AS Afflatus: Issue Twenty-One

Where you can find all published issues of the Advanced Scribes Afflatus, our very own newsletter!

Moderator: Admin Aide

ichor.
Admin Aide
House: Halcyon Keeper

AS Afflatus: Issue Twenty-One

Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:00 pm

Image x
If you are a new reader of the Afflatus, welcome! This magazine is meant to be interactive with our members, meaning submissions, suggestions, and nominations are encouraged! For each contribution to the Afflatus, points will be awarded to the house! Through this magazine, we aim to provide tips and inspiration as well as updates regarding the site. To make a submission, you can do so by using this form or even posting directly to the thread.

Submissions that are meant to be shown for the next issues are: Dear Stag, Featured Writing, & Anonymous Compliments/Critique.

Afflatus Contents: Title Post, Updates, Dear Stag, Member Interview, Character/OTP Interview & Prompt, Member Corner, Featured Works, Activity Center, Anonymous Compliments.

Current Staff/Team Members: Thunderofthedrum, Commander Shepard, Snow, Lost, Ichor., Kami, Blue, NeverNever, Cerise, Darkness, Chemically Poisoned. . Here is our team page.
ichor.
Admin Aide

AS Afflatus - Issue 21 - Updates

Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:01 pm

Image x
Staff Changes: We have said goodbye to rakuen and wish her well! NeverNever is the new Amaranthine Keeper! That and more info can be found here.

Site Survey: If you haven’t yet, make sure you submit your feedback about AS in this survey, also found in the sidebar. This is a great opportunity to make your opinions known to us! We want to make the site better for you!

Social Media Event Survey: We know members want to share their opinions and suggestions about the Social Media event, so here is a survey you can check out, also found in the sidebar.

1x1 Competition Event: The 1x1 RP Event is half over! If you worry you missed out, never fear! You are absolutely still invited to jump in!

Issue 20 Totals:
x Halcyon - 250
Vipera - 185
Sagacitas - 185
Amaranthine - 120
ichor.
Admin Aide

AS Afflatus - Issue 21 - Dear Stag

Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:01 pm

Image x
it's march and you know what that means for us college students in the u.s.a. spring break! what are some fun activities, short excursions, or even affordable trips to destress from exams and classes?
- Anonymous Wyvern
  • Travel is so important to broaden your horizons, explore, and experience new things! Plus it provides valuable time to be away from your regular responsibilities and to relax. For fun activities, it could be a great opportunity to try something new, such as a trail ride through a reputable stable, archery, renting a canoe, studios where you can paint and take home a piece of pottery, or have fun with guided painting, or even axe throwing! Day trips may depend on where you live and what the weather is like, but hiking, picnics, museums, and other sights may be closer than you realize. To pick a random city, I searched the internet for ‘Cedar Rapids day trips’ and the first result suggested a nearby historic town, a state park, caves, a brewery (for those of you old enough), and a national historic landmark with shops and exhibits.

In addition to searching the whole internet, websites like TripAdvisor can be incredibly helpful! And if you can’t afford a hotel (for many, college is when you learn how to be BROKE), camping may be a great option, even if you aren’t keen on trying more than one night. Often times you can borrow some gear from family or friends, and in many areas of the US (and even world) March is a great time to camp as the summer heat hasn’t yet arrived! For new campers, the basic gear typically includes a tent, sleeping bag or blankets, pillow, some sort of padding (whether a foam bed roll, sleeping pad, or air mattress), flashlights/lanterns/headlamps for after the sun goes down, a knife, and a toothbrush. Beyond that, if you can and are allowed you could build a fire, or use a little camp stove to heat up some simple foods (simply packing sandwich supplies in a cooler is also a great option).
hey stag! what are some fun yet budget friendly hobbies that I can get into?
- Anonymous Wyvern
  • Since, everyone’s budget is different, hopefully this will include a suitable variety. For the arts and crafts inclined, there are many videos online that can aid in drawing, painting, sewing, crocheting, knitting, sculpting, and more. With activities like these, it’s entirely possible to start off with cheaper, beginner-friendly materials to practice with before you decide if you want to invest a little more money (or ask for supplies as a gift for a special occasion).

