April Poetry Event!

It is the responsibility of every user to keep up with any rule changes and to monitor this area on their own.

Poll

I think this would be fine/fun; it’s short, poetry, and easy to simply not participate if desired
46%
No; I think we should stick with the main events we already have
8%
Members should be allowed 1 entry
13%
Members should be allowed up to 3 entries
19%
Members should be allowed as many as they have time to write; it’s poetry!
13%

Total votes: 52
chemically poisoned
Attendant
House: Amaranthine

April Poetry Event!

Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:08 pm

NEW TOPIC OF DISCUSSION BEGINNING HERE.

• As a few of you have expressed in the survey, you'd like the staff to be more transparent when discussing things we are considering implementing on the site. That being said, we'd like to open up the discussion of possibly introducing "positivity points", for lack of a better term. Taking a look at the system of the site with the way points are given out, we feel that there could be more variation in ways to gain points other than the afflatus participation and events. We'd like to hear from you all if anyone would be interested in the possibility of introducing a new system of awarding points.

A few questions that we, the staff, have thought of and would like to have discussed are as follows:
      xxxxx-What sorts of things would earn points?
      xxxxx-Would they be given out by keepers or by any staff?
      xxxxx-Should there be a monthly limit?
      xxxxx-Would said limit be per person, per month, etc.?
      xxxxx-If there is a concern for people being subjective or biased, should someone oversee it, such as staff more just xxxxxnominating/suggesting people and then admin staff approving it after taking a look?
      xxxxx-Should the number of points vary based on the individual scenario or always be a set amount?

In a nutshell, what we were envisioning is a way to better recognize people for making an effort to be welcoming to others, helping, providing answers to questions, contributing team spirit, participating in discussions and such threads, and more. We know sometimes there isn't always time to participate in events but you still make your mark on the community in other ways, and that is also so important and appreciated!

We are really trying to create a safe, fun, and positive community. This will hopefully open a discussion with you guys and learn whether this is something you'd like to be interested in. Even if you bring up something not on the list, we are all ears. Let's see what we can collectively come up with!
Kael
Silver Belt
House: Halcyon

Re: Positivity Points Discussion

Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:11 pm

Okay so the first thing I need to get off my chest is that the current name of this sounds rather... negative. Seeing the discussion name initially made me think a new tallying system for rule-breaking users was in the works.

Secondly, I am doubtful if this system will change anything in regards to us (the users) wanting to feel heard. Only a few of us care about these "useless" points, as all we compete for is honour.

And even if the points are a way to be motivational, I think it would be the wrong movements. People should help AS and their new users out because they want to. Not because there is some form of reward to it. It sort of feels like a "best kid of the class" approach. What would new users think if someone was nice just for some extra points?

So for now, until I see what the rest of the community thinks, I'm negative about these points. They seem to be a tad redundant.

But that may just be because of the term "attitude points" which screams nothing but negative to me.
22/03/2019
xxxxxxxxxxxxxImage
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"I am not interested in being a hero"
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxBut yet you are the biggest of all
➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳
OverwatchSpeedyA.T.O.M.
➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳
The Flash: S3E11
Arrow: S5E14
Legends of Tomorrow: S2E8
thunderofthebun
Administrator

Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:18 pm

Do you have a better name? As it says, it truly was for lack of a better term at the time and I agree that it doesn’t quite give off the right vibe but nothing else came to my mind! If you have an idea that would better communicate the idea, I’m all ears!!

I don’t want to reply to anything else at this time as I’d love to hear from more members - this is more about you guys than my own opinions.
Happy March!

Check out the AS Survey and let us know how we can improve.

My current to-do list: discussion and poll for the April Event,
get older, prep said event (if still occurring), prep the April afflatus
conclude the AS survey, 1x1 event, and social media survey,
share 1x1 event results, current points,
and create thread for anon box discussion.
Also: finalize Never's backend access, discuss themes status

Happy Birthday to all of the March blueberries!
Kael
Silver Belt

Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:19 pm

Perhaps something like Positivity Points? Contribution Points? I don't know that was the best I could come up with cx
22/03/2019
xxxxxxxxxxxxxImage
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"I am not interested in being a hero"
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxBut yet you are the biggest of all
➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳
OverwatchSpeedyA.T.O.M.
➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳
The Flash: S3E11
Arrow: S5E14
Legends of Tomorrow: S2E8
thunderofthebun
Administrator

Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:28 pm

OH I think the phrase positivity points was in my head but like months ago. Thank you!! I’ll update this to reflect that. The concept has nothing to do with rule breaking, but I agree that the current name is very lacking. And hey, if it turns out everyone hates the idea, then so be it! Or if people have alternative ideas, I hope they are shared!
Happy March!

