AS Afflatus: Issue Seventeen

Where you can find all published issues of the Advanced Scribes Afflatus, our very own newsletter!
thunderofthebun
Administrator
House: Halcyon

Re: AS Afflatus - Issue 17 - Activity Center

Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:31 pm

I love that someone suggested doing an open ended, easy activity that all staff can participate in!

1. What is your major / planned major?
I started college with a major in zoology and a minor in chemistry, but switched halfway through. I have my bachelors in wildlife biology and I'm also a certified GIS tech (aka digital cartography and spatial analysis).
2. Are you an early bird or a night owl?
In the middle - I LOVE mornings but I HATE waking up early.
3. What is your favorite genre to write?
Probably realistic or fantasy. I adore science fiction but sometimes it's hard for me to write out.
4. What was the last book you read?
I'm currently reading the Lies of Locke Lamora and a few months ago I reread A Wrinkle In Time.
5. At what age did you get into roleplaying?
11-12
6. Team Edward or Team Jacob? (who doesn’t like a ridiculous question?)
I very much dislike Twilight but if I decided on attractiveness, definitely Jacob.
7. What fictional character would you like to have in your life?
That is a crazy hard question. I'll have to think on it. In the meantime, maybe the Weasleys?
8. What written piece are you most proud of?
It wasn't a full story but rather the set up and first few posts of a roleplay I made years ago, complete with a prophecy and little bits of inspiration from a couple fantasy series but set in Potterverse.
9. What question do you hate to answer?
Basically how much I have accomplished. Whether in life, at work for the day, whatever. Always makes me freeze up, but I'm getting better at seeing my merit and progress.
10. If you were in the circus, what would you perform?
Definitely something with animals.
11. Do you get attached easily?
I USED to get attached easily. Now the answer is no. I'm pretty practical with people and personal items, though I can still be a little bit of an impulse shopper.
12. What are you most looking forward to in your future?
Call me a fruitcake but honestly, getting married and making a home with someone.
ALSO PAYING OFF MY STUDENT LOANS OMG.
13. What is the kindest thing a stranger has ever done for you?
I don't know about the kindEST, but just on Sunday my shopping cart baaarely brushed a stupid basket of bread loaves and the whole thing dumped out and this guy stopped to help me pick them up. Also last year a tech from the dealership drove to my car on his lunch break to use the lug nut key on my flat tire so I could get it off and put on my donut so I didn't have to buy a new key set. That might take the cake. It was such a lifesaver and so kind of him.
14. Who knows more about you than anyone else?
My best friend. Without a doubt.
15. What is your current desktop background picture?
Honestly the one that came with the computer - I actually really like it and it matches my dark blackish computer with a red backlit keyboard. Exhibit A
16. Hotdogs or cheeseburgers?
BOTH. Probably hotdogs a little more though.
17. Have you ever thrown a party?
Birthday parties, a couple Halloween parties, a Star Wars marathon potluck party, and a tea party. No ragers though.
18. What’s the first thing you notice in the gender you are attracted to?
Hm. Probably their smile and overall body type. Not overly picky but crazy slouched was actually a turn off in someone (also he had never ever been camping, so it was becoming clear we didn't have much in common).
19. What’s the longest you’ve ever spent in the wilderness?
Several days; I've been truck camping with my brother several times. Last year we drove from central Texas to Colorado and Utah, so that included nights spent in random places on BLM land, like this one night in a national forest all by ourselves up a random dirt road, or there was a night in Utah overlooking some canyonlands that was pretty amazing.
20. What quote best defines your life?
May I deal with honor, may I act with courage, may I achieve humility.
I'm not perfect, but I do strive to be good - a good role model, a good friend, a good coworker, etc.
ATTENTION:

Please go take the survey about the Afflatus so that we can better design it for 2019 - even if you don't typically read it! Tell us what would get you to start.

Also make sure you are ALWAYS up to date on announcements!
Jazzyleia
Silver Belt
House: Vipera

Afflatus Activity - About Me

Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:36 pm

Didn't major. I went to college to be a Physical Therapist Assistant.

