AS Afflatus: Issue Twenty

Where you can find all published issues of the Advanced Scribes Afflatus, our very own newsletter!

Moderator: Admin Aide

ichor.
Archivist
House: Halcyon Keeper

AS Afflatus: Issue Twenty

Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:11 am

Image x
If you are a new reader of the Afflatus, welcome! This magazine is meant to be interactive with our members, meaning submissions, suggestions, and nominations are encouraged! For each contribution to the Afflatus, points will be awarded to the house! Through this magazine, we aim to provide tips and inspiration as well as updates regarding the site. To make a submission, you can do so by using this form or even posting directly to the thread.

Afflatus Contents: Title Post, Updates, Dear Stag, Writing & Life Tips, Character Interview & Prompt, Member Corner, Featured Writing, Adventure Story, Activity Center and Anonymous Compliments and Critique.

Current Staff/Team Members: Rakuen, Thunderofthedrum, Commander Shepard, Snow, Lost, Ichor., Kami, Blue, NeverNever, Cerise, Darkness, Chemically Poisoned. Here is our team page.
ichor.
Archivist

AS Afflatus - Issue 20 - Updates

Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:12 am

Image x
Looking Forward: As all of us scribes start to settle into the new year, the team is picking back up some discussions to continue with recent changes and hopefully implement more. One of our big goals is improved communication and clarity with the Announcements/Rules, including better organization and fewer Global Announcements to scroll past all of the time.

1x1 Competition: The 1x1 Competition has now begun! During this month, staff will be making a note of the participants and their threads and at the end of March we will conclude the event and tally points. If you haven’t checked it out, please do! It is located in the Events area, right here!

Social Media Challenges: If you haven’t already, check out our Tumblr and Twitter! The global mods and attendants have put together some fun through our social media accounts and would love for people to participate! We’ve enjoyed the entries so far and hope to see it continue and grow!

Issue 19 Totals: As requested, the house totals for each issue will now be shared every time! For issue 19 the totals were:
x Halcyon - 245
Vipera - 210
Sagacitas - 125
Amaranthine - 20
ichor.
Archivist

AS Afflatus - Issue 20 - Dear Stag

Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:13 am

Image x
Dear Stag,
I have lately been feeling like the 'third wheel' to two friends. I have been feeling unhappy about this. What should I do? Should I break off this friendship?
- Anonymous Wyvern
  • The term 'third wheel' sounds very like an umbrella term. Are your friends involved romantically and you feel out of place? Or are they simply more in sync with each other than they are with you? The main problem when it comes to our feelings is that we often decide to take action without consulting those involved. While getting rid of toxic relationships is good for both our bodies and minds, the main question arises: have you talked with said friends about this issue? If you haven't, there's a high chance they don't even notice that they pay less attention to you than to each other and it's not an uncommon thing to happen. Try and sit down and talk with your friends and be sure to politely voice your concerns to them - approach the issue in a civil manner and have a heartfelt conversation with those close to you. Tell them that you're unhappy about how things have been and you'd like for it to change. I have a feeling they would be understanding and agree that they've been acting unfairly. And, well, if they refuse to address the issue, could you say they were your friends, to begin with? All relationships go both ways and friendship isn't an exception to this rule.
ichor.
Archivist

AS Afflatus - Issue 20 - Member Interview

Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:14 am

Image x

1. What is your favorite dessert?
2. What is your favorite color?
3. What is your favorite book?
4. What is your favorite place to be alone?
5. What is your favorite fictional character?
6. What is your favorite fast food place?
7. What is your favorite movie series/universe?
8. What is your favorite class?
9. What is your favorite game?
10. What is your favorite song?
11. What is your favorite genre to roleplay?
12. What is your favorite social media platform?
13. What is your favorite style of art?
14. What is your favorite time period in history?
15. What is your favorite beverage?
ichor.
Archivist

AS Afflatus - Issue 20 - Character Interview & Prompt

Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:15 am

Image x

This month is OTP quizzes! Like character interviews, you can do 2 different otps.
1. Who would hog the blankets at night?
2. Who tends to fuss over the other the most?
3. Who does the cooking?
4. Who would finish the other’s pizza crusts?
5. Who would take care of spiders and such for the other?
6. Who is most likely to make up/forgive first?
7. Who is the pet more attached to? (or hypothetical pet)
8. Who keeps their space cleaner?
9. Who cries at the end of romantic movies?
10. Who takes longer to get ready for date night?
11. Who tends to be more inappropriate?
12. Who is the silly one?
13. Who apologizes first?
14. Who is more likely to bring home a stray animal?
15. Who stays up later?

x Prompt x
Pick one (1) of the two prompts.

