NaNoWriMo is Upon Us! (Poll Added!) (Updated Nov 5)

It is the responsibility of every user to keep up with any rule changes and to monitor this area on their own.

I am open to somewhat of an adjustment for this year and on, so tell me:

I think the total should be more like 300, with 4 pts every 1k and more bonuses
7%
I think the total should be more like 500, with a similar system to above
34%
I think it should be even more than that; Nano is HARD
24%
I think it should stay the same; it’s really fine as is
3%
I think it should focus on increased per 1k words
17%
I think it should focus on increased bonuses for smaller milestones
14%

Total votes: 29
thunderofthebun
Administrator
House: Halcyon

NaNoWriMo is Upon Us! (Poll Added!) (Updated Nov 5)

Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:21 pm

Image Happy November everyone! We hope all of our wonderful writers here on AS are enjoying the change of seasons and have a fun and safe Halloween. As we settle into the new month, it is also time for our next event. NaNoWriMo is short for National Novel Writing Month, and it is a wonderful time of year when writers around the world push themselves to reach a goal of 50,000 words in a single month. We know that is a big undertaking, especially as many people have midterms or even prepare for finals, so we wanted to reward ALL efforts to participate in this awesome event!

On the official website you are more than welcome to submit what you will be writing about (this is voluntary and not required by AS). Here on the forum, you will make a thread within the designated area. You may BEGIN your story on November 1 and not before! You then have the entire month to work on your story and get as far as you can towards the 50,000 word goal (that means an average of 1,667 words per day). Since we are aware many users may be discouraged from participating in NaNoWriMo due to not having one solid plot line they wish to write for, prompts/drabbles/poems/etc will be allowed. The goal of this event is for our members to reach 50,000 words. The idea is to push yourself, flex your creative side, and have fun! No matter whether you reach 50k or not, we hope everyone will participate and also to create a team spirit atmosphere - there are no winners or losers.
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────

Timeline:
October 30: xxxxxYou may create your thread, set up any BBCode, and brainstorm (you may dedicate a few posts to this if desired).
November 1: xxxxYou may begin writing!
November 30: xxxStaff will lock all threads to count words and note points earned.
December 1: xxxxThreads will be unlocked in case you want to save, continue, or delete your threads.

6 points per thousand words, for a base total of 300 if you reach the goal.
If you complete 10,000-19,999 words, you get an added bonus of 10 points, for 20,000-29,999 an additional 20, for 30,000-39,999 another 30, for 40,000-49,999 an extra 40 points. If you complete 50,000+ words, you get an added bonus of 50 points - and yes, these are all separate bonuses that add up, meaning you could earn a total of 450 points for your house.

If you want your word-count to count towards house points, don't forget to add your house in your thread title!

Please remember that if content is not suitable for the general roleplay area, then it is not suitable for the event area. Symbols and trigger warnings still apply. Also, please do not use your event thread to chat or discuss with others - we suggest encouraging Housemates via your Common Room threads, and discussing the event as a whole in our community’s Great Hall!

NOTE:

- If you hosted your writing off-site (such as a google doc), you still need a thread here as a placeholder and to send a link to Thunder if you want to earn points for your house.

Locking and counting will commence at midnight EST. That means at 11:59 PM EST on November 30, you need to be wrapped up and ready for us to lock and count!
ATTENTION:

Please go take the survey about the Afflatus so that we can better design it for 2019 - even if you don't typically read it! Tell us what would get you to start.

Also make sure you are ALWAYS up to date on announcements!

We also have STAFF OPENINGS!
thunderofthebun
Administrator

Re: NaNoWriMo is Upon Us!

Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:44 pm

Update: Sorry it slipped my mind! I have now created the sub-board for this event, found here: viewforum.php?f=89
ATTENTION:

Please go take the survey about the Afflatus so that we can better design it for 2019 - even if you don't typically read it! Tell us what would get you to start.

ichor.
Archivist
House: Halcyon Keeper

Re: NaNoWriMo is Upon Us! (Poll Added!)

Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:35 pm

We've added a poll! Please check it out and share your thoughts! Thank you!
thunderofthebun
Administrator

Re: NaNoWriMo is Upon Us! (Poll Added!)

Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:26 pm

WE ARE OFFICIALLY INCREASING THE POINTS FOR NANOWRIMO.

We know this is a strenuous event for everyone and want to strive for adequate points one can earn for their hard work. I am aupdating the above announcement to reflect the new point system. In a nutshell, you can now earn up to 450 points.

You are welcome to continue to vote, and I will leave the previous point system here for reference.

PREVIOUSLY:
2 points per thousand words, for a base total of 100 if you reach the goal.
If you complete 37,000-49,999 words, you get an added bonus of 25 points
If you complete 50,000+ words, you get an added bonus of 50 points
Total: you could earn up to 150 points
ATTENTION:

thunderofthebun
Administrator

Word Counter

Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:17 am

Here is a great resource if you want to count your words. It is also the word counter we will be using when it's time to tally up points. This counter has been verified to match the total the official NaNoWriMo website will show, as some counters may vary slightly in totals.

https://wordcounter.net/
ATTENTION: