Anonymous Feedback Discussion Thread (Updated Nov 6; up to date!)

Here is where discussions will occur regarding layouts, events, surveys, and other site activities and changes. Please keep any criticism appropriate and constructive. We look forward to hearing your ideas and feedback!

Moderator: Admin Aide

Cᴏᴍᴍᴀɴᴅᴇʀ Sʜᴇᴘᴀʀᴅ
Admin
Location: In jail, probably, but that's okay because I work there.
House: Vipera

Anonymous Feedback Discussion Thread (Updated Nov 6; up to date!)

Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:19 pm

• x
      x
      x
      Hey all! As you all know by now, we’ve implemented an anonymous feedback box to help members feel more comfortable sharing concerns, questions, and suggestions with the team. If you didn't know, here's a link to the announcement so that you can get caught up! I know you are all curious about what other members have submitted, so they will be posted here so that you guys can all see and where we will try to answer. Please keep in mind that blatant bashing or inappropriate submissions will be omitted from sharing.

I don't like the idea. I believe it'll be like a popularity contest type of thing. It really isn't necessary either. Like I don't understand why it must be implemented. There isn't really a merit to the house points either. If they resetted every year or every half the year and the members get something, then cool. I don't think there needs to be a running tally for everyone.

I see that this is in regards to the idea of positivity points so this reply is likely moot now, but yes you are definitely heard about not liking that idea! It was voted down and will not be implemented. For the house points in general - you aren’t the first to express that if there was an actual prize that it would hold more weight. Unfortunately, the logistics of that have been challenging - not only would it get tricky based on what the prize was, but also determining who all received it, as I reckon members would have some opinions on this since not all house members participate in the events. For the running tally, I’m not sure I understand entirely. We don’t update terribly often as the main contributors are the afflatus and the events (3-4 main events, sometimes a couple smaller ones). If members would prefer a different system or schedule, we could certainly discuss that sometime? At the moment I’ve been aiming for updates at the end of each major event, done via a post in the Mini Announcements thread.

(what) happened to different backgrounds i hate white

NeverNever will be working on this and we still hope to fill out the team a bit more, so if you or anyone else has any experience and feels they could be a great asset to the team, please please please throw in an application when the time comes! Some of the staff also prefers a darker color scheme so you definitely aren’t alone in that.

I think a good idea to consider might be a dark theme or some kind of night mode? Sometimes the bright white on black causes eyestrain especially when I'm on for long periods of time working on posts and I need to take breaks which in turn delays my replies. Thanks!

Absolutely! Please refer to the above post as hopefully that addresses your submission adequately.

It's not really a suggestion but a question or a... complaint? not really. I have no idea if this belongs here or not but as an AS User I am not ready to share it together with my username so I thought I am going to use this new feature: Don't get me wrong, AS is a great place to roleplay but not a good place to make new friends or feel welcome, at least for me. I have been on AS for quite a long time by now but I do not feel like being part of the community, despite being fairly active. Whenever I post something in my house common room it hardly ever gets reacted to, even if it is a question or an idea what we might do together as a house. Even if people do not like it, they might simply say 'no' or 'no because', however, this is not happening. In my opinion, AS has a few tight-knight users that are very close between each other (what is perfectly fine) but otherwise has no 'real' or let's say functioning community. I feel like I am completely on my own when I face an obstacle on AS or generally just straying around on the page, feeling 'homeless' with no safe harbour to withdraw to. Of course, I know that the staff cannot do anything about single people's attitudes but when people do not reply to my PMs while being otherwise very active it does not make me feel comfortable to come to AS and be active there. I considered quitting this page because of this behaviour, people being generally rude and unwelcoming. I sometimes feel afraid to discuss political or controversial topics on the forum, even if it is just writing down my thoughts, out of fear that users who are somewhat affected by the topic (e.g gender and gender identity) will hammer down on me with unpleasant messages and I guess this says a lot about how I feel about this page. While there are many events to participate in there are (in my opinion, I have been absent for a while) there are hardly any to strengthen the community and the bonds between users. However, I have to be honest: I have no idea how an event like this might look like. As said above, I have absolutely no idea if this belongs here or not, but I thought I might give it a try. Best regards, many thank yous for your hard work and lots of love, a user

Hm, that’s a really tough one. Ideally, members would always be welcoming to new blood - new potential housemates, roleplay partners, friends. But this isn’t always the case. We have noticed this as well in how people often form friend groups and cliques and are sometimes disinterested in new faces. We get comfortable with what we know, and sometimes new and different perspectives and possibilities can feel offputting. I think think there is any single or easy solution to what you have described, but hopefully with others reading, we might all come up with some ideas?

