AS Afflatus: Issue Fourteen

Where you can find all published issues of the Advanced Scribes Afflatus, our very own newsletter!

Moderator: Admin Aide

ichor.
Admin Aide
House: Halcyon Keeper

AS Afflatus - Issue 14 - Reminders & Point System

Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:05 am

Image x
Just a couple of reminders for the Afflatus! x
1. When nominating a writing piece for the Featured Writing, keep in mind that nominations should come from the Share Your Writing forum (or the Fanfiction forum). Nominations can also come from any prompt event held and from the NaNoWriMo event. Nominations can also come from house run prompt threads. As long as the nomination is not from a role-play forum, it is fair game. The purpose is to shine light on individuals' personal work and stories, rather than role-plays. Make sure to include a direct link to the post, and also mention the title and user.

2. Please submit all of the following through the Google form, in order to make point keeping easier.
- Dear Stag Submissions
- Prompt Suggestions
- Featured Writing Nominations
- Anonymous Compliments and Critiques
- Article Submissions
- Suggestions for the Afflatus (new segments, activity ideas, etc.) or the site

3. When submitting an anonymous compliment, please include username and link to their profile. I notify these users after each issue is posted so that they know they've received a compliment and it makes it easy to track them down in case usernames are changed!

4. When posting submissions to the thread (character interviews and prompts), please make sure the words Character Interview or Prompt are there in the title post. It's not a big deal if forgotten, however. Also, please post each character interview and prompt submission separately. If you submit three things, submit them all on separate posts for easier point keeping!

5. Remember, you can post up to two (2) character interviews per issue.

6. Please keep in mind the fact that we are not professional therapists when submitting your Dear Stags. We love offering tips and trying to help out, but do keep in mind that we are not professionals and some problems may be better discussed with trusted adults or professionals.

7. For Article Submissions, they can be about anything. Articles submitted for Writing Tips or Life Tips is always appreciated. When submitting an article, please link to a Google Doc that can be edited. Make sure to include your user (and link it) and house on the doc so that we can award points and give credit for your work!

8. Going forward, at the end of the month I will post the following on the thread: "Any posts made after this will not count towards points." I will be trying to stay consistent with this and plan on doing this on the last day of every month by 11:30 PM CST time. Please note that if this doesn't happen for a day (or more) then you can assume it's fair game to submit more things to the thread, since it is likely taking some time to get the next issue out. The Google form, however, will be closed the night before the next issue.
x Points System x Dear Stag Submission ……………………... 5 points
Featured Writing Nomination ……………… 5 points
Future Prompt Suggestion ……………….... 5 points
Compliment Submission ………………….... 5 points
Critique/Critique Piece Submission …… 5 points

Character Interview Submission ………… 10 points
Article Submission ……….................… 10 points

Prompt Submission
0-500 words ………………………. 10 points
500-1000 words ………………….. 20 points
1000-2000+ words ……………….. 30 points

Activity Participation - will vary depending on level of difficulty
Cᴏᴍᴍᴀɴᴅᴇʀ Sʜᴇᴘᴀʀᴅ
Admin
Location: In jail, probably, but that's okay because I work there.
House: Vipera

ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴᴛᴇʀᴠɪᴇᴡ 1 : ɪssᴜᴇ 14

Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:21 am

• 1. What is your character's name and how did they get it?
                "My name is Mehki. I gave it to myself, of course. You see, where I come from, when we are reborn, we can choose to take our old names or pick a new one for ourselves. A fresh start to a new life."

2. How do they feel about their name?
                "Obviously I like it, or I would not have given it to myself."

3. What items does your character keep next to their bedside?
                "A pistol, and a glass of water. An occasional book if I fancy a read before bed."

4. What did your character want to be when they were younger? Are they doing that or working towards it? If not, why?
                "I wanted to be an archeologist. Which I was, in my first life. Such jobs are not needed in the world anymore."

