AS Afflatus: Issue Thirteen

Where you can find all published issues of the Advanced Scribes Afflatus, our very own newsletter!
Jazzyleia
Silver Belt
House: Vipera

Character Interview

Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:48 pm

1. Is your character a cat or dog person? Or neither? Why?
"Well technically I'm a cat person. I mean, I had Felix before Serena moved in. How we have George which is the ginger cat, and Pablo which is the yellowish white cat. Then there is Roy our puppy who I got to help after our daughter is born."

2. What do they have a picture of as their phone background?
"Right now it's a picture of me and my wife at our wedding. But I suppose I will change that once our daughter is born. I'm trying to get Serena to indulge me in taking Star Wars pictures, cause she knows how much I love Star Wars."

3. Is there something that they once hated but came to love? What is it?
"I used to hate cooking. I could never cook. If it came in a box with directions and I could throw it in the microwave then I could cook. But Serena's been teaching me and I've taken a little more liking to it. Especially now that I make her food when she isn't feeling good with the morning sickness."

4. What do they do to relax?
"Honestly just about anything. If Serena is around, we usually watch Netflix or we sit outside in our backyard. If she isn't around, then I do have a target range in my basement, but I really only use that when I'm upset or angry."

5. How do they react to someone they care about being hurt or upset?
"I'll kill anyone that dares to harm one of my family. And yes, I mean the entire family. Everyone in the gang ins my family and if you mess with us, expect payback to come back."

6. Are they more of an indoors or outdoors person?
"I'd personally prefer the outdoors, although I haven't actually gone camping yet. Serena keeps promising me to take me out one of these days, but it's getting harder the longer her pregnancy keeps going on."

7. How do they act when they’re lacking sleep? Do they find it easy to get sleep?
"I've run on a lot of sleepless nights. Usually I'm pretty absorbed into work that it doesn't affect me too much. I find it is easier to sleep when Serena is lying in my arms, even if it is a little difficult to cuddle her completely with her rounded stomach."

8. Are they close with their family?
"Considering my blood family is all dead, I'm super close to my adoptive family. The entire gang is my family, then Dan and Brandon, and finally all of Serena's friends."

9. Do they like having their photo taken?
"Kind of comes with the territory. I mean, when you are the wealthiest man with millions to your name, you get your picture taken even when you don't know it."

10. What’s their go-to comfort food?
"Well personally I love these mashed potatoes that I make with lots of cheese and bacon and just...yum. Serena's been making sushi before she got pregnant but now that she is craving apples, I'm making a lot more fruit salad."

11. If they could only pick three things to have with them on a desert island, what would they be?
"Well considering I wouldn't want Serena to be on a deserted island with me, she wouldn't be one of my choices. Do people count as a thing? Cause if so, I'd probably bring Matt. Then I'd bring a pack of water and a compass. Between the two of us, I'm pretty sure we could figure out how to get off."

12. What's their most used emoji? (Or what would it be, if they don't have a phone?)
"I don't use emojis very often when I text. Actually I don't think I use them with anyone except Serena. BUt if I had to pick one, I'd say it's that kissing face one. Cause I love my redhead."

13. Are they good at being on time for things?
"You'll never see me late for anything."

14. If they had the opportunity to change any one thing about themselves, would they?
"I always tell Serena that it doesn't matter where we came from or what we want to change. Both of us are perfect the way we are. Sure our lives weren't always great, neither of us having great childhoods or things growing up, but I wouldn't change anything because if I did, I might have ever met Rena."

15. If they could only pick one, which would it be: money, power, love?
"Well I have more money that I could have ever wanted, I have enough power in the city and money can basically buy you any power you want. Plus I have all the love I can get from Serena and my soon to be daughter. But if I could only choose one of them to live the rest of my life with, I'd choose love."

FC: Liam Hemsworth
xxxx
Imagex News: Deer is amazing!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx Roleplays:
Fandom [][∞] Deer [X][∞]
Momo [X] Phoenix [X]
Snow [X] Ping []
Gamora [X] Luck []
Whizzer [X]
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
phenomenon
Yellow Belt
House: Amaranthine

