AS Afflatus: Issue Thirteen

Where you can find all published issues of the Advanced Scribes Afflatus, our very own newsletter!

Moderator: Admin Aide

ichor.
Admin Aide
House: Halcyon Keeper

AS Afflatus - Issue 13 - Reminders & Point System

Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:18 am

Reminders Just a couple of reminders for the Afflatus! x
1. When nominating a writing piece for the Featured Writing, keep in mind that nominations should come from the Share Your Writing forum (or the Fanfiction forum). Nominations can also come from any prompt event held and from the NaNoWriMo event. Nominations can also come from house run prompt threads. As long as the nomination is not from a role-play forum, it is fair game. The purpose is to shine light on individuals' personal work and stories, rather than role-plays. Make sure to include a direct link to the post.

2. Please submit all of the following through the Google form, in order to make point keeping easier.
- Dear Stag Submissions
- Prompt Suggestions
- Featured Writing Nominations
- Anonymous Compliments and Critiques

3. When posting submissions to the thread (character interviews and prompts), please make sure the words Character Interview or Prompt are there in the title post. It's not a big deal if forgotten, however. Also, please post each character interview and prompt submission separately. If you submit three things, submit them all on separate posts for easier point keeping!

4. Remember, you can post up to two (2) character interviews per issue.

5. Please keep in mind the fact that we are not professional therapists when submitting your Dear Stags. We love offering tips and trying to help out, but do keep in mind that we are not professionals and some problems may be better discussed with trusted adults or professionals.

6. Going forward, at the end of the month I will post the following on the thread: "Any posts made after this will not count towards points." I will be trying to stay consistent with this and plan on doing this on the last day of every month by 11:30 PM CST time.
x Points System x Dear Stag Submission ……………………... 5 points
Featured Writing Nomination ……………… 5 points
Future Prompt Suggestion ……………….... 5 points
Compliment Submission ………………….... 5 points
Critique/Critique Piece Submission ……….. 5 points

Character Interview Submission ………… 10 points

Prompt Submission
0-500 words ………………………. 10 points
500-1000 words ………………….. 20 points
1000-2000+ words ……………….. 30 points

Activity Participation - will vary depending on level of difficulty
Gamora
Black Belt
House: Halcyon

Character Interview

Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:02 pm

────── (THAN NOTHING AT ALL) ──────
                • 1. Is your character a cat or dog person? Or neither? Why?
                  An animal person. Aubrey loves all animals, doesn't matter the species, and she certainly can't pick a favorite.
                  2. What do they have a picture of as their phone background?
                  Aubrey doesn't have a phone. An apocalypse will do that to ya. But her Mom used to have a picture or her and her brother on hers when they were a bit younger. Before everything went to shit.
                  3. Is there something that they once hated but came to love? What is it?
                  Violence, to an extent. She still hates it, but if she can use her bow and arrows, she's all for it now. It's one way she likes to relax. Unless she's trying to get rid of an infected hoard. At that point, it's just stressful.
                  4. What do they do to relax?
                  As stated above, she liked to shoot. Target practice, etx. Aubrey also likes to just find a safe quiet place away from the chaos. That alone is enough to relax her.
                  5. How do they react to someone they care about being hurt or upset?
                  Aubrey has a lot of empathy and if anyone she cares about is hurt or upset, she is very understanding and does all she can to help them out, make them laugh, or make it better.
                  6. Are they more of an indoors or outdoors person?
                  Outdoors. Not much of a choice anymore, anyway.
                  7. How do they act when they’re lacking sleep? Do they find it easy to get sleep?
                  Aubrey's sleep pattern is probably only a couple hours a day. Ever since she lost her family, she can no longer get a restful sleep. Even those few hours of shut eye she's half awake, always worried about what's going on around her or haunted by nightmares.
                  8. Are they close with their family?
                  She was incredibly close to them, but they are dead now.
                  9. Do they like having their photo taken?
                  Aubrey never really enjoyed it.
                  10. What’s their go-to comfort food?
                  Canned peaches. Pretty much the only thing found around the world now was preservatives or by hunting, but those peaches always make her smile and hum happily.
                  11. If they could only pick three things to have with them on a desert island, what would they be?
                  Her family, her bow, and her arrows.
                  12. What's their most used emoji? (Or what would it be, if they don't have a phone?)
                  She doesn't have a phone, but it would probably be the smile emoji. Should the world be a better place, she'd be a happy giddy woman. She used to be, before the world went to shit.
                  13. Are they good at being on time for things?
                  Always. Not that she ever needs to be on time necessarily, but she gets jobs done fast and moves around quickly, not wanting to waste any time.
                  14. If they had the opportunity to change any one thing about themselves, would they?
                  Being more skilled at combat. She can shoot arrows from her bow with no issue, but literally anything else she's horrible at, which is why she sneaks around. Thankfully, she's good at that too.
                  15. If they could only pick one, which would it be: money, power, love?
                  Love. Aubrey is, hands down, a hopeless romantic. And her family's love, or what love she has left for them, is what keeps her going.
cider
Blue Belt

