AS Afflatus: Issue Twenty-Seven

Where you can find all published issues of the Advanced Scribes Afflatus, our very own newsletter!

Moderator: Admin Aide

newt.
Green Belt
House: Halcyon

member interview

Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:03 am

• 1.What is something that is completely normal in your country/culture, but foreigners may find strange?
    deep fried mars bars, probably. or the big deal that is hogmany. or haggis.
    2.If you could only say one more sentence before going mute forever, what would you say and who would you say it to?
    pretty sappy, but probably some sort of i love you to my friends and family. i mean, i guess at the end of the day it's not like it's the last time i'll see them and be able to communicate with them but it'd still be a nice final spoken statement.
    3.What’s something you like to treat yourself to after a long, stressful, and exhausting day?
    youtube videos, music, chatting with friends, making myself a hot chocolate. lately it's been a lot of plotting and character development stuff that i've been chilling with because it's always something i enjoy!
    4.What’s the very first thing you do after waking up?
    snooze my alarm and go back to sleep. usually check my phone, closely followed by trying to work out what i have on during the day.
    5.What’s something you used to hate, but now love?
    i'm not sure whether i really hated it since i hadn't watched it, but i guess stranger things?? more that i hated the hype around it and the fact that it was e v e r y w h e r e, plus every single person i spoke to being like "oh my god you haven't seen it??" (which just made me want to not watch it even more out of spite). i finally watched it recently and honestly it's one of my favourite shows now with no regrets. also dancing, bc i was garbage at it and very self conscious when i went to classes as a child, but it turns out i just had to find the right style for me! (still hella self conscious about it all but i'm working on that :')) ).
    6.What’s something you used to love, but now hate?
    i'm a big fan of the gaming side of youtube (i still am) but there are several people i used to watch a lot and really enjoyed their stuff, but now i cannot stand them at all. i actively avoid their stuff, and even if they end up in a video with someone else i'll still back right out of that.
    7. Describe yourself in three words.
    enthusiastic, committed, anxious.
    8. What's an unpopular opinion that you have?
    mint chocolate flavoured things are disgusting.
    9. What is your proudest moment?
    lately? when i finally made the decision to drop out of the course i'd been doing and found myself hating. i spent so long stressing myself out to the point of being ill about having to get through to the end of it and then being stuck doing something i had no passion or drive for, terrified that if i told anyone else that i wanted to stop they wouldn't support me or understand, that when i finally made that decision to turn things around it was such a relief. and now i'm much happier where i am.
    10. What did you do over the summer?
    overall, not as much as i probably should have to be honest. i did some writing, tried to work on come programming stuff in preparation for classes starting back, met up with friends a few times. quite a lot of smaller things here and there.
    11. What is something that you learned last month?
    that no matter how long it is between seeing them/talking to them happens, real friendship will last and still be there if you've found the right people.
    12. Looking at both your friends and romantic partners, would you say you have a “type”? What is it?
    having not had any romantic partners, this is more based off of friends i guess?? even then, thinking about it, i wouldn't really say i have a particular type honestly?? just people i feel like i can (mostly) be myself around, and people i feel comfortable joking around and having a laugh with.
    13.Which websites do you check daily?
    discord, tumblr, youtube, as.
    14. What’s the youngest age you’ve been mistaken for? Oldest? How do you feel about this?
    recently i think 16/17 was the youngest, which i find really funny especially when i'm with my younger brother who people assume is older if they don't know us. i don't think i've ever been mistaken as older, but either way i just find it funny.
    15.Looking back on your past self, how much would you agree with the opinions you used to have?
    maybe agree on a few odd things but mostly not. a lot has changed.
Aporia
White Belt

AS Afflatus Issue 27 [member interview]

Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:20 am

1.What is something that is completely normal in your country/culture, but foreigners may find strange?
    it's always hard to think of things when it comes to this cos i don't know it's weird until foreigners tell me lol but i've seen meat pies not being as popular. us kiwis love meat pies (mince & cheese is a prized classic). also just, any strange slang we use aha.
    2.If you could only say one more sentence before going mute forever, what would you say and who would you say it to?
    'thank you so much for being my friend no matter what, i love you' to my best friend.
    3.What’s something you like to treat yourself to after a long, stressful, and exhausting day?
    just collapsing on my bed, sometimes a nap, and just letting myself unwind with youtube and lately AS aha.
    4.What’s the very first thing you do after waking up?
    get out of bed. well, i try to. and then it's time to get dressed for the day aha.
    5.What’s something you used to hate, but now love?
    mushrooms and pumpkin lol. hated them as a kid but i was missing out. i'm a bit less of a picky eater now and it's great (ok i'm still kind of picky, but not as bad i swear).
    6.What’s something you used to love, but now hate?
    the video game dbh/detroit: become human. i was obsessed with it for months and then soon after dumped it entirely.
    7. Describe yourself in three words.
    friendly. determined. nervous.
    8. What's an unpopular opinion that you have?
    idk i don't keep up on if my opinions are popular or not. so -shrug-
    9. What is your proudest moment?
    well, getting my new job which i started today! been unemployed for months and it sucked and i'm finally getting out of that now and into a full time situation and i'm so proud of myself for how i've been doing
    10. What did you do over the summer?
    lol i live in new zealand so i've just had my winter. but i did go on holiday to rarotonga which was fun.
    11. What is something that you learned last month?
    how fun it is to just, take a moment and really relax. never let myself just shut off so much from the world before, while on holiday, and it was better than i thought it would be.
    12. Looking at both your friends and romantic partners, would you say you have a “type”? What is it?
    no romantic partners but my friends are just vocally open and honest people with me, and we tend to have similar opinions and taste in things which is always a bonus.
    13.Which websites do you check daily?
    advanced scribes, twitter, discord, youtube
    14. What’s the youngest age you’ve been mistaken for? Oldest? How do you feel about this?
    i've never been mistaken for being older than i actually am, because i am smol. rip. but yeah i've had people think i was in high school while at uni so. idk specific ages tho but age range lol.
    15.Looking back on your past self, how much would you agree with the opinions you used to have?
    i don't agree with a lot of the things i thought back then. i was pretty nice still, but i've grown and changed a lot and i know how to handle things better than i did for sure.
Last edited by Aporia on Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gamora
Black Belt

Member Interview

Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:29 pm

• 1.What is something that is completely normal in your country/culture, but foreigners may find strange? apparently ketchup chips are only in canada so I guess that's something? they sound gross, but they are delicious.
      2.If you could only say one more sentence before going mute forever, what would you say and who would you say it to? debating between telling zoe saldana how much she means to me and thanking her and gathering my whole family and telling them how much I love them. if I saw it all in one big long sentence I could probably do both haha.
      3.What’s something you like to treat yourself to after a long, stressful, and exhausting day? alone time. after dealing with people all day, I just like to lay down and be alone.
      4.What’s the very first thing you do after waking up? feed the cats. they are far too annoying for me to be able to do anything else before.
      5.What’s something you used to hate, but now love? mushrooms. I used to hate them and now I can't get enough of them. cooked only though, the raw ones are nasty (plus my naked cat smells like raw mushrooms so xD)
      6.What’s something you used to love, but now hate? emily, my piece of shit ex lol.
      7. Describe yourself in three words. sad gay mood
      8. What's an unpopular opinion that you have? dunno if its unpopular, but if you vote in an election for a homophobic party but have lgbt friends and claim to be an "ally". you aren't a fucking ally. you are an asshole. and stay the fuck out of my life if you want to vote for someone that wants all the gays banned or dead.
      9. What is your proudest moment? when my boss told me "you have surpassed all of our expectations". I almost cried lol.
      10. What did you do over the summer? I don't really get a summer like most people since i'm a working an adult, but I wrote A LOT this summer. probably the most I ever have. julien and I have so many rps, plus 100 days of summer. I also watched nysm 1 & 2 like five times each probably rip. thanks juli.
      11. What is something that you learned last month? I guess I can say I learned a lot about service dogs since i'm in the middle of the process. also learned the hard way that I have to budget better.
      12. Looking at both your friends and romantic partners, would you say you have a “type”? What is it? for friends, just don't be an asshole. as in romantic partners, I don't think I really have a "type" (except tall dark haired ladies - oof) but I mean like...dominate me in bed I guess xD
      13.Which websites do you check daily? AS, instagram, facebook
      14. What’s the youngest age you’ve been mistaken for? Oldest? How do you feel about this? I think the youngest is like twelve, but that was awhile ago, and the oldest was like twenty five.
      15.Looking back on your past self, how much would you agree with the opinions you used to have? pretty similar I guess. my opinion don't change much unless I have a valid reason/proof to change them. i'm pretty consistent
    • ── IT'S JUST SOME]XXX
      XXXXUNSPOKEN THING

┌────────────────────┐
      i'm just your average marvel nerd & starmora
      enthusiast. only here for roleplays & character
      development. please don't pm me at this time.
      julienuhhh100 days of summerstorage

└────────────────────┘

breadstick
White Belt
House: Amaranthine

character inverview #1: sebastian

Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:21 pm

• SEBASTIAN TEMPLE
    ━ a former filthy pirate, storyteller extraordinaire, who fell from his once revered position as a pirate in favour of a merman named kai.
    ━ absolutely stunning art of sebastian drawn by my best friend jem - all credit of that goes to her, please check out her work and support her!

