Page 1 of 1
Rules (Updated Feb 5 2019)
Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:02 am
xxxxxWelcome to Advanced Scribes! For the most part, this thread will be your one-stop shop in getting to know what this forum is for, who runs it, and how to get involved. The rules are few but very important and can be found below.
xxxxxStrider created this site back in December of 2012, and since then it has grown so much more than we could have dreamed! Here at AS we provide a great community to chat and roleplay, where story content is less restricted. While behavior between users should always be respectful and civil, mature themes and language are permitted in roleplays and stories. Make sure to occasionally check the Announcements area and our newsletter the AS Afflatus for any news, check out the Event Schedule, and get to know the staff via the Team Page. Should you have any other questions that haven't been addressed here, please check out the AS FAQ!
Table of Contents:
General Data Protection Regulation
2019 Event Schedule
Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:04 am
Click here to begin your quiz!
- Here on Advanced Scribes, we welcome you to join us and take part of the house system. Of course, it is not mandatory but it livens up the site in many ways and can help you expand and make new friends! While taking the sorting quiz, please remember to use the current email associated with your AS account - this is used for identification purposes and you will not receive an email from AS unless we cannot find the submitted email in the forum system. It is extremely vital that you do so, otherwise, we will not be able to find you on site and deliver you with your house result. If you do not recall what email is associated with your account, you can click your username in the upper right-hand corner and on the drop-down select User Control Panel. From here, please select the ‘Profile’ tab and then ‘Edit account settings’. If you have trouble, please PM staff to assist you.
Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:06 am
- This forum is intended for members aged 18+ and content may reflect that. While there are few restrictions on roleplay content, members themselves are expected to behave maturely and interact with civility. Three big issues we do not tolerate are: spamming, harassment, and bullying. If you witness any of this, whether on the forums or in PMs, report it. Even if you aren't sure, let the staff take a look.
Spamming: Examples of spamming include: sending out generic messages or to multiple people, sending PMs to random people seeking roleplays or getting people to join your roleplay/website/group, and posts just to bump threads.
Harassment: If someone declines your interest in roleplaying, do not keep contacting them. Do not call them names, do not keep asking. If you feel someone treated you badly, do not fill their inbox or post in their roleplays. Report it.
Bullying: Pressuring someone into roleplaying, into certain plots or characters, or into letting you have your way are all examples of bullying. If you dislike someone or feel they wronged you, filling their inbox is very inappropriate. Allowing all your friends to 'stand up for you' and fill their inbox on your behalf is also inappropriate.
How to get an RP
- AS is intended for more advanced writers. To encourage this, all roleplay posts should be on average 300-400+ words per character, though after a few characters this can become more flexible. Each member should strive to achieve 300 words or more per character. Moderators will allow some breathing room of 200-300 words per character in cases of severe writer's block. However, if posts are hovering around 200 or below more than a few times per page, a staff member will let you know first with a verbal warning. You will be allowed some time to improve, but if things do not, staff may increase the consequences to locking your thread and/or a board warning. Staff are here to help, so if you have any questions on literacy or how to improve your writing, just ask or look at our Resources section. Roleplay threads that are considered literate will be given a checkmark ✔ by staff, but they will still check in occasionally to make sure that the standard is maintained. Any member caught adding a check mark themselves will immediately have their thread locked and risk further disciplinary action.
- There are a few ways to find a new roleplay partner or group. The Listings board contains two of these options. The 1x1 Search Thread allows you to post a current ad to display your most up to date interest. The Listings area itself is where members may post more of a long-term ad as an individual thread with a max of 3 posts (to avoid incessant or unfair bumping). In that thread, you can explain more thoroughly your style, expectations, the plots you seek, characters you want to use, what you want in a partner, and more. Another route is to browse the ads, listings, and writing of other members and if one catches your eye, send them a private message. Keep this personal and infrequent; while it can be very flattering to receive special interest in this way, it is against the rules to spam users with generic messages. Lastly, a third way you can advertise yourself is to utilize your signature.
- Here you may post once every 3 pages. Any sooner will be deleted. If you have already received a verbal warning, you then risk a board warning or further consequences. This thread is a great resource to browse most recently posted ads and to show people that you are currently seeking additional roleplays. There is a separate search thread for explicit topics located in the Explicit board, do not post seeking for explicit role plays in the normal search.
- While many members are legal adults, age does not always indicate a member’s interest or comfort level with various mature themes. For this reason, please utilize symbols to show that your roleplay or story contains certain mature themes or triggers. romance, violence, swearing, other, multiple.
- Give credit or retain link when using the artwork of others. Claiming art as your own is not permitted. This also applies to characters (aside from canons), writing, and copying/pasting elaborate coding that someone worked hard on. Inspiration is common and normal, but failing to put in your own work is not.
- Be mindful of others, and avoid rapidly flashing GIFs or they will be removed.
- Inappropriate content or unnecessarily large images will be removed.
