AS Afflatus: Issue Seventeen

Where you can find all published issues of the Advanced Scribes Afflatus, our very own newsletter!
Kami
Roleplay Moderator
House: Sagacitas

ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴᴛᴇʀᴠɪᴇᴡ #1

Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:09 am

Image Image
            • Is your character a night owl or daywalker?
              He's truly a bit of both. Torsten doesn't usually care if he needs to stay focused while it's bright outside or if the situation calls for him to keep watch overnight. He's used to running on little amounts of sleep and rarely needs more than a couple of hours in order to feel good and capable of staying alert. Personally, he likes to focus on his duties during the day, but it's not a must for him. He likes daylight better, anyway.

Does your character like to daydream?
              Not too much. He often remembers what life used to be like while he still lived in Kungahälla, but his usual dreams don't usually extend any further than that. Torsten prefers to focus on the present and likes to have all of his attention glued to the current stream of events. He isn't against discussing the future, though.

Would you say your character is a team player?
              Definitely. He's a fair leader, who likes taking care of others. It's not hard for Torsten to take responsibility for his actions and make sure that everyone else is happy before taking care of himself. He's not the person to let anyone go into the battle on their own and will do what he can to help. Torsten is usually seen to be a loner, however, this only applies to the people he knows little about; those he grew up with are his closest friends and they would always act as a group. Even with strangers, he's not as cold as most people.

Could your character imagine a life settled down right now or are there things they wish to do first?
              Torsten isn't attracted to the idea of settling down immediately. He yearns to make it up to his village for the pain he had inflicted on them because of his failure. Getting rid of the English, who had been the cause of his fleet's death, he will stop at nothing until his revenge is complete and the souls of his dead comrades rest in peace. Though, he would like to die in a household full of love and affection when he's old and grey.

What is your character’s favourite season and why?
              Winter. Torsten isn't entirely used to warmer climates due to his youth and feels best when he's surrounded by heaps of ice and snow. Being anywhere too different from his home makes him uneasy and lost.

What does the word ‘strength’ mean to your character?
              Everything. It means his ability to protect others and take responsibility for his actions. Torsten doesn't like to be seen as a weak man, who's incapable of doing anything; even his current occupation as a mercenary is based on his strength and ability to watch out for other people during a battle. He's truly certain that no man can exist without strength and that anyone, who prefers to rely solely on their wits is going to die sooner than any mighty warrior. However, it seems that many foreign lands can often prove him otherwise.

Does your character prefer team sports or to play alone?
              He likes to be surrounded by those like him. Doing things completely alone is often difficult for people like him, especially if it is the middle of a glorious battle. He's not the one to play sports, but Torsten likes doing activities based on teamwork whenever he's participating in a tournament in his village.

If your character could, where in the past would they visit?
              He wants to go back to the time where they failed to take over a certain British monastery; sailing back home alone had completely crushed his spirit and the man hasn't recovered from it. Torsten would like to go back to a day before he had made the decision to only take one group of capable men and sail to Britain in order to come home with various loot and a new successful expansion. He'd do anything to take it back.

How does your character display anger?
              He's not a violent person, but often fails to control his anger when it comes to dealing with various conflicts and it's not unusual to see Torsten break the things around him whenever something greatly upsets him.

If your character were enjoying a cheat day, what would they be enjoying?
              He's always prepared to sit with his friends and enjoy some ale or a good dinner; to people like them, who are prepared to go days without food, any bigger meal can be considered as a 'cheat day', where they're free to eat and drink however much they like. Such days most often happen before large battles, though.

If your character were to visit anywhere in the world, where would they go and why?
              He isn't the one to travel away from home. Having chosen to stay in exile until his sins are repaid, Torsten wishes for nothing more than to come back home and spend the remainder of his days there. However, he is interested in seeing how the other Scandinavian countries are doing and if the people there are as different from his tribe as the legends say. Even so, he is rather careful when it comes to exploring new lands.

If your character had control of an element, which would it be and why?
              Water. Torsten has grown up living on the sea and has a very deep connection with the ocean. He feels most comfortable when he's in a ship and wouldn't exchange sailing for anything else in the whole world.

