How to Create a Better Community on AS: Discussion

Here is where discussions will occur regarding layouts, events, surveys, and other site activities and changes. Please keep any criticism appropriate and constructive. We look forward to hearing your ideas and feedback!

Moderator: Admin Aide

What kind on Roleplay Competition would you like to see in 2020?

1x1 Competition
49%
Group Roleplay Competition
8%
Both types running at the same time
44%

Total votes: 39
Cas
Global Moderator
House: Sagacitas

How to Create a Better Community on AS: Discussion

Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:41 am

xxxxAs the year draws to a close, we want to address some of the comments we've received. From your feedback, we understand that you guys feel like there is a lack of community feeling and spirit on the site at the moment and we want to help change that!

xxxxHowever, we cannot make this change alone. To create a community spirit, we need to bring everyone together. Which is why we need your help - we want your suggestions for events and ways to bring the Advanced Scribes community together. Use this space to talk about what you think works well on AS to create a community feeling and also what you think doesn't work as well in achieving that goal.

xxxxFurther, we want to get some feedback on the AS House system and what you feel about it. For this, we would love for as many people as possible to fill out this form: AS Houses Feedback. Your voice really does matter here, as it will help shape how the House system on AS is going forward! NOTE: This form will remain open until AROUND the 18th of January, 2020. Please submit your answers to this form before that time! In addition to this, there is a quick poll at the top of this post, inquiring as to what kind of Roleplay competition you guys are interested in this year. Please vote!

xxxxUltimately, we want YOUR suggestions to make Advanced Scribes the best it can be and to make its community a closer one as we march on towards the New Year. Please do post on this thread, and get talking with both us, and fellow Scribers!

xxxxHappy Holidays,
xxxxAS Staff

xxxxP. S.: You can find a short summary of the big points/topics that have been brought up so far below!

Hidden text.
Summary of all main discussion points
If topics/points made are missing, please contact/ping either Cas or sylver.
Last updated: December 28th, 2019

Great Hall -> Revamping the Great Hall into a 2.0
(Pro) Stays onsite, promotes onsite activity
(Con) May be too active; may turn off European/different users in different timezones from chatting

Chatbox -> Putting an onsite Chatbox like those of Lioden & other sites
(Pro) Stays onsite, promotes onsite activity; not everyone has discord so can fill in for that; promotes a "just jump in when you can" feeling, so eliminates the feeling of having to read through everything one missed
(Con) May be too difficult to implement; old fashioned/outdated; potential of being chaotic; may be difficult to moderate; relies on the phpbb extension maintainer to update the extension for new forum software

Discord -> Making an official/unofficial discord for AS
(Pro) Efficient, lots of people have discord; promotes a "just jump in when you can" feeling, so eliminates the feeling of having to read through everything one missed; brings a sense of community (as seen with other servers in the past); easier to set up, easier to organize with channels; preferred method of communication for most
(Cons) Unmoderated/unofficial server could get ugly fast, no neutral party to step in and mediate, the potential of fights, drama, and cliques forming; not everyone has discord/wants to use it so they may be left out and idea of sending out announcements on the platform may not be feasible; may require (near) constant moderation; may promote taking everything to discord instead of onsite; easy for spam; potential for people to form clique-y servers without moderators; creating moderation roles just for discord seems redundant.

Feedback Council -> Idea of implementing a member council to be the "voice of the people"/rotating every so often to make sure everyone is heard
(Pros) May be less scary talking to a regular user instead of a moderator; could be the 'bridge' between staff and regular roleplayers
(Con) Can bring an elitist/'better than you' attitude to those who volunteered; can promote the idea that they shouldn't come to staff with concerns; attendants are already intended to be a bridge between users and other staff

Event Changes -> Ideas of making randomized events to get players together, like drawing names or picking partners from questionnaires for the 1x1 comp, or partners in 100 DOS
(Pro) Would likely get people that haven't talked to one another talking, likewise would introduce people to one another, if staff got in on it, too, it could 'bridge' the gap
(Con) Not everyone will feel comfortable in doing this; some people may get partners that they just don't stick with, idea of skill/limits/pairing people together may arise; for 100 DoS people will likely just pick their friends, not exactly meeting/getting on with new people

