AS Afflatus: Issue Seven

Where you can find all published issues of the Advanced Scribes Afflatus, our very own newsletter!

Moderator: Admin Aide

awakening souls.
Red Belt
House: Sagacitas

Character Interview:

Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:29 am

SPARROW..ELOISE..KENTER
."The name's Sparrow - Sparrow Eloise Kenter. I stick to Spare, though... Makes me
..seem like less of a sketchball. Oh, and I'm nineteen. Are you judging?"

."Of course not!"

."Good. If I was you, I'd be more careful."
."Are you going to stand there looking pretty all day, or can we get this show on the road?"

."Right, my bad!"
."Do you have siblings within your age group? Which one are you closest with?"

."I had a sister. Tiara was her name - but everyone called her Tia."
."She's gone now. The virus got her."
."She was only 12. It isn't fair... But it never is, is it? I mean, why would it be? The virus took
.every child, every elder. I don't think it concerned itself with fairness."

."I'm sorry to hear that."
."What was your relationship like with your mother?"

."It was the same as any other young woman's relationship with her mother - tiring but nonetheless
.appreciated. She criticized me a lot, but I'd give anything to take another one of her judgmental
.comments. I miss her, but I suppose I'm not the only one."

."That's rough, Spare."
."And what about your relationship with your father?"

."He was my rock. Always there for me when I needed him. I wish I could've been there for him
.when he passed."

."It's not your fault. You couldn't do anything."
."May I ask, has there been any experience that drastically changed you? How so?"

."When I gave birth to my baby boy."
."I named him Ike... Short for Isaac. I know I was too young to raise a kid, but I loved him."
."But then he too was taken away from me... They killed him, murdered him. They said he was
.infected, that he was dangerous...so they rid the world of him."
."I'm not as strong as I once was. Sure, I look tough and I act tough, but I'm not. Not anymore.
.At first, I had nothing to live for. Without Ike, my life had no purpose. But I've found my purpose -
.it is to avenge him. I will not die in vain. I will die for Ike."

."My condolences for your loss. I know he meant the world to you."
."And just out of curiosity, what can typically be found in your pockets or purse?"

."It amuses me that you concern yourself with what I carry in my pockets."
."But if you truly wish to know, I keep a knife of some sort on me at all times. And food...
.if there is any."
."As for my purse, well, I don't have those luxuries anymore."

."Interesting."
."Do you by chance notice any recurring themes in your dreams?"

."My baby. I dream about him every night."
."And death - I dream about death. It surrounds me..."

."And what do you desire most out of life?"

."Honestly...nothing. Nothing but the desire for the extinction of this disease."

."I can understand that. I'd desire that too."
."Being encircled by all this death and pain and destruction, do you find yourself bothered by
."the sight of blood? If so, how badly?"

."I couldn't care less. I've seen blood too many times to forget it. Might as well learn to accept it."

."I'd have to say I agree with you on that one."
."Do you remember names or faces easier?"

."Names. Definitely names."
."I've already begun to forget the faces of my family, my friends... It's disheartening."
."But names... Names I will never forget. Not even if I tried."

."Perhaps you and I are similar in that sense."
."Maybe you'd like to look back on some fonder memories..."
."What was your favorite toy as a child?"

."I've always been a bit of a tomboy, I guess, but when it came to toys, I couldn't get my hands off
."of baby dolls. Something about them made me really want to be a mother."
."You know, I've never told anyone that before. You'd better not be a snake about it."

."That's a very heartwarming memory."
."Now, moving on to a deeper question, how quick are you to trust someone else?"

."I've been gripping onto my lockback from the moment I laid eyes on you."
."I don't trust people anymore. Never again. I can't - not if I want to survive."
."Does that answer your question?"

."I understand where you're coming from, Spare."
."And what do you think of children?"

."I believe that children are angels sent down from heaven to put an end to our wars."
."But they always get caught in the crossfire...even as the peacekeepers."

."Children are truly blessings."
."How do you think you handle confrontation?"

."I don't handle it, I cause it. I am the confrontation."
."The world made me this way. The virus made me this way. This is not who I am, but rather who I
.must be in order to get through this."

."Well, on that note, what is the worst thing you have done?"

."I became someone else."
."But at the same time, it is the best thing I've done."

."Thank you so much for your time, Spare. I appreciate it, and wish you much luck out there."
Blacksteel Alchemist
Black Belt
House: Halcyon

Interview & Prompt: Emily B Brooks

Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:25 am

1. Does your character have siblings within their age group? Which one are they closest with? "Nope. I'm all alone."

2. What is your character’s relationship like with their mother? "She's dead... I loved my mom, still do. She was the greatest woman, greatest cop, in the whole world. I'd take her spot any day."

