Chat, socialize and discuss.

Moderator: Admin Aide

mr.kingrichard
Purple Belt
House: Sagacitas

Re: Your Opinion on Same-sex marriage? Discussion

Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:36 am

Hipsteryouu wrote:
mr.kingrichard wrote:Ok but I want what will make the minorities happy, not the people on the other side of the discussion. I don't care if the people opposing same-sex marriage are unhappy.
If you have a country where only the minority is pleased, you are going to have some serious issues. Not only is that completely unfair to most of the people in that country, but it's potentially dangerous because it could start riots. Just look at the issues in Ferguson and California. If you bring that a step up and apply it to the entire country, that could spell disaster. I don't see why just changing the name is that big of a deal, as long as homosexuals are allowed to be together and those opposing it don't have to call it a marriage. Everyone is happy then.
No, everyone is not happy. Here we are telling you we would not be happy with a civil union. Plus, a lot of the people on the other side don't want us to be together at all, period, endpoint. The point of making laws like this is to make the minority pleased, because the majority already has what they want.
Hi there, I was known as Mrs. Liz Knox on Chicken Smoothie, but you can call me Dictator or Elijah on here. I happen to be a transgender male, so if you are transgender and seeking advice, or you just want to know more about transgender or transsexual people, or gender issues and identities in general, feel free to private message me. I prefer masculine pronouns, such as he, him, his, and sir/mister. I used to be yourworlddictator.

Like queer characters? Like POC characters? Like both queer and POC characters? Then read Ironclaw.
REPLIES I HAVE YET TO FINISH (should be done by Sunday):
Stitches.
Red Belt
House: Vipera

Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:31 pm

mr.kingrichard wrote:
Hipsteryouu wrote:
mr.kingrichard wrote:Ok but I want what will make the minorities happy, not the people on the other side of the discussion. I don't care if the people opposing same-sex marriage are unhappy.
If you have a country where only the minority is pleased, you are going to have some serious issues. Not only is that completely unfair to most of the people in that country, but it's potentially dangerous because it could start riots. Just look at the issues in Ferguson and California. If you bring that a step up and apply it to the entire country, that could spell disaster. I don't see why just changing the name is that big of a deal, as long as homosexuals are allowed to be together and those opposing it don't have to call it a marriage. Everyone is happy then.
No, everyone is not happy. Here we are telling you we would not be happy with a civil union. Plus, a lot of the people on the other side don't want us to be together at all, period, endpoint. The point of making laws like this is to make the minority pleased, because the majority already has what they want.
I have to agree with mr.kingrichard here. It would certainly not be the same if you changed the name. I just don't see why it would be a big deal in the first place to keep it. In a way, I feel like straight/homophobic couples would almost be offended to share the term marriage, so they decided to create a subcategory and create discrimination. Sexuality is separate from religion, race, and other such things—they can't be used as an excuse. I simply feel that the people against gay marriage are only doing it because they don't think they are the same. It is different to them, they are different people, so you change it. If I end up with a woman, I won't be happy with a Civil union. Neither would any of the other bi/pan/homosexual people out there. It's discrimination—that is how we all perceive it.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Image______________________________________________________________________________________________________
the.high.priestess
Red Belt
House: Unsorted

Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:56 pm

• I'm going to post the same thing here that I posted on Christian Cafe about my opinion.

Morally, I do not support homosexual marriages. I believe that it is a sin in the Bible, but, no, I do not believe that homosexuals who believe that Jesus Christ is their savior will be sent to Hell or should be condemned for something that is not their choice. I believe that the Lord wants me to love my neighbors, so despite being morally against it, I support it being legal. It's a bit confusing, but think of this this way: I believe its a sin to be homosexual, but I believe that it is also a sin to judge and condemn another based on their sins. That is between them and God, and who am I to get in the way of that?
iceypop
White Belt

Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:14 am

i completely support it.

despite being christian, i am a demisexual, cis-gender female who happens to be gyneromantic and dating a young woman. needless to say, this is very difficult; people my age don't seem to think for themselves, and simply condemn same-sex couples and marriage because of how it's defined in their religion.

but that's the thing.