AS Afflatus: Issue 13 // Character Interview

Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:41 pm

roleplay: The Herd
notes: human polygraph
gang's assassin

"I feel more like a dog than I do a cat and I think that's partially why I prefer them. They're always so happy and energetic and eager to please. Besides, cats poop in a box full of sand so that's kind of weird."

"First it was Star Lord because I was so hype after Vol. 2. Then it was a picture of me and Layla. Now it's a picture of Socks on his back with his tongue hanging out. He's so cute and fluffy."

"Uh, I used to really hate avocados. Now it's not as bad as long as it's in the form of guacamole and I have some chips."

"Oh dude, I'm always in my room gaming and listening to my music. It's a nice way to detach from reality for a bit."

"I always go right to humor if that will help at all. It's how I keep myself from being upset by too much. If I can't make them laugh, I'll try to offer a distraction or just listen if they need to talk. When all else fails, I take matters into my own hands."

"As surprising as this may seem, I'm 110% an outdoors person. I'd go camping in a heartbeat if it was safe or even reasonable to do so. That's the sort of stuff I was raised doing until my drastic lifestyle change."

7. How do they act when they’re lacking sleep? Do they find it easy to get sleep?
                "I might as well be an 80 year old man when it comes to sleep. Like, 11 o'clock is my body's bedtime and any later than that and I either crash or get stupidly goofy."

"I used to be before everything got out of hand. My brothers and I would spend weekends in the woods. We'd hunt or fish or fight. I miss them sometimes, but I try not to get nostalgic about it. I have a new family now, and new brothers."

"Always."

"Definitely pizza. Or french fries. Oh, or those pizza places that will put french fries on your pizza. Yeah that. With some bacon and ranch drizzled on top. Delicious."

11. If they could only pick three things to have with them on a desert island, what would they be?
                A smirk, "A seaplane, a pilot, and fuel."

12. What's their most used emoji?
                "Top 5 are probably the smug emoji, the kissy face, the winking emoji, the okay hand, and - wait for it - the pizza."

"To be on time, is to be late. I'm always at least 15 minutes early to things."

14. If they had the opportunity to change any one thing about themselves, would they?
                Shrug. "I wouldn't change anything about myself, to be honest. I'm tall enough, capable enough, definitely funny enough. I'm good."

"What is power if it isn't earned. And what is money if you have no one to share it with. I'd rather die in a cardboard box with someone I love than alone in the biggest house in the world."
hyena
Brown Belt
House: Sagacitas

character interview -- warren maxwell

Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:06 pm

Image Image
──────────────────────────────
"So collect your courage and collect your horse, and pray you never feel this same kind of remorse."
──────────────────────────────
      "An animal is only worth keeping insofar as it's useful. The day I meet a useful cat, I'll let you know." Warren pauses here for a moment. "If you want a good animal, go for a horse. Dogs are okay, I guess, but a horse can actually get you somewhere."

Warren lives in the medieval world; so phone backgrounds are far beyond his time. If he had a phone, however, he'd probably have his apprentice and adopted brother Troy as his background. Or possible a picture of his sword. He does love that sword.