5. How does your character feel about family functions and events?
                "No, thank you. I have no current living family members, but even if I did, no."

6. Does your character make friends easily?
                "That depends on if this person has something I want or not. Typically not."

7. What was your character's first romantic encounter like?
                "I do not remember in my first life, but I remember my first one after being reborn. It was.. pleasant."

8. How does your character display affection?
                "Kisses, perhaps a bit more aggressive tactics. It depends on the individual."

9. How does your character flirt with another?
                "I draw them in with my eyes, and once I have them it's really quite simple after that. I've been told I have quite the silver tongue."

10. What is your character's least favorite food?
                "I'm really not a fan of anything to do with green beans, or anything green for that matter."

11. Describe your character in three words and explain why you chose each.
                "Hostile; I'm not nice. Manipulative; If I want it, I will have it. Dangerous; You don't want to make an enemy of me."

12. What is your character's greatest regret in life?
                "Jericho."

13. Does your character keep their promises?
                "That honestly just depends on what the promise is. I'm a damn good liar, but if the person means something to me, and I promise them something. I will keep that promise."

14. What are some values your characters hold?
                "Bravery, Humor, Zeal, Resilience, and Diligence."

15. Is your character a leader, follower, or lone wolf?
                "Preferably a lone wolf. I've had my fair share of being a follower, and I refuse to be so blind again. I would rather be alone than lead either, for no one needs to be as twisted as I."
Cᴏᴍᴍᴀɴᴅᴇʀ Sʜᴇᴘᴀʀᴅ
Admin
Location: In jail, probably, but that's okay because I work there.
House: Vipera

ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴᴛᴇʀᴠɪᴇᴡ 2 : ɪssᴜᴇ 14

Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:22 am

"I currently go by Axel, though my true name is Micah. Most call me Axel because I've been working on rebuilding pre-war cars and motorcycles since I was a runt on the streets. Micah was given to me by my mother, and she is no longer alive, so I cannot answer that."

"I prefer Axel over Micah. That's good enough."

"Gun, Knife, Cigarettes, lighter, a flashlight and sometimes a half-empty bottle of beer depending on if I had been drinking the night before."

4. What did your character want to be when they were younger? Are they doing that or working towards it? If not, why?
                "I wanted to be part of the Brotherhood of Steel, they were my idols growing up on the streets. Walking around in a giant suit of armor, decimating foes in their paths. I wanted that, but it's too late for me now. I'm an ex-raider mercenary with a bounty on my head, not to mention that the Brotherhood has too many rules for my liking."

"If there's alcohol, I'll be there. The Hunters are the closest thing to a family I have now, so if they gather, I'll make an appearance."

"Not really. Too many people pry into business that is not their own. I also don't play well with others."

"I was young and very intoxicated. I don't really remember much, to be honest."

"I'm not very good at it, but I try. Small kisses, gentle touches."

"I usually wait for them to make the first move, but after that, getting up close and personal with some soft sweet lies usually gets the job done."

"There was this one time I had to eat a can of canned dog food. Definitely not a fan. Also didn't really like Cram all that much. You learn not to be terribly picky when the world's gone to shit and you're literally eating hundreds of years old packaged foods, or mutated animals."

"Reliable; I'll get the job done if the pay is right. Strong; I'll put 'em down before they can stand up. Aggressive; Piss me off, and you're gonna regret it."

"Not killing a certain sonofabitch when I had the chance."

"I don't make promises. I know full well that I can't keep half of them anyways. On the off chance I do make a promise, I try to keep it."

"Courage, Zeal, Confidence, Resilience, Strength, and Diligence."

