AS Afflatus: Issue Twenty-Three

Where you can find all published issues of the Advanced Scribes Afflatus, our very own newsletter!

Moderator: Admin Aide

Please vote on a poem featured from the Member's Corner!

Jazzyleia's "The Rise of Skywalker"
22%
Gamora's "Untitled"
3%
Gamora's "wrong timing"
28%
Silence's "Afloat"
47%

Total votes: 32
ichor.
Admin Aide
House: Halcyon Keeper

AS Afflatus: Issue Twenty-Three

Mon May 06, 2019 3:08 am

Image x
If you are a new reader of the Afflatus, welcome! This magazine is meant to be interactive with our members, meaning submissions, suggestions, and nominations are encouraged! For each contribution to the Afflatus, points will be awarded to the house! Through this magazine, we aim to provide tips and inspiration as well as updates regarding the site. To make a submission, you can do so by using this form or even posting directly to the thread.

Submissions that are meant to be shown for the next issues are: Dear Stag, Featured Writing, & Anonymous Compliments/Critique.

Afflatus Contents: Title Post, Updates, Dear Stag, Writing & Life Tips, Character Interview & Prompt, Member Corner, Featured Writing, Adventure Story, Activity Center and Anonymous Compliments and Critique.

Current Staff/Team Members: Thunderofthedrum, Commander Shepard, Snow, Lost, Ichor., Kami, Blue, Cerise, Chemically Poisoned. Here is our team page.
ichor.
Admin Aide

AS Afflatus - Issue 23 - Updates

Mon May 06, 2019 3:27 am

Image x
Staff Changes: As you may have noticed, there have been a couple of changes to the AS team! Please check them out in this post here!

Staff Applications: The date has been set! Please get your staff applications to Thunder by the end of May 15th, per THIS post and find all of the info about applying HERE.

Afflatus Activity: No activity this month, but members can still earn points through the afflatus and the social media contest! If you were looking forward to this, we apologize!

Important Afflatus Notice: Please read the first post on page 2 of the Afflatus regarding an issue that has occurred during Issue 22.

Issue 22 Totals:
Halcyon - 445
Vipera - 170
Sagacitas - 149
Amaranthine - 15
ichor.
Admin Aide

AS Afflatus - Issue 23 - Dear Stag

Mon May 06, 2019 3:27 am

Image x
Dear Stag,
What's the best way to go about making extra income outside of your daily job?
- Anonymous Unicorn
ichor.
Admin Aide

AS Afflatus - Issue 23 - Member Interview

Mon May 06, 2019 3:28 am

Image x

x

1. If you could bitch slap one celebrity, who would it be?
2. Did you brush your teeth this morning?
3. What is the meaning behind your AS name?
4. Who is someone you miss?
5. What is a character of someone else’s that you adore?
6. What is a character of someone else’s that you wish you created for yourself?
7. What is the worst Mary Sue / Gary Stu trait you’ve seen?
8. Have you ever gone back and reread threads from your first year of roleplaying/writing?
9. What is your guilty pleasure fandom?
10. What is a name you are absolutely obsessed with?
11. Who is your favorite antagonist?
12. How different was your life five years ago?
13. Would you want to know when you’re going to die?
14. Do you hold grudges? What was the longest?
15. What would you be the god/goddess of?
ichor.
Admin Aide

AS Afflatus - Issue 23 - Character Interview & Prompt

Mon May 06, 2019 3:28 am

Image x

x
1. What subject is/was your character best at in school?
2. What is their favorite book?
3. Favorite literary hero or heroine?
4. Favorite literary villain?
5. What would completely break your character?
6. How does your character feel about sex?
7. What is your character afraid of?
8. What is your character reluctant to tell people?
9. What is your character’s major flaws?
10. What famous/"deep" quote does your character live/go by?
11. If they were a Disney villain/hero, who would they be and why?
12. If they were to kill one family member/friend, who would they kill? Why?
13. If they found themselves in a soulmate AU, how would it 'appear' on them?
14. If they were a mythological beast, what would they be?
15. What is your character's favourite word and its meaning?

x Prompt x
Pick one (1) of the two prompts.