"Kids." Warren answers immediately. "I mean, I still hate most of them, except Troy of course. And some of the kids in the thief's guild. Wouldn't want of my own, but there are a handful who aren't utterly horrible."

"Blade training. Throwing daggers into a tree is great for letting off steam, gives you a really satisfying thunk when you get it right. Plus, sharpening my daggers after you've mutilated some forest is really calming."

"I'm lucky. Troy doesn't get down too much, and when he does, he bounces back from it really quickly. Which is good, because I never know what to do. Generally, we train together for a few minutes, or I tell him about some of my latest jobs, and he's good within fifteen minutes. I guess that's an eight-year-old for you. Never down for long."

"What kind of a question is that? You go outdoors to go indoors and indoors to go outdoors. It makes no difference to me so long as I have an escape route and some cover."

"Lack of sleep makes me impatient, which is bad for a thief, so I tend to make sure I get a few hours of shut-eye each night. I don't sleep much though. You never know who's about to plunge a dagger into your back."

"My family is dead." Warren gives a hard look at this question, as though annoyed that it was even asked. "Troy is the closest thing I have to family, and yes, we're close. I spend every minute of every day making sure the kid is safe, well fed, and trained so that one day he can be a better thief than I am."

Warren doesn't even like to be seen if he can avoid it, so a photo would probably be his worst nightmare.

"Food is a necessity, not a comfort. Troy, however, loves it when I can steal him some pastries from the bakery a few blocks over, so sometimes I'll sneak a few of those for the two of us."

"My sword, a bow, and some rope. Everything else you can catch or make.

12. What's their most used emoji? (Or what would it be, if they don't have a phone?)
      Warren would find emojis incredibly pointless. However, he'd probably send Troy random animal emojis in every text just to make the kid smile.

"If you're early, you're on time; if you're on time, you're late. If you're late, you're dead. I always get to rendezvous points early so I can scope out the area and make sure no one's about to double-cross me."

"I'd like to be bolder. Caution has saved my life thousands of times, but sometimes you just need to go for it. I always double-check everything. It's exhausting."

"I hate people in power. They always screw it up, and someone else ends up in the shit because of it. And you don't need money when you can steal everything you need. So love, I guess, but I'm not the romantic kind either."
Memory.
Black Belt

↪ ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴᴛᴇʀᴠɪᴇᴡ : ᴀʟᴇᴋsʏ ᴀʀᴋᴀᴅʏ

Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:01 pm

x
                He doesn't really think about them all that much, so he really doesn't have an opinion. Though, if he were to have an opinion, dogs are the best.

Ace, but it's a shot taken from behind because Aleksy is a stalker. Or maybe it's a picture of Ace and him together, but that wouldn't be very likely.

The blood on his hands. At first it freaked him out so dearly to see what he had done to the people that didn't treat him right, but then he met Ace. It was because of Ace why he came to accept the blood on his hands, and why he had killed many more times before.

Usually it's not him that needs to relax, because he's actually pretty chill unless a threat comes to mind, which is almost never. But Ace? Oh, let's not go there. It's usually that Aleksy needs to help Ace calm down one way or another.

He only cares about one person, but to other people he will pretend to be there for them. And if Ace ever got upset over anything, Aleksy will kill whoever made him upset; or if it's a certain thing, he will make sure that it ceases to exist.

He likes to be more private, but if his beloved Ace wants to do such sinful actions outdoors, then he wouldn't be completely opposed to it.

Nope. If it's a night of pure fun and adrenaline, then he'll still most likely be able to function. However, if it's a night without Ace, then he'll most likely not get any sleep and feel depressed in the morning.

Not really, but for trigger reasons that's his business.

Not exactly, but it's also highly situational.

Ace

~Ace
                ~His lust for blood
                ~His dagger

The Black Heart

Not if he's with Ace

Yes he would become an actual part of Ace.

