AS Afflatus: Issue Twenty-Seven

Where you can find all published issues of the Advanced Scribes Afflatus, our very own newsletter!

Moderator: Admin Aide

morningstar
Archivist
House: Vipera

AS Afflatus: Issue Twenty-Seven

Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:31 pm

Image x
If you are a new reader of the Afflatus, welcome! This magazine is meant to be interactive with our members, meaning submissions, suggestions, and nominations are encouraged! For each contribution to the Afflatus, points will be awarded to the house! Through this magazine, we aim to provide tips and inspiration as well as updates regarding the site. To make a submission, you can do so by using this form or even posting directly to the thread.

Submissions that are meant to be shown for the next issues are: Dear Stag, Featured Writing, & Anonymous Compliments/Critique.

Afflatus Contents: Title Post, Updates, Dear Stag, Writing & Life Tips, Character Interview & Prompt, Member Corner, Featured Writing, Adventure Story, Activity Center and Anonymous Compliments and Critique.

Current Staff/Team Members: Thunderofthedrum, Commander Shepard, Snow, Ichor, Lost, important, Cas, Smamm, morningstar, Deer, Kami, Blue, Cerise, hallows eve, sylver, gold. Here is our team page.
morningstar
Archivist

AS Afflatus - Issue 27 - Updates

Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:31 pm

Image x
Staff Changes: Deer has joined the team as Overseer! Check out the announcement here!

100 Days of Summer event: We are on Prompt 94 out of 100! Not too late to join - members are invited to participate as much or as little as they want; every prompt you do will earn points towards your house, even if you just pick your five favorites and do only those! Remember, the event officially ends on September 10th!

New Theme: If you aren't already aware, we have a new theme that has been rolled out by our wonderful Overseer. To access this new theme, go to your User Control Panel --> Board Preferences --> Board Style. The new theme is called "Twilight Sky" and was created by quantisma back when we had the little contest!

New Explicit Sub-Boards; The explicit board now has sub-boards available! The sub-boards include: Explicit Listings, Explicit Discussions, Explicit Storage, and Explicit Share Your Writing! We know there has been confusion and hesitation over what to do with work that fall under the explicit board when there was no designated area for them and hope this helps everyone! Remember, to gain access to the explicit board is optional. For access, you must be 18 years old and have your age visible on your profile. Contact an Admin Aide for access!

Issue 26 Totals:
Halcyon - 180
Vipera - 65
Sagacitas - 135
Amaranthine - 35
morningstar
Archivist

AS Afflatus - Issue 27 - Dear Stag

Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:32 pm

Image x
Dear Stag,
What are five things you recommend to keep in your car?
- Anonymous Wyvern
  • This was a GREAT question! There were a lot of good resources discussed, so here are the top ten more or less. It was too hard to do just five!

Top ten:
    - First aid kit, including a pair of disposable gloves
    - Tire, whether full sized or ‘donut’
    - Jumper cables
    - Tools to change a tire, including a jack
    - Flashlight
    - Reflective triangle and/or reflective vest
    - Small extinguisher
    - Cold weather prep such as an ice scraper and a jacket and/or blanket
    - Personal items such as feminine hygiene and any meds such as allergies, nausea, or painkillers
    - Prep for low phone battery or no signal: phone charger and paper maps

That said, the team also came up with other handy ideas such as a couple extra ketchup packets, napkins, a pen and pencil as well as a small notebook, small trash bags, wet wipes, spare sunglasses, CDs or a cord to play music from your device, etc.

Check with your country or state - there may be some items you are required to keep in your vehicle in case of emergency.

Knowledge is also an extremely important resource to have. What does your first aid kit contain, and how do you use those items? How to use jumper cables? Where to place the jack and safely lift the car, and how to utilize any tools to change a tire? Changing a tire is a great and EASY thing to practice before you need to do it for real.

Getting a flat tire happens to everyone sooner or later. Knowing where your tire and tools are, how to operate the jack, and how to switch out tires is very beneficial as there may not be anyone else around or willing to pull over to assist you. If you find yourself pulled over in the dark or in inclement weather, making yourself visible to moving traffic is very important, hence the reflective items and a flashlight to see what you are doing.

Lastly, it wouldn’t hurt to keep a paper that lists important numbers, such as your parents, your insurance company, etc in case your phone dies and you have to call from a different line.

