AS Afflatus: Issue Twenty-Two

Where you can find all published issues of the Advanced Scribes Afflatus, our very own newsletter!

Moderator: Admin Aide

ichor.
Admin Aide
House: Halcyon Keeper

AS Afflatus: Issue Twenty-Two

Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:51 am

Image x
If you are a new reader of the Afflatus, welcome! This magazine is meant to be interactive with our members, meaning submissions, suggestions, and nominations are encouraged! For each contribution to the Afflatus, points will be awarded to the house! Through this magazine, we aim to provide tips and inspiration as well as updates regarding the site. To make a submission, you can do so by using this form or even posting directly to the thread.

Submissions that are meant to be shown for the next issues are: Dear Stag, Featured Writing, & Anonymous Compliments/Critique.

Afflatus Contents: Title Post, Updates, Dear Stag, Member Interview, Character/OTP Interview & Prompt, Member Corner, Featured Works, Activity Center, Anonymous Compliments.

Current Staff/Team Members: Thunderofthedrum, Commander Shepard, Snow, Helianthus, Ichor., Kami, Blue, NeverNever, Cerise, Chemically Poisoned. Here is our team page.
ichor.
Admin Aide

AS Afflatus - Issue 22 - Updates

Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:53 am

Image x
1x1 Event: 1x1 Roleplay Event has ended and you can check out the point results HERE. Don’t forget to cast your vote in the poll to determine the thread limit for the future!

New Mini Event: A new mini-event that takes place in-house has been posted HERE; it’s a great opportunity for a shorter timeline and a different writing style. This event will begin April 5th.

April Fool's: Happy April Fool's! This year's theme is Harry Potter. We hope you guys enjoy the silly little word changes!

New Anonymous Box: Presenting a new, general use feedback box that is entirely anonymous so that we can get more feedback on a regular basis! Look out for an announcement regarding this soon!

2019 House Points: Curious how many points your house has earned thus far in 2019? An update was posted in the Mini Announcements thread. You can find it HERE.

Issue 21 Totals:
x Halcyon - 235
Vipera - 120
Sagacitas - 180
Amaranthine - 0
ichor.
Admin Aide

AS Afflatus - Issue 22 - Dear Stag

Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:53 am

Image x
Dear Stag,
sometimes, I find myself getting stuck and can't write my replies. got any tips?
- Anonymous Wyvern
  • Focus on your surroundings. Sometimes there are things that keep you from writing as well as you can and these can easily be fixed by putting on some nice music (I personally go for video game soundtracks or classical music). Try taking a break from writing in general - perhaps if you've been forcing yourself to write 24/7, it has simply become more akin to a chore and you need to take a break from anything typing-related and refresh your creativity. Life isn't circling around writing and no one is going to come after you if you don't reply immediately. Especially if outer things are causing you more stress and keeping you from relaxing and writing your heart out.
Dear Stag,
I have a presentation that I have to give in class that has to last four to five minutes. The material has to be all memorized by heart. Got any tips?
- Anonymous Wyvern
  • Start with note cards - put down all the points you want to include, the sources you want to reference, everything. The next big step is to gauge how long it actually takes you to present all of that - most phones and laptops have mics and applications you can use to record yourself, even if you don’t want to include video footage (as we all know how awkward it is to watch yourself!). You may find that what you thought would be about 4-5 minutes turns out to be only 3, or maybe more like 10! This will give you a good baseline to then think about whether you need to add or trim material, or perhaps to adjust how quickly or slowly you are speaking. After that, it call comes down to the memorization part. The note cards are key to starting out! Beyond that: practice, practice, practice. It also helps to be very familiar with the content - the meaning, the logic of the material such as if you are presenting a portion of history or a how-to, the sequence of events, the mindset of the author if presenting a book, etc. Utilize that mic again to record yourself, and if you are nervous about presenting in front of class, what may help is to do a lot of trial runs such as in front of your parents, friends, or even over Skype with a buddy! Starting with smaller amounts of familiar people may help you start adjust to the idea of standing in front of your classmates. That said, no presentation will be perfect and it’s okay if you end up needing to rush the conclusion a smidgen or leave out one fact - that happens to a lot of people.
ichor.
Admin Aide