Personally an early bird. I find it easy to wake up and then just stay up rather than staying up all night. Probably because my job I work at 6am so it has become normal for me.

Fiction. I don't care for writing about events that really happened. Even if it was based around a movie or tv show, I always have to change it up.

The Scotch King by Penelope Sky

Probably freshman year of high school, maybe 8th grade a little bit before then as well.

Ooh good, yes a fantastic question. Personally I'm not Team Jacob. XD

Okay so right away I'm going to state that I enjoy the books Fifty Shades of Grey. Especially because I don't know, it makes me really happy when I read how everything progressed. So if there was a Christian Grey running around, I'd be interested *wink wink*. Otherwise I'm a die hard romantic so anyone of the guys in any of the books that eventually turn into romances please give me.

Probably any time I can write over 1000 words in one post XD

Personally? I always hate when people ask me if I'm going to quit my job and find one in my field. It's not like I can make people open up spots and right now I enjoy my job.

I'd be the ringmaster cause I have zero skills other than dancing. Plus I feel I'm good at being a leader.

Yes.

Finding a guy and settling down.

Paid for my food in the drive-through.

My mother. I mean she should. XD But in terms of someone here on AS, then that would certainly be Deery.

Uh...closes window to see winter mountains.

Cheeseburgers

Eh, a sleepover birthday party technically. That's about it.

Sense of humor.

A week when I was in Girl Scouts.

"There must be a beginning of any great matter, but the continuing unto the end until it be thoroughly finished yields true glory." - Sir Francis Drake (Uncharted) I think that this just says that you can always start new great things, but you have to see it through to the end in order to obtain the true glory of finishing it. Getting to where you want to go doesn't just come to you. You have to work for it and see it through to the end.
xxxx
Imagex News: Deer is still amazing!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx Roleplays:
Fandom [][∞] Deer [X][∞]
Momo [X] Phoenix [X]
Snow [X] Gamora []
Avenoir [X] Mobius []
Golden []
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
♚ Ren
Yellow Belt
House: Amaranthine

Character #1

Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:52 pm

1. Is your character a night owl or day walker? A bit of a both.
2. Does your character like to daydream? Nah. He's the kind of guy who focuses more on the present rather than fantasies, and what it will take to make his dreams come reality.
3. Would you say your character is a team player? Definitely a team player. He used to be a rugby player and he enjoys working with others for a common goal.
4. Could your character imagine a life settled down right now or are there things they wish to do first? They'd want to run a tavern in Ireland, on the shore and maybe start a family.
5. What is your character’s favorite season and why? Autumn. He's in love with the fall colours and cool breezes, and wearing big coats and boots.
6. What does the word ‘strength’ mean to your character? Strength is having the endurance to get through anything without having to drag your family and friends down with you.
7. Does your character prefer team sports or to play alone? A team player. He's very good at going lone wolf but if he had a preference, he'd rather do it with others.
8. If your character could, where in the past would they visit? Back in time a few years to save his brother.
9. How does your character display anger? He shouts. Punches walls. Gets drunk to try and excuse his violent and destructive behavior with alcohol.
10. If your character were enjoying a cheat day, what would they be enjoying? If this is in terms of diet, he'd be binging on tacos, enchiladas, beer and steak.
11. If your character were to visit anywhere in the world, where would they go and why? There isn't anywhere he wants to go. He has too much to focus on in the present. But if he had a choice, he'd probably want to just go somewhere far away where there's no people. An island in the middle of nowhere.
12. If your character had control of an element, which would it be and why? Fire. In terms of both his hair and personality.
13. Does your character have a hobby they enjoy? He spends most of his time training, but when not in the ring, he likes to play video games, travel, flirt at the bar and play the sax.
14. Does your character know any languages, or would they like to learn some? Which ones? He tried to learn Japanese once. It didn't work out. He used to know Russian until it faded away with non-use.
15. What are your character’s thoughts about their friends? They're family.
♚ Ren
Yellow Belt
House: Amaranthine