The last door finally closed.

or

"I'm not who I was one year ago and maybe, just once, change is good." - E. Grin
ichor.
Admin Aide

AS Afflatus - Issue 23 - Member Corner

Mon May 06, 2019 3:29 am

Image x
Poem Voting

Please take a moment to read these three poems and vote for them in the poll!
Jazzyleia wrote:The Rise of Skywalker
They will rise like the rolling tide,
rush in with no warning to their victory.
But don't be prepared to have them around long,
for they will leave as quick as the tide.
Rolling back out until another storm hits.

Be prepared for what is to come.
The darkness can be consuming,
but so can the light.
But in the end, which can prevail?
Blues against red, streaks of light passing through the sky,
the stars hold all the stories.

Each generation had a legend,
and this one may just be beginning.
Gamora wrote:Untitled
There are light years of distance between us,
galaxies of silence between me and wherever you are.
I know you’re out there somewhere watching over me,
because whenever the rain pelts on my bedroom window,
I smile and know its you reminding me that you’re there.

I speak to you often, and wish I could see you once more.
But the light years between us will never be crossed.
It’s an unfortunate tragedy that the ones we love
are more often than not the ones we lose; forever.
And I know forever is too long, but at least we had some time.
Gamora wrote:wrong timing
and our love was just
always teetering on the
Edge of wrong timing.
silence wrote:Afloat
You shove everything
inside, like you’re trying to build
a ship in a bottle, the pieces
jumbling together
until the masts are engulfed
by the deck, cancerous
and malformed, a growth
that just gets bigger
and heavier
until the sails are pressed flush
against the glass, and your body drags
from your chest, your lungs
wrenched together
by the chain of an anchor
you learned to breathe around,
the same way you learned to smile
around pieces of driftwood,
concealing them under your tongue
before you swallow
them down, jagged edges splintering
in your throat
as they settle, pressing against the monstrous
hull of your bottled ship, until the glass
shatters, shards exploding
out of your chest, from behind your ribs,
broken spears of wood spilling
from that open, bleeding cavity,
tumbling from between your fingers,
your teeth, until you are silent
and hollow, your organs
a mess of wood
and glass
at your knees.

You scrape the wreckage
back inside
your yawning torso.

Now is not the time to be falling apart.
--
Anonymous Wyvern wrote:
So social media challenge or nah? We literally haven't heard anything from you guys for an entire month after one mod said a week and another said a few months. You need to keep us updated because some people do actually enjoy doing them.
  • This is likely moot now, but yes! We were trying to figure out what changes to make and admittedly things were a little unclear for all of us for a bit there, but we are more on the same page now! We still welcome feedback for how to best run this feature. Questions such as these that deal with a timeline should be directed to a moderator to receive a timely reply since the Afflatus is only posted once a month!
Anonymous Unicorn wrote:
Really loved the crossword this month! It was a challenge and it's fun to have something that really works your brain.
  • That is awesome to hear! We are trying hard to keep them varied and not too involved - we received some feedback that there are plenty of prompts and hardcore writing opportunities available so we have striven to keep the activities a bit lighter. Please feel free to suggest ideas for future activities; we don’t want them to become dull for you guys!
Anonymous Wyvern wrote:
remember how a little while back, users were asked to submit questions that staff members answered? how about instead of the general users, staff members generate questions to get to know their user base better for a future activity?
  • This sounds like a part of the afflatus which we already implemented this year - the Member Interview. If you mean something different, please shoot me a PM so I can better understand!
Anonymous Wyvern wrote:
For a writing/member activity, can we do a workshop? Like, something that a writer typically struggles with such as action scenes, synonyms, etc? For example, alternate words for 'eyes' , 'soft', 'hair', etc and users have to research and put 3-4 examples for each given? and maybe a few articles are provided?
  • This is incredibly intriguing. We will definitely jot this down and explore how to make it into great resources and activities for members to participate in. Thank you for the awesome suggestion!!
Anonymous Unicorn wrote:
Submission Omitted
Anonymous Unicorn wrote:
Submission Omitted
  • There were two submissions made in the past issue of the Afflatus that were not the sort that should be published publicly. They were rude and unnecessary. Please keep responses made through the form respectful and refrain from any bashing or insulting.
Do you have ideas as to what you would like to see here? Don't be afraid to share through our google form!
ichor.
Admin Aide

AS Afflatus - Issue 23 - Featured Writing

Mon May 06, 2019 3:29 am

Image x

x
Beginnings by Artio
Hidden text.
indentBrad held out his beer bottle, giving a small toast of, "To new beginnings."