AS Afflatus - Issue 22 - Member Interview

Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:54 am

Image x

1. Who is your best friend and where did you meet your best friend?
2. What is your greatest achievement?
3. Who is someone you aspire to be like?
4. Are you a birthday person?
5. What is your dream job?
6. What is your zodiac sign? Do you think it fits you?
7. What are some goals you want to accomplish in five years?
8. Name three places you’d like to vacation if money wasn’t an issue.
9. If you knew you could never fail, what is something you’d attempt to do?
10. Do you believe everyone deserves a second chance?
11. What are you paranoid about?
12. What language(s) do you want to learn.
13. What language(s) can you speak on a decent level?
14. Who was your first celebrity crush?
15. What are three things you want to do before you die?
ichor.
Admin Aide

AS Afflatus - Issue 22 - Character Interview & Prompt

Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:55 am

Image x
1. Who comes up with cheesy pick up lines?
2. Imagine your otp is counting down to the New Year. Who goes in for the celebratory kiss?
3. Who plans most of the dates?
4. Who is “in the mood” more often?
5. Who whines more when they are sick or injured?
6. Who gets their way most of the time?
7. Who is more indecisive?
8. Who gets jealous more?
9. Who would be the stricter parent?
10. Who is more likely to cheat on their partner?
11. Who is a sore loser?
12. Who is more spoiled?
13. Who is the big spoon? Little spoon?
14. Who would propose first?
15. Who loves to be held by the other?

x Prompt x
Pick one (1) of the two prompts.

He's been stealing dreams

or

"I came to say good-bye."
ichor.
Admin Aide

AS Afflatus - Issue 22 - Member Corner

Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:56 am

Image x
Anonymous Wyvern wrote:
I really liked submitted questions for the staff interviews and seeing them answer. can we do that again sometime? I feel as if it will bring the community more together.
We definitely can! We'll keep it in mind for use again in future activities. There is also the Ask the Staff thread where you can direct questions to anyone and everyone whenever your heart desires! Please ask us questions, we love answering them and try to do so as much as possible!
Anonymous Kitsune wrote:
It'd be nice to have more staff members write down more 'biographies' and meet the other moderators on such a detail and in a similar fashion - while some are more visible than others, not much is known about most of the staff members apart from where they work or what they're studying. :)
We're so glad that you liked this little segment we tried out and definitely plan on doing more of these biographies in future Afflatus issues! Keep your eyes out for them!
x

Do you have ideas as to what you would like to see here? Don't be afraid to share through our google form!
ichor.
Admin Aide

AS Afflatus - Issue 22 - Featured Works

Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:57 am

Image x
i wouldn't mind dying with you ♢ by sylver
Hidden text.
He still remembered the first night they had played this game.

That day, over two centuries ago, he should have died. Sylvester wasn't a particularly spiritual person, and yet he wasn't exactly fazed when a wizard manifested in his room late at night and introduced himself as death itself. To him, death certainly didn't look like death; he was no dark, cloaked figure holding a scythe while thick, shadow-like smoke billowed around him. If anything, he looked a bit like a wizard that he'd fancied before falling ill.

Death himself was kind enough to tell him not to think much of it, in a voice that was so average, it could have belonged to any other human. His appearance depended on what the person he had come to claim would like to see the most, and it was enough of an explanation for Syl to drop the topic.

He'd been sick for such a long time that the thought of dying no longer bothered him. It was when death approached him, however, and extended a hand towards him that he began to think. Syl thought of his mother and of his father, of his half-sister and of his friends. Even though he had long come to terms with the fact that he would die, they all kept on fighting for him. Told him that he would make it, that he had his whole life ahead of him.

