AS Afflatus: Issue Twenty-Seven

Where you can find all published issues of the Advanced Scribes Afflatus, our very own newsletter!

Moderator: Admin Aide

important
Global Moderator
House: Halcyon

afflatus activity one: darien gautier

Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:00 pm

• the golden light of dawn,
      drawn forth from scabbard to cast away the gloam.
      a knee to the floor, a hand to the heart.
      champion of the lady of life, forever faithful.
      a sacrifice never forgotten.

please note that i can NOT rhyme to save my life. i free verse everything. also i'm still pissed that he was taken from me not once but TWICE ):
Cas
Global Moderator
House: Sagacitas

interview me so hard daddy

Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:47 pm

1.What is something that is completely normal in your country/culture, but foreigners may find strange? queuing, evidently
2.If you could only say one more sentence before going mute forever, what would you say and who would you say it to? i would save it for something world changing. i like doing protests and speeches so loosing my voice would be a toughie
3.What’s something you like to treat yourself to after a long, stressful, and exhausting day? ice cream!
4.What’s the very first thing you do after waking up? put my glasses on
5.What’s something you used to hate, but now love? my friend, tom!
6.What’s something you used to love, but now hate? my ex-friend!
7. Describe yourself in three words. loyal, intelligent, determined
8. What's an unpopular opinion that you have? children can be slapped
9. What is your proudest moment? getting into a good uni! it's bittersweet bc it wasnt my first choice, but proud bc i made it through school!
10. What did you do over the summer? went interrailing and put on weight
11. What is something that you learned last month? lots of creepy facts
12. Looking at both your friends and romantic partners, would you say you have a “type”? What is it? i'm a slut for loyal people
13.Which websites do you check daily? this one, youtube, uni websites
14. What’s the youngest age you’ve been mistaken for? Oldest? How do you feel about this? youngest abt 16, oldest in my 30s
15.Looking back on your past self, how much would you agree with the opinions you used to have? damn my past self was an idiot, don't listen to her

╔══════════════════════════╗

i'm a nerdy english lit and creative
writing student who is currently
back at uni and studying constantly!

currently: making my way through a
mammoth pile of reading and trying to
get through all the tasks I set myself!

reading: le guin's 'the dispossed'
playing: minecraft, animal crossing (nl)

╚══════════════════════════╝
lil || the harvey to my mike || a safe haven || to learn and grow || but the search goes on || among the stars|| talk anytime
as a global mod, i'm here to help! any questions, any time, send them my way, either by pm, or discord: hippxcrates #6675 !
morningstar
Archivist
House: Vipera

Cas stop being inappropriate in my afflatus | member interview

Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:53 pm

1.What is something that is completely normal in your country/culture, but foreigners may find strange? mr blobby
2.If you could only say one more sentence before going mute forever, what would you say and who would you say it to? 'i love you' to my girlfriend, bc it took me a long time to say it.
3.What’s something you like to treat yourself to after a long, stressful, and exhausting day? hmm... some music and some tetris 99 :)
4.What’s the very first thing you do after waking up? text my gf good morning, usually
5.What’s something you used to hate, but now love? vegetables lol
6.What’s something you used to love, but now hate? my parents
7. Describe yourself in three words. jealous, possessive, somewhat funny
8. What's an unpopular opinion that you have? social justice isn't always the way
9. What is your proudest moment? getting straight A's for A level
10. What did you do over the summer? inter railing and also video games
11. What is something that you learned last month? I'm smarter than I think
12. Looking at both your friends and romantic partners, would you say you have a “type”? What is it? just squishy lovely loyal people. also smart people, all my friends are damn clever - and my gf is the cleverest i know
13.Which websites do you check daily? AS, youtube, reddit
14. What’s the youngest age you’ve been mistaken for? Oldest? How do you feel about this? like 14 and probably 18, no one thinks I'm old lmao
15.Looking back on your past self, how much would you agree with the opinions you used to have? not at all, really. I've changed a lot
Image + harvey + gryffindor + ao3 + character thread + expanding universes +

merrily, merrily shall i live now

i'm always down to talk so message me by PM or let me know if you want my discord :)
Cas
Global Moderator

the poetics of a moron

Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:03 pm

(2) damien

blues and reds echo around the room,
calling for me to come back, but I
am drowning in what is left of myself,
I am shattered. I am lost. I am
a million, million pieces, stitched back together,
made into the monster under your bed.

all that is left now is anger,
anger, resentment and cunning.
what i want is mine,
what i need is control,
what i'll get is his soul,
when i take this channel back.
(1) horatio

You say Hamlet deserves a choir of angels,
but really, that is you.