Does your character have a hobby they enjoy?
              He's a fan of training and creating new elaborate traps, be it for the purpose of hunting or subduing his enemies if he wants to get information from them. Torsten is rather quick with his hands and likes carving figures from wood and gifting them to people as a memoir from himself. Even though it's often laughed upon by most foreigners, the locals of his village had taken a liking to his carvings and weren't against using his traps themselves. He also likes to simply go sailing by himself in order to gather his thoughts.

Does your character know any languages, or would they like to learn some? Which ones?
              After refusing to come back home, Torsten was forced to learn new languages in order to communicate with the people living further away. Apart from his native language - Norwegian - he has also learned how to speak Latin and German over the years, somewhat struggling with his abilities to speak in English because of the painful memories associated with the country and its people. He's not too terrible at it, though.

What are your character’s thoughts about their friends?
              He values their safety more than his own. Having lost many dear people over the years, he's prepared to do all that he can to keep the others safe. Even if many people are still angry with him for making bad decisions and failing to protect his comrades, he can't stay angry at them. Torsten is a forgiving person and he would prefer to stay civil with the biggest of his enemies instead of constantly arguing with them.
Kami
Roleplay Moderator

ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴᴛᴇʀᴠɪᴇᴡ #2

Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:11 am

Image Image
            • Is your character a night owl or daywalker?
              She's a creature of the night. Having grown up with a responsibility to keep the presence of supernatural beasts rather unnoticeable by mortals, Saraid has no other choice but to morph her own lifestyle into that of an unearthly creature. It isn't a lie to agree that she doesn't rest very often, preferring to stay awake in order to continue perfecting her skills and make the world a safer place for everyone. Saraid isn't a huge fan of being outside when it's too sunny and likes to stay hidden in the darkness only the night can provide.

Does your character like to daydream?
              Not really. She's a logical woman and doesn't like to waste her time on meaningless fantasies and imagining how things could have gone differently in her life. She has been caught unfocused only a handful of times, usually thinking about the past and wondering if her deal with The Mórrígan was worth it in the end.

Would you say your character is a team player?
              Definitely not. Saraid works alone, often refraining from accepting any pupils into her personal space due to her rather bitter attitude. However, if the elders order her to teach someone in the ways of a real hunter, she often has no other choice but to quietly agree and do whatever she can in order to keep the said apprentice protected from the many dangers lurking outside their guild's headquarters. If the chance allows her to go out on a mission by herself, Saraid rarely ever hesitates before setting out, opting to do things by herself.

Could your character imagine a life settled down right now or are there things they wish to do first?
              Saraid is terrified of someone else going through the same pain and bad luck her family had gone through back in the day. She doesn't want to ever put another human being into that position and, in turn, doesn't let anyone get very close to her emotionally. The woman yearns to make the world a better place by both getting her revenge against the coven of vampires which killed her parents and to make the people of her country feel safe in their own homes. Settling down with a family isn't possible for someone like her.

What is your character’s favourite season and why?
              She likes autumn. Every other season is regarded as too powerful and not perfect enough to carelessly hunt the creatures she has vowed to eradicate. Autumn is like a breath of fresh air, allowing her to prepare for winter while enjoying the good weather. Saraid is also a fan of rain and thunderstorms, thus she really likes staying up and listening to the roars of thunder or sharpening all of the weapons she has for defence.

What does the word ‘strength’ mean to your character?
              It means the world to her. Saraid has grown up in a family of hunters, who had dedicated their whole lives to eradicating the vilest and most dangerous creatures in Ireland; her parents were strong in both mind and body, rarely ever coming home with anything more than a couple of scratches. She yearns to be as powerful and skilled as her mother had been when she was still alive and trains every single day in order to finally act on her wish to get revenge on the beasts who had effortlessly slain her family. Being powerful doesn't mean only a toned body to Saraid; it's also the ability to remain human as The Mórrígan gains control of her.

Does your character prefer team sports or to play alone?
              As mentioned before, Saraid likes to venture on her own. She doesn't trust a lot of people and likes to make her own decisions, which can only impact her own life or safety. Being responsible for the welfare of others isn't what she wants to feel like. However, she isn't afraid of protecting others from the beasts they hunt.

