AS Afflatus: Issue Twenty-Four

Where you can find all published issues of the Advanced Scribes Afflatus, our very own newsletter!

Moderator: Admin Aide

ichor.
Admin Aide
House: Halcyon Keeper

AS Afflatus: Issue Twenty-Four

Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:35 am

Image x
If you are a new reader of the Afflatus, welcome! This magazine is meant to be interactive with our members, meaning submissions, suggestions, and nominations are encouraged! For each contribution to the Afflatus, points will be awarded to the house! Through this magazine, we aim to provide tips and inspiration as well as updates regarding the site. To make a submission, you can do so by using this form or even posting directly to the thread.

Submissions that are meant to be shown for the next issues are: Dear Stag, Featured Writing, & Anonymous Compliments/Critique.

Afflatus Contents: Title Post, Updates, Dear Stag, Member Interview, Character/OTP Interview & Prompt, Member Corner, Featured Works, Activity Center, Anonymous Compliments.

Current Staff/Team Members: Thunderofthedrum, Commander Shepard, Snow, Lost, Ichor., Kami, Blue, Cerise, Chemically Poisoned. Here is our team page.
ichor.
Admin Aide

AS Afflatus - Issue 24 - Updates

Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:35 am

Image x
Staff Applications: Applications for staff positions have officially closed! Results will be announced soon in June. Keep your eyes out!

100 Days of Summer: The 100 Days of Summer event will be starting June 1st! To find out more about this event in detail please visit the thread HERE.

Poetry Winner: According to the poll on the previous issue, Silence from house Halcyon is the winner! They have earned Halcyon 20 points!

Issue 20 Totals:
x Halcyon - 455
Vipera - 240
Sagacitas - 200
Amaranthine - 45
ichor.
Admin Aide

AS Afflatus - Issue 24 - Dear Stag

Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:36 am

hey stag. do you know ways as to destress from a busy and a hectic schedule? Also, tips on time management?
- Anonymous Wyvern
  • You can listen to this song - it has been proven to greatly reduce anxiety, tension and stress and many people have said helped them feel better after a rough day or when the world is against you. Also try to follow the "1-minute rule" - if something takes less than a minute to complete, do it immediately instead of putting it to the back of the day and then forgetting about it completely (that always happens). Otherwise, try not to procrastinate and just do things before their deadline as you'll have more time to prepare and won't have to cram things in the morning of the day they're due.

Of course, don't work without any breaks. Complete a task (or series of tasks) and reward yourself with some time to relax and maybe watch an episode of a show or go out for a little bit. Just make sure you know all your due dates and give yourself plenty of time to complete everything.
can you suggest some good playlists to listen to while writing?
- Anonymous Wyvern
  • There are many good playlists that can be listened to while writing! If you have access to Spotify, there are many video game music soundtracks that help while writing difficult scenes or just having some ambiance music in the background to focus on writing. I can link a few that I personally like (not Spotify-related, sadly): one, two, three,four. Additionally, you can create your own playlists based on what you want and need. Do you need a playlist for a specific character? A pairing? A roleplay? Making playlists with your partner may be a fun thing to do and may also give you both inspiration to write! Many people find music without words to be the best to listen to in order to better focus while writing.
Hey Stag. I have always wanted to travel to another country, but I am nervous to go alone. What are some good websites (for travel guides) and apps (that don't require cell service) for a first time traveler? Also, tips on how to survive an eighteen hour plane ride?
- Anonymous Wyvern
  • Traveling is such an incredible experience and, in some ways, traveling alone can be incredibly liberating. If this is your first time out of your home country, I do recommend having a travel companion your first time or to at least speak some of the language of your destination. Traveling at all, especially in a foreign country, can be very intimidating, stressful, expensive, chaotic, and confusing. Aside from general advice like arriving to everything extra early (such as train stations and airports), make sure you look up helpful travel vocabulary in the native language and practice both saying, hearing, and reading those words, such as disembark, arrivals and departures, destination names, train station, bathroom, etc. Another great idea, though it may not be available everywhere, is to look up the layout of the stations and airports you will be traveling through ahead of time. Lastly for general knowledge - be safe. Don’t share rides with people you don’t know, keep your backpack in FRONT of you within your sight when on crowded buses or on busy train platforms, keep your money and important IDs/documents tucked away where no one can steal them such as on your person rather than in your bag, and make sure you have photocopies of everything as well and copies of important phone numbers in case you lose your phone!