“I’ve never felt more alive.”

or

The sun did not rise this morning.
ichor.
Archivist

AS Afflatus - Issue 20 - Member Corner

Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:17 am

Image x
Anonymous Unicorn wrote:
I'm so glad there are Member Questionnaires and OTP quizzes being implemented! Though I do suggest perhaps still doing Character Interviews every month & adding OTP quizzes every second month? Or doing both every month? I know some people like the consistent Character Interviews to bring up their Characters.
  • Thank you for the suggestion! We always want to know what people enjoy seeing. Since we are now including new content, we are working to find the right balance and will definitely take your input into account. Great to hear the Character Interviews are still used and beneficial for members!
Anonymous Wyvern wrote:
Can we do one about hobbies?
  • Thanks for suggesting a theme for the member interviews! We'll definitely look into it! If you have any questions you'd like to submit regarding this theme, feel free to do so!
Anonymous Wyvern wrote:
Can we do cute otp questions for feb edition? ex.) who would hog the blankets at night? and who would eat the crusts from the other's pizza? c:
  • Way ahead of you! For the time being, we'll be doing OTP quizzes in place of character interviews every other month to change things up a little bit!
Anonymous Wyvern wrote:
a questionnaire about "my favorite things" such as color, food, etc?
  • Love it! And since ‘favorites’ has to do with things you love, we thought February would be a perfect time for that. Thanks for the idea!
Anonymous Wyvern wrote:
how do we submit art pieces and photography for the Afflatus?
  • When you submit art pieces and photography for the featured section, just include a link to the art or photograph! You can post them here on AS, in the Art Corner or if it's offsite, you can link us to there as well! Please make sure you include the title of the work, if any, and also a link to the member's profile who the work belongs to!
Anonymous Unicorn wrote:
Maybe it would be fun to have a fill-in-the-blank activity once in the afflatus c: Maybe for the activity center
  • That's a great idea! Thank you for suggesting it! We'll definitely look into this and hope we can have an activity like this in one of our issues!
Do you have ideas as to what you would like to see here? Don't be afraid to share through our google form!
ichor.
Archivist

AS Afflatus - Issue 20 - Featured Works

Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:22 am

Image x
Good mornin', darlin'. by celestialcuttlefish
Hidden text.
Pale rays of early morning sunlight warmed Colette's skin, faint but cheerful birdsong filled her ears, and a feeling of sleepy contentment settled in her chest as she rolled onto her side, stretching her arm out in search of her husband. Her fingers met only the soft, cold fabric of empty sheets and the feeling in her chest fell sharply to pool in the pit of her stomach. She closed her eyes tight and desperately willed the brazen morning light to disappear behind the clouds, wished the jeering birds would all fly off, begged the world to stop ridiculing her with its vibrancy.
text It felt like ages before she could muster the will to slip out of bed, to slide on the elegant sheer dressing gown her absent husband had gifted her a month before and face the idyllic morning outside her blinds. She took extra care in fixing the covers her husband had not slept in, in fluffing the pillows he rarely used, in replacing the uncomfortable but lovely accent pillows she always took off the bed in the hopes that he'd sleep in his rightful place.
text She found his note in it's usual place, under a gift wrapped box on the center of her vanity. On heavy paper, the stationary of the advertising Blyths' business, was Charles' familiar chicken scratch.
text "got called in early, sorry for being so busy"
text She barely glanced at the words before she slipped the note into the center drawer of her vanity, alongside something like thirty of the same, and turned her attention to the black velvet jewelry box the note had been tucked under. That day it was an opera length string of pearls, flawless and white and longer than her arm when she stretched it out completely. The week before he'd given her a designer handbag. A week before that, a diamond bracelet. Every gift came with a written apology that was never spoken. Every gift came after an argument left unfinished.
text She lifted her left hand and gazed silently at her wedding band, at the large diamond in her engagement ring. That had been the first gift, after their first fight. When she'd discovered she was pregnant she'd told him first. She'd hoped he'd be supportive. Instead he'd been angry, so angry. He didn't talk to her for a week, that was when he'd proposed. It had been the first expensive gift of many, the first peace glittering peace offering of dozens.
text Colette carefully arranged the necklace back in its box and set it with the rest of her rarely used evening jewelry and readied herself for another day alone in her empty home. Without even the promise of her son coming home to amuse her, it was bound to be another empty day. More busy work to do, more meals to cook and eat alone, more hours logged staring at walls waiting for her husband to come home so she could greet him and ask him about his day and willfully ignore the smell of perfume on his clothes, the long dark hairs clinging to his jacket.
ichor.
Archivist