I (Thunder) have been driving for about fifteen years, and as some examples out of the above, I have had to change my tire myself, I have used my ice scraper and many napkins/wipes (especially on roadtrips!), my jumper cables although I don’t feel confident with those, my flashlight, my spare jacket, and even been glad to have an extra tampon in there. However, I have nothing reflective or an extinguisher, so those are items I will be looking into in the future!
morningstar
Archivist

AS Afflatus - Issue 27 - Member Interview

Image x
1.What is something that is completely normal in your country/culture, but foreigners may find strange?
2.If you could only say one more sentence before going mute forever, what would you say and who would you say it to?
3.What’s something you like to treat yourself to after a long, stressful, and exhausting day?
4.What’s the very first thing you do after waking up?
5.What’s something you used to hate, but now love?
6.What’s something you used to love, but now hate?
7. Describe yourself in three words.
8. What's an unpopular opinion that you have?
9. What is your proudest moment?
10. What did you do over the summer?
11. What is something that you learned last month?
12. Looking at both your friends and romantic partners, would you say you have a “type”? What is it?
13.Which websites do you check daily?
14. What’s the youngest age you’ve been mistaken for? Oldest? How do you feel about this?
15.Looking back on your past self, how much would you agree with the opinions you used to have?
morningstar
Archivist

AS Afflatus - Issue 27 - Character Interview & Prompt

Image x
1. What is their favourite household chore? Their least favourite?
2. Would they prefer having one true love forever, or lots of fun and exciting relationships?
3. What kind of drunk are they? A happy drunk? A sad drunk? An angry drunk? An affectionate drunk?
4. Do they have any interests that could be considered "childish"?
5. Do they put more weight in science or in faith?
6. What is the dominant/most common colour in their wardrobe?
7. Do they have any scars? Are they proud of them, or do they try to hide them as much as possible?
8. Do they believe in fate/destiny?
9. What would they dress up as for Halloween?
10. What would they want to be their last meal?
11. What is their definition of a good life?
12. What's one of their small quirks?
13. What kind of handwriting do they have?
14. If they were an animal crossing character, which would they be?
15. If your character was a fruit smoothie, what would it taste like?

x Prompt x
Pick one (1) of the two prompts.

When it rains, it pours

or

You're an immortal. She is a time traveller. Every now and then, you two pop into each other lives.
morningstar
Archivist

AS Afflatus - Issue 27 - Member Corner

Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:33 pm

Image x

Anonymous Unicorn wrote:
What is the recommended way of reporting users (which are mostly spam bots in this case) without any posts but who are breaking the rules due to things written in their profile/sig?

• Hi!

Generally speaking, that's the reason we have Global Mods! Their job is to scour the site to ban such accounts so that the userbase doesn't really need to worry about it. I think it's really cool that people on the site want to help out, and generally the best way to do that if you notice something suspicious it to message a member of staff (such as one of the Global Mods). A lot of the time, however, it's fine just to let it be. Since the staff are all in different time zones, things may go unnoticed for an hour or two whilst people are offline, but it's always going to get sorted. If posts are made, please report them!
Anonymous Unicorn wrote:
Hi staff. I couldn't help but notice that one of the 100 DoS prompts was already featured in a past afflatus: viewtopic.php?f=58&t=38196#p1384436 Was this on purpose? I know that many prompts have been put out for afflatus/ 100 DoS over the years but I had hoped that the prompts would be unique for 100DoS
  • Hi!

With these sorts of issues, honestly it's best to contact a staff member directly to discuss it so we can address it promptly! In this case, there are only so many prompts we can provide for certain themes. More than one idea can be created for the same prompt, so it can be an extra challenge! Sometimes these things go unnoticed, and, again, with such issues, contacting a member of staff is the best way to get it sorted promptly!

Anonymous Unicorn wrote:
The team page link in the afflatus introduction still seems to link to the old team page?
  • Hi!

In response to this, I really want to stress that with a site issue such as this, messaging one of the mods is really the best way to get it sorted! Sometimes the google form doesn't get checked immediately, and things like this can slip through the cracks. In this case, it has been sorted! But, again, the best way to bring staff attention to these issues so that they may be addressed promptly is through a PM!

Do you have ideas as to what you would like to see here? Don't be afraid to share through our google form!
morningstar
Archivist

AS Afflatus - Issue 27 - Featured Writing

Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:33 pm

Image x

x
"I'm not a man" by n0mad
Hidden text.
Jordan had began to lose track of the days, he knew it had only been about three or four but being locked up in this cell has made it seem significantly longer. Him and the others were doing a raid on the underground sex cell that they managed to find, to save and release the woman and kill the men that held them there against their will. Their plan however was not completely fool proof. God, it would literally kill Mack to come up with a half decent plan for once. So there he was, day four of being locked up in the basement of one of these places. Luckily, he had some company. The cell next to him was occupied by a woman named Gabriella, who based off how she described what landed her in there, she wasn't obedient and ended up biting one of her buyers.