Character #2

Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:58 pm

1. Is your character a night owl or day walker? A night owl. If the choice was his, he'd sleep all day and spend all night worrying.
2. Does your character like to daydream? He doesn't exactly daydream, but he has incredibly unrealistic dreams that tend to plague his mind when it should be filled with reason and reality.
3. Would you say your character is a team player? No. He has too much pride to work harmoniously with others. He prefers to do things alone.
4. Could your character imagine a life settled down right now or are there things they wish to do first? He could never imagine a life settled down. Too much war and too much that needs to be done.
5. What is your character’s favorite season and why? Summer. It's the best time that he can go down to the beach and enjoy the sand and the wind on his face. Anything else is too cold, rainy or inconvenient.
6. What does the word ‘strength’ mean to your character? Strength to him is having the courage to indulge in your humanity without letting yourself sink into it. To feel grief without breaking in half. To feel anger without harming another.
7. Does your character prefer team sports or to play alone? He's a lone wolf. He likes to be the best at everything, so when he works with others he gets so competitive that he ends up disliking his team mates, which is why he's more into solo sports like archery, kayaking and fencing.
8. If your character could, where in the past would they visit? He wouldn't, he focuses more on fixing and securing his future.
9. How does your character display anger? He tends to get physical with others. Grabbing your arm or your collar, or if you really piss him off, punching you in the face.
10. If your character were enjoying a cheat day, what would they be enjoying? Cheat days don't exist with him. He shreds off whatever pounds he might gain in the gym.
11. If your character were to visit anywhere in the world, where would they go and why? He'd go to the beach he grew up on.
12. If your character had control of an element, which would it be and why? Water. It's healing and at the same time destructive, which defines his dual personalities of being both nurturing and dangerous.
13. Does your character have a hobby they enjoy? He's a massive nerd who likes to participate in nerd type activities. He enjoys kayaking and pursuing his archaeology.
14. Does your character know any languages, or would they like to learn some? Which ones? Just english. He's a mono-lingual pleb.
15. What are your character’s thoughts about their friends? They're his everything. Some like brothers.
Jazzyleia
Silver Belt

Character Interview 1 - Jason Herron

Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:30 pm

FC: Cody Saintgnue

1. Is your character a night owl or day walker?
"Both. Can I be both? Depends what I need to do you know? Like if there is a job that requires me being up at night, then I don't have a problem. But I'm also good at being an early bird too. I don't know. I mean we are normally up during the day so that's that I guess."

2. Does your character like to daydream?
"I mean sure. I daydream about probably stupid things when I'm not busy. Mostly I try to think of little date ideas for myself and my husband Darren."

3. Would you say your character is a team player?
"Yep. Very much so. Been on teams my whole life and so long as I can trust you, then we can play fair."

4. Could your character imagine a life settled down right now or are there things they wish to do first?
"I am settled down with Darren. We are very happy together. I guess if we wanted to adopt a kid one of these days, I won't be opposed. Not something we've ever really talked about before."

5. What is your character’s favorite season and why?
"Spring because that's when basketball is high and I enjoy playing with Darren outside."

6. What does the word ‘strength’ mean to your character?
"Admitting when you have a fault. Like you don't have to be physically strong to be considered strong. Being a guy that is honest takes guts. You are also strong when you rely on those around you for help rather than being a lone wolf."

7. Does your character prefer team sports or to play alone?
"Team sports. I played basketball all through high school on the team with Darren."

8. If your character could, where in the past would they visit?
"I don't know if there is anywhere specific that I'd like to visit in the past. I've never been a history person, didn't care for anything in the past. Maybe if I could go back and see my father, perhaps I'd be able to convince him and mom to have another kid so I wasn't an only sibling."

9. How does your character display anger?
"For the most part, I bottle it up. It isn't good, but I would rather not show it around everyone else. Even Darren. I'll push people away for probably a day or something. I just normally need to clear my head."