as afflatus | character interview one

Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:04 am

• issue thirteen. 2018.
      char. interview one
      CHARACTER INTERVIEW
      • james vincent becket. cherry kisses.
        i. is your character a cat or dog person? or neither? why?
        he's definitely more of a dog person. cats seem to hate him for some reason, as he's never gotten along with any of the cats that hang around the barn to eat the field mice. on some occasions, a cat will leave a dead mouse on his doorstep, so that's also a "no, thanks" from him. at least all the dogs on the farm are friendly and like being pet. they're also more work-oriented and love running alongside him while he's on horseback.
        ii. what do they have a picture of as their phone background?
        right now, it's a blurry selfie of himself and alex from a buddy's party. in the photo, both of them are obviously drunk, james being absolutely wasted. he looks like he's shouting something unintelligible with a lot a cursing and has his arm around alex who was laughing too loudly and too much at something otherwise insignificant. he won't be changing that for a while.
        iii. is there something that they once hated but came to love? what is it?
        alex. he didn't outright hate her in the beginning, but they didn't always get along smoothly, so that counts.
        iv. what do they do to relax?
        usually, he prefers to be outside somewhere on the farm--his favorite location is that one grassy hill overlooking the entire property. he's often found there reading or just chilling in general. he also likes to ride and exercise the horses around the farm. if anything, he'll just bury himself in work since he's a workaholic and can't sit still for the life of him.
        v. how do they react to someone they care about being hurt or upset?
        he drops everything to take a moment to see how he can help them. really, he's super sweet and will do whatever he can to make the other person feel better and accepted. he'll wrap them in blankets, prepare meals, have hot cocoa at the ready, do all the chores, and etc. he won't ever complain about it either. he'll become The Mom Friend so fast it's almost scary.
        vi. are they more of an indoors or outdoors person?
        he definitely prefers the great outdoors, considering he lives on a farm. nothing beats the view and the fresh air, in his opinion. it just reminds him of all the good in his life and how grateful he is and should always be for his aunt and uncle for taking him in.
        vii. how do they act when they’re lacking sleep? do they find it easy to get sleep?
        when lacking sleep, he's super irritable--more than usual, that is--and literally chugs coffee like his life depends on it, which is something one should absolutely not do. but he's grumpy and doesn't give a shit, so the caffeine makes him even more irritable. generally, he sleeps just fine, with the usual sleep schedule of going to be bed early near sundown on most days and waking up before the crack of dawn to do chores.
        viii. are they close with their family?
        sort of. he's close with his aunt and uncle, and quite fond of them. his mother and father aren't in the picture anymore, and as far as he's aware, he has no siblings. he knows of a few cousins and such, but he's not really close with any of them. for the most part, he really only sees any other family members besides his aunt and uncle at yearly family gatherings. but even then, not everyone consistently shows up for those.
        ix. do they like having their photo taken?
        he's alright with it, but it depends on who takes it and what he's doing in the middle of it. he'll take selfies of himself and alex, or just candid shots of alex. otherwise, he doesn't really care.
        x. what’s their go-to comfort food?
        cherries. cherry pie. cherry yogurt. cherry in salads, dips, and with any dessert. forget hiding your kids and your wife--hide your cherries because he'll break into your house and raid it... for the cherries. he never leaves the market without at least one box of cherries.
        xi. if they could only pick three things to have with them on a desert island, what would they be?
        alex--he'd go crazy if she wasn't there. a knife, he assumes, and something to contact the outside world or at least hear about it like a satellite phone or something. not that he'd be able to last very long, though, probably. he likes routines, so being away from work would literally drive him crazy and kill him before starvation or dehydration did.
        xii. what's their most used emoji?
        the smirking, side-eyes emoji. he does the annoying thing where he'll just send that one emoji as a response to anything and everything, no matter the conversation. one time, he accidentally did that to his boss at the bar and was scared out of his mind for what the guy might think. turns out, his boss was pretty chill because the guy just sent a winking emoji back. to say the least, james can't look at his boss in the eye anymore. that moment haunts his dreams.
        xiii. are they good at being on time for things?
        in most cases, such as work on the farm or at the bar, yes. if he is late for something, he would have given whoever a head's up or only be about five minutes late. otherwise, somebody better go get a missing persons report.
        xiv. if they had the opportunity to change any one thing about themselves, would they?
        probably. perhaps he would rather have himself not care or worry so much about stuff in general. he's aware that he loses his mind in some situations and needs to take a chill pill. maybe a few chill pills.
        xv. if they could only pick one, which would it be: money, power, love?
        right now, money rules and controls the future of his life. without working two jobs, he may not be able to help pay off the debts for his aunt and uncle's farm or for anything, really. so he constantly worries about that. but he cares for alex greatly and would do anything for her, the same applying to his aunt and uncle. though money and love don't often clash, he's afraid that they will. however, if it came down to one or the other, he would choose love. he only has good intentions.
apathy
Black Belt