indent"To new beginnings," Adam repeated, smiling as he tapped his water bottle against it.

indentSitting beside each other on the concrete step with only a dingy porch light and their lit cigarettes illuminating the back door to the venue, they both took a sip of their drinks. It had been one of their first shows since Adam had gone through rehab and, as exciting as it was to be back and onto new music, new venues, and new tours, it was nice to step away from everything for the moment. Brad could tell he appreciated having a dark, quiet smoke break in contrast to the high energy inside.

indentThey sat in silence, taking in the crisp, late spring air and the occasional sound of nearby traffic as they alternated between sips and puffs of smoke. There wasn't much to look at in the back parking lot, even if there had been better lighting. The sights included some locked up tour buses, a few trailers, and a fair number of moths. Brad wanted to glance over at Adam, see his guitar calloused fingers with the cigarette perched between them, that black hair give a weak shine in the low light, the smoke wreath his face like a veil, but he still seemed tense from the show. Instead, Brad tried to keep still and busy himself counting the assortment of bugs. The least he could do to respect Adam's invitation to join him outside was not encroach on his peace.

indentAnother moth fluttered towards the light. The silence lingered as they worked through their cigarettes, Brad trying to resist blowing smoke at the moths just to find out what they'd do. It didn't take long for Adam to start up a second cigarette. They could hear loud talking and laughter muffled through the door as the rest of the guys got drunk and rode out their remaining adrenaline from the show. At one particularly obnoxious burst of laughter, he flinched.

indentBrad nudged him with a shoulder. "You ok?"

indentClosing his eyes for a second, he shook his head like he was trying to snap out of a trance. "Yeah, sorry. I was just thinking."

indent"Thinking about what?" Not wanting to seem intrusive, Brad added, "If you wanna talk about it."

indent"I don't know. Too much stuff all at once, I guess." Adam took a long drag of his cigarette, blowing the smoke out into the night air before facing him. "Thanks for coming out here with me, by the way. I'm not trying to ignore you."

indent"Don't worry about it." He turned away for a second to get out a new cigarette of his own. It looked like they'd be staying outside for a while longer.

indentThat suspicion was all but confirmed as Adam let them lapse back into thoughtful silence. Brad considered trying to start up a new conversation, but figured if he wanted to chat, he'd speak up. Maybe he wasn't the best at letting them know when something was wrong, but he'd always been able to carry a conversation when he wanted one. With the sounds of the rest of the guys partying inside becoming increasingly like a siren's call, Brad tried to find a more comfortable way to sit on the concrete. It was getting harder to suppress his fidgeting as his own thoughts started to stray to topics he tried not to focus on.

indentOne particular topic was being persistent in asking for his attention.
The Last Time by westy,
Hidden text.
"I know it is going to work!" Ethan leaned over the rudimentary map he made with a red crayon, and toilet paper. His dark eyes darting across the scratch marks and squiggles, before he finally pointed at a crooked line that was supposed to represent a door.

"Here, we will meet here," he flashed a toothy grin as he glanced up from his map. "Are you even listening?"

Annie laid in the far corner of their plain room. Her head propped up on her arm and her eyes directed toward the grey ceilings. Letting out a small sigh, Annie flipped over to face Ethan.

"Yes, I am listening," she hissed as her gaze shot daggers at him.

Raising his hands, Ethan sat back on his heels. "I am just trying to figure out a way to get out of here."

"You've been doing that for two years now Ethan... maybe we should give up."

"What?!"

Annie slowly sat now, wincing from the fresh wounds that she earned earlier that day. Rubbing her abdomen, she continued with a low, hush voice.

"Maybe, if we just do what they ask, we can get out sooner. Instead of just trying to fight them, maybe we should... you know, become one of them."

Ethan sat with a stunned face. His dark eyes filled with shock.