1. What is their favourite household chore? Their least favourite?
    ━ sebastian doesn’t really like doing any chores, if he’s quite honest, but he knows if he doesn’t do them, nobody will. daniel’s too worried about school, and seb’s merman boyfriend, kai, doesn’t give a shit about human customs. so, essentially, he loathes them all, but has to do them.
    2. Would they prefer having one true love forever, or lots of fun and exciting relationships?
    ━ if you were to ask him a few years prior, he would have absolutely said no relationships, only one night stands and one off relationships. he hated anything related to commitment that wasn’t to his crew. when kai stumbled along (literally), he was probably the person least likely to take to him - but lo and behold, he likes to think that one true love forever is enough for the both of them. he had his fun in his youth - as did kai - but since they settled down, it’s impossible to think of being without one another. that, and the fact that they’re soulmates. sebastian originally rejected the concept entirely with disdain, but since then has stopped fighting against it when he realised he genuinely developed feelings for this dumbass merman who has risked his life for him too many times to count.
    3. What kind of drunk are they? A happy drunk? A sad drunk? An angry drunk? An affectionate drunk?
    ━ sebastian’s an aggressive, say-whatever’s-on-his-mind drunk. he has no filter, says whatever comes to mind, and doesn’t think before he throws punches. really, it’s a wonder he isn’t dead yet, considering how he acts in public places when drunk - and he usually does things he regrets sincerely in the morning. regardless, he’s fun tipsy, but when he becomes blindly drunk, there’s no telling which direction the night will go in. he needs a plus one. kai’s usually that plus one. ...usually.
    4. Do they have any interests that could be considered "childish"?
    ━ not at all. sebastian was essentially forced to grow up at an earlier age than most, and thus he’s long since abandoned any sense of childish interests or habits.
    5. Do they put more weight in science or in faith?
    ━ typically, he revolts against any sort of predetermination and just does whatever the fuck he deems right - but it would definitely be science, if he had to choose. concrete questions, concrete answers, just as he like it. definitely an atheist, if nothing else.
    6. What is the dominant/most common colour in their wardrobe?
    ━ dulled down colours, such as black, beige or grey. i like to think that he does have a few colourful clothes in there too, but he generally doesn’t like drawing attention to himself, so dull is the way to go for him. daniel’s probably tried to get him to wear brighter hoodies and sweaters and shirts before, but he probably doesn’t wear them unless he slings it on at random.
    7. Do they have any scars? Are they proud of them, or do they try to hide them as much as possible?
    ━ absolutely he has scars, and lots of them - each and every one has a story, and he used to be proud of every single one. as a pirate, he was ruthless and reckless, and would never hide those scars - but after being caught and tortured by and an enemy crew after he left piracy behind, its an entirely different story. aside from simple slashes and wounds from fights, he now has taunting words carved into his back, one such being “traitor” - there as a permanent reminder of what his former crewmates would think of him if they knew where he was today. he hides them by any means necessary, now, even from kai. as much as he used to pride himself in them, see them as a symbol of how much he had endured and how much he could endure, he now sees them as a symbol of how his ways would be treated with disdain if he were to still be with his crew. having said that, he does begin to develop another outlook on them, and while not proud of them, he does come to see them as nor necessarily a negative thing, but comes to view them as proof that if he and kai could get through that - alive - they can do anything. that, at least, has shifted his outlook to a more positive light.
    8. Do they believe in fate/destiny?
    ━ in his past, absolutely not; he rejected the entire concept of fate and soulmates and destiny in any capacity. however, his view changes ever so slightly to accommodate the idea that maybe soulmates are a thing (or at least, he stops actively resisting against it) and
    9. What would they dress up as for Halloween?
    ━ i can go two ways with this - he would either dress up as a pirate (which, he sitll has all his pirating gear, weapons and clothes, so he likely would be able to pull that one off as a breeze) or a bat - mainly an inside joke and a reference to another au we made, in which sebastian is a vampire and a human kai consistently pisses him off by calling him ‘batman’ - so while i doubt he would dress up as batman, he would absolutely go for the bat. he doesn't really dress up
    10. What would they want to be their last meal?
    ━ seb isn’t really big on food and the like, but something he really likes is any sort of takeaway, but it’s hard to say which one. it might even just be something normal like a sandwich, honestly.
    11. What is their definition of a good life?
    ━ a while back, it might have been to be revered and feared as a pirate, but now its more he wants to live a peaceful life with little disturbances with his boyfriend and his housemate. it’s simple and terribly cliche, but he wants a life about as far from the one he had before.
    12. What's one of their small quirks?
    ━ sebastian smirks all the fuckin time. he doesn't stop. he's a cocky little bastard and even when hes not confident he will smirk his way out of that bitch.
    13. What kind of handwriting do they have?
    ━ messy. scrawls. barely legible. he learned to write when he was young, and never wrote a thing after the age of fourteen aside from the odd word. so ... it’s bad. think ... like this.
    14. If they were an animal crossing character, which would they be?
    ━ i took a test on his behalf and he got sable able - which from the description is pretty damn accurate.
    15. If your character was a fruit smoothie, what would it taste like?
    ━ pineapple, probably. i don't know, i'm winging that one.
breadstick
White Belt
House: Amaranthine