marriage doesn't come from christianity. the union/marrying of two individuals is in all religions and cultures, even those that have never heard of christianity. everyone has a way of doing it, and it shouldn't be limited to heterosexual couples based on what is traditionally prevalent. you see, marriage between same-sex couples isn't about the being united by god, or about the sacred bond that comes from it. that's because we don't need it. you heard me; homosexuals don't need marriage to be bound by sexual and romantic attraction. no one does. the only thing different about being married is that you have government benefits and respect of your union. we aren't fighting to be included in some ritual we're missing out on. all we want is to sign that piece of paper that allows us to be recognized as a family. officially. after all, non-christian couples can do it, so why can't we?
• Keith •
Purple Belt

Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:18 am

A.J. Birdie wrote:
    • I'm going to post the same thing here that I posted on Christian Cafe about my opinion.

Morally, I do not support homosexual marriages. I believe that it is a sin in the Bible, but, no, I do not believe that homosexuals who believe that Jesus Christ is their savior will be sent to Hell or should be condemned for something that is not their choice. I believe that the Lord wants me to love my neighbors, so despite being morally against it, I support it being legal. It's a bit confusing, but think of this this way: I believe its a sin to be homosexual, but I believe that it is also a sin to judge and condemn another based on their sins. That is between them and God, and who am I to get in the way of that?
  • I actually somewhat like how you said that. I am in complete favor of it, but this is a good thing. People can be against it, but it isn't their place to judge.

Also- I seriously don't understand why people are against it. Here are my counter reasons against a few things I've heard.

1. I don't want to see gay marriage/I don't want my children to turn gay.
    If you don't want to see it, don't look. And we aren't turning your children gay. I have never once had a homosexual force their sexuality down my throat, but I see heterosexuals do it all the time. From a young age, we are groomed to accept heterosexuality as the norm. When someone does that with homosexuality, it's horrible? Just because it's different doesn't mean it's bad.

2. It ruins the sanctity of marriage.
    How? Just because some people are doing it doesn't mean it 'ruins it'. Adolf Hitler was a human. Did he ruin the idea of humanity? No, because you view it however you view it. I have always viewed marriage as something between two people that love each other. So long as both parties are consenting and happy.

3. It will open the door for all sorts of things, like bestiality and incest!
    No. Believe me, it won't. Sure, there are those few nutters out there that want to marry and bang their dog, cousin, or even their truck. But are there enough of them to start demanding equality? No. In those cases, the other party is either not consenting (in the case of animals) or having children can lead to horrible birth complications/defects (incest).

4. The Bible says it's a sin!
    Yeah, you know what else is? Wearing mixed clothing, planting different crops together, shaving, eating shellfish... If you believe the Bible word for word, then you better be wearing nothing but pure cotton and be covered in hair, or else you're going to Hell just like the rest of us.

In all my days, I never have seen a good, strong argument against homosexuality in ANY way. I mean, we're so looked down upon that we can't donate blood. This country would hold off on healthy humans giving life-saving blood because of who we sleep with. GENITALS AND WHO WE DO THE DIRTY WITH DO NOT DEFINE US. Your genitals are of your concern, and mine are of mine.

Image Keith Male pronouns 24 Image
zoanthropist
White Belt

Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:57 am

Bless you all for taking the effort to debate this. I can barely handle other people's ignorance that I encounter in my everyday life. Thanks to those who set out to do some educating and add their support for the LGBTQ community. Much love for you all
Stitches.
Red Belt

Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:25 am

So I just wrote out this entire spew about my opinion, and then lost it to a reloading computer.
So here is this picture that I, personally, believe portrays the reality of excuses in a perfect way.
http://i.imgur.com/xhX7S.jpg

I recently visited a childhood friend's parents, who happen to be extremely religious. I sat down with them to talk about sexuality, vegetarianism, and other "taboo" ideas in the realm of Christianity. Well, I learned some valuable things from this visit that I will share.
First of all, religion is not nearly a legitimate excuse. Not only did they say that homosexuals should be equal, but they don't think gay marriage should be opposed. They pretty much eat, sleep, and breathe the bible, so this is a big statement. They said that the bible believes homosexuals should be treated with love and like everyone else. Hear that? We shouldn't be deprived of our rights of marriage.
Another point I would like to point out is that keeping gays from marriage is absolutely ridiculous from religion. I'm not targeting religion in any way, so I apologize if it seems that way. But in today's world, one can practice Buddhism and not be condemned to hell because of it. We have free religion, and anyone from another religion will not question the Buddhists. They coexist.
So why should religions say that gays can't marry? That's like saying that a Buddhist can't practice their religion because it is not your religion. It's downright unfair to some, and in no way is that treating them with 'love'.
And thank you Rin, your points are beautiful. <333
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Image______________________________________________________________________________________________________
westy,
Brown Belt

Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:57 pm

Kotayle
White Belt

Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:53 pm

• So a little bit about me- i live in Oregon and it just became legal here so i wont be posting if i think it should be legal or not because it already is legal... but i will say that i agree with their decision. Here are my thoughts on same sex marriage.

I think its great! According to psychology, being gay is not a choice. Biologically we are born one way and society has placed a norm based on old beliefs that derived from the bible. Now, i am not religious at all but i will say i cannot stand the people who are saying its okay because the bible says "God loves everyone but he hates their sins..." Well if being gay is a sin they that implies that being gay is a choice and if those who agree it is not a choice still think its a sin that that person is a sin themselves. Which is completely ass backwards...

My thought in general: I think same sex marriage is great. We cannot control much of who we are. We cannot decide who we are and where we were placed in the world to begin with but from the point of being able to make choices for ourselves- we can only make choices that develop who we are as people. If we want to be true to ourselves, our choices reflect it. I am not lesbian- i am engaged to a wonderful man and have many gay friends men and women alike. I love them like i love my straight friends and my bi friends. We are all people and we all love differently.

I don't care if people think its wrong, im not about to argue but i think it is SUPER important that everyone knows this:

It is okay to think what you want about same sex marriage, as well as any other issue but what is NOT okay is telling others they are wrong. I can accept other peoples point of views without accepting them as my own beliefs but the fact that some people think that their belief is the only right belief is egocentric and i just cant stand it. ITS OKAY to have differing opinions but everyone needs to accept that there is no wrong or right answer... everyone has a different perspective and that is OKAY. The ability to accept that others have a different way of thinking and feeling and experiencing the world based on who they are is the BIGGEST accomplishment in my eyes because with that, we can stop hating... there cant be hate with out understanding and you cannot understand anyone elses life or circumstances no matter how hard you try- you may relate with them and empathize but there will never be full understanding and therefor you cant hate someone or tell someone they are wrong... because to them and maybe a million others they are not wrong.

I wish we could live in a world with no hate and no judgment. Though that is impossible we can create a world of acceptance of difference or at least tolerance of difference, and that would be a blessing!

-End rant-
Lance Corporal
Purple Belt
House: Sagacitas

Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:02 pm

Ok here is my input on this topic.

I am a christian but I support same sex marriage. I am myself demi-heteroflexible. Yes same sex marriage is a sin? But no I do not believe those who are married or love someone of the same sex will burn in hell because I know quite a few in Real Life who are Christian and are absolutely amazing people. And ultimately it is wrong to judge people just because of who he or she chooses to love, it is just as wrong to judge people because of their gender, color of their skin, race and medical situation (Yes there are people who judge people because of that.) and it is not our job to judge people just for those reasons. It is like Catholics calling early Christians heretics in the past just because they wanted a english translation of the bible. But in this case it is the choice to let people choose who to love, it is each individuals decision not a societies decision.
Image Oh, I am heartily tired of hearing about what Lee is going to do. Some of you always seem to think he is suddenly going to turn a double somersault, and land in our rear and on both of our flanks at the same time. Go back to your command, and try to think what we are going to do ourselves, instead of what Lee is going to do. ~General "Unconditional
Surrender" Grant
============================legend □=Stuck| ■=Waiting| ○=Draft done| ●=Replied~Celliur~ {□} || blackpearl44 {■●} || momoko_kumori {■●}TheEdenProjectLove {■●} || juliall {■●} || Italy {○}Ariana Black {?}{?}{?}{?} There is a thing called real life and writer's block. Please no harassing me for replies. Muse= ---------- Notice: Because of real life I am behind on replies. Please be patient. They will get done as I find time to reply.