Jazzyleia
Silver Belt
House: Vipera

Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:31 pm

In my opinion, I don't think we need more points. Because if one of the incentives is because they welcome newbies, how are you even going to track that? Yeah they have to make a thread in one forum, but that doesn't really mean anything. I've had plenty of new people come to me to request roleplays but that isn't me welcoming them.

But yes I think the main worry for some people would be some mods perhaps being biased. Giving them to their roleplay partners because they can. I think you would need to implement a system where a user could only earn so many points. It would probably have to be small, to avoid a house potentially getting more because they are more active. Because nothing personal, I love my Viperas, but everyone is so QUIET. There is barely any activity there.

I think it should be a set amount. Each person can give out "x" and each person can only recieve "x". That would prevent someone from just giving them out all the time, again perhaps problems for biased opinions if they only give to their house members. Honestly I see something like 5-10 PER YEAR for each of those "x"s to be realistic. There are other ways to earn points. But we could use more just prompt events. Honestly those are my favorite. And I think you get a pretty good amount of participation.
xxxx
Imagex News: Deer is still amazing!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx Roleplays:
Fandom [][∞] Deer [X][∞]
Momo [X] Phoenix [X]
Snow [X] Gamora []
Avenoir [X] Golden []
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Gamora.
Black Belt

Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:48 pm

• I'm with Jazzel and Kael on this, I don't think it's really necessary. People should want to discuss on threads, welcome users, etc. just because they want to, not because you can get points for it. Events themselves offer up so many point opportunities, as does the Afflatus, and it's really only the same people participating in it every month. I don't think adding points for being nice or discussing in topics would make people participate more and if it did, it would be for the hunt of the points, not anything genuine. There really isn't going to be a way to give out points without having some sort of bias, either.

While I appreciate the idea, I don't think there would be much of a way to control it. If staff really wanted to go through with it then maybe they could do something like nominating one person per month from each house to get an extra 5 points for something? Like a super long prompt entry in the afflatus, continual participation in the afflatus, reporting a spammer, being extra helpful to a newbie, etc. Again, it's hard to avoid a bias, but at least that way every house would get a certain number of points? But then that also defeats the purpose of competing so I don't know.

Though having points for the Social Media prompts would be cool if you want a way of adding more points c;

Edit: Also maybe add a poll regarding this? Not everyone is comfortable speaking their opinion publicly.
      xx
      xx
      xx
      xx
      xx
      xx
      xx
      xx
      ↠ in the darkest times, hope ───────

just a twenty year old cat mom who spends too
      much time crying over fandoms. honestly im just
      marvel and avatar trash. my pms are always open

───── is something you give yourself ↞
thunderofthebun
Administrator

Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:47 pm

I think a poll is a great idea and I definitely hear you guys. I’ll work on adding a poll in the next 24 hours.
Happy March!

thunderofthebun
Administrator

Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:39 pm

Hey, would you guys like if there was a permanent anonymous box? It’d have to be offsite in order to be fully anonymous, but perhaps it could be useful for this and going forward for people to feel more comfortable speaking up? I know one thing I struggle with as staff is knowing what people want - it’s often not until something is posted or implemented that people speak up regarding liking or not liking it and I’d love for everyone to have more opportunities to take initiative on their own without being prompted through seeing something they dislike appear. Even when asked for opinions or suggestions, I worry people hold back their constructive input, especially if it disagrees with other posts, or worry it isn’t a good idea and would be rejected unfairly.
Happy March!

thunderofthebun
Administrator

Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:05 am

We are also going to add this to the Mini Announcements, but here is a link to a new, general-use anonymous box. Unfortunately it is another off-site link, but hopefully a good resource moving forward. While I want people to be constructive, I do understand sometimes people feel uncomfortable revealing what they think of something. Staff have been trying to anticipate what may benefit AS but I’d love for more members to be able to speak up so we can hear it straight from you guys!

http://freesuggestionbox.com/pub/pzpdzbp

The survey is still ongoing and we’ll be sharing an end date soon. Once it has concluded we’ll be posting up some of the findings to work with the AS userbase on how we can improve AS staff, features, content, and community.
Happy March!