The Wonders and Horrors of College Life

Chat, socialize and discuss.

Moderator: Admin Aide

AlmightyTallest
Bronze Belt
House: Amaranthine

The Wonders and Horrors of College Life

Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:46 pm

Hey guys! This is my way of attempting socialization with other college students, instead of the onslaught of 12 year olds and old farts that are typically the only ones willing to communicate with me outside of the internet. In other words, I have no friends.

So I figured, a lot of us are in college, and there are certain things that only current college students can understand. The stress of professors who you honestly can't understand how they became professors, those buildings on campus are actually a maze meant to trap you for all time, strange myths/stories that come along with your campus, the super chill professors vs the unreasonably intense professors...Basically, I thought we all needed a place to discuss, vent, request help, and bond over the wonders and horrors of the college life.

So what's your major and what year are you? What class are you taking? Any professors that have really impacted your life so far? Any cool mascots? My college's mascot is a pegasus that shoots lightning from his mouth so I think I got you all beat on cool mascots. Because that's one badass pegasus.
Hey, follow my tumblr account for book reviews, character analysis, and rants! (also so I don't feel so lonely, lol. ShadowSingingSassenach
ichor.
Admin Aide
House: Halcyon Keeper

Re: The Wonders and Horrors of College Life

Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:17 am

Ahhh so I'm an English major but I'm doing prereqs for medical school. I may end up changing my major though, but likely won't. I'm in my second year of college! I currently go to a community college - because doing my basics through that was a major money saver - and will be transferring to my four year university this upcoming Fall of 2018! Needless to say, I'm super nervous - especially about getting lost on campus >_<
The university I am transferring to has a cougar for their mascots. Fun fact, my high school's mascot was also a cougar....so I've pretty much always been a cougar lmao. My community college's mascot is a pioneer...I think???

──────────────────────
┏━━━━━━━━━━━━──━┓
site archivist/afflatus creator
message for questions or just to chat
slowly returning to rping trying to catch up
discord: anika#6882
my fave color is purple. i like cats & naps

┗━━━━━━━━━━━━──━┛
──────────────────────
xImagex
──────────────────────

──────────────────────
xImagex
──────────────────────
┏━━━━━━━━━━━━──━┓
insta storage plots search
coding writing temp art
charries

┗━━━━━━━━━━━━──━┛
ImageImage
──────────────────────

lilJoy
Purple Belt

Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:41 am

I'm currently in my first year of college and I'm a comsci major. I definitely feel for the people who don't understand what they're doing in this major because it sure as hell isn't easy rofl. My mascot is a bull and we're an D1 basketball team. I'm in the pep bad for said team, and I hope to skip all televised games o3o Btw, I just googled d1 teams, and there's only 2 with bulls for a mascot. kms I probably just gave away what school I go to rofl.
AlmightyTallest
Bronze Belt

Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:47 pm

Lol, I'm pretty sure there aren't many colleges with a lightning-shooting pegasus as their mascot!
Honestly, the most annoying thing I think about living on college is roommates. All of my roommates so far (only 2) like the room really warm. They keep it on 75 or higher. I like the room kind of cool, so I can use my blankets. I get very hot very quickly at night. There is no reason, when it's 76 degrees outside, to have the heat on to 76. My first roommate turned the heat up to 80 once. It's like this passive-aggressive war to get the thermostat to stay on 74, which is still too hot but better than 75. But it blows air right onto my bed, and I HATE warm air being blown on me.
Hey, follow my tumblr account for book reviews, character analysis, and rants! (also so I don't feel so lonely, lol. ShadowSingingSassenach
lilJoy
Purple Belt

Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:32 pm

i like my room to be between 68 and 73 depending on how i'm feeling. it's winter where i am so like i need to turn it up when i get inside sometimes because of hypothermia setting in. i get it really easily and i've been that way ever since i was little ;-; usually both me and my roommate agree that our room gets too warm and we need to open the window lol. i would probably die if it was that warm in my room. i usually like it around 69 when i'm not trying to raise my body temperature a degree or two lol.
thunderofthebun
Admin
House: Halcyon

Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:32 pm

I'm not currently in college but wanted to pop in - thermostat wars are SO REAL!

I'm like an awkward little snake that likes it warm - during the summer 78-79 is good to me, sometimes 80 even. I just tolerate it better than some people and I get cold really easily. I have a friend that I will NOT live with again because she was incredibly passive aggressive. We lived together for two years during college and it was often an issue because she liked it like 72. But part of the issue was communication and maturity. Most recently I had a pair of roommates and while one was flexible and leaned towards warmish and frugal like me, her boyfriend would get really hot at night. I'm just glad we were able to communicate better! But we were also much older and with more life experience. We agreed that if someone was genuinely uncomfortable, just change it by 1 degree because often that turned out to be enough. We also agreed to have it a smidge cooler at night so he could sleep better and I'd use an extra blanket (I hate being cold but I do understand that it feels crappy to be sweaty at night!).