If your character could, where in the past would they visit?
              If it meant not going back to her old body, Saraid would love to visit the night her parents died and help protect the family's house and their honour as fighters. She knows well enough that saving everything is impossible, but keeping her parents alive until help arrives is something that she yearns to change in the past, even if it means that she would make everything come out differently in the future. Saraid's family means everything to her and she doesn't want to spend the remaining part of her life mourning for them.

How does your character display anger?
              Even if she is a patient young woman, Saraid can get incredibly aggressive and violent whenever her patience runs out and she's left with rage inside her chest. It's not unusual for her to attack those working on the same side with her and break objects if the situation is really bad. No one can subdue once it goes awry.

If your character were enjoying a cheat day, what would they be enjoying?
              She likes eating stew more than anything. Even if it's not really a delicacy in her country, Saraid often lacks either the necessary ingredients to make a nice pot of beef stew or doesn't have enough time to much on anything else than a loaf of bread with some meat. However, if the situation allowed her to, she wouldn't refrain from making a large pot full of stew for the whole guild to share once everyone came back from their missions. She is always a fan of sweets but doesn't boast about that fact too often and keeps it secret.

If your character were to visit anywhere in the world, where would they go and why?
              She would like to visit Europe's mountains, having heard of many odd creatures lingering above the clouds and just waiting for her blade's appearance. Saraid isn't too fond of travelling and likes to stay close to her homeland and work on getting rid of its dangers until there's nothing else left to kill inside of Ireland.

If your character had control of an element, which would it be and why?
              Earth. Saraid isn't usually aggressive enough to represent fire and is often described to be a sturdy boulder which anyone can lean on if needed. She isn't afraid of standing against an enemy and has a deep connection with the nature surrounding her due to her Paganic beliefs and her respectful, positive upbringing.

Does your character have a hobby they enjoy?
              She likes playing the violin during the few free hours that she has throughout a week. Saraid isn't too keen when it comes to music but she knows enough not to sound terribly inexperienced. However, hearing her play for anyone else apart from the members of their guild is basically impossible; showing off her music is the one thing that she's constantly hesitant and embarrassed about. Other than that, Saraid is also a fan of dancing and has received enough lessons from her parents and the elders of the guild to easily fit in a rather dashing ballroom if the mission calls for such a feat. She also likes to train and gain new experiences.

Does your character know any languages, or would they like to learn some? Which ones?
              Saraid is fluent in both Old Irish and English, having grown up using these two languages on a daily basis. Apart from that, she knows enough of Latin to communicate using that and is also working on perfecting her skills in French. She would like to learn some of the less common languages, like Ruthenian.

What are your character’s thoughts about their friends?
              She doesn't have a lot of those. Saraid is a reserved and lonely person who prefers to stay on her own and doesn't really put in enough effort to connect with people. However, she's prepared to do anything for those serving under her masters in the guild, even if it means giving up her own life. Some of the people who she has worked together with in the past do hold a special place in her memory and she likes showing that their adventures haven't been left forgotten. However, such events are rather rare when it comes to Saraid.
important
Global Moderator
House: Halcyon

member questionnaire - activity

Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:42 pm

• i. what is your major / planned major? criminal justice
      ii. are you an early bird or a night owl? huge night owl
      iii. what is your favourite genre to write? sci-fi, fantasy, horror, thriller, etc.,
      iv. what was the last book you read? trigger warning by neil gaiman
      v. at what age did you get into roleplaying? oh good lord i think i was? like twelve? nine years ago? maybe even ten years ago
      vi. team edward or team jacob? (who doesn’t like a ridiculous question?) ;c i haven't seen/read it so i'm sorry
      vii. what fictional character would you like to have in your life? aelin galathynius
      viii. what written piece are you most proud of? if you think i take pride in my personal work you're wrong
      ix. what question do you hate to answer? "are you ok/what's wrong/etc.,"
      x. if you were in the circus, what would you perform? i'd probably be like a fire spitter or smthng
      xi. do you get attached easily? yes and no ? when i get attached i get really attached but i keep to myself a lot
      xii. what are you most looking forward to in your future? spending the rest of my life with emily c':
      xiii. what is the kindest thing a stranger has ever done for you? i honestly could not tell you i don't have a good memory at all
      xiv. who knows more about you than anyone else? emILY
      xv. what is your current desktop background picture? emily and i back in april at the cottage we rented together
      xvi. hotdogs or cheeseburgers? cheeseburgers, don't like hotdogs
      xvii. have you ever thrown a party? nope
      xviii. what’s the first thing you notice in the gender you are attracted to? personality, kindness, genuine-ness, etc.,
      xix. what’s the longest you’ve ever spent in the wilderness? two/three weeks ish
      xx. what quote best defines your life? i don't like quotes ngl
Smamm
Purple Belt