10. If your character were enjoying a cheat day, what would they be enjoying?
"Lying in bed all day with Darren, doing absolutely nothing that will be said outside of the bedroom."

11. If your character were to visit anywhere in the world, where would they go and why?
"I've always wanted to visit Egypt. I don't know, something about the pyramids really did fascinate me in school."

12. If your character had control of an element, which would it be and why?
"Ooh fire would be fun."

13. Does your character have a hobby they enjoy?
"Basketball mostly. I enjoy taking guns apart and putting them back together as well."

14. Does your character know any languages, or would they like to learn some? Which ones?
"Other than English, no. I think it would be fun to learn something new though. Perhaps German or something really random so I can just tell people I know it."

15. What are your character’s thoughts about their friends?
"Friends for life. I'd take a bullet for any of them as I know they would do to me as well. Matt and I are pretty much brothers even though I just married his brother. But we've been together for awhile. Gavin is a fantastic friend as well. Xavier is amazing and supportive."
xxxx
Imagex News: Deer is still amazing!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx Roleplays:
Fandom [][∞] Deer [X][∞]
Momo [X] Phoenix [X]
Snow [X] Gamora []
Avenoir [X] Mobius []
Golden []
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
gold
Green Belt

AS Afflatus: Issue Seventeen - Activity

Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:37 pm

i'm planning on getting an english major and maybe a german one too

night owl all the way

fantasy, and i like sci-fi too but not as much

i think it was six of crows by leigh bardugo

at age eleven, but i've been into writing since i was seven

can i be team just-here-to-watch-the-bloodshed?

having gold or ra'nash would be nice, just so we could start shit and burn a city down

that forty-page novel i never got to finish; i loved the setting but everything else just... eh

''why are you sad''

honestly, i'd either do magic tricks or be the ringmaster bc i'm a theatric piece of shit

not particularly, it takes some time for me to get attached; once i'm attached tho? good luck getting rid of me

when i stop being miserable and i finally enjoy life atm i'm just looking forward to seeing my babe, the rest is less important

i've had these few girls come up to me and ask me if i wanted to hang out with them, since they noticed i was alone and looked sad; i still hang out with them too, we became friends

either my bestie or my dearest wife necro

the opening scene from transistor

cheeseburgers all the way

nah, never had the room for it

someone's face; their expression, their eyes, then their general vibe

two weeks; it was a camping trip in like, seventh grade, and tbh i'd do it again

here for a good time, not a long time
Gamora.
Black Belt

Character Interview #2

Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:53 pm

────── (THAN NOTHING AT ALL) ──────
              • 1. Is your character a night owl or day walker?
                "Night owl. I don't sleep much anyway."
                "Of a better world? Oh, you bet.
                She enjoys working with others and does so well. Aubrey is good at watching out for others from a distance in battle or just being there for her teammates.
                4. Could your character imagine a life settled down right now or are there things they wish to do first?
                "Not in the middle of an apocalypse. It's not possible."
                "Fall. I love the crisp air, the leaves scattering the ground and crunch as you walk. It's just a great time to be outside."
                "Surviving."
                She doesn't really like sports, but she does like archery. So she would prefer alone sports.
                "Anytime before the infection spread."
                A few curses here and there, but for the most part, she usually bottles it up until she just completely breaks down.
                "There's no such thing as cheat days anymore, but I do love canned peaches."
                11. If your character were to visit anywhere in the world, where would they go and why?
                "Somewhere that is still alive and prosperous. I'm not even sure if that exists anymore, though."
                Probably wind.
                Aubrey doesn't have much time for hobbies anymore, but she does enjoy listening to music.
                14. Does your character know any languages, or would they like to learn some? Which ones?
                Only English and she has no desire to learn anything else.
                Aubrey loves relationships, whether it be family, friends, or more. She loved her friends growing up and hopes to befriend Ellie as well.
amnesia.
Black Belt

