AS Afflatus: Issue Fifteen

Where you can find all published issues of the Advanced Scribes Afflatus, our very own newsletter!

Moderator: Admin Aide

ichor.
Admin Aide
House: Halcyon Keeper

AS Afflatus - Issue 15 - Reminders & Point System

Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:57 pm

Image x
Just a couple of reminders for the Afflatus! x
1. When nominating a writing piece for the Featured Writing, keep in mind that nominations should come from the Share Your Writing forum (or the Fanfiction forum). Nominations can also come from any prompt event held and from the NaNoWriMo event. Nominations can also come from house run prompt threads. As long as the nomination is not from a role-play forum, it is fair game. The purpose is to shine light on individuals' personal work and stories, rather than role-plays. Make sure to include a direct link to the post, and also mention the title and user.

2. Please submit all of the following through the Google form, in order to make point keeping easier.
- Dear Stag Submissions
- Prompt Suggestions
- Featured Writing Nominations
- Anonymous Compliments and Critiques
- Article Submissions
- Suggestions for the Afflatus (new segments, activity ideas, etc.) or the site

3. When submitting an anonymous compliment, please include username and link to their profile. I notify these users after each issue is posted so that they know they've received a compliment and it makes it easy to track them down in case usernames are changed!

4. When posting submissions to the thread (character interviews and prompts), please make sure the words Character Interview or Prompt are there in the title post. It's not a big deal if forgotten, however. Also, please post each character interview and prompt submission separately. If you submit three things, submit them all on separate posts for easier point keeping!

5. Remember, you can post up to two (2) character interviews per issue.

6. Please keep in mind the fact that we are not professional therapists when submitting your Dear Stags. We love offering tips and trying to help out, but do keep in mind that we are not professionals and some problems may be better discussed with trusted adults or professionals.

7. For Article Submissions, they can be about anything. Articles submitted for Writing Tips or Life Tips is always appreciated. When submitting an article, please link to a Google Doc that can be edited. Make sure to include your user (and link it) and house on the doc so that we can award points and give credit for your work!

8. Going forward, at the end of the month I will post the following on the thread: "Any posts made after this will not count towards points." I will be trying to stay consistent with this and plan on doing this on the last day of every month by 11:30 PM CST time. Please note that if this doesn't happen for a day (or more) then you can assume it's fair game to submit more things to the thread, since it is likely taking some time to get the next issue out. The Google form, however, will be closed the night before the next issue.
x Points System x Dear Stag Submission ……………………... 5 points
Featured Writing Nomination ……………… 5 points
Future Prompt Suggestion ……………….... 5 points
Compliment Submission ………………….... 5 points
Critique/Critique Piece Submission …… 5 points

Character Interview Submission ………… 10 points
Article Submission ……….................… 10 points

Prompt Submission
0-500 words ………………………. 10 points
500-1000 words ………………….. 20 points
1000-2000+ words ……………….. 30 points

Activity Participation - will vary depending on level of difficulty
Cᴏᴍᴍᴀɴᴅᴇʀ Sʜᴇᴘᴀʀᴅ
Admin
Location: In jail, probably, but that's okay because I work there.
House: Vipera

ᴀs ᴀғғʟᴀᴛᴜs: ɪssᴜᴇ ғɪғᴛᴇᴇɴ || ɪɴᴛᴇʀᴠɪᴇᴡ 1

Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:16 pm

• 1. Where does your character feel most at home?
                "With family or friends. Though I do have my own home, and it's rather nice and homey."

2. What's your character's biggest regret? Are they willing to admit it?
                "My biggest regret would have to be my ex-fiancee. She's a royal bitch."

3. What is one value your character holds that they will never break?
                "Compassion."

4. If your character had to lose one of their five senses, which would it be? Why?
                "Smell. I typically burn my enemies, I'd rather not have to smell the stench of a burning thrall."