To me it seems like staff has trouble with all the layout work. Why didn't two overseers get picked during the last openings? A second overseer may help AS a lot.

When we were accepting applications before, it was while Meraki was Overseer already, so bringing on another would have totaled 2. Unfortunately, just as we were bringing NeverNever on, Meraki ended up leaving the team, and so we were at just one again. We absolutely intend to rectify this; Overseer projects can be tough and it’s always great to have a second mind to brainstorm and share the load with.

Perhaps, before implementing other ideas, work on what we have right now and improve on them. How can we have more house members participate? How can we further improve on the house events this year? How can we be certain that no one will cheat/take advantage (such as having multiple roleplays going on for the onexone competition) that dissuades users from participating?

This is a very good point and something that we are trying (perhaps poorly) to balance. Input at the end of events is usually jotted down, and this year more than ever I’m working to provide opportunities for people to ask questions before it’s too late - the 1x1 certainly showed that this needs to happen! Typically, event threads are written up in a staff board so that other moderators can have a look in case they notice anything or such is the goal. The 1x1 mishap definitely slipped b me and will not happen again. But as for encouraging participation... That is definitely a struggle. How to encourage without pushing? While the points are great motivators for some, others get tired of the focus on them or think it’s silly since we haven’t yet been able to offer any sort of prize for the house with the most points at the end of the year. Input on how to respectfully encourage member participation is something we absolutely welcome!! We are only a few people out of the whole of the AS userbase, so we can’t always think from every angle!

It seems that staff has problems with overseer duties. If being an overseer takes up so much time to fix things, then shouldn't it be more beneficial for the site to have the only overseer not also be a house keeper? So they can focus on the layouts?

Thus far, we’ve shied away from having the Keepers be their own roles rather than piggy-backed onto an existing team member’s title because it wasn’t seen as enough to keep a person wholly occupied. Also, we try to keep the number of staff a balance with how many active members we have, without going overboard. It’s harder to gauge with the Overseer because while the themes are a huge project, much of the time the Overseer doesn’t have too much on their plate aside from little tasks or researching future ideas. It isn’t as steady in workload as the other roles. This is definitely something I’ll be writing down for future discussion though (whether the Keepers ought to be separate).

I feel like staff is overdoing the discussion about things. While user feedback is good, we don't need to voice our opinion about every single thing happening. We just want to be kept in the loop.

You have a good point about balancing it. So far, we have worked to tackle a couple issues and then let things settle down, so hopefully things are doing okay right now. With the beginning of April, we’ll now have this thread and one for discussing the feedback submitted via the big AS survey. The goal is that the April Poetry event and the Social Media Events are both decently ironed out now thanks to feedback, so that we can focus on bigger issues that have been bugging members beyond single events.
thunderofthedrum
Admin
House: Halcyon

Re: Anonymous Feedback Discussion Thread

Wed May 29, 2019 4:13 pm

• I think you guys need to really work on getting anything done around here. You say you have projects and yet nothing is being worked on. Social Media contest, poetry contest got basically zero input because it wasn't actually really advertised. It's also about time you were looking for new team members because maybe they will get things rolling too. But it seems like nothing is really happening around here.

I’m struggling to know how to respond to this one; if you are able to submit again and elaborate, that would really help! I’m not sure I understand the ‘nothing is being worked on’ as we do have things we are currently working on, though they may be mostly behind the scenes. The social media contest got quite a bit of input so I’m wondering if I’m missing something there. The poetry did get less feedback but it’s a smaller event and I expected that. As for advertisement of it, we did announce it and have it in both the event schedule and the sidebar, plus it was a fairly short event so it’s quite understandable! I’m also very thrown off by the last two sentences - we are currently looking for new team members, per the announcement posted on April 18th by Commander Shepard.