↪ character interview; daisuke

Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:45 am

• 1. Is your character a cat or dog person? Or neither? Why?
              definitely a cat person, he doesn't hold a deep rooted dislike of dogs or anything like that but rather he just prefers their company. they're quieter, cleaner animals and he finds them far easier to look after

he's literally the crazy cat lady that your mother warned you about, so of course it's one of his many cats

this is a bit of a difficult question to answer - he doesn't particularly hate many things, more settling on a mild dislike. if that's the case then he's changed his mind on several things; his fear of airplanes being perhaps one of the most notable ones

his methods of relaxing pertain to mostly two things; one would be going out and getting drunk to take his minds off of things, and the other would be perhaps the opposite end of the spectrum- he'll curl up at home with a book, light a few candles and have calm music playing somewhere in the background while ignoring the world for a little while

depending on the situation he'll generally act in two different ways; if someone he cares about is emotionally hurt then he'll gladly offer his shoulder for someone to cry on, be an ear to listen to their problems and attempt to give them the best advice that he can think of- or try to take their mind off of it depending on the seriousness of the situation. if someone's physically hurt then that calm goes out of the window and he becomes easily flustered

it varies depending on his mood and the time of year- for the most part he's an outdoor person, though he'd be lying if he said he didn't enjoy curling up indoors under a blanket in the colder weather

7. How do they act when they’re lacking sleep? Do they find it easy to get sleep?
              when he's lacking sleep daisuke acts pretty much the same as he usually does, just perhaps a little more lethargic and a little more clumsy than usual. as for how easy he finds it to get to sleep it varies depending on the day's events, though for the most part he finds it relatively easy to get to sleep

he's never been particularly close to any family members if he's honest, perhaps the closest he's been to would be his older brother during his younger years, though as an adult he's drifted away from them for the most part. he occasionally crosses paths with his brother, though their personalities clash far too much for them to be able to remain in the same room for very long

the short answer would be that yes, he does. he'll happily pause for a photo regardless of who it's with or where he is, the only time he doesn't enjoy having a photo taken would be shortly after waking up, though aside from that he'll be one of the first people to strike a pose

marshmallow fluff, on an ordinary day he'll go for anything sweet- cakes, nutella, chocolate and other such foods, or just anything unhealthy in general, but marshmallow fluff is most certainly one of the foods that have the ability to lift his mood in his lower moments, and if that's unavailable then he'll go for cupcakes

11. If they could only pick three things to have with them on a desert island, what would they be?
              if he wanted to get off of the island then like his friend, he'd go for a boat, however if that isn't an option then he'd opt for a tent, a flare gun and one of his cats

12. What's their most used emoji?
              if i were to tell you it'd be the cat emoji would you be surprised? this man quite literally lives for his cats okay

for the most part, yes. he'll be on time for important things such as work and most social gatherings, but due to his clumsy and sometimes forgetful nature it isn't too much of an oddity for him to be five or ten minutes late for something

14. If they had the opportunity to change any one thing about themselves, would they?
              it would most definitely be his species; he would much rather become a human rather than an incubus

love; he's had enough one night stands to feel as though love is something he's lacking in his life. money and power would be tempting, but at the end of the day he's a relatively simple person in the sense that he isn't difficult to please

sylver
Orange Belt
House: Halcyon

character interview / sylmahs

Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:59 pm

i really can't spell as of late,
so expect a few spelling errors
              Neither. Both are way too "high-maintenance" for him, and he really doesn't like having animal fur all over his clothes. A dog would probably be easier to travel with and generally more useful, so he'd probably have an easier time coming to terms with taking care of a dog. Although he much prefers his lizard, the fat bastard hides away in his robes, or his satchel most of the time and only really comes out when he needs something (or when he feels the need to hiss at strangers/the rest of their group).

There are definitely no phones around, but if he had one, his background would be of nature - probably a pretty night sky over a lake.

Well, he definitely didn't like Whisky (the lizard) when he first got him, but now Whisky is one of the only living beings that he shows even the slightest bit of affection for on a regular basis.

Meditate. He might also dance since that's pretty relaxing to him, but that highly depends on where he is, who he's with, and what his overall mood & energy levels are.

