AS Afflatus: Issue Seventeen

Where you can find all published issues of the Advanced Scribes Afflatus, our very own newsletter!
ichor.
Archivist
House: Halcyon Keeper

AS Afflatus - Issue 17 - Reminders & Point System

Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:14 am

Image x
Just a couple of reminders for the Afflatus! x
1. When nominating a writing piece for the Featured Writing, keep in mind that nominations should come from the Share Your Writing forum (or the Fanfiction forum). Nominations can also come from any prompt event held and from the NaNoWriMo event. Nominations can also come from house run prompt threads. As long as the nomination is not from a role-play forum, it is fair game. The purpose is to shine light on individuals' personal work and stories, rather than role-plays. Make sure to include a direct link to the post.

2. Please submit all of the following through the Google form, in order to make point keeping easier.
- Dear Stag Submissions
- Prompt Suggestions
- Featured Writing Nominations
- Anonymous Compliments and Critiques

3. When posting submissions to the thread (character interviews and prompts), please make sure the words Character Interview or Prompt are there in the title post. It's not a big deal if forgotten, however. Also, please post each character interview and prompt submission separately. If you submit three things, submit them all on separate posts for easier point keeping!

4. Remember, you can post up to two (2) character interviews per issue.

5. Please keep in mind the fact that we are not professional therapists when submitting your Dear Stags. We love offering tips and trying to help out, but do keep in mind that we are not professionals and some problems may be better discussed with trusted adults or professionals.

6. Going forward, at the end of the month I will post the following on the thread: "Any posts made after this will not count towards points." I will be trying to stay consistent with this and plan on doing this on the last day of every month by 11:30 PM CST time.
x Points System x Dear Stag Submission ……………………... 5 points
Featured Writing Nomination ……………… 5 points
Future Prompt Suggestion ……………….... 5 points
Compliment Submission ………………….... 5 points
Critique/Critique Piece Submission ……….. 5 points

Character Interview Submission ………… 10 points

Prompt Submission
0-500 words ………………………. 10 points
500-1000 words ………………….. 20 points
1000-2000+ words ……………….. 30 points

Activity Participation - will vary depending on level of difficulty
Spiritstar3
Bronze Belt
Location: Did the CCG catch me? No, I'm with my precious tiger baby, and Muratas bein a creeper in the corner.
House: Halcyon

AS Afflatus 17 Character Interview One

Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:58 am

Aishe
(made by BlueJade1324, CS)
https://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/v ... ?t=3931211

1. Is your character a night owl or day walker?
He could honestly be both, as he is a knight. It just depends when his Lord needs him to walk the streets and look out for suspicious things, or patrol the mansion.

2. Does your character like to daydream?
Not really, he doesn’t have the time for that. As he has to watch out for suspicious characters, activity, listen for odd things, he doesn’t really have the liberty. He has to be on alert all the time.

3. Would you say your character is a team player?
Oh, yes, absolutely, as he sometimes has to go out on patrol with other knights. He also has his horse, so guess that’s a team effort?

4. Could your character imagine a life settled down right now or are there things they wish to do first?
He could kind of, but he has a job to do, so he’d still have to be able to do his job.

5. What is your character’s favorite season and why?
Probably autumn, because it’s not too hot and not too cold. Also, for some reason, in their kingdom, the crime rates and odd happenings drop significantly in the fall.

6. What does the word ‘strength’ mean to your character?
It means the ability to protect those he loves, cares for, and is loyal to.

7. Does your character prefer team sports or to play alone?
He doesn’t really do sports, unless you count Jousting, which he loves.

8. If your character could, where in the past would they visit?
Not really sure, haven’t decided yet if he’s in the past himself.

9. How does your character display anger?
Through his sword...He goes onto the practice field to slice up trees and the practice dummies, a lot more aggressively.