character interview #2: riley

Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:03 pm

• RILEY FLYNN
    ━ just your average merman posing as a human on land, becoming a coffee shop barista and falling in love with a vampiric radio host named dash. yeah, just your average merman.

1. What is their favourite household chore? Their least favourite?
    ━ riley is a coffee shop barista and an absolute master of drinks in general. despite being a merman forced to live in a space intended purely for humans, he's got the hang of that really easily. that would have to be his favourite - making drinks for himself and his boyfriend, if that even counts as a chore. his least favourite would have to be something related to cleaning, or even just generally human customs that aren't related to drinks or cooking. he loathes human customs and usually leaves it all for his boyfriend, dash, to do.
    2. Would they prefer having one true love forever, or lots of fun and exciting relationships?
    ━ riley is definitely one for one true love forever. he isn't one for jumping about from person to person and generally becomes hung up over one person very quickly, hence why he falls for dash so quickly. he finds a comfort in feeling as though he and one person will become a constant in one anothers lives, knowing that no matter what happens to them the other person will always be by their side. it's terribly idealistic, and yet he can't say it has let him down yet.
    3. What kind of drunk are they? A happy drunk? A sad drunk? An angry drunk? An affectionate drunk?
    ━ in this au, at least, riley's just a fun person to be around. his emotions are basically multiplied by ten, meaning he's for the most part generally happy and forward, but he can just as easily become incredibly agitated and angry.
    ━ riley just really fucking loves flowers, honestly. i dont know if that's childish, but he does have a fascination with a lot of human things that could be considered oddly childish to the outside observer, but it's just an odd fascination with anything to do with humans. he's sort of had to develop an interest in that after being forced to live on land, so he could learn everything possibly to do with humans and integrate well into their cultures.
    ━ i like to think riley's someone to put more weight in his faith, keeping up with the merfolk traditions despite his people being near destroyed. he wants to keep the beliefs alive, even if his peers are now, and thus chooses to believe in something anyway. nonetheless, he's a more supersitious person anyway, so it makes sense to him to put more faith in things that are subjective rather than objective facts provided by science. what's the point, otherwise, in life, if there aren't things to wonder?
    ━ it's hard to determine, but riley battles between his natural attraction to bright colours and wanting to fit in with the crowd. thus, he wears a mixture of the two, with bright patterns often backdropped by darker colours. it's a nice balance, and he doesn't mind darker clothes, but he would prefer to wear more brightly coloured clothes.
    7. Do they have any scars? Are they proud of them, or do they try to hide them as much as possible?
    ━ riley definitely has scars, and he is absolutely ashamed of them. he didn't care much for them before his city fell, and merfolk were all but wiped out from existence. the scars he retains from those are mainly on his legs (which therefore translates to his tail), as well as on his chest and back. he tries as much as he can to cover them up, but in close proximity, people are sure to notice that he does not wear shorts.
    ━ absolutely, although it becomes difficult to keep that up when his home is destroyed. he does believe in it, though, considering there were some merpeople who escaped and thus began a life, scattered away from one another, among humans, as a strategy to survive. surely, if it was simply down to nature, it would be more or less determined they would all die on that day - but for some reason, there are still merfolk alive, for some purpose, even if they do not know what it is.
    ━ ... nothing? riley, again, as much as he wishes to fit in with humans, does not see the point in most human customs, and halloween is one of thosehe would absolutely refuse to take part in. maybe dash would attempt to convince him to participate one day, and in which case, he would say 'fuck it' to the whole thing and go in his normal clothes.
    ━ some dish he used to have back at his merfolk city - something with fish in, something that reminds him of his home and tells him that not everything has gone just yet.
    ━ once upon a time, it might've been to serve his kingdom as best he could and be satisfied with the people around him, but he knows, now, that isn't possible. instead, he wished to live out his short life with as little detection from humans as possible, to never encounter pirates again. no such luck, sorry buddy.
    ━ he never lets dash make the drinks. he always has to make them - he knows how he likes them and how dash likes them, and his boyfriend would only complain if he made it himself and didn't like it. it's best to let him do it - he might become genuinely angered and agitated if not.
    ━ for convenience's sake, i'll say that merfolk were taught to write in their city, but i can see him having pretty cursive writing - something somewhat legible but not the clearest ever seen.
    ━ i took the quiz on his behalf, and it gave him pelly! that absolutely makes sense, too, all bar the extroversion.
    ━ i somehow see blueberries. a berry smoothie, of some sort?
important
Global Moderator