Syl wouldn't really do too much about it, to be completely honest. He doesn't share when he's hurt/upset, so he doesn't really like it when people come to him with their troubles and worries either, no matter how much he cares about them. However, if he's in a good mood, he'll probably listen anyway and maybe drop a word of advice or two. The moment someone tries to cry on his shoulder and whine/complain without seeking to actively work on "fixing" the problem, or refuses to listen to whatever advice he's offering in return though, he's out of there. You either "work" with him, or cry on your own.

Definitely indoors. He actually really hates travelling, especially for long periods of time, but he sees it as a necessary evil. Knowledge only grows when you see new places, meet new people and learn from all of your new experiences, after all. Plus, some outside locations can quite fascinate and intrigue him, but he will always take comfort in returning to an indoors location like a tavern. Gotta love having a proper bed and a roof above your head.

Syl finds it very easy to "sleep", and he rarely gets too little of it. He doesn't actually sleep, he meditates, and about four hours of that are generally enough to make him feel well-rested. He might need a bit more when he's feeling drained though, but he rarely sleeps longer than six hours.

He hasn't seen his family in a while, but he was fairly close to them, yes. He travels with his half-sister though, and while they're not "best friends forever" close, he does care enough about her to get mad when she does stupid, reckless things.

He can't exactly have his photo taken, but yes, he would definitely like it.

Cinnamon apple pie, but only as long as it's still warm. You can eat your disgusting, cold pie on your own.

A large book (probably something about the arcane, or world history), a large knife, and a hairbrush. I'm dead serious when I say that ruining his hair while he's stuck on that island would drive him insane. He cares a lot about his hair. The knife comes in handy for various tasks, and he'll certainly have enough time to read whatever huge book he brought with him. Anything else he could probably achieve with magic, or build himself until someone shows up to (hopefully) pick him up.

12. What's their most used emoji? (Or what would it be, if they don't have a phone?)
              He can't use emojis, and honestly, if he could he still wouldn't use them.

Yes. If he's supposed to be somewhere at a specific time, he's probably going to show up a bit earlier actually.

Probably not. He might make himself taller, but overall, he's pretty much satisfied with who he is as a person.

Power. It's easy to gain money when you have power, and he's not really a very romantic person who dreams of falling in love and being with someone. Yes, out of those three things, power definitely appeals to him the most (and seems the most useful).
phenomenon
Yellow Belt
House: Amaranthine

as afflatus | character interview two

Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:23 am

• issue thirteen. 2018.
      char. interview two
      CHARACTER INTERVIEW
      • rafael a. rostovtsev. last man standing.
        i. is your character a cat or dog person? or neither? why?
        he's definitely more of a dog person, as he's had to trust many during his time in the military. truthfully, he has a high respect for dogs, as he's been around them more often and seen firsthand how loyal they are. at the same time, he also respects the fact that most cats like their space and like to sleep, much like him.
        ii. what do they have a picture of as their phone background?
        one of the default photos already in the system. he doesn't really have any photos on his phone. and he wouldn't use a photo of anyone he was close with, as it would compromise their identity and, thus, their safety. he's more careful than that.
        iii. is there something that they once hated but came to love? what is it?
        though it may not be so much as "love" as it is acceptance or tolerance, he is gradually getting used to the cards that he's been dealt with. but it isn't easy. life really threw him a curveball, so to speak, and now he's busy trying to redeem everything he's done in the past and move on in life. joining the team, despite the rough patches, might have been the best decision he's ever made.
        iv. what do they do to relax?
        in general, he prefers solitude and silence to think about and process whatever is making him uneasy or nervous. for the most part, he's actually rather relaxed and focused, even in dire situations. the night terrors are usually what tip him over the edge, so he ends up taking long, nightly walks. going outside helps calms the nerves in general.
        v. how do they react to someone they care about being hurt or upset?
        he has the tendency to be apathetic--it just comes with being a soldier for so long and at war in most cases. he forgets how to properly react sometimes. however, he tries to be sympathetic when he can and show a bit of care. he'll pick up on some social cues and try his best to do the right thing. still, he's a bit rusty. at the very least, he'll sit and listen to whatever they have to say and just be there for them even if he doesn't know how else to help. his intentions are genuine.
        vi. are they more of an indoors or outdoors person?
        outdoors for sure. if he spends too much time inside, he gets a bit antsy. he prefers the great outdoors and the fresh air with no walls containing or restricting him. too much time indoors can make him feel like a changed animal.
        vii. how do they act when they’re lacking sleep? do they find it easy to get sleep?
        he's already rather quiet individual, so when he's lacking a lot of sleep, he hardly talks and always wants to be left alone. he suffers from night terrors and ptsd, so sleep is a like a commodity and doesn't come easily to him. really, at any given moment, it's safe to say that he's missing at least a couple hours of sleep. but he's come to endure it, finding other ways to help him fall asleep as well as taking naps in the day to avoid health consequences like muscle deterioration.
        viii. are they close with their family?
        no, they're gone. he never met his mother, only ever knowing his father. even then, he rarely ever saw the man, as his father was in the military. looking back, he suspects that his father was involved in some secret government work, which caused him to be absent for years on end. growing up, he was cared for by a nanny. a lot of his early childhood is a haze, but he remembers a few critical things. one day, when he was on a trip out of town with his nanny, his hometown was bombed and he received word that his father had been one of the many casualties in the explosions. he was put into the system--never seeing his nanny again--and then he became government property. and as far as he knows, he was an only child and has no close relatives. so, "family" is a touchy subject with him.
        ix. do they like having their photo taken?
        no. that's leaving a paper trail and, essentially, putting a bright red target on his head. however, in some cases, a photo of himself is necessary for fake id's and the like. otherwise, he avoids it whenever possible.
        x. what’s their go-to comfort food?
        anything homemade and fresh. really, this man could eat anything--a bottomless pit, this one. he has a soft spot for baked goods, and warm food in general--anything warm is always welcome to a soldier.
        xi. if they could only pick three things to have with them on a desert island, what would they be?