If you are interested in taking advantage of the outdoors, hiking is usually free and while depending on the terrain and length of the hikes you may eventually want proper boots, a lot of hiking can be done in good athletic shoes, or some people even wear sturdy sandals such as Chacos (just be careful since they are open-toe). If you are the sort that needs an end goal, try geocaching! Similarly, camping is also very budget friendly in practice, though the gear can be expensive. For starting out, you might have a friend or family member with a tent you can borrow, everyone should own a flashlight or two, and anything else you may need for a single night in mild weather shouldn’t be hard to assemble. Always go with a buddy, do your research on supplies, info, and location, and make sure you tell someone where you’ll be in case you don’t have signal and something goes awry! If you’re willing to spend a little more money but still want it to be outdoorsy, some additional ideas include archery, kayaking, fishing, and learning to identify the flora and fauna of nature with a guidebook or app (and there are recordings you can get for learning bird calls).

If you prefer to be indoors, you might try to expand your skills with cooking or baking, trying out recipes, reading tips, and watching videos online. There’s also origami! Something that might initially sound intimidating (but is actually a GREAT career skill) is coding. Another idea is you find an inexpensive used instrument to buy and learn to play it. Other indoor/outdoor pursuits include photography, dance, yoga, and bodyweight exercises. It might take some digging and patience, but genealogy is also an interesting topic to delve into, or if it’s other cultures you are interested in, perhaps you want to learn a language with a free app, such as Duolingo.

If you are interested in giving back (and adding to your resume), volunteering and mentoring are great ideas! And lastly, since we already know you like to write, you could try to expand that! Dabble in some poetry, or finish some of those stories you started!
sometimes, I struggle with memorization when it comes to tests and exams. got any tips? x.x
- Anonymous Wyvern
  • From Thunder: R E P E T I T I O N! One thing that often helped me was to sit down with my notes that I scribbled in class and rewrite them neatly on new paper. From there, I would make a set of flashcards of key terms, concepts, vocab, formulas, etc. Sometimes I would also rewrite my notes a third time. Another GREAT way to test your understanding is to explain/teach the information to someone else - that will quickly identify how well you know it and where the gaps in your memory might be!

From Kami: I never agreed with learning by heart. Okay, perhaps it will help with a test or exam that is on the next day, but it’ll disappear from your memory soon after. And that’s not why we’re learning, is it? You might not remember everything, but if you understand the basic concept of an issue, you can definitely get out of many situations without memorising anything. My kind of learning usually involves a friend or two - we meet up after reading the material once or twice and then we chat about things that we can’t understand all that well. By explaining what you know to others, you strengthen your own knowledge and I personally find it easier to understand things when someone else explains it to me.

Most of the time, whenever I came to a test and there was a question from a topic that I hadn’t learned all that well; if a friend had explained it to me before, I found that I usually answered it much better than in situations where I had only tried to memorise it. Learning it by heart won’t help you, trust me.
what are some good drugstore foundations and concealers to cover up any acne?
- Anonymous Halcyon
  • One possible product is the CoverGirl truBlend Fixstick Blendable Concealer that one staff member uses for this purpose - essentially an oil pastel on your face. There are other similar products out there if you go peruse through the makeup aisle when you have a bit of spare time one day. Matching to your skin tone can be intimidating but is ultimately trial and error. And, when it doubt, you could go to a makeup store and ask for some advice! The employees are typically very happy to help and should be familiar with a variety, making them a good resource in this situation. Another person might be a makeup artist if you know one or want to set up an appointment. Lastly, if speaking to people isn’t something you are comfortable with, there are many blogs and youtube channels that feature makeup products with reviews and tips to help you achieve the outcome you seek.
I want to ask out this guy but I don't know how to because of the stigma of it being the guy that has to ask out the girl. How do I do this?
- Anonymous Phoenix
  • Firstly, don't be afraid. Men are even more scared when it comes to asking girls out, so seeing someone take initiative is going to make him feel better that he doesn't have to do it again. Just be yourself and don't be pushy about it if you get rejected. There's nothing worse than people not being able to take "no" for an answer and that could ruin your future chances to getting together with the same guy. Be nonchalant about it but also show that you're genuine about liking him; be yourself. There's no need to pretend that you're someone you're not, even if you try to play your cards in order to look more like the girls this guy might like, etc., because that might not work out. There's no real good way to ask a guy out, but do try to get him alone so there's no one secretly there to make both of you uncomfortable. Good luck!
ichor.
Admin Aide