member questionnaire activity

Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:41 pm

• 1. what is something that is completely normal in your country/culture, but foreigners may find strange? hm ?? i wouldn't really know. emily tells me that everything i do / my country does is weird. but i think she's weird. they say fucking. brollies. or whatever. makes me very mad. i want to scream. i do NOT like that. don't call them that ): idk. i wouldn't know! i'll ask someone. just asked like. a bunch of people. got bombarded with "is it really like this" and yes, yes it is.
      2. if you could only say one more sentence before going mute forever, what would you say and who would you say it to? i want to tell emily i love her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      3. what’s something you like to treat yourself to after a long, stressful, and exhausting day? cold water!!!! and being alone!!!! and sleeping!!! and a warm shower!
      4. what’s the very first thing you do after waking up? i make emily's lunch for work!!!!!! well. the first thing i do is put on my glasses. but!!!! after that!!!!!!
      5. what’s something you used to hate, but now love? uhhh.. in terms of what? i used to hate a lotta foods but i love 'em now. uhh. i used to hate a lotta things. idk if i could name 'em!
      6. what’s something you used to love, but now hate? at first i was confused like hey!!! i answered this. then realised! i'm stupid!!!! that's all.
      7. describe yourself in three words. can't! idk how to! can't describe myself. lemme ask. "creative, loyal, precious" is what i got and ig i'll die mad about it
      8. what's an unpopular opinion that you have? idk?? i wouldn't know if my opinions are unpopular. if you think they're unpopular you're... probably not a good person. most of my viewpoints are like. hey! everyone deserves to be treated like a human being. and if you don't agree with that then you're fucked, man.
      9. what is your proudest moment? i don't know tbh. i don't get proud of myself! (:
      10. what did you do over the summer? jack shit babey!!!!!!!!!!!
      11. what is something that you learned last month? JACK SHIT BABEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      12. looking at both your friends and romantic partners, would you say you have a “type”? what is it? i don't have a type!!! anyone that's nice to me. i'm a sucker for nice people :D
      13. which websites do you check daily? AS! that's it. discord, but that doesn't count does it?
      14. what’s the youngest age you’ve been mistaken for? oldest? how do you feel about this? well! idk. i don't get carded when i buy alcohol if that's what you're asking.
      15. looking back on your past self, how much would you agree with the opinions you used to have? listen...... my past self was in a position where he had to literally fight for his life day in and day out. he did what he had to do to survive and i think i did pretty okay in the end. i'm not gonna put past me under the microscope due to the circumstances i was in.
newt.
Green Belt