10. If your character were enjoying a cheat day, what would they be enjoying?
Probably chocolate, because they don’t really get to eat that, as it could be fattening, and he loves it so much.

11. If your character were to visit anywhere in the world, where would they go and why?
Likely Japan or Ireland, as he’s got Asian friends, and his maternal grandmother is Irish.

12. If your character had control of an element, which would it be and why?
Probably fire, because he likes the color, and it could aid him a great deal in dealing with enemies and such.

13. Does your character have a hobby they enjoy?
Being with his horse...lol
Doing things on horseback, like going down to the shore.

14. Does your character know any languages, or would they like to learn some? Which ones?
He knows a bit of Irish, from his Grandmother, and his friends have taught him some Japanese and Korean, and Chinese.

15. What are your character’s thoughts about their friends?
He loves them all, platonically, including his Lord’s dog. Yes, the Shepherd is considered a friend of his.
Last edited by Spiritstar3 on Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spiritstar3
Bronze Belt
Location: Did the CCG catch me? No, I'm with my precious tiger baby, and Muratas bein a creeper in the corner.

Re: AS Afflatus 17 Character Interview Two

Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:58 am

Nezune (Neh-zoo-neigh)
https://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/v ... &t=3933181
(right side art done by Maninkari)

He actually seems to like night a lot more, because his parents are asleep and Nezumi, his rat, is awake.

Yes, he does, as simple as that. He likes to think about getting more rats, getting away from his parents, and getting someone to love and be loved by.

I guess so? If there’s school projects or anything, he tries to help out the best he can, and make sure others are too.

4. Could your character imagine a life settled down right now or are there things they wish to do first?
He’s only 18 or 19, so not really? He doesn’t even have anyone yet.

Summer, because it’s his birth season, and he got his Nezumi in the summer.

Being able to break away, do things for yourself, and defend those you love.

He doesn’t really do sports, but he likes training Nezumi to do things a rat can actually do.

Japan, because it’s his country, but he’d like to see what Feudal Japan was like.

He doesn’t, really, unless you notice the narrowing of his eyes, and his frown.

Chocolate, because his parents won’t let him eat it, because they think it’s fattening. Well, he’s moving out soon, so...

11. If your character were to visit anywhere in the world, where would they go and why?
America, because there’s lots of opportunities out there (and he likely will, once he’s done with school, or maybe he’ll go there for college).

Animal transformation/shifting, because then he could turn into a rat and understand Nezumi, or a fox and run away with the rat.

Training Nezumi, and reading books.

14. Does your character know any languages, or would they like to learn some? Which ones?
Japanese, because he’s Japanese, and English because quite a few people know it.

He really likes them, because they invite him over and it gets him away from his parents for at least a few hours or so. Plus, they all like his Nezumi.
Last edited by Spiritstar3 on Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spiritstar3
Bronze Belt

AS Afflatus 17 Activity

Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:10 am

1. What is your major / planned major?
Dog training, actually.

2. Are you an early bird or a night owl?
Night owl...i try to be good and go to bed, though.

3. What is your favorite genre to write?
Anime! does that count? I write a lot of anime related fanfics.

4. What was the last book you read?
Ha ha, re read 4 volumes of a manga: Of the Red, the Light, and the Ayakashi.

5. At what age did you get into roleplaying?
I think middle school?

6. Team Edward or Team Jacob?
neither...Team Reneesme!

7. What fictional character would you like to have in your life?
Eh heh, probably Hide and/or Juuzou from Tokyo Ghoul. Baes!

8. What written piece are you most proud of?
Oh gosh, there’s a lot...but definitely my SaiOuma ones.

9. What question do you hate to answer?
Ano...I don’t know? ones i can’t actually come up with answers for.

10. If you were in the circus, what would you perform?
Dog whatever it’s called.

11. Do you get attached easily?
To animals...lol. Not to many people.

12. What are you most looking forward to in your future?
Hopefully having a puppy or horse, or more rats, one day. Or a nephew or niece.

