AS Afflatus: Issue Eight

Where you can find all published issues of the Advanced Scribes Afflatus, our very own newsletter!

Did you read the ‘Reminders & Point System’ post on page 2?

Yes
94%
No
6%

Total votes: 34
zireael
Yellow Belt
House: Sagacitas

character interviews──mary-magdalene

Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:50 am

Image_
1. Is there anyone dependent on your character? How and why?
"Callie. She's got no one. Piece of shit of a father won't even acknowledge her as his own daughter. Might as well be an orphan."
2. Is there anyone your character is dependent on? How and why?
"Well, there was a girl that apparently gave a fuck about me once. Made the mistake of thinking that she would always be there, so uh...Callie's the one I depend on. She's been there for me through every shit show I ever managed to get myself into. When I don't have a home, she gives me one. When I'm shooting shit into my system, she's the one that takes care of my ass to make sure I wake up. She's my Ride or Die."
3. How seriously does your character take the words ‘I love you’?
"As if that shit means anything anymore."
She does not take it seriously by any means. After her heart got crushed by the one person she truly loved with all her being, she gave love the Bird and has refused to let anyone in ever since.
4. What does your character think will happen to them once they die?
"When we die, we die. That's it."
5. Does your character feel like they deserve what they want or that they must earn it?
"Heh. I don't deserve shit."
6. How does your character treat people in service jobs (such as waiters)?
Unlike Callie, Mags is the one that will definitely give the people in service jobs a shit time.
7. Has your character had a bad experience with an animal? What was it and how do they feel towards that animal?
"I assumed a friend's cat was friendly. Long story short, I've got a scar on my arm and hate cats."
8. How does your character behave around people they like or want to impress?
She doesn't strive to impress. When she's interested in a lay, though, she is a shameless flirt.
9. How does your character behave around people they dislike?
"Oh, I make sure they know I don't fucking like them."
10. How does your character handle criticism?
Plays it off like she's unaffected, but certain shit gets under her skin.
11. Describe a scenario in which your character feels extremely uncomfortable.
Being face-to-face with the girl that screwed her over or being constantly reminded of her. Although she is over her, so to speak, the scars left behind are permanent and they show.
12. Describe a scenario in which your character feels extremely comfortable.
"Tequila in hand and dancing the night away in Callista's living room."
13 & 14. What influence did your character’s father/mother have on them?
She was dropped off at a fire station as an infant, so she does not know who her real parents are. She was pissed at them, though, and bitter that they did not have the courage to at least put her up for adoption. Mags has bounced between too many foster homes to count and has been a force that cannot be tamed. Imprisoned for drug possession and even assault, Mags' record was far from clean like Callista's was. It was a surprise the two of them were even as close as they were. Needless to say, an absence of biological parents and shitty foster homes have rendered Mags careless, bitter, and unafraid to shoot first, ask questions later.
15. What would your character’s spirit animal be and why?
A crow. They were known to symbolize intelligence, fearlessness, audaciousness, but they were also seen as a manipulative trickster, mischievous. All the qualities that perfectly encompass who she was.
Last edited by zireael on Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grengirl
Bronze Belt

Prompt submission

Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:05 pm

• Billy lay in the small dark room, he was curled into a protective ball while he awaited his new fate. Wondering what this new man would want from him. He never expected what was about to happen. This man didn't want to take from him, didn't want hurt him just make him better. Billy had long ago lost the ability to trust he'd been hutt, used and abandoned over and over in his young life and knew little beyond pain and hunger.

"I need you to remove your shirt Billy. " Came the strong deep voice he would one day learn to trust. This was followed by a low whistle. Not wolfish, not like the ones that send chills up and down his spine. It was different this time. "show me your scars."

Shirt already off Billy now hesitated. The coyote shifter tilted his head in confusion. But.. why? He honestly didn't understand why anyone would want to see the ugly scars that littered his body. Cigarette burns, cuts from knives, whippings, from being bound too tightly either to prevent escape or worse. Some were just tears in skin from beatings that has become excessive. On his left side was some poorly healed road rash form jumping from a moving truck and flubbing the landing.

"I want to see how many times you needed me, and I wasn't there for you" Fingers tracing some of the older scars. "you have been through so much haven't you? I promise I'll be here for you now. Your safe here. Really safe. I promise kiddo. I know you don't know me yet and I doubt you trust me now or will for a good long while but I do hope you'll believe me in time Billy. This room is yours now. I'll bring you some food soon. You look half starved kid. I don't even want to think what you had to do to get food out there. "

The man was right it took Billy a long while to trust it was weeks before he would even make eye contact with the kind older man. Months before he stopped cowering everytime he thought even for a second he had displeased his keeper. After seven months had passed he looked and felt better, his weight was back in a normal range for his height, his skin had proper colour to it again instead of almost looking grey but the scars on his body though refused to fade so Billy hid them as best he knew how. Long sleeves, jeans and a jacket.

A jacket he wore everywhere even when it was too cold for such a light jacket. This had been Billy's first Midwestern winter and one of a handful of times he had seen snow. He hadn't wandered this far North often and had always retreated back south when the leaves had begun to change. Now was different however he hadn't been allowed to go back south. He'd been too sick and he had been weaker than he ever remembered feeling; fever had wracked his frail body not long after and he had not even noticed the winter taking the grass and hiding it away.

