Pagan Darlings

Chat, socialize and discuss.

Where do you stand?

Pagan and proud!
29%
I'm in the market, trying to learn a little of everything!
33%
I never really thought about it
38%

Total votes: 24
noceurro
Purple Belt
House: Halcyon

Re: Pagan Darlings

Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:13 am

• Slips into thread and bookmarks. My witchy senses are tingling. Hello~
[/size]
butterspoon
Green Belt
House: Sagacitas

Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:55 am

• @Cactus; Same. I think it's mostly because they don't actually know what it is. I mean, the people that disagree. Because all they ever say is "we didn't come from monkeys" okay... You're kinda right.
      I actually sat down and explained it to a couple Witnesses once and they were like. Oh. That... Actually makes sense.
      My grandma used to have letter writing every week at our house and it was. Very difficult for me to sit through. This was after watching a video basically explaining how evolution had no proof and required just as much faith as religion? Okay 1. no 2. religion and science can absolutely coexist. Who's to say God didn't create evolution? I dunno, it's not religions themselves I have an issue with, but people shouldn't hide their ignorance behind it. That just gives religion a bad name.

@noceurro Hello friend! :D
[/size]
noceurro
Purple Belt

Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:20 am

• @u ı ɐ ʇ d ɐ ɔ I am curious on your opinion about something. What is your take on cultural terms? A while back, I was harassed for using the term "chakra" as it is apparently a term that comes from a closed culture (I'm 100% sure it is not a "closed term") and to use the term "energy points" instead. The same goes for seeing people saying that spirit "animal" is a closed term and to use the term "companion" in its place. Now. Being eclectic, I take philosophies, terms, practices, etc., from a large variety of cultures and religions. And anyone I have spoken to when learning has never told me that I am not allowed to do this. Another point I'd like to add is that these so called closed terms mean the exact same thing that their counterparts do, meaning it isn't specific to a religion or culture in its entirety. So my thing is, what is up with these so called culturally open terms? Is it an actual thing, or are people simply trying to causes problems where they do not lie?
[/size]
butterspoon
Green Belt

Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:27 am

• That is absolutely ridiculous. Personally, I have a very strong opinion on "cultural appropriation" but it's not the popular stance. I think culture is a beautiful thing that is to be shared. Not only that, but there's no way of telling where your own background lies. People that tell you not to use, say, an Irish term, may not even know that OH HEY your family is from Ireland. Not only that, but as a Pagan I personally believe in past lives, in which I could have potentially existed in infinite cultures. Culture is shared and celebrated, ESPECIALLY religion. Every religion has followers around the globe. To suggest that you cannot use a specific term to describe your own beliefs and practices is absurd.
      ... But that's just me c:
[/size]
noceurro
Purple Belt

Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:56 am

• I am quite glad someone else perceives it that way. I think it is silly and all around petty to say that using a specified term is inappropriate or should be restricted. This past summer, I traveled to California and while I was in Tehachapi, I visited, Taegosah (Mountain Spirit Center) which is a Buddhist Monastery. And while we were walking around, we shockingly had one of the monks come and greet us. Now, with coming from a Christian home, I was careful with speaking to the man around my parents. But, I managed to get a hold of him at one point and ask him honestly if it was a religion for anyone to be a part of as long as they had an open heart, soul and mind. His response to me was a yes. And I believe that his words goes to show that, no, not all religions and cultures and closed to everyone else. Meaning, if someone is willing to use terms and things from certain cultures and such with respect and and open mind of knowledge and grasp on what it is, they have a right to use it. This isn't about one's nationality, or ethnicity, culture, religion, gender, sexuality, and so forth. It's about respect in the culture itself, and as long as you show that in your words and actions, you have the right to express yourself spiritually. After all, it's not about being religious, it's about being spiritual. Actually, there was something I saw awhile back that really, truly spoke to me. "With Spirituality, comes Morality. Morality is doing what is right regardless of what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told regardless of what is right. Spiritual people are not god-less. We just happen to honor the "god" in all of us. Divinity is in you, as it is in me." I think some people really need to look at the big picture is all~
    Also, if you don't mind me asking, what are some specific beliefs you have? Just as an...ice breaker, I suppose.
butterspoon
Green Belt

Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:23 am

• Yes, I agree with all of that. It's amazing that you got to hear it from a monk! I also have a quote that has stuck with me on the subject, if you don't mind me sharing:
      "The glory of life surmounts the fear of death. Good Christians fear Hellfire, so to avoid it they are kind to their fellow man. Good pagans do not have this fear, so they can be who they are. Good or ill, as their nature dictates. We have no fear of God, so we are accountable to no one but each other."
      I believe quite literally that "every rock and tree and creature has a life, has a spirit, has a name" (yes it's from Pocahontas fight me). I think that God names like Zeus and Odin and Morrigan are names for energies and phenomenons. Everything has energy, and we can learn to share and mold that energy with others.
      I also believe in past lives, and have quite a few vivid memories. I wouldn't have thought twice about them if I hadn't met a good handful of people that had told me the exact same stories, down to names and time periods, without me having uttered a word.
[/size]
noceurro
Purple Belt

Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:37 pm

• That is honestly very beautiful. I'll have to mark it down someplace.
    Hmm, as in a type of sort branching from animism? The attribution of a soul to plants, creatures, inanimate objects, and natural phenomena? As far as I am aware, it is a belief to several if not more societies, religions, cultures- but is not limited to as it is a belief concept in my opinion more than a stone pillar for one religion. A philosophy more so followed by a percentage of people. Or is more their energies, or both?
    And that's interesting, would you mind telling me more?~
butterspoon
Green Belt

Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:32 pm

• The quote is from Penny Dreadful, actually. It stuck with me for some reason.
      It's mostly energies. Like personally, I don't think I can be reincarnated as say, a tree? Possibly some animal, but I think souls tend to have a preference. But everything has energy. For example, my element is fire, and that's what I use to draw power and calming from, but it doesn't necessarily have a self-aware spirit in itself. Everything has energy/an aura. I believe "witchcraft" is just the practice of controlling and interacting with these energies.
      Oh sure! I've always had weird memories/voices/unexplained knowledge in my head. Like I would know things, but wouldn't be able to recall learning them. Or feel like there were multiple minds in my head. It freaked me out at first because I was afraid I was insane, but then I met one of my now close friends in high school. When we were introduced she kinda just stopped dead and stared at me for a few seconds before stammering back into the conversation. A few weeks later, she told me she recognized me and it caught her off guard. Then she started telling me stories that lined up with my own reoccurring dreams and things like that.
      Since then, I've met more people with which I've had a similar experience. I rememberrrr six lives of mine. Pompeii/something similar and druid Ireland are the ones I can pinpoint a time period to easiest. Scandinavia, Italy, England, and Scotland are all, I believe, between the sixteenth and nineteenth centuries?? I actually drew all my own faces that I remember once, just to get them out of my head. The friend I mentioned before was Gwen's adoptive mother, Brigh.
      I have meeeet... Remi's sister, Brigh and her husband and son, Gwen's close friend, Scarlet's best friend as well as her husband and two daughters and their grandparents, Darsi's sister and niece and both of their husbands, Kait's husband and best friend, and the last one's sister and wife.
      Here's the pic, sorry for the crappy quality!
[/size]
Rocked Out Alien
Bronze Belt

Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:59 am

i have never believed in what I can't see
Also the higher power really don't exist but humans are addiction people living routines and getting addicted to do certain stuff every day

Some people's higher power is just worse than others'
I guess that is how I generally have it about religion.

Everything these days is religion and money
When comes the time where people turn logic
butterspoon
Green Belt

Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:05 am

• Ah, but you see
      I have seen things that made me believe
      Though, my "higher powers" are not deities, necessarily
      More like energies
      It's been scientifically proven that humans have an electrical charge--an am frequency, even, that we can, to some degree, control
      There is a theory that this energy can leap to other people/things, and that everything has similar energy
      I have seen a lot, but my beliefs are not without logic ^-^
[/size]