Event Change Discussion

Chat, socialize and discuss.

What do you think we should do for the bonus points?

Keep as it was; 50 points; people earned it
66%
Lower to half ; 25
18%
Lower to 10; 10% seems adequate
4%
Eliminate entirely; doing all is hard enough
7%
Lower it but not sure how much or dont care; 50 puts people too far ahead
4%

Total votes: 68

forlorn.
Archivist
House: Halcyon

Event Change Discussion

Post by forlorn. » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:01 pm

As I'm sure some of you may have noticed, it was recently decided to change the bonus points for completing all 100 summer prompts from 50 points to 10 points. There has been quite a bit of discussion and disagreement on this decision, so we would love to hear input from the rest of our community.

Please be respectful. Anything spoken in a rude manner or seen as a threat will be removed and you will be PMed the post so you have an opportunity to reword your sentiments.

cider
Green Belt

Re: Event Change Discussion

Post by cider » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:11 pm

I have already made some of my points known in a chat, but was advised to do so here as well.

1. I feel as if the users that are actually trying are being punished. Another user only has to do 10 prompts for my "bonus" to no longer be a bonus. That's only 10% of the total that was posted to be done. It seems like a measly amount to do in order to make someone who did all 100 have a mute bonus.

2. It was never discussed or announced. The team of mods should have been included in the decision or at least told before it occurred. You have mods on the team that have been trying to do all 100 prompts, so it would have been easy to ask them what their opinion was of the change and how they thought the community would feel but that was never done. It was also never announced to anyone on the site and was only found because someone went back and reread the post and mentioned it to some of the rest of us. As someone who was planning on cramming in the 100 prompts once I moved, I'm glad I was informed by someone or I would have been pissed to find out I did all that work and spent all that time for 10 points and not 50.

3. I don't really know what warranted the change other than there were members that felt pressured to do them all or else another house might do them all and the 50 points would make it impossible them to catch up. Your response to lowering the points from 50 to 10 is that there are now other ways to earn points. Why wasn't that your response to anyone who complained? Tell them to submit things to the afflatus or that there will be more challenges coming. Don't change the reward for a contest that is already over halfway done.

I apologize for any errors as I am at work and currently don't have time to proofread. Thanks for this thread where we can discuss and possibly change it back.
Last edited by cider on Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

noceurro
Purple Belt

Post by noceurro » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:12 pm

• I'm extremely disheartened by this. Many loyal members who have been working hard towards 100 points from all houses have been doing so in order to get the additional 50 bonus points for finishing all 100 prompts. And now, only when the event is coming to a slow, those who have worked hard to get all 100 done have been cheated out of 40 bonus points that they were promised, only because those who have not been keeping up are complaining. In point, the AS staff has cheated their loyal members who have worked hard because a few people complained and I find this to not only be wrong but disheartening to those who have worked hard. In point, this is not impressing to me whatsoever and this has made me think twice about wanting to participate for this very reason in large activities.
IVE BEEN AN ANGEL ALL YEAR, SANTA BABY
╒══════════════════════╕
Aye. I like knives, the occult and the stars.
I have a prince for a lover and best friend.

╘══════════════════════╛
HURRY DOWN THE CHIMNEY TONIGHT!
╒══════════════════════╕
Hal | Twenty | Witch | College Student
My Boy | My Brother | My Alpha

╘══════════════════════╛

Meraki
Attendant

Post by Meraki » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:14 pm

• Although I see what went in to the decision making for these changes, I believe it severely demotivates and penalizes those trying to keep up for the extra points or those planning on catching up. The changes in points makes it hardly worth the effort of doing all of them in my opinion and it's not necessarily just about the points. I do realize there are other chances to be awarded points but for this, its about the reward for more taxing efforts. It takes more effort to write a prompt than to submit something to the Afflatus, therefor it should be treated with a higher reward. I believe this should have been a change more widely discussed with all members before being implemented as it does affect everyone participating.

Most of this can be summarized by Cider's post above, but I feel like my own input is still helpful.
BABY IT'S COLD OUTSIDE, I'LL HOLD YOUR
╒══════════════════════╕
I am an Attendant here on AS. If you have
any questions/concerns feel free to pm me

╘══════════════════════╛
HANDS THEYRE JUST LIKE ICE
╒══════════════════════╕
Connor|Fox obsessed|Currently open to rps
Storage, My angel, Coding Corner, Contact.

╘══════════════════════╛

Night Fury
Admin Aide
House: Sagacitas Keeper

Post by Night Fury » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:41 pm

I personally am a bit disappointed in this. Not that the bonus has changed, but from some of the reactions I've seen. I know that it was a source of motivation for a lot of people, and I respect that, but for me personally, it's disappointing in another way. As Keeper of Sagacitas, I'm just happy to see my house rallying together and building bonds. It excites me when I see how giddy they are each time they've posted a prompt and are showing it off to the others in Sagacitas and just overall are happy about their work. That's what this is all about. I understand that many who have been working on prompts and keeping up with them every single day would be disheartened that their work won't add up to as much in the end, which is completely understandable. I myself wanted to get all the prompts done in order to reach that 50 bonus so even I'm a bit disappointed that in the end it won't be as much,
but we shouldn't all be down about it. It's all for fun, and I for one am so proud that my members have put so much work in it even if some knew that they wouldn't even reach that bonus. This is what this event is all about.