3. What is your character’s relationship like with their father? "He's dead. But he was great. He took me to games, he coached my softball team..."
4. Has there been any experience that drastically changed them? How so? "Well, my parents were murdered by something, while I snuck out with a friend. I'll never be able to forgive myself. Or them."

"How did it change me? They killed my parents. I was 12. I got shipped off to a foster home, where I was abused for four years before I ran away to Uncle Bobby's."

5. What can typically be found in your character’s pockets or purse?
"Holy water, a pocket knife, fake IDs, salt, silver bullets, iron bullets.... Stuff to kill stuff with."

6. Are there any recurring themes in your character’s dreams? "Don't ask me about that. I'm not talking about it."
7. What does your character desire most out of life? "Life, love.... A family..."

9. Is your character bothered by the sight of blood? If so, how badly? "Ha! Scared of blood? I'm in the wrong business if I'm afraid of blood. Good one, though."

10. Does your character remember names or faces easier? "Faces. For sure. But I can tell you all of my, and my friends' aliases."

11. What was your character’s favorite toy as a child? "I had a bike. One of my first memories was Dad helping me learn how ride."

12. How quick is your character to trust someone else? "Generally, I don't trust people. At all. I sleep with a knife under my pillow."

13. What does your character think of children? "I want children so badly. It physically hurts. But, with my life. It's almost impossible."

14. How does your character handle confrontation? "Ask someone who's killed me, or I've killed, how well I deal with confrontation."

15. What is the worst thing your character has done? "Well, that's a tricky one. I kill things for a living, so.... But I cheated on my boyfriend, or whatever we are, with his brother. I start fights, I drink to excess, I hurt myself, I've betrayed my friends, my family... The list goes on. We done?"
Criminal Minds Fanfic
Supernatural Fanfic
1x1 search
Currently looking for a Criminal Minds or a Supernatural rp.
Image⎜FEMALE⎜25⎜STAY AT HOME DAUGHTER⎜INTP⎜♓︎ ⎜Image
Blacksteel Alchemist
Black Belt
House: Halcyon

Interview and Prompt: Kimori I. Mustang

Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:39 am

1. Does your character have siblings within their age group? Which one are they closest with? "Just Lucas. He and I were all each other had. Being raised by governesses, and not really knowing our parents."

2. What is your character’s relationship like with their mother? "I don't remember much of her. She wasn't really a mother."

3. What is your character’s relationship like with their father? "We never had one. But whenever he was around, he liked to ruin any chance of happiness I had. So..."

4. Has there been any experience that drastically changed them? How so? "There have been many in my almost hundred years of living. Almost dying by being tested on in Auschwitz... And losing him... I don't deal with my problems. I run from them. But being changed... I.. I'd rather be dead."

5. What can typically be found in your character’s pockets or purse? "If I can, I have a bottle of cow's blood with me."

6. Are there any recurring themes in your character’s dreams? "Yes. I do. I dream about the holocaust... About losing him... And about living alone forever..."

7. What does your character desire most out of life? "Love. No question."

9. Is your character bothered by the sight of blood? If so, how badly? "Human blood? It terrifies me. But not because of reasons you think... I'm a vampire... A vegan vampire."

10. Does your character remember names or faces easier? "Well... I believe faces? Though really, their scent is ingrained in my brain forever..."

11. What was your character’s favorite toy as a child? "My easel."

12. How quick is your character to trust someone else? "I'm too quick. That's how I met the love of my life."

13. What does your character think of children? "I would love children of my own. If only..."

14. How does your character handle confrontation? "I... I don't believe I'm very good at it. I'm told I run from my problems."

15. What is the worst thing your character has done? "I killed people."

"It'll be easy. You just have to seduce them."

"You're kidding right? I'm about as seductive as a cabbage."
Criminal Minds Fanfic
Supernatural Fanfic
1x1 search
Currently looking for a Criminal Minds or a Supernatural rp.
Image⎜FEMALE⎜25⎜STAY AT HOME DAUGHTER⎜INTP⎜♓︎ ⎜Image
ichor.
Admin Aide
House: Halcyon Keeper

AS Afflatus: Character Interview - Beretta A. Goodchild

Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:33 am

ImageImage
Character Interview
x
  • 1. Does your character have siblings within their age group? Which one are they closest with?

Beretta does not have any siblings within her age group. She only has one brother - Miller Trevor Goodchild - who is ten years younger than she is. Despite their age difference, Berry would move mountains for her younger brother. She is very overprotective when it comes to him. She's raised him since he was a baby, so in many ways, she is his mother and sister all at once.