Power. His dream goal is to rule the world so that Ace could have everything that he could ever want in life. Especially since Ace has done so much for him, he wants nothing more than to repay the favor. And, the guy is really short, and most people think that he's cute, so naturally he would want power. Love comes second, but that's a story for another time.
sylver
Attendant

character interview / calladin

Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:19 pm

fixed some spelling errors,
because i can't spell as of late orz
              Definitely a dog person. He doesn't dislike cats and will definitely pat them when no one is looking, but he grew up with dogs and finds their loyalty endearing, since they make for very reliable and steadfast companions. Plus, they make excellent guards... and good "allies" in war. The dog he currently has with him, Beast (or Bea, as he calls her) used to be a war dog, but now she's blind and old and really just stays to keep him company & growl at visitors to let them know her fangs do still work. But yes, he doesn't mind cats, but he definitely prefers dogs. Only downside to dogs is that they die pretty quickly, especially since ten to fifteen years is a super short time for his kind, but the same logic applies to cats as well. Seeing dogs come and go every decade or two is quite saddening, but he feels that the comfort and unconditional love they offer him is worth it.

Well, there are no phones in his world, but if he had one, the background would probably be either the default screen the phone comes with, or a picture of his older sister and little brother (and maybe his dog too).

Calladin used to really dislike swordplay and his lessons on it, mostly because his father was really demanding and wanted him to be the best, and every teacher he's ever trained with was very strict as well. It really grew on him eventually though, and now he actually enjoys training and sparring with others in his spare time. There's just something beautiful about wielding a sword and having that kind of skill and power that he can appreciate now, and he also learned to appreciate the way his teachers always pushed him past his limits back then. He probably wouldn't be as skilled of a swordsman without the harsh lessons they put him through, and all of the skills he learned certainly come in handy now.

Calladin actually has a pretty hard time relaxing when he needs it the most, because he feels guilty for taking time off when he should be doing something else. However, when he can convince himself to take a break, he does pretty basic things. He might drink a cup of tea and read a book, usually while being curled up next to his dog and petting her now and again. He also enjoys taking a nice, hot bath with calming herbs to soothe his mind. Playing chess is both distracting and rather relaxing to him as well, and he also likes to tend to his horse to relax.

He honestly doesn't really know how to offer emotional support and gets very uncomfortable and flustered when someone wants that kind of help (you should have see him whenever his little brother ran to him crying and wanting a hug), but he does try his best to offer advise and help however he can. He might not be the man to go to when you just want to cry on someone's shoulder, but if you want someone to talk to and help you figure things out, he's a great guy.

He likes both, although he probably feels more at ease indoors. Doesn't mean that he doesn't enjoy spending time outside though. As long as the weather isn't complete garbage (super cold/super hot/heavy rain/etc.) and the trip isn't a 10 hour hike up a steep mountain, chances are he will enjoy the time he spends outside.

It really depends. Calladin does try to stick to a healthy sleep schedule and, if it wasn't for the fact that he's always busy and prefers working longer to make himself feel less guilty about going to bed, it would be pretty easy for him to get enough sleep. As things stand, he tends to not get enough sleep most of the time, but it's only obvious when he's super sleep-deprived. He tends to be rather grumpy and gets annoyed by anyone and everything very quickly.

He's very close with his younger brother and his older sister. He's also somewhat close to his mother, although not as much as he was as a kid. Calladin's relationship with his father is... strained, to say they least, and you wouldn't even know they're family by looking at the way they behave around each other. They're pretty distant and definitely look more like acquaintances rather than father and son in public. He's on pretty neutral terms with most of his other family members, although he tends to feel more welcome in his mother's side of the family.

Well, there aren't any photos either, but he wouldn't mind it. Actually, Calladin would probably be super into having his pictures taken - as long as he's aware of it, of course.

Anything small and sweet - little chocolates, a slice of cake, some ripe fruits like strawberries and cherries. If we ignore the fact that it's not food for a moment, tea is his biggest "comfort food" though. He'll cling to a warm cup of some fancy tea for ages, while taking a sip now and again of course.