"stop it you nitwit talking such nonsense, Sylvester!" his mother had yelled in his face just this morning when he refused to eat, with the calm explanation that the food would be wasted on his failing body. "You're not going to die! My baby, my little wizard isn't going to die!" Her voice had cracked, tears pooling in her eyes before they dripped down her cheeks. She'd fallen to her knees shortly after, her body wrecked by loud sobs and choked wails as she clung to his frail form. "You'll turn twenty in two weeks," she had whispered, face buried into his shoulder, "and you'll get better. You'll get out of this bed and do all the things you always wanted to do, you hear me? You can't leave me... us. You won't leave us."
26% STOLEN by ariel.
Hidden text.
Flames rushed across the ground, racing towards the armored men. The movement of the fire was unnatural, there was too much intention. It reached out, grasping for one of the men's ankles; relentless as it rushed upwards. Screams were muffled as flames dove into the wizard's open mouth and to his lungs, suffocating him with each breath until there were no more to take.

Kai's hand came up, attempting to protect his skin from the heat as his opponent fell. He stumbled back, while the flames did not touch him merely being exposed to them was almost too much. He could feel her anger.

Following the trail of burning, his gaze found Adelaide. Her hands were outstretched; holding the fire until she was sure the wizard would not rise to his feet. Orange and red bounced off her dark skin, the flickering crawled up her face and filled her gaze. She was beautiful, consuming, in the heat of battle. It was easy to be distracted by her, to let the war fall away behind him. He could stand there forever, in awe of her. But no amount of beauty could drown out the cries of battle that surrounded them, suffocating them.

The beauty, the flames - it went up in smoke in an instant.

"Adelaide!" he yelled as her cry snapped him out of his trance. Leaving the corpse behind, he ran for her, unable to catch her before she fell to her knees. Her hand gripped the arrow that protruded from the front of her shoulder, blood oozing from between her fingers. The archer had fired again before he could reach her. Another arrow lodged into her, closer to her heart, and knocked her onto her back. "Adelaide," he said again, softer, falling to his knees beside her.
Wisdom Teeth by Grengirl
Hidden text.
All right so back a long long time ago when dinosaurs still roamed the earth.. No not that long ago sorry. Just back when I only had one job and one child so before 2005. I know that's is still a long long time ago to some of you but anyway, when I was younger and wiser I got rather frustrated with my wisdom teeth. Riding up then sinking back down to just partially under the gum line. I'm not kidding when I say it hurt, and I'd been putting up with it for years. Finally one of my four wisdom teeth broke up and had to be removed. Luckily this one could be done at my normal dentist but the ones on the bottom couldn't be and the disintegration of that top one finally got me that necessary referral paper to get the remaining three removed surgically and before the same happened to them.

What?. Oh I know this is supposed to relate to Valentines Day. just wait for it I'm getting there.

So I got my surgical consult and then it came time to choose my surgery date. It was late January at this time so the first date open was, that's right you guessed it, February 14th! This was less than two weeks off and the next open date was in May. What would you have chosen? Obviously we know what I chose.
ichor.
Admin Aide

AS Afflatus - Issue 22 - Activity Center

Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:57 am

Image x
This month's activity is a Famous Authors Crossword! For each right answer, you can earn 2 points, meaning there is a total of 24 points that can be earned with this activity! Please PM your answers to ichor. with the subject containing AS Afflatus: Issue 22 Activity so that things go straight to the designated Afflatus folder for easy keeping! Write out your answers next to each clue number to ensure things are counted correctly.

Example:
Across
1. Answer
7. Answer
9. Answer

x
x
Have suggestions for future activities? Don't be afraid to share through the google form!
ichor.
Admin Aide