2. What is your character’s relationship like with their mother?

Unfortunately, shortly after Miller was born, Beretta's mother passed away when she was ten (10) years old. Before her mother's passing, she was definitely close to her. It upset her greatly when her mother passed, but she knew her father was even more devastated so she took it upon herself to take on as many of her mother's duties as she could, making sure to look out for her father and help him in raising Miller.

3. What is your character’s relationship like with their father?

Beretta was extremely close to her father, especially after her mother's passing. She became his pillar of support, doing whatever she could to help him out, and he did the same for her. Berry was pretty much his little girl and he made sure that she grew up strong so that she would be able to stand up for herself if the need ever arose.

4. Has there been any experience that drastically changed them? How so?

At ten (10) years old, Beretta lost her mother and was forced to mature and grow up quicker than the rest of her peers. From the moment her mother passed away, she's been the one who looked after the house, looked after and raised her baby brother, Miller, and supported her dad during the time he grieved over his wife's loss. Eleven (11) years later, her father passed away, thus forcing her into a role that she didn't feel ready - and still doesn't feel ready - to fulfill. Now, she is the leader of their society and has to continue on with what her grandfather and father had set out to do. A major difference from taking care of a house and child and one she is constantly second-guessing herself on.

Beretta doesn't have a purse. And she doesn't really carry anything in her pockets, except for maybe some folded paper or something of the sort. Oh, and condoms. However, she does have two very important things that she keeps on her person at all times - the dogtags of her grandfather and father, as well as her parents' wedding rings. She wears her mother's wedding band on her index finger, while her father's hangs from around her neck along with his dogtags, as well as his father's - her grandfather. She always absently touches either the necklace or ring when faced with something that she is uncertain about. Other than those items, she also always has a weapon - a Beretta, how fitting - with her at all times.

6. Are there any recurring themes in your character’s dreams?

Beretta frequently dreams about having her entire family together. Safe. Happy. Her mom, her dad, her, and her little brother. Just a normal family living together happily. Every time she dreams of such things, she wakes up feeling numb and not too great.

7. What does your character desire most out of life?

Her parents. Unfortunately, she can't go back in time to change what has happened. Other than her parents, she just wants to succeed in doing what her grandfather and father set out to do before she was forced to step in as leader. She wants things to be better for everyone and hopes she can achieve it, or at leat come close to it.

9. Is your character bothered by the sight of blood? If so, how badly?

No, Beretta is not at all bothered by the sight of blood. If she has to, she will draw blood herself.

10. Does your character remember names or faces easier?

Beretta remembers faces easier. With so many people to look over now, she often forgets names or mixes them up, though she does her best to remember everyone and who they are.

11. What was your character’s favorite toy as a child?

This handmade fox plush toy her mother made for her before she was born. She still has it, but she keeps it hidden away and pulls him out during the nights she needs comfort.

12. How quick is your character to trust someone else?

Beretta is not at all quick to trust others. She has a small group - Reid, Abraham, and Zachary - that she trusts with everything, but outside of that, forget it. She's grown up with the three boys and rarely reveals much to anyone outside of those three. They know of her insecurities and have seen her at her most vulnerable.

13. What does your character think of children?

Beretta is fairly neutral about children. She's not dying to have any children anytime soon, but she doesn't hate them either. Due to having handled and raised Miller from infancy, she knows how to take care of children and how to behave with them.

14. How does your character handle confrontation?

Beretta does not take confrontation too well, especially if fingers are being pointed at her, or if she is being questioned. She will quickly put someone in their place should she need to. If something is amiss, she won't hesitate to confront someone herself.

15. What is the worst thing your character has done?
    warning: mention of suicide in the following answer

Hidden text.
    Beretta always puts everyone else before her. She put her father and brother before her, and now she puts pretty much everyone before her. She takes care of herself last. She had a moment of selfishness after her father passed and she felt suffocated by all the responsibilities that she now had to shoulder and had decided to try to end her life. Abraham had walked in on her before she could cause any real harm to herself and upon realizing what she had been about to do, she broke down. Had she gone through with the act, she would have let her grandfather and father down, and she would have left Miller behind with no other family.
Grengirl
Bronze Belt

Second character interview, took me long enough

Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:45 am

(Face claim is zack ward)

Name:Kai Landon, but I just go by Landon

*img's do not belong to me

1. Does your character have siblings within their age group? Which one are they closest with?

No. I don't have siblings.

Put simply its complicated. I haven't seen her in years but when she was around she alternated between overprotective and absent. I never knew which I would get it for how long.

I don't have one. I don't think I ever even met him before his pack murders him and drove us off. If I did I was far too young to remember him.

Meeting River and finding out we were part if the same circle. The experience made me allot stronger in some ways but in others you could argue that meeting destroyed me.

when I have pickets you mean? Wolves don't have pockets and neither do j after changing but when I do not much. A little human cash and some gold. Gloves do I can touch metal objects with greater ease. I don't have much use for material things that I'll most likely not have at the end if the day.