AS Afflatus - Issue 21 - Member Interview

Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:02 pm

Image x

1. What is your Myers–Briggs personality type? Do you feel it does you justice?
2. Is there a song that you can relate to as the years pass? Why so?
3. Do you have any odd quirks that are more funny than repulsive?
4. What is something that people always say to you but you don't believe?
5. Is there a particular setting/trope that you absolutely love writing?
6. If you were to be an animal which would it be?
7. If you could travel anywhere in the world where would you chose?
8. Do you take influence from the world around you?
9. What’s your proudest writing achievement?
10. Do you sometimes resurrect old characters?
11. When you were a child what did you want to be when you grew up?
12. What are some hobbies you enjoy doing?
13. What is one thing you recommend someone doing at least once in their life?
14. What is a piece of advice you would give to another from your own experience?
15. What is your family background?
ichor.
Admin Aide

AS Afflatus - Issue 21 - Character Interview & Prompt

Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:02 pm

Image x
1. What is the meaning of your character's name(s)? Do you think it fits them?
2. What is their philosophy of life? Was it influenced by their past?
3. What is your characters worst memory of their childhood? Why?
4. Is your character more of a submissive or dominant person in bed?
5. What is your character's trait that you personally relate to the most?
6. If your character had to sacrifice one friend, which friend would they sacrifice?
7. If your character had to protect one friend forever, which friend would they choose?
8. What do/did they want to be when grown up?
9. Is there anyone in your life that gave you the inspiration / foundation for the character?
10. What aspect of your character do you wish was true for yourself?
11. What is typically the last thing on your character’s mind as they fall asleep?
12. In what living situation / location would your character most like to live?
13. What form of note-taking does your character prefer, such as pen, pencil, typing?
14. What is one memory they never want to forget?
15. What is one memory they’d do anything to forget?

x Prompt x
Pick one (1) of the two prompts.

“I would rather ask for forgiveness than permission.”

or

Their love was forbidden. They lived side by side as victims of a cruel fate.
ichor.
Admin Aide