5. What is your character's guilty pleasure?
                "Literally listening to people with accents speak."

6. How does your character like to celebrate their birthday?
                "Alcohol. Nuff said."

7. Has your character made a big sacrifice? If so, what is it?
                "Anytime I leave the comfort of my home, I am prepared to make a big sacrifice. My life is valued, don't get me wrong, but If I die while protecting The Last City, it will be a good death."

8. How does your character clear their head when they are upset?
                "I typically move away from the problem, preferably outside so that I can have a smoke. If that is not available, I pretend the person is a child and that they have a high pitched voice. Seems to work."

9. What is your character's best subject? Worst subject?
                "I enjoyed Math, but was not really a fan of English."

10. Does your character make friends easily?
                "I tend to drive people away with my fiery attitude. I do try to make friends sometimes, but there are just some people I cannot stand."

11. What’s the most important memory your character has?
                "Bringing my little girl home for the first time."

12. How does your character display affection?
                "I let down my walls just enough to let them in. It can be anywhere from a tender smile, to a small kiss."

13. If your character had one day to live how would they spend it?
                "With my daughter, so long as it was safe. I would bring friends along as well and enjoy a nice dinner party. When it is time, I would give them a bittersweet goodbye that they would always remember."

14. What makes your character truly happy?
                "My daughter. She is the light of my life."

15. What is your character’s favorite quote and why?
                "There are two quotes that I live by. Here they are.
                'If I am to die this night... I would see that the night does not pass quietly.'
                I will not go easily, and I will fight with my last breath to take down as many enemies as I can. They will not take me so easily.
                'Peace is not my profession, it is yours. War is my profession. Should you fail at your job, I will not fail at mine.'
                I am a soldier, a warrior. I fight wars to win them, not to give some level of peace to anyone. I will not fail.
                "
Cᴏᴍᴍᴀɴᴅᴇʀ Sʜᴇᴘᴀʀᴅ
Admin

ᴀs ᴀғғʟᴀᴛᴜs: ɪssᴜᴇ ғɪғᴛᴇᴇɴ || ɪɴᴛᴇʀᴠɪᴇᴡ 2

Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:17 pm

"In dark alleys that scream 'shady as fuck'. I'm a mercenary at heart, I live for the thrill."

"Digging into my first life. It's difficult to find out that your fiance in your first life has also been reborn, and has found someone else to fill your place."

"Loyalty."

4. If your character had to lose one of their five senses, which would it be? Why?
                "I'd have to say smell. Ninety percent of the people I deal with reek, and it's unpleasant."

"Dabbling in the black market. It's fun."

"Alcohol, steak dinner, and a warm bed to sleep in."

"I've given up a lot of things, the biggest one has to be hope. Hope for my fiance to come back to me. He seems generally happy with her though, so it's not in my business to pry them apart."

"I beat the shit out of things, not people though.. I mean unless that's part of my current task, then yeah."

"I was good at maths, and hated Science."

"That depends, honestly. I don't have a lot of friends, more so.. work contacts."

"My trek to the last city after I was first reborn. It's a nightmare I will never forget. So much death, so much pain, so much fear."

"I flirt a lot, it's not hard to get your way with a pretty face. I don't really show affection as much as I just want to get laid."

"Doing what I do best. Hunting down bounties and collecting the money for it. I don't really have much else to do, honestly."

"Alcohol and kittens."

"I have two. Let's start with the first.
                'I wandered the Earth a mercenary, daring the Gods to kill me but surviving because part of me was already dead.'
                I left behind the old me when I was reborn a Guardian. The best parts of me are long gone, and in its place stands a mercenary, me.
                The second one.
                'Heaven offers nothing that a mercenary soul can desire.'
                To me, this means doing things out of the goodness of my heart will get me nothing that I currently desire. If I want something, I will have to take it by force, and a killer is not welcomed in Heaven.
                "
Cᴏᴍᴍᴀɴᴅᴇʀ Sʜᴇᴘᴀʀᴅ
Admin

