AS Afflatus: Issue Eight

Where you can find all published issues of the Advanced Scribes Afflatus, our very own newsletter!

Did you read the ‘Reminders & Point System’ post on page 2?

Yes
94%
No
6%

Total votes: 33

ichor.
Archivist
House: Halcyon Keeper

AS Afflatus: Issue Eight

Post by ichor. » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:17 am

Image x
If you are a new reader of the Afflatus, welcome! This magazine is meant to be interactive with our members, meaning submissions, suggestions, and nominations are encouraged! For each contribution to the Afflatus, points will be awarded to the house! Through this magazine, we aim to provide tips and inspiration as well as updates regarding the site. To make a submission, you can do so by using this form or even posting directly to the thread.

Submissions that are meant to be shown for the next issues are: Dear Stag, Featured Writing, & Anonymous Compliments/Critique.

Afflatus Contents: Title Post, Updates, Dear Stag, Writing & Life Tips, Character Interview & Prompt, Member Corner, Featured Writing, Adventure Story, Activity Center and Anonymous Compliments and Critique.

Current Staff/Team Members: Thunderofthedrum, Night Fury, Commander Shepherd, Blacksteel Alchemist, Ichor., DeerInYourHeadlights, Eccedentesiast, Kami, Blue, Meraki, Snow, and Horizon. Here is our team page.

ichor.
Archivist

AS Afflatus - Issue 8 - Updates

Post by ichor. » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:18 am

Image xx
These are just abbreviated notes; for full information including discussions, polls, links, and details, please see the February announcement!

FAQ / General Site Help: We will soon be posting a FAQ thread where people can get their questions answered by Attendants!

Roleplay Rules: Friendly reminder than posts should be 200 words per character, and that this applies to 1x1, group, and explicit roleplays!

Ads for Explicit Roleplays: Just like for regular 1x1s, we now have a search thread in the explicit area dedicated to seeking roleplays of that nature.

Explicit Roleplay Area: As this area continues to grow, please note that the way to get access is to PM the Admin Aide to be put on the request list. You will need to have your full age in your profile for us to verify as for legal reasons we do have to ensure that you are over 18. Once on the list, the Admin or Admin Aide will verify your age and at that point, either add you to the hidden forum or let you know that you'll need to wait until old enough.

Social Media: The accounts are just getting started and may not have much on them, but we are very excited to share with you the new Twitter and Tumblr for Advanced Scribes!

Revamping Rules: With the addition of the FAQ thread, the Welcome and Rules thread will be undergoing another overhaul to streamline and simplify its content. Input welcome!!

Staff Changes: The role of Creativity Mod is back!

Next Contest: We would love to get some feedback on some aspects of the next contest, and invite you to share your thoughts with us.

Afflatus Point System Has been updated! More information about the points will be posted later on in
the issue.

ichor.
Archivist

AS Afflatus - Issue 8 - Dear Stag

Post by ichor. » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:19 am

Image xx
Anonymous Kitsune wrote:Dear Stag,
The world is a really crazy place right now and all the turmoil is really stressful for a lot of us younger folks. Sometimes it seems like it's impossible that things will get any better. I guess I'm just looking for advice on how to reduce that stress and maybe what are ways to motivate my peers to do something about all the chaos. Nothing will get better if no one tries, right?

Dear Anonymous Kitsune,

Stress is definitely a hard thing to deal with at times, especially if you're not certain on how to handle it. A great way to deal with stress is to remove yourself from whatever it is that is causing it - whether it be a person, place, or situation. Taking a breather is not a bad thing at all. Take time for yourself. Go take a walk, read a book, cuddle a pet, chat with friends, get out of the house. Take a brief nap. Another thing to keep in mind is to make sure you keep your time budgeted - especially if you're stressed due to all the things you may have to do. Don't wait until the last minute to do something. As for motivating your peers to do something about the chaotic world we live in, don't fret too much. We all live in a chaotic world. Things are constantly changing. Life is a rollercoaster. There will be ups and there will be downs.

- The Stag

Anonymous Unicorn wrote:Dear Stag,
Loss is something we've all experienced lately and many may struggle with overcoming it. What are some ways to cope and push past something like this while also keeping what was lost in our thoughts?