AS Afflatus - Issue 21 - Member Corner

Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:03 pm

Image x
Anonymous Halcyon wrote:For next 1x1 competition, can you please disallow people spinning up multiple roleplays? It feels unfair and is somewhat muse killing to me. After all, all new roleplays could be spun up in that forum now if people want. This doesn't really make it feel like a competition anymore to me.
Anonymous Wyvern wrote:Personally I think that this needs addressed because I don't think it is fair. I've seen a few players have more than one roleplay in the 1x1 competition, and personally it doesn't make it feel like a competition. It's just another subforum for 1x1s, but you are getting points. And for the same person to have two or more roleplays, that means they are earning more points for their house. This gives the others houses a disadvantage. Now it's not like you actually get anything if your house wins, but personally it just really sucks. Look you don't want people left out, I get that, but what's to say that my partner doesn't find another roleplay and just forgets about me? How is that fair to me or my house or my points? So you didn't put it in the rules because "well we figured people would just basically read between the lines and not do more than one" but because someone asked and you didn't tell them no, now other people are doing it. It's not fair. It's not right. Going forward you guys need to really think about this and honestly put your foot down.
  • Hey guys, we totally hear you and understand. This year has definitely been different regarding this event, and you are not the only members to have expressed displeasure and disappointment about it. I (Thunder) didn’t proofread the rules that had been written closely enough and failed to notice that it didn’t specify a limit. By the time a member pointed that issue out to me we had already begun and at least one member had already made a second thread. I know how frustrating it is when staff imposes a limit on something after people have already done the work of what was previously allowed, so at the time I decided to stick with what had been posted, which was no limit. We absolutely want to hear feedback! If everyone hates it, then that’s okay and will influence the rules for next year. The way I see it is that hey, we tried it a little differently this year and if it turns out it wasn’t good, then we definitely know that going forward (remember the chaos of the group rp event? That also had issues). Also, I noticed less than a handful of individuals have made a second thread and that NO ONE has more than two threads going, so I think any fears of uncontrolled thread-making are likely unfounded. We have already begun putting together a thread for the conclusion of the event at the end of March so that everyone has the chance to share their thoughts and what they would like to see in the future regarding this event including a poll on what the limit should be in the future, and I really look forward to it. Ultimately the events are for YOU, and I am happy that people are speaking up. We can’t fix a problem if we don’t know about it.
Anonymous Halcyon wrote:Could we have a 'would you rather' type of member interview?
  • We definitely can! I love this idea, so thank you for suggesting it! If you have ideas for some, don't forget you can submit 5 questions and earn 5 points!
Anonymous Halcyon wrote:Just want to bring it to your attention there were two questions on the OTP quiz that were pretty much repeats from the previous one. Just a heads up. :)
  • Thank you for noticing and catching that! That was definitely unintentional, but sometimes repeats will happen. I usually imagine that people may or may not use different characters each time, so it isn't too harmful if something is repeated.
Anonymous Amaranthine wrote:Some sites have a place where they show the latest tweets from their twitter feed. Maybe it would be nice to implement that in the sidebar?
  • We will definitely take a look into this! Thank you for the suggestion!
Staff: Admin Biographies
Thunder wrote:Hey everyone! So I’ve sometimes heard feedback that members feel they don’t know staff well, that staff seem intimidating, and that admins in particular are a bit unknown. So, whether you are new here or have been around a while, I’d like to introduce myself.

My name is Trace / Thunder and I’ve been a part of the AS team since February 2014. I have my bachelors in wildlife biology and am also a certified GIS tech (which is digital cartography and spatial analysis). Basically what I do at work is use mapping software to look at all the lines and shapes on a computer screen that represent my area and I edit in changes and occasionally get to do a project. I have a variety of animal-related work and life experience that includes food prep and feeding exotic wildlife on a private ranch, hand-raising expensive breeder stock deer fawns, hand-raising calves, and milking dairy goats daily out in west Texas, pet sitting horses, lizards, dogs, and cats, horseback riding, unofficially fostering, medicating, vetting, and rehoming kittens, dog walking, and various field work like water quality surveys, species diversity surveys, catching herps and small rodents, and probably more I haven’t listed. I’m SUPER BIG on education and conservation and hope to incorporate one or both of those in my career later on!!

As for interests, I LOVE to travel and see new places. Whether it’s by plane, car, train, or cruise I am up for it. In 2018 I went to France in May, Las Vegas in August, and Arkansas in November, as well as some little weekend trips to major Texas cities and some camping sprinkled in there! This year I’ve already been to New Mexico and tried skiing for the first time and hope to plan a trip to Colorado and/or a cruise for later this year, plus I’ve already been invited to several camping weekend trips.. Besides travel and camping, I enjoy light hiking, kayaking, and archery but I also like to be a hermit inside and sleep, watch Netflix, eat lots of sweets, and tidy/organize (the never ending quest to downsize my possessions is very real and definitely on the strugglebus). I also get excited by writing stuff in my fancypants planner, the changing seasons, getting to wear big knitted sweaters, stationary and stickers (and penpals!), and pretty much any time my rabbit does anything. Just her existing makes me happy. I’m an introverted overthinker who is pretty friendly and open.