ᴀs ᴀғғʟᴀᴛᴜs: ɪssᴜᴇ ғɪғᴛᴇᴇɴ || ᴘʀᴏᴍᴘᴛ

Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:17 pm

Image Image Image
WORD COUNT : 1,064
    • spaceLife as a dragon had always been an interesting one. Especially during the early days when each day one had to worry about whether or not some ridiculously dressed knight would come along and try to slay you. Zephyir had never grown bored of such times, but eventually, the humans just stopped showing up. There were no glorious battles filled with the sting of metal and the scent of blood, there was no singed scent on the air that spoke of his victory. Perhaps the humans had finally learned their lessons, or perhaps the dragon had earned his right to be left alone. Being alone was not as bad as it would seem, for Zephyir grew to enjoy the silence, but it could grow quite boring after a while. Often, he would fill that silence with the beautiful sound of gold as it clashed against itself. It was never enough to truly fill the void of an eternal silence, but it was definitely better than feeling the sting of metal again. If anything, that was the only good thing that came from this solitude. No more physical pain.

On occasion, Zephyir would leave the warm caves that he called home in search of a meal. Generally, a couple deer would last him a week or so, bearing in mind that no one disturbed him enough to make him work up an even greater appetite. What the dragon did not expect was the sound of soft footfalls chasing after him as he slips through the caves small entrance to coil back up in its depths. Golden eyes watch the connecting cavern carefully, but no one dares to come this far into the dragon's den. Filled with what he could only describe as a sheer curiosity, Zephyir carefully rounds the corner and pokes his snout out into the open to take in the scent of whoever lurked close by. There was no scent of metal, only the delicate smell of wild roses. The dragon finds this peculiar, for such a scent should not find its way this far up the mountain. Before he can pull himself further back into the cave, movement catches his eyes, and he bares his teeth cautiously as a figure pushes from the brush.

"Mighty Dragon, please spare me." A soft voice calls, drifting beautifully along the wind as it reaches the beast. "I come to beg for your help, for your blessing, for your strength. Please, Dragon. Hear me, help me."

Alas, the source of the beautiful voice stands just before the beast, and his lips shudder back over his teeth as his snout inches closer. Being as delicate as he can, the Dragon presses a single nostril to the side of the woman's garb, pulling in the scent of those beautiful wild roses. "Wild Rose of the kingdom, a brave heart you must have." The words rumble deep from the dragon's chest, escaping from its parted maw as his head withdraws to tower over her. With her in such close proximity, the Dragon must only use one of his eyes to keep her in his sight, and it blinks slowly as it takes in her appearance. "You are troubled, Wild Rose, troubled enough to leave the comfort of your walls and approach serious danger. All to ask Zephyir of something that she would call a blessing but others may consider a curse." A forked tongue slips between his jagged teeth, tasting the air to see if the woman had come alone, or if she had been attempting to set him up for an easy hunt. "Tell Zephyir what Wild Rose seeks, then he will decide if she deserves what she requests."

"I am to be forced into a marriage with a pompous ass of a man. My father states that it is for the good of the kingdom, but what good is it if it will only cause me unhappiness." The woman kneels before Zephyir, reaching her hand out gently to place it upon the roughly textured scales on his nose. "Please, Zephyir. I beg that you take me away, to make it look as if I have perished. I do not wish to marry this man. I would much rather die."

"Wild Rose speaks of unhappiness, of forced marriage. It is sad to see how the kingdoms operate, but Zephyir can do as Wild Rose asks. He can whisk away the Wild Rose in a public display, but does she realize that it will bring the wrath of the king's men to his home? Zephyir has not seen another Dragon in many years, but he has also not seen the humans for just as long. Perhaps they will not know of his home, but is that a risk that Wild Rose feels is necessary?" The Dragon is curious of her touch, rubbing his nose against the small hand that rests against it just to feel its soft texture.

"No one knows for sure where your lair is, for it has been years since anyone has dared make this journey through the woods. They have become dangerous as of lately, for many bandits roam off the path, searching for their prey like a wolf. We would be safe, I would stay far from your business and let you be, but keep you company in times of need."