It was taking way to long for the boys to come and break him out, their usual routine for when one of them got into shit. This time however he would bet all the money in the world on that they were probably leaving him in there to fuck with him. After all, he did always brag about how bad-ass and untouchable he was so he could understand why they would put him to the test. Well, he would show them alright. Jordan paced his cell back and forth for a good couple of hours, he has had a few days to make sense of their guards rotations and breaks, along with when they would bring Gabriella food. Four days was more then enough, he was gonna preform a prison break, then kick Mack's ass when he finds whatever shit hole they were hiding in right now.

Jordan could tell that night began to fall, sunset began to tear through the barred up window in the cell across from him. Any minute now it was dinner time and the one poor loser who was tasked to bring food down here was in for a surprise. Gabriella, also in on the plan had agreed to play the part he had laid out for her. She was to pretend to be hurt, or sick. It wouldn't work if he did it since he was probably left in there to rot, herself however was worth money to them. Jordan watched from the corner of his cell where he leaned against the bars that separated the two of them from each other, right on cue she clutched her stomach and began to scream just as the man approached her cell. The girl was a pretty good actress, or maybe the man was just fucking stupid. The moment she hit the ground nearest where he could reach, the guy ran in to her aid, dropped her food tray along the way. Once he was within arms reach he stuck his arms through the bars and pulled his victim towards him and snapped his neck in one swift, painless motion. Once his body dropped down next to Gabriella, who's scream was no longer fake, Jordan grabbed the keys off of the mans hip and smiled while he grabbed the knife from her tray off the floor next to the corpse.

During the last few days the two of them got to know each other really well, Jordan learned that there had been a few others in the past who had messed with these people, or had tried to escape only to be killed before reaching the front door. "Be careful - no man that has gone in there has ever come back alive." Gabriella had warned him as he made his way towards the door that led up the stairs to the main floor, spinning the knife between his fingers he turned back to her and winked, "Well, good thing for me that I'm not a man" he said before opening the door. "I'll be back" he called over his shoulder to the majorly confused looking cellmate of his before disappearing into the darkness of the staircase.
city by important
Hidden text.
The smell is the first thing that hits you. Even before you make it past the gates of the city, the putrid air threatens to take you under the Knahaten Flu's grip. The weathered stone walls and pillars that surrounded the city showed the disrepair and age of Orcrest. No sane person would come here on their own will, and everyone who resided in Elsweyr knew to stay the hell away. After Leleea's encounter in Cicatrice and the Anequina Aqueduct, her interest in learning more about the flu that had plagued the land even still, spiked. Iokkas had provided her with a means to delve in these infested places without succumbing to the sickness, so she planned to make the most of it.

Peryite had long sunk his claws into this broken down city. Ash and soot weighed down the air from the flames that licked the skies, the distant screams and cries of the diseased. Every corner turned presented a new group of ravaged townsfolk, daedric monsters, and other creatures that came to leech off of the pain and torment.

Despite all this, perhaps the worst knowledge for Leleea to bear was the fact that there were survivors trapped inside. An angry, desperate group of caravaners who weren't from the Province -- who didn't know any better. The caravaneer being the first of them that she'd met and spoke to, described Orcrest (rather unceremoniously) as "a necromancer's wet dream". Not wanting to enter herself into a line of questioning that could get her killed on the spot, she had offered the group instead a tight (yet very polite) smile and her help.

Being caught in a narrow alleyway, staring down the street and right at a group of things that wouldn't hesitate to rip you open always seemed to humble her. The plague harpy, dancing just a few feet above a tight pack of the diseased, who busied themselves not with her, but the fresh body that they were feasting on. Categorically undead, yet with no sign of who had risen them. The flu itself decimated a body in as little as three days, yet this population of infected has only grown -- meaning that someone, or something, had snaked its way into Orcrest with the intent to raise those who fell victim to the plague. Now, not only did they carry the plague and have the ability to infect any unlucky bastard, they also behaved much like your typical zombie. Newly dead risen, rancid flesh clinging to chipped away bone.

The city may have died a long time ago, but it's putrid heart still beat fervently; Divines be blasphemed if it still did once she walked out of those gates.
Brain Ache by Troubled Dove
Hidden text.
Like a bee, my brain, it buzzes
But it won’t land in a tree
It goes around in circles
However, all thoughts come back to me.

It may not have a long lifespan:
If stunned, if killed, if squished,
But my thought, they always circle
Often much darker than I wished.

And though my brain is humming,
As busy as a bee,
My brain begins to ache
And I can’t hear its plea.

Constantly I am deafened,
By man and by machine.
The one who gives them life,
Who now seems quite obscene.