- Smut written between two legal consenting adult characters is permitted anywhere on the site so long as it does not contain any of the following. Roleplays containing things such as Rape, Beastiality, SlavexMaster, Vore, Incest (be it the characters know or not), erotica, and excessive torture are required to be placed in the Explicit Board. Need access to the Explicit board? Here's how.
Sexualizing minors in any way is not allowed on this site, including in the Explicit board. The age of consent is 16 and roleplaying any sexual content between two people below 16 years is not allowed. SlavexMaster cannot be with minors as that is not consensual. Any age gaps from 16 years up must be consensual(meaning even if your character is 18 and the other is 34, if the sexual contact is not consensual, it's not okay). With all of that said, we do not regulate what is done in pms but we highly recommend you don't partake in roleplaying in any of this for legal reasons. We're not here to police your roleplaying but there are serious legal issues with sexualizing minors in roleplay.
Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:07 am
1. Intense Romance
Romance would be any kind of graphic description of sex. This would include describing anything past laying together in a bed near-naked. There must be some kind of layer of clothing on both characters in order to keep the RP from having the heart icon.
2. Intense Violence
Violence would be descriptions of torture, violence or injuries that would make people cringe. Slowly cutting flesh, pins in eyes, graphic descriptions of cuts or burns or injuries. Role plays that might have a decent amount of self-harm or suicide should also add the fire icon.
3. Intense Swearing
Some users are not interested in going onto a thread and having "fuck" or "bitch" be the first words they see. One or two swears are all right, maybe a little more if the character is a sailor mouth, but if you know that swearing is going to be a common theme in the role play then it is necessary to add the bubble icon.
There are other themes and subjects that could be considered mature, such as excessive drug use or characters with severe mental disorders (such as a role play based in an asylum or mental hospital). This is more up to the moderator of the role play as to whether or not their role play will have themes that might need the star. You must also write down exactly what is going to be expected in the rules, or at least somewhere on the page.
5. Multiple Mature Themes
If an RP is going to have heavy duty swearing and romance, or violence and swearing, or any kind of combination then you are going to have to add this icon as well as a description of which suggestive themes are going to be present.
6. Extreme Themes
This symbol is to be used for more extreme themes, namely rape, gory sexual scenes, bestiality, incest, and pedophilia. While we don't want to start curbing everyone's freedom, there is now a distinction between regular mature themes and ones that may be considered particularly taboo, triggering, or just plain uncomfortable. This content is not featured in broad daylight on our website.
There is a hidden forum with rps that hold such themes. If you would like to be a member of this forum, please PM an administrator for access and it will be granted so long as you are 18 years of age (please have your date of birth included in your account information).
Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:08 am
Bump a thread: How to use the bump feature.
- This feature is there to be used. Whether you are sure or just think maybe something breaks the rules, go ahead and report it. This is a way to simply flag a post or private message for review by staff who will make the final decision. This is also useful for flagging posts that have other issues, requesting a thread be locked, marking a spam account, calling out harassment, and more. Please keep in mind that reporting posts purely because they do not meet the literacy requirement of post length does not quality as a valid reason to report. Our roleplay mods are great at their job but do not always note threads in ways that are visible to users.
- Please visit this guide to view how the bumping feature works!
- Sometimes you may find that you have a question about how the site is structured, the staff roles, how to report posts, how to set up your user avatar and profile – you may find that question has already been answered on our FAQ pages. If not, feel free to ask questions there and staff will get back to you as soon as they can. Please visit the FAQ here to see if your question has already been answered!
Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:08 am
Belt Ranks for Regular Members:
White Belt: 0 posts
Yellow Belt: 100 posts
Orange Belt: 250 posts
Green Belt: 400 posts
Blue Belt: 550 posts
Purple Belt: 700 posts
Red Belt: 900 posts
Brown Belt: 1,150 posts
Black Belt: 1,500 posts
Bronze Belt: 3,000 posts
Silver Belt: 5,000 posts
Gold Belt: 10,000 posts
Platinum Belt: 15,000 posts
Obsidian Belt: 20,000 posts
Diamond Belt: ???
Social Media (Updated 13/02/2019)
Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:19 am
Tumblr and Twitter
And last, but certainly not least, I want to proudly introduce Advanced Scribe's new tumblr and Twitter pages! We have high hopes for both and we hope that all of you enjoy the content that we're planning to post on them.
Eventually for the Tumblr, we are hoping to organize face claims, animal pictures, general pictures, prompts, writing tips, and more! The Twitter will have inspiring quotes, tips, and memes, as well as serving as a quick way to get updates out about AS, whether it is a reminder, a a coding issue we want to mention, or an invitation to participate in something! We encourage you to check out the page and leave your own suggestions in its askbox of what you believe would be cool to add to the blog or any questions you have regarding it. We are aiming to basically make these accounts places that you are able to come to if you either need inspiration, certain pictures, or just a good laugh as we will be posting humorous things as well, with the Twitter also providing valuable updates on AS issues and events.