He doesn't deserve your unwavering loyalty,
Hamlet cares only for himself.

I would drink the poisoned cup for you my lord,
in a heartbeat, I'd join you in hell.

What ho, Horatio, the noblest of men, the only one
I know, who could put up with Hamlet's shit.

I send my love (and pity) to you, wishing,
you could be mine.

Alas, I know, Hamlet is the one who
is entrusted with you heart.

But should you ever come back to Wittenberg,
I'll be there, waiting, with arms wide open.

Horatio, Horatio, Horatio, Horatio,
You're amazing and ILY SO MUCH OK

lil || the harvey to my mike || a safe haven || to learn and grow || but the search goes on || among the stars|| talk anytime
as a global mod, i'm here to help! any questions, any time, send them my way, either by pm, or discord: hippxcrates #6675 !
Cas
Global Moderator

interview Frys harder daddy

Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:15 pm

Frys 270775
1. What is their favourite household chore? Their least favourite? I, um, do not like tidying the TARDIS. Elizabeth, more specifically, does not like me doing it. She says that she likes things "Just so"
2. Would they prefer having one true love forever, or lots of fun and exciting relationships? Well, one true lover, I could only ever love Elizabeth.
3. What kind of drunk are they? A happy drunk? A sad drunk? An angry drunk? An affectionate drunk? I cannot get drunk, as an android! I think I would be happy though, given my analysis of my behavious and intoxicated humans of a similar personality type.
4. Do they have any interests that could be considered "childish"? Some people say my hungry pursuit of knowledge is childish. Or my lack of understanding. I am not sure!
5. Do they put more weight in science or in faith? Science, of course!
6. What is the dominant/most common colour in their wardrobe? Beige and grey.
7. Do they have any scars? Are they proud of them, or do they try to hide them as much as possible? No! I cannot scar!
8. Do they believe in fate/destiny? No, those are scientific improbabilities.
9. What would they dress up as for Halloween? Elizabeth made me dress up as a robot once. She did not seem to understand me when I said that would be pointless, as I am an android. She just called me a killjoy.
10. What would they want to be their last meal? I do not need to eat, so the concept of a last meal makes no sense to me. Huh? Elizabeth? What do you mean you should be my last meal, I cannot eat y- oh!
11. What is their definition of a good life? Travelling with my partners in crime forever!
12. What's one of their small quirks? I have been told I have quite a distinct way of talking, and I also can accidentally give electric shocks from time to time.
13. What kind of handwriting do they have? Quite messy, I must admit.
14. If they were an animal crossing character, which would they be? Animal Crossing! I have heard of this! I think I would be Isabelle!
15. If your character was a fruit smoothie, what would it taste like? Petrol-Flavour?

morningstar
Archivist
House: Vipera

Cas please stop | character interview

Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:32 pm

Image Image 1. What is their favourite household chore? Their least favourite? "I mean, the TARDIS is pretty self regulating, so I don't have to do a lot of chores. I hate dusting, it really makes me sneeze. I do quite like cleaning my guns, but is that a chore?"
2. Would they prefer having one true love forever, or lots of fun and exciting relationships? "I didn't think about that much, but honestly, I just want to stay with Frys forever."
3. What kind of drunk are they? A happy drunk? A sad drunk? An angry drunk? An affectionate drunk?"Is all of the above an answer to that? I don't drink anymore, if I can help it."
4. Do they have any interests that could be considered "childish"? "Not that I can think of."
5. Do they put more weight in science or in faith? "Science; faith never got me anywhere."
6. What is the dominant/most common colour in their wardrobe? "Black, or perhaps khaki. I'm not one for bright colours. Too obvious when you're sneaking around."
7. Do they have any scars? Are they proud of them, or do they try to hide them as much as possible? "Not many scars; my body heals fairly rapidly."
8. Do they believe in fate/destiny? "I'd like to, but honestly, I'm beyond a lot of that."
9. What would they dress up as for Halloween? "Frys and I went as Bonnie and Clyde one year, which, to my surprise, he laughed at."
10. What would they want to be their last meal? "Frys."
11. What is their definition of a good life? "My life now; with Frys and Animine, across the universe. Perhaps a kid in the future, but that's wishful thinking."
12. What's one of their small quirks? "I always make a point to scuff up my shoes. I hate new things!"
13. What kind of handwriting do they have? "Quite scrawly, my Gallifreyan is atrocious. I was told I got that from my father, I believe. My English is okay, but again, the ink always runs away with me and gets blotchy."
14. If they were an animal crossing character, which would they be? "Chief, he's pretty grouchy."
15. If your character was a fruit smoothie, what would it taste like? "This glazed dessert I had as a girl, my father purchased it for me, I think. I can hardly remember. That, and gunpowder."
Image + harvey + gryffindor + ao3 + character thread + expanding universes +