New reward systems -> Implement new rewards to be more satisfying/provide a greater participation incentive
(Pro) May encourage more participation if the prices are more appealing (such as badges to be shown off, coloured usernames and/or "titles" that are purely cosmetic, specific mentions for specific achievements, community rewards by members like art, moodboards, drabbles, etc.)
(Con) “Achievement mentions" (such as best character, best dialogue, etc) may make people feel down when they do not receive any votes; some possible rewards (such as badges) may only be able to be implemented next event season to iron them out properly first

Revamping the point system -> Change the way points are earned to make things seem fairer and/or take away a bit of the competitive edge
(Pro) May encourage participation if point rewards are more balanced; may strengthen community feeling if the point is a total contributed to by all users to see how much can be earned rather than every house having their own total
(Con) May be disappointing to those who do enjoy a bit of competition in their events

Houses -> Houses are unbalanced since some are smaller and less active than others. It can feel unfair, can promote clique-y feeling and unhealthy competition. Feelings are varied; some users do like the houses at least in theory, while others don't care for them at all. Suggestions so far: scrap houses entirely (at least temporarily), merge houses (for example, only two big houses rather than four), less focus on house-based events to earn more points to instead promote activity, etc.

Advertising -> Attract and keep new members. (More) usage of social media, voting sites, advertisement servers/websites, etc.

Staff activity -> Staff should be more active, particularly the higher ups (admins). More interaction with userbase is desired. If not enough time can be committed to the site, allowing someone with enough time to take over may be needed. If necessary, admins should delegate more tasks/give more power to other staff to allow for quicker response/action by the rest of the team.

Social media -> Users would like to see more activity on our social media channels apart from the SM challenge and announcements, as it may also attract attention by possible new users.
Cas
Global Moderator

Actions Taken as a Result of Discussion

Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:28 am

Here, I shall post the main issues that have been brought up here, and the actions that are currently being taken by staff. See it as a peek behind the curtain, so you guys know that we are taking all your concerns seriously! Stay tuned for updates!

Great Hall V.2
Currently has not been discussed by staff outside of this thread

Chatbox / Discord
Has been greatly discussed. Given popularity on this thread, steps are being made to prepare a 'Trial Discord Server' - a server that will run on a trial basis so that the staff can get an idea of activity, level of moderation needed and indeed, how to maintain a server of that potential size.

Feedback Council
Yet to be discussed in depth. The general idea, which has been identified on this thread, is that a) this could create a divide between an 'elite' set of users and 'regular' users. B) the attendant role is designed to be the bridge between Staff and AS user.

Event Changes
Yet to be discussed; please comment more on what you would like to change, which events you like/dislike, etcetera.

New reward systems
Slowly being discussed. Initial thoughts: love the idea!

Revamping the point system
Slowly being discussed; waiting on the House Feedback Forms to make definitive decisions.

Houses
In discussion, but waiting on the House Feedback Forms to make definitive decisions

Advertising
This is under discussion, and worked upon. morningstar has compiled a document of various ways to advertise and this is being looked over.

Staff activity
Taken completely into account. Waiting on admin to post here to go further into this.
╔══════════════════════════╗

i'm a nerdy english lit and creative
writing student who is currently
back at uni and studying constantly!

currently: writing two of four essays I
need to complete by the 2nd of
January!

reading: Michel Faber's 'Under the Skin'
playing: minecraft, animal crossing (nl)

╚══════════════════════════╝
lil || the harvey to my mike || a safe haven || to learn and grow || but the search goes on || among the stars|| talk anytime
as a global mod, i'm here to help! any questions, any time, send them my way, either by pm, or discord: hippxcrates #6675 !
Kami
Silver Belt

Re: How to Create a Better Community on AS: Discussion

Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:07 pm

Cas wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:28 am
hullo! this is a space where we'd love to see your ideas for how to bring the community together - we can't do this alone! so does anyone have any ideas?

Personally, I think a good idea might be drawing more focus to chat areas like the Great Hall, so all users can interact together. But that does rely a lot on members actually using it, so I'm not too sure.

Thoughts?
    • I myself personally refrained from participating in the Great Hall, but not out of malice. When it was first created, there were SO many active people, that for a person with an unlucky timezone (a.k.a. a European), keeping up with it was nearly impossible. It was already a bit of a hassle to keep up with my own house as I'd wake up to 30+ pages of new content that had to be looked through so I'd understand what was going on, haha.