Hope you guys are able to reach some compromises!

One thing that I still struggle with regarding roommates is standards for cleanliness in the home. Hopefully that is still fairly on-subject! I think college is such a crazy time because it's your first time being more responsible for yourself (for many at least) and also living with friends and peers. You learn so much about yourself and so much about other people! I found that one friend does NOT clean apparently, for example. It can be so stressful, trying to bridge the gap.
Happy May!

- Finalize the AS survey results
- Finalize Archivist roles and permissions
- Finish getting Smamm set up with sorting ✔
- Create the 100 DoS prompt list ✔
- Update the anon box thread
- Finish PM responses
- Discuss the workshop idea
- Update the afflatus coding
- Prep afflatus images
- Update the team page
Also: discuss themes status

Happy Birthday to all of the June blueberries!
AlmightyTallest
Bronze Belt

Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:31 am

I relate to your friends boyfriend then, lol :lol: I get so hot. Every girl I know is almost always cold, their hands are always cold and everything, and yet I'm practically a living heater. I like to be able to use my blankets at night, but when the coolest I can go without my roommate turning it way up is 75, so I barely get to use my blankets. :/ Instead, I try to stretch out and wear shorts and a T-shirt, just to try to keep from getting too hot. It's horrible. I'm getting a private room from now on for that very reason!

And lol, guilty as charged. But granted, My side of the room is much smaller. I'm by the door, so I get like....4ft by 6ft space to live in, not including the twin size bed. So keeping everything organized and neat is a little difficult.
lilJoy
Purple Belt

Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:38 am

I'm a legit icicle but I like blankets so I prefer my room cooler. I'm an odd one.

And the dorms at my school are so small. We probably get about 5ft by 9ft excluding the closet and hallway to live in for 2 people. This includes the XL twin bed ;-; There isn't nearly enough space for all my food and cooking utensils! And then I have to pack bedroom and beauty supplies on top of that and school stuff! And the dorms I got stuck in don't even have as many shelves as the other dorms and that would help out a lot more in terms of storage ;-; Like I have no problem with keeping organized, I just have a problem with the amount of my stuff that is literally sitting on the floor because there's no where else to put it.
thunderofthebun
Admin
House: Halcyon

Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:43 am

I need to find pics of my dorm! Opposite the door was the wall with our dressers and desks (both built in) with windows above. On either side of the room was a twin bed and tiny closet space with a cubby above. We didnt have any control over the AC. I lifted my bed a few inches to fit deep containers underneath and used a plastic rolly drawer thing as a side table. Fridge, tv, phone, and coffee maker went on top of the dressers.

Shadow - for a moment there I wanted to suggest sleep naked but then you mentioned sharing a room! How awkward. XD I do agree that sleeping hot can be miserable though; I have certainly experienced it even though what I consider ‘hot’ may be higher than for you.

Finding a good blanket is also really good - sometimes a comforter is just too warm so a full sized, thinnish but not paper thin blanket can be worth its weight in gold. I have a Blizzard blanket with a fuzzy underside on top than I can flip back. I believe I used a blanket from IKEA in my dorm.

What are y’all’s take on community bathrooms? I never had any problem with it but then ours were well lit and the showers were big stalls with normal stall doors. Though I never had issues with curtain showers in my friends’ dorm, just that theirs had tiny shower stalls and was poorly lit.
Happy May!

- Finalize the AS survey results
- Finalize Archivist roles and permissions
- Finish getting Smamm set up with sorting ✔
- Create the 100 DoS prompt list ✔
- Update the anon box thread
- Finish PM responses
- Discuss the workshop idea
- Update the afflatus coding
- Prep afflatus images
- Update the team page
Also: discuss themes status

Happy Birthday to all of the June blueberries!
lilJoy
Purple Belt

Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:43 pm

the community bathrooms are complete shit at my school. I am lucky that they have bathrooms in the dorm (two rooms share them so at max 6 people per toilet, there's 4 people including me sharing mine), so it's a lot better for someone with GI issues like me. It's the toilets that are shittier than the showers. The showers have 2 curtains protecting the individual from peeping, but the stalls are like public ones with huge gaps between the doors and wall. I also feel like people are just grimy at my school and don't like to take care of public spaces in a lot of instances, so I find that attaching bathrooms to 2-3 dorms is better than having a communal bathroom for an entire floor.