Zephyir ponders her words for a few moments, withdrawing his snout from her hand as he pulls the rest of his massive body from the cave. Her eyes sparkle with wonder as she looks him over, but he does not waste any more time. She needed his help, and he would give her that much. A deep rumble sounds from his chest as he dips his head low, his eyes hiding behind their lids as his body shudders under the waves of magic he possessed. Within minutes, the form of the dragon is gone, and in its place stands a red-cloaked man dawning a shining coat of armor. His hand is held out to her as his golden eyes flicker back open, his lips pulling back to reveal the still sharp teeth. "Lead me to your home, Wild Rose. Zephyir will protect her along the journey, and once we are close enough, he will make her wish come true. Together, we will return to my home, and she will live happily ever after."
Cᴏᴍᴍᴀɴᴅᴇʀ Sʜᴇᴘᴀʀᴅ
Admin

ᴀs ᴀғғʟᴀᴛᴜs: ɪssᴜᴇ ғɪғᴛᴇᴇɴ || ᴀᴄᴛɪᴠɪᴛʏ

Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:25 pm

• 1. Which OC would accidentally get married?
      Ben

2. Which OC is a picky eater?
      Mehki

3. Which OC would get stuck up in a tree?
      Carmine

4. Which OC has same-sex parents?
      Charlotte

5. Which OC uses a lot of emojis when they text?
      Weston

6. Which OC fears big dogs?
      Cree

7. Which OC would collect seashells from the beach?
      Faye

8. Which OC had braces in high school?
      Wreav

9. Which OC says they're not scared of horror movies, but jumps at every jump scare?
      Devan

10. Which OC isn't scared of jump scares?
      Axel

11. Which OC would trip over themselves trying to walk in heels?
      Carmela

12. Which OC would eat pineapple on pizza?
      Ryker

13. Which OC tries to stay out of trouble, but trouble always seems to find them?
      Carmela

14. Which OC can run in heels?
      Lucina

15. Which OC would attract random animals?
      T'sanji
caligo
Black Belt
House: Halcyon

Re: AS Afflatus: Issue Fifteen

Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:00 pm

1. Which OC would accidentally get married?

Russell. you know, people tend to do some questionable things under the effects of alcohol. And being the party animal he is, you wouldn't be surprised if one day he woke up in Las Vegas with a ring sparkling on his finger as he lays down on an unknown bed next to a woman he can barely remember. Of course, he'd waste no time and get those divorce papers.

Emelda she has always been a picky eater. Ever since she was a kid, if what was on her plate didn't look good enough, she'd refuse to even try it. As she grew older, she became more welcoming of new things and tastes anything as long as it doesn't have eyes. shrimps are a big no for her. but still, it's difficult for her system to accept many things. She still pushes the beans to the side of her plate among other things.

Frankie just ask her brothers how many times they had to rescue her because she couldn't climb back down. Ever since forever, Francesca has been great at outdoors activities. She was part of several summer camps and seemed to stand out due to her abilities. start a campfire? easy build a tent? easy climb a tree? easy ! go back down? sometimes easy.

Barbara she's an interesting one. Barbara is an adopted child. She indeed has two dads. Tyler & Patrick Miller. She loves them both very much and it is no secret that she is a bit of an spoiled child. Of course she's never complaining. And can you blame them?

Sebastian why does he use so many? nobody knows. His favourite one is the one sticking it's tongue out.

William in spite of how scary he can be, big ferocious animals are his kryptonite. be it big dogs, or big cats. You could own the friendliest rottweiler and he wouldn't go near it.

Simone loves the beach because it is where her parents used to take her for holidays for years. When finally bored of her books, she would take a long walk along the shore and pick the most colourful seashells she could find. She collects small objects like that.

Oliver he had to wear them for about four years ever since he was 13 and absolutely despised them for at least half of that time. He was often bothered by a few other students because of how it affected his speech, but with his sister's help, that didn't last. he later got used to them, but it's needless to say he was relieved when they were finally gone.