13. What is the kindest thing a stranger has ever done for you?
People on the Internet are basically strangers, but two or three of my online friends talked me out of taking my own life, and kept messaging me to make me feel better.

14. Who knows more about you than anyone else?
Probably any of my siblings, and my parents, my pets.

15. What is your current desktop background picture?
I don’t even remember...collages made on Paint.

16. Hotdogs or cheeseburgers?
Cheeseburgers, without buns, don’t have to check for MSG.

17. Have you ever thrown a party?
Nope.

18. What’s the first thing you notice in the gender you are attracted to?
Haven’t been attracted in a long time...it’s always flippin anime chars, and you know how ridiculously hot they are...

19. What’s the longest you’ve ever spent in the wilderness?
Camping at a campsite in an actual tent, though i guess cabins count? The cabin was like a weekend, the campground was only hours because i got sick.

20. What quote best defines your life?
Idk, actually, something about animals if I can find one
Last edited by Spiritstar3 on Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spiritstar3
Bronze Belt

AS Afflatus 17 Prompt

Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:12 am

https://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/v ... ?t=3944832
https://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/v ... ?t=3934472
(her pet)

https://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/v ... ?t=3921385
https://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/v ... ?t=3934433
(her pet)

maybe:
(the fox girl)
https://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/v ... ?t=3921423

“Who the hell are you?”

“Your worst nightmare.”

A tan skinned and curly haired redhead made her way down the street, a side street actually. She blinked brown eyes, staring down at the torn purple shirt and torn shorts she wore, then shook her head and tugged at the collar again. She’d had it since she was a small child, though the cat eared man had had to get a bigger one once in awhile, as she’d grown. He was gone now, passed away, and the bell on the collar had fallen off long ago. The bell hadn’t even matched, it had been green, but all his owned Ones had worn green bells. Jessa yelped when something ran up her leg, earning odd looks but ignoring them, in order to look down at what had climbed her. It was a tan rat with a white lower jaw and markings, and she smiled as she rubbed his forehead with one finger. “Hey, Ishmael.” she said to the rat, whom she’d picked up weeks ago.

Meanwhile, as she was sighing and continuing along, an odd sight could be witnessed above, if one actually looked to the sky. A woman in witch attire, with short dark red hair was sat on a broom, an orange tabby in her lap. He grinned at his mistress, saying “Isai, Isai, that’s an interesting one right?” The dark red haired woman shook her head at the cat, but continued to fly after the other red haired female, whom appeared a bit younger than she. The cat continued to chuckle, shutting up when Isai said “Be quiet, Seilem.” He huffed but remained silent, golden eyes focused intently on the gal with the rat. Jessa moved away from the main area, going towards a place less inhabited, one where poverty lived...She walked through there, searching for food and wishing she could provide for the children there...She continued on to a little rundown shop, which had been cleared out and empty for awhile now, but she’d made it her temporary dwelling for the moment.

Isai dropped down into the little fenced in back area, which she assumed once was a sort of yard, maybe with a garden, and slipped off the broom, flipping it up and walking with it in one hand. She entered the back of the shop, gesturing Seilem to go before her, and he began to walk on four legs, like a normal cat. Jessa gasped when she saw the ginger tabby with white paws and tail tip, ignoring Ishmael’s frantic squeaks and lashing tail. She crouched down and held out a hand, assuming it to be a local stray, and said “Hello, kitty.” Seilem mewed as if he couldn’t speak, sniffing her hand and butting it gently. He began to purr, quietly, almost embarrassed by it but he kind of liked this girl. Jessa hadn’t noticed Isai, yelping and scrambling back when the woman cleared her throat. “Wh-Who the hell are you?!” Jessa squeaked, cursing herself as Isai chuckled. “Your worst nightmare.” the older woman said, snapping her fingers and Jessa began to float inches off the ground. She yelped and shouted as they left the shop, then the area, arriving to a nice home after awhile.

