AS Afflatus: Issue Twenty-Three

Where you can find all published issues of the Advanced Scribes Afflatus, our very own newsletter!

Moderator: Admin Aide

Please vote on a poem featured from the Member's Corner!

Jazzyleia's "The Rise of Skywalker"
22%
Gamora's "Untitled"
3%
Gamora's "wrong timing"
28%
Silence's "Afloat"
47%

Total votes: 32
avenoir.
Silver Belt
House: Halcyon

// this is me.

Fri May 17, 2019 2:51 pm

• 1. If you could bitch slap one celebrity, who would it be?
      i don't really care about celebrities. and if i hd the possibility to stay with a celebrity, i'd rather not bitchslap it but probably just pet their heads (especially the ones i like).
      2. Did you brush your teeth this morning?
      as always. after i (finally) got ride of braces, i really like my teeth more.
      3. What is the meaning behind your AS name?
      it comes from the dictionary of obscure sorrows, and the meaning is the following: x. i like the deep meaning of it, and also the way it sounds. my previous username, maya moon, were the names of my two cats, ahah.
      4. Who is someone you miss?
      the ones far away from me. like my dear sis. and the ones that left me, but are watching from above the clouds.
      5. What is a character of someone else’s that you adore?
      the witch petya created by moro, and most of my sis' characters.
      6. What is a character of someone else’s that you wish you created for yourself?
      i never thought about that. i just appreciate characters, but don't wish i created them myself.
      7. What is the worst Mary Sue / Gary Stu trait you’ve seen?
      well, i used to read fan fictions years ago, and the lack of negative aspects of a character was really a pet peeve of mine.
      8. Have you ever gone back and reread threads from your first year of roleplaying/writing?
      yes, and it felt cringe. i made lots of mistakes, but i have learnt a lot since those newbie post. i feel quite proud of myself.
      9. What is your guilty pleasure fandom?
      i don't have one. i am proud of what i like!
      10. What is a name you are absolutely obsessed with?
      there is not just one: elijah, dylan, thomas, evangeline...
      11. Who is your favorite antagonist?
      i think it's charles ambrose from solace. the depth of that character was amazing, and that movie is one of my favorite ones.
      12. How different was your life five years ago?
      i was still in upper secondary school, unsure about what i wanted to become, still with my ex-bf and hating my current one, still studying to get my driver license... now i'm considering the idea of leaving my place in favor of another state. nice change!! can't imagine who i'll be within five years.
      13. Would you want to know when you’re going to die?
      probably yes, out of curiosity, but then i'd stress over it... and try out plenty of scary things because i know they won't kill me, ahahah.
      14. Do you hold grudges? What was the longest?
      ah! you have a aster of grudges. i don't hold them for too long though, if people apologize. i don't know what is my longest one.
      15. What would you be the god/goddess of?
      wallflower, the goddess of shyness and books.
━━━━━━━━━━
muse: ◆ ◆ ◇ ◇ ◇ | time: ◆ ◆ ◆ ◆ ◇

r o l e p l a y s
:: deviancy, corrupted purity
nightmare, fight for your life
:: the arena

sismustiesenpaiboo

━━━━━━━━━━
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
SI VIS PACE, PARA BELLUM
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
i am sad and i feel like shit. bless my sis
for existing and making sure i won't have
a breakdown. please be patient...

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
if you want peace, prepare for the war
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Savannah-the-Caracal
Black Belt
House: Amaranthine