20 Questions with Smamm

Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:13 pm

• 1. what is your major / planned major?
      Human Biology / MPAS.

2. are you an early bird or a night owl?
      Depends, more of an early bird.

3. what is your favourite genre to write?
      Sci-fi.

4. what was the last book you read?
      The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin.

5. at what age did you get into roleplaying?
      I was 11 or 12? So about 12 years ago.

6. team edward or team jacob? (who doesn’t like a ridiculous question?)
      Edward, while I was reading the books. Books are more important.

7. what fictional character would you like to have in your life?
      Noah Shaw.

8. what written piece are you most proud of?
      None, really ene

9. what question do you hate to answer?
      Pffff I dunno. Anything personal, especially if I don't trust you much...

10. if you were in the circus, what would you perform?
      I don't think I'm talented or anything. Maybe like some extreme dirtbike stunts or something idk. I'd have to actually get good at riding though lolol.

11. do you get attached easily?
      Not easily, but sometimes. And when I'm attached I'm really attached.

12. what are you most looking forward to in your future?
      Lots! In the immediate future, starting my job and making monies.

13. what is the kindest thing a stranger has ever done for you?
      As horrible as this sounds, it's hard to remember good deeds. A lot of times it's something small, right? I think the nicest thing someone did for me was when I was changing a tire at night with poor lighting in a bad area of town, they drove up and shined their lights on my car and helped me change it. c:

14. who knows more about you than anyone else?
      My bestest fren <3

15. what is your current desktop background picture?
      A sunflower <3

16. hotdogs or cheeseburgers?
      Cheeseburgers

17. have you ever thrown a party?
      Yeah lolol

18. what’s the first thing you notice in the gender you are attracted to?
      Whether they make me laugh or not. Sort of ties in with personality. And obviously physical appearance; I'm attracted to the baby-face, and my boyfriends green eyes <3

19. what’s the longest you’ve ever spent in the wilderness?
      A long weekend.

20. what quote best defines your life?
      "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think," -- Christopher Robin (Winnie the Pooh)
      Also my fav quote eue b

previously eccedentesiast
Savannah-the-Caracal
Black Belt
House: Amaranthine

member questionnaire

Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:14 am

1. What is your major / planned major?
I intend to go into Graphic Design
2. Are you an early bird or a night owl?
both actually, I can not fall asleep until about 11 at night, and wake up perfectly fine at 6:30 am the following morning ready to go
3. What is your favorite genre to write?
fantasy!!
4. What was the last book you read?
uh....I think it was Above World: Mirage
5. At what age did you get into roleplaying?
hm...between 12 and 14, i don't remember for sure.
6. Team Edward or Team Jacob? (who doesn’t like a ridiculous question?)
er....not sure what that's referencing (it's gotta be something) sorry
7. What fictional character would you like to have in your life?
hmmm...that's tough...maybe Lloyd from Ninjago X3
8. What written piece are you most proud of?
right here - 5k words for chapter 49 of my MCSM fanfiction
9. What question do you hate to answer?
How are you feeling.
10. If you were in the circus, what would you perform?
probably something with big cats XD
11. Do you get attached easily?
Ehhhh depends, if it's IRL oh yeah totally, online, takes a bit longer, games: YOU ARE MY PRECIOUS BEAN I SHALL NEVER-oooooo i can trade you for a gmo cow ok buy. (*coughliodencough*)
12. What are you most looking forward to in your future?
setting my own hours
13. What is the kindest thing a stranger has ever done for you?
I can't really think of anything any strangers have ever done for me ;-;
14. Who knows more about you than anyone else?
Me. honestly really no one, maybe my BFF or my mom, but there's some pretty major stuff i hide from them (which sounds awful, i know, but sadly it's true)
15. What is your current desktop background picture?
A minecraft creeper peeking out of a 'broken' windows screen xD
16. Hotdogs or cheeseburgers?
cheesburgers with no ketchup/mustard/relish
17. Have you ever thrown a party?
nope ;-;
18. What’s the first thing you notice in the gender you are attracted to?
I'm bi so both, and I'm also demi, so it's how they treat other people. If they're friendly, then I start to kinda get into them, if they're grumpy then I do my best to avoid them
19. What’s the longest you’ve ever spent in the wilderness?
A full day. I've never been full on camping, but I've gotten up at 6:00 am, trudged up a hill into a field and spent the entire day (to about 8:00 pm) learning survival skills
20. What quote best defines your life?
Either "I try not to think, it interferes with being nuts" (Leo Valdez, The Mark of Athena) or "Fitting in is overrated, I'd rather be appreciated" (Bunga, the Lion Guard)
Kami
Roleplay Moderator