So, me personally, I prefer to lurk and only drop in when I think my input/words will be of use. While I do agree that trying to bring the existence of such a thread to any old members or newcomers is very important (something I stress in the welcoming messages whenever I greet someone as their new Keeper), advertising it too much might make people not want to participate out of principle. Then again, when you see a dead thread, it doesn't feel all that fun to write there as there's a high chance you'll be ignored since it's, well, dead. It might be just my own opinion, but that's what stops me.

I feel that, like, a re-vamp would be nice. We'd make a Great Hall V2 and judge activity based on that; it may be a fresh start for a, possibly new era of this system, and see if it's even worth salvaging. But while I personally don't think that might bring a lot of results, it's an idea worth exploring, IMO.
Night Fury
Black Belt

Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:23 am

It's been a bit since I've been on here, so I'm still kind of catching up with everything - but if you want an area or space that kind of gives you the Great Hall vibe - you could always consider having chat box on the site. Idk if people are still into that or not - I'll admit it was more popular back when I was a teen lol - but I always thought it was kind of fun to have a small chat box on one side of whatever site I was on where I could just chat with members and not even mess with making a whole entire thread for it. A lot of people like discord these days, but not everyone has a discord - so a chat box would kind of fill in for that? I'm not sure if that'd work the site's set up - so it's just an idea.
python regius
Blue Belt
House: Halcyon

Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:18 am

• I've said it before but I'll say it here: advertisement and new members. Advertisement will bring in new members, although keeping them is a different issue entirely. People want to find a partner or a group they can connect with and chat with and be close friends with; you can't find that on a site with few new members coming in/sticking around and a user base that is old with those groups already formed. It's much harder to fit into a group of friends than it is to bring together a new group of friends.
    Unfortunately, grouping is just a thing that is going to happen and nobody can really be upset about that.

I agree a chat would be nice, and think discord would be the most effective (since I think a chat box had been brought up before and the coding was too difficult/non-existent for this format?) since lots of people use discord and it's less "you'll have to catch up on all this content" and more just "jump in when you're online". I've brought this up before and was let know moderation is an issue but I don't feel moderating a discord group of users would be too difficult for a few members often online (and perhaps new members would need to be assigned as moderators there but I'm sure there's many willing to help)
    An "unofficial" discord is also an option - not endorsed by and not moderated by AS staff, so level of moderation them falls to the owner of the server.

Staff activity is another thing I'd like to bring up in relation to the issue. Some of AS staff simply aren't that active (esp high up); infrequent posting on the forums, infrequent or not roleplaying, frequent delays on event results, and taking many days to weeks to answer messages at all levels of moderation (although some are super active). To me this comes off as a lack of prioritization for the site (and when compared to the rest of life it may be very unimportant) but this often conveys to members the site is not worth the effort or is not worth the social effort/the site is just a useful tool for roleplays and that's it.
    This may be an issue only I have, and it's definitely not meant to call anyone out, just some of the reasons I have come to be rather discouraged in bringing new people to AS and have joined other sites on the side.
noctenne
Yellow Belt

Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:57 am

• I'm just gonna jump in real quick with my opinion. I haven't been around for a while, but in returning, I did notice some of the same things that python pointed out and agree. I know it has been said before anonymously or otherwise, but there seems to be a a lack of community in terms of the older user base interacting with newer users, which as guessed, can be discouraging for site growth and enthusiasm. Like python so excellently explained, it's more difficult to try and involve yourself with an already established group of people compared to bringing a group of new individuals together to form their own. While this is evident, their point regarding the ability to form those new groups and advertisement in getting those unestablished people is a very good basis for a solution.

Regarding the discord thing, I know that there was a discord server in the past that a lot of AS members joined that was unofficial. While that was a long time ago, it definitely brought people together I think. That said, I know there might be concern in the activity shifting from the AS forums to discord, but spreading the platforms in which word can get around, or even general communication is so valuable, especially considering the speed in which things can be passed around on discord. Both of python's ideas regarding moderation or non-moderation by AS staff was also really cool too since it just goes to show that there are a lot of avenues in which AS can branch out a bit more. That said, I think there could certainly be more activity through twitter, tumblr, facebook and perhaps other platforms. The more we can spread the word and give further opportunities for communication and participation and community, the better, at least in my opinion!

