AS Afflatus: Issue Twenty-Three

Where you can find all published issues of the Advanced Scribes Afflatus, our very own newsletter!

Moderator: Admin Aide

Please vote on a poem featured from the Member's Corner!

Jazzyleia's "The Rise of Skywalker"
22%
Gamora's "Untitled"
3%
Gamora's "wrong timing"
28%
Silence's "Afloat"
47%

Total votes: 32
python regius
Orange Belt
House: Halcyon

member interview

Mon May 13, 2019 8:46 am

• 1. If you could bitch slap one celebrity, who would it be?
    does trump count as a celebrity?
    2. Did you brush your teeth this morning?
    absolutely every day. feels gross leaving the house without brushing my teeth
    3. What is the meaning behind your AS name?
    i just really like snakes. like really like them. want to know more about snake heat-sensing organs than you ever thought there was to know? then I'm your gal, just wrote a review paper on that
    4. Who is someone you miss?
    there's more people in my life that I miss than don't
    5. What is a character of someone else’s that you adore?
    i feel so much pressure becauase like, all of them, but especially xPeppermint Kisses' Autumn and darkness.'s Vic
    6. What is a character of someone else’s that you wish you created for yourself?
    is this a thing? can't say I've ever felt like that
    7. What is the worst Mary Sue / Gary Stu trait you’ve seen?
    hmm it's been a while, but probably the whole gets along with everyone/always happy. who doesn't love a whole bunch of conflict
    8. Have you ever gone back and reread threads from your first year of roleplaying/writing?
    i'm so ashamed
    9. What is your guilty pleasure fandom?
    fckn warrior cats
    10. What is a name you are absolutely obsessed with?
    William, Beau, Ellis, and Rose
    11. Who is your favorite antagonist?
    Kilgrave
    12. How different was your life five years ago?
    well, I was still in highschool living with my parents, had no pets, and no hope of a siginifcant other. now I have my own apartment all to myself to share with 13 pets, and a partner of 2 years. no piercings to 20 + piercings. pretty crazy
    13. Would you want to know when you’re going to die?
    eh not really
    14. Do you hold grudges? What was the longest?
    only forever. mostly because I'll never confront a person about it if they don't confront me
    15. What would you be the god/goddess of?
    that special kind of lonely that comes from feeling like all of your friends mean more to you than you mean to them
    but also, those little gestures to show you appreciate someone without words
Gamora
Black Belt

Character Interview 2

Tue May 14, 2019 7:54 pm

• ──JACKSONxANDERSON

1. What subject is/was your character best at in school?
      He never actually graduated, but was always pretty good at math. He just had other things on his mind and didn't bother needing to worry about school.
      2. What is their favorite book?
      "Only comic books I guess, I hate reading. But the Harry Potter series isn't bad. I like the movies too."
      3. Favorite literary hero or heroine?
      Probably a marvel character.
      4. Favorite literary villain?
      Again, same as above.
      5. What would completely break your character?
      Losing Avery and the job probably. It's all he has now.
      6. How does your character feel about sex?
      Likes it a hell of a lot. Especially being roughed up by Avery.
      7. What is your character afraid of?
      Being alone and abandoned.
      8. What is your character reluctant to tell people?
      What his job is and how he grew up. He's not allowed to really tell people about his job anyway, but he definitely won't speak up about his past.
      9. What is your character’s major flaws?
      He gets suckered and manipulated easily. He has his whole life pretty much.
      10. What famous/"deep" quote does your character live/go by?
      "It is what it is."
      11. If they were a Disney villain/hero, who would they be and why?
      Hard to say, honestly.
      12. If they were to kill one family member/friend, who would they kill? Why?
      His father. 100%.
      13. If they found themselves in a soulmate AU, how would it 'appear' on them?
      Probably something superrr gay tbh lmao maybe a tattoo on his wrist or something?
      14. If they were a mythological beast, what would they be?
      I literally can't tell you why, but I could picture him a vampire.
      15. What is your character's favourite word and its meaning?
      "I don't know I say 'fuck' a lot."
    • ── IT'S JUST SOME]XXX
      XXXXUNSPOKEN THING