"Are you saying we should just give up?"
"you are not alone. you will never be alone." by periwinkle
Hidden text.
They lay in bed side by side, silently basking in the high that came after intercourse. Arwen would not dare refer to it as “lovemaking”, because it was not quite that. There were many extenuating circumstances surrounding the two in that moment, circumstances that could not possibly add up to love. For one, the man that she had just willingly let into her bed was not the man she loved. Yes, the physical body was the same, but in every characteristic beyond that he was but a stranger to her. Danaus – it felt unnatural to refer to him as “Naz” now – briefly leaned over the bed to rifle through his discarded clothing on the ground. The female witch watched his bare back as he faced away from her, imagining how the sex would have been different had it been with her true familiar. The man next to her was her ancestor’s familiar, stooped deep in darkness and wickedness Arwen could hardly describe with words. Her body could describe it clearly, however. Bruises began to form on her wrists, easily noticeable against her pale skin. Her deep red hair ached at the roots from the intensity of the yanking it had endured; and, when she licked her lips, she tasted blood. Danaus always drew blood somehow, just to draw energy from her body until it was sapped. As rough as he was – so unlike her Naz – there was a sick part of the witch that found herself liking it, wanting it. When she was with Danaus, she could pretend it was Naz. She could try to will him back into reality. She could try to forget that he did the same thing to her reincarnated ancestor Deirdre, only hours before. She could pretend he was hers again. That was why she let him do the things he did, and that was why she would continue to do so until the true Naz returned from somewhere deep in the recesses of Danaus’s mind. It was fucked, and she knew it. Yet she just couldn’t stop herself.

The click of a lighter flicking open made her realize that Danaus was lighting a cigarette, and the heavy cloud of smoke that suddenly filled the air confirmed her thoughts. She feared that Naz had not returned, not this time. The raven familiar rested himself back on his pillow was a heavy sigh before taking another draw from the cigarette. He turned his head and blew the smoke directly at Arwen, who briefly closed her eyes to avoid them from watering. The smoke clogged her senses for one long, dizzying moment. “What’s got you down, Red?” He murmured, even his voice sounding lower than the original Naz. The blood witch took a few seconds to contemplate her reply. “I’m just thinking about how fucked up this is,” she finally responded honestly, turning to look into his golden eyes; eyes that were supposed to be blue. Danaus stilled for a second, his eyes scanning her naked body slowly and with leisure, a smug smirk on his face. Then, it happened. A switch flipped. Her heart fluttered – this was what she waited eagerly for every time they got under the sheets. Danaus blinked rapidly a few times, then frowned. “No-!” He growled, low and harsh before shaking his head. However, it was too late. Golden eyes turned to blue. If only for a few minutes, her Naz was back with her. Precious seconds passed as the two looked at each other, staring into each other’s very souls as though it was the first time they’d seen each other in years. Her familiar broke his gaze away first, eyes once more looking over her body. This time, instead of pride, all Arwen could see was remorse, guilt, and even some anger deep within the azure depths. Tentatively, he reached out with his free hand – the other still gripping the cigarette as though he didn’t even realize it was there – and lightly traced the bruised on her skin. Arwen wasn’t sure what to say, the sensation of him touching her leaving her momentarily breathless. “Your hand is shaking,” she whispered. Danaus scoffed quietly. “That’s the first thing you say?” He countered back, a small bit of his true personality peeking through despite the situation they were in. Arwen didn’t have the heart to smile at the sentiment. “How are you doing?” She asked instead, her face showing the same concern as her trembling voice did. Danaus’s hand paused its tracing of her skin, the man caught up in the own trauma he faced in his own mind. When he remained silent, Arwen silently took his hand, lacing her fingers with his. She could feel his energy, though severely weakened, pulsing against her palm. They were made for each other, and the comfort she found when she was with him was unlike anything else. “You can tell me,” she prompted, providing a comforting squeeze to his hand. It was unlike Danaus to actually tell her his troubles, so when he began to speak it was only a telltale sign of his own torture slowly breaking him down. “It’s hell,” he breathed, “I watch him hurt you using my own hands, and the things he does with Deirdre-” Naz broke off and took a deep breath before continuing. “I just go to the corners of my own mind and shut it all out. It makes me feel so…”
title by title
Hidden text.
words
ichor.
Admin Aide

AS Afflatus - Issue 23 - Activity Center

Mon May 06, 2019 3:30 am

Image x

x
There is no activity for this month! Apologies for those looking forward to this segment of the Afflatus. I was caught up with finals and papers. Please forgive me! ;c

Edit: To make up for the lack of activity, you may do both prompts! Points for Double Prompts

Answers for last issue's activity:

Across:
1. James Joyce
7. CS Lewis
9. Ernest Hemingway
10. Virginia Woolf
11. George Orwell
12. John Green

Down:
2. Charles Dickens
3. Lewis Carroll
4. Janet Evanovich
5. Clive Cussler
6. Harper Lee
8. Maya Angelou

x Have suggestions for future activities? Don't be afraid to share through the google form!
ichor.
Admin Aide