One other point I wanted to make was also addressed recently within the survey but while others have addressed it, I certainly feel a lack of community within the houses. Both within the houses themselves and outside of them seem to cause the issue of being constrained and not being able to spread out further. While I am unsure of whether it'd be better to get rid of the house system altogether, the point system involved, or simply rework both or one of them, I can't say. However, I do think AS is in need of some change in some form regarding the houses.

I don't have much to add onto what python said regarding AS staff activity as they made points that I entirely agree with. However, I would like to note that AS was my first love of an roleplaying site and I have more fond memories on here than anywhere else on the internet, but with time comes a need for change and I'm glad to see that the site is finally in the position to accept that now!
sylver
Attendant

Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:57 pm

• I’d like to flutter in here briefly to pick up on some of the things that have already been said and add my own input/thoughts/views.
python regius wrote:
  • I've said it before but I'll say it here: advertisement and new members. Advertisement will bring in new members, although keeping them is a different issue entirely. People want to find a partner or a group they can connect with and chat with and be close friends with; you can't find that on a site with few new members coming in/sticking around and a user base that is old with those groups already formed. It's much harder to fit into a group of friends than it is to bring together a new group of friends.
    Unfortunately, grouping is just a thing that is going to happen and nobody can really be upset about that.
  • advertising the site is definitely something that has been discussed among staff, albeit very briefly. while i do agree that some sort of advertisement is needed to increase the influx of new members, there are a lot of different things to consider when it comes to “marketing” of any kind. of course, i’m not sure what kind of advertising you were referring to specifically, but for the sake of elaborating on my point a bit further, i’ll just go with the kind of advertising you see other sites/companies use, such as banners on other site.

one major fact is cost. advertisements can be quite expensive, depending on where they are displayed (small sites = less expensive, less traffic, whereas big sites = more expensive, but a broader/deeper “user pool”), during which times of the day they are displayed (higher site traffic times = more expensive ad slot), how often and for how long they are displayed, etc. in addition to that, getting something like a professional banner made can be quite costly too - unless, of course, someone on site were willing to make them for free, which isn’t a safe enough option to rely on in my opinion. advertisement would have to be paid by staff members and, unfortunately, this isn’t something that can be done with a couple of dollars/spare change. please keep in mind that we do not get paid for being on staff, this is essentially "volunteer work" for us, so anything we invest into the site would be out of our own pockets from whatever irl income/jobs we have. for many of us, it's not a matter of not wanting to invest into the site, but rather a matter of not being able to invest anything more than free time. even though i personally wouldn’t mind contributing in any way i can, it’s also perfectly understandable that other staff members wouldn’t (or simply can’t) pitch in with cash.

there are also a lot of different things apart from the cost to be kept in mind. determining target audience, finding suitable partners/sites to advertise our site with and communicating with them, going over the many different ad forms to find one that works best and, if possible, minimizes cost and maximizes the audience reached, etc. do we pay for banners that just get pushed for a certain time frame/a certain amount of times to any users on the site? do we pay for something that works a bit more like targeted facebook ads, where you actually give them a target audience with age/sex/interests to distribute the ad to? do we pay for a fixed amount of views for those, or do we only pay for actual “interactions”?

advertising/marketing are very complex topics. the factors i listed above are but a fraction of all the consideration, time, effort and resources that need to be put into an endeavour like that, so if we ever decide to properly work on implementing a marketing/advertisement mechanic, it will most likely require a while to come up with a plan and execute it. there are, of course, free ways of advertising as well, such as sharing AS on other sites in advertisement subforums, but the effectiveness of this is somewhat questionable to me since such subforums are rarely frequented as far as i know (plus, it would also require time to find, join and advertise on said sites regardless).