character interview // syldrin

Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:09 am

• 1. What is their favourite household chore? Their least favourite?
    tidying in general, or similar jobs that freshen the place up. whenever she's feeling down or trapped she's always found that simply tidying up any mess can lighten the atmosphere an incredible amount and make a much bigger difference than most people seem to realise. as for her least favourite, probably cleaning kitchens in any more depth than wiping down counters and the like. it just takes a lot of time and effort that she doesn't have the patience for.
    syldrin has always been more in love with what she does and the people she does it with rather than being out seeking relationships, but she wouldn't object to jumping around a few exciting relationships. eventually she'd likely want to find the one for her, but she has plenty of time to get round to that.
    syldrin is a rather silly drunk, she's already a generally bubbly person naturally so when any sense of logic disappears with the drink she has a tendency to be on the giggly side and a lot less on guard than she'd be otherwise. she also gets even more physically affectionate than she'd usually be around certain people, temporarily forgetting that not everyone is a fan of such displays.
    she likes to pick flowers and make them into flower crowns - particularly if she happens to be outside and needs something to keep her hands busy. it started as somewhat of a joke the first time she made one, but she finds something calming about the process of weaving the flowers together and it's become something that she can do without having to think about it by this point.
    both to some degree - or whichever suits her best to believe in depending on the context. if she had to pick one, however, most likely faith. science can explain a lot of things, but what the fae can do is not one of them. despite not being raised around their people for most of her life, syl still has a lot of faith in them and their traditions, and everything that they are capable of.
    she likes to wear a lot of pale and bright colours for the most part when she's more relaxed and isn't on a job of any sorts, but those aren't necessarily so great for the sort of work they're often out doing so she does have a lot of darker options (mainly brown, navy, and black) to wear for 'work'. really she has a bit of everything, so there isn't a specific dominant colour.
    enough that she's lost count, mostly small, insignificant, and largely unnoticeable ones for the most part - many of them she doesn't even remember getting by this point. she's not proud of them exactly, but she has been known to ensure some of the more visible are on display when meeting or negotiating with certain individuals, ensuring that they're aware that she's capable of more than they're already likely afraid of.
    syl is a firm believer that people choose their own path and make their own way through life. or more specifically, that the only person with control over her future is herself, with no higher-power or predetermined path dictating where she's eventually going to end up.
    something creepy or spooky for sure. maybe a ghost? or a zombie? she'd definitely jump at the chance to dress up for the fun of it, especially if others in the gang were also joining in on the fun - in which case she'd potentially end up coordinating her outfit with them just to add to the enjoyment of it.
    some sort of fruit. any fruit, really. she's a big fan of strawberries especially, when she can get her hands on them, because they remind her of when she was younger and when life was simpler. not that she dislikes the way things are now, but sometimes it's nice to have that throwback to previous years.
    honestly, doing what she's been doing with herself for the last several years. she has the freedom to do what she likes, surrounded by people she cares for. what more could she want? she's always just wanted to be able to be in charge of her own life and not end up stuck somewhere with someone constantly telling her what to do (van tries to tell her on occasion, and sometimes she listens, but that doesn't count because she can choose to ignore him if she wants).
    she always ties her hair back when she needs to think. she's not sure when she started doing it, or why she feels like it helps clear her mind and think more clearly, but without fail if she's trying to concentrate or come up with a plan she'll be pulling it back from her face into a ponytail if it isn't already in one.
    her handwriting has a nice flow and elegance to it at the moment - over the years it's changed and evolved as she has, herself, but it's been settled like this for several years know and she likes the way it looks.
    taking a quiz on her behalf for this one because animal crossing characters are not my specialty, she got phoebe as a result which seems decently accurate! there might be one she's more like but this one doesn't seem a million miles off.
    strawberries maybe? berries in general? some sort of red/pink combination seems like it'd suit her.
Last edited by newt. on Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
newt.
Green Belt

character interview // avery vexx

Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:10 am

• 1. What is their favourite household chore? Their least favourite?
    avery is perhaps one of the few people who actually enjoys going shopping for supplies and other things that are needed. he likes the chance to get out to the shops and markets, seeing what's around and what new things there might be to try out. given the mess he can tend to make when he's working most cleaning stuff and the likes don't bother him too much, but he isn't a big fan of dusting since overall it seems like the second he's got it all cleared away it starts to build up again.
    relationships aren't exactly something he's had a lot of time for over the last few years, since being part of the group doesn't exactly put him in a life best suited to that sort of thing, but at the end of the day he'd much rather find that one person and have them forever rather than jumping between different people - no matter how fun or exciting they may be.
    he doesn't drink very much, preferring to keep at least a fraction of his wits about him, so on the occasions where he does have a few drinks, avery tends to be a pretty relaxed, happy drunk. keeping an eye on everyone and dealing with the somewhat frequent injuries can get to be on the stressful side so drinks tend to bring out more of his upbeat side and eliminate some of that stress that's usually always lurking.
    a tendency to collect and hoard small, seemingly useless objects that he comes across and deems interesting - he's not entirely sure why he decides to hold onto them, but justifies it with the excuse that maybe they'll come in useful for a potion or spell in some fashion eventually. he'd not be too upset about leaving them behind or losing them though, he just likes to have them because he can!
    it's a confusing bit of both, in his world where technology and magic both exist alongside each other (sometimes combined, if you speak to the right people). being a witch, there's a decent amount of faith to be had in what he's able to do. but having specialised in potions and the like, he does have a pretty decent basis in science as he knows that to some extent that plays a part in what he does.
    he wears a lot of autumn colours, all yellows, browns, oranges and such, as well as greys too. basically he wears a lot of mostly neutral colours for the most part, although he's been known to lean towards having brighter splashes thrown in there from time to time.
    a fair few of them that he's collected over the years since he joined the twins - it was inevitable really. they don't bother him one way or another, he wouldn't say he's proud of them but he doesn't actively try to hide them unless it's called for on a particular occasion. they're reminders of mistakes he's made or things he's survived, which sometimes he needs.
    to some extent, yes. he believes that everyone will eventually find the path they're supposed to be on, even if it takes them a while to be there. but he also likes to think that a person's actions and decisions play a large part of deciding what their future is going to be, and that can't be set out for them already.
    most likely something simple that wouldn't require much effort to do. he doesn't dislike the premise of dressing up for halloween (and he'd up his game if his friends wanted him in on something in particular) but he keeps himself busy enough with other things that he'd rather devote more focus to, so dressing up wouldn't necessarily be super high up his priority list.
    macaroni cheese, the way his mum would make it when he was younger. it's always been one of his favourite meals and reminds him of his family who he doesn't see so often nowadays, but there's a sense of comfort that accompanies with it even when he makes it himself that he enjoys.
    one where he can help people and be happy - two things he has been since joining the twins. avery wants to do something good with himself and bring even a small semblance of joy to the people around him if he can. being able to do that, in his mind, would be a life he'd be happy with.
    he is almost incapable of sitting still. he just always has to be moving, even if it's only a small amount, so generally he'll be found fidgeting with whatever is in his hands, pacing around, drumming his fingers on nearby surfaces - there's this energy that he has to let out somehow.
    surprisingly neat for a scrawl. he writes a lot of notes on spells and potions, and the various other things he works on and very quickly realised that frequently needing to decode his own handwriting was a lot more hassle than he wanted to deal with. it's not perfectly neat and some people might consider it untidy, but it's a lot better than it used to be.
    again according to a quiz, he'd be deirdre which seems like a pretty good guess based on the description it gave!
    orange/pineapple?? he'd be some combination of bright "cheerful" fruits easily!
Last edited by newt. on Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
angelofwarfare
Red Belt
House: Vipera