AS Afflatus - Issue 20 - Activity Center

Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:23 am

Image x
To keep things light this month as you guys begin the first big competition of the year, February’s activity will be one you have seen before - asking questions about the staff! As before, each member can ask up to 4 questions of the staff, with each question worth 5 points for a grand total of 20 points. These can be deep and philosophical, or lighthearted and silly! You can ask things about us personally, about our writing, about our futures… as long as the questions are not overly personal or inappropriate, you have complete freedom! Please send the questions to ichor and make sure you include Afflatus Feb Activity in the PM title!

x Have suggestions for future activities? Don't be afraid to share through the google form!
ichor.
Archivist

AS Afflatus - Issue 20 - Anonymous Compliments

Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:24 am

Image x
Anonymous Wyvern wrote:This is for .Paralian. . My god you are seriously one of the most patient and reasonable people I have had the joys of meeting. I just want to thank you for putting up with me and my crazy ideas. You're one hell of a roleplay partner and an even better friend. Thank you for being you. <3
Anonymous Wyvern wrote:angelofwarfare: I miss you a lot. I know we don't talk much anymore, but I just wanted you to know that I still think of you often. Thank you for everything, especially for putting up with me.
Anonymous Unicorn wrote:Kami! I am so proud of how you are currently rocking everything! You deserve all the success which is coming your way after you worked so hard for it. I am really proud of you, my potato <3 I have always known you can do it! Keep up the good work <3 Your vegetable loves you really much!
ichor.
Archivist

AS Afflatus - Issue 20 - Reminders & Point System

Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:25 am

Image x
Just a couple of reminders for the Afflatus! x
1. Any entry submitted through the Google form is worth 5 points. Things that will be submitted through the Google form are:

xxxxxxxa. Dear Stag submissions
xxxxxxxb. Prompt Suggestions
xxxxxxxc. Featured Works Nominations
xxxxxxxd. Anonymous Compliments
xxxxxxxe. Member Corner Submissions
xxxxxxxf. Question Submissions
xxxxxxxg. Suggestions/Questions for the Afflatus or site

2. Dear Stag can feature anything you want to ask. This can be writing tips, life tips, advice, and so forth. Keep in mind that the Afflatus is posted once a month, so things that need to be answered urgently are not best to submit. Additionally, we are not professionals, so heavy matters should be discussed with a trusted adult. We will do our best to answer each submission every issue, but may have to save other matters for later issues.

3. Dear Stag submissions should be submitted by the end of the second week of the month, so that there is enough time to provide an adequate response to the submission.

4. The Featured Works segment can feature anything from the site. Roleplays, characters, art, personal writing. When submitting a featured work, please include the member's url, the url to the post and post title, and state what it is that is being featured. I will notify users that their work has been featured.

5. When submitting an anonymous compliment, please include username and link to their profile. I notify these users after each issue is posted so that they know they've received a compliment and it makes it easy to track them down in case usernames are changed!

6. When posting submissions to the thread, please make sure the name of the submission is in the title. So, if it's a character interview, please mention that in the title. If it is an activity, please put that in the title. However, it is not a big deal if it is forgotten, though it can clear up any potential confusion.

7. Please post each submission to the thread in separate posts. This makes tallying points much easier.

8. Remember, you can post up to two (2) character interviews/otp quizzes per issue and only one prompt per issue.

9. You are welcome to submit anything to the Member Corner, within reason. Book reviews, recipes, and anything else you can think of. Not everything will be able to used, but will certainly still count for points and saved for future use! The Member Corner will also be used to address any feedback received through the Google form.

10. At the end of the month I will post the following on the thread: "Any posts made after this will not count towards points." I will be trying to stay consistent with this and plan on doing this on the last day of every month by 11:30 PM CST time. Please note that if this doesn't happen for a day (or more) then you can assume it's fair game to submit more things to the thread, since it is likely taking some time to get the next issue out. The Google form, however, will be closed the night before the next issue.
x Points System x Through Google Form

Dear Stag Submission ……………………....................................... 5 points
Featured Works Nomination ………………................................... 5 points
Future Prompt Suggestion ………………...................................... 5 points
Compliment Submission ………………......................................... 5 points
Member Corner Submission ………………................................... 5 points
Character Interview Question Submission (min 5) ……........... 5 points
Member Interview Question Submission (min 5) ……............. 5 points
Feedback Submission ……………….............................................. 5 points

Through Thread

Character Interview/OTP Quiz Submission ………… 10 points
Member Interview Submission ………...................… 10 points

Prompt Submission
0-500 words ………………………. 10 points
500-1000 words ………………….. 20 points
1000-2000+ words ……………….. 30 points

Activity Participation - will vary depending on level of difficulty