AS Afflatus: Issue Three

Where you can find all published issues of the Advanced Scribes Afflatus, our very own newsletter!

Moderator: Admin Aide

Feedback on the Character Interview questions

I love it! It really helps me with making characters
13%
I like the idea but I haven't really used it
70%
I don't really care one way or the other
17%
I think it's dumb; I don't need that and I'd prefer to see other afflatus content in its place
No votes

Total votes: 23
ichor.
Admin Aide
House: Halcyon Keeper

AS Afflatus: Issue Three

Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:26 am

Image x
If you are a new reader of the Afflatus, welcome! For learning about the purpose of each section, feel free to read the descriptions in our very first issue, found here. To get to know the AS staff better, that same issue included some introductions by the staff while our Team Page is under construction. You can submit things to the Afflatus using this form or post directly to the thread.
ichor.
Admin Aide

AS Afflatus - Issue 3 - Table of Contents

Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:27 am

1. Title
2. ToC (you are here)
3. Updates
4. Adventure Story
5. Dear Stag
6. Writing Tips
7. Character Interview
8. Prompt
9. Featured Writing
10. Anonymous Compliments and Critique
ichor.
Admin Aide

AS Afflatus - Issue 3 - Updates

Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:29 am

Image x
House Quiz: As you all hopefully know by now, the Sorting Quiz had a few small changes made and the link was updated. If you have NEVER taken the quiz, you are invited to do so but it is not required. If you HAVE but never received your results, you are welcome to take this new version. Simply visit this page and enter the email currently associated with your account. “What if I registered with emailONE but later changed it to emailTWO?” - Use the CURRENT email. Note: we will ONLY email you if we cannot find an account associated with that email. Please double check the spelling of the email before you submit your quiz.

Afflatus Points: We know many individuals were concerned regarding how they can earn points for their house outside of events. The current event has a lot of potential for earning points, but we understand that not everyone is able to sit down and write a prompt every day! One way everyone can earn points is to contribute to the Afflatus. Using our form found HERE, you can submit questions, concerns, suggestions, nominate writing to be featured, submit anonymous compliments and critique, ideas for new sections, ask the Stag for advice, and more! You will simply indicate your house but otherwise may stay anonymous if you wish. Please no more than 5 items in your submission. You may submit once per Afflatus period. (We may adjust these numbers later on as warranted)

Staff Changes & Applications: With the beginning of a new school year for many of you, it’s time to announce staff changes and openings! Bitanic and Shadowfurykatrina will be leaving us, and Night Fury will be changing positions to administrative aide. As a result of those and other changes over the summer, we have FOUR positions available: 2 Attendants, 1 Global Moderator, and 1 Roleplay Moderator. Please see the official announcement here for more information!

Summer Event: Our huge summer event is drawing to a close! We have only a week left so make sure you submit any last prompts you wish! We are still operating under the policy of 1 point per prompt, but remember that ultimately this was for fun and practice. If you prefer to pick and choose what prompts you do, only have time on weekends, or enjoy specifically the Sunday Challenges, go you! We reinstated the 50 point bonus for completing all 100 prompts, but as we know that is a daunting goal, we would like to share the news: we will be awarding 25 points (half bonus) to those who finish 75-99 prompts! That way if you get most of them done but are not able to complete quite all 100, you still receive a bonus for your incredible efforts. Remember - you will have one full day BEYOND the last prompt day to finish things up. Even if some entries don’t feel perfect or as long as you wanted, make sure they are posted! You are your own worst critic - we are not grading your writing. This is practice for YOU and the points are only there as encouragement for participating.

Events Calendar: We received some great feedback on our events calendar, and Meraki suggested we include a calendar within the Afflatus as well. We are in favor of the idea, and in the next Afflatus we intend to include this as a new section! Thanks for the suggestion!
ichor.
Admin Aide

AS Afflatus - Issue 3 - Adventure Story

Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:33 am

Image x
The poll from last issue had 24 votes for brown, curly hair and 32 votes for cool, grey eyes!

So far, you have looked in the mirror to see a girl staring back at you. The reflection is familiar to you, but today it seems like you are seeing her for the first time. Her curly hair is brown and her eyes are a cool grey in color. (insert next options here)

Choices are as follows:

Check back in 24-48 hours for the next bit of the story! Sorry for the delay! :(

Like before, look at the poll above for the options for this issue and cast your votes!
ichor.
Admin Aide

AS Afflatus - Issue 3 - Dear Stag

Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:34 am

Dear Stag,

I feel like a nuisance bothering my partners when I've been waiting a long time for them to reply. How do I nudge them without seeming too pushy?

- Sagacitas's Bored Panda

Dear Bored Panda,

Don't feel like a nuisance! Communication between roleplay partners is always a vital part of maintaining a roleplay! If you haven't received a reply from them for a while, perhaps check to see if they have been replying to other roleplays or just one in particular. If the latter appears to be the case, perhaps they have muse for that particular roleplay or enough time to post for only the roleplay that is captivating their interest the most! If it looks as if they haven't been posting at all or have long gaps in between posts, perhaps they are busy. It certainly won't do any harm in shooting your partner a message and asking how they are doing. In the message, you can ask if they'll be able to reply anytime soon and if they are having trouble with muse, offer to plan with them to see if that will help them get out of their rut! Keep in mind the timeline and avoid any sort of regular harassment. For example, allow them a full week, maybe a little more, beyond their last log in date to respond to your PM before considering that they may not wish to continue. Life happens, or sometimes people feel guilty about having fickle muse and aren't sure how to communicate their feelings for fear of upsetting their partner! Characters aren't the only ones who fumble a bit to find the right words!