┌────────────────────┐
      i'm just your average marvel nerd & starmora
      enthusiast. feel free to pm me about anything.
      still suffering from post-endgame depression.
      julienuhhh100 days of summerstorage

└────────────────────┘

phenomenon
Orange Belt
House: Amaranthine

as afflatus | character interview one

Tue May 14, 2019 10:34 pm

• issue twenty-three. 2019.
      char. interview one
      CHARACTER INTERVIEW
      • rafael a. rostovtsev. last man standing.
        i. what subject is/was your character best at in school?
        he excelled at most things at an equal pace, but he particularly liked general chemistry and vertebrate physiology. not that he was amazing at either, but he did enjoy studying and learning about them. he didn't have to be the smartest in the classroom, he just have to be the deadliest.
        ii. what is their favorite book?
        either something like "crime and punishment" or "journey to the center of the earth." one of the classics as a beat-up paperback that he found somewhere, possibly in a used book store or at some abandoned place.
        iii. favorite literary hero or heroine?
        probably sherlock holmes. he admires the way the man thinks and plans so far ahead. also because mako called him that once (sarcastically) when he was examining a crime scene of a slaughtered mob hideout and the other soldier never let it go. so it's kind of endearing to him.
        iv. favorite literary villain?
        dr. jekyll and mr. hyde, easily. perhaps because it's too relatable.
        v. what would completely break your character?
        finding that one of his squad mates have died, especially if in a bad way. he would be devastated, but more angry, if mako died. especially if he could have prevented it or sacrificed himself instead. also, if he learned that everything he was fighting for was for nothing and for just another tyrant or empire that would take over innocent lives. that's not what he signed up for. it would destabilize his sanity.
        vi. how does your character feel about sex?
        ask him when he was in his early twenties, and he was on board whenever he wasn't training or on missions. other than that, it doesn't really give him a thrill anymore or anything like that. so really, he doesn't care too much nowadays.
        vii. what is your character afraid of?
        losing his mind and who he is, as if that hasn't been lost already. primarily, he's mostly afraid of being and fighting on the wrong side. and losing his newfound friends, which is a new concept for him - to have friends.
        viii. what is your character reluctant to tell people?
        everything. everything and anything, especially about his past. in general, he'll avoid most conversations if he can help it. if a conversation must be started or he can't get out of it, he'll avoid talking about himself as a general caution and reaction. might even give a fake name, if he feels like it.
        ix. what is your character’s major flaws?
        apathy, isolation, and putting the operations and end goals in front of other lives, particularly enemies and comrades. though, he's been better about it in light of recent events. he has to learn how to lighten up and live a little. his squad is helping with that, particularly mako and the psychologist. mostly mako.
        x. what famous/"deep" quote does your character live/go by?
        it's cliche, but "trust no one." and perhaps he even takes that too seriously.
        xi. if they were a Disney villain/hero, who would they be and why?
        for heroes: maybe aladdin. or flynn/eugene. maybe a combination of both, living freely and wildly for adventure without being tied down. for villains: hard to say... maybe shere khan? but then again, he couldn't care less who ruled what - he would just want to be left alone and live happily secluded. and hunt things for fun, maybe. he's not really the "take over the world" or "rule this area/city" kind of guy. likes the simple life and the simple stuff.
        xii. if they were to kill one family member/friend, who would they kill? why?
        he would never - it's against his entire nature, which is built upon trusting a select few people. he would only kill a "loved one" if there were innocent lives at stake and they were the root cause of it. even then, he might hesitate and think otherwise.
        xiii. if they found themselves in a soulmate au, how would it 'appear' on them?
        probably as a tattoo on his arm, either forearm or bicep, with some sort of symbol, number(s), or maybe their birth date. even then, that's a stretch considering he 1) wouldn't be in a soulmate au and 2) would run the other direction like a sad bean anyway.
        xiv. if they were a mythological beast, what would they be?
        a gryphon, perhaps. maybe some sort of dragon, depending on the day. both of them fly, which would be a critical part of that factor because that means freedom and he needs that. also, both are deadly in their own way and badass.
        xv. what is your character's favourite word and its meaning?
        home. because he lost his, never had one since, and only found it in the people in his squad.
n0mad
Yellow Belt
House: Vipera