"I would say lone wolf, but I'm the deputy to the gang my best friend runs. I work better alone, but these men and women look up to me when the boss ain't around. So I guess I'm a leader in a strange way."
Spiritstar3
Bronze Belt
Location: Did the CCG catch me? No, I'm with my precious tiger baby, and Muratas bein a creeper in the corner.
House: Halcyon

AS Afflatus 14 Character Interview

Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:28 am

https://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/v ... ?t=3837507
(Furs by jacqes
design/breeding by Newts.)
Denver

1. What is your character's name and how did they get it?
Denver, and the owner of the father of the breeding actually suggested the name.

He quite likes his name, actually.

Extra blankets, tissues, random little trinkets...

He actually wanted to help in a bookstore, or with photo work, but...well, he hates crowds and germs and such now. There’s also the reason he isn’t doing either of those things...

He knows he has to go to them...They aren’t really family things, it’s parties and events with Kaori’s friends.

Not at all...It’s because of the germs, personal space, personality thing. He has one Fur trying to be his friend, though.

Hasn’t had it yet.

He only shows it to his mother...right now; hugs, kisses, cuddles, doing nice things for her, (trying to make) making food when she’s sick.

He doesn’t...he has no interest in romance as of the moment.

Probably broccoli or citrus.

Caring, distant, warm
Caring, because he loves his mother and wants to see her happy.
Distant may not be the right word, but the personal space and germs thing.
Warm, because of all those clothes he wears, and blankets when he puts them on.

He has none, yet.

If he makes a promise with someone but, as stated, he doesn’t exactly have any friends.

Personal space, probably. Family comes first. Protect your mother. Don’t fight. Be kind, even if you don’t agree. Being warm and caring is good.

Aha, lone wolf I guess...Follower, if Kaori is involved.
Last edited by Spiritstar3 on Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
Spiritstar3
Bronze Belt
Location: Did the CCG catch me? No, I'm with my precious tiger baby, and Muratas bein a creeper in the corner.

AS Afflatus 14 Character Interview 2

Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:29 am

https://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/v ... ?t=3871950
(white)
Sugarbear

1. What is your character's name and how did they get it?
Sugarbear; the name was stuck in my head, and when I decided to make him a better ref, I just thought it worked.
‘Canonically’, his mother named him for the white fur, and the hope he’d grow big and strong like a bear.

He quite likes his name, actually.

He has a dog bed...His scarf is placed safely nearby at bedtime, and there’s some toys and a blanket. There’s a framed picture of mum, too.

He’s a dog...He kind of thought it would be cool to be a racer, though.

Well, he doesn’t have any for canine family...but the human family comes over, and gives him lots of pats and attention, so he doesn’t really mind.

Yes, because he’s an exceptionally friendly animal.

He hasn’t exactly had one yet.

Like any other dog would: excitement, joy, pouncing, tail wagging, rubbing, licking, cuddling.

Um...he’s a dog, and has no interest in any canine right now.

Broccoli and citrus.

Cuddly, friendly, playful
He’s a dog, that’s why. He’s very friendly, he loves to play, and he quite enjoys a good cuddle.

He hasn’t had any regrets, actually.

Yes, he absolutely does, if anyone makes him even promise something.

Family (and humans) comes first. Not fighting over stupid things. Never hurt anyone, unless they’re a serious threat. Protect the little ones.

Definitely not a lone wolf, but probably not much of a leader either. He sticks with the group, or with his human(s).
Last edited by Spiritstar3 on Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Spiritstar3
Bronze Belt

AS Afflatus 14 prompt

Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:30 am

"Just like old times?"

"Just like old times."

Characters: Four canine ocs.
https://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/v ... ?t=3813846

Willie sighed as he looked around, head tilted to the side and ears pricked. The black and white pitbull shook his head, cursing his luck again when no she dogs came around. He shook his coat out, stepping forward, moving into a trot then a lope. Upon reaching the usual park, he glanced right, then left, then ran inside, seeing no humans close by. Of course, this didn’t mean none were in the park itself...Flicking his tail a few times, he headed for the meet up spot, seeing Kora was already there.