Esspe
Orange Belt
House: Sagacitas

Post by Esspe » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:54 pm

• I can see how the drop in bonus points would demotivate some people who were kicking ass at the prompts. In the end, after you put a lot of effort into the 100 Days of Summer, I can see how it would be mildly vexing to have some of that incentive stripped away more than halfway through the event. However, and I agree with night fury, I don't feel like this event should necessarily be treated as a competition. That's where a lot of people got discouraged. Instead of coming together to share writing and enjoying it, it kind of took on this competitive vibe. I understand that the grand idea is to win points, but it struck a divide between houses. At least from my point of view. I really wanted to use this as a way to get me motivated in regards to my writing and maybe share it with my house casually. But, I totally understand where people are getting a tad disappointed. Personally, I'm not keeping tabs on the event, nor am I forcing myself to write words that aren't there, but I don't speak for everyone. Some users are really giving it their all. That's when I think it's a little unfair to take the incentive away.
    Thank you for giving us this platform to speak our minds!
{12/14} - officially out for christmas break! expect replies soon. c:
heyo! i'm esspe, the resident alien. i'm not currently open for 1x1s or group roleplays, but i might break that
rule occasionally. i'm a full-time college student. however, i do waste spend quite a bit of my free time
(if not, all of it) on as. feel free to drop me a PM if you have questions or just want to chat. c:
my time. list of roleplays. my characters.
ImageImage

muse: ●●●●●●●●●time:●●●●●◌◌◌◌◌ motivation: ●●●●●◌◌◌◌◌

cognomen
Blue Belt
House: Vipera

Post by cognomen » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:07 pm

At one point, I think I noticed a member mentioning a more dynamic system of bonus points--which I think would create a good balance between those who want to see the points restored and those who want to see them removed. For example >
<= 10 prompts: no bonus
11-25 prompts: 5 point bonus
26-50 prompts: 10 point bonus
51-75 prompts: 15 point bonus
76-99 prompts: 20 point bonus
100 prompts: 30 point bonus
(maybe with different numbers? but the general idea intact.)

edit: This system would really reinforce that this is not a completion event and everyone who participates genuinely matters in the grand scheme of things.

shamespren
Yellow Belt
House: Vipera

Post by shamespren » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:13 pm

epithet wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:07 pm
At one point, I think I noticed a member mentioning a more dynamic system of bonus points--which I think would create a good balance between those who want to see the points restored and those who want to see them removed. For example >

edit: This system would really reinforce that this is not a completion event and everyone who participates genuinely matters in the grand scheme of things.
  • This seems like an excellent compromise for everyone involved - it definitely gives incentive for any sort of participation, which I think is a happy medium between "I'm not doing any prompts" and "I have to do every single one."

toast
Gold Belt
House: Sagacitas

Post by toast » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:17 pm

• i think it's very important to recognize that your house can still get ahead even if the bonus points are lowered. 10 doesn't seem like a lot when you look at it on an individual level, but when you start adding all these bonus points together, it builds. Say 10 people complete all the prompts, that's 100 extra points going to you house as opposed to 500, which suddenly feels very large when you take out the context of the individual. After all, this is more or less a team competition (although I fully admit I'm involved because I'm impatient and want specific scenes to write but I don't want to wait until those situations occur in rp).

As a personal opinion, I don't care either way. Keep the points the same or change that, it doesn't matter to me. However I can understand the sentiment behind wantin lower bonuses, because as someone who doesn't have the time to complete a bunch of prompts because life likes to give me swift kicks in the ass, 50 points seems like a kudos for having more time on their hands to write. And this isn't me saying that everyone who has completed a lot of prompts doesn't have a life, but ultimately my priorities lie with my duties to my job, school, and the family who needs my help. It's not that I don't care about the competition or don't want to participate, I'm just unable to because my free time falls right before bed, usually on days that I've been up since before dawn or on days before my needing to be up before dawn.

i also have a few responses for the previous posters:
    1) cider: I don't fully understand what you mean by another member doing 10 prompts counteracts your bonus points. Could you please elaborate what you mean? I have a vague idea what you mean, but from my understanding, the bonus 50 could still be counteracted by a single member only completing 50 prompts.

2) noceurro: what constitutes as a loyal member? Wouldn't anyone participating in the event be considered a loyal member since they're engaging? I don't think I'm any less loyal than others because I only have the time to complete 5.

3) epithet: that actually sounds like a great system! While it is cool to have a goal for getting the entire event completed, rewarding people for what they can get done is a great way to encourage participation. This kind of links back to a prior point of mine, where writing time can be hard to come by because life sucks sometimes, but our efforts are being recognized regardless. Maybe with different points, so completing all 100 prompts still gets higher rewards, but it's not so overwhelming and gives all small milestones that can eventually build to the end goal.

cider
Green Belt

Post by cider » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:09 pm

epithet wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:07 pm

I'm glad this was brought up here because I had thought of the same thing on a smaller scale. i.e. 25 points for doing 50 prompts and the 50 for doing all 100. Your scale seems to be a good way for everyone to feel like they're helping out and reaching "goals" so to speak. Even if they only did get time or muse to do 11 of them.

toast; Forgive me as I was rather heated when I keyboard slammed that post. It just to me felt like if I did 100 prompts and got a 10 point bonus, that 10 point bonus would be mute so to speak if another member simply did 10 prompts. Which in the grand scheme doesn't seem like very many. But I'm also looking at this from a competition stand point because I believed that's what this was. Because in the end - regardless of what happens - there will be a house in first and a house in last. That in itself is a flaw if you want everyone to be happy. No one wants to come in last and feel like they weren't good enough.

Another argument for keeping points higher is that yes it can make a house harder to catch, but one member from a house that's behind could finish all 100 prompts and then boost their whole house up to the next level. Which I feel could be a good thing for a house that doesn't have many participants.