Member Interview

Wed May 15, 2019 12:40 am

1. If you could bitch slap one celebrity, who would it be?
Taylor Swift, without a doubt. I honestly can't stand her. Sorry to those who do, I'll admit she is talented and I do enjoy her music. She can be so fake sometimes that it annoys the heck out of me. Also, i'd want to slap Zendaya because she is so beautiful she needs to stop. I love her.
Yes.
N0mad comes from my recent bender (no pun intended) of Avatar the Last Airbender. My obsession comes and goes and when it comes it hits hard.
My family back at home. Last year I moved to the coast so I haven't seen them very much. I also miss my mom who passed away just before my christmas. Rest in peace mom, love you.
Xavia. I am doing an amazingly fun and cute role play with Starryyskiies and her character is absolutely adorable and sweet.
6. What is a character of someone else’s that you wish you created for yourself?
Gamora. I mean why not, I'd be rich right now.
Love at first sight. The whole, "I don't even know him/her but the moment I saw him I fell in love" is all too cheesy for me and also somewhat lazy.
8. Have you ever gone back and reread threads from your first year of roleplaying/writing?
Still in my first year.
One Direction...
Tyler. As I use him for everything I role play, well almost everything.
Sasuke Uchiha.
Well, I was still living in Ontario with my dad, I was paid less. Just enrolled in the Canadian Armed Forces. It basically changed my life. My mom was still here. Now I live in Nova Scotia, I bought a house, I have a car, and I have an amazingly rewarding career.
No, I would waste all my time wondering "what's the point" and would do nothing. The thrill is NOT knowing when you're going to die.
I can only recall ever holding one and it's been absolved. I would say it lasted 10 years.
I'd be the goddess of "I don't feel like it"
“A lesson without pain is meaningless. For you cannot gain anything without
sacrificing something else in return, but once you have overcome it and made it your own...
you will gain an irreplaceable fullmetal heart.”
phenomenon
Orange Belt

as afflatus | character interview two

Wed May 15, 2019 7:55 pm

char. interview two
      CHARACTER INTERVIEW
      • james vincent becket. cherry kisses.
        i. what subject is/was your character best at in school?
        english and literature, for sure. advanced lit was a solid fav.
        ii. what is their favorite book?
        he'll answer the count of monte cristo, but lowkey it's really pride and prejudice. he would never admit that out loud, though. not soberly, at least.
        iii. favorite literary hero or heroine?
        elizabeth bennet bc she knows what's up edmond dantès
        iv. favorite literary villain?
        does sauron count. because he would answer sauron either way.
        v. what would completely break your character?
        finding his aunt and uncle dead (it's a bad town). or if alex dumped him. he would just be depressed. and not care anymore.
        vi. how does your character feel about sex?
        he's always down. he'll call in sick for work, he'll postpone just about anything.
        vii. what is your character afraid of?
        losing alex, losing his aunt and uncle, losing the farm. those three things anchor him in life.
        viii. what is your character reluctant to tell people?
        he's a bartender and looks like a hotshot and acts like one, but he's really not. but he wouldn't just tell people that he loves to read and that he's actually kinda smart (or wants to be) and that's an insecurity of his. he likes keeping up that "capable" and "bad boy" exterior because people treat him differently.
        ix. what is your character’s major flaws?
        what was said above. loves attention, a little too much. quick to anger and snappy when he's upset and wants to be left alone. works too much and will let it consume him if someone doesn't slap him. a terrible driver - more accurately, he likes to ignore warnings and speed limits. not really a character flaw, but it adds some dynamic... he also has moderate deutan color blindness, which frustrates him in certain situations and coincides with his short temper.
        x. what famous/"deep" quote does your character live/go by?
        that would be "don't be stupid," to which he never follows but says just about every time he's about to do something stupid.
        xi. if they were a Disney villain/hero, who would they be and why?
        for heroes: he would be prince naveen so fast. or flynn/eugene. bc he's a stupid piece of shit. for villains: nah, he'd be a sidekick of some kind. probably iago. something purposefully annoying and ridiculous with just a hint of mischievous.
        xii. if they were to kill one family member/friend, who would they kill? why?
        don't think he has it in him to pull the trigger. maybe one of his annoying cousins since they locked him in the barn once and burned some of his books (two different situations). yeah, maybe one of them. in reality, he would just prank them back.
        xiii. if they found themselves in a soulmate au, how would it 'appear' on them?
        a floral tattoo with ravens in it on his shoulder or forearm maybe. something pretty yet Extra. the ravens would be for him, while the flowers would vary on species depending on what his soulmate's favorite flowers are.
        xiv. if they were a mythological beast, what would they be?
        a sphinx. so he can ask the most useless, complicated questions just to mess with people. or a bigfoot/sasquatch. also just to mess with people and scare them in the middle of the night. he would just love the attention.
        xv. what is your character's favourite word and its meaning?
        alex. bc alex.
phenomenon
Orange Belt