Billy remembered allot of soups at first and asking for fries but only getting more soup. "I don't think your body can handle that right now kiddo. When your doing better I'll take you out to eat okay?" The soft voice had replied in a tone that indicated arguing with it would be pointless. Billy learned the man was often away at night and on one if those night he had made a attempt at escape fearing that this scenario was just another trap he had fallen into. Shifted he had made it back into the town proper before collapsing and changing back. It had been one of the coldest nights that year and though he wasn't surprised to reawaken in a hospital bed he was to see who was at his side.

"You still don't trust me do you? I don't blame you there but I told them you been staying at my place for months now, that you'd been in a bad place and I'd been helping you get better. I'm actually a nurse here, in this ward even. They brought you up to psyche thinking you meant to hurt yourself out there. You didn't did you? No. Good. I'll start having to take you out now I guess. Wasn't sure you were ready but this proves you are. " Trough some convincing Billy got to leave in the morning with the man.

Why are you risking so much for me? Came the small voice from the back of the jeep.

"Because you deserve it. Just like you deserve to be safe and happy. Don't go forgetting that neither. "
angelofwarfare
Purple Belt
House: Vipera

Fly Me To The Moon

Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:43 am

song inspo.
When someone’s heart breaks, so does a piece of our world;
this creates fissures, valleys, and even cracks in the pavement.
Tell me the story behind The Grand Canyon.
(1674 w.)
xxxx
spaceThe day of their wedding ceremony was going have the element of austere grandeur, and a day in which such a festivity will be eternal flowing off the lips of the elders to their children and inscribed in the pages of the books. The season was spring, with the vibrant and local fauna in full bloom to paint the colors of earth's palette. Strings of ruby red roses were going to flow from the columns of a crisp white granite gazebo. It was a symbolization of their love. The rose was the first item that the prince of earth offered to the princess of the moon. It was the beginning of something beautiful with their escapades to the garden whenever they sought to evade irksome troubles like politics. He never did forget the first time that he laid eyes on her. It was any other normal day. There was not a single cotton cloud in the baby blue skies above. The rays of the sun gently kissed his skin, and soft winds brushed against his form to save himself from the annoyance of perspiration in a uniform that was infamous for retaining heat. Days like these where his instructors and tutors wished for him to be cooped up inside and tend to his studies on a block schedule made trips to this garden a slice of paradise. He wasn't expecting to see an unannounced guest here in these gardens though. He has heard about her and her people. From the words of travelers and other noble-blooded individuals, the people from the moon were graced with beauty. No beauty of earth could compare to them.Their facial features were soft with the kindness and friendliness unanticipated from them, and they have attained a youthfulness were they'd stop aging at a set point in their life. It was insane to speak to an elder of the moon, and not a single wrinkle marred their features. Her hair fell past her shoulders with half of it styled in these braids intertwined with ribbon. The texture to her hair was reminiscent to silk, and the coloration reminded him of the waning silver moon reflected upon a still lake. Her skin tone was porcelain like the dolls that the village children would have tucked underneath their arms. Her lips were plush and red. Red enough to make the petals of the rose jealous. These were striking features that would make any man swoon and weak at the knees. No doubt, she was beautiful. Though, what made his heart nearly stop was when the rustle of her dress reached his ears and she turned to face him with an inquisitiveness. She was puzzled as to whom may have been watching over her. Shortly after, a warm smile pulled at the corner of her lips with her eyes twinkling like stars. Before he approaches her for the very first time, he plucks a single red rose from a nearby bush. His gloved hand extends with the rose in his care, and he offers it to her with a warming smile returned to her. Ever since then, everything has changed. For the good and the worst.

spaceHer visitations were more frequent. Whenever they felt like they needed to get away from the life of the palace, they'd make their rendezvous to the gardens. From there, hours would be spent with the adventures led by the prince. He showed her the wonders to his own world. A laugh would spur from him, whenever her endless curiosity like that of a child would never be sated and how her tone of voice exemplified her excitement to see and be apart of something new. He had stolen two horses from the stable yard in the palace for one of their adventures to a village nestled in a valley that rested underneath the shadows of the mountain range. He forged a crown of wildflowers fitting for a princess such as her. There were other times where he'd make a ruckus with the staff members of the palace, and the duo would simply laugh their hearts out while one of the maids chased them with a feather duster. Such happiness radiated off of them. With a promise of the rose, soon marriage was brought to the table by the rulers of both kingdoms. A union that would make an imprint on history. Two kingdoms, both moon and earth, would be as one. At one time, both prince and princess shared their dreams as they laid on their backs in the quiet atmosphere of a meadow. She spoke of wearing a traditional dress derived from her kingdom, but it would be bathed in white like that of the moon. Roses would be braided into her hair, or she'd find some way to implement roses into the ceremony. Eventually such a talk drifted to their life at the palace. Of how she'd live with him in the earthen kingdom, and that some day, she would show him the stars. She would show him the stars that danced in the night skies of earth, and she'd bring him to the moon where her kingdom resided. She'd also show him Mars, Venus, Jupiter, and the other planets. Much like how he has shown him the wonders to his world, she wanted to do the same. She continued on about making their kingdoms a better place. A small talk about their children was made, only for them to laugh it off. Perhaps, it was too early to even be thinking of children when they had the shoes of kings and queens to fill. Yet, they were ready for it with the philosophy to take such trivialous things one step at a time. A king was not made in a single day. It was expected of him when they came on the fortnight.

