April Poetry Event!

It is the responsibility of every user to keep up with any rule changes and to monitor this area on their own.

Poll

I think this would be fine/fun; it’s short, poetry, and easy to simply not participate if desired
46%
No; I think we should stick with the main events we already have
7%
Members should be allowed 1 entry
13%
Members should be allowed up to 3 entries
19%
Members should be allowed as many as they have time to write; it’s poetry!
15%

Total votes: 54
thunderofthebun
Administrator
House: Halcyon

Re: Positivity Points / General Discussion (Poll Added)

Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:34 pm

I hope those commenting on wanting a dark theme will keep in mind that Meraki did make progress and that not all staff has the knowledge to do this project. Every time we seek a new overseer, we hardly get any applications. It takes a lot of work and long hours to create site themes. A dark theme is something we are wanting to implement, but it isn’t as simple as some commenters seem to imply.

As for the one saying “I don’t know why this must be implemented” regarding this points idea - I am not even sure how to respond to this as the whole point of this discussion was for YOU guys to decide whether you’d want something like this implemented? So I’m not sure where the ‘must’ is coming from.

And I wonder if it helps at all - If we had a thread where replies could be posted? Sometimes it would be nice to say ‘hey yes I totally agree and we’re working on it’ or ‘that is incorrect’ or answer questions or comment on something being a great idea.
Happy March!

Check out the AS Survey and let us know how we can improve.

My current to-do list: discussion and poll for the April Event,
get older, prep said event (if still occurring), prep the April afflatus
conclude the AS survey, 1x1 event, and social media survey,
share 1x1 event results, current points,
and create thread for anon box discussion.
Also: finalize Never's backend access, discuss themes status

Happy Birthday to all of the March blueberries!
nmrn
White Belt
House: Amaranthine

Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:37 pm

I don't intend to repeat what has already been said, but agreeing with the others, there should be motivation out of honesty and out of a want to connect to people and pulling some sort of competition feel to it may hurt that more than how things seem to be now when it comes to any sense of community. I do feel that there are workarounds, and although nothing comes to mind off the top of my head, I fear that 'positivity points' would really be anything except positive, particularly in the longer run. The sense of address and interaction throughout the forum is super sharded except for the few people who are standing up to speak, and I don't think that points would bring people together any more than how the current state of AS brings people together (I would have liked to point to the social media portion of things but I really am not versed in it as I don't tend to use social media and wholeheartedly still do not understand the event itself, so won't talk on it because I don't know if that has otherwise improved the general audience's attention to events).
I won't elaborate on myself as the points have already been explained in prior posts but I do disagree with the idea in general, to summarise what I've pointed, just because I feel it would be a flop without some sort of prize or reward for reaching certain goals, and that in itself would make the entire idea a superficial and shady mess without real heart for the people that are amongst each other, also considering others' points about bias and the like towards point giving.

The closest I can think to positivity points otherwise without making forcing a false sense of intimate community is adding some sort of reward system for posts written- or some such things as as forum contributions, activity as a whole or posts to the RP forums, and all that like- but that is already monitored in some general way by the Belt system so is basically null; it's a bit far gone to consider it but mayhaps making some sort of use out of the Belt system aside from it being an indicator of being a big dick poster might encourage more in terms of activity for those who are mindful of being rewarded for having fun or being helpful. At least, when compared to the equivalent of standing outside a supermarket in a grinning mascot outfit and waving people into the store with a cheerful jig as you scowl inside the mask.

I did see a post in The Great Hall about publicising responses to the Anon Box, though, and I feel that a singular thread dedicated specifically to that level of open discussion rather than spreading such subjects across the board might encourage people to better speak up about any inquiries or issues they have. It would be a lot easier to get out what one has to say about AS' affairs if everybody's thoughts are considered in one space without judgement or bias.
thunderofthebun
Administrator

Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:19 pm

All of that sounds entirely valid, and I agree that something post-based would be tricky and possibly redundant due to the belt system. I'm not sure I understand how to have a system very similar to that but more mindful, but you are welcome to elaborate.

Yes, at this time that's exactly what is likely to happen - a thread purely for discussing and replying to anon box submissions. Currently what is in question is how to handle ones that are bordering or entirely inappropriate, such as swearing, bashing, etc. The current system people seem in favor of is to simply exclude the ones that are too destructive to warrant sharing to all members, and maybe exclude a swear word here and there as needed otherwise. I definitely expect some emotion as people who are content are less likely to type up submissions, but complete bashing or name-calling isn't going to help anything. At this time, I only see one that truly goes over the line.

At this time, a strong majority of votes say that they points idea should be scratched off the list - that's totally fine. I do see that a few people ARE very open to opportunities for points outside of the events/afflatus, and also that several feel there is too much emphasis on points in general. There is clearly a lot of ground to cover and a lot of varied opinions regarding what people would like to see.

Tomorrow staff will be opening a discussion regarding the next event currently listed on the event schedule - since the schedule changed from last year, hopefully everyone can share whether they like this addition, don't like it, or prefer some changes.
Happy March!

nmrn
White Belt
House: Amaranthine

Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:19 pm

Nothing comes to mind off the top of my head that would make sense and be doable for a site like AS, and I have no experience with those sorts of systems except for automated systems like the Belt system here and others such as the Badge system on RP Repository and the like. I couldn't personally offer any clues because I have none, but I think that a discussion thread would warrant much more helpful stuff than what I have to say.