I've been having slot more nightmares recently. Honestly I regret slot of the acts I committed under River. I was forced to hurt so many entities that I'm sure were really innocents. I dream about them. Seeing their faces and hearing them cursing me with their last breaths over and over.

that's a hard one yo answer because I'm just working on having a life again. I would like to find a way to get my shoulder to hurt less. The pain when I shift us almost enough to knock a guy out. I think the scream is all that stops me from doing just that every time.

it used to bother me some but after all the fighting I've seen and having torn apart combatants with my own fangs it no longer bothers me like it should. Does that answer the question?

faces, faces and scents. Those nightmares I mentioned before are filled with both. I couldn't tell you any of the names. Not even the ones that had been on my side before their demise.

wooden blocks then later Lego. I really liked to build things and when I was with River I thought I was helping her to build a better world. It was lies but lies I believed for years. I was a fool.

I don't and can't trust easily. I never could but when I did trust I trusted the wrong person and now no one wants me around. They can't trust me. I don't blame them, any if them but I do want them to just hive me s chance? Given the crimes I committed even that might be too much for me to ask.

the kids St the church are the only ones who don't judge me on my past. I like them okay but their parents are kinda scary so I hold back from interacting with them much. Given I was raised to be afraid of violent persecution simply because if my mixed linage and how much I'm hated in my own home I can't see me wanting to bring pups into that. It's possible but.. I'm just not ready to face that possibility yet.

not very well I guess. I mean I push things too far trying to look strong and I snap at the wrong people at the worst times. I know I do but.. I don't know how rare to be anymore! Everything is difficult frustrating and confusing right now and the pain from my injuries that can't heal right are not helping at all. John why can't you just tell me when I've done something right by you? I'm trying so hard.

The worst thing? God I couldn't even guess. There us such a laundry list of evil things that have been attributed to me. All the killings in Rivers name, on her orders. Every life I crushed. Recruiting kids into that darkness might have even been worse. You can choose for yourself.
tzimisce,
Purple Belt
House: Vipera

character interview ; princess + her unwanted accomplice, barnabus

Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:01 am

princess.
ImageImageImage
{ got your finger on the trigger but your trigger finger's mine!!! ▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
      • 1. Does your character have siblings within their age group? Which one are they closest with?
        "well, you're just gettin' right into the juicy stuff, huh?"
        "shoot 'em, princess."
        "what? no, shut up, b. yeah, i have a sister. she kinda stopped talking to me when i kept running away. i think the third or fourth time she just...gave up. also, she thinks i'm a nutjob, so that doesn't help."

"i ran away from home a total of 6 times so, uh, we aren't really close. nothing against her, i guess. i just wasn't made for being a daughter, y'know?"
        "or she wasn't made for being a mom."

"oh she's definitely going to shoot you now!"
        "barnabus. shut. up. anyway, i never really knew him. and no, he wasn't the stereotypical absentee dad that traumatized me or whatever. we literally just never spent much time together. he liked things like crosswords and grilling, and i didn't. kinda a lame excuse, but whatever."

"uh? when i started seeing a literal demon. that changed a lot. i was only a few years old when it happened, and i kinda assumed he was an imaginary friend. but he never went away, and i realized 'awh crap.
        this is a thing now, isn't it? like, i'm that one kid from the omen. or sixth sense. or something weird."

"hmm...i usually have a can of mace, my flip phone (found it in a trash can, the sucker still works!,) and a piece of gum. oh, and my piece. usually. sometimes. i stole it from my mom - why on earth did that woman have a gun in her purse? oh well, it's mine now. not that i...really know how to use it."

"hehe."
        "uh, b is there a lot. like, a whole lot. all of my dreams kinda feel like puzzle pieces being thrown at me in a random order, so i have a bunch of puzzle pieces, but i don't know what i'm supposed to be making, and none of the pieces go together yet."
        "ooooh, poetic! nice one, princess."

"i kinda wanna just go back to normal. i want to have a relationship with my family. but with barnabus following me around, i feel like i'm just...not supposed to be around people."

"she tries to pretend she isn't, but it freaks her out."

"faces. names don't mean much to people. like, do you really think my name is princess? c'mon."

"ok, i really liked barbies. not bratz, barbies. and not the dolls themselves, but the other toys. like the makeup kits and clothes and stuff. my absolute favorite was this one styling head i had - y'know, those big barbie heads that you use to give them weird haircuts and stuff? - and i had given her so many haircuts her hair was, like, 15 different lengths."

"i really try not to be paranoid and reclusive, but it's kinda a habit."