merrily, merrily shall i live now

i'm always down to talk so message me by PM or let me know if you want my discord :)
Cas
Global Moderator

interview Max harder daddy

Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:36 pm

Max Loka
1. What is their favourite household chore? Their least favourite? My favourite would have to be polishing. My least favourite would be washing the dishes, though it does not take long.
2. Would they prefer having one true love forever, or lots of fun and exciting relationships? I would rather have neither. Lovers are inconveniences.
3. What kind of drunk are they? A happy drunk? A sad drunk? An angry drunk? An affectionate drunk? I am a happy, giggling drunk, however much Rutherford may tease me about this. When I am incredibly drunk, I can be very vicious.
4. Do they have any interests that could be considered "childish"? I do not think so. All of my interests are quite... adult.
5. Do they put more weight in science or in faith? Science.
6. What is the dominant/most common colour in their wardrobe? Black and white.
7. Do they have any scars? Are they proud of them, or do they try to hide them as much as possible? A rather ugly one on my left arm. I try not to show it.
8. Do they believe in fate/destiny? No, such a notion is ridiculous.
9. What would they dress up as for Halloween? Rutherford wants me to dress up as a sexy cat girl. Little does he know that was my costume in my first year of university. And I looked good.
10. What would they want to be their last meal? Traditional Italian spaghetti. It makes me think of my early childhood.
11. What is their definition of a good life? Not being caught, practising law, and ending it all before the age of 40.
12. What's one of their small quirks? I am told I 'dance' in a courtroom. It does have a perfect rhythm.
13. What kind of handwriting do they have? Very messy, I get mistaken for a doctor.
14. If they were an animal crossing character, which would they be? That is quite easy. Hopper.
15. If your character was a fruit smoothie, what would it taste like? Cherries and Berries.