Lastly, my rabbit; the furball I keep as my avatar with her judgy wudgy face. She is 10 years old and is pretty stinking awesome. I’m a little bit obsessed with her and I think she is THE BEST THING EVER. She usually has her judgy eyes, suspicious eyes, or her ‘love me’ face on. She’s cheeky, investigative, and is a huge mooch so watch out if you have any snacks! She loves to lounge around, hoover up any crumbs, watch me with annoyance when I eat my gummy vitamins without sharing, lick my ankles, my face, and my pillow, and generally rule over her domain (anything under 15").

Community, communication, and enthusiasm/participation are really important to me here on AS. If you feel there is something we could do better, I want to hear it. I know sometimes the staff can seem intimidating, but I promise you we are all friendly! I take everyone’s suggestions, concerns, and questions seriously and have an open door policy. In addition to writing announcements, I do a lot for the events, the afflatus, managing the staff, discussing coding/issues/updates, making sure the team has the resources they need to do a good job, tracking house points, and working to lead AS into the future.
Commander Shepard wrote:Hey guys! So, I've been tasked with writing a little bit about myself to help users better get to know me as part of staff, and hopefully as a friend. I've always heard that users are afraid that us staff members will bite, but I'm here to show you that we're just like you! Well, some of us. I'm a little crazy, but at least I'm honest.

My screen name is Commander Shepard, but I often go by Shepard, or just Shep for short. Some people like to draw it out as 'Sheeeeeeeeeeep', but hey, everyone has a preference. My real name, outside of Advanced Scribes, is Katie. Actually it's longer, but I'm not about to give you the horribly long spelling of my first name.

I've been on the Advanced Scribes team since February 2017. When I first started out, I was a Global Moderator. I ran around with a giant hammer and squished all those nasty spam bots as quickly as I could. I also handled a lot of the reports that came in and was sure to pass them off to the appropriate levels of staff to ensure issues were handled as quickly and efficiently as possible. The latter sounds boring, but I enjoyed it. It helped me get to know the rest of the team a lot better!

Once July 2018 rolled around, I received a promotion to Admin Aide. It was a rough transition, and I'll be completely honest with you and say I was scared to be thrown among the high rankers. I can definitely tell you that that fear was completely wiped away once I got into the swing of things. I was welcomed with open arms, just like anyone else. The admins aren't that scary, I promise. That daunting red username is nothing more than that, a color on their name that lets people know that we're here to help. As an Admin Aide, I help discuss things with Thunder that need to be brought to the attention of staff but make sure things are presented properly and clearly. We also handle any major issues that come up, and I will say that I still swing my hammer at those nasty bots whenever one scuttles by. I typically leave them for the current Global Moderators, but we have a nice little system in place where I'm able to get an email ban in place and delete the account from the site so that their icky profiles don't clutter up the forum.

Outside of Advanced Scribes, I am a U.S. Army National Guard Veteran. I dedicated eight years of my life to serve my country, and wouldn't have done it any different. From freezing weather in my state, to the scorching deserts of the National Training Center in Ft. Irwin, CA. I did my damndest to be the best and keep our vehicles ready for any natural disasters around the country. I never got to deploy overseas, but I did have plenty of in country deployments for fires and floods as well as just training in general. Lots of good memories, and that training shaped me into who I will be for the rest of my life.

Once my time was up in the military, I worked in customer service for about five years. I hated it, definitely not what I wanted to do for the rest of my life, but it paid the bills. I'm surprised I lasted there for five years, to be honest, but it wasn't long before I finally gave up that and started into my current career.