I hope it is okay to speak here because I feel uncomfortable posting on the house thread. ichor has been speaking about apparent bashing going on in the afflatus suggestion and while I know it will be posted in the afflatus, it feels a sort of odd that only Halcyon is being directly addressed. Because if I would be rude in the afflatus (which I haven't been), the last thing I would have done is pick my own house while putting my rudeness. So yeah, I just felt the need to point out that the 'rude' halcyon members may not even be from Halcyon. Of course this doesn't justify anything. I had just hoped that other Keepers would also post a similar message to their houses if it was a site wide problem.

Absolutely fine to message here; that’s what it’s here for. The reason that ichor asked if it was okay to post to Halcyon specifically is because multiple recent submissions from Halcyon members have been inappropriately rude. I told her it was fine by me. I do feel it’s likely that the members are indeed Halcyon as the benefit of saying the house is for the points received. But you do have a point that you never know! As for site-wide, I did also post a message in the Mini Announcements thread that I hope all members keep up with. The one I posted was not afflatus-specific, however. I wrote it up a few weeks ago but took some time tweaking it as some wording had been written when I was emotionally compromised and needed to be improved. Hopefully that clears things up, though if you have suggestions on how to have better done things, we are always happy to listen!

After going quiet for some time, I have had an account inaccessible to me (hence my current one) and on this current one, I've been removed from accessing the explicit boards. Does this happen to everyone who is inactive for an X amount of time? I find it rather unfair, considering that my life and my mental health come first and sometimes I just fall out of the hobby. I'd hate to bother people again and again to get access to everything because I'm not active.

Hm, I’m curious to know more information about this case - when did the removal happen, if you know? We did change something about our system of permissions for this area around the start of the year and a handful of users did get dropped somehow but if it was at a time other than this then I’m not sure what could have occurred. Either way, please feel free to PM Commander Shepard to inquire about getting access again!

I noticed there are now many icons on the side bar. Is there any way to make this collapsable? It takes up quite some space on my phone and it limits my usual way of navigating the (mobile) site. Also the link to the announcements seems a bit redundant there. Since people would only read announcements if there are new ones and the sidebar icon doesn't indicate any new posts being made there. Either way, if it is possible to collapse the icons like we can also do with forum sections, it would be great!

I am going to write this down - it did come up before as some users were hesitant about the addition of the sidebar and how it would impact the overall layout, and I can’t recall what happened from it. I want to say collapsing it in width is not possible, but it’s a great point to bring up and also makes me wonder - how does the sidebar look on mobile for people? For me, it is at the bottom of the page so it never interferes with anything (and it should be on the bottom for everyone) so I’m hoping to find out if it’s different for anyone else. As for links to the announcements.. I’m hesitant to take that out because unfortunately many people do not keep up with the announcements and so we have liked the idea of an accessible little reminder of its presence. Your thought of the icon indicating whether there is a new post is awesome, but unfortunately not possible right now as the icons are just things I put together.

Why...why is there gigantic click symbols on the side now? They don't fit in with the site. They are HUGE and make scrolling, especially on mobile, a hassle now. There really was zero need for them. Honestly they look like something for an adoptable site, not a roleplaying site. They look like something for a kid site, not a mature roleplay site. Plus half of them aren't even relevant. I don't need to know the team page, and I'm positive the afflatus won't be updated all the time so there is no reason for that. At MOST the anon box and maybe rules are important, but they still look horrible.

This post was a little borderline rude with telling us how horrible you think things are, to be honest. Perhaps in the future, you could include more constructive comments such as alternative suggestions? Yes, the icons are a little on the large side and are being tested out. While I did want the icons smaller, the size of the text needs to be legible which impacts how many can fit on a row. The width of the sidebar was measured on a small laptop to allow for regular computer use, and I am still gathering information on how the sidebar appears for people on mobile as for me it is at the bottom, as right-side sidebars tend to be. As for how their style looks ‘adoptable’ or ‘kid site’ ish to you, I’m not really able to comment as that’s a matter of opinion and possibly stemming from the fact that we haven’t really done icons before. The afflatus does get posted in regularly though if you mean the new issues posted, those are on a monthly schedule. The team page is there as many users have requested better familiarity with the staff and the link in the regular drop-down did not previously link to our custom page.

I will add a few more responses in the next 24 hours!
Happy October!