“Welcome to your new home.” Isai said, dropping her in front of a red haired fox girl, whom helped her up and hurried her off to a bathroom, starting a bath and quickly stripping and cleaning her, drying and giving her new clothes.

(probably continuing this elsewhere)
[576 words]
Last edited by Spiritstar3 on Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:23 am, edited 5 times in total.
♚ Ren
Yellow Belt
House: Amaranthine

Re: AS Afflatus: Issue Seventeen

Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:32 am

1. What is your major / planned major? Business.
2. Are you an early bird or a night owl? Definitely a night owl. It's 3:30 right now. XD
3. What is your favorite genre to write? Fantasy! Absolutely love it. And a bit of modern sci-fi.
4. What was the last book you read? The last book I read was....I think Battle of the Labyrinth. I read it to my sister.
6. Team Edward or Team Jacob? (who doesn’t like a ridiculous question?) Team Edward.
7. What fictional character would you like to have in your life? One of the ones I created. Or Percy Jackson.
8. What written piece are you most proud of? The novel I'm currently writing.
9. What question do you hate to answer? "Why can't you tell me?"
10. If you were in the circus, what would you perform? Bitch I'd be the ringmaster.
11. Do you get attached easily? Too easily.
12. What are you most looking forward to in your future? It's hard for me to look forward to the extended future. But in Jan I'm visiting Connor and Halo in New York.
13. What is the kindest thing a stranger has ever done for you? I can't even remember.
14. Who knows more about you than anyone else? My dad. I've told him everything.
15. What is your current desktop background picture? Artwork that Cali drew for me once. I love it.
16. Hotdogs or cheeseburgers? Neither. Both are gross. Unless they don't have buns or ketchup. I'll just eat the meat.
17. Have you ever thrown a party? Loads of times. I was a party thrower when I was a kid. XD
18. What’s the first thing you notice in the gender you are attracted to? Facial structures. Face. Beauty, ect.
19. What’s the longest you’ve ever spent in the wilderness? Six. It was an extended camping trip.
20. What quote best defines your life? "'Cause I've learned to slam on the brake before I even turn the key."
sylver
Orange Belt

AS Afflatus: Issue Seventeen - Activity

Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:03 pm

• 1. What is your major / planned major?
    don't have one. probably will never get to go to college/university either. if i did though, probably something like journalism.

night owl, definitely. i could stay up forever at night. main reason i'm keeping an eye on jobs with night time shifts tbh

fantasy, definitely. especially dark high fantasy.

animal farm by george orwell

i'm pretty sure i was around eleven years old.

6. Team Edward or Team Jacob? (who doesn’t like a ridiculous question?)
    can i just pick neither tbh? not even hating on twilight itself, i really just dislike both of them.

dorian pavus from the dragon age series.

i don't really have one specific piece i look at and go, "wow, this is amazing, let the world see it!" i got praise from quite a few people for this piece of personal writing & this summer prompt though, despite the fact that i was never suer happy with either.

"what do you want to do with your life?" i don't know. i really don't know. i barely even know what will bring me joy next year. so asking me to look ten, twenty years into the future and tell them what i want to have achieved by then is... stressful tbh.

probably shit "magic" tricks.

yes and no. if i do click with someone, i get attached within a few days tbh. if i don't really click with a person though, which is usually the case since i'm generally drawn to specific personality types paired with specific interests, there's a 95% chance i'll never see them as more than a good acquaintance. i'm shit at the whole interpersonal relationship thing, i know.

possibly becoming a happier person with better mental health.

honestly, any teacher and colleague i ever had who complimented me on anything. it really means a lot to me, and it's the main reason i'm still doing some of the things i do now. writing, for example. i would have quit ages ago, if it weren't for the people who get absolutely nothing from lying to me that told me i was a good writer.

probably vic/my wife tbh.

this one right here. it's animated, too.

cheeseburgers.

uh, yes, kinda?

smell, eyes & hair.

not very long. i've never been camping, so most likely less than a day. a few hours, maybe.