spaceThey too, came from the stars. A malicious entity that was sealed away from the far reaches of this system. A great evil is what the moon people described it to be. It was a ghastly being that could take the shape of others. The traits of it was jealousy, greed, envy, and wrath. It consumed and fed off of lifeforms such as the people of the moon and of earth. Its presence was parasitic. It scoured for its prey like a mighty lioness stalking unsuspecting warthogs. It stumbled across a lone young woman of earthly origins. In her heart, jealousy swelled and envy clouded her judgement. Desires of being at the prince's side were unparalleled. Such a desire led to the gathering of others. Others that despised the union of the kingdom of the moon and the earth. The gathering of others were the breadcrumbs that led to rebellion and ultimately war. On a moonlit night, the rebellion came with weapons and armor forged from their own smiths. Blood was shed and was pale in the moonlight, as both the people of the moon and of the earth were slain with steel swords. Shrieks of terror bounded off the elongated corridors of the earth kingdom. Who would commit such an atrocious act? Why in a time of peace, would their be a gruesome change of scenery? The protests of the guards requesting for the prince to take the passageway underneath the castle were blatantly ignored. His feet carried him to the gardens with sword drawn in one hand,and his free hand used to navigate through the thick and rushing crowds trying to elude the danger. His heart pounded against his chest with panic arising in his thoughts. Thoughts of where his princess may be, and whether or not she was safe. He finds her amongst roses in the garden with her eyes staring up at the night skies. Her sapphire blue eyes are glossy and unblinking. In death, even she is beautiful.The grip on the pommel of his sword weakens, and with a soft thud, the sword drops onto the emerald grasses. Hot tears streak down his cheeks with his heart clenched and squeezed with the distraught emotions washing over him. For the moments of disbelief, he stands there with his throat closing up. He blinks his eyes a few times to clear his vision, as he drops to his knees beside her still body. A gentleness is shown as he gathers her into his arms. He closes her eyes for the last time that she'd see this world. A cry shudders and escapes from him, with his face nestling near her neck. The sobs came shortly after with every inhalation of oxygen burning at his lungs. How could they take her away from him? What did she do to deserve such a fate? She committed no wrong doing. He wished that it would have been him to met the end of the blade, if it meant that she should live.

space His cries are quelled when he hears soft footsteps against the uneven terrain. A woman with obsidian ringlets rounds the rose bushes with a bloodied sword gripped in her hand. An eerie smile brushes her lips, and an infatuated look is shone in her eyes. "My prince..." she speaks with the droplets of blood that covered her cheeks smearing when her free hand brushes against it. At that frame of time, he did not know what happened. Fury and hatred burned at his core. He held her close to his own body, and a blood curdling scream ripped from out of his throat. A brilliance of light blossomed at the center of his chest, before the muscles of his body weakens and he falls onto his side. Crevices and scarring scourged the earth. Canyons are birthed, and the trenches of the oceans are created. Some of the once blooming and tropical oasis transform into unhabitable dunes of sand or the freezing hells of the Artic.His life essence fades with his heart slowly beating until nothingness could be felt. Eyes linger on the woman that he promised to marry, before his eyes too close for good. The world ends with a broken promise.

angelofwarfare
Purple Belt

Interview for Selene

Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:44 am

Image Character Background
An older character revived for the 2018 OnexOne competition

Hidden text.

"Other than my A.I. by the name of Eli, then the answer is a 'No'."
"No. I learned years ago to trust no other than yourself. This includes placing my dependency on another."
"I umm...adore you."
Selene doesn't get attached easily. Certain conditions has to be met.
"Simple. I'm dead. That's it. It's the circle of life. I don't believe in the after life."
5. Does your character feel like they deserve what they want or that they must earn it?
"You have to earn what you want. Or in my case, I take what I want.I don't let anyone or anything stop me, and neither should you. Things aren't going to be handed to you on a silver plate, honey."
"They are people just like us. Why treat them any differently?Be respectful to them. They have to earn a living just like us."
7. Has your character had a bad experience with an animal? What was it and how do they feel towards that animal?
"I've never encountered a hostile animal before. All I've ever dealt with were humans and some extraterrestrial folk. Now those scumbags I dealt with should be wearing a muzzle."  
"Sweet heart, I don't need to impress anyone. What am I? Up for sale or something? As for behaving around the people that I like? I act like myself around them. No fake masks or anything of the sort."
"I don't like you. End of story. What do you expect me to do? Act like a child by blowing a gasket whenever you show up around the corner? You're not even worth my time."
"Listen, sugar. I'll hear you out. It's a whole other story whether I give a damn or not."
"I'm god awful at anything such as public speeches. Please don't make me do it. If you are expecting some motivational speech before a great battle like what they do in the movies, then you are in for a treat."
"Sitting in my pajamas with a glass of wine in one hand, and sitting on the couch watching some good old fashion television."
13. What influence did your character’s father have on them?
I don't really know him all too well. He was some other humanoid race. Ran off when my mother found out she was pregnant with me. I have inherited one of his abilities. Not sure if it is a good thing or a bad thing that I have a trait of someone that abandoned someone in need. I think he is a coward."
14. What influence did your character’s mother have on them?
"I don't know my mother. All I really know about her is that she is human, and has passed away when I was only two years of age. Supposedly, she was a hard-worker, and wished that she had another choice than to give me up.For that, I respect her."
"This pretty kitty has claws. Therefore, a tiger or lioness is suitable."
angelofwarfare
Purple Belt

Interview for Florence

Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:45 am

Image Character Background
An offsite character from a mythical medieval setting.
Hidden text.