as afflatus | member interview

Wed May 15, 2019 8:17 pm

member interview one
      MEMBER INTERVIEW
      • about phenomenon.
        i. if you could bitch slap one celebrity, who would it be?
        there are too many to name, sadly.
        ii. did you brush your teeth this morning?
        absolutely. part of the routine.
        iii. what is the meaning behind your as name?
        it's one of my favorite words.
        iv. who is someone you miss?
        rosie. that one dog i saw on a stroll recently that might have actually been an angel sent from heaven.
        v. what is a character of someone else’s that you adore?
        bellona's alex, honestly. and that one time ss was used as a fc. also, i often see some pretty interesting characters when i'm randomly browsing, like in the personal storage or in other rp's. so kudos to you guys.
        vi. what is a character of someone else’s that you wish you created for yourself?
        does steve rogers or bucky barnes count? or jason todd. or lara croft. or nathan drake. so, basically many. i mean, we can only admire and learn from other people's success to build upon them. so that's my excuse ok
        vii. what is the worst mary sue / gary stu trait you’ve seen?
        being a perfect person loved by all, somehow good grades, being handed a solid career, somehow feeling great, stereotypical/hollywood gorgeous, etc without some sort of flaw like narcissism, mental health issues, bad parents, boring work, or whatever. i need some conflict and more background than just a person and all their good traits. also, that cliche with the bad boy/good girl or good boy/bad girl concept (or whatever mix-up that has that dynamic) - not unless there's an actual good story, character flaws, etc, yk. otherwise what's the point, homie.
        viii. have you ever gone back and reread threads from your first year of roleplaying/writing?
        why would you remind me of these
        ix. what is your guilty pleasure fandom?
        uhhh... idk. buzzfeed: unsolved?
        x. what is a name you are absolutely obsessed with?
        adelaide, alexios, sebastien/sebastian, marius, alistair. generally, uncommon names.
        xi. who is your favorite antagonist?
        hydra. moriarty. the dark side. handsome jack. bioshock: infinite's the prophet. ;) myself in video games - lord knows how many times i miss a critical hit or walk off a cliff bc i'm not paying attention and my hands don't listen to me. in my head, my plans work perfectly. the execution itself is a hit or miss.
        xii. how different was your life five years ago?
        free from stress, mostly. less responsibilities, but less opportunities, growth, and friends.
        xiii. would you want to know when you’re going to die?
        lol no ty
        xiv. do you hold grudges? what was the longest?
        maybe for a little. i mean, i'll forgive and forget. but i'll never trust the person fully again. bye felicia
        xv. what would you be the god/goddess of?
        of staying in your goddamn lane, both metaphorically and literally in driving. of actual good writing for tv shows and movies when it comes to character development and arcs without stupid random deaths and character degradation for the "shock" aspect. of dogs.
Starryy Skiies
Silver Belt

