Yo homie

A place where new members must introduce themselves before being able to participate on the full forum.
archaeopteryx.
White Belt
House: Unsorted

Yo homie

Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:11 am

• Yo, homies and homies!

I'm Station, local desert-dwelling gremlin, and rn my interest lies mainly with Archeopteryx hence the un. It snowed today and I'm still really freaked out about it. It never snows here.

Most of the type I write sci-fi/supernatural stuff, mainly because I have a set of characters I've been developing for years now and I refuse to put them down- Namely, aliens, time cops, and folk who don't know anything, are my muse type, but I'm always down for more!

I do work full time during the week and just got out of 12-hour shift hell, so I should have more time to exist. I've been doing 12's for a solid two months man it's not cool.

I usually spend my time playing games (ARK or Splatoon lately), and listening to music. My favs are Glass Animals and Foster The People. The entire ZABA album from Glass Animals is a bop, so is How to be a Human Being.

I hope all goes smooth here yo!
cammie
White Belt

Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:26 am

• howdy and welcome to as!!
        ngl twelve hour shifts sound like??? hell?? i can't even handle an eight hour shift without having five mental breakdowns
        hhhh your writing style sounds amazing i'm
        honestly i listen to podcasts with that exact aesthetic 24/7 and i love it. i'll definetely have to check out some of your writing & it sounds amazing
        but!! anyways!! welcome to as and i hope you enjoy your time on here
archaeopteryx.
White Belt

Re: Yo homie

Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:38 am

• Aaahhh thank you so much! Most of it is just, I started developing stuff to try and write a different thing, but when that crashed I just ended building more and more on em. My favourite is an alien named Cualaac, who works with the time police as a sort of diplomat, but honestly just hates them and only stays for the perks. He sure knows how to act like he's friendly though.

Oh yes it was hell indeed. I work in a manufacturing plant and we have a year end goal for each department. Basically one department mucked something up SUPER badly- like, so badly that it caused them to miss their goal by a longshot. It was so bad that they had to call every other department for help for two months to try and fix it, and despite everything, they still missed it by a huge margin.

That department has maybe like, 40 people in it, two lines of huge machines, a separate room entirely, and it's own manager. I don't know the specifics on what happened but a bunch of stuff broke (despite a few of their members telling them how to prevent it), they used replacements they shouldn't have used (which broke it more), found out how broken it was in like, early November, and then dragged their feet on it until the CEO came out and screamed at em.

My department consists of me and my boss (me). I'm the only person in my department and unlike what this group of 40+ people did, I knocked out my goal in what like, October? Specifically so I didn't have to deal with the year end shuffle.
thunderofthebun
Administrator
House: Halcyon

Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:37 am

Wtf do you do that you are your own department?! My department is tiny and there are still 4 of us when fully staffed (though we reslly need 5).
ATTENTION:

Please go take the survey about the Afflatus so that we can better design it for 2019 - even if you don't typically read it! Tell us what would get you to start.

Also make sure you are ALWAYS up to date on announcements!
archaeopteryx.
White Belt

Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:50 am

• It's genuinely one of those things where there SHOULD be at least three people, but it's cheaper to just have one fossil bird just running around doing everything.

I make circuitboards! My usual method is:
    Squeeze in enough time with the production machine to get all the tiny pieces on it
    Put them in my testing machine to make sure they work. They have an 80% chance of just failing for no reason.
    For the ones that do work, do some finishing touches and clean em up a little.
    For the ones that don't work, scrap em. Best part is that I could just go ham on em.
    Pack as many into a box as a humanly can, slap a fedex label on it, and send it off.

The best parts here are that, for the machines, they're usually SWARMED by that 40-person department, so getting in there to get step one done is hard as hell. Usually I'll try and get the production machine to give me a week or two's worth of work to do.

Then for the testing, as said they usually just fail. There's no real way to tell which ones are and aren't going to, and it's more because the test is so strict and even a marginal fail is still a fail. For a lot of it too, you can't fix it, since the board is super sensitive. The machine also needs to be babysat, so usually I'll be running the test machine for the majority of the day and then do all the finishing touches/scrap/boxing towards the end, since those things take less time.

It would be a TON easier if we had a guy babysitting the test machine, a guy doing the touch up, a guy doing the scrap. Those two at least can use the gaps in between touch up/scrap time to pack things or steal the machine for a while.
thunderofthebun
Administrator
House: Halcyon

Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:30 am

That’s weird. I’ve never heard of just one person - how does that produce enough in the end? You’d think that wouldn’t be enough to keep up with demand, but I suppose depending on the size of the place and what the main focus is, it could work? Very different. My brother works at a small place doing the packaging (they work with semi conductor sort of bits so packaging really matters for cleanliness and such) so who knows.
ATTENTION:

Please go take the survey about the Afflatus so that we can better design it for 2019 - even if you don't typically read it! Tell us what would get you to start.

Also make sure you are ALWAYS up to date on announcements!
archaeopteryx.
White Belt

Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:57 am

• Honestly, I have no idea. I try to ask my bosses, but they tell me that the goal is both the passes AND fails, so its about how many go through the tester and get processed.