So on, my brain, it buzzes
And what I do foresee,
A time where green doesn’t exist.
When nothing is left of me.
morningstar
Archivist

AS Afflatus - Issue 27 - Activity Center

Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:34 pm

Image x

x
This month's activity is to write a poem about your favourite canon character! This can be a poem of any length or kind - haiku, rhyme, just be creative!

A maximum of two poems can be submitted, each worth 10 points! Therefore, a maximum total of 20 points can be earned in this activity.

x Have suggestions for future activities? Don't be afraid to share through the google form!
morningstar
Archivist

AS Afflatus - Issue 27 - Anon Compliments

Image x
Anonymous Wyvern wrote:thank you ichor. for being the absolute loveliest <3
Anonymous Kitsune wrote:i think morningstar deserves a compliment because i really liked the way ichor. ran the afflatus but they have come in and the afflatus runs as smooth as ever! thank you morningstar!
Anonymous Unicorn wrote:Ichor, you do amazing work. You’re very welcoming and inclusive, and I think you’re just great. Thank you for everything. Sorry it’s so short...
Anonymous Unicorn wrote:Dearest Kami, thank you for being there for me lately. Being able to talk to you really lifted my spirits and I am so grateful to have you in my life. You are the best potato and just know you are awesome <3
morningstar
Archivist

AS Afflatus - Issue 27 - Reminders & Point System

Image x
Just a couple of reminders for the Afflatus! x
1. Any entry submitted through the Google form is worth 5 points. Things that will be submitted through the Google form are:

xxxxxxxa. Dear Stag submissions
xxxxxxxb. Prompt Suggestions
xxxxxxxc. Featured Works Nominations
xxxxxxxd. Anonymous Compliments
xxxxxxxe. Member Corner Submissions
xxxxxxxf. Question Submissions
xxxxxxxg. Suggestions/Questions for the Afflatus or site

2. Dear Stag can feature anything you want to ask. This can be writing tips, life tips, advice, and so forth. Keep in mind that the Afflatus is posted once a month, so things that need to be answered urgently are not best to submit. Additionally, we are not professionals, so heavy matters should be discussed with a trusted adult. We will do our best to answer each submission every issue, but may have to save other matters for later issues.

3. Dear Stag submissions should be submitted by the end of the second week of the month, so that there is enough time to provide an adequate response to the submission.

4. The Featured Works segment can feature anything from the site. Roleplays, characters, art, personal writing. When submitting a featured work, please include the member's url, the url to the post and post title, and state what it is that is being featured. I will notify users that their work has been featured.

5. When submitting an anonymous compliment, please include username and link to their profile. I notify these users after each issue is posted so that they know they've received a compliment and it makes it easy to track them down in case usernames are changed!

6. When posting submissions to the thread, please make sure the name of the submission is in the title. So, if it's a character interview, please mention that in the title. If it is an activity, please put that in the title. However, it is not a big deal if it is forgotten, though it can clear up any potential confusion.

7. Please post each submission to the thread in separate posts. This makes tallying points much easier.

8. Remember, you can post up to two (2) character interviews/otp quizzes per issue and only one prompt per issue.

9. You are welcome to submit anything to the Member Corner, within reason. Book reviews, recipes, and anything else you can think of. Not everything will be able to used, but will certainly still count for points and saved for future use! The Member Corner will also be used to address any feedback received through the Google form.

10. At the end of the month I will post the following on the thread: "Any posts made after this will not count towards points." I will be trying to stay consistent with this and plan on doing this on the last day of every month by 11:30 PM CST time. Please note that if this doesn't happen for a day (or more) then you can assume it's fair game to submit more things to the thread, since it is likely taking some time to get the next issue out. The Google form, however, will be closed the night before the next issue.
x Points System x Through Google Form

Dear Stag Submission ……………………....................................... 5 points
Featured Works Nomination ………………................................... 5 points
Future Prompt Suggestion ………………...................................... 5 points
Compliment Submission ………………......................................... 5 points
Member Corner Submission ………………................................... 5 points
Character Interview Question Submission (min 5) ……........... 5 points
Member Interview Question Submission (min 5) ……............. 5 points
Feedback Submission ……………….............................................. 5 points

Through Thread

Character Interview/OTP Quiz Submission ………… 10 points
Member Interview Submission ………...................… 10 points

Prompt Submission
0-500 words ………………………. 10 points
500-1000 words ………………….. 20 points
1000-2000+ words ……………….. 30 points

Activity Participation - will vary depending on level of difficulty
x NOTICE x
Keep all responses made through the Google form respectful. There should be no bashing or insulting of staff or anything of the sort. Points will not be awarded for submissions that are too rude to feature publicly in the Afflatus.