Flowers 4 Bees

Chat, socialize and discuss.
Sila
Silver Belt
House: Unsorted

Flowers 4 Bees

Post by Sila » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:31 pm

What can beat flowers in your garden, patio, or little pot? Well lots of things but they are really great to have around right? They take pollutes out of the air, decorate the room, and you get to speak to them without the plant talking back! It's like a Teddy bear that you can love just the same but at the same times it's alive. For the people who are not allowed to have even a fish, a plant can be a sure fire way to convince your parents to get something alive but never really having to take care of it. As long as appropriate sunlight and water is applied you'll have a healthy and beautiful plants for years to come! 

Now, since that was the introduction, let's get down to the basics. The real reason this topic was created was because we need to save the bees. Yeah, you know the thing you might be allergic to or the thing that makes honey for you to add to your cereal or green tea. Those buzzing insects we believe are an annoying nuisance is actually the one thing we need to survive on earth. 

Think about it, bees pollinate. That means they keep the flowers healthy by going around and collecting pollen and nectar then moving on to another flower.

What if the bees disappeared completely?

We. Die. Simple as that.

It's not just flowers that bees affect, it's EVERY PLANT.  Apples, oranges, cherries, mainly all vegetables, mainly all fruits. Without bees all these major food spruces will disappear and we'll die off. You might be thinking that we can survive off of fruits and veggies and live on meats and other food groups. WRONG. 

Bees affect everything! Remember that? Well remember when I said flowers and plants take out harmful pollutes in the air? Well without bees to properly care for them the plants die and we are left with a smoggy sky that slowly chokes all animals and us. It will be like when a meteor struck the earth and a dust cloud so large it killed the plants and eventually the dinosaurs. It won't go away because there won't be enough plants to produce enough healthy oxygen. 

We need bees, you might not think so but we do. Millions of bees have died already but there is still hope!  

Last edited by Sila on Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sila
Silver Belt

Ways to help

Post by Sila » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:54 pm

If you want to help or just want to start a garden, try these outdoor plants. They are great for bees and will attract these fellas to your garden.

One of the biggest things that you can do is not buying pesticides. These harmful chemicals kill millions of bees every day and makes pollinating a whole lot harder. If you want to attract bees or plant flowers then don't spray pesticides!!

**This also goes for non-organic fertilizer. When a plant grows in the soil that has been enhanced by chemicals then it can harm the bee when they pollenate. If you are looking for fertilizer make sure it is 100% organic. You can read the label of ingredients on the back to see whether or not its organic.**

***If there is a bee hive near/in your house, shed, or anywhere nearby and you're afraid for family, pets, or friends, do NOT. I repeat. DO NOT CALL AN EXTERMINATOR. One reason why bees are at an all time low is because people hire someone to kill them. Find your local beehive expert and have them safely remove the hive. They're experts, they aren't going to yank the hive and run with it, they'll carry the bees out safely while making sure you and your family didn't get stung.***

This website is great for learning more about what you can do to help. Click

-Aster Aster
            -Black-eyed Susan Rudbeckia
            -Caltrop Kallstroemia
            -Creosote bush Larrea
            -Currant Ribes
            -Elder Sambucus
            -Goldenrod Solidago
            -Huckleberry Vaccinium
            -Joe-pye weed Eupatorium
            -Lupine Lupinus
            -Oregon grape Berberis
            -Penstemon Penstemon
            -Purple coneflower Echinacea
            -Rabbit-brush Chrysothamnus
            -Rhododendron Rhododendron
            -Sage Salvia
            -Scorpion-weed Phacelia
            -Snowberry Symphoricarpos
            -Stonecrop Sedum
            -Sunflower Helianthus
            -Wild buckwheat Eriogonum
            -Wild-lilac Ceanothus
            -Willow Salix

Bee Boxes and How to Build One

If you rather buy than build that's fine, if you rather build than buy go ahead! If you rather do neither and just plant then go ahead! No choice is bad, well except at least considering having one flower for them. Anyway, if you want to build a bee box click here.

If you want any information on a bee box then keep reading!

A bee box is a makeshift beehive where bees are free to go in and out of, colonize and make honey. Attracting bees with flowers are great but if you want to take the next step then give them a home to live in.

The bees are thirsty and need a drink! Make a cheap bee watering station for them.