regardless, i’d really like to thank you for the feedback and let you know once again that it’s something we’ve thought of as well! you’ve made some amazing points and we’ll definitely be keeping those in mind to see what we can and can’t do for the site regarding ads.
Night Fury wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:23 am
It's been a bit since I've been on here, so I'm still kind of catching up with everything - but if you want an area or space that kind of gives you the Great Hall vibe - you could always consider having chat box on the site. Idk if people are still into that or not - I'll admit it was more popular back when I was a teen lol - but I always thought it was kind of fun to have a small chat box on one side of whatever site I was on where I could just chat with members and not even mess with making a whole entire thread for it. A lot of people like discord these days, but not everyone has a discord - so a chat box would kind of fill in for that? I'm not sure if that'd work the site's set up - so it's just an idea.
python regius wrote:
  • I agree a chat would be nice, and think discord would be the most effective (since I think a chat box had been brought up before and the coding was too difficult/non-existent for this format?) since lots of people use discord and it's less "you'll have to catch up on all this content" and more just "jump in when you're online". I've brought this up before and was let know moderation is an issue but I don't feel moderating a discord group of users would be too difficult for a few members often online (and perhaps new members would need to be assigned as moderators there but I'm sure there's many willing to help)
    An "unofficial" discord is also an option - not endorsed by and not moderated by AS staff, so level of moderation them falls to the owner of the server.
noctenne wrote:
      • Regarding the discord thing, I know that there was a discord server in the past that a lot of AS members joined that was unofficial. While that was a long time ago, it definitely brought people together I think. That said, I know there might be concern in the activity shifting from the AS forums to discord, but spreading the platforms in which word can get around, or even general communication is so valuable, especially considering the speed in which things can be passed around on discord. Both of python's ideas regarding moderation or non-moderation by AS staff was also really cool too since it just goes to show that there are a lot of avenues in which AS can branch out a bit more. That said, I think there could certainly be more activity through twitter, tumblr, facebook and perhaps other platforms. The more we can spread the word and give further opportunities for communication and participation and community, the better, at least in my opinion!
  • i’m just addressing all three of you for this, since it’s more or less about the same topic, hope that’s alright! i’m personally not at all opposed to something like a moderated, official discord server of sorts. i only know basic HTML, so i can’t say how implementing a chat box on-site would work, but i think discord would be easier to set up and maintain in the long run. i certainly wouldn’t mind helping out with setting up, maintaining and modding/keeping an eye on such a server, and i know i’m not the only person on staff who would be willing to pitch in some more time and energy to set something like this up and keep it running. i do think it could help and bring together/connect people more easily; however, it’s up to admins to decide whether or not this is something they wish to implement in the end, so i’d rather not go into details and make it sound like an “empty promise” that we will be doing this, so to say. the last thing i would want is for a single person (me) to get y’all hopes up, just to have to disappoint you guys in the end.

as for an unmoderated AS discord, i can only throw in my own two cents for now and say that i’m not a big fan of that option at all. while i can see where you’re coming from and it works well in some cases, from my own personal experience with unmoderated/unofficial servers, they can get really ugly, really fast. i’m talking things such as bullying of members that are not in the server, fights among discord users over disagreements with no “neutral party” there to step in, cliques forming in the moderator position to “abuse” the server power they have and use it against members they don’t like, etc. it’s just not something i want to see happening for a site/community i adore and, while it doesn’t necessarily need to happen, there is a bigger possibility for this occuring in an unofficial server than in an official server. so, if a discord server ever becomes a possibility in the future, i’d be in favour of a moderated one.

@noctenne specifically: as for more activity on social media such as twitter, tumblr and co, could you elaborate? i’m curious as to whether you meant that we should also have chats and such on those sites, or if that goes more hand in hand with advertising, or keeping them active, or something along those lines? i’d really love to hear more about this, if you’re up for it! the social media platforms are something i’m particularly passionate/interested in due to my own personal job-related ambitions, so any input for those is always super appreciated.
noctenne wrote:
      • One other point I wanted to make was also addressed recently within the survey but while others have addressed it, I certainly feel a lack of community within the houses. Both within the houses themselves and outside of them seem to cause the issue of being constrained and not being able to spread out further. While I am unsure of whether it'd be better to get rid of the house system altogether, the point system involved, or simply rework both or one of them, I can't say. However, I do think AS is in need of some change in some form regarding the houses.!
  • this is definitely something that we’re also hoping to get a lot of insight into from the survey, as you mentioned. the survey will still be running for a while to give more people time to participate (since the holiday season is keeping people busy right now), but we have already started working on compiling and discussing the feedback we’ve gotten about houses and the community in general.