- Finalize the AS survey results ✔
- Update the anon box thread - in progress
- Announce new Overseer ✔
- Discuss the workshop idea
- Post AS survey results - in progress
- Post NaNoWriMo event - in progress

Campout • Nanowrimo • Halloween • bachelorette party • birthdays • Thanksgiving

Happy Birthday to all of the October blueberries!
thunderofthedrum
Admin

Re: Anonymous Feedback Discussion Thread (May 29)

Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:29 am

• i don't have a suggestion, i just wanted to let you guys know that i noticed the new icons on the sidebar, and i think they're really cool!! huge kudos to whoever made them. i love the website and i hope you guys are all having a great day!!!!

Holy moly I am glad to hear it!! We are still working to finesse the icons some more as we know they are a bit large for some people, but hopefully they can be a good resource. Thank you for the positive feedback!

i think it'd be interesting if you added a way to change the color of the site. like different colors and stuff? maybe be able to do your own custom colors using hexcodes for the header and background? that would be really cool!

This sounds AWESOME. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to implement this or if it’s even possible. Unfortunately Overseer is not a position many people apply for and each one comes with their own bit of knowledge, but this is a really neat idea and as time allows, it would be interesting to look into so that we could at least give an answer about whether it’s possible.
      Note: this response was written before we got another Overseer.

your icons to the right aren't properly lined up

Thank you for the heads up! There was a little hiccup in the HTML and we believe we have fixed it now.

I love these quick click options! And this box was a great idea too. ?

Thank you!! The initial idea was on a whim and the icons aren’t necessarily the final product, but I’m happy with it overall. We are looking into making the icons a bit smaller and finding more efficient and discreet methods of displaying the text. Also VERY glad to hear you like the anon box - I know it can be really intimidating to bring things up, not only due to not knowing staff but also since then your name is out there or you worry your opinion may not be shared by others.

Sounds like a wide stretch, but perhaps make a user generator for 1x1s? So you make a generator list of users who have posted on the site in the past two weeks or a month and whoever wants a random 1x1 partner can use this generator to find themselves a partner without having to make an advertisement post. Alternatively, you could send out a site-wide message to users and ask their permission to be added to the list and they can choose to take themselves off the list at any time by messaging an admin.

I really like that this idea would be more ‘real time’ in a sense, but ultimately I think it would get too complicated. While I would have no issue with a user grabbing the names from the most recent posts in the 1x1 search thread and posting them somewhere for use in an online list randomizer, having a list maintained by staff likely wouldn’t be very efficient, many wouldn’t think to remove themselves when inactive, and people may not like having names generated that end up having nothing in common in their RP desires.

you should try and see if you can do real-time notifications like facebook does where you don't have to refresh

This idea is super neat, but at this time I’m not sure how it could be achieved. For this and a couple other ideas, I’m noting them in our Overseer chat so that there are some ideas to research!

Not sure if its the recent site update or my phone and I having a fight but since the update on both Mobile and desktop versions I can only get the site horizontally and not vertically. I know that's small and petty but I have a much harder time writing when I can see little but my keyboard. I wanted to bring it up in case it was bug that could be fixed up easily. - a quiet patient member

This is definitely news to me. I haven’t heard this issue from anyone else, but at least for now am asking the team if they’ve heard of anyone having this same problem! If you're still having this issue please let us know!

Near the end of the year, can we have an open discussion board to discuss what events we would like to keep and which events were not a particular favorite (and could use improvement or to be removed altogether). I think this would be better option to openly discuss and speak to members rather than to use a suggestion box. It is sort of like a meeting. It could be hosted for a day or for a few days.

I think that’s a great idea, and perhaps a simple poll or survey to go along with it. We would probably want to set some general standards - for example some people absolutely love a certain event but really don’t care for another. We could discuss something like as long as an event gets X amount of positive feedback, we keep it, for example, or as long as the ratio of good feedback to bad is a certain way.

Thank you to staff for listening to our concerns, complaints, and suggestions and letting us know that you are keeping them in mind, as well as giving us great notice for the recent site update. It is appreciated and the communication on here from staff members is much improved. Keep up the great work, you're appreciated!"

Thank you, that positive feedback is very appreciated! We do our best but I know there is still a ways to go. It's feedback like that that helps us strive to make AS a great place to be since this is all volunteer based.

just wanted to let you guys know i'm really excited for 100 days of summer and i really appreciate the love you put into this site and the events!!

