AS Events Discussion -- Current Event: NaNoWriMo

Here is where discussions will occur regarding layouts, events, surveys, and other site activities and changes. Please keep any criticism appropriate and constructive. We look forward to hearing your ideas and feedback!

Moderator: Admin Aide

Are you participating in NaNoWriMo?

Poll ended at Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:43 pm

Yes!
35%
I'm going to try!
18%
I don't want to
12%
I don't have time
6%
I don't know what to write about
29%

Total votes: 17
thunderofthedrum
Admin
House: Halcyon

Re: AS Events Discussion -- Current Event: 100 Days of Summer

Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:15 pm

You all have me to blame for the challenge. I thought of it while I was at work avoiding work.

It’s one I’m interested in writing, honestly. I’m hoping to have a weekend before the end of the event to crank out a few posts for once. It’s been so much fun to set up the prompts and I had some great help as well!

It is SO awesome to hear the prompts have been enjoyed this year!! Comments like that really make me feel good about the work we do.
Happy November!

- Finalize the AS survey results ✔
- Update the anon box thread - in progress
- Discuss the workshop idea
- Post AS survey results ✔
- Post NaNoWriMo event ✔
- Prep the December event

holiday party • giant ESA project • wrap gifts • Christmas

Happy Birthday to all of the December blueberries!
Gamora
Black Belt

Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:58 pm

• New poll up!
    • ── IT'S JUST SOME]XXX
      XXXXUNSPOKEN THING

┌────────────────────┐
      i'm just your average marvel nerd & starmora
      enthusiast. replies will be slow for the next
      month or so, but i'm still around, I promise.
      julienuhhhroomienerdstorage

└────────────────────┘

thunderofthedrum
Admin

Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:32 pm

Awesome! It’s neat to see what people thought about each theme and the prompts within it. Doing mini themes was a new compromise and personally I’ve really enjoyed mini themes but for each theme individually, it’s helpful to get feedback on what may be too broad, repetitive, or too limiting. I already go into this knowing not every prompt or every theme is going to please everyone, but trends in polls are super helpful!
Happy November!

- Post NaNoWriMo event ✔

Gamora
Black Belt

Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:00 pm

thunderofthebun wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:32 pm
Awesome! It’s neat to see what people thought about each theme and the prompts within it. Doing mini themes was a new compromise and personally I’ve really enjoyed mini themes but for each theme individually, it’s helpful to get feedback on what may be too broad, repetitive, or too limiting. I already go into this knowing not every prompt or every theme is going to please everyone, but trends in polls are super helpful!
    • Maybe I'll do a poll on what people think of the short themes? And the challenge days? Unless you're going to do one when its all over c:
    • ── IT'S JUST SOME]XXX
      XXXXUNSPOKEN THING

┌────────────────────┐

└────────────────────┘

thunderofthedrum
Admin

Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:25 pm

I'm not 100% sure yet if we'll do a poll. Generally yes, I would definitely like to! But we have not specifically made plans to yet. You are welcome to continue as you have for individual themes, and then maybe staff can do a poll or two about the overall system we did this year and an official DoS discussion thread to get an idea for next year?
Happy November!

- Post NaNoWriMo event ✔

Gamora
Black Belt

Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:47 pm

thunderofthebun wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:25 pm
I'm not 100% sure yet if we'll do a poll. Generally yes, I would definitely like to! But we have not specifically made plans to yet. You are welcome to continue as you have for individual themes, and then maybe staff can do a poll or two about the overall system we did this year and an official DoS discussion thread to get an idea for next year?
    • I would like that for sure. It's probably a good idea to receive feedback from users.
      I do have to say that this year is the best system we've had for 100 Days of Summer, in my opinion!
    • ── IT'S JUST SOME]XXX
      XXXXUNSPOKEN THING

┌────────────────────┐

└────────────────────┘

Deer
Overseer

Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:41 pm

So, this morning I saw a new post here. I read it but had no time to reply yet, but now it seems to have been deleted.

I am going to say what I wanted to say anyways, despite the fact that the topic put up for discussion has been removed. Just in case people were waiting for a reply/advice other than the poster.

So, as for the challenge, I think you can write it in the broadest way possible. If you want to write it from the perspective of a book or letter, it should be fine. If you want to have someone tell a story, that should be fine too as long as majority of the writing is in second person (staff please correct me if I am wrong). So please do not feel afraid to use your creativity for the challenges. That's why they are challenges.
Life is pretty busy! Please give me some time to get back to you. I promise I will reply asap.

Hi, I am Deer! I am an overseer on AS. Feel free to reach out to
me if you are experiencing any issues on the board. I love coding
and spend a fair share of my life doing it. Other than that, I am a
big fan of Arrowverse, and always open to chat about anything of it!
PM me if you need/want my discord

==================================================
BooSisPotato PoGo Shinydex
==================================================
All this time I was finding myself, I didn't know I was lost

Imagex

Jazzy: EA [x] FtC [x] GaL [x] HL [x] SF [x] SH [x] TBN [x] || pirate [x] || maya [x] || kami [x] || vintage [x] || harvey [x]
Kami
Roleplay Moderator
House: Sagacitas Keeper

Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:49 pm

Deer wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:41 pm
So, as for the challenge, I think you can write it in the broadest way possible. If you want to write it from the perspective of a book or letter, it should be fine. If you want to have someone tell a story, that should be fine too as long as majority of the writing is in second person (staff please correct me if I am wrong). So please do not feel afraid to use your creativity for the challenges. That's why they are challenges.
I'm going to jump in with some of my own input!! cx

While I personally believe that the whole prompt should be written in 2nd person for this to count as a successful challenge, I doubt that using your method of completing it is worse/better. There hasn't really been a lot of discussion in regards to this particular question, but I'd assume that the same rule applies to this challenge as to the one where people had to write their prompts in 1st person or from the POV of an inanimate object; you write the whole prompt like so.

I don't see anything wrong with writing from the perspective of a book or letter; as long as the perspective matches and the person used is 2nd, there's little that can go wrong. My own advice would be that if you are having a tough time finding out what to write, I know that I tend to lurk around the threads of other people for a bit of inspiration; nothing bad with seeing how others took to the challenge and getting ideas for your own prompts. Asking for advice works, too!

I've been loving the tougher challenges so far. They're intriguing and hard enough for me not to word-vomit and think a little before writing prompts, so that is a very nice change. I have to admit that the challenges of writing from the POV of an inanimate object and the 2nd person have been my favourite so far. :)
Gamora
Black Belt

Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:00 pm

• I deleted my question because I didn't need an answer anymore.

A friend confirmed for me that a letter to someone is in fact, second person, as per the definition of it, which is "point of view is used to address the audience". Therefore if there's a letter written, it is addressing the audience, which is the receiver.

I'm sure staff won't be too picky on this as prompts are for creativity and everyone can have a different take on each prompt.
    • ── IT'S JUST SOME]XXX
      XXXXUNSPOKEN THING

┌────────────────────┐

└────────────────────┘

thunderofthedrum
Admin

Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:35 pm

Glad you were able to work that out and in a way that suits you!

It's been a lot of fun to put the prompts together this year and personally I really like the compromise of doing a few themes and keeping the majority theme-free in an attempt to please as many people as possible per the poll we had up before.

Overall, there are 4 themes of 10 prompts each, while the other 60 prompts are more varied and random.
Happy November!

- Post NaNoWriMo event ✔