breadstick
White Belt
House: Amaranthine

member interview

Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:58 pm

1.What is something that is completely normal in your country/culture, but foreigners may find strange?
━ slapping your knees and saying “right!” is a form of saying “i’ll be off then”. don’t know if it counts for everyone outside the uk, but everyone i speak to outside the uk finds it odd. oh - and beans on toast.
2.If you could only say one more sentence before going mute forever, what would you say and who would you say it to?
━ cliche as all fuck, but i’d tell my partner i love them because yes i’m romantic and hopeless.
3.What’s something you like to treat yourself to after a long, stressful, and exhausting day?
━ aero mint bubbles and a night playing minecraft with my friends and just chilling out. letting myself stay up as long as i want - that could be 10pm or 3am. idk man whatever i feel like that day.
4.What’s the very first thing you do after waking up?
━ if i don’t roll over and go back to sleep, i check my messages. i usually wake up to someone sending me a meme or some plot points alexus or roleplay responses, so that’s usually my first port of call.
5.What’s something you used to hate, but now love?
━ anime, lmao. specifically, jojo’s bizarre adventure. i tried watching the first season way back but it never clicked with me, but because my partner loved it i bought them the part three manga. out of curiosity i read it with them, and lo and behold, it’s now my favourite thing. anime is awful at the best of times, in many different ways, but i think it’s just something i’ve attached myself to and i just can’t stop now.
6.What’s something you used to love, but now hate?
━ god i sound like a really edgy teenager but my fuckin dad. that’s the only thing i can think of for this question and i’m not going to elaborate but things change and he isn’t the person i once tried to convince myself he was.
7. Describe yourself in three words.
━ dumbass gay nerd.
8. What's an unpopular opinion that you have?
━ i really don’t think it’s fair to judge kids for doing what they want to do, regardless of whether it’s ‘cringy’ or not. just ... let kids be kids, we all have starting points in life, yknow? of course, if it’s offensive / derogatory / damaging in any way, then there’s an issue - but cringy drawings, animation memes, etc? just let it be dude.
9. What is your proudest moment?
━ when i came out as trans. i’ll say now that it’s not really the act of doing it or the moments that followed, but the fact that i even did it - and now, i have become the person i looked up to, the person people come to for help, the person people discovering themselves come to. looking back and where i am now and where i was two years ago, it genuinely warms my heart, and sometimes, i’m even proud of myself.
10. What did you do over the summer?
━ met up with a bunch of friends, worked as a florist in high season (and will be returning next year) and roleplayed a hell of a lot. i got back into writing, too, which was nice, given that it’s been a very long time since i actually felt this passionate about writing or my characters.
11. What is something that you learned last month?
━ i learned a lot about dissociative identity disorder, due to two of my friends telling me in the space of a month that they have this. since then i have spoken to a couple of each of their alters, learned a lot about how it works and learned how to support them and their alters. it means a lot when those people front and actually choose to talk to me, and i have become close to some of them as a result. it’s been difficult to understand given that i had no prior exposure to any information about it, but i do my best to educate myself and i hope i have managed to help them all better as a result.
12. Looking at both your friends and romantic partners, would you say you have a “type”? What is it?
━ i don’t think i do, if I’m honest. just ... personality wise, people who joke around a lot and have a silly ass sense of humour.
13.Which websites do you check daily?
━ chickensmoothie, advanced scribes, twitter and instagram.
14. What’s the youngest age you’ve been mistaken for? Oldest? How do you feel about this?
━ the youngest i have been mistaken for in the past year has been about twelve or thirteen - the oldest i guess seventeen or eighteen, even though i am eighteen. being trans means that when i pass, i pass as a young boy, aha. while it is a little ... degrading, at times, if i am passing as male, i can’t complain, genuinely.
15.Looking back on your past self, how much would you agree with the opinions you used to have?
━ depends how far we go back, but essentially, no. i don’t really remember my opinions or anything from when i was younger but i can safely assume, due to my grandparents and mothers views, that i wasn’t raised to be the most open minded. now i feel like im definitely more understanding of hard to grasp concepts and, provided it’s not harming anyone, i will likely accept it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
caligo
Black Belt

Re: AS Afflatus: Issue Twenty-Seven

Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:34 pm

What is something that is completely normal in your country/culture, but foreigners may find strange?
people down here are generally very affectionate and welcoming, so when someone new comes in, we'll quickly treat them as a friend. That and the physical affection like the kisses on the cheek when we greet someone, can make people confused. I myself have to be mindful and ask whether they are ok with it or not when someone comes from a different country. Besides, we can be pretty loud and excitable. still, we are fun. I promise. Oh yeah, the mate is a drink most people consider weird since we share it in a circle and most people tend to think it looks like weed.

If you could only say one more sentence before going mute forever, what would you say and who would you say it to?
I don't know, I'd have to go with something people would remember forever. Probably say my I love yous and such but try to extend the sentence as much as i can to maybe try to sneak a important message in and maybe a few jokes.

What’s something you like to treat yourself to after a long, stressful, and exhausting day?
Music, spending time with my pets, talking to some friends, maybe an episode of that 70's show or queer eye. though now that i finished the latter, i gotta wait for more. if i don't have to get up early for uni, i'll stay up as much as i can doing all of these things.

What’s the very first thing you do after waking up?
check my phone!

What’s something you used to hate, but now love?
Bittersweet food ! When I was a kid I would never eat anything that would taste bittersweet. Now I would do so gladly.

What’s something you used to love, but now hate?
Anime? I mean I don't hate it, I still have a soft spot for a few old shows. But when I was several years younger I was super into it and now I'm not sure why anymore really. Also k-pop. Again, wouldn't call it hate but a good majority of the bands I used to listen to within that genre don't have an appeal to me anymore. Newer groups don't either. Maybe a few songs and old school groups still do it.