"since it's impossible to know which period of my life is the middle, i've decided to have an ongoing crisis." does that count lmao
sylver
Orange Belt

character interview / khayrat

Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:23 pm

• 1. Is your character a night owl or day walker? More of a night owl. Khayrat is often awake until the early morning hours, so while she doesn't necessarily hate mornings, she's rarely awake when the average person gets up. Chances are that she has just collapsed into bed when everyone else around her wakes up.

2. Does your character like to daydream? She's actually not much of a daydreamer Sometimes Khayrat does zone out, but she is a very active and energetic person, so she's usually occupied with other things and activities than daydreaming.

3. Would you say your character is a team player? Hm, for the most part? As long as she gets along with every team member and none of them restrict her freedom in any way, shape, or form, Khayrat actually really enjoys being part of a team. It's when anyone expects her to go along with their rules that things do get a bit difficult. She's not one to play by the rules of others and will literally fight anyone who tries to force her into being someone, or doing something she doesn't like. So yeah, give her her freedom, and she will happily work with you.

4. Could your character imagine a life settled down right now or are there things they wish to do first? Not really, for various reasons. She's still rather young and just wants to experience life, and there are also a few things she feels she has to do in her life. There's also the fact that she's just... not really the type of person anyone, including herself, can see settling down? She's so full of energy, so hot-headed and temperamental, so flighty and rowdy, that settling down just doesn't seem like her thing at all, y'know? Doesn't mean she never fantasizes about it, of course, but right now it definitely isn't something she would consider for even a moment.

5. What is your character’s favorite season and why? Summer! Khayrat loves the heat, and she loves how long the days are. There's also just so much to do during summer, be it swimming and camping by the lake at night, or just drinking and playing cards in a local bar.

6. What does the word ‘strength’ mean to your character? Never giving up, and never submitting to anything and anyone. Being yourself, no matter what, and always staying true to yourself. Fighting for freedom, especially when no one else will.

7. Does your character prefer team sports or to play alone? Team sports! She doesn't really enjoy being alone. It really isn't fun to her at all.

8. If your character could, where in the past would they visit? If we're talking her universe, she'd most likely want to visit her own mother when she was a child. Just to see what she was like back then, and how she really grew up. Her mother's family isn't exactly charitable with that kind of information, and since her mother barely ever talked about her childhood when she was still alive, it is something she's fairly curious about.

9. How does your character display anger? Khayrat is the kind to get really, really loud and physically agitated. When she's angry, she'll usually yell and curse while pacing around and making a lot of quick, erratic movements with her arms. Chances are she'll also snarl/bare her fangs when she's really pissed. Sometimes she might even break something, and if someone who isn't her friend angers her, she might even attack them.

10. If your character were enjoying a cheat day, what would they be enjoying? Probably any and all spicy foods she can get her hands on. Especially hearty dishes with meat. She also won't say no to a nice slice of chocolate cake with whipped cream and warm cherries for dessert.

11. If your character were to visit anywhere in the world, where would they go and why? Doesn't really matter if we're talking her world, or our world. She'd be thrilled to see any place, to be completely honest! She's super adventurous and wants to see and experience as many things as she can. Although, if we go with our world for a moment, I personally could see her being really enamored with Australia for several reasons. In the same vein as Australia, she would also definitely love visiting the currently unnamed hot, desert-y area I'm trying to develop right now. Lots of places to explore, lots of heat, lots of hiking and climbing and just... enjoying life far, far away from civilizations and all of its obligations.

12. If your character had control of an element, which would it be and why? Khayrat would clearly be able to control fire. She's passionate and hot-tempered, unpredictable and wild, yet a bright light in the life of those who know how to handle her. She could devour the world, or be a source of warmth and comfort.