As to the Anon box, I agree with excluding anything that does step over the line or otherwise altering the wording to be reader-friendly. There's no good in including toxicity and if anything it would warrant the sort of reaction or otherwise emotion that those people should want; there's a lesson to learn in understanding that you won't get a single thing from anyone by roaring and cursing just to get your way, especially when they likely have no clue about the sort of pressure you guys are under already with the site and its users.
Cᴏᴍᴍᴀɴᴅᴇʀ Sʜᴇᴘᴀʀᴅ
Admin Aide
Location: In jail, probably, but that's okay because I work there.
House: Vipera

Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:49 pm

• My thoughts on the matter are rather simple. If people want to throw out accusations and hurtful words, they deserved to be ignored completely. Throwing a temper tantrum is no way to get attention or answers from us. We are people, just like anyone else. We make mistakes, we feel pain, and we get overwhelmed. I honestly feel that if we start modifying anon submissions to make them user-friendly, people will accuse us of censoring their freedom of speech and add one more thing for them to be upset about. Not to mention the fact that other users may feel that we are altering responses constantly, even on the good ones. I'm all for ignoring the hostile responses completely. You want us to respond to you? Be civil. End of story.
Imagei Image x iImage ╭━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━╮
25, female, bisexual. An avid, literate roleplayer. I am into
video games, tattoos, writing fan-fics, and roleplaying. I'm an
admin aide here on AS so if you have any questions, feel free to
send a pm! I don't bite I promise!
sᴇᴀsʜᴇʟʟ - sᴏᴜʟ - ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴ - ʜᴏᴇ ᴅᴀᴅᴅʏ - ᴋɪᴛᴛᴇɴ
SearchInstagram
xXCShepardXx on XB1 & PS4
Commander Shepard#3893 on Discord
Muse - 4/10 ☢ Time - 5/10

╰━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━╯
xxImage
xxxx
Gamora.
Black Belt

Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:11 pm

• ^^ what Shep said. People need to grow up and act like civil adults and not immature children. No point in censoring the rude messages, ignore them and pretend they never happened.
      xx
      xx
      xx
      xx
      xx
      xx
      xx
      xx
      ↠ in the darkest times, hope ───────

just a twenty year old cat mom who spends too
      much time crying over fandoms. honestly im just
      marvel and avatar trash. my pms are always open

───── is something you give yourself ↞
thunderofthebun
Administrator

April Poetry Event

Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:30 pm

Hey everyone, since some of the poll feedback was that there may be an over-abundance of events and that members want to be included when there is a possibility of a new event, I figure you guys may want the opportunity to vote on the next slated event in our 2019 schedule. We did not have this event last year and it’s more of a mini event that would only last for 10 days during April with a theme of poetry (there is a similar one scheduled for October for art).

Here is what rakuen had written thus far:
Hello Scribes! April brings us the debut of the first of our two annual in-house competitions.
From the 5th to the 15th you may submit a poetic piece of your own writing to your house forum. There is no specific theme so you can let your imagination run wild. Any style of poetry is accepted and each piece may count as an entry.
The reward? Instead of your house in your profile field you will be given the title of Head House Member and your piece displayed along with the other winners in the AS Afflatus! You will retain your Head title until the next in-house competition!
Judging will commence on the 15th and run until the 25th. The winning pieces from each house will then be judged via an Afflatus poll and the victorious poem will win the house 20 points.
We have updated the poll in this thread and would love to get a final tally by March 25th!

Again, I have made it possible to select more than one answer when voting - please indicate whether you’d like to see this event happen AND let us know whether you feel members should be able to submit only 1 piece, up to 3, or unlimited. While I know you guys have been making it clear that you want to be included and communicated with more, I want to keep a balance with not overloading so I’ve made this poll a bit simpler than the previous so we can make a decision and get things going!
Happy March!

Kael
Silver Belt

Re: April Poetry Event!

Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:17 pm

Man the renaming of this thread really confused me big time cx Could we please keep it at a general title?

That is my only remark cx I'm not going to comment on the event because I think that is mainly up to staff to discus ^^'
22/03/2019
xxxxxxxxxxxxxImage
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"I am not interested in being a hero"
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxBut yet you are the biggest of all
➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳
OverwatchSpeedyA.T.O.M.
➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳
The Flash: S3E11
Arrow: S5E14
Legends of Tomorrow: S2E8
thunderofthebun
Administrator

Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:09 pm

Yeah I didn’t want to keep making threads since t was mainly for the poll but I definitely understand! I assure you it won’t be a regular occurrence!
Happy March!

NeverNever
Overseer
House: Amaranthine Keeper

Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:23 pm

Kinda excited for this event, it's different to what we already have and I'm looking forwards to it. It would be nice to hear what others think of it too, just so when it comes to posting the event there is not a general dislike for it.
And, as lots of people have been mentioning that they would like to have some input on things and would like to see what staff are planning, I don't think this is something only staff can discuss. We've asked for opinions, and opened this thread as a discussion thread for that purpose, it would be fantastic to hear them if anyone is willing to chime in.