His sword, some sort of medieval fantasy first-aid kit, aaand his boyfriend Kova to be honest. I mean, who else could be better at helping you survive in the wild than a half human, half demon mercenary who's literally homeless and has been travelling and wandering through shitty places untouched by civilization for years? Heck, he probably wouldn't need anything and anyone but Kova.

I honestly don't see him as someone who would use a lot of emojis, if any at all, but maybe the star-related emojis? The nature-based ones in general, and maybe the food/drink-based ones. Also, with his sister and Kova, he'd definitely use the eye rolling emoji a lot.

Definitely. Calladin hates being late for events, and he really dislikes it when other people aren't on time either. He probably won't show it, but you can bet he's gonna be pissed whenever someone is late by like a minute.

Yes. Honestly, I can imagine him wanting to change his sexuality, since it's actually the biggest stress factor in his life and the thing he's most conflicted about? Other than that, he would definitely also want to change his height, since he's fairly short. Another thing is getting rid of the one noticeable scar he has, but it doesn't bother him as much as the other two things.

He already has money and he does have power, and Calladin would definitely say that he wants more power, but to be honest with you? He'd want love. Definitely love. Very, very deep down, he's actually a very romantic person. He just doesn't have an outlet for it, nor does he feel like he should allow himself to have one in the first place, in fear of the consequences. But if there's one thing he craves, it's definitely finding true love and just following the plot of some cheesy romance novel by running off with them and never coming back. Won't ever happen (mostly his own fault), but he definitely wishes it would.
Last edited by sylver on Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amnesia.
Black Belt

↪ character interview; aewin

Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:28 am

if he's honest then he'd say that he isn't particularly fond of either; dogs make far too much noise whereas he finds cats difficult to preempt. if asked to make a direct choice then he supposes he'd favour cats over dogs, though only due to a close friend of his owning multiple cats over the years

he rarely uses his phone, in fact the only reason he even has one is because daisuke complained about lack of contact between them, and due to lack of caring he has the generic wallpaper that came with the phone

an incubus by the name of daisuke; their initial meeting was an unpleasant one to say the least, fuelled with a heated argument and mutual dislike that petered out over time. he wouldn't particularly say that he loves his friend, but he certainly does feel a close connection with him and is one of the rare few people that he finds to be a calming influence when aggravated or in a bad mood

he'll distance himself from other people, or rather he'll distance himself from humans in particular. for the most part he finds immersing himself in nature to be the most effective way of relaxing, though if his mind is too distracted then he may opt to read or on occasion listen to music

it would honestly depend on the situation- he's not too good when it comes to other people crying, it's something that makes him varying degrees of uncomfortable depending on how well he knows the person. the closer he is to someone the less uncomfortable he feels, though for the most part if he's made aware that another person has upset someone that he cares about then he tends to make full use of his sharp tongue in the form of snide comments and harsh words

definitely an outdoors person, he feels highly uncomfortable being confined indoors for elongated periods of time

when he hasn't had much sleep then he can be rather unpleasant to be around- without much sleep he prefers to just be left alone, else he resorts to being quite snippy and easily aggravated with those around him. for the most part he finds it easy to get to sleep, though he's quite sensitive to noise

not particularly, during his younger years he was close to his younger sister and his mother, but after his mother's passing he isolated himself from the rest of his family. it's been a couple of centuries since he cut himself off from them rather suddenly, something that he regrets but with the amount of time that's passed he no longer knows where they are nor how to get back in contact with them

the short answer would be yes- he's quite a vain being, so if asked by the right person and caught in the right mood he'd be all too happy to stand still long enough to have a photo -or two- taken of him

he doesn't so particularly have any food that he goes to for comfort, but he does have a rather strong penchant for iced tea or anything raspberry flavoured - bonus points if it's a raspberry frappuccino

given that aewin pretty much lives in the wilderness anyway being stuck on an island wouldn't bother him all too much, but if he had to choose then he'd want a hand held fan due to his dislike of the heat, at least one glass of iced tea and probably a classical book of some kind. though if he were planning on actually trying to leave the island then he'd settle with just a boat and a glass of iced tea

