The Wonders and Horrors of College Life

Chat, socialize and discuss.
thunderofthebun
Administrator
House: Halcyon

Re: The Wonders and Horrors of College Life

Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:37 am

Oh gaps are no good!! We didn’t have noticeable gaps luckily. The freshman dorms pretty much all had community bathrooms. My building had 2 per floor, each with maybe 4 toilets and 4 showers. The hall was maybe 10 rooms on each side? The sophomore dorms were suite style with an attached bathroom.

Our ratio was better than some though; our dorm was built in the 70s I think and was the newest at the time. Since I’ve left they tore down a dorm or two and apparently made a big new one or two as well! I’d be curious to go look around in there..

Actually one friend did have crappy bathrooms. The floors were still divided (one boy floor, one girl floor) but it seemed like anyone used any bathroom and yeah, old and not well kept and such.
ATTENTION:

Please go take the survey about the Afflatus so that we can better design it for 2019 - even if you don't typically read it! Tell us what would get you to start.

Also make sure you are ALWAYS up to date on announcements!
caim
Yellow Belt
House: Halcyon

Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:25 am

• Wow, okay. So, there is way too much I could add onto this thread.

I'm going into my Sophomore year as a Psychology major at SUNY Binghamton this upcoming fall. To be honest, I am so glad my Freshman year of college is gone and behind me considering the number of events that took place. Let me list out a few, some good and some bad.
    - Went to my first Frat Party and got so drunk I thought that the parking lot was drowning and started to cry over it.
    - My roommate moved out halfway through the first semester because he had severe psychological issues and posed a threat to my physical safety.
    - I had my dorm room all to myself for a semester and a half despite everything else- which was great for intimate times with my boyfriend.
    - A stabbing occurred on my floor and the boy I knew ended up dying.
    - I got into a spit with someone because he was harassing my friend.
    - I got to witness my boyfriend drunk at his first house party and was the sober dad of the group.
    - I scored the highest exam score on the last Psych test of the year out of all the Psych courses.
    - I impressed my English professor with my personal essay and he advised I get it published someplace eventually.

That aside, I did have some really good experiences as you can see. I also made a good group of friends who I am looking forward to spending more time with this upcoming fall. The best part is that I'll be living off campus in an amazing apartment with my boyfriend and a group of friends we both know. I'm also taking courses that I actually like, one being Medical Anthropology and the others being either Psych based or Gen Ed with International History.

I heard talk about bathrooms though. I get my own bathroom with a tub at my apartment and I'm so friggin' excited to take baths again.
✧ | fiance | baby bro | the dm | fire breather | ✧
lilJoy
Blue Belt
House: Amaranthine

Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:50 pm

• ayyyeee a fellow SUNY student!! (i go to UB) i feel like all SUNY schools have issues with violence and shit just because we're a public school system?? this includes UB there was a potential raping incident that went out over our alert system around the fourth T-T
Ellabear
Green Belt
House: Sagacitas

Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:57 pm

So I took a year off of college due to some health issues. I was in the middle of working on my bachelors degree, and only have a year to complete it. Unfortunately I absolutely hate the college, and the medical care that I need isn't out where that specific college is located. I kind of gave up on that dream of mine, which kind of sucks..... but I ended up finding a different school that is closer to friends/ family, my doctors etc.
So I have an associates in Psychology, I was working on my Bachelors in Psychology. And currently I am working on my degree to be a vet tech.

The past two years I have worked at a vet clinic as a vet assistant and I absolutely love it. So I felt it was a good idea to get a degree for something I love. So I am in my first semester of my Vet Tech Degree and I am very excited. It has been a long time since I have been in college, so it is a bit scary.

My previous mascot was a greyhound and my current mascot is a "Sun Cat" lol

This semester I have a chemistry professor who I can hardly understand and it is killing me. I am really going to struggle understanding what he is saying. So any Chem advice is appreciated lol
𝓞𝓱𝓪𝓷𝓪 𝓜𝓮𝓪𝓷𝓼 𝓕𝓪𝓶𝓲𝓵𝔂
𝓪𝓷𝓭 𝓯𝓪𝓶𝓲𝓵𝔂 𝓶𝓮𝓪𝓷𝓼
𝓷𝓸𝓫𝓸𝓭𝔂 𝓰𝓮𝓽𝓼 𝓵𝓮𝓯𝓽 𝓫𝓮𝓱𝓲𝓷𝓭 𝓸𝓻
𝓯𝓸𝓻𝓰𝓸𝓽𝓽𝓮𝓷
AlmightyTallest
Black Belt
House: Amaranthine

Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:02 pm

I can't help with chem, I dont have to take that for my degree! But my bio teacher was from China, I believe, so I understand the struggle with the accent! Thankfully it's a super beginner bio class (a general education requirement) and she put the powerpoints online. The book was helpful too, but I didn't realize that until later in the semester.

This semester I have a professor from Africa. That's an interesting accent. He's teaching International Relations, which is one of my minors. So far I haven't had too much difficultly translating it, but it's definitely difficult at times!

And I have a professor from Australia, but she's easy to understand. She doesnt have much of an accent left. That class is Earth Science, another general education requirement that I don't want to take and that won't really help me at all in the long run.
Hey, follow my tumblr account for book reviews, character analysis, and rants! (also so I don't feel so lonely, lol. ShadowSingingSassenach

Hey guys! So, I will be studying abroad this Spring semester, and will be spending about 4 months. I will still be online and replying, but my replies might come at straneg times!