"My animal companion who goes by the name of Thea. She is an equine with a snow white pelt. I also have two ravens by the name of Phobos and Deimos. For their servitude, I do my best as to take care of them whether they are healthy or suffering from an ailment."
"The forest in which I dwell in. I rely on its resources from day to say tasks. While I can move on from such a place if needed be, though I'd be terribly sorrowful if I had to part from such a magnificent place."
"They are the three words that mean a whole lot. When someone dear to you utters such words, every ounce of it is poured from their heart."
"The day of judgement will come, and my actions will be glimpsed at. I believe that there is paradise far beyond this realm for those that have done good throughout their lifetime."
"You must earn what you desire. What good is it if things are simply given to you? What shall you learn from it and the value of such things?"
Rarely does Florence make visitations to the cities. If she does, she treats them with the upmost respect, despite the differences in the caste system.
"I have had a few experiences with animals that behaved in a hostile mannerism. They all have their reasoning whether they were trying to protect another such as a nearby nest, they are injured or ill and use it as a defense mechanism, etc."
"I act as myself. Why put on a mask of another and act as such?It is unrealistic to think that you shall be friends with every person that you come across. There are some people that have different views and perspectives than you.I do have my highest tier of respect to my Queen though. That much is expected of me."
"I ignore and evade them whilst trying to figure out what their perspective of the situation is. Everyone has their reason, and sometimes, it can be resolved by conversing with the other individual."
"Every day, there is an opportunity to learn something new. I know myself that I too, have much learning to do. I shall listen to the constructive criticism and see where I can implement it to further improve myself."
"When I am in the spotlight.I know that I am different. It is expected because I am a fae. Many other races are judgmental of our race, due to our infamous reputation of speaking in riddles to trick another. I am nervous in the company of those that do not see me as an equal."
"It is when I am helping another that requires my aid through the usage of will-o-wisps to lead them to my abode. I offer them my advice, and help them to the best of my ability."
"Unlike the concept that a woman must tend to their home, cook and clean the household, and care for their children, my father felt the opposite. He taught me all that he knew about the craft of a witch doctor. I never did forget his teachings, and the hours he has spent on these valuable lessons."
"My mother was a kind, old soul. She welcomed any soul to her home. I remember the delicious pastries and the mouth-watering soups that she would make and share with the neighbors."
"Some wandering souls referred me to be an owl. A wise and watchful spirit of the forest. I believe it is fitting."
Meraki
Black Belt
House: Halcyon

Character Interview One

Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:22 pm

─────────── Malerai ──────────
              • 1. Is there anyone dependent on your character? How and why? Malerai has a small, beautiful boyfriend Astrel who is the equivalent of a permanent child that became heavily dependent of him. Malerai essentially becomes both a father and boyfriend to him over time and usually keeps him out of danger and away from corruption.
                2. Is there anyone your character is dependent on? How and why? Though he'd never admit it, he's also in turn quite dependent on Astrel. In caring for the boy, he's found a huge reason to live what with the Shadowfell constantly draining at his soul and trying to take him as it does the rest of his kind, so without Astrel he feels he has no true reason to live.
                3. How seriously does your character take the words ‘I love you’? Considering it took him months to finally fess up the words to his boyfriend after finally teaching him what it truly means to love and thus going on to show him that daily... so seriously his seriousness could cut a bitch. He's literally only said it to Astrel ever.
                4. What does your character think will happen to them once they die? ....His soul will be eaten and consumed by the Shadowfell, harnessing him as an energy source while making him into the equivalent of a wraith which will inevitably turn on his friends.
                5. Does your character feel like they deserve what they want or that they must earn it? There is little he actually wants in life, but he's heavy in the belief that everything is earned rather than just handed to you so he'd likely argue that everyone has to earn what they want in life.
                6. How does your character treat people in service jobs (such as waiters)? Malerai?? In a service job?? He'd rather die than be in such a position so if he were ever stuck as one, I fear for the poor people he's serving.
                7. Has your character had a bad experience with an animal? What was it and how do they feel towards that animal? It's hard to exactly pinpoint one experience outside of the idea that Astrel likely tries to bring home various rabid animals to which Malerai has to deal with, but there is also the likelihood he's been viciously attacked by all kinds of creatures wandering about the different planes. Though he was turned into a partial tiger once by a sorcerer so that was likely the worst instance. I think overall he isn't too fond of animals but tolerates a few for his boyfriend XD
                8. How does your character behave around people they like or want to impress? He's kind of an asshole but when he likes you, you'll know it through the way he protects you and doesn't go out of his way to make snarky comments about you. Malerai can also get to a point where he shows affection, but typically that is just with Astrel and if he actually hugs anyone else, it may be worrying.
                9. How does your character behave around people they dislike? Usually he tries to kill people he doesn't like, though if your name is Verxus he angrily tolerates you and makes it his mission to always pick on you and make shit difficult.
                10. How does your character handle criticism? Unless you're Astrel, you won't last two seconds trying to criticize him. He handles it pretty damn poorly considering he thinks he's the oldest and wisest man ever who can handle anything.
                11. Describe a scenario in which your character feels extremely uncomfortable. ...Someone corrupting Astrel via description of what an orgy is or really any sexual thing that leads the little monster to ask Malerai to try it later. It kills him, lmao.
                12. Describe a scenario in which your character feels extremely comfortable. Literally just private snuggle time with Astrel. He rarely feels genuinely comfortable considering the impending doom of the world and his likely demise, but that sweet monster boy makes him really happy.
                13. What influence did your character’s father have on them? He's really old and doesn't remember his family at all so there is no telling.
                14. What influence did your character’s mother have on them? Same as the above. He doesn't know his parents nor does he care as he believes family is made rather than what you are born into.
                15. What would your character’s spirit animal be and why? A tiger. The sorcerer mentioned earlier turned him into an animal that greatest reflected his personality and considering he's a broody, solitary shithead predator, a tiger seemed fitting.
algorythm
Black Belt