9. Which OC says they're not scared of horror movies, but jumps at every jump scare?
Ryder he will probably deny it until the day of his death, but this boy is surprisingly easy to startle and surprise.

Felix he likes the thrill of horror movies and isn't specifically impressed by jump scares. And though they can make him jump from his seat if distracted enough, he is amused by them. And guess what? during horror movie watching session he's usually the one playfully making Ryder jump up.

Presley she's not the type of girl who likes walking around in heels. She prefers comfortable over fancy. Trainers are usually her go to. Or combat boots. She has tried to wear high heels before however. To keep the balance was a pretty difficult task, she kept feeling like a newborn giraffe trying to walk.

Lyra she loves it honestly, Lyra doesn't really understand what is it that makes so many people dislike the pineapple on the pizza. You can fight her for it, she'll defend her pineapple.

13. Which OC tries to stay out of trouble, but trouble always seems to find them?
Harrison I mean it's true. But I wouldn't be surprised. His family is a big mess and he's the oldest of three siblings and the only one who doesn't completely lack a sense of responsibility. In his head, at least.

Robin contrary to Presley (who's surprisingly a pretty close friend of hers), Robin is all about dressing to impress and she's great at it. She easily runs with heels. Though obviously, you always run faster without them.

Pandora She loves animals and most animals love her too. Most domestic creatures easily seem to grow fond of her. It is like some sort of gift she's pretty proud of. She is always being followed home by friendly strays. That part might be a curse because she can't keep them all and it breaks her heart.
Memory.
Black Belt

↪ ᴄᴀʟɪxᴛᴇ : ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴᴛᴇʀᴠɪᴇᴡ 1

Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:18 am

• Image Image Image
                Probably whenever he's around his brothers, or when he's out taking a walk in the middle of the night.

A lot of things. For instance, planning to kill off his brothers

Love and let live.
  • 4. If your character had to lose one of their five senses, which would it be? Why?
    Sight, he has no use for it.

Inviting people to his house for tea and cake

He doesn't. Birthdays mean almost nothing to him, unless it's someone else's birthday.

He's put his life on the line many times for his job, or just to protect either of his two brothers alone.

He'll either take a walk outside for an hour, or he'll go to bed if he doesn't feel like it.

Science is probably his worst. Best subject would have to be English, or anything that pertains to it.

Not only does he make friends too easily, but he trusts people too easily as well.

All of the memories he had with Saul, who is now his ex best friend.

Not openly/outwardly. He'll most likely start to ignore the other person out of fear, or he'll talk to someone else about how much he admires said person.

He would go. Not to anywhere specific, he'd just be gone.

Honestly? He isn't even quite sure himself. The one person who made him truly happy no longer talks to him, let alone the fact that they're not even on the same side of things anymore. His brothers make him happy, but only sometimes.

He's his own favorite quote.
Memory.
Black Belt

↪ ᴄᴀsᴘᴀʀ : ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴᴛᴇʀᴠɪᴇᴡ 2

Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:19 am

• Image Image Image
                Caspar never quite feels at home, mostly because his sense of home and security had been skewed by past experiences of living under noble rule.

His biggest regret is not being strong enough to save his best friend many years ago. He often believes that it's his own fault why things were the way that they were, and if he had been stronger they both would have made it out alive and human.
  • 3. What is one value your character holds that they will never break?
    Friendship values. He's broken them once before, and never wants to break them ever again. Though, if he valued every single piece of friendship it would be quite exhausting, so he tends to stay away from social interactions as a whole.

Taste, because it's the one sense he doesn't care too much about.

Fantasizing about the worst possible scenario.

Cake and a bottle of whiskey. Maybe spent with his best friend? Probably not though.

Yes, multiple times. One thing being friends with someone that's otherwise looked down upon.