"i love them, so much. they are literally our future, yet people treat them like garbage. it's gross."

"by shooting whoever it is!"
        "no."
        "by shooting whoever it is twice."
        "i think that barnabus here is trying to say that i can get...explosive. or angry. whatever. i don't shoot things."

"shot someone!"
        "...okay, fine. he wins. i shot a creep in the foot because he'd been following me. i thought he was gonna attack me, alright? it was one time, b."
toast
Gold Belt

AS Afflatus: Character Interview II.

Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:43 am

ImageImage
CHARACTER INTERVIEW
KITA WHATEVERITIS
    • Kita has two older siblings; a brother named River and a sister named Maisie. Both are older than him at ages 27 and 25 respectively. He’s closest with Maisie, who spent a lot of time watching him while they were growing up.

• Kita has a positive relationship with his mother, although she was a bit over protective of him. It’s not that she was worried about him getting hurt, since they found out when he was really young that permanent damage was near impossible, but that was almost what scared her. Along with the concern of what people would think and try to do to him when they found out her was a metahuman

• His father tended to show favoritism towards him, and often times encouraged him to push his boundaries as much as he could. Kita did, quite happily, and while it didn’t do any huge and lasting damage, his intense feistiness could be attributed to this

• in the one AU he’s in, there was an invasion. I wouldn’t say that it drastically changed him as a person but it drastically changed his way of life. Partially because he finds a new found love of pestering one person in particular, partially because he finds someone who is willing to pester that person with him. Also because aliens kind of invade his world but that’s another story

• pocket lint. His phone that may or may not be charged, likely some money that’s been through the wash a couple of times because he forgets to put it in his wallet when he gets home

• he doesn't really dream all that much anymore. or at least, he doesn't remember them. he probably dreams a lot about space and star travel because that's most of what he's experiencing now

• he probably just wants to be able to stay with yves, since he's pretty confident that his relationship with him keeps his family protected. he'd also like to climb half dome but he doesn't have the confidence to free climb it like he ultimately wants to

• probably. he's never actually bled before, so his exposure to blood is....extremely limited. he's not going to throw up for faint if he sees it, but it makes him pretty squeamish when he has to deal with it in real time. he;d much rather just deal with a lot of pain rather than a little bit of blood.

• Faces most definitely. He tries his darndest with names but if he’s not around someone very often, he’ll recognize a face long before he can put a name to it

• his parents got him a hippo plush when he was a newborn. he doesn't have it anymore but his mom has it stored somewhere in the boxes in the attic

• Probably too quickly. He doesn’t really exercise caution very often because he doesn’t feel like he’d be affected if things go wrong, which is for the most part true. And he’s never had any sort of thing happen to him that makes him feel like he needs to guard his emotions

• He likes them as long as they are not near him and will leave within ten minutes. Otherwise thinks they’re a bit sticky and loud

• Kita is highly confrontational. He’s usually the one starting arguments, but he’s not very good at backing it up. A prime example of talk shit, get hit

• dive wholeheartedly into a romantic relationship with an alien invader and not tell his family that tiny little detail until he took yves home for the first time.
ichor.
Admin Aide
House: Halcyon Keeper

AS Afflatus: Prompt Submission

Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:00 am

x Image

words: 851
characters: raleigh & noir's jo
              • Raleigh sat on her friend's couch, slumped back against the cushions. There was a dejected air about her as she sat there, slumped over with her head resting against the arm rest while a glass of whiskey remained cradled between her hands and against her stomach. She had just gone through a rough breakup recently. A relationship that had lasted two full years and was going on its third, until she found out that her boyfriend had been cheating on her with another girl. Of course, Ral had been hurt. Deeply. She had cared for her boyfriend so much and had actually been able to envision a future with him. Hell, they had even spoken of a future together numerous times and had been living together for half a year already. Unfortunately, she had had to kick him out of their shared apartment. Raleigh sighed and shifted her position a bit so she could take a swig of whiskey. Upon Zachariah coming to join her on the couch with his laptop tucked under one arm, while the other held his own glass of whiskey, Raleigh sat up and arranged herself so she was sitting with her legs crossed.

"Zach, where did I go wrong?" she questioned, with a slight frown. She leaned over to rest her head against his shoulder as he pulled something up on his laptop.

"You didn't do anything wrong, darling. Dickwad just fucked himself over," her friend told her, matter-of-factly. "Okay, do me a favor and listen to this ad I made to find Jo a roommate," he told her, pulling up a document with words and a nice picture of a very cute girl. Raleigh had heard a bit about Jo from Zach, but she had never actually met her. She listened to the tongue-in-cheek ad that he had made for his friend, laughing a bit, before nodding and giving her approval.