Describe yourself in three words.
cheerful, ambitious, affectionate.

What's an unpopular opinion that you have?
PINEAPPLE PIZZA IS THE BEST !!

What is your proudest moment?
when I finally started to feel more comfortable with myself, recently. And probably a few years back when after spending months trying to recover from surgery, I looked at myself and noticed how much progress I had made.

What did you do over the summer?
met some of the most amazing people, had tons of fun with them, wrote quite a bit too, tried some new things, read a lot too.

What is something that you learned last month?
Last month? Learned a lot about a lot of things due to reading. Learned a lot about myself, too.

Looking at both your friends and romantic partners, would you say you have a “type”? What is it?
I seem to like the artistic kind of people. Maybe because I'm that way myself, met a lot of people that share my interests lately. Romantically it seems to be the same, though in general I'm drawn to people with whom I can discuss just about anything. I like to have long, deep talks where we can go from the most profound topic to the most pointless one and still feel comfortable. I have a huge number of questions inside of me. besides, i like to see what other people are thinking. humor is also important.

Which websites do you check daily?
instagram, discord, tumblr

What’s the youngest age you’ve been mistaken for? Oldest? How do you feel about this?
16, probably. don't mind it much, i'm used to it. I'm undoubtedly a baby face.

Looking back on your past self, how much would you agree with the opinions you used to have?

nah, changed a lot in little time. mostly during the past six or seven months.
Spiritstar3
Bronze Belt
Location: Did the CCG catch me? No, I'm with my precious tiger baby, and Muratas bein a creeper in the corner.

AS Afflatus 27 Prompt

Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:28 am

You're an immortal. She is a time traveller. Every now and then, you two pop into each other lives.

(AU version of people from a Werewolf 1x1)

Leila sighed as she glanced around again, staring up at tall buildings and shining glass. The last time she’d been here was the eighties, and before that was the fifties. Before that had been the twenties. Yes, she was long lived, an immortal... She hummed as she marveled at the differences throughout the years, as she always did. She hoped Dominic, a man she’d met years ago, like five or so, was doing alright with his Lander. She hoped the family that employed Lander was doing alright. She even hoped Mark, Van, and their adopted daughter Seline were good. She hadn’t seen Mark and Van after they left the company...Mark had randomly called her up though, completely out of the blue one day, probably by Van’s prompting. She now knew they had Seline, were living on a family farm, they had some sheep, some barn cats, a goat, a horse named Baker, and a dog named Sunrise. She always smiled at the thought of them and their daughter, running with the dog or one riding the horse while the others looked on.

Shaking her head, she focused on her surroundings and hummed quietly. She didn’t even realize she was smiling until a voice spoke, startling her...It said “You’re smiling.” and she whipped her head to see a familiar face. This was Sonya Terres, a gorgeous golden brown haired woman with caramel eyes and a voice always dripping with sweetness, whether she was actually being sweet or not. Leila, with her own deep brown hair and nice, yet sometimes biting, voice, grinned at the shorter woman. “Hey there, Sonya.” she said happily to the time traveler, happy to see her again. Sonya nodded to her, saying “Fancy meeting you here.” They both laughed, shaking their heads at the same time. Sonya giggled at this, humming quietly to herself. Leila smiled then dipped her head.

“So, come here for anything interesting?” she asked Sonya. Sonya tilted her head a moment, then shook it. “Not really...but I’m lucky I came across you here.” the golden brown haired woman said. She giggled again, smiling sweetly at Leila. Leila took a breath, shaking her head at herself. She too laughed, saying “Lucky indeed, lucky indeed.” Sonya huffed, blushing a bit and shaking her head. Leila held out a hand, smiling when Sonya took it. They began to walk, looking up at the tall buildings then at the roads and sidewalks. Leila hummed, leading Sonya across the sidewalks and to a park.

Yes, Leila was an immortal, and yes Sonya was a time traveler. Every now and then, they’d pop into each other’s lives, and were quite happy whenever. Sonya was the light of Leila’s life. Leila was the one thing that grounded Sonya, always kept her going. They loved one another, a lot. They’d never give that up, no matter how many lifetimes came and went. For now, they enjoyed their time, walking in the park and looking at flowers and birds.

(497 words)
Last edited by Spiritstar3 on Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:43 am, edited 6 times in total.