Synesthesia Chat

Chat, socialize and discuss.
SklarmaDakflam
Red Belt
House: Amaranthine

Synesthesia Chat

Post by SklarmaDakflam » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:31 am

Okay hey everyone I am making this thread at 4:30AM in my time zone because I want to chat about synesthesia. If you don't know what that is but you want to, google it or click this wikipedia link

By the way I am really awkward and I'm gonna apologize now for any/all awkwardness.

So I am creating this thread because I wanna chat about synesthesia. I have chromesthesia, one of the types of synesthesia. Anyways I have never really talked to anyone else who has any kind of synesthesia, and I think it would be cool to. So here I am making this thread and being awkward. Also if you don't have it but wanna talk and find out more feel free to ask questions here too!

So... here's a chart of different types and how common they are (the percentages are how common they are among synesthetes, or people with synesthesia. Not 100% of people have synesthesia)

Last edited by SklarmaDakflam on Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

SklarmaDakflam
Red Belt
House: Amaranthine

Re: Synesthesia Chat

Post by SklarmaDakflam » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:45 pm

Prepare for a rant, and I apologize again for my awkwardness...

So I have chromesthesia. That's where I hear colors. When I hear sounds, from music to voices to random everyday sounds, I see colors inside my head.

There are 2 types of chromesthetes, projectors and associators. Projectors 'project' the sounds' colors, and it covers up their vision that their eyes are seeing. Associators have a mental image of the colors they see, inside their head, that does not interfere with their sight. I am an associator.

Every chromesthete has different colors for different sounds. And (for me, at least, I can't speak for everyone) it is not just colors. When I listen to music, I see moving pictures (well, not pictures, but multiple colors and patterns). It creates a beautiful show inside my brain. And some colors or "shows" are not just colorful. They have a visual texture. Kind of how by looking at something you can see if it's smooth and shiny, or matte, etc... Colors can also vary by saturation. If I see a red, it could be dark red-black, or it can be the brightesr reddest-red ever (hypersaturated colors 'look' kind of flat to me).

When I listen to music I often want to paint or draw what I 'see' but it's so hard since it's constantly changing, moving, and I can never seem to get the right colors, textures, and saturation. I usually just pick out the biggest, most common few colors from the entire song, to describe what I 'see', but it doesn't do it justice. If you send me songs, I can tell you what colors the music and singer(s) are. Instruments usually have the same colors that change slightly depending on notes. For example, flutes are whites and light blues and light blue-grays.

Voices are harder to tell for me. Every voice has a unique color, but often it is hard to tell what it is if whoever is speaking is talking (or in the case of music, singing) in a language I understand. I think the reason for this is because my brain is too busy focusing on the meaning of their words and what they're saying, that it covers up the colors. My brain can't do both at the same time, and defaults to comprehension over determining the color. However, if I listen to someone speaking/singing in another language, their color is much easier to 'see', since I can't understand them. But if I am reading translation, then my brain is too busy reading to focus on the colors.

I cannot hear my own voice's color for some reason. I think, again, this is because my brain is busy doing other things. Too busy thinking, generating speech, etc... to 'see' my own color. And everyone knows that your voice sounds different when it's recorded, so I will never no the true color of my voice, sadly. Also, it sounds different to me than to everyone else, because it's my voice. Anyways, the same thing happens when I play an instrument. I don't hear the colors of the music I am playing, because my brain is too busy reading the music and playing the notes.

Normal everyday sounds I tune out automatically. I think I do it because hearing the color of every creak, every footstep, every breath, would get really overwhelming.
But those sounds still have colors. I am training myself to 'see' them when I want to. I just close my eyes and focus only on that sound I want to 'see'. It's not easy as it sounds, and sometimes it's still hard to 'see' a sound.

One thing about chromesthesia, and all other types of synesthesia, is that it can temporarily or permanently disappear. Scientists think that we develop synesthesia when we are really little babies, because there are millions of extra brain neurons we don't need. Synesthesia happens when the lines of your senses cross in your brain, and this often happens with so many extra neurons. Many babies and children potentially have a form of synesthesia. As we grow up, our brains 'prune' all the brain cells we don't need or use, which can make synesthesia go away forever. Brain injuries/damage could also make it disappear permanently. Some drugs can temporarily affect or make your synesthesia disappear. Depression can also weaken or make it disappear as well. I personally for about a year lost mine for this reason. I was so worried I would never get it back. But it did, and I am hearing colors again just like before.

So anyways that's my middle-of-the-night rant. Hope I didn't chase anyone away with this big long info dump. I'm done now.

Last bumped by SklarmaDakflam on Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:45 pm.