Yay!!! Love hearing people feel excited for certain events! They all require a fair bit of planning and coordination but I’m hopeful that every year they will continue to improve. This year, one inconsistency we are trying to fix is when the prompts are posted to make sure you guys get that information fairly and on time. Sorry I was late making the sub-board though! I know people were probably anxious to get started with creating their threads and getting everything ready for the start of the event.

i'd love to see something in the same vein as the staff survey, but for each individual staff member. like, letting us rate them on different aspects of their roles in their position, as well as overall friendliness/kindness/etc., i hesitate to even suggest it because i know some users may abuse something like this, especially if left to be anonymous, but on the opposite end i think it'll help staff members feel happier to receive awesome, individually tailored feedback for all the hard work that you guys do for the site.

We have a rough draft of exactly this but it was intended for a while back before some staff changes occurred. We are also revamping it because setting up a way to concisely share the submissions and feedback from the previous survey has been such a hassle (we are looking into possibly a google form instead). The website we used before was GREAT for setting up the survey, but accessing, analyzing, and sharing the results has been disappointing due to some features requiring a paid subscription which is not cheap! I agree that staff member feedback is really important - sometimes we aren't aware of areas that need improvement and sure, sometimes a person might show a different face to different people. We are human, after all. Love that you are interested in providing additional feedback, thank you!

The entire Advanced Scribes banner should be a hyperlink to the home page, not just a single section somewhere in the word "Advanced.

Hmm, that is strange honestly. I never utilize that link but just checked it out and you are totally right. Likely something to do with the layout of the site. We will note this in the Overseer chat and have it looked into once we fill the slot. Thanks for bringing it up!
Happy October!

thunderofthedrum
Admin

Re: Anonymous Feedback Discussion Thread (October 7)

Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:30 am

• “Could you try fixing the different board preferences to have the same dimensions? When someone codes a thread, it's thrown completely off because of it”

The big difference is currently between the Milk based themes and the Prosilver based themes. Since I bought the Milk layout last year per Meraki’s recommendation, we have shifted towards that being our default and we are no longer going to be supporting the Prosilver theme(s). We highly recommend switching to the Milk based themes - within those, the dimensions and coding should all stay consistent. Milk based themes are any besides the Prosilver one(s), ie Twilight and another that’s coming to you ASAP. Please see HERE for additional information and a related poll hosted by our Overseer!

“I don't want to sound impatient and I am sure that more users have the same wonders. Now that there wasn't a new overseer picked during the last staff applications, does this mean that there won't be a dark theme for the forseeable future? We have been waiting for a year, if not longer. Will there ever be new themes? Do we have to wait for a new overseer to join staff?”

I totally understand; there are definitely many that feel the same as you! Luckily this has recently changed and Deer has been kind enough to make time for creating an additional theme for those of you who aren’t keen on white assaulting you at every chance. xD We did have to keep some aspects very light due to coding and other items that would be negatively affected, but I think she reached a great compromise that will hopefully help many users who have been waiting for so long.

“Re-enable the deletion of posts in the Personal Storage forum if or where possible”

I have made a note of this and will look into it! We have some more time-sensitive projects going on right now as we transition from the art event into Nanowrimo, but I have added this to the list and we will certainly give it a look as soon as we can.

“I'm frustrated with the cliques that are seemingly all that remains of the site. I've been on here since 2013, and it's been hard to see the site disintegrate so far.”

I get it. I really do. With a site of our size, it is so easy for people to get comfortable with their friend groups and be less than welcoming to newcomers hoping to make new connections. Unfortunately, there is only so much we can do - we can’t force people to take a chance on new partners, or to make sure they include everyone in every discussion. We are doing our best to promote a positive and welcoming community, but it isn’t possible for us to police attitudes beyond following the rules. It’s been a frustration and a challenge for us as well, as we hate seeing members feel this way and I'm sorry I don't have a better answer at this time.
Happy October!

thunderofthedrum
Admin

Re: Anonymous Feedback Discussion Thread (Nov 1 2019)

Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:53 pm

• “Next year I really think you should make the challenges of 100DoS optional. A lot of them turn me off of the prompts completely, and I would like the option to ignore them and just write the prompt if I choose to.”