once again, it’s not something i feel entirely comfortable going too in-depth with (“empty promises”), but thanks to the valuable feedback we’ve already gotten, there have been discussions among staff already (such as what to do with the current house system, what possible new things could be implemented as an incentive for user participation, what to do about events, etc), i want to assure you - and everyone else - of that. we do want to make things better and are actively working on that, so even though there is nothing set in stone and we can’t share any particular measures just yet, i do want to let you guys know that we appreciate any and all insight we can get and take everything that’s being said seriously. the more feedback we get, the better we understand all of you guys and your feelings, and the easier it will be in the end to find ways to fix things to make the majority of the userbase happy.
python regius wrote:
  • Staff activity is another thing I'd like to bring up in relation to the issue. Some of AS staff simply aren't that active (esp high up); infrequent posting on the forums, infrequent or not roleplaying, frequent delays on event results, and taking many days to weeks to answer messages at all levels of moderation (although some are super active). To me this comes off as a lack of prioritization for the site (and when compared to the rest of life it may be very unimportant) but this often conveys to members the site is not worth the effort or is not worth the social effort/the site is just a useful tool for roleplays and that's it.
    This may be an issue only I have, and it's definitely not meant to call anyone out, just some of the reasons I have come to be rather discouraged in bringing new people to AS and have joined other sites on the side.
noctenne wrote:
      • I don't have much to add onto what python said regarding AS staff activity as they made points that I entirely agree with. However, I would like to note that AS was my first love of an roleplaying site and I have more fond memories on here than anywhere else on the internet, but with time comes a need for change and I'm glad to see that the site is finally in the position to accept that now!
  • i’d like to say that this, too, is something that has been noticed and will be discussed further among staff in the future. that being said, i don’t think it’s really my place to say much about it, especially at this point in time, so i just wanted to briefly address this to mention that we are aware of the issue and looking into ways to fix it, as it affects both site and staff. thank you for the input, it’s appreciated and will certainly also be kept in mind moving forward!
xxxxxxxxx.xxxxxImagexx
─────────────────────
I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN A LITTLE BETTER
─────────────────────
Cyril | 22 | They/Them | INFP-T / ISFP-T
PM me if you need anything, I'm here to help!
My Golden Heart | Kami-sama | Master Daddy
My RP Search | Thread Index | Put More Links

─────────────────────
14.05.10 - 03.01.20 // Sleep easy now, Dreamy
─────────────────────
GOOD THINGS NEVER LAST FOREVER
─────────────────────
xxImage
Meraki
Black Belt

Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:27 pm

• Ah man, so from things I've seen, I figured I could come on here and correct some confusion for the staff about the feedback being given?

- Chat box. I have tampered with the very same board format of AS on a different site and been able to easily implement a site wide chatbox. It's a simple extension you can find and edit!

- Advertising. Nobody is asking y'all to pay money to advertise. There are thousands of ways of free advertisement that I brought up before on staff. At the time simply no one was interested in working on it. There are FREE advertising sites for roleplay, discord also has servers for advertising, and all other forms of social media are also free for advertising use. Nothing has to cost money, I feel like that has been misunderstood and overcomplicated!

And that in mind, I'll skiddadle! I know I haven't been active at all but it's mostly for the reasons many aren't as the community is near non-existent. It is quite sad to see. I do hope improvement can be made. Have a good day.
python regius
Blue Belt

Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:53 pm

sylver wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:57 pm
re: advertisement
  • first of all, I'd like to thank you for taking the time to respond, and then I would like to clear up some confusion.
    I am definitely not asking for any money to be put towards advertisement given how small AS is. I barely know anything about advertising and marketing for a business, but I do know I have seen many free ways of advertising roleplaying sites just by browsing other sites and roleplay related sites. unfortunately, these other options require time. however, volunteer time is what is taken on in taking a staff role, so that is something that I would expect to see staff taking the time to do, whether that means distributing the tasks between current staff or looking for someone new to fulfill a role for advertisement. I, for one, would jump at the chance to help AS grow, and I doubt I'm the only one, so opening it for a new staff position doesn't seem unreasonable

Since most of the response was directed at paid advertisement, I'll just share some of the specific places I know of to advertise roleplaying sites for free. Voting sites seem to be very popular, such as top role-playing sites, role-play lovers, and rpg fix There may be others as well. These sites allow you to add your role-playing site and say a bit about it, but they do require that your userbase make an account and vote monthly to keep the roleplaying site in the active sites. I have heard that it doesn't really matter if the userbase is small and the site doesn't get a ton of votes every month and that people do look through past the first couple of pages. The other sites I'm a part of offer some sort of 'reward' for voting, such as a medal/badge or colored username. I'm sure AS has enough of a small dedicated user base to regularly get a small number of votes to keep AS listed and findable but some small incentive might help.