Dear Anonymous Unicorn,

Loss is something that everyone will experience over time. It is simply a fact of life. However, I read something that an old man wrote on a Reddit thread and found it to be very helpful in describing loss.

Alright, here goes. I'm old. What that means is that I've survived (so far) and a lot of people I've known and loved did not. I've lost friends, best friends, acquaintances, co-workers, grandparents, mom, relatives, teachers, mentors, students, neighbors, and a host of other folks. I have no children, and I can't image the pain it must be to lose a child. But here's my two cents.

I wish I could say you get used to people dying. I never did. I don't want to. It tears a hole through me whenever somebody I love dies, no matter the circumstances. But I don't want it to "not matter". I don't want it to be something that just passes. My scars are a testament to the love and the relationship that I had for and with that person. And if the scar is deep, so was the love. So be it. Scars are a testament to life. Scars are a testament that I can love deeply and live deeply and be cut, or even gouged, and that I can heal and continue to live and continue to love. And the scar tissue is stronger than the original flesh ever was. Scars are a testament to life. Scars are only ugly to people who can't see.

As for grief, you'll find it comes in waves. When the ship is first wrecked, you're drowning, with wreckage all around you. Everything floating around you reminds you of the beauty and the magnificence of the ship that was, and is no more. and all you can do is float. You find some piece of the wreckage and you hang on for a while. Maybe it's some physical thing. Maybe it's a person who is also floating. For a while, all you can do is float. Stay alive.

In the beginning, the waves are 100 feet tall and crash over you without mercy. They come 10 seconds apart and don't even give you time to catch your breath. All you can do is hang on and float. After a while. maybe weeks, maybe months, you'll find the waves are still 100 feet tall, but they come further apart. When they come, they still crash all over you and wipe you out. But in between, you can breathe, you can function. You never know what's going to trigger the grief. it might be a song, a picture, a street intersection, the smell of a cup of coffee. It can be just about anything...and the wave comes crashing. But in between waves, there is life.

Somewhere down the line, and it's different for everybody, you find that the waves are only 80 feet tall. Or 50 feet tall. And while they still come, they come further apart. You can see them coming. An anniversary, a birthday or Christmas, or landing at O'Hare. You can see it coming, for the most part, and prepare yourself. And when it washes over you, you know that somehow you will, again, come out the other side. Soaking wet, sputtering, still hanging on to some tiny piece of the wreckage, but you'll come out.

Take it from an old guy. The waves never stop coming, and somehow you don't really want them to. But you learn that you'll survive them. And other waves will come. And you'll survive them too. If you're lucky, you'll have lots of scars from lots of loves. And lots of shipwrecks.

- The Stag

Anonymous Wyvern wrote:Hey Stag,
What are some good inspirations to get motivated for writing?

Dear Anonymous Wyvern,

There are a variety of ways for you to be able to get motivated for writing. Some favorites include: music, character interviews and development sheets, and using Tumblr for searching up prompts. Another option is to have someone to talk to about writing, as it gives you the opportunity to bounce ideas back and forth. A similar option is to plan out ideas with your partner, as this is a good way to help one another if either of you find that you are losing interest. It could also be helpful to read a book or watch a movie, as it could give you a few ideas. If you need more ideas, or a further in-depth explanation, feel free to visit the Writing Tips segment for the January edition!

- The Stag

Anonymous Unicorn wrote:Dear Stag,
Tips for saving money?

Dear Anonymous Unicorn,

Due to the answer being so long, we decided to go in depth about this in the Life Tips segment of the issue! You can go here to read more on money saving tips!

- The Stag

Anonymous Kitsune wrote:Dear Stag,
It's been a difficult time regarding studies/education for some of us. Do you have any tips on how to deal with the constant feeling of failure, a.k.a. not being good enough when you put everything into achieving something and you still fail in the end?