Now, most of you already know this, but I'll leave it here for those who don't. I have /always/ wanted to be in Law Enforcement. So, when I heard that the jail was hiring for Detention staff, I jumped on that. Sure, I wouldn't be out patrolling the streets as a police officer, but I would still be doing my civil duty by keeping those who deserve to be locked up behind bars and away from the innocent public. It's a hard job, mentally and physically draining with long twelve hour shifts where you are literally stuck with the worst of the worst. I deal with people who have minor traffic warrants up to serial rapists and murderers on a daily basis. I get sexually harassed, spit on, and screamed at every day. It's taxing, it's cruel, but I love it. This job will get me one step closer to heading out on the streets, and I cannot wait. I won't just be Officer 'Shepard', when I'm done I'll be Deputy 'Shepard'. (Shepard is not my last name, as much as I wish it was, but you get the gist.)

At home, and away from the stress of work, I have two lovely furbaby kitties. I love them so much, and I love kissing their little furry faces off. Needless to say, it's a one sided love (':. I'm just their food dispenser and poop cleaner-upper. They are my life savers though, and while they aren't exactly papered, they do help me manage my stress from work to a tolerable level before I get thrown back into the thick of it.

That's really all I have for you. I'm really not good at writing about myself or anything close to this, so I apologize if it's a little hard to read. I'd much rather write fiction, to be honest. Nothing better than portraying myself as a paladin knight on a quest to slay the evil dragon, rather than the noodly armed veteran who wants to be a cop. Heh.
x
Do you have ideas as to what you would like to see here? Don't be afraid to share through our google form!
ichor.
Admin Aide

AS Afflatus - Issue 21 - Featured Works

Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:03 pm

Image x
we don't cry over boys by gneas
Hidden text.
its one : fifty-four am
and for some reason
you keep crossing my mind

and as a snarky smile tips the
corners of my lips
i scoff in shame
and tears well into my eyes

we don't cry over boys,
i remind myself.
we don't cry over boys

and i'll encounter this moment
again
and again
until i forget what your clothes smelt like
that made me feel at home
until i forget the laughter
that left us breathless
until i forget the body heat we shared
that made me feel whole
until i forget what the feeling of the
ends of your fingers
felt like in the dead of night
that made me stop moving

and i'll encounter this moment
again
and again
until i forget how to feel again
so i can remind myself
that we don't cry over boys
( ✯ ) ' under the pink moonlight ! by miihru
Hidden text.
I'm sorry, but have you seen this whole thread of the wonderful miihru's coding? It is so nice and tidy - the coding is absolutely phenomenal and I'm not afraid to say that she's been a major inspiration to me ever since I began experimenting with my coding and trying to come up with something neat! Honestly, miihru, how do you even do things like these; your coding looks phenomenal, hun. ♥
⚔ ━ sever by important
Hidden text.
One more push of the chains.
Just enough to splinter them.
Maybe they’ll crack this time.

They never break.

It didn’t start as metal.
String.
It’s a lot easier to cut string.
One tug up with a blade,
You’re free.

Snatched back, by the throat this time.

A rope.
Rope is harder to sever.

Fire, now that works.
Pressing the flames too close to the flesh.
Hate the smell, love the feeling.

Bottom of the bottle,
Sting of metal,
More pills than there were remedies.

The links loosen just enough to slip through.
It burns, but stopping will cost you.
Only one place to go.

Selfish, needy, worthless.
Whore, slut, begging for it.

It didn't start with a string this time.
Ankles, wrists, neck.

Somethings never change.
Sometimes, they get worse.

A lot worse.
Blood. Flesh.
Screaming and tearing and it never stops it doesn't stop it doesn't it
(me, softly) what the fuck. by toast
Hidden text.
I had always been in awe of you. You were ethereal, crafted carefully from gold by the steadiest of hands. I was all hollow eyes and sunken cheeks, rice paper skin with glass beneath the surface. You didn’t notice me at first, but I was drawn to you from the moment I sensed your presence. A sea of bodies between us but all I could feel was you. The honey glow of your cheeks could have felled the stars and the genuine glee in your smile could have pull the moon from the sky. They would have hoped you’d bless their existence the way I hoped you would bless mine.

