Mini Announcements

It is the responsibility of every user to keep up with any rule changes and to monitor this area on their own.

Moderator: Admin Aide

anhedonia
Attendant
House: Halcyon

Social Media Challenge - Updated Submission Process

Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:45 pm

x
      x
      Hey there Scribers!

As you may have noticed, we've recently had a few issues with delays regarding our Social Media Challenge. Since we always strive to improve, we've made changes accordingly to ensure that the event runs smoothly for everyone involved from now on.

Starting this month, submissions will be handled differently. Rather than sending your submissions to a staff member, you'll be submitting it using a new, on-site form. This new method will post your submission to a hidden subforum that's solely meant for this event.

The reasoning for this is not only to make the process easier for all of you, but also to allow a small selection of staff members to access the submissions. This way we no longer rely on the presence of any single team member to provide the submissions to allow the rest of our staff to vote, which will really help us stick to our schedule from now on.

Please note that the staff members who have access to the subforum will not be taking part in voting on the submissions! Only the staff that has no access to this subforum will be allowed to give their votes so anonymity is still ensured.

We are looking forward to see your future submissions! If you have any questions, concerns, or even feedback on the new submission process after giving it a try this month, don’t hesitate to post your thoughts in the discussion thread for the Social Media Challenge, or PM a staff member privately if it's something you don't feel comfortable posting publicly.

Happy writing and good luck!
anhedonia
Attendant

In-house Art Competition

Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:31 am

x
    • x
      x
      Hello Scribers!

To celebrate the widely popular event Inktober, AS brings to you the second of our two in-house competitions.

From the 10th to the 20th you may submit a piece of art of any of the house mascots, or the AS white stag. You can submit one of each for a total of 5 entries to the competition. At the end of the event you and your house members will vote on the winning piece together.

The reward? Instead of your house in your profile field, you will be given the title of Head House Member, 20 points to your house for each submission, and your piece will be displayed along with the other winners in the AS Afflatus for all to see! You will retain your Head House Member title until the next in-house competition.

You may enter up to five times - one art piece for each house mascot and one art piece for the stag - and the judging will commence on the 20th and run until the 30th. The designated thread for the submissions will be made available to all of you once the event officially starts.

We look forward to seeing all of your lovely, creative submissions!

Good luck and happy scribing (or, in this case, happy art-ing)!!
Cas
Global Moderator
Location: University, hoping that my flatmates don't destroy the house whilst I'm in a lecture
House: Sagacitas

Extending the Art Competition

Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:10 pm

x
    • x
      x

Hello Scribers!

In response both to discussions around the site and between the staff, we've decided to extend the period in which you can submit art for the competition to the 26th of October! Judging will then commence on the 26th, ending on the 30th of October, as planned.

We hope this extension gives everybody who wants to take part in the competition the chance to, and if you were only thinking about joining in before, perhaps this extension will give you the time to give it a go! We welcome all submissions. Even if art is not your forte, we encourage everyone to participate!

Link to Art Competition Thread: Here

Good luck and happy art-ing!
Deer
Admin Aide

Introducing Dark Theme!

Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:24 pm

x
x
x

x
    • x
      xHello Scribers!

I am happy to announce the latest new theme of AS: Pepper and Salt. The last few weeks I have been carefully putting together this darker theme to deliver what we have promised you for a long time. Staff hopes you all enjoy this new addition, so be sure to check it out!

You can change your layout by going to User Control Panel > Board Preferences > Edit global settings

While we are on the topic of themes: you may have noticed my thread about layout research. Part of the reason for this research was to gauge what themes were still used by active users. Due to Prosilver Special Edition being used by only 7 users board wide, and the new addition of Pepper and Salt, staff has decided to retire Prosilver SE.

If you have any questions (or feedback) about the themes, don't hesitate to message me.
Deer
Admin Aide

BBCode Update

Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:43 pm

Greetings, Scribes!