member interview

Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:18 am

1.)What is something that is completely normal in your country/culture, but foreigners may find strange?:
probably the hard-work ethic. you basically work for your keep. no hand-me-out's and no begging. no giving up.
2.)If you could only say one more sentence before going mute forever, what would you say and who would you say it to?:
'I will love you always' to my family.
3.)What’s something you like to treat yourself to after a long, stressful, and exhausting day?:
raw cookie dough or ice cream. also, watch a show, light a candle, read, play a game, or whatever else makes me happy.
4.)What’s the very first thing you do after waking up?:
I have to take a medication because my hormones are out of whack.
5.)What’s something you used to hate, but now love?:
waking up early. you get a lot more done throughout the day. 
6.)What’s something you used to love, but now hate?:
social media and trends. I don't pay attention to it anymore. I could care less who got married/divorced, how this certain item is the latest fashion staple, how this person stopped by starbucks today to try the new frappe and took a picture of it, etc.
7.) Describe yourself in three words. hard-working. creative. kind.
8.) What's an unpopular opinion that you have?:
vaccinate your crotch goblins. a lot of these diseases are coming back, because they do not vaccinate. it does more good than harm. 
9.) What is your proudest moment?:
recently with being hired on. it's the equivalent of flipping the bird to those that didn't think I was capable of getting this far.
10.) What did you do over the summer?:
oh boy. well, I have officially finished my final college class. I actually have to speak to my advisor to get my diploma soon. I also had a major career change, and got hired at the first and only place I picked. I graduated from a school they sent me to, and yeah....a lot.
11.) What is something that you learned last month?:
where do you want for me to start? haha. a lot of work-related information.
12.)Looking at both your friends and romantic partners, would you say you have a “type”? What is it?:
for friends, just don't be a dickhead. I get along with everyone fairly well. never really had issues with friends.  for romantic partners, I love humor. that has to be there. I also like someone that is communicative, and simply will just talk. if they have a problem or issue about something, I want to be the first person for them to turn to in order to talk about it. I prefer someone with common interests, goals, etc. I don't like laziness. I get that some days, we want to do absolutely nothing. if it seems like it is a regular occurrence of keeping dishes stacked in the sink and having laundry piling up, then that is a 'no' for me.
13.)Which websites do you check daily?:
discord, reddit, and sometimes advanced scribes. I also check my e-mails.
14.) What’s the youngest age you’ve been mistaken for? Oldest? How do you feel about this?:
I still get carded for cough syrup (you have to be eighteen years of age to purchase it) so.....yeah. people guess around eighteen to twenty-three years of age.never been mistakened to be older. 
15.)Looking back on your past self, how much would you agree with the opinions you used to have?:
I'd say not much has been changed since then.I have always been said to be mature for my age. always saved my money instead of blowing it off, always been respectful to superiors or older people, always been hard-working, etc. 

angelofwarfare
Red Belt
House: Vipera

afflatus prompt

Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:19 am

"you're an immortal. she is a time traveler. every now and then, you two pop into each other lives."
(1,294 w.)
Hidden text.