Additionally, I have to disagree; i think advertising using other sites is definitely a worthwhile possibility. Other role-playing sites have a lot more members than AS, and I think AS holds great appeal to writers who may already be on other sites considering it is a bit of a haven for more literate writers without disallowing beginning writers. From experience, writers of AS standard are plenty on others sites, its just difficult to find each other. It is also pretty common for someone to use multiple role-playing sites, so on large sites I'm not sure the advertisement subforums receive as little attention as one might expect. Even if they don't receive much attention, an attempt at something is better than nothing. Again, unfortunately, this is something that just takes time in joining other sites and advertising on them, and some sites require affiliation. But I do not see it as a workload that is so high it is unreasonable to expect staff to pull together to tackle.
    Related to this, some sites have site buttons they display if your site displays theirs, possibly not the best route if AS doesn't want additional coding demands but still an option.

Lastly, I think noctenne is right in pointing out more could be done with social media platforms and hopefully others that use social media more than me has more suggestions. personally, it feels like social media accounts for AS are directed as communicating only with the users of AS, so there is potential to expand to try and interact with the general public on that platform to draw interest.
sylver
Attendant

Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:01 pm

Meraki wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:27 pm
    • Ah man, so from things I've seen, I figured I could come on here and correct some confusion for the staff about the feedback being given?

- Chat box. I have tampered with the very same board format of AS on a different site and been able to easily implement a site wide chatbox. It's a simple extension you can find and edit!

- Advertising. Nobody is asking y'all to pay money to advertise. There are thousands of ways of free advertisement that I brought up before on staff. At the time simply no one was interested in working on it. There are FREE advertising sites for roleplay, discord also has servers for advertising, and all other forms of social media are also free for advertising use. Nothing has to cost money, I feel like that has been misunderstood and overcomplicated!

And that in mind, I'll skiddadle! I know I haven't been active at all but it's mostly for the reasons many aren't as the community is near non-existent. It is quite sad to see. I do hope improvement can be made. Have a good day.
  • chat box: like i mentioned previously, i know next to nothing about how these things work, that’s why i did not comment further on it. it’s good to hear that it’s apparently a relatively easy task, but in the end, the implementation of an on-site chat is something to be discussed between admin and overseer and not my division in the least. however, the chat box would still require moderation by staff just like a discord server, so i (personally) don’t see a big difference between the two options, apart from “location”. we’ll definitely keep your input in mind though, thank you!

advertisement: i did briefly touch on the subject of free advertising in my own, first reply. since you seem to know a lot about resources for this type, i’d be thankful if you could possibly share them with us so we can look into them more sometime! i wasn't on staff when you were, and finding things in the chat logs is a bit difficult at times, so it would be super appreciated if you could give a few pointers as to what sites, servers and other things you know of. advertising there would still need staff discussion, of course, as well as a person or two to implement and keep it up, but we’re interested in exploring any and all possibilities to change things for the better. my intention was not to overcomplicate things, it simply was to share my thoughts on how more “professional marketing” would be done. i think all of us would prefer a simpler solution to our advertisement issue and i want to assure you that we do greatly appreciate your input. so again, thank you!

one last thing i do kind of want to mention, because it was somewhat referenced to a certain extend - the past is in the past. while none of us will deny that there definitely have been shortcomings in the past and some things probably weren’t handled perfectly, i’d like to think that everyone has learned from said failings. we can’t change things that were or weren’t done in the past unfortunately, and unnecessarily dwelling on those things won’t do anyone - staff or members - good in the long run. much rather, we’d like to look towards the future and focus our time and energy on the positive changes and improvements we can make now.