"You know...since you now don't have Dickwad living with you, I'm assuming you need a roommate to help pay for rent? You and Jo should live together. She could maybe even bring a smile to your face. Two lonely souls, weighed down by their baggage. Quite perfect, if you ask me. What do you think?"

Ral nodded her head as she leaned forward and poured herself another glass of whiskey. "Yep. I don't know how I'll arrange for rent next month. I could always ask my parents to help out until I find a roommate and I know they wouldn't mind...but..." Raleigh trailed off as she heard him suggest taking Jo in as her roommate. "That could work." The dark-haired girl shook her head and chuckled at his attempt to convince her to accept Jo as her new roommate, rolling her eyes at his words. "Are you shipping us already? I haven't even met her and mind you, I just got out of a relationship," she told him, her tone playfully stern. She took another glance at Jo's picture, a slight smile tugging at her lips. "She is cute though," Ral admitted. "I'd likely scare her off though. I'm surprised you haven't."

Zachariah beamed at her when she agreed on being roommates with Jo. "You'll love her! And she is cute, and so are you. This is perfect! Now you two just have to seduce each other," he teased, with a big grin as he shut his laptop. "Hey, I actually have to go meet up with her at this high school she's doing a presentation at. You can come with me so you two can finally meet. Believe it or not, I've been wanting you to meet each other."

"I am as seductive as a cabbage," Ral mumbled into her glass. "And sure. Let me finish this," she said, downing the contents of the glass as quickly as she could. Once done, she got up with Zachariah's help, and held onto him as he lead her out of his apartment.
                She was successful in making it to the door, with the exception of bumping into the coffee table and the couch's armrest. On the ride to the high school, Ral and Zach bantered as they usually did. By the time they had reached the high school and slipped into the auditorium, Jo's presentation had been drawing to a close.

As Ral stood there beside Zach in silence, grabbing onto him for extra insurance so that she didn't fall and make a fool of herself, she listened to the end of Jo's speech. Soon after, Jo had made her way over to them and Ral hung back as the two friends embraced, offering a small smile and wave. "Hi, I'm Seductive Cabbage," she introduced herself, before Zach had a chance to do introductions. Upon hearing her name, she blinked. "Oh. Sorry, Raleigh. Call me Ral though," she told the woman, a slight nervous laugh coming from her. She took the woman's extended hand and gave it a firm, brief shake before leaning up to squeal into Zach's ear. "She's adorable," she gasped, with a small squeal-like sound accompanying her words.
ironic
Black Belt

AS Afflatus: Character Interview.

Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:41 pm

Image Image
CHARACTER INTERVIEW
EMERSON THADDEUS SHARP
it's never too late. as in i meant to post this yesterday but forgot.
    Emerson has two older sisters; Elena is five years older and Ester is two years older. He would be really hard pressed to say which sister he's closer with, but when push comes to shove, he's closer with Elena. It was really more so because Ester stayed in their quiet hometown in Maine and stayed with their parents and her high school sweetheart while Elena and Emerson moved a bit aways down south. Elena had attended Johns Hopkins University for medical school while Emerson was at the Naval Academy and she visited him whenever she had the chance to bail him out of the academy if only just for a lunch. Besides that, Elena and Emerson found each other in New York by chance when their careers brought them there. Elena was a hot shot doctor in New York City, Emerson was just out of New York City catering to the children of very wealthy parents. While he does speak with Ester a lot and they all get together for family birthdays up in Maine, Emerson does spend a lot more time with Elena, and was a frequent babysitter of his nephew Parker and his niece Annalise.

Emerson loved his mother. She was his biggest supporter growing up and God forbid anyone say anything that could possibly be taken as rude towards her son. Sofia Sharp was ready to brawl for Emerson when he was little and got teased for enjoying 'girly' past times like drawing and cooking. Then, when Emerson grew up, he found himself ready to throw down any time for his mother. He can call her forgetful and a klutz and far too doting on all her grandchildren, but if anyone else says that, there are gonna be issues. When she developed aggressive pancreatic cancer and passed away shortly after Emerson got home from being based overseas, he was absolutely devastated. He doesn't feel like he got to say a proper goodbye to her, but he knows that life is never that perfect. He does everything he can to honor her memory, like putting up a big Christmas tree and turning the holidays into a very big deal.

Emerson honestly just had a marvelous childhood. His father was the 'fun' dad with all the lame jokes told at birthday BBQs and pool parties. Though a die hard retired Air Force pilot, he was a pushover when it came to Emerson choosing the Navy over the Air Force in terms of service branch. He always tried his best to be there for his kids and was the one very loud dad at graduations and football games and soccer games and every single sporting event that Elena, Ester, and Emerson participated in - and that was many. He did PTA and was involved in chaperoning prom on 6 separate occasions (much to the chagrin of all of his children), and honestly just did his best to be the best parent he could be. He's currently staying with Ester in Maine, retired and still grieving for the loss of his wife, but nonetheless happy, especially when he gets to hear from or see Emerson, Elena, and the grandchildren.