also, just realized, do you mean a) DESERT island or b) DESERTED island bc slight difference there
        i'm assuming and going with b, so: a stainless steel knife/machete, a radio/satellite phone for sure, and a small bundle of paracord, probably. look, he's military and gone through countless survival courses. he'll survive. maybe go insane eventually, but he'll survive. he's had to many times before.
        xii. what's their most used emoji?
        probably just the "slightly smiling face" emoji. appropriate for most situations, he thinks.
        xiii. are they good at being on time for things?
        in most cases, he likes being at least five minutes early for anything. even then, that could be late. he likes to be efficient, well aware that time is precious and seconds shouldn't be wasted. missions and everything he's had to do have only taught him how to value the smallest of things, no matter how insignificant they may seem.
        xiv. if they had the opportunity to change any one thing about themselves, would they?
        absolutely. he'd want to forget everything in his past--the horrors he's seen and experienced. he wants the night terrors gone, which is without a doubt connected to that. in other words, he wants to stop feeling afraid. he knows he can't go back in time to start life over from when he was a young boy, but deep down, he wishes he could. thus, the closest thing to being that young kid again is to forget all the terrifying things he's seen that made him the man he is today.
        xv. if they could only pick one, which would it be: money, power, love?
        probably love. he's encountered only so many people in his life that showed kindness to him despite the chaos going off in the world. money and power merely corrupted his superiors, the enemy, and even people he once called his friends. he's seen enough to know that those never did anyone any good--they're not worth fighting for.
ichor.
Archivist
House: Halcyon Keeper

AS Afflatus - Issue 13 - Staff Trivia Hints

Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:26 am

Staff Trivia Hint Guide x
1. No hint available

2. When I was younger my favorite animal was a dolphin (HINT: wouldn’t it be cool to shoot arrows from the back of one?)

3. I wanted to write a book about chinchillas (HINT: you’d never guess with my pics of my cats)

4. I’ve been learning Spanish since I was 5 and I’m nearly fluent (HINT: what a vibrant thing to learn)

5. No hint available

6. I was in high school before I could do a zipline (began trying in elementary school) (HINT: You want to do this during the warmer part of the year)

7. I am colorblind - I cannot see the color purple at all (HINT: which is a shame because space is neat)

8. I have memories from as young as 4 years old but nothing as a preteen (HINT: probably all those books on my shelf)

9. I played clarinet in concert and marching band (HINT: couldn’t play drums to save my life)

10. When I was little, I liked playing with knives. My grandma decided to pull one out of my hand and ended up almost cutting off three of my fingers; I still have the scars. (HINT: And you thought Americans were crazy!)