Dear Anonymous Kitsune,

Failure is definitely hard to come to terms with, but it is important to remember that the only true failure is found in giving up. If you’ve been struggling with your studies despite putting in loads of effort, it may be your approach to it that isn’t working. Life is all about trial and error, nobody is perfect, so if you find that something isn’t working for you, don’t give up, find another way to go about it. Everyone is absolutely brilliant in their own way, so thinking you’re not good enough/considering this failure shouldn’t be your mindset. The best advice to be given on this matter is to simply keep trying, but try differently. Perhaps this time around try a new method of note-taking or studying. Spend less or more time on certain areas that prove a struggle. Give your mind a rest in between so you are not continuously fried! Most importantly, find what is going to truly work for you. The fact that you’ve asked for advice at all is proof you haven’t yet failed, so bounce back in the mindset of such and keep on working towards what needs to be achieved.

- The Stag

Have something you want to submit to The Stag? You can do so here.

ichor.
Archivist

AS Afflatus - Issue 8 - Writing Tips

Post by ichor. » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:19 am

Image xx

This month's theme is Writing Inspirations
Writing about tiny details that many seem to find trivial can be a challenging task. And while it doesn’t necessarily help with character development, it’s a great way to up the word count on a bad day with lower muse or just make sure that your partner(s) is as into the story as you are. I most often use it for the former reason if the roleplay got a bit boring. Describing such details as the scenery isn’t for everyone and that’s alright. Not everyone notices such things and can write about them, but I wouldn’t say that it’s a talent. Anyone can learn to write things like these, but I believe that one can make it as easy for them as possible and I’m here to try and give some tips on how to get that sweet sweet word count up and help make your story even more real (let’s be honest, writing about trees and clouds is fun!).

1. Music
Whenever I write a longer post or something that I know will give me trouble (multiple characters, a scene I’m iffy with, etc.), I make sure to put on a good playlist. There are many of compilations meant specifically for concentration on writing, but you can also find something that fits your scene - forest sounds, rainfall, nature-themed songs, etc. For me personally, game soundtracks always seem to do the trick (f.e. Lineage II, TESV: Skyrim, Alice: Madness Returns, etc.) And even if it doesn’t help immediately, it might give you ideas where you want your scene to go; who knows, maybe you won’t even need to describe the tiny details and will get straight to the action?

2. References
Okay, writing about clouds or anything else nature-related is difficult when you don’t have an image in your head. Is the sea blue or green when the sun rises? Are sunset clouds orange or purple? How do a tiger’s shoulders move when it stalks its prey? I mean, you could write something amazing without having references, but if you’re having a tougher time using your creativity, then it’s time to hit Google and find something beautiful (Tumblr is a good place to search, trust me on this). Pair some nice pictures with some nice music and you’re on your way to a great post!

3. Comfort
If a post is giving me trouble and I can’t write anything while sitting on my throne (a.k.a. my chair on wheels that’s covered in a black plush cover), I will get my ass onto the bed. If I want to write while kneeling over with my butt up in the air, I will do just that. If I want to write upside down, I will do that and give birth to a great post that will make all of my partners cry. And if you find creativity to come by easier in such positions, go ahead and twist your body like you’re a snake! Get some hot tea/coffee/cocoa and get a blanket, curl up in your chair or do whatever.

4. Plotting
If nothing up above helps, grab your partner by the ear and start plotting. Most of the time, a roleplay can stop either because neither side knows what to do next or just because it’s boring (the latter is always the worst). It’s time to contact your partner and get them to plot together with you; most of the time, getting new information or imagining what to do next helps me fill the post up with setting a new scene. Oh, you moved from a field to a forest? It’s time to write about every single tree and get the nickname “Tree Lover” glued to your nickname on the forums.

I can’t really give any “tips” on how to describe the tiny details like scenery, animals or nature. Everyone has a different writing style and everyone can find these tips either helpful or completely useless and that’s perfectly fine with me. As a writer, I love describing trivial things that are meant mostly to me in order to keep track of what I write and where the action is happening; for all I know, the reader can just be groaning all of the time due to my love for describing clouds or how something makes the character feel. Practice makes everything perfect and there’s no better way to learn how to write better, longer posts than to practice every single day (or whenever your schedule allows you to).

After all, as one of my idols in the world of writing, Stephen King, has said: “If you want to be a writer, you must do two things above all others: read a lot and write a lot.” And I think that it’s the best advice that I can give you.

ichor.
Archivist

AS Afflatus - Issue 8 - Life Tips

Post by ichor. » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:20 am

xx
This month's issue will focus on Saving Money. If you have any additional questions, don't hesitate to PM Thunder!
x
1. Income. Do you have any sort of job to earn money? If not, do what you can to get one. Can’t drive? Get the NextDoor app and offer yourself locally to neighbors for things like dogwalking, yardwork, and babysitting! Show
that you are eager to help others in order to earn money.

2. Set aside. If you do get some sort of money, whether from allowance, school grants, a job, etc, it’s important to save some. If you are able, save a solid third if you don’t really have many expenses!

3. Learn the flow. It’s important to know not only what is ‘incoming’, but also what is ‘outgoing’. Do you pay for your own cell phone? Do you have auto insurance? Student loans? Do you need to reserve money for gas to get to school? Brainstorm and make a list of all of your expenses, or track them by writing each expense down for a week or more.

4. Identify‘wants’ versus ‘needs’. Gas to get to work, groceries, rent, dog food, and a phone are all examples of ‘needs’. Going out to eat, movies, cable, Netflix, getting your car detailed, popping into the convenience store, new clothes, a cute new matching collar and leash for your pet - typically all ‘wants’.

5. Out of sight, out of mind. If you have been feeling that your money burns a hole in your pocket, put it away. Don’t carry it with you. If you use your debit card too much, move the money to a side account. Using your credit card too much? Don’t bring it, or tuck it deep in a zippered pocket so that it takes more effort to pull it out.

6. Savings Account. Don’t have one? Get one! See what credit unions are in your area and see where you can start an account.

7. Pay yourself first. What this means is that you pay your savings immediately when you get paid. Whether you want to scrape $20 off of every week of delivering pizzas, or 10% of babysitting money. Take care of paying yourself first, make payments for any bills or debt, and THEN see what is leftover.

8. Planning versus convenience. For the love of Merlin, don’t use convenience stores if you can help it. Sometimes they are as much as DOUBLE the price of elsewhere! This is particularly directed at gas stations and pharmacies such as Walgreens. Plan your meals! Although not exciting, things like cereal, sandwiches, salads, and fresh produce are not only likely cheaper in the long run, but also healthier. Get some ideas for the week and stick to your shopping list.

For example, say you get 400 a month from your part time job and your living situation is already covered by living in a dorm. If you have a meal plan, utilize it! Say you do allow yourself about $20 a week for snacks and you like to get a coffee a couple times a week - that’s about $100 spoken for. Your phone is $50 a month, your car insurance and gas another $150. That’s $300 that you are already using. If that last $100 is already going places, see where you can cut back - maybe less Taco Cabana, Starbucks, don’t have cable, ride the bus..

The most important thing is to put the money away while you have it. DON’T WAIT UNTIL IT’S GONE. If you wait until the end of the month to see what you have left for saving then your piggy bank likely won’t grow! If you want it to grow, ultimately you will have to make it more of a priority.

ichor.
Archivist

AS Afflatus - Issue 8 - Character Interview & Prompt

Post by ichor. » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:20 am

Image xx

1. Is there anyone dependent on your character? How and why?
2. Is there anyone your character is dependent on? How and why?
3. How seriously does your character take the words ‘I love you’?
4. What does your character think will happen to them once they die?
5. Does your character feel like they deserve what they want or that they must earn it?
6. How does your character treat people in service jobs (such as waiters)?
7. Has your character had a bad experience with an animal? What was it and how do they feel towards that animal?
8. How does your character behave around people they like or want to impress?
9. How does your character behave around people they dislike?
10. How does your character handle criticism?
11. Describe a scenario in which your character feels extremely uncomfortable.
12. Describe a scenario in which your character feels extremely comfortable.
13. What influence did your character’s father have on them?
14. What influence did your character’s mother have on them?
15. What would your character’s spirit animal be and why?

PROMPT When someone’s heart breaks, so does a piece of our world; this creates fissures, valleys, and even cracks in the pavement. Tell me the story behind The Grand Canyon. (This can be character based, not necessarily you.)

or

"Show me your scars"
"But..why?"
"I want to see how many times you needed me, and I wasn't there for you."

ichor.
Archivist

AS Afflatus - Issue 8 - Member Corner

Post by ichor. » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:22 am

Image xx

Ryuk was nominated and earned her house a point for being active and helping out anywhere she could!

Periwinkle was nominated and earned her house points for being a sweetheart and a nice spirit in their house, as well as understanding!

Maluco was nominated and earned her house points for being extremely sweet when interacting with other members!

Artio was nominated and earned her house points for for participating in the Vipera Prompt Thread, especially when she’s been a bit discouraged by being the only entry. She’s consistently shown interest each round and has been really helpful in trying to stir some activity towards that event

Advanced Scribes Official Tumblr
AS has an official Tumblr! Use the blog for writing inspirations, plot ideas, finding images to decorate your role-plays, and more! Have suggestions or something else you'd like to see on the Tumblr? Let us know by submitting to the ask box!

Advanced Scribes Official Twitter
AS also has an official Twitter! Here you'll find updates - especially when the site is down - as well as writing inspirations, writing related humor, and other things! Have ideas or suggestions for what you'd like to see on the Twitter? Don't hesitate to PM Thunder, Night Fury, or Ichor! If you're too shy, then don't hesitate to use the Tumblr ask box!

ichor.
Archivist

AS Afflatus - Issue 8 - Featured Writing

Post by ichor. » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:23 am

Image xx
"are you sure you know what you're doing?"/"no" by toast
Hidden text.
“What have you done?” His father’s fingers traced the mark on his wrist, horror in his voice. He glanced to his son, then back to his wrist, before he pulled his hands away completely and held them close to his body. “You’ve been to the crossroads.” He said, backing away and moving to shield Orion’s mother.

“I gave you what you’ve always wanted, a son who can shift.” Orion gestured to himself in a grandiose manner, his movements reminiscent of a showman. “Do you want to see him? He’s beautiful.” Orion’s parents reeled back, disgust shining in his mother’s eyes and despair written on his father’s face.

“You gave us a monster. You’re not our son, you’re just the beast that killed him.” His mother hissed and Orion’s jaw clenched, his hand balling into a fist in his pockets and he squeezed it so tight his nails broke skin. His gaze snapped to her, and she peered at him from behind his father with anger burning in her eyes.

“I didn’t kill him. You did, when you couldn’t accept that I wasn’t like you.” Orion spoke to his mother, but his father still flinched, his hand moving protectively to his wife’s hip. “You made me hate who I was, I made myself who I wanted to be.”

“How dare you.” His mother surged forward, pushing his father aside. She was practically frothing, a finger jabbed accusingly in his direction. “We loved you, we took care of you when everyone told us to-“

“You don’t get a medal for tolerating me, we all know you only did it to save face.” Orion cut her off, turning away from her and heading for the door. “I’m leaving.” He could hear her step toward him as he left, and it wasn’t long until her shrill voice followed him.

“Good, and don’t come back.” She hollered at him as he swung the door open, and he shot her a deadly glare from where he paused in the doorway. His hand gripped the side of the door tight enough to turn his knuckles white, his nails leaving half-moon indents in the wood.
"are you afraid of the dark, or the things it hides?" by caladrius
Hidden text.
"Sherry?" The young boy's voice was barely above a whisper as he peeked into the dark room of his sister. The wood flooring beneath his bare feet was cold, and the icy feeling slowly crept in through the soles, making its way up into his legs. It was uncomfortable to say the least, but having been taught that entering another person's room without an invitation was impolite, Abe remained just outside of his older sibling's room. It didn't matter that they were family and he was scared, he couldn't just barge in without her consent.

But with every second that trickled by much too slowly, the boy's fear grew, until it became almost overwhelmingly strong. "Sherry?" he tried again, voice a bit louder, a bit more urgent, this time. He watched the form of his sister stir, hidden beneath blankets and buried in a sea of pillows that looked more inviting the longer he stared at it. He saw her lift one hand to rub at her eyes with a tired sigh, before slowly pushing herself up in an upright position to gaze over at the small figure standing in her doorway.