13. Does your character have a hobby they enjoy? She enjoys a little bit of everything. Drinking, dancing, swimming, hiking, horseback riding, brawling. As long as it's something that keeps her body and mind occupied, she'll enjoy it! It's only hobbies that require her to sit still for a long time (such as reading), or activities that require a lot of patience (such as sewing clothes).

14. Does your character know any languages, or would they like to learn some? Which ones? Khayrat knows the common language of the universe (so "English", pretty much), as well as her father's demonic language fluently. She also learned a bit of elvish from her mother, but she understands it better than she speaks it (and there's so many different dialects that further confuse her too).

15. What are your character’s thoughts about their friends? She has a lot of friends she spends time with, but her circle of close friends is a lot smaller. To her, there's a huge difference between the friends she drinks with, and the friends she actually puts her trust in. She's not reserved and secretive by any means, but even Khayrat has some things and feelings and thoughts she wouldn't just share with everyone. She can spend a few merry hours with her friends, but her true friends are the ones she would be happy to spend her life with somehow.
Last edited by sylver on Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Gamora.
Black Belt

Activity

Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:32 pm

• 1. What is your major / planned major?
      Don't have one. Have an Office Admin certificate from college though.
      Night owl.
      Is Marvel a genre? lmao.
      Good fucking question.
      Grade 7, so 12 years old probably.
      6. Team Edward or Team Jacob? (who doesn’t like a ridiculous question?)
      I shammlesley love Twilight so I could write a novel on this.
      Team Edward for Bella, Team Jacob for Renesmee, Team Leah for me eyo.
      Gamora...& Starlord.
      Tbh the sin bin is my pride and joy.
      "Have you ever tried sleeping with a man?" No, Brenda. I am a lesbian and have no interest.
      Have you ever tried sleeping with a woman? No? Didn't think so, sweetheart.
      Something to do with horses probably.
      Fun fact, I have an attachment disorder, so yes I do.
      Hopefully one day spending the rest of my life with her.
      I gave some parking spots out to a few clients who have been on the wait list forever and one brought me chocolates and the other brought me earrings xD
      Lev & Autumn probably.
      Mora, my sphynx kitten!
      Depends on the day. But I do love cheeseburgers.
      A family party or birthday party when I was a kid.
      Personality above anything else.
      A couple hours hiking or something, but that's it.
      It is what it is.
      xx
      xx
      xx
      xx
      xx
      xx
      xx
      xx
      ↠ in the darkest times, hope ───────

just a twenty year old cat mom who spends too
      much time crying over fandoms. honestly im just
      marvel and avatar trash. my pms are always open

───── is something you give yourself ↞
Gamora.
Black Belt

Character Interview #1

Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:56 pm

VERITY SIMMONS

Night owl. She's usually up for hours in the middle of the night drawing.
                  Not really. Maybe on occasion.
                  "I'm my own team. Leave me alone and I'll be happy."
                  "If anyone would want to settle with me, I'd be damn surprised."
                  Winter. She loves snow.
                  "Just keep going and don't give up. Life is gonna throw you some real shit, just keep moving through it."
                  Alone. She likes to be alone in general. She wasn't that great of a team player in the gang.
                  She wouldn't want to.
                  Hitting things. Not people, but walls and such. She can't go to drugs and alcohol anymore to help her.
                  "A lot of chocolate."
                  Europe and New York. She wants to tour Europe and get tattoos in New York.
                  "Fire. It would be cool."
                  Drawing.
                  She'd like to learn french, but has no real motivation to do it.
                  "I don't really have any friends. A couple good coworkers, but that's it. They're cool though."
      xx
      xx
      xx
      xx
      xx
      xx
      xx
      xx
      ↠ in the darkest times, hope ───────

just a twenty year old cat mom who spends too
      much time crying over fandoms. honestly im just
      marvel and avatar trash. my pms are always open