Member Interview

Sat May 18, 2019 3:30 pm

1. If you could bitch slap one celebrity, who would it be?
Uhhh.....idk. I don't really hate anyone, much less a celebrity to slap them across the face.
No, I haven't eaten breakfast yet so its kind of pointless to do rn
I have a character named Song of the Savannah, who is a caracal. So 'Savannah-the-Caracal'. I've been thinking of changing it to match my Minecraft usertag though.
Whenever I'm away from them I miss my siblings. They might bug the shell outta me, but I love them.
Hmmm....I really like Maiko Masami, from mine and Avenoir's pokemon rp.
6. What is a character of someone else’s that you wish you created for yourself?
From our old superhero teens escaping a facility rp between me and Jazzy, I really liked her character Xavier.
I read this ninjago fanfic a while back, and like...they turned Lloyd into a Gary stu and I just hated it.
8. Have you ever gone back and reread threads from your first year of roleplaying/writing?
Yes and then instantly wished I could delete them.
Ummm....I actually don't really have one. I'm pretty vocal about my likes/dislikes usually.
I really like the name Kai. I try not to use it a lot since its kinda out there and doesn't fit every character but...I really like it <3
Lord Garmadon of Ninjago
Oh dang, five years ago was when I first started getting online and things. Lets see....it was different in the fact that I had no experience with art, writing, or really just about anything that makes me the me I am today xD
No. Nobody should know that. Otherwise they might try to stop it, and end up causing their own death, and it just gets crazy.
I don't tend to hold grudges, but if I do then whatever the grudge is for is like a massive thing. 'You stole my art/code/whatever - I'mma be mad but I'm not going to hold it over you.' 'you hurt my siblings? prepare to freaking die.'
Wild Cats (with a Caracal familiar X3)
⧽▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬⧼
Don't know if I have ever heard you sing, but I hear it
Don't know if I have ever held your hand, but I seek it
Don't know if I have ever loved, but I feel it
Put the puzzle back together, see what I'm dreaming
when I find the pieces

⧽▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬⧼
Jazzyleia
Silver Belt
House: Vipera

AS Afflatus: Prompt

Mon May 20, 2019 1:59 am

Characters: Samantha McKay
Mentioning: Brandon, Xavier, Matt, Jason, and Darren
Warnings: mentions of previous death
Words: 773
Prompt: I'm not who I was one year ago and maybe, just once, change is good.

Maybe, just once, change is good. It's what she tells herself year after year. At the beginning of her life she knew no different. She was raised to pretend, raised to be anything else but what she really was. Yes her parents loved and adored her, treated her like the princess she was within their eyes, but things weren't always as simple as the stories made them out to be. Her story wasn't a happy one and it certainly wasn't the beginning of a fairy tale or super hero story. No she had that one of heartbreak, betrayal, finding people to call home, and screwing it all up again. For years she was taught that people would do anything and everything to want to find her and either kill her or take her away from her parents. Being an impressionable young child, Sam loved her parents and would do what they asked. And she had a very active imagination growing up. Year after year she would change. She was never the same person as she was before.

As her parents were ripped from her, Sam turned...dark. She lost everything in the world that meant anything to her. For months she spent time on the streets, pick pocketing from people here and there and getting enough money to make sure that she could eat or get into a tournament to make a little more cash. When she met Xavier, she changed. Maybe it was a good change, but it was better than nothing. She was pretty distant, not wanting to talk a whole lot at the beginning. Very few people knew about her and knew her name even. She was young still, only a teen, and already she was trying to find her way in a maze that had no exit. The first time she really felt the change was when she met the few guys around her. Matt and Jason were two great guys who enjoyed spending time around her, eventually coaxing Sam out of the slump she had sort of put herself into. But it was Darren that had done the most good.

She never had a sibling, barely got to settle down anywhere before she was moving again with her parents. But Darren offered her something that seemed so different. While the other guys would joke around with her, call her a little sister, Darren did it but in a much different way. A way that Sam could honestly agree with. He was like her, in some sort of way. Calculative, rational, and obviously didn't do bullshit. She didn't need to talk when around him, merely exist and enjoy the silence and the comfort of having him around. She changed when she was around him, and she became calmer.

But the biggest change came with Brandon. A year had gone by since the one night he had asked her to be his partner. In the heat of the moment she had agreed and there had certainly been some downs after it. She wasn't used to having a partner like Brandon, used to having someone who actually went out in the field with her all the time and did physical things compared to the Razor she had known always staying behind the scenes. But god that was the best thing she had ever done. Agree to be his birdy she meant. Sure there were ups and downs, secrets that she didn't know about Brandon, but things were working. Actually they were working very nicely.

Hence a year later the two of them were sort of taking a vacation together, getting away from everyone for a week to just be with each other. The two of them had a great night together, getting drinks and heading back to their hotel room for the night for some extra fun. Or rather they didn't exactly make it to their room as Brandon was pretty against having sex in a bed. But eventually the two of them did stumble back to their hotel room to curl up on the large couch together under a couple of blankets they had dragged from the bedroom, Sam happily laying on Brandon's chest while he gently played with her hair.