we’re ready for change, we’re ready to listen and we want to work together with everyone to hopefully turn things around and reliven our community and turn it into a place where new and old members alike feel welcome and can connect with each other! that’s why we’re looking for any and all feedback we can get - to see things from a new and different perspective, to get an idea of what people want and need, and to give everyone the opportunity to share their thoughts, feelings, suggestions and concerns with us so we can take it all into consideration.
python regius wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:53 pm
  • first of all, I'd like to thank you for taking the time to respond, and then I would like to clear up some confusion.
    I am definitely not asking for any money to be put towards advertisement given how small AS is. I barely know anything about advertising and marketing for a business, but I do know I have seen many free ways of advertising roleplaying sites just by browsing other sites and roleplay related sites. unfortunately, these other options require time. however, volunteer time is what is taken on in taking a staff role, so that is something that I would expect to see staff taking the time to do, whether that means distributing the tasks between current staff or looking for someone new to fulfill a role for advertisement. I, for one, would jump at the chance to help AS grow, and I doubt I'm the only one, so opening it for a new staff position doesn't seem unreasonable

Since most of the response was directed at paid advertisement, I'll just share some of the specific places I know of to advertise roleplaying sites for free. Voting sites seem to be very popular, such as top role-playing sites, role-play lovers, and rpg fix There may be others as well. These sites allow you to add your role-playing site and say a bit about it, but they do require that your userbase make an account and vote monthly to keep the roleplaying site in the active sites. I have heard that it doesn't really matter if the userbase is small and the site doesn't get a ton of votes every month and that people do look through past the first couple of pages. The other sites I'm a part of offer some sort of 'reward' for voting, such as a medal/badge or colored username. I'm sure AS has enough of a small dedicated user base to regularly get a small number of votes to keep AS listed and findable but some small incentive might help.

Additionally, I have to disagree; i think advertising using other sites is definitely a worthwhile possibility. Other role-playing sites have a lot more members than AS, and I think AS holds great appeal to writers who may already be on other sites considering it is a bit of a haven for more literate writers without disallowing beginning writers. From experience, writers of AS standard are plenty on others sites, its just difficult to find each other. It is also pretty common for someone to use multiple role-playing sites, so on large sites I'm not sure the advertisement subforums receive as little attention as one might expect. Even if they don't receive much attention, an attempt at something is better than nothing. Again, unfortunately, this is something that just takes time in joining other sites and advertising on them, and some sites require affiliation. But I do not see it as a workload that is so high it is unreasonable to expect staff to pull together to tackle.
    Related to this, some sites have site buttons they display if your site displays theirs, possibly not the best route if AS doesn't want additional coding demands but still an option.

Lastly, I think noctenne is right in pointing out more could be done with social media platforms and hopefully others that use social media more than me has more suggestions. personally, it feels like social media accounts for AS are directed as communicating only with the users of AS, so there is potential to expand to try and interact with the general public on that platform to draw interest.
  • firstly, thank you for the pointers, they're definitely useful and we'll be taking a look into them; we've already started discussing a bit, but with the holidays, progress might be a bit slow until everyone is back to their usual routine. one thing i would like to point out is that i feel like a part of what i said was misunderstood, or taken slightly out of context. the part with volunteer work was solely meant in regards to paid advertisement not being paid for with our "wages", or something along those lines. i did not mean to indicate that the current team isn't willing to put time and effort into the site to advertise. if i didn't care about the site, or wasn't willing to put time into it, i wouldn't have signed up to be on staff this year, nor would i be discussing these things with you all to try and see what we can do better, which options we have and which directions we can take. i'm sure the same sentiment applies to my fellow staff members as well. quite a bit of the work we do is "behind the scenes", so to say, and all i can really say is that i've seen everyone pour a lot of energy, love and dedication into AS so far. we do care, and we hope that giving you all a way to contribute and help us on this journey will make it feel a bit more like we do as well.

i apologize for the short response, i'd try to give a bit more input, but i don't want to rush ahead without allowing other staff to chime in more as well, and my sleeping meds are starting to kick in. will see about possibly popping back in here for more discussing tomorrow morning, but in the meantime, i didn't wanna leave anyone hanging without a response. again, thank you for the feedback, it's definitely been eye-opening and has given us some nice first options to consider!
xxxxxxxxx.xxxxxImagexx
─────────────────────
I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN A LITTLE BETTER
─────────────────────
Cyril | 22 | They/Them | INFP-T / ISFP-T
PM me if you need anything, I'm here to help!
My Golden Heart | Kami-sama | Master Daddy
My RP Search | Thread Index | Put More Links

─────────────────────
14.05.10 - 03.01.20 // Sleep easy now, Dreamy
─────────────────────
GOOD THINGS NEVER LAST FOREVER
─────────────────────
xxImage