- character interview ❝ daisuke

Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:19 pm

• 1. Is your character a night owl or day walker?
              he's a bit of both, though if he had to choose he'd say he was more of a night owl, finding peace in the quietness
              definitely, he's always found it cathartic to let his mind wander, though he has the bad habit of doing it in the middle of working and sometimes in the middle of conversations
              yes, he's always preferred to be around people rather than working alone as he finds that it grounds him a little and helps him to stay focused on the task at hand
              he'd be more likely to take his partner's thoughts and feelings into consideration first, but if he found the right person then he'd be all too happy to settle down
              autumn, he loves seeing the myriad of colours in nature and has a penchant for wearing expensive scarves
              for him strength is determined by mental and emotional strength rather than simply physical- in that sense he doesn't view himself as very strong, but he does try to be for those that depend on him
              again, he prefers to work with other people rather than by himself. he's not much of a fan of sports itself, but he'll join in if it interests him enough
              he's already over a century old so he's seen quite enough as it is, but he's always had a fascination with the medieval time period. if a time he's already lived through then he'd enjoy living through the victorian era again, as that was a personal favourite of his
              depending on how angry he is and the situation it varies. if he's only a little bit angry then he'll either push it aside or retaliate with passive aggression, but if he's genuinely angry then he won't hold back with his words. he's not one for physical fighting or
              probably sitting on the couch with his cat eating chocolate, pampering himself and watching old sitcoms and romance movies
              probably egypt, he finds the pyramids and the cultural history of the country to be fascinating, and on top of that he'd love to get a tan while he's there, but alas regardless of how long he spends in the sun his skin doesn't seem to want to
              definitely earth, some of his fondest memories of being a child are exploring forests and travelling
              it's a bit of a guilty pleasure of his but he does enjoy knitting
              currently he's fluent in english, spanish, japanese and a little bit of russian, but he'd love to become more knowledgeable in russian and expand himself by learning german
              he loves each and every single one of his friends, there are a few that he's closer to than others.
ichor.
Archivist
House: Halcyon Keeper

Re: AS Afflatus: Issue Seventeen

Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:20 pm

I am an English literature major on a pre-med track. So, kind of doing a little bit of everything but the ultimate goal is medical school!
I am a night owl. I can no longer sleep earlier than 2 am.
Honestly I'm not fussy. If there's romance and it's not too complicated of a plot to follow, I'm down. I am a sucker for fantasy things though. And historical. Mix them and I am sold 100%.
Umm...currently reading The Girl in the Tangerine Scarf for American literature. I read a bunch of short stories from American Salvage for the same class previously and also read Dracula for another class. I am in the process of reading Pride and Prejudice for British literature and about to start another short story collection for American literature from Brief Interviews with Hideous Men.
I think I was in 5th grade. I took interest in writing in 4th grade but I don't think I got into it until 5th grade.
I don't even know anymore
Ummm...I just watched the movie, The Kissing Booth, and I'd love to have a friend like Lee Flynn? Specifically because of how supportive he was for his best friend's first date and how he was standing up for her when she got stood up?? I need friends like that in real life xD
Oooh I have a few favorites.
Thank You
, Always, Gravity (definitely my favorite), Avengement, Dungeon, Outcast. I just realized that pretty much all of these involve my character Chelsea...whoops.
Usually questions regarding a test grade from family members when I didn't do too well.
I would die from nerves/anxiety before I could even perform
Yep.
Becoming a doctor and getting settled in life. I can't wait until I'm doing what I'm working towards.
Hmmm I can't think of anything right now. Oh. I guess this counts. When I was a baby, my parents were going to go out shopping. This old lady that lived in the apartment across from her took an immediate liking to me, told them that they didn't need to take me out in such heat, and offered to look after me. Since then, she was a MAJOR part of my life until she passed. I was definitely super attached to her and I was devastated when she passed. I still cry sometimes, but I used to cry a lot more for a few years whenever I thought about her.
Probably Lauren/Snow to be honest. And Mags. I tell those two nearly everything.
It's this pretty thing that I don't know how to explain. The login desktop is a space background and the desktop background is like...man idk how to explain it. I FOUND THE IMAGE
Hotdogs. No buns.
Um do my parents' parties from when I was younger count? We threw some bomb parties. We had the fog machine and lights and all that shit.
Jawline. Eyes. Smile. Height. Arms. Mostly the jawline though.
0 minutes
need to think on this
sylver
Orange Belt