11. No hint available

12. I hold my breath when I’m focused and sometimes forget to breathe (HINT: ca lm yourself.. I’m still alive)

13. When I was a kid I tried to swallow a bolt when home alone - ended up choking on it and my father came home from work just in time to fish it out of my throat before I (possibly) died (HINT: at least I learned an important lesson)

14. I play the saxophone as a casual hobby (HINT: maybe I should add James to my user)

15. No hint available

16. I have a collection of over 400 stuffed animals (HINT: Hey, if you are going to do something, put your heart into it)

17. I have an allergy to black pepper (HINT: Not the light stuff)

x We also encourage you to partake in Ask the Staff ;) You can direct questions to specific staff members or to everyone as a whole. Hope this helps make the activity easier for you all!
Tenturo
White Belt
House: Sagacitas

---- ♡ character interview

Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:04 pm

"i'd definitely consider myself more of a cat person. i don't actually have any pets right now, nor have i ever owned any myself, but i've always found more comfort from cats rather than dogs. less noisy and clingy, more calm."

"right now? my car, obviously. nothing else i love enough to put as my background."

"yeah, for sure. i'd say rollercoasters. when i was little, i was scared shitless to go on rollercoasters anytime we went to theme parks. now i think they're pretty fun and exhilarating."

"a long drive in my trusty old mustang, usually with a blunt or two and some good music. helps me clear my head and just decompress."

"if it isn't someone i know, it doesnt really affect me all that much. if i love or care about whoever it is then likely i'll be angry and protective over them, probably trying to fight whoever hurt them."

"i'm not sure. i don't really go hiking or fishing or other 'outdoors-y' type shit, but i spend a lot of time outside still. so if that fits into your definition of an outdoors person, i guess that's it."

"i'm a bit of an insomniac, honestly. i don't get much sleep, but when i do, i'm deeply asleep. not getting very much doesnt affect me anymore, really. i guess my body is just used to somewhat functioning with minimal sleep."

"i'm definitely very close with my mom. she was.. kind of both parents for me, growing up, despite the fact my dad still lived with us. me and my dad never got too close, though."

"i do, to be honest. i think it's really neat that someone else is able to capture me in a moment that i'll never be able to see with my own eyes without it being in a photo or video, but everyone else can see it with their own eyes. it's an amazing concept, really."

10. What's their go-to comfort food?
              "definitely a bacon gouda cheeseburger from Denny's... around eleven at night sounds perfect."

"oh wow... probably eh.. a few pounds of weed, a pack of lighters and a bunch of swishers. i'm gonna die anyways on a desert island, and well, regardless, but anyways, i might as well have a lit ass time if i'm gonna be stuck on an island."

"my most used emoji is... the eyes emoji. like the little set of eyes looking to the left."

"actually, yeah. i'm really anal about being punctual, mostly because i hate waiting on other people so i don't want to make anyone have to wait on me for anything."

"like about my physical appearance? probably my eye shape. i think i'd look better with rounder, slightly bigger eyes."