AS Afflatus: Character Interview - Souma Ichigo

Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:58 pm

• 1. Is there anyone dependent on your character? How and why?
    the boyfriend: akiyama yogi. a fellow insomniac, they've healed each other until the angst bit of their relationship rip and comforted each other more than anyone else ever has. it's a common thing to sleep, in the literal sense, together because neither one can fall asleep any other way. a symbiotic sort of thing, yogi relies on ichigo heavily, but that goes both ways. someone trying to build up yogi's confidence, and keep him from hurting or wanting to hurt himself, ichigo isn't quite a saviour, but he is someone his boyfriend is dependant on.

he doesn't like it, but yogi is definitely ichigo 's lifeline in turn. nothing to do with yogi or even ichigo's personality, it's more the villain (occasional anti-hero) feels he doesn't deserve a rock, much less a sweet one like yogi. but yes, as they became friends, and then as they began dating, even when ichigo realized who they were to each other outside their happy little bubble, yogi is the only person ichigo knows he can lean on. the only bit of brightness in ichigo's life, the blond keeps the nightmares away, and because of his powers, that means a lot.

as phobos, no. but then that's his stage personality and he's kind of a dick then so. as just plain flower shop owner ichigo, he takes it very very seriously. because he sees himself as a blight within the community, powers or not, he's got that typical "I don't deserve you or anyone" mindset. while it's not always him solely thinking that, as phobos of course there are others, but mostly ichigo is the one who think it all on his own. others don't know him as phobos, others don't know his power and the aftereffects, this means ichigo refuses to be close to people and "love" impossible. yogi made that rule a little difficult to follow.

hell. if not, nothingness. he has no hope for his future, alive or dead. ichigo doesn't even know which he'd prefer. he believes he deserves some punishment for the things he's done, but also the effects of his powers are already doing that for him.

definitely feels like they have to work for it, although ichigo isn't quite sure what would balance out his current amassed sin.

very nice. he's that sort of sugary sweet person to people he doesn't know, and phobos sure as hell isn't stopping by mcdonalds, so whatever interactions he does have are pleasant unless there's a reason for them not be. even then, he'll probably just have some underlying ice to that usual gentleness he presents.

through nightmares, some fear he's collected have related to animals, but for the most part he's fine. the only time he's felt true fear is through his ability or through the aftereffect nightmares, so not really.

protective of those he likes, decent to those he'd like to impress? probably just his usual self, because he doesn't have many he'd like to impress, plus it's kinda hard when you can sense every fear a person has ever had. if he cares about you, he'll give shallow niceness because ichigo thinks its best you stay away from him, especially if he cares.

fuck you laced with icy decency. he's rarely rude out of costume, but if you're rude, you'll be able to tell. you'll have no proof, but it's the look in his eyes and the way none of his nice words are really nice.

accepts it because he's usually already thought that through or already thinks it himself. if not, he'll take it in stride, but not really. he doesn't have an inferiority complex or anxiety, it's more an acceptance of the "bad person" he "knows" himself to be.

every single time he activates his ability. every time he tries to go to sleep alone. every time he fights. every time he sees a person he's used his powers on. the list goes on, and it's not short at all. people tend to make him uncomfortable, unfortunately for him they're unavoidable.

in yogi's arms (or the other way around), in bed in either of their apartments. they can talk or there can be music, just almost sleep or actual sleep if they're lucky. no one's in costume, no one has to get into costume, it just them, human, okay with things for once. he also feels pretty okay doing flower arrangements, they make people happy and they usually allow him to not think for a little while.

silent stoicism and that was it. ichigo isn't normally that way, but when faced with a person of power or a belittling adversary, that's what he reverts to.

his sweet personality as ichigo. a nice lady, if a little out of touch of what a child wants to hear. she's what kept him sane when he first discovered his sensory abilities. unfortunately that lasted nowhere near as long as he needed to keep perfectly whole.

mmm a jaguar/panther or some other nocturnal solitary animal. he's powerful and leads a life best avoided. fine in passing, but not if alone and cornered, you have to be careful around him. it's not a question of attitude or temper, it's instant that will wind up with ichigo hurting you. a person who can't be blamed, but can't be left blameless.
Grengirl
Bronze Belt

Prompt

Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:00 pm

• When I was a young thing I used to sleepwalk out into the wood and commune with the wise spirits there. The first night after my first proper heartbreak I came to the lakeside and found the pinnacle of wisdom the old horned owl waiting there his bright yellow eyes slowly blinking as I approached. My own eyes still wet from tears shed before nodding off in exhaustion.