"You've changed Sammy. You are certainly a lot calmer, have a clearer head, and you are getting better with your morse." Sam couldn't help but smile, leaning up to press a gentle kiss against Brandon's lips before pulling away. "I'm not who I was one year ago, and maybe, just once, change is good. Some times you have to change in order to find what you are meant to be."
xxxx
Imagex News: ......
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx Roleplays:
Fandom [][∞] Deer [X][∞]
Momo [] Phoenix [X]
Snow [X] Gamora [X]
Avenoir [] Golden []
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
python regius
Orange Belt

character interview: older avery

Wed May 22, 2019 11:37 pm

• AVERY . GRIFFITHS
    1. What subject is/was your character best at in school?
    English
    2. What is their favorite book?
    Ellen Hopkin's Tricks
    3. Favorite literary hero or heroine?
    The Dark Tower's Roland
    4. Favorite literary villain?
    Count Olaf
    5. What would completely break your character?
    his actions leading to the endangerment or death of his pet rabbits
    6. How does your character feel about sex?
    Indifferent. It's a bargaining chip and a stress reliever, nothing emotional about it. and as long as he can tell himself he's always willing then he can tell himself he's in control
    7. What is your character afraid of?
    his life slipping out of his own control again. once was enough
    8. What is your character reluctant to tell people?
    everything. he doesn't talk about his emotions and he sure as hell doesn't talk about his past. he'd much rather focus on work and fixing other people's problems
    9. What is your character’s major flaws?
    by this point in his life, avery has very little ability to process and healthily deal with most emotions. he can be unpredictable, but mostly self destructive
    10. What famous/"deep" quote does your character live/go by?
    "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger"
    11. If they were a Disney villain/hero, who would they be and why?
    simba was actually the initial inspiration for Avery
    12. If they were to kill one family member/friend, who would they kill? Why?
    considering he has no family left and only one friend, he'd rather kill himself
    13. If they found themselves in a soulmate AU, how would it 'appear' on them?
    his mark for the other person would likely be a griffin, and the mark for him would probably be their favorite animal
    14. If they were a mythological beast, what would they be?
    probably an incubus
    15. What is your character's favourite word and its meaning?
    fuck. self explanatory
algorythm
Black Belt
House: Sagacitas

Re: member interview

Sun May 26, 2019 1:44 am

• 1. If you could bitch slap one celebrity, who would it be? OH I KNOW seungri for sure. probably someone in the western world too but I don't pay enough attention to know who deserves it rn.
    2. Did you brush your teeth this morning? I...think so? my days are real fuzzy and I have no idea lol, my teeth feel clean so probably.
    3. What is the meaning behind your AS name? why would you out me like this. there's literally reason it is what it is.
    4. Who is someone you miss? kim jonghyun's existence, any and all ambiguous relationships I have atm
    5. What is a character of someone else’s that you adore? merridew's bailey is a fave, sylver's calladin is a babe, everyone in our dnd rp would die for pirate-at-heart's fae and so would my character and I, deer's/kael's serena because she's so incredibly versatile and sweet, um and yeah. lots more but that'll take too long.
    6. What is a character of someone else’s that you wish you created for yourself? mm pirate's trystan cause she gets to hook up with rhys and yeah?? I'd be down, thanks?? fr though, I can't really think of any because of how happy I am to have what I have in my own rps and then I don't really follow any one else's rps too closely.
    7. What is the worst Mary Sue / Gary Stu trait you’ve seen? anything "woe is me" makes me want to cause actual woe.
    8. Have you ever gone back and reread threads from your first year of roleplaying/writing? oh no, those aren't available anymore lol. but I reread stuff from my first couple years on as quite often tbh.
    9. What is your guilty pleasure fandom? lmaoo does writing/reading smut count. that's the only thing I can think of that I'd be like, fuck, no one can know about this lol.
    10. What is a name you are absolutely obsessed with? okay aeleth is bomb, a bunch of the ancient greek female names (hestia, alcmene, etc) are so so good, I've really liked wu ji recently, I was really into elise and emma forever ago and then I really like tawara as far as last names go.
    11. Who is your favorite antagonist? hannibal, even if whether he's antagonistic gets questionable
    12. How different was your life five years ago? arbitrarily ig that's when I moved so...hella different, if only cause I was depressed for very different reasons and several, several, several kg lighter.
    13. Would you want to know when you’re going to die? I feel I'd be okay if I did know, so yeah, why not
    14. Do you hold grudges? What was the longest? nahhh, I think I always remember but to say it's ever an actual grudge is overstepping. the pettiest and the longest one is one from like...grade ten when I got told off for responding to a "hi" with "fuck off". I'm bitter. but also could care less lol.
    15. What would you be the god/goddess of? apathetic bitchiness? idk, unnecessary comments works, honesty if you want be poetic- all three apply rip.
sylver
Attendant

character interview / azhar

Mon May 27, 2019 3:29 pm

━━━━━( AZHAR )━━━━━

I've never been a perfect soul, but I will not apologize.