"love, all the way. no doubt about it."
Kami
Roleplay Moderator
House: Sagacitas

ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴᴛᴇʀᴠɪᴇᴡ #1

Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:04 pm

CHARACTER USED: Faye Leighton
x
Is your character a cat or dog person? Or neither? Why?
xxx"I prefer cats. My grandmother used to rescue cats and I kind of grew up with having a cat since I used to spend a lot of time with my grandparents. While my father didn't allow me to get any pets before turning eleven and getting invited to study in Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, he was more than happy to be of assistance when I needed to choose a pet. I ended up getting my beloved kitten Nyx and we've been inseparable ever since; people often joke that my cat is just a smaller version of myself. They're not wrong."
What do they have a picture of as their phone background?
xxx"Unfortunately, my parents dislike using a few things invented by muggles. While a couple of kids living in the same neighbourhood used to have cell phones, I was never allowed to get my own. But if I did have one, I'd probably use a nice picture of my cat as the phone's background. Or maybe something nature-related that I could look at when I'm bored."
Is there something that they once hated but came to love? What is it?
xxx"I used to hate listening to other people. Nowadays, I blame it on the horrific parenting and family values that my mother had sown inside of my heart. It's not easy to change one's habits; I know that for sure by now. Studying at Hogwarts finally made me understand that not everyone's advice is useless. Of course, my parents still nag that I should only trust my own intuition, but I've learned to ignore them. I love both of them, but sometimes our opinions don't really see eye-to-eye. As long as I take care of myself, they tend not to argue."
What do they do to relax?
xxx"I love reading. The genre or author of the book don't really matter to me; if it's good, I will read anything, be it a textbook or some adventure novel written by a muggle. My mother would prefer it if I read only what we have in our house's library, but most of the books there have been finished multiple times. And I don't really like to read things twice."
How do they react to someone they care about being hurt or upset?
xxx"People know that I can be oddly possessive when it comes to people I care about. If my friend can't defend themselves, I will always step in to help. I'm not aggressive, but something just makes my blood boil whenever I see someone close to me suffer. My father used to laugh that I would end up causing quite a bit of trouble to others if I didn't learn how to control myself. He used to say that some people deserved to suffer, but I don't agree with him. If they're my friend, I won't ever just stand by and watch. I will protect them."
Are they more of an indoors or outdoors person?
xxx"It depends on the situation. If it's a terrible rainstorm outside, I'll always prefer reading in front of the fireplace and drinking a cup of hot tea instead of braving the weather and risking my health. But if it's a sunny and warm day, I prefer spending time outside and wandering around until it gets dark and I need to go back into the dormitory. Sun is nice."
How do they act when they’re lacking sleep? Do they find it easy to get sleep?
xxx"Ever since my brother's death, sleep comes rarely and with a lot of difficulties. I'm plagued by nightmares regarding his passing and I usually wake up multiple times during the night because I get scared. And whenever that happens, I usually spend a good couple of hours just looking through the window or reading in order to calm down and fall asleep."
Are they close with their family?
xxx"I used to be very close with my older brother, Ethan. I still have a good relationship with my parents, but ever since my brother passed away, it just feels like something's missing. I still come to my parents whenever someone's troubling me, but they never give me the kind of advice Ethan would. My parents turned apathetic towards my personal problems ever since one of their children died, but it's understandable and I don't blame them for it. We're civil with one another, but I wouldn't say that we're as close as we used to be earlier."
Do they like having their photo taken?
xxx"Absolutely not. I hate seeing my reflection and while I don't know why, but I feel uneasy whenever someone stares at me for too long. It just rubs me in the wrong way, I guess."
What’s their go-to comfort food?
xxx"My father is an outstanding cook. His meals always make the day brighter, no matter how gloomy I am. However, I can't ask him to make something whenever I'm at Hogwarts, so I prefer to just eat a sweet pastry and drink some fruit tea whenever I feel sad. Most of my closest friends know that I have a sweet tooth, so I'm usually not lacking candy or anything of the sort. As for savoury foods... I guess a warm sandwich usually helps me feel better after a long or tiring day full of magic and living with the bullying I have to endure."
If they could only pick three things to have with them on a desert island, what would they be?
xxx"I would take my wand, obviously. I'm absolutely useless without it; just like most of the students in Hogwarts. I would also take Nyx, my beloved cat who understands me like no one else. I'm not really sure about the third item; I guess a nice book that I haven't read before would manage to quell my boredom for a little while. I'd really like being stranded."
What's their most used emoji? (Or what would it be, if they don't have a phone?)
xxx"Anything that wouldn't be obnoxiously cute or boring to look at on a daily basis. I wouldn't use any of the yellow ones as they're not like me at all. Maybe something with cats?"
Are they good at being on time for things?
xxx"I can't stand when people are late. The same extends to me, too. I get incredibly anxious and usually arrive very early whenever something important is planned. I'll have to admit that being late is one of the biggest fears I have; punctuality is something I look for whenever I'm trying to make new friends. So far, not being late has kept me out of trouble."
If they had the opportunity to change any one thing about themselves, would they?
xxx"I'd like to go back in time and rethink some of my choices. It's not a secret that I blame myself for Ethan's death, even if it wasn't entirely my fault. If I had been more active in helping him, my brother might still be alive; our lives aren't the easiest ones and he was shunned by many people, but I'd still like him to be there for me and our family. I miss him."
If they could only pick one, which would it be: money, power, love?
xxx"Power. I'm not hoping to enslave those I dislike, but I'd like to be stronger and be able to protect those around me. Losing Ethan has done quite a number on my mental health and I can't even imagine losing someone else to bad luck or odd circumstances. If I had had enough strength and experience those three long years ago, my brother would still be here and our family would be whole. I don't want anyone else to feel the same pain I felt when I found out about his death. I want to be able to protect those I care about. If that makes sense."
important
Global Moderator
House: Halcyon

you gotta get ripped apart to see why you're breathing (character interview, one)

Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:39 pm

i. is your character a cat or dog person? or neither? why? domhnall has a high preference towards dogs
over cats, only because he wants one at his side in battle. a vicious dog, one that wouldn't be afraid to snag
throats and taste blood.
ii. what do they have a picture of as their phone background? domhnall does not have a phone, and even if
the technology were to be available, he wouldn't really use it.
iii. is there something that they once hated but came to love? what is it? confrontation. domhnall has always
loved the violent side of things, but one thing he could never really handle the more... verbal side of things.
he has always been a more physical person, wanting to hash it out with fists over words, but he's learnt along
the way how much power his words really do have.
iv. what do they do to relax? being in a stressful leadership position does have its tolls on domhnall, but he
would have it no other way. typically, anything from a random spar to a raid will get him in better spirits to
help him calm down.
v. how do they react to someone they care about being hurt or upset? domhnall is not a caring person. he
is not a kind person. he does not have people he cares about. he lives to make people fear him.
vi. are they more of an indoors or outdoors person? outdoors, definitely. despite the fact that the world is
torn to shit, domhnall will do anything to get out of his office quarters.
vii. how do they act when they’re lacking sleep? do they find it easy to get sleep? domhnall doesn't sleep
much, therefore it isn't evident when he's lacking sleep or fully rested (which never happens). not that he
can't fall asleep, he just has no need to. he has too much to do and so little time to do so. drowsiness doesn't
affect him like it does others.
viii. are they close with their family? domhnall does not have a family, nor does he remember them.
ix. do they like having their photo taken? he's never had one taken of him before, but he'd probably be
down to commission someone to make some art of himself.
x. what’s their go-to comfort food? steak, definitely. medium-rare to rare, dependant on the cut.
xi. if they could only pick three things to have with them on a desert island, what would they be? his blade,
his gun, and his second-in-command, ahri.
xii. what's their most used emoji? (or what would it be, if they don't have a phone?) probably 💀
xiii. are they good at being on time for things? punctuality is an art that domhnall excels at.
xiv. if they had the opportunity to change any one thing about themselves, would they? nothing, yet
everything all at once. domhnall is a very complicated person, existing outside of himself in his mind.
xv. if they could only pick one, which would it be: money, power, love? power. he is ambitious to a
terrible flaw
ichor.
Archivist
House: Halcyon Keeper

AS Afflatus: Character Interview - Rosalind E. Swift

Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:56 am

ImageImage
Character Interview
x
    • Rosalind doesn't quite have a preference, but if she really had to choose, she'd likely go with a dog. She admires their undying loyalty to their owners. She's always wanted a dog of her own and even tried to sneak one onto the ship with her when she was younger. Before her father's ship left the port, however, the pup was found out and she was forced to leave it behind.

• Rosalind doesn't have a phone. However, in a modern universe, she'd likely have a dog and said dog would be her home screen. Or whatever basic wallpaper that she found suitable enough that was already installed on the phone when she got it.

• Rosalind used to hate the fact that she was a pirate's daughter and hated being on the ship at sea once she learned who her mother was. She tried her best to get her mother to accept her for several years, but eventually gave up and came to realize that she wouldn't have liked her mother's lifestyle anyways.

• Rosalind doesn't really...relax. She tries to take care of and keep an eye on everything. If she is found doing something other than bossing everyone around or taking care of things herself, she'd likely be found in her room reading some book or another.

• Rosalind tries to keep herself from caring too much about people. If someone outside of her crew were to hurt her father or any crew member, she'd likely go after them. Overall, however, she's usually awkward and unsure of how to handle such situations.

• Rosalind is definitely more of an outdoors person.

• Not too much different than when she normally acts, though she is perhaps quicker to irritate. She doesn't really have any trouble going to sleep as long as there's nothing worrying her.

• She is extremely close with her father. She is not close with her mother at all, nor her half-siblings. Besides them, she also considers the crew to be her family. Somewhat. She wouldn't say she is extremely close to them, though she does care a great deal about them even if she's not particularly good at showing it.

• Depends. She typically isn't too pleased about pictures, but it's not the end of the world for her.

• Anything sweet.

• 1. Her dad
      2. Compass
      3. Knife

She's very practical and not particularly sentimental at all.

• The emoji that looks unamused.

• Yes, she likes to be punctual, if not early.

• If she could, she would change the fact that she was born out of wedlock. Despite giving up on any hope for a relationship with her mother, she often feels her absence and can't help but miss her.

• Rosalind already has power aboard her father's ship and plenty of money from all the treasures they've collected. If anything, she'd choose love, though she doesn't really think she has room for it and isn't holding her breath on finding it anytime soon.