Today I found some 'hidden' bbcodes on AS which most users may not be aware of. Because these bbcodes end up being able to be very useful, I added them to the post layout for all of you to see and use! Below is a brief walkthrough of the 'new' buttons and how to use them. Please note that the codes are to be used without the spaces.

clearfloat:
        Usage: [ clearfloat] [ /clearfloat]
        Using the clearfloat tags, without any text specified between the tags, will clear any previous alignments. This allows you to start out all fresh, below the ending of your previous left/right alignment.

imgleft / imgright:
        Usage: [ imgleft] {img url} [ /imgleft]
        [ imgright] {img url} [ /imgright]
        This allows to be an image to be left or right aligned.

indent:
        Usage: [ indent] number [ /indent]
        This allows you to mimic a tab. The number given is the indent in pixels. The recommended number for this is 20, as that equals close to the size of a tab.

Secondly I want to point out a different change I have made. Previously, the limits of the leftbox and rightbox were set to a dimension of 500 x 500 px. Since we got some requests of a bigger limit, these boundaries have now increased to 725 x 725 px . Any previous coding is unaffected by this change, unless you specified a number above 500 in your current usage of these boxes. Previously this has been capped to 500 px in the display, but will now be a maximum of 725 px.

Last but not least, I want to encourage you all that if you have any suggestions for bbcode, feel free to share them with me or other staff! You can PM them directly to me or post them on the site updates and upkeep thread.

I hope you will all enjoy these new bbcodes. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
Deer
Admin Aide

Roleplay Search Update

Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:27 pm

Greetings, Scribes!

There has been a bit of confusion lately where to exactly advertise small (private) group roleplays. Therefore, staff has decided to group the advertisements for all group roleplays together in one thread within the Listings forum. The thread can be found here. As a result of this change, the 'Group Yellow Pages' in the Human (Realistic), Human (Fantasy / Sci-fi) and Animal forums have been locked as of today.

What can you advertise / search for in this thread?
        The new search thread is designed to host advertisements and/or searches for any roleplay with more than two persons. This includes private group roleplays, or 1x1x1s. Make sure to read the rules before you post your advertisement.

The current 1x1 Search thread has been updated to reflect that this thread is meant solely for 1x1 roleplay searches. Previously we allowed searches for small group roleplays on this thread, but from now this thread is dedicated to 1x1 searches. Posts that are looking for group roleplays will be moved and/or deleted depending on the situation.

We hope this change will make it easier for you all to advertise your group roleplays, and gives clarity as to what is to be posted where. If you have any questions you can always message a staff member for clarification.

Cas
Global Moderator
Location: University, hoping that my flatmates don't destroy the house whilst I'm in a lecture
House: Sagacitas

Starting a Discussion

Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:48 am

x
    • x
      x
      Hello Scribers!

This is just a quick announcement to direct your attention to this thread:
      How to Create a Better Community on AS: Discussion

We'd really love to hear your thoughts on how to make AS a more cohesive community - there are a couple of polls on that post as well that we'd love to get your feedback from to make sure AS is the best place for you in the coming year.

Thank you, and Happy Holidays!
Deer
Admin Aide

Introducing: AS Chat!

Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:06 pm

Happy new year everyone! We hope you are all enjoying 2020 so far! After the discussion on how to create a better community on AS, it was mentioned several times that there was desire for a Discord server. We have been working on that for several weeks now, with me ironing out the technical side of things. Since it is now ready, we are pleased to announce that for a month trial, there will be an official advanced-scribes discord server. If the trial goes well, it will become a permanent feature!

In order to join, you need to follow the instructions on the sign-up link, which you can find by clicking here!

Once you are in the server, it is important that you read the rules and chat policies. You will be verified by a staff member shortly after joining, and then you can participate in the chat! If you break the rules, you will be muted or removed from the server - either for a time, or permanently.

If you have any concerns, questions, or suggestions whilst on the server - please PM a member of staff! The attendants are there to help you with anything, but you can message any member of staff if you wish to. We are here to help!
Deer
Admin Aide

Introducing: News notifications

Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:51 pm

Greetings, Scribes!

In order to improve communication from staff to users and increase awareness for major announcements, staff has enabled announcement notifications. The goal of this is to ensure that you are all aware of anything important going on within AS. These notifications can link to an announcement (like this one) or simply display some information. This way you will always be up to date!

Please note that these announcements will be sent out by staff manually, and therefore not every announcement or update may have a custom notification. It will still be your responsibility to keep up to date with announcements.

If you have any questions, feel free to message any staff member.