You may find our tumblr here at https://advancedscribes.tumblr.com/ and the Twitter is @advancedscribe - we invite you to follow along! We are also looking to add more music to it to the tumblr, so feel free to send your personal ideas into our askbox as well! We are looking for more relaxing, inspirational music for people to listen to as they search through the blog or if they want to have it in the background as they write.
If you have any further questions about anything in this announcement, feel free to come to either myself or Thunder and we'll happily assist you! Thank you and have a nice day!
General Data Protection Regulation
Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:24 am
We come to you with important news about a legal regulation that is meant to protect you from privacy and data breaches. As of May 25th, 2018, something called GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) has come into force, earlier approved and adopted by the EU Parliament in April of 2016.
Whereas this regulation is meant for countries belonging to the EU for the wider part, given that some of our users come from such member countries, AS is no exception and must follow the protocol and adhere to the rather simple and easy to follow laws that this regulation provides for all.
This regulation applies to ‘personal data’, or, any information relating to an identifiable person who can be directly or indirectly identified in particular by reference to an identifier. In short, this definition provides a wide range of personal identifiers, e.g. IP addresses, e-mail addresses, location data or other online identifies (most of which AS doesn’t usually have access to because we don’t ask for personal names or information that you would give to, let’s say, a bank).
We would like to remind you, that while all members of the staff have access to IP addresses (in order to keep people from walking around issued bans), e-mail addresses (which you use to register and be a part of AS) of the website’s members, another key part of personal data that we have access to is your location data, which we indirectly receive from the IP address of a user. Of course, it might not always be genuine as some people tend to use fake VPN addresses, but it’s a piece of information that we are legally required to mention. However, all other personal data, e.g. links to social media accounts or any other websites that you may be a part of are beyond our jurisdiction – as long as the account isn’t linked directly in your profile and/or signature, we have no legal right to hunt for these accounts.
If you ever see a person asking for personal data, be it a staff member or a normal user of AS, you are to inform the staff immediately and necessary actions will be taken. Whatever personal data that you provide to other people after being asked on your own free will not be seen as breaking the law under the GDPR, so do be careful in sharing information about yourself with others.
For anyone that is interested in learning more about the GDPR and its key changes, feel free to pay a visit to this website - it has the key features and FAQs of this regulation covered in a simple way that is easy to understand for everyone and will keep you aware of your rights, as well as your duties as users of various websites and services.
2019 Contest Schedule
Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:32 am
February: 1x1 Roleplay Competition
March: 1x1 Roleplay Competition
April: 1 week in-house poetry competition 5th-15th
June: 1oo DoS
July: 1oo DoS
August: 1oo DoS
October: 1 week in-house art competition 5th-15th
December: 12 Days of Christmas Character Journal
Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:21 am
Advanced Scribes takes no responsibility in the actions that take place within the board. While we moderate it, the content you choose to submit into it is entirely your choice and the consequences must be governed by you only. The only requirement we ask of you when joining the board is to state you are at or above the age of 18. We pride our site on the freedom we give to you, the members, when expressing yourselves through the written word. We want to provide a safe and supportive place for you to publish your works. However in regards to smut of the more graphic genres we have to limit the visibility for the safety and comfort of both you, the author, and viewing members. The explicit board is also not limited to sexual content and may contain disturbing topics that go past the comfort of the general board.
Note: Taboo subjects like adultery, light BDSM (voyeurism, rigging, ect), erotica through characters (pornographic images are not allowed on AS and are considered spam) and prostitution are allowed in minor detail on general forums. If you feel like a subject is toeing the line of acceptable then please feel free to contact a staff member for clarification.
Content that is found illegal and therefore restricted to the explicit board are:
This list is subject to being updated and edited as seen fit by AS staff and as stated before, any confusion should be directed to the staff so we may best assist you.
- [*]Genital mutilation.
[*]Graphic suicide/self harm.
To request access to this forum, please PM an Admin Aide and have your date of birth entered in your account.
Clarification on the forum: This forum is created for role plays that are based entirely around explicit content. Glorifying sensitive topics (as listed above) or sexualising them in a role play will have the thread moved to the invisible forum. If you create a role play that mentions these topics but does not actively include them in content, you are required to add warnings on the first post of the thread before you continue. Anyone who reads past these warnings is responsible for what they witness as they have received sufficient information about the content. If no warning is placed and you witness mentions of specific content, that thread will have such warnings placed. If you find graphic content consistently mentioned in a public thread then it will be moved to the invisible forum. AS likes to leave writers and audience responsible for what they read and create.
Spam: Due to a recent rise in spam both on forums and in PMs we would like to remind members that advertising outside of the appropriate forums is NOT tolerated. Posting in discussions and unrelated threads, advertising role plays or outside sites can result in a warning. Doing so in private messages can result in either a warning or a temporary ban. Members are responsible for reporting sightings both on the forums and in private messages so that this can be prevented. Please refer to listings for role plays and external websites to advertise your own sites.