He touched his nose to the little Welsh Corgi’s head, then sat and waited. When Jess and Kerro arrived, he dipped his head to them. “Hey. Been a while, huh?” he woofed, earning nods from all three. They sat awhile, then Jess glanced towards the other end of the park, the red and white Akita’s tail curling over. She glanced back to the others, seeing them watching her, and woofed “Just like old times?” Kora tilted her head, yipping, then chuckled as she stood up. Taking a breath, she glanced to the others, then opened her maw, revealing little teeth.

“Just like old times.” Kora, Kerro, and Willie said in unison. The Bernese stood up, shook off, touched his nose to Kora’s head, then stepped forward. He nuzzled Jess at the same time Willie did, Kora pouncing around the three bigger dogs. They set off for the back of the park, where the fence was, slipping through and running for the back alleys.

255 words
Last edited by Spiritstar3 on Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
♚ Ren
Yellow Belt
House: Amaranthine

Re: AS Afflatus: Issue Fourteen

Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:03 am

• The headstrong apprentice who strives to reclaim his hidden past.

1. What is your character's name and how did they get it? His name is Ren. As for how he got it, he honestly has no idea. He has zero memory up until three years ago,a fter waking up in the arms of his master. He was told he could give himself whatever name he desired, to start his new life. He chose Ren.
                      2. How do they feel about their name? He named himself, so he has a fairly good opinion of his name.
                      3. What items does your character keep next to their bedside? He keeps his dagger which he purchased from a traveling pirate at the market and Asra's tarot deck. As well as some treats for his eagle.
                      4. What did your character want to be when they were younger? Are they doing that or working towards it? If not, why? Before he died and was brought back to life, Ren wanted to be a sailor. Poor af, he'd stand on the docks and watch the ships leave and wanted nothing more than to jump on and sail into the horizon.
                      5. How does your character feel about family functions and events? Ren has no recollection of his family. The only thing he knows is that the shop he shares with Asra belongs to them, but as for where they are he has no idea. As such he has little opinion on get togethers, and doesn't particulary desire to meet them again.
                      6. Does your character make friends easily? No. Ren has a personality that heavily insinuates that he wants to be left alone, or that he looks down on others when in all honesty he just possesses a constant resting-bitch-face. As such, people rarely go out of their way to make friends with him and he gives even less than an effort.
                      7. What was your character's first romantic encounter like? His first romantic encounter was pecking a young girl on the lips when he was a boy down at the docks. As for serious relationships, his first and only is Asra.
                      8. How does your character display affection? Ren has a very teasing sense of humour towards his family and lover, poking at thema nd setting them off to draw a reaction. However when he messes up he's quick to shower them with affection, going out of his way and to great lengths to get them what he thinks they'd like.
                      9. How does your character flirt with another? Despite how anti social and awkward he can be, especially in a crowd, Ren is quite good up close and personal with those he likes. He possesses an old fashioned sense of romance and courtesy, one that parallels his less-than-virtuous demeanor.
                      10. What is your character's least favorite food? Everything.
                      11. Describe your character in three words and explain why you chose each. Selfish - Ren is incredibly selfish. He decided to stay and help the sick during the plague so that he could prove himself - selfishly - to Asra and show that he's not a coward. Resourceful - He's not the strongest, the fastest or the smartest but he is incredibly good at getting what he wants, going as far as manipulation to do so. Self-Sacrificing - Despite the fact that he can be selfish, Ren gives everything and anything to those he cares about. He would sacrifice every piece of himself and every coin he possesses just to see them smile. It's his greatest flaw and weakness.
                      12. What is your character's greatest regret in life? He has none. He has no memory to regret and for the future his mind is set on only one thing - destroying the soul of the man who caused his death. The only thing he regrets is that Count Lucio's essence has not yet been obliterated.
                      13. Does your character keep their promises? Only when it's still in his best interest.
                      14. What are some values your characters hold? His values somewhat come and go per the situation. They're very loose and he's able to be flexible with his own moral code to fit the situation.
                      15. Is your character a leader, follower, or lone wolf? All of the above except for follower. He absolutely hates being a follower and taking orders, even from Asra. He's typically a lone wolf, prefering to stay out of the spotlight but when moments arise where a leader needs to take a stand, Ren is the first one up on the stage to take command.
cider
Blue Belt

