AS Afflatus: Issue Ten

Where you can find all published issues of the Advanced Scribes Afflatus, our very own newsletter!
ironic
Black Belt
House: Sagacitas

` as afflatus: prompt

Post by ironic » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:59 am

" THEY WANNA SEE ME DEAD, BUT I'M LOOKING LIKE A GOD "
dante and spencer are hades and persephone. nothing will convince me otherwise
characters: spencer quinn casey, dante silva---|---wc: 1349 words
warnings: spencer and dante. violence, language, and a distinct lack of morals
  • It was no surprise to anyone that Dante Silva had acquired a great many enemies in his time spent as a business man. Though not to say that he was horrid company, for he was by all means charismatic and captivating, many people found it rather difficult to either work under or with him. He was a rather intense figure, to put lightly, intimidating and slightly distressing even at the best of times. Fierce in meetings, demanding of all employees and partners, he gave competitors a run for their money and Spencer quite the sense of job security. A cunning figure with a wolfish grin, he acquired assets like Ancient Romans conquered cities, overtaking companies with a swift ruthlessness that often left former business heads blindsided. By the time most came to their senses and tried to reclaim their stripped status, it was far too late, and Dante had seized unchallenged control over their company, it being just another addition to his growing empire.
    Needless to say, Dante’s conquest had left quite a few characters disgruntled and dissatisfied. More often than not, these ‘enemies’ were foolish old men who believed themselves to be invincible and above what Dante had sunk them to. They complained, quite loudly, phoning Dante even in the odd early hours of the morning to threaten him and gripe about their lost profession, their loss of respect within the community. Yet, most threats were hollow and half-formed at best, from men fallen from grace with the ill-conceived notion that they deserved better than what Dante gave them. They had little influence in the world, little they could rely upon, and as such their names never appeared at the top of Spencer’s ever-growing list of situations to ‘handle.’
    Truth be told, there was no tangible list of people that Dante had put a hit on. Instead of approaching the situation with dogged enthusiasm for violence and bloodshed, Spencer worked casually and methodically, picking people off at her convenience. Jilted ex-business executives were never top priority. That honor actually went to the souls foolish enough to send lettered threats to Dante’s office, the majority cryptically alluding to Dante’s supposed weaknesses and brazenly assuring him that his business would crumble. Truthfully, it wasn’t as if Spencer believed they held much weight to a man who was, firstly, immortal, and, secondly, as well connected as Dante. He was a wise man, a dangerous one, and entirely capable of settling his own disputes without Spencer getting involved. He was a powerful man who truly didn’t need a hit woman taking care of his affairs for him. Spencer did regardless – and those who dared send Dante physical threats, were the ones she sought out, chiefly on the basis of her own annoyance and muted fury. To put plainly, she didn’t like when people threatened Dante, and inaction had never been an option with her fiery temperament.

Spencer had never been a particularly demure character. Though pretty, she’d never managed to be dreamy or doe eyed like her mother had wished for her to be. She wasn’t sweet; she was smart, and surprisingly vicious. Argumentative and stubborn, growing up she’d been a hell raiser of a child, picking fights against children and adults alike, and winning them with grim pedantry. Her impulses barely checked in the majority of her youth by none other than Evelyn Casey, who was entirely bent on molding her daughter into the ideal debutante and socialite. Alas, there hadn’t been a way to keep the reigns on her forever, for underneath it all, Spencer lusted for power. It didn’t take long after law school for her to force her way out from under her mother’s thumb, scorn her family name, and pursue her greater ambitions in life. Said ambitions included becoming one of the best defense attorneys on the west coast, even if that had meant taking up crime as a means to an end in ensuring her case’s success. Unsurprisingly, Spencer took to crime like a duck to water.
    It only seemed natural that she progressed further into the underworld upon her untimely death. She had always been an overachiever, and her newfound immortality had not managed to shift her disposition that drastically. Thus, instead of becoming the lawyer she’d dreamt of being from the moment she was told lawyers argued for a living, she became a myth of great power in the criminal underworld. This status led to her meeting her match in one Dante Silva.
    In truth, Dante was everything Spencer wanted in a person: powerful, devilishly clever, and with a level of ambition that matched her own. The attraction had come naturally. Yet, Spencer had never thought that she’d come to defend Dante with passion rooted in rage against those who dared to cross him. Nevertheless, it was where she found herself as she riffled through letters whilst sat on a mahogany desk, manicured nails flicking through page after page, gaze cold and penetrating, sharp with disdain.
    “Oh look, this is my favorite one,” she crooned, voice deceptively soft. Clearing her throat and furrowing her brows, she gave her best impression of a man’s low rumbling voice. “You’re a dead man.” She snickered cruelly, a smile curling at the edges of her painted lips. “You realize you used the wrong form of ‘you’re’? Truly, if you expect a threat to be taken seriously, you must use proper grammar. It’s not even that difficult – or perhaps it is for a man of your…unfortunate caliber.”
    A bloodied gurgle of protest sounded from the man sat in the chair before the desk.
    “You’re right, I shouldn’t be so presumptious as to assume that you would know the simple difference between ‘your’ and ‘you’re.’ Let me enlighten you.”
    At that, Spencer hopped off the desk, landing muffled by the carpeted floor. With a wicked grin she twisted the letter opener in the man’s wound. “If I were you say: ‘you’re in pain,’ it would be you, apostrophe r-e. However, if I were to say: ‘your time is up,’ it would be possessive your, y-o-u-r.” The letter opener dug deeper into the man’s chest. “Does that make sense?”
    A distorted cry of pain.
    “I’ll take that as a yes.”

The scene had been cleaned up by the time Spencer arrived back home. The body disposed of and every trace of evidence that linked her or Dante to the crime meticulously wiped from existence. While dinner time had long since come and gone, it didn’t surprise Spencer to see food neatly wrapped on the kitchen counter and a glass of wine sitting out for her. She made no move to eat, however; instead tucking the food into the fridge and picking up the wine before moving into the bedroom. She was even less surprised to see Dante lounging languidly on the bed, casually reading a book, only looking up when the mattress sunk beside him with Spencer’s weight.
    “Good evening, beautiful. You missed dinner tonight.”
    “For a good cause, I promise.” She set the wine glass down on the table and gave Dante a chaste kiss before rising to her feet, stripping as she walked towards the bathroom. “Though I am sorry to say you won’t be getting any more grammatically incorrect threats in the mail.” The shower turned on and consumed the air of silence lingering in the room. Spencer didn’t catch the responding small smile.

It was a quiet evening. Neither of them had spoken after Spencer had finished showered and climbed into bed, picking up her book as she slid in under the covers. The room was captured in a comfortable silence up until the moment Spencer closed her book, having finished the latest chapter. It was then that Dante decided to speak.
    “They want to see me dead,” he started sinking into the bed, fingers curling in golden locks. “But I’m looking like a god.”
    “Oh? And how so?”
    “Well, I have you as my queen, don’t I?”
    “God of the Underworld, then?” Spencer paused as if considering it; she didn’t need to. “You wear it well.”

Spiritstar3
Bronze Belt
Location: Did the CCG catch me? No, I'm with my precious tiger baby, and Muratas bein a creeper in the corner.
House: Halcyon

Interview with a demon boi- Character Interview #2

Post by Spiritstar3 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:12 am

Aiden
multi use oc

1. How was your character's name chosen by their parents?
Well, he is a demon...it means little fire, or fiery one, literally, so it’s perfect for him. They wanted it a bit different, so it’s pronounced Ai (eye)- den).

2. When your character was a child, what did they dream of becoming as a child?
He’s a demon, so his biggest aspirations was to become one of the strongest. He wanted to be a general, or some such, something as great as that.

3. What is the one place your character would love to visit and with who and why?
He’d love to visit Paris or Rome, with Jeshika, Hikaribana and Hiroki. Hikaribana is his baby girl, Hiroki is a good boy, and Jeshika is his best and childhood friend. Therefore, he’d want them to be with him.

4. Describe an event that made a huge impact on your character and why.
The birth of Hikaribana, and getting to give the brother Hiroki to a half human friend, Jeshika. He got to see the protectiveness of a mother to her newborns, and eight weeks later got to make someone he loved happy.