• 1. What subject is/was your character best at in school?
                He didn't exactly go to "school". He was taught by the elders of his clan and only bothered learning the bare minimum of what he needed to get through life. He knows how to read and write (in his clan's language and the common language), as well as some basic math, but he doesn't really enjoy and isn't particularly "good" at any of it. He's got more of a hands-on mentality and excelled at combat-related training.

He doesn't really read at all. Catch him looking at picture books of fancy weapons and gruesome battle scenes.

Just gonna go with the literary heroes we have irl and go with uhhh,,, Heracles, possibly? He seems like a Heracles-loving kinda guy to me. 10/10, would def be into the man.

He's really not a "villain loving" guy at all. In a way, I think he might kind of like Morgan le Fay, just because she's the first literary character that came to mind when it comes to someone who has been portrayed as both good and evil?

Having his freedom stripped away from him in some way or another - through imprisonment, slavery, etc.

He's super sex positive and doesn't shy away from talking about it openly. That being said, he isn't really the kind of person to actively pursue sexual relations. He enjoys flirtatious banter with sexual undertones and is more than happy to share the bed with someone, but most of the time, he let's others initiate it and simply goes along with it. That doesn't mean he isn't in the mood for it a lot though.

Being injured in a way that leaves him permanently physically/mentally impaired and unable to fight/pursue his mercenary work. Also, the same thing that would completely break him - being deprived of his freedom and having no way out. Losing his family as well.

He's not particularly secretive about most things, though he is at times reluctant to talk about certain emotions that make him seem vulnerable (fear, love, uncertainty, guilt, etc). He's also not very outspoken about the situation with his brother, but that's also to be blamed on it being an emotional soft spot of his.

He's a brash, reckless, impulsive idiot who refuses to shut up even when it would stop him from getting into trouble, and that's definitely his biggest flaw. Does he know when it would be better to stop talking? Yes. Does he do it? No. If he thinks someone's shit, he's gonna say it right to their face, even if they just so happen to be a powerful and influential person. If they piss him off enough, he might even deck them right in the face while he's at it. Consequences? Who cares.

"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." - Oscar Wilde

... Does Tarzan count as a Disney hero? He was raised by a small clan of fellow irl furries animal people who lived rather isolated from civilization, and he's very protective of his people and their way of life. Honestly, the main difference between them is that Tarzan actually likes reading, if I remember correctly? But even then, Az does enjoy learning new things, he's just not... particularly studious and way more interested in street-smarts. Things that are actually useful to him in day to day life, y'know?

His older brother, for betraying their family.

I feel like it would be that thing where he has a black stain on his body where his soul mate is supposed to touch him for the first time, and then the black marks turn colourful when they touch him. Catch his marks being on his knuckles and he decks his soul mate in the face. Or they're on his lips and he thinks it's just gonna be an one-night stand and when he pulls back from their neck, his lips are colourful and the other person is freaking out and wiping away make-up from their awkward lip-shaped stain on their neck, which is also colourful now. Shit, I love that one, though it would be somewhat hard to explain why they didn't touch at all previously,,, unless,,, gloves/bandages on hands? :eyes:

I see him as a manticore. Or, you know, were...cat?

Honestly, he doesn't have one. He clearly isn't into big words, or anything like that, so he would simply choose to go "Oh, no clue, what about you?" and let the other person lead the conversation here.
parlayx
Orange Belt
House: Vipera

member interview [ qunari. ]

Mon May 27, 2019 11:32 pm

• Image 1. If you could bitch slap one celebrity, who would it be?
        Probably, like, DJ Khaled because there's nothing worse than blatant double standards upheld by people in the public eye :))

Of course??

The qunari are a race of people from the videogame Dragon Age c: Their philosophy dictates that the well-being of their society (which is seen as a living entity) is the responsibility of all.

I miss a few old friends from high school. We've drifted apart a bit :c

I love this man right here. He's the best,, , he makes my posh boi Thello question every decision he's ever made,, //swoon

Draco Malfoy. So much could have been done that wasn't.

Character A revives Character B even though Character B's owner is set on them dying. (Like, seriously? You can't revive someone who's already bled out.... nice try though...)