Emerson had always been dead set on improving the overall good in the world. He likes to see the brighter parts of humanity and focus on making it just a bit sunnier everywhere. Generally speaking, he's a very happy-go-lucky man and has always been, which was why it was a bit odd of him to graduate top of his class at the Naval Academy. Overall, it didn't seem like he, an almost whimsical person, would be the 'prime' naval officer fresh out of school. But nonetheless, he managed. However, he wasn't a fan. Though he was eager to help society and put in service with the military, after seven years of flying around and seeing the worst of humanity, he had decided to call it quits. He sort of figured out that he was much more of a pacifist and didn't like the violence all that much and when he wasn't needed, he just left. He turned his life around and became a kindergarten teacher and that was that. He always liked children and it was a far cry from violence so it was a life he was all about.

Emerson's trouser pockets have tissues, some spare change, a pen or two, a couple receipts for coffee, maybe a crinkled grocery list if you catch him on the right day, and some lint. In his jacket pocket he's got his keys with a nice little shark flashlight keychain that Parker had picked out for him at the aquarium when they went as a mass extended family, a couple of business cards and flyers from people out on the streets that he was too nice to turn down, gum wrappers (never the gum itself) because he doesn't like having coffee breath in the morning, headphones to jam out to music while waiting for anyone (because he is the man who shows up 10 minutes early to everything if he can help it), and his ancient ass leather wallet, scratched up and soft, with a tiny note from his mother tucked behind the picture of his whole family (prior t his mother's passing). He also has various pictures of Pepper and his nieces and nephews in that wallet as well.

Emerson's dreams usually revolve around him drifting through vast empty space, sometimes the sky by plane, sometimes the sea by swimming. He's just there in the open air, calm as ever. On some occasions food is involved in his dream somehow, clouds turn into plates of spaghetti and meatballs and the crests of waves turn into fillets of cod - but usually that only happens if he goes to bed hungry.

Emerson is that one person who truly wants to leave the world just a bit better than it was when he found it. He's the man who goes to soup kitchens and brings his own food there to share with everyone, offers up carpool (even to someone he's not entirely fond of) because that means being eco-friendly, can and will lecture on the merits of proper recycling and give such a moving speech that you end up wanting to try to save the planet. Really, he's a stand up guy even if he can be a bit naive and somewhat of a pushover - your boy just wants everyone to be happy okay?

Emerson is not a fan of it. He's not about violence or bloodshed and while he doesn't feel nauseated by the sight of blood because he considers it to be natural that humans bleed, he is uneasy about the ramifications of it and whether someone's hurt or why they got hurt, so on and so forth. He can ignore the impulse if he tries hard enough but fretting is really what he does best when he sees blood.

As a teacher, Emerson got really good at pairing faces and names together really fast because nothing hurts a kindergartener's feelings more than their teacher not knowing who they are. So, to be fair, Emerson is very good at both, but he's probably better at knowing a face than he is a name because at some point all the names start merging together but a face to him is always pretty distinctive.

Emerson had an easy bake set and was the Pro easy bake master chef. He always made his parents and his sisters 'brownies' that weren't actually too edible (he did get a lot better, thank God) and was super content just to play on the set all day instead of the video games or the snazzy bike his dad got him. Eventually he outgrew the easy bake kitchen but he still has very fond memories of it - though he remembers his food as being good...It was not.

For all that Emerson is, he's pretty naive. He's seen war and yet he still wants to believe in the best for everyone. So he trusts people fairly easily, especially if they play to his emotions in any way and whatever their saying doesn't go against his fundamental beliefs. Once hurt by a person though, Emerson's trust is fairly hard to gain back and while he'd never entirely shut a person out (because that's not something he's inclined to do) he is distant and it's honestly hard to communicate with him because he tends to shy away.

Oh Lord. Emerson adores children. He literally teaches kindergarten and babysits and volunteers to run a little league soccer division. He thinks they're the most precious aspect of humanity and will do whatever he can to protect their innocence within reason. He knows kids need to grow up at some point, but he's always inclined to shelter them from the horrific parts of life (war, hate crimes, etc). Emerson really just adores how honest children are with everyone and everything - no inhibitions and just adventurous and curious. However, he isn't as into teenagers because he thinks that they can be rather cruel.

Honestly, depends on the situation. While a captain in the US Navy, Emerson handled confrontation and harsh criticism very well. He dealt with situations very diplomatically and from a more objective angle than anything else. Unfortunately, in other cases, he's a bit of a sensitive guy. He doesn't really like confrontation and would rather run away from the whole situation unless it really needs to be handled.