I thought I felt a tremor child; you should be more careful with your heart.

I looked up surprised at the comment so the wise one continued on.

Ah, of course you do not know. Silly humans always forgetting the most important tales but remembering the less significant ones. You just sit on that stone there child and I'll tell you but in return you must tell others when you see their heart is aching. We don't want the world to crumble now do we? No child of course we don't.

His voice now kind as I set on the aforementioned stone and watched him fluff out his feather before resettling himself on the branch.

The great powers, or as humans often refer to them, gods, were very good of their creations but humans were among their most prized as they had a dash of their own divinity. We spirits warned them that this could prove very dangerous to the world but were unheaded. In time you see the gods came to understand we spirits were correct but it was a little late then your kind had already spread to every corner of this world and without knowing your true power. You are a very impressive race of beings I will give you that.

Some of you are born with more divinity than others, you are one or we could not speak with you child, nor you with us. Neither would you be safe traversing here in that trance like state. You do know you do not have to bring your clumsy human body with you don't you?.. I guess I will teach you more about that another night.
    letting out a long sigh of what sounded like disappointment.

Humans, like yourself, with greater divinity are as powerful as some of the spirits and may even interact directly with the ones you call gods as well as us spirits. At one time this was far more common. A child not much different in age than yourself but many many years past fell in love with one of the stronger spirits. Trickster like spirit who did not feel the same but enjoyed the attention and company of the young human. Frequently teasing the poor young thing. When a night came that the child went out to meet their beloved and found them entangled with another spirit the truth and reality came tumbling down hard in the poor human child. At first little was thought of the minor tremors felt through the lands but as they became more severe and parts of the land began to give way the spirits sought out the cause finding the poor heartbroken human in a pool of their own tears and wasting from the heartache.

Inconsolable the child cried and mourned while the spirits could do nothing to stem the tide of earth shattering tremors. When the greater spirits of death came to release the child of pain a huge cavernous carcase had been etched into the earth. I believe you call it the Grand Canyon now? No matter its name it is a testimony to the power of the human heart and a warning left to remind both humans and spirits yo guard our heart against those whom do not care about our feelings or best interests and only their own.

We spirits watch over you you know child. That one you cry over was no better than the trickster in the story and is not worth your tears.
ichor.
Archivist
House: Halcyon Keeper

AS Afflatus: Issue Eight - grand canyon

Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:08 am

x Image

words: 2364
characters: savvy & noir's riley
              • Every heartbreak leads to a piece of the world breaking. Some are small - like the cracks in the pavement - while others are large. The largest by far is the one that resulted in The Grand Canyon. This didn’t happen all at once. Not at all. It happened slowly, over time, until the girl who had her heart broken completely fell apart. Again and again, she’d had her heart broken by the same girl, yet things would mend. They would reunite and things would be okay. A little better than before. This...this is the story of a once overly optimistic, enthusiastic girl named Savannah and the bitter, angry girl she had loved, Riley.

The two had met under...unconventional circumstances. The world had been taken over by zombies, which was unconventional enough, but Savannah had right-hooked Riley square in the jaw upon their first run-in. In Savannah’s defense, she had been caught off guard and it had seemed like an excellent option to punch a zombie to buy herself enough time to run off. Luckily for her, she had not punched a zombie, but she had punched a woman. A very bitter, angry woman who had dragged her away and barricaded the two of them into one room just before a horde of zombies could overtake them.

Riley had not been pleased with the fact that she’d been punched and had made it very clear. She snapped at Savannah for making too much noise and threatened to put a bullet in her head should she irritate her too much. Of course, this didn’t stop Savvy from quipping and replying sarcastically about how she was none too thrilled about being stuck in the same room as the other woman overnight. Each had gone to far ends of the room and settled down with the plan of separating and going their own way the next morning, once the horde was gone and they were no longer in any sort of danger.

That night, Savannah had had one of her infamous nightmares. She couldn’t recall what it was about, but she remembered bolting upright with a terrified gasp as she normally did. Usually, her friends were right there to comfort her. Instead, she had one of the two dogs that the woman owned to cling onto and the grump of a woman that she found herself holed up with. The woman had snapped at her for her sudden movement and sound, informing her that she had nearly shot her. Shortly after, she declared they could finally leave the room and part ways - much to Savannah’s relief, which she made sure to emphasize with a retort. “Don’t wanna stick around you too long, either,” she’d said, in response to Riley expressing her eagerness to finally be rid of her.

Yet somehow, the two had ended up deciding to travel together. For whatever reason, Riley had agreed to accompany Savvy back to her compound. It had taken time and as time went on, Savvy grew fonder and fonder of the woman. She tried doing anything and everything she could to brighten the other’s spirits. Of course, more often than not, she seemed to fail and only irritate her further. But the times she got the woman to smile….they were worth it. Savannah would feel like she had accomplished something. No matter how small the smile was and no matter how hard Riley tried to suppress it, Savannah would take silent joy over the small victory.

And eventually, they reached her compound. Riley had had no intention of staying. She hated them, though Savannah really never understood why. The woman had been able to convince her new friend - well, they were more than friends by then, though they hadn’t put any official labels on it - to stay with them. She hadn’t expected to convince the woman, seeing as she was infuriatingly stubborn. Yet, Riley stayed and their relationship grew stronger and they became closer.