ᴀғғʟᴀᴛᴜs ᴀᴄᴛɪᴠɪᴛʏ

Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:52 pm

• What is your major/planned major?
              I'm currently working towards earning a Master's degree in Criminal Law. If I have time and patience, I might also sit back to complete a PhD in the same field. Recently, however, the idea of getting a second degree (be it in English Literature or Psychology) has been invading my mind and I'm not sure whether it's a good idea or just a phase. But my main goal is to finish law and get a job with the prosecution.

Are you an early bird or a night owl?
              Definitely a night owl. It's been difficult to get enough sleep lately and I spend 95% of my time going through my law books. It's not unusual for me to stay up until 2 am or even later and I usually have to get up at 7 am the next day, haha. It's quite funny that I used to be an early bird back when I was a kid.

What is your favourite genre to write?
              I'm a big fan of mystery and horror. Fantasy is a close second; I love imagining new worlds and either basing them on already existing stories (e.g. Lineage 2, Skyrim) or thinking of something unexplored as well as intriguing. When I was around 7-8 years old, I used to love writing poetry, but that infatuation has long since passed, sadly. Now I tend to stick more to prose and various short or chaptered stories.

What was the last book you read?
              I can't recall the exact book that I've finished reading before I've started reading 1984 by George Orwell; I'm almost 50% done with the novel but it's been rather difficult to juggle both my responsibilities and free time lately. Almost every free minute I have is put either to study for my lectures or writing my damned course paper. I think the last book I've read was just some random storybook I picked up from somewhere.

At what age did you get into roleplaying?
              I think a friend of mine back on deviantART and a game called Impressive Title introduced me to the world of roleplaying. It should have been around the time when I was 12-13 years old. I then joined Chicken Smoothie and stayed there for a year or two and was introduced by another friend to AS back in 2013.

Team Edward or Team Jacob? (who doesn’t like a ridiculous question?)
              Neither. Both are rather creepy, poor excuses for male characters that can suck my imaginary dick. Cheers!

What fictional character would you like to have in your life?
              I'd certainly like a smart person like Hermione by my side; not only is she an intelligent and clever girl, she's also incredibly selfless and appears to be very good company whenever times get tough. Having a loyal friend like Hiccup from the HTTYD series would also be fun, especially if his cute dragon is included into the list. Also all of the animal characters that I've read about in all of the books I've ever read. ♥

What written piece are you most proud of?
              I'm pretty sure it'd be this one. Not only does it vaguely describe the background history of my favourite and most developed character, but it was also very fun to write and I loved getting the idea of how I'd use that girl in an upcoming trilogy of novels that I have planned. I'm a weird person who's rarely ever pleased with what I create and want to write it over and over again until it's absolutely flawless, so many of my creations are just left there as a work in progress and I try not to stress myself out by trying to perfect them.

What question do you hate to answer?
              I heavily dislike people asking me about having kids. It's been said and shown many times that I'm not thinking about having any children in my life; I hate those snotty buggers and don't want for one of them to wreck my body into something I'll hate more than I do now, not to mention waste money on a little parasite that I'd never really love or appreciate as a real parent should. It pisses me off whenever someone tries to change my resolve by saying how I'll change my mind when I'm older and how I'll learn to not be afraid of something that brings me a lot of anxiety and unease. It's been a rather horrible experience for me.