5. Describe the impact someone had on your character and why.
His father being a general amongst the demons. This was the reason, when he was younger, that he wanted to be strong. He looked up to and admired the male back then...

6. What is your character's favorite actor?
If he really had to choose, Crowley from Supernatural’s actor, or Lucifer’s (i forgot the names...)

7. What are your character's hobbies?
Anything he’s doing with Hikaribana. Visiting with Jeshika and Hiroki. People watching, books, research, meat...well, learning ways to cook and season it.

8. What is the weirdest thing your character has done?
Ah...Probably sneaking into a house, but then, that was when he was a ‘teen’ and had been dared by other demon youngsters to. He had to do it again as a young adult, but left that job quickly when he realized they were even destroying innocent demons...

9. How would strangers describe your character?
A demon...literally. Humans would probably be a little afraid, if seeing his wings, horns, and tail.

10. How would friends describe your character?
Jeshika: She’d tell you he’s the sweetest purebred demon you’d ever meet. He hates to see innocents harmed, and loves animals, especially young ones. Being childhood friends, though younger by a few years, she’s known him almost all his life, so you can trust her. Others would probably describe him about the same.

11. How would your character's significant other describe them?
Doesn’t have one, not really...He and Jeshika might like each other, though, but there’s an angel boy too...They’re not together, though.

12. Does your character believe in any religion? Are they deeply religious?
Uh...he’s a demon. One of his jobs is to sway humans. Don’t know how often he does mess with humans, though, considering Jeshika. Her mom is human, and he adores the motherly woman.

13. Has your character ever broken the law?
Hah...he’s not human, so technically, no.

14. What is your character's thoughts on cheating?
He shouldn’t really care, being a demon, but amongst other things his father did, the man cheated on Aiden’s mother...He hates people like that with a passion. Not so much people cheating in gambling or games, though.

15. What is your character's thoughts on love?
He knows it’s really, through various experiences, despite his father...He’s sure he loves Jeshika, and that beautiful angel boy mentioned above. He also loves Hiroki and Hikaribana, and knows Hikari would give her life for him.

ichor.
Archivist
House: Halcyon

Character Interview: Ivelle Maeve Bianchi

Post by ichor. » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:12 am

ImageImage
Character Interview
x
  • 1. How was your character's name chosen by their parents?

Answer here

2. When your character was a child, what did they dream of becoming as a child?

Answer here

3. What is the one place your character would love to visit and with who and why?

Answer here

4. Describe an event that made a huge impact on your character and why.

Answer here

5. Describe the impact someone had on your character and why.

Answer here

6. What is your character's favorite actor?

Answer here

7. What are your character's hobbies?

Answer here

8. What is the weirdest thing your character has done?

Answer here

9. How would strangers describe your character?

Answer here

10. How would friends describe your character?

Answer here

11. How would your character's significant other describe them?

Answer here

12. Does your character believe in any religion? Are they deeply religious?

Answer here

13. Has your character ever broken the law?

Answer here

14. What is your character's thoughts on cheating?

Answer here

15. What is your character's thoughts on love?

Answer here

Kami
Roleplay Moderator
House: Sagacitas

ᴛʜᴇʏ ᴡᴀɴɴᴀ sᴇᴇ ᴍᴇ ᴅᴇᴀᴅ ʙᴜᴛ ɪ’ᴍ ʟᴏᴏᴋɪɴɢ ʟɪᴋᴇ ᴀ ɢᴏᴅ.

Post by Kami » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:17 pm

CHARACTERS USED: Ray Kavanagh
WARNINGS: adult themes, descriptive gore & violence
xx
His dagger was still embedded in the attacker's chest as the man fell to the ground. A lean silhouette hovered above the fallen one, watching as the man weakly attempted to pull the blade out of his chest. Before it could be done, the unknown figure leaned down to wrap its pale fingers around the hilt of the weapon, pulling it out in a swift motion as the injured warrior kept on gasping for air. It was a miserable sight. A pearly grin was seen in the dim-lit corridor as the mysterious figure raised its head to face the empty hallway. The assassin was a young man in his mid-twenties, but his eyes told a different story; he had gained more experience in this short period of time than most people could brag about. Half of the man's blade was covered in blood, droplets of the crimson liquid falling on the dark maroon carpet under the man's feet. His long jet-black hair was tied into a high ponytail, falling just a few inches below his shoulders. A pair of bluish-green eyes were scanning every nook and cranny visible from his position, not a single emotion reflected in that cold gaze. His skin was very pale, almost like the ivory used to decorate the exquisite halls of the castle. His clothes were black and covered in splatters of blood; some of it had even landed on his face, giving the man a feral, untamed look.