character interview / abital

Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:31 pm

• 1. Is your character a night owl or day walker? A little bit of both. She's usually up late to keep an eye on Khayrat, but she also requires much less sleep than the average person. Most of the time she'll make sure her friend gets into bed, then she sleeps for about three to four hours, and then she's up again.

2. Does your character like to daydream? To a certain extend, yes. She'll often daydream while Khayrat is asleep, but she doesn't allow it to get out of hand. Most of the time, anyway.

3. Would you say your character is a team player? Not really, no. Abital is more of a lone wolf and doesn't enjoy working with others. Too many cooks spoil the broth, you know?

4. Could your character imagine a life settled down right now or are there things they wish to do first? If it's with the right person such as Khayrat, she probably wouldn't mind too much. Although settling down isn't her number one goal on the list of things she wants to do in the next few decades.

5. What is your character’s favorite season and why? Late autumn, when everything is either dead or dormant and winter is near. She enjoys the rapidly changing weather and the overall gloomy atmosphere. The seasonal autumn dishes that a lot of races come up with are also some of her favourites.

6. What does the word ‘strength’ mean to your character? Being powerful - not necessarily in a physical way. Establishing yourself as strong among others, and being respected for it. Never stopping in your endeavors to grow stronger. Using the power that your strength gave you to stay on top, and to protect whatever - whoever - matters to you. Crushing those who dare question your power, or threaten the things/people dear to your heart.

7. Does your character prefer team sports or to play alone? Playing alone, although she wouldn't mind sports that require a small team of two to three people.

8. If your character could, where in the past would they visit? Possibly the creation of the world. How everything came to be and what it was like back then has always fascinated her greatly. Although the great war that some of her ancestors fought in would also interest her.

9. How does your character display anger? Her anger is silent, yet very unsettling. She'll usually just be even more quiet than usual and show you the cold shoulder for a while, but you will still get that unnerving feeling that there's a lot of dangerous, lethal rage bubbling just beneath her calm, cold demeanor. If she's very, very angry - especially if that anger is directed at someone who hurt Khayrat - she can get... very violent and sadistic.

10. If your character were enjoying a cheat day, what would they be enjoying? Caramel apples, saltwater taffy and spiced hot apple cider.

11. If your character were to visit anywhere in the world, where would they go and why? Wherever Khayrat decides to go, to be completely honest. At this point in her life, she's her main priority. Although she is fond of any and all places that still have a strong connection to the past - ancient ruins, abandoned towns, spots in nature that haven't been touched in decades, that kind of stuff.

12. If your character had control of an element, which would it be and why? If we're going with the basic four, probably water. Just because water is associated with being deep, dark and mysterious and, while it gives life to the world, it could also end it. If we add other elements, darkness. Think why is obvious.

13. Does your character have a hobby they enjoy? Experimenting on people & resurrecting the death. Abital really enjoys making clothes - both Khayrat's and her clothes were made by her. She also enjoys reading, specifically about history/ancient culture. She is actually also interested in make-up, although she rarely dabbles in it.

14. Does your character know any languages, or would they like to learn some? Which ones? Similar to Khayrat, Abital knows the common language of their universe, as well as the demonic language of her race. Unlike her friend, however, she speaks elvish fluently, including the common dialects, and bits and pieces of ancient elvish.

15. What are your character’s thoughts about their friends? Abital doesn't have many friends and she usually doesn't allow herself to get too attached to anyone. For those she is attached to, however, she would die for... or eradicate the entire world for them, if they so desired.