We do hear you, and it’s fair to assume you aren’t the only one who feels this way. The prompts are really beneficial as a LOT of people tend to stay inside their comfort zone, and these little challenges push people to try new things and explore outside of that little safety bubble, but I understand that not everyone is comfortable with that and sometimes they can feel too challenging. We did initially discuss making them worth some points in themselves, but manually checking every seventh prompt in each thread for completion of each challenge would be WAY too time consuming to be worth it for staff. I’m making a note of your input so that at some point we can discuss this.

“Is staff working on a better way to hold back spam bots? Lately there have been a lot and I feel like it could be handled more efficiently.”

We switched to including the Introductions area this year for multiple reasons and this was one of them. We’ll certainly review what types of accounts have access to which areas to make sure spam is very limited in access, and will look into what other resources may be available to us!

“Hey! So I've been talking with a few friends from AS and we all agree that the bumping system is more rude and less helpful for bumping roleplay threads. Especially since we have PM's where you could just shoot a quick message to someone to see what's going on. The bumping system for the roleplay threads just make it a lot more stressful and more nerve-wracking, not just to me but to a few others, I see its use in the listing, just the roleplays are just a bit rude.”

We really haven’t seen this feature used very much in the RP section and, while I can understand how you may feel this way, there are also members who feel that a little bump is much less invasive and stressful than having to reach out with a private message. As we aren’t finding any conclusive reason to do away with the bump system at this time, it will continue to be available. If you feel strongly about not having your roleplay threads bumped, we recommend you send your partner(s) a friendly PM letting them know that you’d appreciate a message over a bump in the future!

8/14/2019
      “Perhaps it would be a good idea to disable the ability of normal users to create topics in the Rules & Announcements. I don't think users should ever make topics there and it seems to be the first forum where spam bots go if they are not caught in time (see the current 4 spam threads there)”

You are absolutely right that they should not be able to. Thank you for bringing this to my attention!

8/16/2019
      “Is this box still being used? I feel like it has been abandoned since the end of may.”

Yes! The summer was hectic for many, especially myself, and you are ENTIRELY right that I’ve gotten pretty behind. I had the survey on my mind, had 100 Days of Summer on my mind, and this fell down in priorities and that wasn’t right. I’m working to put together a regular checklist to refer to every week or so, to help me keep up with things, better delegate, and also be accountable by the team.

8/18/2019
      “for the afflatus, maybe we could have best friend questions as part of the character interview section?? personally i like to complete the quizzes based off characters i have in my rps, but normally that means they don't have a significant other that i feel comfortable answering the questions for, considering it's usually my partner's character”

Of course you can! While many prefer for the One True Pairing reference to be in a romantic context, there is certainly no rule stating that you MUST interpret it this way. Some members see this as an opportunity to explore their character and their partner’s, even as a joint effort together with their partner, but if you don’t feel comfortable, your character has no interest, or this simply doesn’t appeal to you, you can absolutely go this route and do it as a best friend OTP.

8/20/2019
      “A thread for people to get help with coding.”

I am happy to say this does exist, and we’d love some new interest in there to liven the place up! It is located here and we’ll make a point to make sure it’s up to date.

8/28/2019
      “Have a casual roleplay area, for an area that doesn't require a word count. I believe that this would help with writer's block by being able to allow free, easy, and care free writing. You could regulate by only allowing a user to have one post there or being in one casual roleplay”

Your input is appreciated! However in this case, an area like this specifically does go against the purpose of this forum. Strider wanted the forum to be a haven for people who love to write more and many forums have no expectations or requirements set for this. Rather than wade through websites with such widely varying writing levels, he wanted a central place where people could start off on more even footing, so that they could focus more on their fandoms, plots, and other fun together. That said, you could certainly do some short personal writing pieces, or perhaps roleplay via PMs with a partner? We do not regulate roleplay post length in PMs, and your BBCode will still work there.

9/11/2019
      “Hi. I'm sorry if this comes off as complain-ish, theres no other way for me to word it. i noticed after a few years on this website, the activity and number of active members at a time as decreased significantly. is this due to different advertising techniques? I see other rp websites have over 100 people online, but i cant really transition to those sites because they often have cluttered looking layouts and don't appear as appealing and simple as AS.”