It was a foolish sentiment, really. You were truly human and I only pretended to be, parading around in mortal skin. Our paths were meant to cross, but not to intertwine. Yet I tangled them anyway, and tied knots every chance I could get. I wanted you, and I was scared by how much I wanted you and I might have stopped at nothing to have you. I could see my future in you, but I could just as easily see my demise.

——

You had grace in the face of hate, and in the face of horror; horror that I could not help but create. It was etched into my skin, sewn into my muscles and ligaments and veins. It was horror, hate, and violence that constructed the very core of my being. And yet you managed to love all of me anyway. Even when I made it hard, damn near impossible.

You loved me with all of your heart, and if I had a heart made of anything other than stone and the bones of martyrs, I would have loved you too. Perhaps this imbalance brought about our end. Or maybe I’m just a marbled King Midas, turning all I touch to stone and crushing it under fist and foot. Perhaps we were always meant to fail.
ichor.
Admin Aide

AS Afflatus - Issue 21 - Activity Center

Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:04 pm

Image x
Though Valentine’s Day has come and passed, this month's activity is a love letter from your OC addressed to their crush/partner. This is a fun, little activity that will be worth 20 points! These can be deep and lavish, or short and sweet, as long as they fall within the site wide literary requirements. Be sure to include Afflatus March Activity in the post title to make it easier to count points!

You can view staff answers to questions submitted from last month's activity here

Have suggestions for future activities? Don't be afraid to share through the google form!
ichor.
Admin Aide

AS Afflatus - Issue 21 - Anon Compliments & Critique

Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:04 pm

Image x
Anonymous Kitsune wrote:looking back on it all, it just sunk in that forlorn (idk an ichor, I am never letting go okay) has been running the afflatus for a long ass time. very happy for her, very proud of her commitment because wow is twenty issues a lot. you've been doing great.
who are you let me squish you with love
Anonymous Kitsune wrote:I don't know what would become of me without important's guidance and advice. He's there whenever I feel down and offers better solutions to my problems than some of my closest friends who've known me for longer. He's always there and I feel like I can trust him without questions. I love you, my little potato. We have met on accident but I'm so glad our friendship grew and we became close and keep in touch. You light my way through the darkness and you've been a very good friend and a wonderful guide. I'm so sorry that issues are rising up in your life and I feel guilty for not being able to do more but to offer support through a screen instead of being able to hug you and promise everything will be okay. I love you a lot and I'll always be there for you, no matter what happens and no matter how many years pass. You've kept me sane and pushed me to keep going and believe in myself so many times and I'm incredibly thankful for all of it. I just hope one day I'll be able to give at least half of that kindness back. ♥
Anonymous Kitsune wrote:Ah, my dear friend, Avani. It's been years that we've known each other and I'm so lucky to know you in real life, have a chance to hug you and eat pizza as we laugh our asses off at the people in the ice rink. You're a great friend and I love you a lot. You're a wonderful artist and you're an amazing person who will achieve greatness. I'm so proud of how far you've come and how mature and clever you've grown; I can't imagine a life without you, even if we don't talk as much as we used to. Your little lawyer friend is always going to be there to help you out when shit goes wrong and offer advice wherever she can. I'm so sorry for not being able to write anything for your birthday because of my own issues but I hope you had a blast; I'll definitely get better in making you gifts and making you feel like the special little bean that you are. ♥
Anonymous Kitsune wrote:This isn't going to be completely anonymous because of how close were are, but whatever. I just want to publicly announce my undying love to our amazing Salt Squad, a.k.a. blue and ichor., together with yours truly. Honestly, these two are the two missing pieces of my soul and heart, always being there for me whenever times are tough and whenever I need to sass about something going wrong. I love both of my little beans and I have adopted them under my wings, even though we're the Mom Friend to each other. I love how flawlessly we work together and how we can help each other out, even if it's not Keeper-related. I am so very lucky to have these two in my life and I'm going to do everything I can to keep them next to me as far as I can. Love both of you and you'll forever be my beloved potatoes. ♥
Anonymous Unicorn wrote:Thunder. Thank you for taking the survey results to heart and trying to improve. It feels good to hear that we are listened to, at least. Please keep on going like you are now! I'm positive everything will be alright in the end. Transparency is key between staff and users. I know things must have been rough with all the staff changes but I am certain things will be alright. Keep on going!
ichor.
Admin Aide

