AS Events Discussion -- Current Event: In-house Art Competition (Inktober)

Here is where discussions will occur regarding layouts, events, surveys, and other site activities and changes. Please keep any criticism appropriate and constructive. We look forward to hearing your ideas and feedback!

Moderator: Admin Aide

Will you be participating in the In-house Art Competition (Inktober)?

Poll runs till Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:08 pm

Yes.
9%
I plan to.
13%
No.
30%
I can't art :/
48%

Total votes: 23
Syzygy
Black Belt
House: Sagacitas

Re: AS Events Triwizard Tournament -- Current Event: Poetry Event

Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:20 pm

Fair points.

Simply, I see it this way: I've been a member of the site for a few years now, I've followed the rules, I've done everything that's ever been asked of me. I enjoy this place and I enjoy writing. If I'm doing what I am supposed to and I want to be able to write without some stupid prank interfering, there should be an option for that. Granted, I'm sure I don't know how it works, but if someone has the time to figure out some algorithm to transfer words into different words and pull this huge prank, surely there's a possibility to set up an option to disable it if an individual user wishes to go without it.

yeah, it's only one day. Yeah, maybe it's possible to still write if you take more time to read a reply and figure out what was meant. I don't doubt that, but why do that when... I don't know, I could see the actual reply as it is?

If I don't like the prank and I have an option to disable it, I'm happy. If billy bob likes the prank and wants to keep it on, he can keep it enabled. He's happy. People get their rocks off with the prank that enjoy it, and those that are just here to write without translating half a reply get to avoid it. Fair.
Gamora
Black Belt
House: Halcyon

Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:35 pm

• I added a poll because not many people will come out and say they don't like something on the site publicly, unfortunately. Maybe when the anon box is up and running you'll get some responses. I've talked to a few other people who are frustrated by the changing of the words again this year, so it's not just the three of us, we're just more open to talking about it. It's hard to bring things up when you get responses that are essentially saying "you're opinion is wrong".

And it's one thing to be funny and change up formatting, avatars, and signatures, but this is a writing site and people are here to write. Not to be frustrated or annoyed. I will be commenting on it no further and logging off for the day to avoid arguing and further frustration.
    • ── IT'S JUST SOME]XXX
      XXXXUNSPOKEN THING

┌────────────────────┐
      i'm just your average marvel nerd & starmora
      enthusiast. only here for roleplays & character
      development. please don't pm me at this time.
      julienuhhh100 days of summerstorage

└────────────────────┘

ichor.
Admin Aide
House: Halcyon Keeper

Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:58 pm

I don’t think any staff member is trying to say that we think your opinion is wrong. In fact, we are always stressing that your opinions matter to us - hence the feedback option in the Afflatus, and various other places that allow for feedback to be shared. However, there is a way to do so without it completely bashing something that was worked on enthusiastically or mistakenly looked over.

We are taking these suggestions into consideration for next year and have noted them down. We’ll look into a way to allow members to disable the word censor but that may not be plausible. Not everything thought of can be done. Coding is complicated and takes time to figure out so that other things don’t break.

Just like you, we are stating our opinion and viewpoint about the event. We don’t mean for it to be taken as us saying “your opinion is wrong” because that is most certainly not the case.

I’m typically quiet and usually just observe these things. I understand where all of you are coming from and can assure we’ll take all this into consideration for next year.

We’re sorry for the frustration and inconvenience this has caused.
Pirate-At-Heart
Bronze Belt

Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:30 pm

• i don’t like the prank and it makes me not want to write replies. word substitutions should not be used on a mature writing website as a j-oke, unless you can filter it to just the chat forums or turn it off, which i know is near impossible with the complex coding. i should not have to do the extra work of decoding a post to reply to it. and i don’t think it’s fair to call people out for bashing it because it’s not intended as disrespect to not like something someone put work into, it’s just a fact and opinion that i don’t like it or find it funny. yes it’s only for a day, but there are many people who only have one day a week to use r-oleplaying as an escape, and to log on and find everything so scrambled is disheartening to them and makes them not want to write on the one day they can. so now they have to wait until next monday to post and it probably really put a damper on their day. even for people who post every day it’s annoying to have to now wait a full day to post for everything to go back to normal.
greetings! i am pirate, a twenty-three year
old gal from ope-town, midwest usa, who
loves cats, d&d, and writing a shit ton of
fantasy. my pms are always open
for a friendly chat!
• • •
muse: super selective
• • •
d&d rp (always accepting)
• • •
bestest friend in the whole worldmy beloved asshole
my twinthe pure onemother of beaudonut queen
my sonmaya-chana human magpie
blue
Roleplay Moderator
House: Vipera Keeper

Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:11 pm

• ok i just finished creating a translation guide and hope it'll help out. i truly understand how bothersome it can be to have translated words on a writing site, i've also hit some annoying snags in just trying to get my point across but please please trust your concerns are being heard and understood. we are in no way attempting to brush off your valuable input. there are definite tweaks that can and will be made for a.pril f.ools events in the future but understand also that the s.taff is only trying to do things that we think people will enjoy and it hurts to see insinuations that we don't care being made.

let me know if there's anything that needs to be changed on the translation guide
Hidden text.
rp moderator | salt sister | vipera keeper | vipera prompt thread | search: closed
i'm available via PM and on discord blue#9135
Syzygy
Black Belt

Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:30 pm

Professor Blue wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:11 pm
  • ok i just finished creating a translation guide and hope it'll help out. i truly understand how bothersome it can be to have translated words on a writing site, i've also hit some annoying snags in just trying to get my point across but please please trust your concerns are being heard and understood. we are in no way attempting to brush off your valuable input. there are definite tweaks that can and will be made for a.pril f.ools events in the future but understand also that the s.taff is only trying to do things that we think people will enjoy and it hurts to see insinuations that we don't care being made.

let me know if there's anything that needs to be changed on the translation guide
Hidden text.
Thank you for this. I was one of the first to bitch about the prank so I'll try to be one of the first that thanks you for this guide. I appreciate it. I'm still willing to die on my hill of the prank being an awful idea without the option of disabling the feature, but I appreciate the compromise nonetheless. Thank you.
Jazzyleia
Silver Belt
House: Vipera

Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:11 pm

I just, I don’t want to seem like a bad person, but a April Fools joke shouldn’t be forced. I am on other sites, and there isn’t a single one that has implemented a joke that basically disrupts the flow of the games. For this place, this is a writing site. Now I can write in another doc and post it, but then my partner has to look up the guide of word changes, attempt to re-read with everything not messed up, and then get upset because it takes away from the purpose of this site.

Let’s try something different next year. Having the same “joke” year after year is honeslty pretty damn boring.

Edit: oh for fuck’s sake, have fun trying to understand what I wrote
xxxx
Imagex News: ......
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx Roleplays:
Fandom [][∞] Deer [][∞]
Snow [] Gamora [X]
Avenoir [] Jerome []
Errickon [] Momo []
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Deer
Overseer
House: Halcyon

Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:23 pm

Re: Earlier posts.
Sorry if my post came of as rude. I didn't intend it to be rude in any way. So my sincere apologies for that. I was being told that it would be better if I voiced my concerns on site, so I did. Like Pirate said, my time to write is limited and I use it as an escapism. To have this... complicate... my writing isn't helping me relax at all while I just wanted to write.

Blue, thank you for the word list and willingness to compromise.

ichor. wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:58 pm
We are taking these suggestions into consideration for next year and have noted them down. We’ll look into a way to allow members to disable the word censor but that may not be plausible. Not everything thought of can be done. Coding is complicated and takes time to figure out so that other things don’t break.
Actually, it is quite easy for staff to turn it off. I took the liberty to do some searching.

@Administrator: ACP -> General -> Post Settings -> Allow disabling of word censoring: -> yes

once that is done
@User: UCP -> Board Settings -> Edit display options -> Enable Word Censoring -> no
(this can't be done now due to board settings)
Please give me your input on layouts!

Hi, I am Deer! I am an overseer on AS. Feel free to reach out to
me if you are experiencing any issues on the board. I love coding
and spend a fair share of my life doing it. Other than that, I am a
big fan of Arrowverse, and always open to chat about anything of it!

==================================================
BooSisPotato PoGo Shinies
==================================================
All this time I was finding myself, I didn't know I was lost

Imagex

Jazzy: EA [x] FtC [x] GaL [x] HL [x] SF [] SH [] TBN [x] || pirate [x] || maya [x] || kami [] || vintage [x] || harvey [x]
blue
Roleplay Moderator
House: Vipera Keeper

Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:44 pm

it’s good it’s possible to have the individual choice of turning the censors off. however, the s.taff that would be able to change that setting aren’t around atm so this is likely something that would be applied for future a.pril f.ools j.okes as AS is going to revert back to its original state in a few hours anyway. in the meantime, i hope the guide i created helps as much as possible!
rp moderator | salt sister | vipera keeper | vipera prompt thread | search: closed
i'm available via PM and on discord blue#9135
Jazzyleia
Silver Belt
House: Vipera

Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:07 pm

Oh a different note, are we going to be getting the monthly social media challenge back or what? cause we haven't heard anything about it since it wasn't given to us last month
xxxx
Imagex News: ......
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx Roleplays:
Fandom [][∞] Deer [][∞]
Snow [] Gamora [X]
Avenoir [] Jerome []
Errickon [] Momo []
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx