Amaranthine Common Room

Home of the security seekers.

What other house threads do you wanna see?

Games
30%
Art thread
10%
Prompt thread (has already been discussed but doing an interest check)
50%
Writing/Critique
No votes
Positivity
10%
Other (Please post what!)
No votes

Total votes: 10
♚ Ren
Yellow Belt
House: Amaranthine

Re: Amaranthine Common Room

Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:11 pm

I got my ex into reading American Gods claiming it was a fantastic book even though I'd never read it before. Fortunately she still liked it. XD

Lately I've been reading a book called Eona. It's about a girl who is masquerading as a boy so that she can learn how to be a warrior and draw magic from the dragon gods. It's pretty interesting so far.
original sin
Black Belt

Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:25 am

• Ive read the Eona books and they’re honestly So Good.

Unfortunately I haven’t had time to read for fun lately. I’ve mostly been spending time with my partner and getting schoolwork done.
Deeplight
Orange Belt

Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:39 pm

Savannah-the-Caracal
Black Belt

Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:47 pm

@books - I've been reading Wings of Fire rather obsessively lately, as well as Hunger Games, and I'm working on listening to the Ender's Game series. I just finished the first one and it was realllly good. Way better than the movie.

@trailer - O.O *adds it to watch as soon as it comes out list* That looks amazing!

Also welcome any new/returning people that I missed, I've been working on writing 5k for a fic of mine for a massive crossover chapter, and I'm only a little over 2k xP help
♚ Ren
Yellow Belt

Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:59 am

.... -cracks knuckles.-

That trailer is a fucking abomination.

1. They're trying to be 'politically correct' again by screwing with people's races.
2. They made starfire look like a goddamn hooker.
3. They had robin KILL someone. When the whole point of robin and batman is that they don't kill people and he just flat out murdered people.
4. The whole thing just looks really edgy, I think I cut my eyeballs watching it. It looks like a contest on how 'dark' they can make it rather than forming a brotherhood between the characters.
5. The CGI effects look juvenile.
6. It looks more like a horror movie than a superhero movie.
7. Apparently Star'fire' means that she needs to have power over fire or something lol.
8. WHERE THE F IS CYBORG?
AlmightyTallest
Black Belt

Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:03 am

@Deeplight and @cerise Outlander is amazing. I'm not usually the type to like books about time travel, I like historical fiction and I like fantasy and gods and monsters and all that fun stuff. But Outlander takes historical fiction and time travel and puts it together so beautifully.

One of the main characters, Claire, was a nurse in WW2, who while on her honeymoon in Scotland after the war, steps through a crack in a standing stone at one of the many stone circles that scatter Scotland. A fairy hill, or something. She gets transported back in time 200 years, to the 18th century, right before the Scottish rishing of 1745. She meets up with a group of Highlanders, gets tied up in the drama of the Clans, and is forced to marry James Alexander Malcolm MacKenzie Fraser, or Jaime, and ends up falling in love with him. Together, they try to stop Charles Stuart from rising an army for the rebellion, because Claire tells Jaime how that rising will end.

I'm trying not to give away too much, but it's a relatively historically accurate story. They eventually get separated, but meet again 20 years after that final battle, and end up going to to the tropics (Indies, I think?) for a very brief time (but trouble follows these guys like crazy), then to the American Colonies, right before the Revolution.

There's also a TV series based on it on Starz. It's called Outlander, I watched it before reading the books and it made picturing the characters and reading their accents better, but that's just my opinion there. The books are very long, 1000+ pages, but worth the read! And the mass produced paperback copies are only about $9.99, which is even better since most books these days are so expensive!

The characters are so wonderfully written. Jaime is simply fantastic, beautiful, and perfect in every way. Just the right amount of flaws to make him a realistic character. Claire is great too.
Lord John Grey is adorable and entertaining, and keeps getting mixed in with the chaos that follows the Frasers. He's also gay, which at that time was a very dangerous thing to admit, so while he does keep it hidden, he also makes some jokes about it too, to those who know.

Fergus is one of my favorites, he's French and snarky, a bit cocky, and also so incredibly adorable all at the same time. He reminds me a bit of a French Peter Pan, but one who grew up a little more.

Roger and Brianna are really growing on me a lot, now that they're bigger characters.
Deeplight
Orange Belt

Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:17 am

rennigann wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:59 am
.... -cracks knuckles.-

That trailer is a fucking abomination.

1. They're trying to be 'politically correct' again by screwing with people's races.
2. They made starfire look like a goddamn hooker.
3. They had robin KILL someone. When the whole point of robin and batman is that they don't kill people and he just flat out murdered people.
4. The whole thing just looks really edgy, I think I cut my eyeballs watching it. It looks like a contest on how 'dark' they can make it rather than forming a brotherhood between the characters.
5. The CGI effects look juvenile.
6. It looks more like a horror movie than a superhero movie.
7. Apparently Star'fire' means that she needs to have power over fire or something lol.
8. WHERE THE F IS CYBORG?
  • LOL I got serious Inhumans vibe from the trailer tbh

Something just feels off about it, and it reminds me of this vid I watched about how DC just miss the characterization of most of the heroes by a long shot. Like the best example is Superman. He's supposed to be a legit stand up guy that grew up as a human and wants to protect humanity because he has the power to do so. But they turned him into this guy with a god-complex whose only link to humanity is lois lane and it's like nooooo

Brenton Thwaites looks hot tho 👀

So the thing is I want to give it a chance, but then like everything I'm seeing so far just makes me go like... why are you doing this...

So we have the Teen Titans that I think most of know and love,

And in the show..

Looks on point.

Wait what's going on, it's like Archie with green hair

... still going to try to give it a chance

erm... well there are people saying her style will change a few episodes in, so fingers crossed cause I love starfire so much oml

also the vfx isn't in yet, so... maybe they should've done that during the trailer lmao

All in all, this is a textbook example of how not to do a trailer

@ShadowSinger

holy shit SOLD
    I'm going to see if I can watch an episode today
    I also want to check out this korean drama called Let's Eat lmao
♚ Ren
Yellow Belt

Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:18 pm

Well, if this will cheer you up: speaking of the old Teen Titans that we know and love there's rumors of a new season of that coming out. x3 At the end of the 'Teen Titans Go: To the Movies' film that came out recently we have this beauty:

Also I have....completely given up on prompts. T_T I got to 49 and let me tell you it was hell. I've been sick for the last two weeks, first with the flu, then ear infection, then what the doctors panicked about thinking it was bacterial meningitis but turned out it wasn't so they had no idea wtf it was, then back to flu symptoms...I went two weeks while sick keeping up with prompts and by the time I finally felt better I was like 'fuck it' and quit. XD I'll at least make it to the 50 marker, and maybe some prompts here and there but otherwise my muse is toast.
AlmightyTallest
Black Belt

Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:21 pm

Any mature Voltron fans out there? I just finished season 7 and want to rant/discuss it. And by mature, I mean you aren't going to cry and complain because your favorite theory didn't come true and are up for a civil discussion about the beauty of the season, because I thought it was really a pretty good season.
♚ Ren
Yellow Belt

Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:25 am

Please rant with me I have beef with that show right now.