Member Interview~

Wed May 15, 2019 8:38 pm

1. If you could bitch slap one celebrity, who would it be?
Oh hecc, if Betsy DeVos counts, 100% her. She' out there tryna make my life as a teacher way too difficult lol
Absolutely
I "rebranded" all my non family tied social media last year, and chose the name Starryy Skiies because I really love stars, and space! That, and I wanted a change from Time Lord and my old tumblr url thetonystarksbutt
I lost a really close friend at the end of last year, and moving on has been really tough
N0mad mentioned Xav, so y'all know I gotta throw in Tyler! I love that boy so much, he's soft and deserves all the love
Mmm, probably Thace from Voltron? Just so that he'd still be alive!
Oof, definitely when a character doesn't have any proper conflicts because they win everything with ease
Every now and then I'll go back onto chickensmoothie to read my writing from 10 ish years ago, and it's uhhh an experience my dudes
It's a toss up between Wings of Fire, and the furry fandom
Xavia, the name of my first oc! If my username for a game or something isn't Starry / Starryy Skiies, then it's probably either Xavia or Xaviaa
I gotta pick?? oof. honestly, most of the galra from Voltron have all my uwu's
Oh man. Five years ago I was just starting senior year of high school. I hadn't even started to consider that I was anything but straight spoiler alert, I'm bi as all heck , and I was still kind of stuck in the stage of not wanting others to know about my fandoms and interests for fear of being laughed at. I have waaay more confidence in myself and my hobbies now, though!
Definitely not. I'd just be stuck worrying about it for my entire life, my anxiety is troublesome enough as it is, I don't need that tacked on too!
I mean, I've held a grudge towards my absent father for my entire life, but that's the longest. I may hold a grudge for a few months if it's something that really hurt me or my friends, but being mad and negative towards others for too long is tiring and I have better things to do lol
Unicorns. Without a doubt, I'd be the Goddess of Unicorns.
Starryy Skiies
Silver Belt

Character Interview; Elara Kiitak

Wed May 15, 2019 9:31 pm

1. What subject is/was your character best at in school?
El would probably tell you combat training, but she's absolutely lying to you. She excelled at astronomy.
2. What is their favorite book?
If we're going by human literature bc who the heck knows that Galra read, probably Lord of the Rings. Elara loves a good adventure!
3. Favorite literary hero or heroine?
Elara absolutely vibes with Hamlet
4. Favorite literary villain?
She'd love Loki, tbh
5. What would completely break your character?
She's been through so much already, it'd take a lot. Losing her closest friends, or her girlfriend, Cadelle, would definitely break her down.
6. How does your character feel about sex?
Listen. Elara is the kinkiest lil Galra you're ever going to meet.
7. What is your character afraid of?
Her past coming back to haunt her
8. What is your character reluctant to tell people?
Who's blood was on her hands before she became a rogue. She's very reluctant about her past and what happened before she fled the Empire
9. What is your character’s major flaws?
Elara lets her emotions decide her actions quite often, even in situations where they shouldn't. If something hits hard enough and hurts her too deeply, she's quick to lash out and react in the worst of ways.
10. What famous/"deep" quote does your character live/go by?
"Fight like a girl"
11. If they were a Disney villain/hero, who would they be and why?
Elara and Megara they even sound alike lol are pretty similar. They both kick ass and have an attitude, and don't need anyone to save them. "I'm a damsel. I'm in distress. I can handle this" is a very Elara sounding quote
12. If they were to kill one family member/friend, who would they kill? Why?
Probably her father. El loves Arokt, and he's a good guy. But he's a high ranking lieutenant within the Empire, and he stands for everything she's against.
13. If they found themselves in a soulmate AU, how would it 'appear' on them?
I'd like to imagine her soulmate mark would be a word related to her soulmate tatooed somewhere on her body. Depending on the ship/timeline she'd have, things could be pretty interesting!
14. If they were a mythological beast, what would they be?
A dragon!
15. What is your character's favourite word and its meaning?
It's super cheesy, but Voltron. She grew up on stories of Voltron and how good things were before the Empire arose. The word means hope to her, something to fight for and believe in.
Grengirl
Bronze Belt
House: Sagacitas