Like anything that needs water to survive, a bee gets tired and thirsty and with summer's hot day bees can die from heat exhaustion. If you have the time, space, and about $10 you can make a very cheap watering station for them.

Supplies needed:
Small and/or cheap pet water dispenser
water
rocks and/or sticks, glass marbles (any shape or size), jelly marbles that absorb water

Look before you SMACK!

It's natural to want to scream away from flying insects, its instinct to kill it before it kills you. There is nothing wrong with a little precaution but before you smack the next buzzing yellow thing make sure you know what it is before you kill it because killing a honey bee, or any bee for that matter, will help no one. To know the difference between a bee and a hornet or wasp, remember that the less fuzz and fat they are, the more attitude they have.

See the two at the bottom? How they are fat and fuzzy? Those are bees and they only want to help, they aren't out to destroy the world (the ones above them are). I know that getting close to an insect still may not be what you want to do so if you're unsure or allergic then don't smack, just leave. Shrieking in fear is better than possibly killing a friendly pollinator.
Last edited by Sila on Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:28 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Sila
Silver Belt

Re: Flowers 4 Bees wip

Post by Sila » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:26 pm

Facts you probably didn't know!

Source: Click

1.The honey bee has been around for millions of years.
2. Honey bees, scientifically also known as Apis mellifera, are environmentally friendly and are vital as pollinators.
3. It is the only insect that produces food eaten by man.
honey bee facts image
4. Honey is the only food that includes all the substances necessary to sustain life, including enzymes, vitamins, minerals, and water; and it's the only food that contains "pinocembrin", an antioxidant associated with improved brain functioning.
5.Honey bees have 6 legs, 2 compound eyes made up of thousands of tiny lenses (one on each side of the head), 3 simple eyes on the top of the head, 2 pairs of wings, a nectar pouch, and a stomach.
6.Honey bees have 170 odorant receptors, compared with only 62 in fruit flies and 79 in mosquitoes. Their exceptional olfactory abilities include kin recognition signals, social communication within the hive, and odor recognition for finding food. Their sense of smell is so precise that it could differentiate hundreds of different floral varieties and tell whether a flower carried pollen or nectar from meters away.
honey bee facts image
7. The honey bee's wings stroke incredibly fast, about 200 beats per second, thus making their famous, distinctive buzz. A honey bee can fly for up to six miles, and as fast as 15 miles per hour.
8.The average worker bee produces about 1/12th teaspoon of honey in her lifetime.
9.A hive of bees will fly 90,000 miles, the equivalent of three orbits around the earth to collect 1 kg of honey.
10.It takes one ounce of honey to fuel a bee's flight around the world.
11.A honey bee visits 50 to 100 flowers during a collection trip.
12.The bee's brain is oval in shape and only about the size of a sesame seed, yet it has remarkable capacity to learn and remember things and is able to make complex calculations on distance travelled and foraging efficiency.
13.A colony of bees consists of 20,000-60,000 honeybees and one queen. Worker honey bees are female, live for about 6 weeks and do all the work.
14.The queen bee can live up to 5 years and is the only bee that lays eggs. She is the busiest in the summer months, when the hive needs to be at its maximum strength, and lays up to 2500 eggs per day. Click here to learn more about the Honey Bee Life Cycle,
15.Larger than the worker bees, the male honey bees (also called drones), have no stinger and do no work at all. All they do is mating.
16.Each honey bee colony has a unique odour for members' identification.
17.Only worker bees sting, and only if they feel threatened and they die once they sting. Queens have a stinger, but they don't leave the hive to help defend it.
18.It is estimated that 1100 honey bee stings are required to be fatal.
19.Honey bees communicate with one another by dancing. More on their awesome sense of time, communication of distance and direction in "The Awesome Honeybee Dance".
20.During winter, honey bees feed on the honey they collected during the warmer months. They form a tight cluster in their hive to keep the queen and themselves warm.
Last edited by Sila on Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sila
Silver Belt

Re: Flowers 4 Bees

Post by Sila » Sun May 31, 2015 1:51 am

Bump cuz this is important

I'm the demonic angel, bloodhoney;, and color-brained. Please don't use.

obsidian
Yellow Belt

Post by obsidian » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:15 am

This makes me want to retire on a bee ranch like the one Morgan Freeman has, I'm not kidding, you've seriously changed my life goals (please don't think I'm being sarcastic, I get frustrated because I come off as snarky on accident) Thank you, I may not be able to do most of the things on this list now, but when I am older and richer and looking to settle down (hopefully before the bees are extinct), you know where you'll find me.