AS Afflatus - Issue 21 - Reminders & Point System

Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:05 pm

Image x
Just a couple of reminders for the Afflatus! x
1. Any entry submitted through the Google form is worth 5 points. Things that will be submitted through the Google form are:

xxxxxxxa. Dear Stag submissions
xxxxxxxb. Prompt Suggestions
xxxxxxxc. Featured Works Nominations
xxxxxxxd. Anonymous Compliments
xxxxxxxe. Member Corner Submissions
xxxxxxxf. Question Submissions
xxxxxxxg. Suggestions/Questions for the Afflatus or site

2. Dear Stag can feature anything you want to ask. This can be writing tips, life tips, advice, and so forth. Keep in mind that the Afflatus is posted once a month, so things that need to be answered urgently are not best to submit. Additionally, we are not professionals, so heavy matters should be discussed with a trusted adult. We will do our best to answer each submission every issue, but may have to save other matters for later issues.

3. Dear Stag submissions should be submitted by the end of the second week of the month, so that there is enough time to provide an adequate response to the submission.

4. The Featured Works segment can feature anything from the site. Roleplays, characters, art, personal writing. When submitting a featured work, please include the member's url, the url to the post and post title, and state what it is that is being featured. I will notify users that their work has been featured.

5. When submitting an anonymous compliment, please include username and link to their profile. I notify these users after each issue is posted so that they know they've received a compliment and it makes it easy to track them down in case usernames are changed!

6. When posting submissions to the thread, please make sure the name of the submission is in the title. So, if it's a character interview, please mention that in the title. If it is an activity, please put that in the title. However, it is not a big deal if it is forgotten, though it can clear up any potential confusion.

7. Please post each submission to the thread in separate posts. This makes tallying points much easier.

8. Remember, you can post up to two (2) character interviews/otp quizzes per issue and only one prompt per issue.

9. You are welcome to submit anything to the Member Corner, within reason. Book reviews, recipes, and anything else you can think of. Not everything will be able to used, but will certainly still count for points and saved for future use! The Member Corner will also be used to address any feedback received through the Google form.

10. At the end of the month I will post the following on the thread: "Any posts made after this will not count towards points." I will be trying to stay consistent with this and plan on doing this on the last day of every month by 11:30 PM CST time. Please note that if this doesn't happen for a day (or more) then you can assume it's fair game to submit more things to the thread, since it is likely taking some time to get the next issue out. The Google form, however, will be closed the night before the next issue.
x Points System x Through Google Form

Dear Stag Submission ……………………....................................... 5 points
Featured Works Nomination ………………................................... 5 points
Future Prompt Suggestion ………………...................................... 5 points
Compliment Submission ………………......................................... 5 points
Member Corner Submission ………………................................... 5 points
Character Interview Question Submission (min 5) ……........... 5 points
Member Interview Question Submission (min 5) ……............. 5 points
Feedback Submission ……………….............................................. 5 points

Through Thread

Character Interview/OTP Quiz Submission ………… 10 points
Member Interview Submission ………...................… 10 points

Prompt Submission
0-500 words ………………………. 10 points
500-1000 words ………………….. 20 points
1000-2000+ words ……………….. 30 points

Activity Participation - will vary depending on level of difficulty