"... Abe?" Sherry's voice was lower than usual, possibly from having just been woken up from her slumber. The boy watched his sister shift, han reaching out for the alarm clock next to her bed. For a brief moment, the display lit up, a faint blue light that barely illuminated the dark room. "It's two in the morning. Why are you up?"

The small boy shifted in his place uncomfortably, dropping his gaze to the floor. "... I'm scared," he simply stated after a moment, "can I sleep with you tonight?" The form of his sister gave a low, tired groan and crumpled back into her bed. The noise alone was enough to make his heart sink in his chest.

ichor.
Archivist

AS Afflatus - Issue 8 - Activity Center

Post by ichor. » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:23 am

Image xx
First of all, here are the long awaited answers for the January edition's Afflatus!

1. Shep I'm a mechanic and therefore love to tinker and I tend to chew the hell out of my nails.
2. Kami My Youtube history is mostly of serial killer, school shooting, and Chernobyl documentaries and I love swimming in autumn leaves more than swimming in an actual swimming pool.
3. Snow By the time I finish my bachelor's, I'll have gone for four colleges and males run heavily in my family - 4 brothers, 8 nephews, and only 2 nieces.
4. Thunder I hate whipped cream and I've been told many times that my face is really expressive.
5. Spencer My favorite candy is peanut butter M&Ms and I'm an archer.
6. Deer I was bitten by a pig on my finger when I was 12 and I won checkers trophies when I was a kid.
7. Blue I'm named after a rather high profile celebrity that my mom used to teach at her daycare and I own more books that I haven't read than ones I have yet I continue to buy more.
8. Ichor I cannot watch a movie/show at home without the subtitles/captions on anymore and once I was so mad at being left at daycare that I wouldn't let my dad near me for a while.
9. Strider I've been doing martial arts since I was 4 and I'm a Dungeons and Dragons nerd.
10. Eccedentesiast Favorite animal is alligators/crocodiles and sharks and I ride dirt bikes.
11. Horizon I play drums and I've been to a dozen schools since 6th grade.
12. BSA I was a competitive horseback rider in high school and I collect Beanie Babies/Build-A-Bears.
13. Meraki Two hobbies of mine include digital design and video/audio/photo editing and one thing I hate above everything else in this world is cockroaches.

Now for this month's activity! We have a crossword! This activity will be worth 50 points. Each correct answer is worth 4 points which means you're earning 2 points for participating! PM all answers to Thunder. Make sure to title the PM: Crossword. Staff cannot participate in the activity this month.

Answer Choices: Stephen King, JRR Tolkien, William Shakespeare, Stephenie Meyer, Mark Twain, Ray Bradbury, Oscar Wilde, Edgar Allan Poe, Jane Austen, JK Rowling, George RR Martin, Arthur Conan Doyle

ACROSS
1. Speak friend and enter.
8. It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.
10. Was I secretly gay? Or not?
11. Swish and flick.
12. Dragons.

DOWN
2. I wrote one novel, but I'm an author. Love me.
3. Emo edgelord with birds.
4. Runaways and racism.
5. Brilliant deduction.
6. The Butterfly Effect
7. I give your nightmares nightmares.
9. Sparkle Fangs.

ichor.
Archivist

AS Afflatus - Issue 8 - Anon Compliments & Critiques

Post by ichor. » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:24 am

Image xx
Anonymous Kitsune wrote:Embry really helped to boost my muse and i can't thank her enough
Anonymous Unicorn wrote:Just wanted to give Night Fury (Spencer) some love for being the best fox dragon ever. You're amazing and sweet and ily.
Anonymous Kitsune wrote:Blue is a darling and deserves all of hugs, love and affection instead of all the bad things that the universe has been throwing at her lately. I love her very much and she's a great person. ♥
Anonymous Unicorn wrote:Rimmy, I want to let you know that you are not only a wonderful, creative partner but you are also an amazing friend. I can not thank you enough for all you have done to me and I hope you do realize you are very special. Stay awesome! I love you