Hi There!

A place where new members must introduce themselves before being able to participate on the full forum.
Hells_Bells
White Belt
House: Halcyon

Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:36 pm

Hello everyone!

I'm Hells/Helena, 24 and from the UK. Been roleplaying for who knows how long, but definitely over 10 years now. Sadly it's been a while since I was super active roleplaying and I miss it, but luckily my friend recommended this site and I'm so excited to join!

I'm pretty big into fantasy/sci fi, or anything with a touch of magic/strangeness involved. I'm also a Librarian, particularly working with students between the ages of 4-18, so needless to say, I love my YA fiction!

So yeah, send me a message if you wanna chat. Here's to a fun future of roleplay!

The Woods are lovely, dark and deep
But I have promises to keep
And miles to go before I sleep.
And miles to go before I sleep...
Lost
Orange Belt

Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:21 pm

Hey! I'm Lost :)

Welcome! What are your favourite YA books? I'm a lover of V.E. Schwab's 'A Darker Shade of Magic' series and am about half way through the last book right now. I also love 'Six of Crows' by Leigh Bardugo but I've yet to read the second book :P
Any recommendations?
Last edited by Lost on Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hells_Bells
White Belt

Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:27 pm

Oh I love that series!! Both of them in fact, I had a bit of a book-slump after Crooked Kingdom cause I couldn't find anything that felt as good reading as that! I would definitely recommend the Half-Bad series by Sally Green though, oh and if you haven't read it, Fangirl and Carry On (in that order) by Rainbow Rowell, her writing style is wonderfully light-hearted and relateable.

If you like Sci-Fi I cannot recommend A Long Way to a Small Angry Planet by Becky Chambers enough, 3 books in the series at the moment, all brilliantly written!

The Woods are lovely, dark and deep
But I have promises to keep
And miles to go before I sleep.
And miles to go before I sleep...
Lost
Orange Belt

Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:36 pm

I started the Six of Crows series before the second book came out, a fantastic series that got me out of that slump was Rivers of London which has a bit of sci-fi but it's a dark fantasy that honestly is not summed up by the title at all. It's way better ;)

I'll take a look at the Becky Chambers series, I've never heard of it before. But I'm looking for a book to get me out of my current slump so maybe that'll be it. I fancy a bit of sci-fi for once.

There's a thread that talks about underrated books that are worth a look at; viewtopic.php?f=15&t=10189 You should take a look at it.
important
Red Belt

Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:35 pm

hey there, Hells_Bells! i'm important, one of the global moderators here on AS! if you have any questions about the site, feel free to message me or any other staff member, as we'd be more than happy to help! as for recs on some YA dark fantasy/magic books, i really love the throne of glass series by sarah j. maas, if you haven't already checked it out! hope you're enjoying the site!
chaoticroommates
White Belt
House: Unsorted

Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:21 am

Hey there! I'm Roommate. I love fantasy and sci-fi too, so I'm always happy to give out book recommendations. I'll second the suggestion of V.E. Schwab's A Darker Shade of Magic. That trilogy is amazing. (Six of Crows and Throne of Glass are also excellent books.) Plus anything by Brandon Sanderson is a great choice for reading. Nice to meet you!
coastal
White Belt

Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:17 am

Hello! I'm coastal~ working as a librarian sounds like a wonderful job. All the book recs on this thread are great! Like I need more books on my already full shelves....
GrimmXMalkin
White Belt

Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:13 pm

Super excited to play in the Cirque rp with you!!!