AS Afflatus: Issue 14 // Character Interview [1]

Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:12 pm

roleplay: The Herd
notes: human polygraph
gang's assassin

"My name is Logan. I never really asked my parents why they picked it. I think they chose it because they liked the way it sounded. My middle name and last name aren't the same as they were when I was born. When you're attempting to hide it's best not to keep anything."

"I don't hate it. It's hard to get a nickname from, so I've been stuck with Loghead for the longest time. I guess it doesn't help that I'm stubborn. As for the way it goes together, I like Logan Lewis. It reminds me of the superheroes and their names. Peter Parker, Wade Wilson, Steven Strange, Bruce Banner, Logan Lewis. I fit right in."

"I have one of those nifty charging pads for my phone, so both of those stay there. Usually one or two bottles of water. A lamp. And I always keep my tv remote and a controller there for easy access. Oh! And there's this little lego transformer that Day gave me. I keep it facing his side of the room."

"Man, I guess I always wanted to be a firefighter. So obviously that didn't work out well for me. I feel like given the current state of our world, it isn't likely I'd ever be able to pursue it. It doesn't bother me, though, because deep down I think I just wanted to be able to help people and I can still do that where I am now."

"I love our family events. Pretty much every day is one. We're almost always together even when we're not working a job. My favorites are whenever we decide to do a movie or a game night. It feels so good to have everyone in one room, laughing."

"I'd like to think so. I don't usually have any qualms with anyone. I'm a pretty easy-going, friendly guy so it isn't hard for me to get along with just about anyone."

"Oh my god, I think I was like 14? My parents were big on summer camps, so it was your cliche camp fling. Her name was Grace and she had this really cute dimple. We hung out a lot, ate together, held hands at the evening gatherings. The last day she kissed me. I think she must have moved after that summer because I never saw her again."

"Dude, I'm like always showing affection. I live for physical contact, so I love hugs and snuggling up with someone. But I also try to do things for people I care about so that they know I was thinking about them. Getting a new wig for Shaana and helping her develop a persona for it. Taking Layla to a shelter so we can fawn all over the dogs and cats."

"Flirting is harder for me, because I feel like I do all of it when I'm just being affectionate. But I guess I would tease the person I like a little more than I would anyone else. It would probably be subtle things where they got my attention more than others."

"There aren't a lot of things I don't like, but avocados are one. They have a weird, pastey texture. No thank you."

Jokester: Logan tries to find the fun in every situation he can. He's constantly teasing his friends and trying to turn things into dirty jokes. He's also found himself in the midst of a prank war. Anything to get a laugh or make someone smile.
                Proud: Not so much narcissistic as he knows he's capable. He refuses to turn down bets or dares because he knows he can do it and won't take defeat. There are few things in his life that he will allow himself to lose at. It's hard for him to take a hit to his ego for something he knows he could accomplish if he pushed himself harder.
                Empathetic: He can be a sensitive kid when it comes to other people. He wants the best for everyone and will do whatever he can to make that happen for them.

"Leaving my little brother."

"I always keep my promises. Especially pinky promises. Those are as serious as they come."

"To be honest, I wasn't sure what would be considered a value so I had to look it up. I think being determined is a big value I hold. I don't like to give any less than my best and I'm constantly trying to make my best even better. Loyalty would be another, but I think Justice goes hand in hand with it. If someone I was loyal to became unjust, I think that would be the one thing that would make me turn against them."