Re: AS Afflatus: prompt

Thu May 16, 2019 12:28 pm

• "I'm not who I was one year ago and maybe, just once, change is good."
    - E. Grin

Change. It can be slow and incremental so slow it's hard to notice even.uUnti that isl you look back and reflect on it. That's what I'm doing now. Reflecting. This year was difficult but I swore it wouldn't change me. I was wrong. I don't even feel like the same person anymore. I guess I'm not that person anymore. That person was far more nieve than the person standing here now. That person did what was asked of them with vietually no question as to why or what the results would be, or whom might benefit from those directions. The person here now is, well not cynical exactly, but thinks more about consequences. I have to. There is another life depending on me.

Months of uncertainty and forcing myself to be places I feel overwhelmed in, letting strangers touch me. Well professional strangers not the ones on the metro or in the street. I wouldn't let them touch me. Not now and not then. Nor will I be letting strangers touch my baby that have no business doing so. I know I'm more kindly described as peculiar but this particular quirk isn't all that peculiar. Most people don't like to be touched by people they don't know; however they tend to be more tolerant of it than I am. I dont think I would have made it this far without my wonderful boyfriend. He is so sweet and supportive. Willing to take everything slowly with me. He supported my choices and my needs through this whole thing and he made sure everyone else that mattered did too.

One year ago and he and I were more strangers than not. We knew each others names and he knew where I died and I knew what he was working on and how he liked his coffee; oh, and what he liked to eat with his coffee most days. One of two varieties of muffin if it was before noon, mostly one of two sandwiches we carried around lunch and a sweet like a cinnamon roll if it was the afternoon or late evening. He didn't usually come around supper hours. I'm not sure why. Though I infer now if it maybe had to do with me so rarely working those shifts? I know a waitress patron cliche meeting. But I have made other friends through that so called menial job. The owner is sweet and patient. I barely spoke when I first started there. Wow. I hadn't thought about that. Mean I've been there much more than a year but .. now I know why she looks so proud of me when she sees me chatting with patrons and even coworker's.

I guess I've changed and grown more than I thought; and no I don't regret any of it. I'm not sure how well I'm going to function as a mother but I'm not alone. I'm Anna by the way in case I forgot to tell you. I do sometimes forget to introduce myself. It was nice reminiscing with you. I hope we meet again soon.

513 words
Last edited by Grengirl on Mon May 27, 2019 11:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
xPeppermint Kisses
White Belt
House: Sagacitas

member interview✭

Fri May 17, 2019 5:28 am

• 1. If you could bitch slap one celebrity, who would it be?
    There are celebrities I don't care for, but I don't think anyone deserves violence.
    100%
    Peppermint is my favorite thing in the world, and back in high school my boyfriend said I always tasted like peppermint when we kissed.
    Panda, Rinji, and Elliott, the friends I've grown up with. We lived together in college and have steadily been growing apart as we get older. It makes me sad, but I guess that's just adulthood.
    python regius's Eli; and literally every character in a superhero rp I made a few years back.
    I didn't know people did this.
    Oh myyyyy. Just one? I read bad fanfiction on purpose, so I've seen lots of interesting traits. I guess the one that makes me the most upset is when they're related to a canon character.
    I definitely would if I could, but I started roleplaying on Neopets (17 years ago). I regularly look at my old work. I hate it, but I like looking at how I’ve grown.
    I don’t have one? I guess I don’t really understand guilty pleasures. I’m not ashamed to be a fan of anything.
    I don’t really have a name that I use a lot. I really like the name Guilherme, I guess. Shortening it to Hermes is cool.
    Deathstroke?? Yeah, I think I’ll go with Deathstroke.
    I still had two years left of college and was stuck at a job where I was under-appreciated. Now I have a bachelors in psych and work with kids at a company where I feel really valued. Overall, a great improvement.
    I would obsess over it.
    Never.
    Peppermint. And like… accidentally intimidating people.
ImageImageImage