Not complainish at all! You hit the nail on the head in a way - we really haven’t ever prioritized advertising, and perhaps now is a good time to start. Do you know of any bustling websites that we could swap ads on? Or even websites that are made purely for advertising on? Feel free to send me a PM to further discuss this if you feel comfortable doing so. I’m happy to hear that you genuinely prefer AS’ aesthetics and we welcome ideas on how to continue making it a good place to be.

9/13/2019
      “Hi, i am a rather new member of AS but I have noticed that people are not very friendly here. I often send PMs to people or receive them asking about roleplays and never get a response back. Perhaps the staff could post a friendly reminder about just being nice and be decent enough to either decline and say that they are busy or something (I of course understand this is not always possible) but generally”

Unfortunately this is not something we are able to do. While we absolutely have rules about not being nasty to each other, bullying, harassing, spamming, etc, we can’t police everyone’s manners and make sure they say ‘please’ and ‘thank you’ to each other. I totally get what you are saying and I definitely know how frustrating it is to know your PM has been read and know that the recipient just can’t be bothered to give you 15 seconds of their time to just acknowledge it and politely turn you down. It can be really disheartening, especially when you are new and it feels like everyone has already made friends. Still though, monitoring behavior to that level is something that is neither feasible nor appropriate from forum staff as that is more along the lines of parenting. Chin up! Someone will reply and I’m sure you’ll get to start some roleplays soon!

10/13/2019
      “hi, i was looking through the rules and one area inparticular confused me. "Any age gaps from 16 years up must be consensual(meaning even if your character is 18 and the other is 34, if the sexual contact is not consensual, it's not okay)." is there a reason for this number of years specifically, and with regard to noncon? is the site hosted in a country with these kinds of laws?”

What the rules are stating here is that any sexual intimacy between characters under 16 years of age is not permitted, and that 16+ years old characters with significant age gaps still should stay consensual. However, we do understand that the guidelines for explicit are very unclear currently, and it’s high on our priority list to work on improving this and providing better clarity to members, so keep an eye out for updates to this!

10/22/2019
      “let us change the background into something custom or like, change the colors on the tabs and stuff”

As I can only really say that such a thing would be tricky to set up, likely not free, and probably not even compatible with our forum, here is a better explanation of why this isn’t really feasible from our Overseer:

“phpBB layouts exists of themes and templates. The themes hold any specific css for the layout, and the templates wrap the needed html / php combination. Due to this filesystem and the way the phpbb framework is set up, it is impossible to enable user based customisation. It would mean that any theme that would be generated would need a separate copy of the whole theme and template, so it is not as easy as one might think. Next to that, there would also need to be management of themes. How are they stored? How are they deleted? Can two users use the same custom theme?

As you can see, it is much more work as just switching on a feature, which your suggestion seems to indicate by the way it is put. The forum is reliable on the phpbb framework, which doesn't support these features as far as staff is aware.”

If for some reason you are unable to use our current themes due to eye issues or some other need, you are always welcome to contact staff and/or make suggestions in the appropriate thread!

10/22/2019
      “the person who is supposed to be sending out bday messages isn't”

Thank you very much for letting us know! This is very important to us as we know how much members enjoy it and are actively looking into this and how to improve our communication to avoid it happening in the future. If this happened to you, please feel free to PM me and that will give me a little more info to investigate. I hope you had a wonderful birthday!!

10/31/2019
      I know people complaining about the (lack) of community on AS is common, and is something I have had issues with myself. This isn't really something the admin team can really fix or prevent, as it happens everywhere, but I can't help but feel like making an effort to attract (and keep) new members would help some. Has advertisement for AS been considered? Although AS is my main site, I am part of other, larger sites as well, and most have a section where other sites can be advertised, although this usually means their site would need to be advertised on AS as well. There are also several "voting" websites for top RP sites; even if AS couldn't make the front page, I think it could still help to get the website out there and accessible. and perhaps this has already been considered; just a thought!

If you feel comfortable, I’d LOVE for you to send me a message to further discuss this. You are right in that we really don’t pursue advertising like we could. An earlier anonymous submission also asked about this somewhat. There are certainly a few people who worry AS has reached its peak already, but I really don’t think that is necessarily true. I feel we have great potential and certainly welcome input and ideas as to how we can bring AS into the future and achieve better visibility.
Happy October!