"You must hurry. We are running out of time.", were the chosen words which were woven with the concern of the precious seconds that were wasting away. Time. You would think that a woman that could bend the wills of time and space would have enough time in the world to face any challenge that has obstructed her pathway. A khaki canvas bag that has seen better days with various keychains and patches strewn on it lies beside her polished boots that are planted firmly onto the cool stone of the flooring. Everything that she could ever need was packed into the duffel bag. It was all the belongings that she has brought to the refuge. It was time for her departure. In the back of her mind, she knew that this day would come. In the very beginning, she has longed for this day to occur much more quickly. After all, she has been thrusted into an unknown world with people that she originally does not know the names to. They had all been guardians. They possessed the incredible prowess to wield the light in its malleable forms. Except, they have been different. They have been greater than the guardians that she has seen amidst the earth and its neighboring planets. She has seen it for herself. There was more to them that broke them away from their temporal chains. It was indescribable. A raw and unnatural power that surges through each and every member to the refuge. They have severed their ties that they had with the tower. They had proven themselves worthy to another by living underneath the harshest of conditions. They thrived out here, as if they have spat at the reaper himself. The close-knit community and a sense of belonging has altered her mindset of the desire to leave whenever the first opportunity has risen.  

The mindset has changed with the introduction of the man that was known as Xyander. The years seemed to have not touched him, as did many that has been given such ethereal graces. The individuals that shares this refuge with him seemed to have looked up to him, as if they have aspired to share his likeness someday. That someday, they could possess such fine leadership qualities and the thrum of power that radiates from off of his form. He did not gloat about the position of leadership. He had been down-to-earth. Even if she had been a stranger, he had welcomed her with open arms. He did not have to pay her a second worth of his attention. He could have turned an eye away from her. After all, her stay was short. Each and every one of them knew this. They knew why she was here, and the oddity that she was in comparison to them. For, she was in the company of a wish dragon. Her training resides here until her mind was strong enough to bear the hefty load of a presence to a greater being. He treated her as an equal. He kept an eye on her to ensure that she had everything that she could have possibly needed. She had warmed up to him and the others that has called this solitary place home. The days dwindled. They have slipped past her slender fingers without even knowing. Before she knew it, today was the day. It was time to say good-bye. Never has she faced such great difficulty. On her lap, was a single sheet of stationary paper with the borders of the vibrant colored flowers that she adored from the wilds of the earth. The tip of her ink pen lightly presses against the sheet of paper, but she draws a blank when it comes down to what to write. Her hazel eyes stare at the paper, as if the words would soon reveal themselves. A glossy veil of tears that dared to come blur a portion of her vision. It felt as if something has lodged in her throat that has forbade her to speak in return for those few short seconds. Instead of phrasing the acknowledgement to her artificial intelligence companion, she simply nods her head once in an understanding.

This good-bye was...different. Her heart aches. Those tears threaten to spill. Her light breaths of air expel shakily. The delicate hand that holds the pen trembles momentarily, before she forces it to become still. She must write. She does not have the time to approach him about this, nor does she have the bravery to will herself to do it. Instead, she relies on the paper in front of her. A light amount of pressure is applied, before the words she speaks faintly are also inscribed into the sheet of stationary paper."Dear Xyander...", the huntress whispers his name lowly on her soft lips."I am afraid that this is good-bye. I must leave to attend to my duties. I wish that I could have stayed here with you and the others here at the refuge, even if it was only for a little longer.Though, my calling summons me back to the earth and a sacred place known as the dreaming city. I wish that things were different. That we could have met underneath different circumstances. Alas, life has its cruelties. I have accepted such fates the moment that I have taken my first breath.", she continues with neat strokes of her pen to produce cursive handwriting.

"Thank you for all that you have done for me. Trust me when I say this, that you are someone that will not be forgotten. You are an excellent leader. You shall lead your people to greatness. Never change. I think that from out of all of the things that I am going to miss from the refuge, I am going to miss the bear hugs that you would give to me. From the bottom of my heart, I hope and pray that someday our paths will converge once more. It would be the one and only thing that I would ask from the fates.", she speaks lowly to herself as her own breath wobbles as the letter comes close to its conclusion. "I am going to miss you, Xyander Kaltian. Farewell for now. Love, Nadia.", she finalizes before she folds the paper neatly and sets it off to the side of the bed.Beside the letter, had been a metallic rose that she has created in the spare pockets of time that she had. Her hazel eyes linger on the letter and the rose, only for her heart to race and thump in her chest just as the door creaks open. Her throat closes up, but she wants to speak his name. The huntress jolts from off the bed to stand to her full height, and just as the door swings fully open, he is gone. Her whole scenery changes to the biting cold of a cavern with crystalline structures that produce a soft illuminance. He was gone. Just like that. They could not even spare her the chance to see him one last time. A choked cry racks through her with the beads of tears rolling down her freckled cheeks. The huntress sinks to her knees with her gloved hands flying to cover her face. Her knees collapse besides the canvas bag that she has packed, and she could not will the tears to stop coming. This...this was her curse. A slave to time and space with a life that was greatly shortened, and a man that was touched with immortality that has painted color in a world that she could only see grayscale hues. For every timeline that she has witnessed, it has only ended in tragedy.

****xyander belongs to ham***