Purple Belt
House: Unsorted

Post by peter parker » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:24 pm

thunderofthedrum
Site Administrator
House: Halcyon

Re: Sciencey Talk

Post by thunderofthedrum » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:32 pm

I know this thread seems more geared to people who already like or voluntarily explore science, but if anyone ever needs help with simple genetics, Punnett squares, ecology, wildlife management, meiosis, genetic drift, bio math stuff, etc - I am always willing to help if I can!

┌─────────────────┐
If you ever see harassment, spam, fights, bullying,
or even just something that MAY be
hurtful/inappropriate but you aren't sure,
don't hesitate to report! Staff is there to help.
My door is always open.
RulesSorting QuizStaff Page

└─────────────────┘

Batheir
White Belt
House: Sagacitas

Post by Batheir » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:33 pm

• Oooh, science! I really like science, actually. It's one of my best subjects in school, and I've always been quite fond of it. Right now I'm on my Physics unit, and I love it so far! Biology was really fun as well. I'm only in grade 10 right now, so I'm guessing my knowledge of a lot of these things is less than all of yours, but that's okay! More for me to learn, lol.

Durnehviir
Green Belt
House: Amaranthine

Post by Durnehviir » Wed May 10, 2017 11:02 pm

• Ah I love science! Ill be graduating high school this year and ill be going to university for Marine Biology!
    As a smol child ive always been fascinated with life and how ecosystems and everything else works. Chemistry is a really close second because of all the chemicals and reactions! Last year when I had chem, I would have a lab once a week and they were honestly one of the best 45 minutes of the day. Being able to study certain chemicals was awesome.
    Definitely a science fan ^^
[/i]

anonymous;
Black Belt

Post by anonymous; » Sun May 21, 2017 3:28 am

• i'm a lab tech so like if you have any questions about lab testing or just
    blood or any of the fantastic body fluids i probably know something about it

curly.
Purple Belt

Post by curly. » Mon May 22, 2017 3:56 am

• anybody here a zoology major?
    i am hoping to get my masters in zoology to become a veterinarian, and this summer i am going to south africa for an internship researching terrestrial wildlife!

thunderofthedrum
Site Administrator

Post by thunderofthedrum » Tue May 23, 2017 8:13 pm

I take it you aren't American? Here the path is typically a bachelors and then vet school as far as I know. I nearly finished a degree in zoology but switched it to wildlife biology - the main differences are that mine focuses a little more on North American species (for fieldwork and species identification), includes botany, and also emphasizes wildlife management and how people view and affect wildlife. At least where I am, it's tough to get into the field without having contacts to help you get your name in there and your foot in the door. As a result, I then studied GIS and currently do that. I did work at an exotic game ranch for a bit and I had an internship on a dairy goat ranch that hand raises calves and high end breeding stock WTD though? Too bad putting 'goat milker' on my reume wouldn't make a difference. XD

South Africa sounds AMAZING. International internships are just too expensive for me though, especially since they are usually unpaid. All of the travel and food expenses are something I just couldn't afford unfortunately.

┌─────────────────┐
If you ever see harassment, spam, fights, bullying,
or even just something that MAY be
hurtful/inappropriate but you aren't sure,
don't hesitate to report! Staff is there to help.
My door is always open.
RulesSorting QuizStaff Page

└─────────────────┘

curly.
Purple Belt

Post by curly. » Thu May 25, 2017 5:22 pm

• ye i'm american, i actually live in florida which is why i wanted to be a marine biologist for a long time. i only recently switched to zoology because i wanted to pursue a degree in veterinary medicine. i'm really lucky that i have a lot of resources and connections where i am, it really makes it a lot easier. a goat ranch actually sounds fun though! i raise and breed chickens and ducks, but that's not really a part of my resume or anything. just something i do for fun

yeah i'm super lucky that i have the chance to study abroad, and i'm super excited about it. it's gonna be on a big game reserve and i believe it's studying small mammals and also giraffe behavior and something with lions and rhinos too. i think there are several project that i will be working on that i'm just over the moon about. i've been saving up for this for a while now, though. i actually got a lot of the money for it from selling the chickens and ducks that i breed lol. i also sell the eggs too, but most of the money i got was from selling baby chicks! it's super fun for me to do anyway and then to make money off of it is just a bonus. plus i don't even need an incubator, i have my hens do all of the work xD

Esspe
Orange Belt
House: Sagacitas

Post by Esspe » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:30 am

• [still posting although this thread looks a little inactive, haha.] i'm an environmental science major! it seems i'm hell-bent on surrounding myself with the most math-heavy classes and i am not good at math. i took astronomy last semester and really enjoyed it despite having a pretty rough professor. it's weird because my community college requires transfer science credits to transfer to the university and the types of science classes you can take a pretty all over the place. i'm focusing on forestry, conservation and wildlife biology for my degree but, here i am, taking astronomy. funny how i'm focusing on earth-based sciences,
    but i'm busying myself with other planets and universes. how's that for procrastination?
{12/14} - officially out for christmas break! expect replies soon. c:
heyo! i'm esspe, the resident alien. i'm not currently open for 1x1s or group roleplays, but i might break that
rule occasionally. i'm a full-time college student. however, i do waste spend quite a bit of my free time
(if not, all of it) on as. feel free to drop me a PM if you have questions or just want to chat. c:
my time. list of roleplays. my characters.
ImageImage

muse: ●●●●●●●●●time:●●●●●◌◌◌◌◌ motivation: ●●●●●◌◌◌◌◌