There was one time that Emerson brought home a dog without asking his parents or his sister and kind of just...kept the dog in his room for the longest time and tried to keep him a secret from everyone in the house. It didn't work out. And yes, that is the worst thing that Emerson has ever done - or what he considers to be the worst thing. In reality, he has shot people down in combat, but like....it's all relative.
cirilla
Orange Belt

Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:44 am

─────────────────────────
CALLISTA DYANI WARD
─────────────────────────
                Callista is an only child. Part of her is glad that she is, but another longs to have some sort of family member that she is close to. The closest person that she considered a sibling was her best friend, Mary-Magdalene. The one thing that the two of them had in common were absent families, so where they lacked in familial love and support, they made up for it with their friendship and sisterhood. Through every hurdle, Mags has been there for Callie, be it to hug her or bring a bottle of tequila.

Her mother was the only family member that was constant in her life. While her father worked, her mother stayed home with her. The woman was an English professor at the nearby university and adored Greek literary works, which she read to Callista in place of children's stories. Callista's name means "the most beautiful" in Greek, so that further reflects her mother's love for Greek literature and culture. She was close with the woman who supported emotionally and mentally throughout her life until the time of her death.

Practically nonexistent. Because of his line of work as a business man, he often traveled──consequently, that meant that he was hardly ever home. He supported Callista and her mother for years financially, but Callista never remembered her parents having a loving relationship. The times that her father was home, he never truly gave his attention to them. He was not a loving husband or a father; only a financial support. That was it.

Her mother's death. Just shortly before her first college semester began, her mother suffered a fatal heart attack right in front of her. The doctors weren't able to save her mother. It all happened so fast that Callista never even got a chance to process it. One second they were at the hospital, and the next she stood at her mother's funeral, staring impassively at the flower-adorned casket while people around her sobbed. Her father just took her home, hugged her, then told her to call him if she needed anything from him. By that, he meant money to support herself. She also had college. Work. An education to focus on. So, she moved along. Never gave her heart a moment to grieve. But, by doing so, she was only postponing the inevitable, and she dreaded the day that the glass floor shattered underneath her feet .She couldn't just pause life so she can have a moment to grieve. The carousel never stopped turning, after all.

Some change. Miniatures. Cigarettes. Lots of condoms. She doesn't carry around anything she wouldn't need on a night out.

Given most nights she throws back tequila until she blacks out, her sleep is often dreamless. On nights she goes to bed sober, though, she often dreams of her mother. Specifically of her mother reading a book to her, as she did throughout Callista's childhood.

To succeed. Although damaged, Callista was ambitious. She wanted to rise and excel, partly so her father would notice her for fucking once. Most of all, she wanted to do well by her mother but knew deep down that her mother wouldn't condone what Callista does outside of her studies.

Not at all. She was a clumsy child and often got herself cut up and bruised, so blood hasn't bothered her.

Names, but only of the people she considered worthy of their name being remembered.

A large plush otter, a gift from her mother for her 5th birthday. The otter plush was practically the size of her at that time and served as her valiant protector from the monsters under her bed. Fifteen years later, that same otter had its own spot on her bed. Otis the Otter was worn out and had a few sloppily patched up rips in his arms, but she never got rid of him and still slept with him.

Not quick whatsoever. Callista is a rose with far too many thorns and doesn't intend to expose herself to people that may end up fucking her over. She'd seen how disastrous it had been to her best friend, who opened herself far too much to the wrong people, and did not want to be destroyed like that. Instead, she focused on herself and did not let herself be dependent on others. Friendships were kept at an arm's length at least.

Devil spawn. Absolutely detests them and cannot stand them whatsoever. The one time that she babysat for a friend, she ended up handing the infant over to her then boyfriend, whom she called to come over and save her. She has not handled kids since then.

Depends whether or not it is worth her energy. Normally she simply shrugs it off or rolls her eyes, but sometimes she can and will bite. She doesn't give two fucks about what people think of her, never has. Because she knew that she was above them either way. Her pride made her immune to criticism. When a nerve is stepped on, however, she has no qualms about bringing people down to their knees.

What she continuously does. Every other night, she drinks until she can't remember what she did that night, the only evidence she went out being waking up in someone else's bed. No matter how many times she wakes up sick and exhausted, she proceeds to do the same the next night or the one after that. She knew, deep down, that by no means would her mother be proud of what she did, but this was a cycle that Callista was too scared to break, even if she wanted to. She could not face the inevitable grief that would some day rip into her, so in order to keep it at bay, she drank. Little did she consider that she was only destroying herself by doing this.