Savannah had always invested much more in the relationship. She was typically the more affectionate of the two and the one who showed her feelings much more than her other half. At some point, they had started acknowledging each other as the other’s girlfriend. Things were doing fine between the two of them. Of course, they’d had ups and downs before reaching the compound...but they were working on things. Things really did seem to be doing better.

And then, one day Savannah’s insecurity flared up. Something she had never cared for, never paid any attention to….and it had suddenly flared up. Perhaps it was her fault for her broken heart. She had allowed her insecurity to get the best of her. She’d never cared too much before about how she looked or about her ‘assets.’ Yet...when a bustier woman than she started paying more attention than was usual to Riley, Savvy grew insecure. The woman would often flirt with her girlfriend and would drape herself over Riley, and Riley wouldn’t really acknowledge her or get her to move away. Savannah had told herself that she was being ridiculous, that there really was no reason for her to be insecure.

Yet that one jab Riley had made at her, long ago, had gotten under her skin. She’d made a comment about preferring bustier, curvier women. Savannah was the complete opposite of that. She was skinny thanks to small rations and flat chested. It had never bothered her before, but for some reason with Riley, it did. Rather than say anything and make a scene, Savannah had excused herself from the bonfire they’d gathered around, using the excuse of feeling a little sick and tired, and left for the night before she could be questioned.

Once she’d gotten back to the room she had shared with Riley, she changed out of her jeans and top into her pajamas, pausing in putting her top on as she caught sight of herself in the mirror. She stared at her reflection, her hands reaching up to cup her breasts as she frowned and stared down at them. She knew Riley preferred bustier woman. She had said so herself. Savannah hadn’t ever worried about it too much...until then. She had stood there for a while, staring at her reflection, until she realized that Riley’s reflection stood behind her as well.

“What are you doing?” The question caught Savannah off guard and she shook her head, quickly shoving her top over her head.

“Nothing. I was just….looking at how thin I look,” she replied, with a shrug of her shoulders as she moved towards their shared bed and away from Riley.

The woman grabbed her, holding her against her. “You’re lying,” she accused. “You were doing something with your chest.”

“No I wasn’t.”

“You looked upset when you left, and just now.”

“I’m not upset. I’m just tired. Let me go, I just want to go to sleep, Riley,” Savannah insisted, not meeting her girlfriend’s eyes.

“Look me in the eyes and say you’re not upset and then I’ll believe you.”

She had fallen silent then. Tears welled in her eyes, blurring her vision, and before she knew it, she had broken down crying. Savannah tried to shove Riley’s arms away from her and get away, but the dark-haired woman’s arms only tightened around her, trapping Savannah against her. “I’m fine. I just want to sleep,” she said, voice weak. “Go back and enjoy yourself. You looked happy for once.”

“What do you mean?” Riley sounded confused, looking down at her crying girlfriend. She forced her to lift her head up, using her fingers to push her chin up. “Savannah, explain. Stop crying, I can’t see you cry,” she murmured, now cupping the girl’s face between her hands as she wiped at her tears with her thumbs.

She felt stupid. Vulnerable. Insecure. Things she didn’t really care about or paid much attention to, until she had met Riley. “You...that girl,” she said, hoping it was enough to explain.

“What girl?”

“The one who was all over you.”

“Oh. Her.” Riley chuckled then, as she realized who Savvy was referring to.

“It’s not funny.” Savannah sniffled, pushing the woman’s hands away from her face as she stepped away, only to be pulled back towards Riley.

“I don’t care about her at all. I care about you. I wouldn’t be here otherwise, right?”

Another sniffle and she averted her gaze to the side. She was embarrassed. Savannah couldn’t recall ever showing herself this weak to Riley. Or her friends. The worst either of them had seen of her was after she woke up screaming and crying from a nightmare. In response to Riley’s words, she only nodded.

“Let me guess. Your chest? I thought you didn’t care.”

“I don’t.”

“Listen, I don’t care about her chest size. Or yours.”

“You said you prefer bustier women.”

“That was just to jab at you.”

“Well, it worked,” Savannah grumbled, eliciting a chuckle from Riley as she enveloped her into a hug.

“Well I’m sorry. You usually swallow everything down that I throw at you. Let’s go to bed, hm?”

“Okay,” she mumbled.

And at that time, that had been the end of things. Things were fine between the two of them, though that same girl became a constant. She was always around, always finding an excuse to be near Riley. She was always finding a way to brush up against her, touch her, anything. She’d even gotten bold enough to wedge herself in between her and Savannah. And gradually, Savvy’s insecurity built back up. This time, however, Savannah had snapped at the girl who was interfering. Riley had defended her, which had of course upset Savannah. Yet, instead of continuing the fight, she’d simply stormed back to their room and Riley had followed after.

The woman told her that she needed to stop being insecure and that she’d been clinging onto her lately and needed to stop. The argument became heated between the two of them and hurtful things were said until Riley had shouted that she needed a break and would find another room to stay in. Needless to say, Savannah had been hurt.

’Fine, take a break,’ she’d snapped, voice bitter instead of calming herself down and apologizing as she normally would have.