Yes! Much to my chagrin and burning eyes, lmao. At least I have a grasp of basic story arcs now, right? That and characterization. And plot. And basically everything a decent writer should know??? But we've all got to start somewhere and I'm so glad I can see such a difference because it means I've honed my craft over these many, many years.

BBC's Merlin. It died so long ago and yet my ao3 has so many Merthur fics bookmarked. So many.

I love the surname Pendragon and if I could use it without immediately being linked to the Sword in the Stone/Arthurian legend I would slap it on a character in the space of a single heartbeat.

Humans! Specifically ones that end up as grudging allies, like TWD's Dwight or The Host's Wander/Melanie. (Listen, I know Steph Meyer sucks but The Host is a good book and this is the hill I have chosen to die on.)

Many many things are different and yet so many things are the same. I'm in university? I've tried LSD. (I've decided it's not for me, by the way.) I've crossed off another world wonder from my list. I've started learning Italian.
        I've moved back home. I'm still addicted to the internet and writing in general. So - good things and bad things?

Who says I'm ever going to die?

Hell yeah I do. I still have a grudge against this girl from 8th grade. (Allison, if you're here, stop being such a rude bitch all the time.)

Goddess of Chaos c:
xPeppermint Kisses
White Belt

Character Interview [Autumn]

Wed May 29, 2019 5:30 am

• Image A U T U M N ✯ W I N T E R

1. What subject is/was your character best at in school?
    Economics in high school, music theory in college.
    Watchmen? I think that counts.
    Esméralda from Hunchback of Notre Dame
    Loki from Norse Mythology
    Being unable to support his mom and brother. Someone getting hurt because of him.
    Yes. Very yes.
    What will happen if he breaks up with Adam. Being homeless.
    What happened to his ex, Basil.
    He’s extremely dependent, emotionally and financially. He puts himself last and values himself very little.
    “The secret of life, though, is to fall seven times and to get up eight times.” -- Paulo Coelho
    Anna. He’s close to marrying a man that’s just using him. One day he’ll end up with his true love. Also he’s adorkable.
    Autumn would never kill anyone. But for the sake of answering, Adam. It would only be in a life-or-death situation, though.
    A spider tattoo on his shoulder blade
    A siren, for sure. Luring men in with saucy seduction.
    Sultry, meaning attractive in a way that suggests a passionate nature.
python regius
Orange Belt

character interview: lana

Thu May 30, 2019 6:26 pm

• KATE . "LANA" . WALLACE
    Biology, she has a fascination with the inner workings of animals and people
    Ellen Hopkin's Identical
    Identical Kaeleigh/Raeanna
    Misery's Annie
    Her brother, who she has given every effort to provide for, becoming ungrateful
    terrified. the older she gets the more insecure she gets about it and herself, and so the more she avoids it
    her brother following in her footsteps, ending up alone, men
    anything about herself
    deep-seated insecurity and self-doubt. constantly avoiding and pushing people away
    "Death is not the opposite of life, but a part of it"
    Maleficent
    Her mother, no question
    Her mark for someone else would probably be some kind of skull, probably a cat. her soulmate's mark probably appearing as the skull of her soulmate's favorite animal
    A dragon with a hoard of bones
    phalanges, the bones of fingers and toes
xPeppermint Kisses
White Belt

Character Interview [Julius]

Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:36 am

Image J U L I U S ✯ R I C K E R S - C H R I S T I A N S E N
    Phys ed; he's athletic and loves sports
    The Tragedy of Julius Caesar
    Glinda the Good from Wicked
    Brutus from the Tragedy of Julius Caesar
    Being completely unable to help Eli, losing Sasha.
    Julius is a horndog, but he’s not into hookups. He’ll sex up Eli as much as possible. He thinks you should be able to laugh while being intimate; he wants to be able to laugh with his partner.
    Death. Not his own necessarily, but he's never had to cope with losing a loved one. Thinking about mortality is what really scares him.
    Not a lot… Julius is very open. He’s often reluctant to share any negative feelings he has.
    He is almost forgiving to a fault. He gets really clingy with friends and SOs and ends up getting hurt emotionally.
    “Try to be a rainbow in someone else’s cloud.” -- Maya Angelou
    Tadashi Hamada from Big Hero 6. Julius is all about helping people. He’d totally run into a fire to save someone.
    I can’t imagine Julius killing anyone ever.
    Eye color change (blue). He already has enough tattoos.
    Probably a merman. He loves swimming.
    Tenacious. Meaning determined, persistent.