"I think depending on the situation I'm either a leader or a follower. Under Dan, definitely a follower. He cares for all of us too much to ever steer us wrong. When it comes to my own specialties or if I'm under someone less capable, then I will 100% take on the leader role. Never would I consider myself a lone wolf."
Last edited by cider on Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cider
Blue Belt

AS Afflatus: Issue 14 // Character Interview [2]

Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:47 pm

roleplay: Faceless au
notes: magician, ex-member of
a crime group

"My full name is Benjamin, but I usually go by Benji. I think one of the only people to use my full name is Erika and it makes me melt. I got it from my bio parents. I couldn't tell you why they picked it. They probably couldn't either. My adopted parents changed my middle name and last name when they decided to keep me. Cole was a family name, so it was nice that they deemed me good enough for that."

"A name is a name. I don't really think too much about it."

"Typical things. Phone, charger, an old school alarm clock just so I have a back up. Then of course a lamp and whatever book I'm currently on. Since our group broke up I have a lot more free time to read some of the books I've been stockpiling."

"I wanted to be a magician when I was a kid. My grandfather was a big influence on that because he was always showing me coin and card tricks. Simple small ones that would blow my mind until he showed me how to do them. It only grew as I got older and was able to do more difficult tricks. So I'm happy to say I actually did get to grow up and do what I want."

"My family now mostly consists of Damien. We planned events for some of our days during the week and it makes for a nice chance to unwind and just hang out with him. Whether it be watching the same movie for the 100th time or attempting to beat his logical ass at a board game."

"I could if I wanted to, I think. There aren't many people anymore that I would find myself approaching. I'm content with my two remaining family members."

"I kissed a girl named Madison in first grade. Boy did they give me hell for that."

"I like to do things with the people I care about. Quality time is definitely how I show someone that I love 'em. Whether it's cooking together, learning something new together, taking a trip. Uninterrupted time to show they're worth it."

"I'm a very open flirt. I don't think anyone would ever be confused or misled when it came to whether I was flirting with them or not. I mean, ask Erika. Flirty remarks all the time about how beautiful she is or asking if she'd want to touch my muscles."

"I cannot stand okra or stewed tomatoes. For whatever reason, it was a staple food at my grandparents and I always had to finish my serving before I could leave the table."

Non-confrontational: Benji hates confronting someone. He doesn't like arguing or raised voices, so he often puts up with whatever is happening or avoids it the best he can. The only exception would be for someone who - like him - has a hard time standing up for themselves.
                Adventurous: He is always up for some sort of dare-devil adventure. He loves to rock climb, surf, scuba dive, sky dive. Anything to keep his adrenaline pumping.
                Passionate: His whole heart goes into anything and everything he does. Whether it is learning something new or bettering himself at something he already does, he pours his whole self into it. The same could be said for his relationships with others.

"I try to live without regrets. Anything that has happened to me or anything I have done has lead me to where I am and helped shape me into the person I am."

"'A man is only as good as his word' is something my grandfather would say weekly. Any time he asked me to do something or not to do something he would add that on as if to say I wasn't going to be a good man if I didn't do what I said. So when it comes to promises, I always keep them. I never say yes to something I don't know for a fact that I can do."

"Honesty is a big thing for me. I don't like to be lied to and I give anyone around me the same courtesy. I'm also loyal to a fault sometimes. Especially to those I love. I definitely have a hard time choosing what is right if it negatively effects someone I care about."

"I'm definitely a follower. Responsibility - especially if it's over others lives too - makes me very anxious. If I ever have to be a leader, I tend to be a bit cautious. Unless, of course, I'm leading something about one of my adventurous activities."
Last edited by cider on Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ichor.
Admin Aide
House: Halcyon Keeper

AS Afflatus: Character Interview - Erika J. Wellington

Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:24 am

ImageImage
Character Interview
x
    • answer

• answer

• answer

• answer

• answer

• answer

• answer

• answer

• answer

• answer

• answer

• answer

• answer

• answer

• answer