AS Afflatus - Issue 22 - Anonymous Compliments

Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:58 am

Image x
Anonymous Wyvern wrote:Just wanted to thank ichor/forlorn for the afflatus. They put so much hard work into them. I always check in the beginning of the month for the afflatus. It is so much fun to do. c:
Ahhh thank you, this means a lot!! ♥
Anonymous Unicorn wrote:Pirate is honestly one of the greatest people I have ever met. I'm so glad we reconnected and wish we kept in contact longer. She is one of my greatest friends now and I don't deserve her. She is so selfless and kind-hearted, would do anything for me and those she cares about, and she deserves the world and more. I wish I could give that to her. Her writing is incredible too; so detailed, descriptive, and interesting. I could read her work all day, she's a joy to write with. Everyone go give her love because she deserves it. Thank you for being you, Pirate <3
Anonymous Kitsune wrote:this is a shoutout to my family, caim, meraki, night fury, and ren. i love you guys more than words could ever say, and i don't want y'all to ever forget it. thank you for everything you all have done. i'm eternally grateful. even if you test my patience, i still love y'all more than anything. ♥
Anonymous Kitsune wrote:shout out to the lovely ichor for being an amazing friend and a good shoulder to come to every now and then. even if we don't talk much i still love every conversation we have. love u, penguin ♥
Love you too ♥
ichor.
Admin Aide

AS Afflatus - Issue 22 - Reminders & Point System

Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:59 am

Image x
Just a couple of reminders for the Afflatus! x
1. Any entry submitted through the Google form is worth 5 points. Things that will be submitted through the Google form are:

xxxxxxxa. Dear Stag submissions
xxxxxxxb. Prompt Suggestions
xxxxxxxc. Featured Works Nominations
xxxxxxxd. Anonymous Compliments
xxxxxxxe. Member Corner Submissions
xxxxxxxf. Question Submissions
xxxxxxxg. Suggestions/Questions for the Afflatus or site

2. Dear Stag can feature anything you want to ask. This can be writing tips, life tips, advice, and so forth. Keep in mind that the Afflatus is posted once a month, so things that need to be answered urgently are not best to submit. Additionally, we are not professionals, so heavy matters should be discussed with a trusted adult. We will do our best to answer each submission every issue, but may have to save other matters for later issues.

3. Dear Stag submissions should be submitted by the end of the second week of the month, so that there is enough time to provide an adequate response to the submission.

4. The Featured Works segment can feature anything from the site. Roleplays, characters, art, personal writing. When submitting a featured work, please include the member's url, the url to the post and post title, and state what it is that is being featured. I will notify users that their work has been featured.

5. When submitting an anonymous compliment, please include username and link to their profile. I notify these users after each issue is posted so that they know they've received a compliment and it makes it easy to track them down in case usernames are changed!

6. When posting submissions to the thread, please make sure the name of the submission is in the title. So, if it's a character interview, please mention that in the title. If it is an activity, please put that in the title. However, it is not a big deal if it is forgotten, though it can clear up any potential confusion.

7. Please post each submission to the thread in separate posts. This makes tallying points much easier.

8. Remember, you can post up to two (2) character interviews/otp quizzes per issue and only one prompt per issue.

9. You are welcome to submit anything to the Member Corner, within reason. Book reviews, recipes, and anything else you can think of. Not everything will be able to used, but will certainly still count for points and saved for future use! The Member Corner will also be used to address any feedback received through the Google form.

10. At the end of the month I will post the following on the thread: "Any posts made after this will not count towards points." I will be trying to stay consistent with this and plan on doing this on the last day of every month by 11:30 PM CST time. Please note that if this doesn't happen for a day (or more) then you can assume it's fair game to submit more things to the thread, since it is likely taking some time to get the next issue out. The Google form, however, will be closed the night before the next issue.
x Points System x Through Google Form

Dear Stag Submission ……………………....................................... 5 points
Featured Works Nomination ………………................................... 5 points
Future Prompt Suggestion ………………...................................... 5 points
Compliment Submission ………………......................................... 5 points
Member Corner Submission ………………................................... 5 points
Character Interview Question Submission (min 5) ……........... 5 points
Member Interview Question Submission (min 5) ……............. 5 points
Feedback Submission ……………….............................................. 5 points

Through Thread

Character Interview/OTP Quiz Submission ………… 10 points
Member Interview Submission ………...................… 10 points

Prompt Submission
0-500 words ………………………. 10 points
500-1000 words ………………….. 20 points
1000-2000+ words ……………….. 30 points

Activity Participation - will vary depending on level of difficulty