AS Afflatus - Issue 23 - Anonymous Compliments

Mon May 06, 2019 3:32 am

Image x
Anonymous Phoenix wrote:Grengirl is just such a special person! She is always positive, supportive, and drama free. She makes AS such a wonderful and welcoming place and I think we are so lucky to have her!
Anonymous Unicorn wrote:Thank to Ichor for all her hard work on the Afflatus. This is something I look forward to every month and it makes such a difference in my life. It doesn't ever disappoint! Thank you for all your hard work Anika!
Anonymous Kitsune wrote:Quick shout out to important for being a wonderful salt-buddy and keeping me from doing stupid shit on a daily basis! Love you, my sweet little potato, and I can't wait for our wonderful furry beast children to get together in our "what the hell is this" roleplay! ♥
ichor.
Admin Aide

AS Afflatus - Issue 23 - Reminders & Point System

Mon May 06, 2019 3:32 am

Image x
Just a couple of reminders for the Afflatus! x
1. Any entry submitted through the Google form is worth 5 points. Things that will be submitted through the Google form are:

xxxxxxxa. Dear Stag submissions
xxxxxxxb. Prompt Suggestions
xxxxxxxc. Featured Works Nominations
xxxxxxxd. Anonymous Compliments
xxxxxxxe. Member Corner Submissions
xxxxxxxf. Question Submissions
xxxxxxxg. Suggestions/Questions for the Afflatus or site

2. Dear Stag can feature anything you want to ask. This can be writing tips, life tips, advice, and so forth. Keep in mind that the Afflatus is posted once a month, so things that need to be answered urgently are not best to submit. Additionally, we are not professionals, so heavy matters should be discussed with a trusted adult. We will do our best to answer each submission every issue, but may have to save other matters for later issues.

3. Dear Stag submissions should be submitted by the end of the second week of the month, so that there is enough time to provide an adequate response to the submission.

4. The Featured Works segment can feature anything from the site. Roleplays, characters, art, personal writing. When submitting a featured work, please include the member's url, the url to the post and post title, and state what it is that is being featured. I will notify users that their work has been featured.

5. When submitting an anonymous compliment, please include username and link to their profile. I notify these users after each issue is posted so that they know they've received a compliment and it makes it easy to track them down in case usernames are changed!

6. When posting submissions to the thread, please make sure the name of the submission is in the title. So, if it's a character interview, please mention that in the title. If it is an activity, please put that in the title. However, it is not a big deal if it is forgotten, though it can clear up any potential confusion.

7. Please post each submission to the thread in separate posts. This makes tallying points much easier.

8. Remember, you can post up to two (2) character interviews/otp quizzes per issue and only one prompt per issue.

9. You are welcome to submit anything to the Member Corner, within reason. Book reviews, recipes, and anything else you can think of. Not everything will be able to used, but will certainly still count for points and saved for future use! The Member Corner will also be used to address any feedback received through the Google form.

10. At the end of the month I will post the following on the thread: "Any posts made after this will not count towards points." I will be trying to stay consistent with this and plan on doing this on the last day of every month by 11:30 PM CST time. Please note that if this doesn't happen for a day (or more) then you can assume it's fair game to submit more things to the thread, since it is likely taking some time to get the next issue out. The Google form, however, will be closed the night before the next issue.
x Points System x Through Google Form

Dear Stag Submission ……………………....................................... 5 points
Featured Works Nomination ………………................................... 5 points
Future Prompt Suggestion ………………...................................... 5 points
Compliment Submission ………………......................................... 5 points
Member Corner Submission ………………................................... 5 points
Character Interview Question Submission (min 5) ……........... 5 points
Member Interview Question Submission (min 5) ……............. 5 points
Feedback Submission ……………….............................................. 5 points

Through Thread

Character Interview/OTP Quiz Submission ………… 10 points
Member Interview Submission ………...................… 10 points

Prompt Submission
0-500 words ………………………. 10 points
500-1000 words ………………….. 20 points
1000-2000+ words ……………….. 30 points

Activity Participation - will vary depending on level of difficulty
x NOTICE x
Keep all responses made through the Google form respectful. There should be no bashing or insulting of staff or anything of the sort. Points will not be awarded for submissions that are too rude to feature publicly in the Afflatus.