Sila
Silver Belt

Post by Sila » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:53 pm

That's great news :) if you retire to raise bees then you'll have honey 24/7. Most people can't have the bee box but the plants definitely help. I've heard that using organic soil is better than soil with chemicals that make the plant grow. If you do plant flowers get t organic because it's much better for the bees. I'm glad you found this interesting!

Lance Corporal
Blue Belt
House: Sagacitas

Post by Lance Corporal » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:51 am

Out where I live I have all sorts of plants that attract bees. Including this big treet that has flowers well into the season. We get so many it is safe to say that we have a healthy population out here. Then again quite a few own two or more bee houses. If I was not so allergic to their stings I would too. But sadly I can't.
Image Oh, I am heartily tired of hearing about what Lee is going to do. Some of you always seem to think he is suddenly going to turn a double somersault, and land in our rear and on both of our flanks at the same time. Go back to your command, and try to think what we are going to do ourselves, instead of what Lee is going to do. ~General "Unconditional
Surrender" Grant
============================legend □=Stuck| ■=Waiting| ○=Draft done| ●=Replied~Celliur~ {□} || blackpearl44 {■●} || momoko_kumori {■●}TheEdenProjectLove {■●} || juliall {■●} || Italy {○}Ariana Black {?}{?}{?}{?} There is a thing called real life and writer's block. Please no harassing me for replies. Muse= ----------

Sila
Silver Belt

Post by Sila » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:27 pm

That's awesome news :) Protect them if you can. It seems like they have a hive somewhere nearby but since you're allergic let them take care of the house. It's great there are so many around your house! They won't bother you unless you bother them first.

Sila
Silver Belt

Post by Sila » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:17 pm

I recently put out a bee waterer, really cheap pet waterer and added sticks to it so the bees would have something to land on. If anyone ever decides to do this and you rather not use sticks, glass marbles or large rocks can work.

Also the jelly marbles that absorb water works great too! Has anyone done anything like this or have their own bee stories to tell?

AvariciousAlice
White Belt
Location: The frigid Canadian...uh, south, which in fact is not that cold. <3

Post by AvariciousAlice » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:14 pm

/whispers
Hellooooo. ;u;

So, we've been having so many droughts and things here and no bees, just wasps and hornets. :c Wasps and hornets are out to destroy the world and steal my cake, aiyaaa Q A Q
I saw the cutest, most adorbimous li'l yiddle honeybee earlier, though, and then I came on here to check if a friend I'm stalking has been online, and then I saw this topic. :'D
Man, I wish I could've snagged a photo! She was such a cutie patootie baby.~ She crawled all over my arm and almost gave me a heart attack, but hhh. Worth it. I'd have set up a watering station except there's a 'no water waste' ordinance in my area and apparently that includes watering plants and anything alive you don't legally own ;u;
...Re:wasps, though! I saw the funniest thing earlier. There was this little spider just chilling on the ivy growing on my fence (that ivy, by the way, looks like it's permanently flipping you off - it's got five-pointed leaves and the point corresponding to a middle finger is longest :"D) with his web, and suddenly this wasp just up and flies into it. So he goes, and he just kinda walks up and stares at it, avariciously jiggling his front pair of legs like "Ha-ha! I have you now!" a la Tom Lehrer in his Lobachevsky sketch. Starts wrapping web around it and the wasp tolerates this for a while before basically calling racial discrimination, turning tf on that spider and pretty much trying to eat him. He turned out to be more evasive than it thought he'd be, so it threw him the 20 centimeters to the ground like, "THIS IS SPARTAAAAAAA". That wasp was such a rude. xD
The spider hobbled off looking probably concussed.
"My dear lady hornet, you offend my delicate patrician sensibilities," said the spider, toffishly adjusting his top hat in my imagination as he tottered ambivalently to safety.
"Well, good spider," snapped the scandalized hornet, disentangling herself from his web. "You can take your delicate patrician sensibilities and shove them in your [buzz]."