Savannah had reacted poorly to the incident that night. She’d drank too much and had successfully numbed her emotions. Her judgement impaired, Savannah had started reciprocating flirtatious gestures and comments with a man until the two ultimately disappeared off to his room. When she woke the next morning, head pounding, and realizing what she’d done, regret and guilt had been quick to overcome her as she quickly gathered her things and hurried back to her room.

Within a week after that, things had calmed once more. Riley returned to Savannah and it hadn’t taken long for her to forgive the hot-headed, headstrong woman. It was a bad fight, that was all. Perhaps the worst they’d had. And things were fine. Savannah still had her bouts of insecurity, but she shoved them down, not wanting to chase Riley off again. She hated feeling insecure, having never truly experienced it until she met Riley. She wanted to impress her.

And then, within a month, things had fallen apart again. ’You whore,’ Riley had spat at her, the words dripping with venom and rage, though the hurt and betrayal were also evident to her. They had just returned from the clinic where the doctor had revealed Savannah was pregnant, after the woman had been experiencing bits of nausea and exhaustion, as well as vomiting. Savannah had been stunned. In disbelief. It had only been one night and she hadn’t slept with anyone else.

The woman was crying, trying to apologize to Riley and explain what had happened after their fight. Riley wouldn’t listen, however. She stormed around the room, gathering her things as she hurled insult and curses one after another at her. Bitch, whore, slut, cheater. She didn’t give Savannah a fighting chance to get a word in, her words cutting into Savannah and leaving her distraught.

“Where are you going?” Her voice was weak as she watched the woman storm around helplessly. There was no calming her, she knew that. Not now, at least.

“Away from you. Away from here. I’m leaving,” Riley snapped, voice bitter.

“Please. Don’t go. I need you.”

But, of course, Riley didn’t listen. She never did. It was rare. The woman was stubborn, even more so when she was angry. She’d left their room the same night, and by morning, she was gone from the compound. Savannah was miserable afterwards. Nonetheless, she did her best to keep her spirits up and look after herself for the sake of the baby’s health. But even that was taken from her. Eventually, the stress and poor conditions she lived under caught up with her and the baby had miscarried.

Things went downhill from there. Savannah had locked herself away in her room, barely coming out or letting her friends in to check on her. She came out when it was mandatory, numbly listened to the instructions and orders that were barked. She did her job and as soon as she was done, she went and crawled into bed. She’d become a shell of her former self. Her bright features had dulled significantly. Over time, her thin body became even thinner and she began wasting away until she could no longer be left in her room and had to be shifted to the clinic to be put under constant watch.

Her heart was broken. She spent many nights crying, angry at herself for letting things escalate. Angry at herself for being insecure and for making the mistake that night. Just one night and everything had deteriorated faster than she could try and salvage it. She was empty. Numb. Bitter about the fact that she’d put everything she had in the relationship with Riley and that it hadn’t taken very long for everything to shatter. Her cheerful nature had been broken in just a day, by one person alone. Riley.

And that is how the Grand Canyon came to be.
ichor.
Archivist
House: Halcyon Keeper

Re: AS Afflatus: Issue Eight - scars prompt

Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:15 am

x Image

words: 513
characters: juniper & city's bo
              • Juniper sat in bed with Bo, her arms draped around him while his head rested in her lap. He was in another one of his awful moods. Sometimes, she knew what had triggered it and knew how to cheer him up. Other times, she wasn’t sure what had happened and what she could do - especially if all her previous attempts failed and she was out of ideas. Her hand absently played with his hair, smoothing it back from his face. She didn’t like it when he got in these moods, especially when there seemed to be nothing she could do to help pull him out of whatever dark place his mind had dragged him to. Junie didn’t mind though.

The woman glanced down at him, a slight smile tugging at the corners of her lips. It was unnoticed by him, as he was staring ahead of him with blank stare. Her hand strayed from his hair, instead moving to his back to rub it in a comforting manner. Junie’s eyebrows furrowed and her lips tugged downwards slightly as her fingers brushed against raised skin. Automatically, Bo’s hand moved to push her hand away and she obliged, just for a moment.

“Bo, show me your scars,” she said, finally. Her hand didn’t move back towards the sleeve of his tank to pull it back from his shoulder to fully reveal the scar she had seen once before. She’d asked him about it before, back when they hadn’t known each other too well. Often, she forgot about it until her fingers brushed over the raised skin there. She’d never asked after it again.

“But...why?” He questioned, shaking his head. “You’ve already seen it once,” he reminded her. “I don’t want to talk about that one. Or any of them,” he told her, a stubborn edge in his voice. He moved away from her lap and sat up, sitting in front of her with his legs crossed.

“I know,” she responded, slowly. Junie reached out for his hand, placing it between both of hers. She stared at their hands for a few moments, her thumbs absently rubbing against the back of her boyfriend’s hand. Her eyebrows were furrowed together. “Don’t you think it’s weird? We’ve known each other for such a long time,” she murmured. It was only recently that Bo and Junie had learned of the fact that they’d actually met before high school, even. The two had been at her parents’ house and they’d been looking at childhood albums for whatever reason. There’d been a couple pictures of Junie sitting next to a dark haired kid. Upon her parents recounting the story of how she’d often complain about that boy bothering her, it had dawned on Bo that that was him sitting next to her.

“I know we didn’t know each other during the time…” she trailed off, shaking her head as she made a vague gesture at his shoulder. “During the time that happened, but I want to see how many times you needed someone - me - and I wasn’t there.”