he doesn't particularly use emojis -he dislikes using human technology in general- but if he did then it would probably be the wine glass emoji

yes, he absolutely abhors getting anywhere late, it'll often leave him in a bad mood- especially if he's late because of someone else

if he had the opportunity then this vain fucker probably wouldn't change anything about himself - he's aware of his own imperfections but simply doesn't want to and doesn't see a point in changing them

given that he lives in a forest money is relatively useless to him so that's the first one crossed off of his list. power isn't particularly something that he cares all that much about; he's never been one to try and enforce his way of thinking onto other people and truthfully the responsibility of making decisions for other people isn't something he'd be comfortable with. so that leaves him with love - as a rather closed off person he finds it extremely difficult to lower his guard enough to actually let another person emotionally close to him, and yet love is something he secretly yearns for
Spiritstar3
Bronze Belt
Location: Did the CCG catch me? No, I'm with my precious tiger baby, and Muratas bein a creeper in the corner.

Afflatus 13: Character Interview One

Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:11 am

i haven’t named him...

https://www.deviantart.com/spiritstar3/ ... -672023063

1. Is your character a cat or dog person? Or neither? Why?
Well, considering he is a fox...I’d definitely say he’s a dog person, but he does not mind cats so much. He has a Neko for a lover, after all.

Well...he really doesn’t use his phone much. However, he has a picture of his sweet Neko boy as his background, nevertheless.

Not really...

Cuddling with the kitty, watching his two dogs play, curling up in a blanket or at his Neko’s side...Or eating a bit, because that always works.

He gets real angry...That is his Neko after all, and he loves him a lot. He remembers once that he scared the kitty, though, so he tries to hold back, but it’s real hard.

Outdoors, definitely.

He gets grumpy, especially since then he can’t go hunting, or watch over the ones he’s been Charged with. However, if all lights and electronics are turned off, he’s out in like ten minutes.

He doesn’t remember his family...

He’s alright with it, but gets overly excited when it’s boyfriend asking, as he loves that attention.

Meat...like, beefy jerky or something of the nature.

Boyfriend...lol
Blanket
Camera

seeing as they could build a shelter, and there’d probably be animals to hunt...the three above.

Well, as stated, he doesn’t really use the phone much.

Absolutely.

Nope, he’s perfectly happy no matter what anyone says.

Love...he kind of already has power of a sort, and love, but he’d definitely pick love.
Last edited by Spiritstar3 on Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Spiritstar3
Bronze Belt
Location: Did the CCG catch me? No, I'm with my precious tiger baby, and Muratas bein a creeper in the corner.

Afflatus 13: Character Interview 2

Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:21 am

Satoru

https://www.deviantart.com/spiritstar3/ ... -661223155

1. Is your character a cat or dog person? Or neither? Why?
Cats, because he’s a Neko. However, he doesn’t mind dogs much anymore, because of boyfriend.

His foxy lover boyfriend.

Not really...well, maybe dogs, but it was just nervousness, not hatred.

Cuddle under a blanket, cuddle their kitty, cuddle boyfriend, find a patch of sunlight, get on the couch...need I go on?

He tries to calm them down, rather than tending towards overreaction or anger like foxy. If it’s his pet kitty, though...I’ll leave that to your imagination.

Indoors, as he was raised as a house-cat. Yes, he can transform...

He’s a cat, he sleeps throughout the day...He’s never tired; if anything, he gets more revved up.

Well, he was as a kitten, but then they were split up...

He’s kind of shy, but if it’s his foxy then he’s alright with it.

Fish, or something salty.

Fox bae...
something warm to cover up.
Pet cat.

Doesn’t use his cell except to call foxy if something happens, or take pictures.

Well, I guess? He usually just stays in the house, though he does have a few friends.

No, he’s happy with himself.

Love, hands down. He doesn’t need power or money, if he has his fox bae.
Last edited by Spiritstar3 on Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spiritstar3
Bronze Belt

Afflatus 13: Prompt

Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:24 am

“I reserve the right to change that by tomorrow.”

wip