If you were in the circus, what would you perform?
              I'd love to perform in a circus with no animals, honestly. But if I had to choose what kind of a performance I'd do, I would like to do something related to knives or sharp objects. I seem to have a good eye for throwing objects, at least, I used to be pretty good with darts back in the day. Knives are similar, right?

Do you get attached easily?
              I try not to. People are used to hurting others and I don't want to get hurt because of some issues that I may have with those around me. I try to go with the flow and not bend over myself by trying to please everyone, but some people are just kind enough for me to feel safe around them. Even without wanting to, I get attached to them and then it really hurts when they abandon me for new acquaintances or some people that were never really in the picture and act as if they are their whole world now. It's shitty and unfair but if that makes my friends happy, I let it slide. But sometimes I wish that people would value me being attached.

What are you most looking forward to in your future?
              I really want to get my damned degree, even if it's only a principle now. Giving up and wasting 2,5 years of my life isn't an option and I actually want to do what I'm working towards. It's just been a difficult journey and while I know that it'll be worth it in the end, it's been very hard not to throw everything away and focus on writing or doing stupid things like playing video games. But I just want to get my degree, honestly.

What is the kindest thing a stranger has ever done for you?
              Some middle-aged lady offered her market card for me when I was buying yarn to crochet a thing and didn't have one - ended up paying less than 75% of my initial order, haha. Another time some old guy made sure I didn't fall down and hit my head on the pavement when I passed out in the bus stop because of the heat.

Who knows more about you than anyone else?
              Honestly, no one apart from myself. I don't really share everything about myself - some people know a few secrets from one side and others know a bit from another point of view. I don't like putting a lot of trust into one person and believing they won't ever betray me, but if I had to choose someone, it'd be my boyfriend right now. He knows a lot of shit about me (probably even the fact that I'm a compulsive liar and have a tendency to catastrophise things) and it's been rather odd dealing with the fact that it feels like I can trust him not to brag about it to anyone. My sister and my two best friends also know some things about me.

What is your current desktop background picture?
              Well, I have two computers, so this is the current wallpaper of my actual computer and this one is on my laptop. I was thinking of changing them into something watercolour-like when I find something nice.

Hotdogs or cheeseburgers?
              Cheeseburgers. They're not as messy to eat and they're generally cheaper (if you don't buy an actual meal at McDonald's). Plus, they also taste much better, in my opinion. I like cheeseburgers. And other junk food. ♥

Have you ever thrown a party?
              I have tried to do that a couple of times but sort of gave up after no one really showed up. Nowadays I'm not a big fan of parties and like celebrating on my own with some pizza, a good movie and some alcohol. If you throw in a good gaming session or a horror movie and I'm sold. I love being alone. People are tiring.

What’s the first thing you notice in the gender you are attracted to?
              Their eyes, I guess? I'm always a sucker for eyes; I like looking at the colour and seeing how it changes under certain lighting. The second thing I usually notice (or the first, if the person is very tall) is their hands. I'm strangely drawn towards big hands and I have no idea why. Manly hands make me feel safe, haha.

What’s the longest you’ve ever spent in the wilderness?
              There was that long week of being stuck in my countryside back in 2010 when a small hurricane hit that part of Lithuania and the forest went down and my whole family was stuck with no electricity or chances of contacting the outside world for help. Luckily, no one was hurt and our cars were alright, so we managed to get back home quickly. I didn't even miss school because it was late summer during that part of the year. It was still scary, though. Not sure if it counts as 'wilderness' but it's something, right? It was uncivilised.

What quote best defines your life?
              Honestly, a lot of different quotes relate to my daily life but the most accurate one is by one of my long-time idols, Stephen King: "We make up horrors to help us cope with the real ones." - looking at my experience with my studies and the relationship with my family and friends, this quote is very relatable. I try to write as much as I can, be it stories or little blurbs for the Afflatus to escape just how depressing and busy my reality is. In a way, it does help to cope with the fact that I'm chained to my computer for a huge part of the day, simply looking at law books until I can't stay awake or crumble under all of the stress. It's really sad.