He has multiple methods of clearing his head. Sometimes he'll relay his worries to a friend, but other times he'll prefer to be alone. Sometimes he'll be thinking of ways to get the revenge that he and his friend so clearingly deserve, and other times he'll be training. It all depends on what made him upset, and how upset he's become.

He doesn't have a 'best' subject, and is pretty much terrible at anything academic.

Nope, not at all. He only has one friend, and that doesn't help his case much either.

Being found and taken in by an organization that wants to eradicate all of the nobles.

It's not everyday that he's affectionate, and even when he is he's very selective about the people he lets in. He's very open and outward to those that he trusts and hold dear to his heart.

He would probably spend the day trying to get as far away from people as possible, specifically Isao, so that he wouldn't have to see him die.

Fighting for a cause, being chaotic, and Isao.

"I've reached my limit for social interactions today..." - Isao, while trying to talk Caspar down from offering up his own blood. He finds the quote to be quite easy to relate to.
Memory.
Black Belt

↪ ᴀғғʟᴀᴛᴜs ᴀᴄᴛɪᴠɪᴛʏ : ᴏᴄ ǫᴜᴇsᴛɪᴏɴs

Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:34 am

• 1. Which OC would accidentally get married?
    Kaede. He's always putting himself out there, but doesn't always know what's going on.

Amis. He really does not like sweet foods, and will try to get out of eating every vegetable.

Aleksy. He has no problem with heights going up, but coming down is a different story.

Aleksy

Probably Marcel

Aleksy

Kaede

Adeline

Sky

Mason

Kaede

Marcel

Marcel

Aurelia

Marcel and Kaede
amnesia.
Black Belt

- character interview ❝ daisuke

Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:05 pm

probably in a library, he's always had a love for reading and with his current line of work it's very rare that he's able to spend time there
            there are quite a few regrets that daisuke has in his lifetime, the majority of which he finds difficult to speak about with others. so far his two largest regrets in life thus far was in his younger years not turning back to help someone in a dire situation in order to save himself, and his other being not knowing about elois' troubles and being unable to help him
            the strongest value he holds onto is his sense of justice, due to regrets in his younger years he's unable to turn away from anyone that needs help, regardless of how detrimental it would be to himself
            he values all of his senses, but if he absolutely had to choose then it would probably be smell because it's the one he relies on the least
            it would have to be a tie between iced tea and face masks, iced tea isn't really something that he feels guilty about but his habit of buying mud face masks is something that he likes to keep quiet
            he doesn't really enjoy celebrating his birthday, if he can get away with keeping it quiet from friends and continue about his day then he most definitely will
            he's made sacrifices for other people multiple times, though probably his largest sacrifice would be leaving behind his family in order to keep them safe
            daisuke will either do one out of two things; he will either seclude himself from other people ranging anywhere from a few hours to a few days or he will immerse himself within other peoples' company in order to try and forget about his problems and suppress them for a little while
            given how long he's been alive history would most likely be his best subject, either that or anything literature based. as for his worst subject it would most definitely have to be mathematics, he has dyscalculia and as such has difficulty reading and comprehending numbers
            yes, apart from a few brief periods in his life daisuke has always been an outgoing, personable being. he adapts relatively well to the personalities of those around him and for the most part, his relaxed demeanour is what draws other people to him
            there are quite a few memories that he dubs as important, he views any situation that helped change his personality and make him into a better person as important
            it will heavily depend on the person and his relationship with them, but for the most part it'll be in varying forms of physical contact such as hugs, linking arms on occasion, sitting close or in relationships buying things he sees in shops simply because he thinks his partner would like them
            he'd want to spend it with the people he holds near and dear, so that their last memories of him are pleasant his last few moments on this earth were happy ones
            the small things - a friend remembering one of his favourite things, little surprises, and of course cats. he isn't one to enjoy grand or expensive gestures, just the little things that show others care. either that or knowing that something he's done was enough to help or make someone else smile
            "good actions give strength to ourselves and inspire good actions in others" - plato. ever since hearing it it's been a saying that he truly believes in and has tried to live his life by