- The Stag

To submit a letter to the stag for advice or anything else, please use this form. Please keep letters to a maximum of 200 words. You may also use this form for anything else you wish to remain anonymous for, such as feedback, submissions or recommendations, prompt ideas, compliments, etc.

Keep in mind, the Afflatus is posted monthly.
ichor.
Admin Aide

AS Afflatus - Issue 3 - Writing Tips

Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:35 am

Image x
This issue's theme is Finding Muse. Next issue's theme will focus on Balancing the Muse and the Critic. If you have any tips regarding the Muse and the Critic, please PM them to forlorn.

The most popular method of summoning muse may be music. Finding an artist or song that gets you in the ‘right’ mood, or even just putting something on in the background to keep the silence at bay, can help to get your creative juices flowing. Whether instrumental, with voices, or even something more electronic or heavy, it all depends on the person and what emotions they hope to channel into their character. Travel can also inspire muse to come knocking at your door, so keep a journal when you travel. In addition to recording your experiences and preserving your memories, jot down notes about emotions, surprises, imagery, and ideas. Driving, movies, and journaling are also ways to set aside your regular life and to delve into your thoughts, to let your mind wander freely. Nature can also be a bountiful resource and a powerful stimulant for muse!

"There is a muse, but he's not going to come fluttering down into your writing room and scatter creative fairy-dust all over your typewriter...Your job is to make sure the muse knows where you're going to be every day from nine 'til noon or seven 'til three. If he does know, I assure you that sooner or later he'll start showing up, chomping his cigar and making his magic."
~ Stephen King
ichor.
Admin Aide

AS Afflatus - Issue 3 - Character Interview

Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:36 am

• 1. How does your character behave when insulted?
    2. How does your character behave when threatened?
    3. What if your character’s dream job? Are they pursuing it? If not, why?
    4. What is your character’s ideal world?
    5. Which personality trait or fault would your character refuse to accept in a romantic partner?
    6. When does your character thing violence is justified or deserved?
    7. What is your character most likely to lie about?
    8. What kind of secrets does your character have?
    9. How far is your character willing to go in order to achieve what they want? If they have a boundary, what is that boundary that they would not cross?
    10. Does your character work well with others? If not, how would they behave if forced to work in a team?
    11. Does your character have any allergies? How severe are they?
    12. Describe your character’s voice.
    13. Is your character left-handed, right-handed, or ambidextrous?
    14. What kind of things would be found in your character’s pockets or purse?
    15. While your character was growing up, who did they look up to?

ichor.
Admin Aide

AS Afflatus - Issue 3 - Prompt

Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:36 am

“Who are you?”
“Demon to some. Angels to others.”

Submit responses to the prompt directly to the thread. Title your post 'Prompt Submission.' If you wish to submit your prompt anonymously, you may do so here.

ichor.
Admin Aide

AS Afflatus - Issue 3 - Featured Writing

Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:37 am

Human by Cas

The morning never brought good tidings to the ashen fae. It was a drip of morning dew in the warrior's den that awoke her, the freezing water dripping down from the tips of her fur to her skin below.

Serpent's Breath by Strider

It can be easy to be wrong,
If you listen to the devil's song.
Leading you this way and that,
Into the den of rats.

How do you find which way to go,
How do you know when you know?
With a serpent's breath in your ear,
The puppet of the puppeteer.

How much can you lose before letting go,
Falling into the murder of crows.
Startled from the serpent's breath,
In their golden eye reflecting only death.

Hurricane by Night Fury

This is a little poem,
For those who had to endure.
The harsh winds of Hurricane Harvey,
And for those who will endure Hurricane Irma as well.

We all have you in our thoughts,
And our hearts.
You're never alone,
Stand strong in these hard times.

Keep your heads up high,
For the hard times will come to pass.
We all support and love you,
You are not ignored.

Always remember that you have people here,
Who will hold you close and give you comfort.
You are not alone,
So stand tall and stride forward.

Good times will come again, I promise.

ichor.
Admin Aide

AS Afflatus - Issue 3 - Anon Critique & Compliments

Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:37 am

Send in anonymous compliments using this form. If you would like to have a piece critiqued, please PM them to forlorn. and she will post them for the next issue. Post any critiques to the thread. Title the post Critique for ____.

There were no pieces submitted for a critique nor any critiques submitted for the past piece.
Anonymous Fox wrote:Love reading the Afflatus and excited for more future issues c:
Anonymous wrote:MeLonous13 is an awesome partner and it's been a really long time since I've felt so inspired to be writing with someone
Anonymous Fox wrote:This is a compliment to our lovely Archivist! You've been doing so well and I honestly really love the Afflatus so far! Keep up the good work, and don't be discouraged. I truly hope that this becomes more popular because I'd hate to see it go. Anyways, I hope you have a lovely day, Anika! Say hello to your cats for me.
Two of the compliments came in before we decided to implement points for the Afflatus. Please PM me or another staff member to let us know if one of these compliments belongs to you! x Image