"Give up, assassin," came the order from the small group of people standing in front of him, all of them armed with swords and maces. "It's over. All of your friends died."

"Does it even matter?" The man's voice was laced with sarcasm, a hint of boredom audible in his tone. "Until I am cut down, I will protect the Queen. Now, please leave."

"There are more than eleven men here," the apparent leader of the barbarians chuckled. "You are vastly outnumbered. You are not a God, child. You will die here, too."

"You want to see me dead," came the whisper as the black-haired man pulled out another dagger from the sheath on his left hip. "But here I am, standing like an old God."

It took but a second for one of the brutes to charge forward and raise his weapon above the assassin's head. The man reacted quickly, dodging the upcoming hit and catching his attacker's free hand with his own, breaking it without a single flinch. The sounds of bones snapping and people screaming quickly filled up the dark hallway, eventually changed by the sounds of a person walking on a very wet carpet. The black-haired man stood above the group of mutilated men, his eyes showing no remorse or guilt as he looked at the end of the hallway; there would be more attackers coming soon. He knew that. Sighing quietly and trying to clean off the excess of blood from his pale hands, he approached the door at the end of the hallway. The room on the other side of the room was quiet and the man could barely hear that someone was inside there, hiding.

"My Queen?" He called out, smirking as the familiar pair of footsteps was heard approaching the door. "We should move to a higher floor. This hallway is getting cramped."

The door opened to reveal a young woman in her early twenties, her long brown hair falling down on the suit of armour she was wearing, a sword attached to her left hip and a shield secured to her side. The assassin thought that she looked beautiful, even if they both knew her attire was mostly useless in their current situation. Next, to her, the bloody and heaving man looked like a beast. His smirk widened as the youth surveyed the hallway, her eyes barely reacting to the number of dead bodies surrounding the entrance to her chambers. This was war and it wasn't a shock that there had been so many victims. A quiet smile appeared on her lips; it was as cold as the lean man's.

"Very well," she agreed with a quiet huff, rolling her stiff shoulders as the sounds of a scuffle reached the pair. "Shall we go up to the rooftops? They have a wonderful view."

"Anything for you, My Queen," he purred quietly, kneeling down on one knee and returning his daggers to their sheaths on his hips. "As long as you watch your step."

The brunette laughed quietly, watching her servant as his bluish-green eyes flashed, momentarily lighting up the room for a second. Black smoke began rolling off of his skin and after a few seconds, the man was no more. In his place stood a large black wolf with eyes of the same colour as her loyal guardian. The canine bared its sharp teeth, shaking off the excess smoke off of its fur and crouching down so that the woman could get on it. Once the girl was secured and holding tight onto the wolf's rough fur, the large predator began its climb to the highest point of the castle, ripping into anyone who dared to stand in their way. Many people fell prey to the wolf's teeth and his large claws, causing blood to drip down from the beast's fur. It was a bloody and chaotic journey upstairs, but they had made it without a single dent in the Queen's armour.

Once the Queen had slid off of the wolf, the man turned back into his human form, pulling out his dagger once more as the brunette settled down on the edge of the roof, ready to jump to her death if her guardian was to lose. The smile on her lips was almost sad as she turned around to watch the enemy's forces already pouring onto the rooftop, each and every one of them armed to their death. She looked at the black-haired assassin, sighing; in the light of the setting sun, he looked inhuman. Divine, even.

"You look as if you have descended from the Gods, Ray," the Queen whispered quietly, looking at the burning courtyard below their feet. "It makes me feel less miserable."

"I am a God, My Queen," the assassin replied with a quiet chuckle, preparing to show off his skills once more. "For you, I can become anything, even the Devil himself."