For a crazy long plane ride overseas, in many cases there will be a tv built into the seat. Come prepared with a set of earbuds/headphones that you can plug in to enjoy the selection of movies. In case there are not TVs, if you have a personal electronic device such as a tablet or smartphone, you can copy movies from your computer to your device (such as through iTunes) and some streaming services allow you to download movies or episodes for offline viewing, which I found SUPER helpful on my flights to France last year. I also recommend a battery pack and/or battery case to help your device to stay powered on for longer. On my trip to France, I had just purchased a battery case online that came in useful not only for the flights, but also during the day when I was out sightseeing and draining my battery due to the hundreds of pictures I was taking! I would charge both the case and my phone every night. Another tip - wear comfortable clothes for the long travel days. Whether that’s shorts or pants, make sure they are comfortable for sitting in for long periods of time and also walking. Bring a light jacket with you even if your luggage is checked, and maybe even a blanket that packs up small if you are prone to being cold. Another good idea is a spare pair of undergarments, in case you want to freshen up or something happens to strand you in one place for a bit (such as missing your connecting flight). A toothbrush, toothpaste, and other immediate needs such as a contact case, glasses, tissues, or medication are also important to keep in your carry on. For other entertainment ideas, games on your device that don’t require internet connection, and perhaps a pen and small pad of paper for journaling or doodling, and books are a great idea as long as they don’t take up much valuable space. That said, on a long flight it is recommended you try to sleep at least part of the time! You will be landing in a significantly different time zone and possibly a day later/earlier - for example, typically when flying from North America to Europe, you land the next morning or early afternoon, local time and you may want to be able to jump into sightseeing a bit that day before turning in.
ichor.
Admin Aide

AS Afflatus - Issue 24 - Member Interview

Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:36 am

Image x

1. What do you want to do for a career?
2. What's your dream car/transportation?
3. Do you see yourself getting married?
4. Which kind of canned beans are the best? (ranch style, baked, pork 'n beans, black beans, refried...)
5. Have you ever been fishing?
6. Have you hung anything on your walls? If so, what?
7. Do you have any favorite characters you love developing/writing for?
8. In your own words, describe your happy place.
9. Is there a smell or a flavor that brings back good memories?
10. What time of day do you favor most?
11. Do you have a favorite genre of book or movie?
12. What's a good book that you read recently and would recommend? Why?
13. What's a tv show that you have re-watched multiple times?
14. What's your favorite classic movie?
15. If you had a theme song, what would it be?
ichor.
Admin Aide

AS Afflatus - Issue 24 - Character Interview & Prompt

Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:37 am

Image x
1. Who confessed their feelings first?
2. Who would throw the other in the pool?
3. Who would accidentally set the kitchen on fire while cooking?
4. Who is the early bird? Who is the night owl?
5. What are the nickname(s) they have given each other?
6. Who pulls the other one closer when sleeping?
7. What small quirks do they love about each other?
8. Who runs up and hugs their partner while the other catches them?
9. What song best represents them?
10. Is there a 'mother hen' in the relationship and who?
11. What animal would they say their SO is like?
12. Is there a small thing that the one does that makes no difference in their life, but it bothers the other all the same?
13. What are some quirks that each overlook in each other?
14. How did you meet each other? Each character tell the story in their own words.
15. How do they show affection to each other?

x Prompt x
Pick one (1) of the two prompts.

“I never stood a chance, did I?”

or

“Did you hear that?”
ichor.
Admin Aide

AS Afflatus - Issue 24 - Member Corner

Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:38 am

Image x
Anonymous Unicorn wrote:Regarding otp quizzes/character interviews; would it be possible in the future to implement a small rule where members would have to write at least 2+ lines of text per question in order to get the full amount of points? It seems a bit unfair that people put less effort into what they post, and still get the same ten points as someone who puts much more effort, time, and thought into the interviews.
  • This is definitely something I've noticed and have thought about. I am glad you brought this matter up. I don't want to implement a "minimum" because some of the questions can be a bit tough to answer as they are unusual and sometimes things not often thought of. Even I, sometimes, struggle and cannot manage to write a detailed response to the question. The purpose of the interviews are to help with development. However, I do agree that it is unfair for some to do the bare minimum while others go all out. This will be discussed in depth and once a decision has been made, I will make sure to notify through the Afflatus.
Anonymous Unicorn wrote:Are we allowed to suggest songs for the prompts?
  • Absolutely! Preferably a lyric or two from it, but even just the entire song should be fine. If suggesting a song, link us to the song as well! Any kind of prompt goes!
Anonymous Unicorn wrote:Would it be possible to reopen the AS house quiz to the entirety of the site for those who no longer feel that their house no longer reflects their personality or how they've grown as a person, or whatever the reasons may be?
  • At the moment, we are choosing to not reopen the AS house quiz again. No significant changes has been made with the quiz recently. There was an opportunity in the recent past allowing members to retake the house quiz. This decision is made in order to prevent people from switching simply because they are unhappy with the house they are placed in or want to be with their friends. There may be an opportunity in the future to take the quiz again, but at the moment, the house quiz is not open to retakes. You can contact an admin if there is something going on within your house that you would like to discuss.
Anonymous Unicorn wrote:Even from a character development standpoint, questions about murder should not be normalized or taken lightly, as it is not an act to that is done or meant to be taken lightly. Would it be possible to reconsider those kinds of questions? Or at least re-word them so that they mean the same thing without sounding as dramatic or detrimental? i.e. asking 'who is someone your character would cut out of their life' rather then using the word 'murder'. Even if we're not talking about killing 'actual' people, the question still seems out of line and indecent.
Anonymous Kitsune wrote:I really enjoyed the darker theme of some questions from this issue. Not only was it interesting to think about my characters in a new way, it was also a very nice gesture to the few people who are known mostly for their angsty writing and darker themes in their stories. It'd be great if there could be a few of these in every or every other questionnaire (nothing too explicit or triggering, of course) but these really provide a lot more ways to develop our characters. Thank you for the great work on the Afflatus and how amazing it is!!
  • We hear you! At the same time, we know that some members particularly enjoy darker themes as this is a mature site. In the future, we will try to be mindful in how we phrase things so that they can be better enjoyed by all.
Anonymous Wyvern wrote:I used to have email notifications for my roleplays so I would know when a partner replied. but now, I never have any notifications pop up into my email. is this a known issue before/after the update?
  • That is indeed odd. Thank you for letting us know about the issue. We have contacted our site host to see what can be done about it and are waiting to hear back. Please shoot Thunder or Shep a PM to follow up to ensure that you receive a timely response to the issue! I don't want you to submit via the Afflatus and wait another month to get a response! Matters like these should be sent to a staff member's inbox so that they can be responded to quickly and efficiently!
Do you have ideas as to what you would like to see here? Don't be afraid to share through our google form!
ichor.
Admin Aide

AS Afflatus - Issue 24 - Featured Works

Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:38 am

Image x
what consumes me at night by cloud
Hidden text.
It's always in the dark when I get caught.
I often get trapped with my thoughts.
At night it's when I can see what's in my head
After a long day, it's what I always dread.

These thoughts have decided to stay.
They take the light out of my day.
As much as I try, they can't leave.
They're the reason why I grieve.

Sometimes I wish I could sleep all the time.
So I don't have to endure these thoughts of mine.
When I close my eyes, everything stands still.
Like a murder, my thoughts are killed.

I know the light within me will come soon.
Because I am the light, I'm like the moon.
We are both surrounded by the darkness and light.
At the end, we can both make anything bright.

The light and the dark are not a duet in my brain.
I know at the end only one of them will remain.

- Moonlight
spores by rosemary
Hidden text.
Spores tickled the air as if they were innocent pieces of dust. Carefree, they floated wherever they so pleased. Brave - to wander around the world without caution. Silence acted as a vacuum, creating a tight space which no one dared to shatter. Dot upon dot intertwined its soul with somebody else, never faithful to a singular speck. Through the gaps of the tattered potato sack, Sloane wondered if it only took one of the particles or many to relieve a person of what made them them. She hoped the two men dragging her through the splintered building, once the town’s city hall, were smart enough to wear a mask. What a pain in the ass that would be; her captors getting infected.

Broken furniture caught her legs as she was hauled away. She felt the strain over her arms tighten when she was hefted up a flight of glass caked stairs. They jabbed at her limbs. A rather large shard sank its way into her jeans, but abandoned ship when her knee clapped the next step. Sloane counted the breaths that came until she was deposited, chest first, onto the floor. She felt her lungs lose their precious treasure and imagined her breath as vapor seeping over the floor. The potato sack was ripped unkindly from her head.

Blinding light was revealed to her - spinning and swirling abstracts, struggling to piece together. One by one, the atoms of the foggy room stitched a feeble scene. She followed the boots in front of her nose until her eyes clawed over a face that filled her with twisted monsters who lived free of charge in her stomach. Through his rugged outlook - the beard, the bruises, the snags and tears on his clothes, he could inflict fear. She’d seen people piss themselves. Never her. Not even one shake had been paid to him by her hand. Perhaps that’s what he found so intriguing about her; the sheer resilience to a simple quiver of rightful fear.

“Sneaky little shit, ain’tcha? James and Howard say you’ve been hiding right under my nose this whole time. In that little community to the West. I should’ve known you’d be moronic enough to believe you’d be safe there. Guess I’ll just have to set that on fire, too.” Jonathan asked her. Wry pleasure had fish hooks stretching his mouth from either side. The way his balled fist rested against his cheek might have suggested adoration. Sloane kept his stony stare, unafraid of the mslice betraying that lopsided grin. Sloane struggled to right herself, relying on upper body strength. She twisted her hands, straining against the rope that bound them.
repeat all the things we did before by cassaroo
Hidden text.
paragraphthe ringing in his ears never seemed to stop, the sharp pains from where his leg had once existed becoming only a normal part of his every day life. never ending. never stopping. he could no longer rest - it was not as if he had been able to rest before the incident that had fucked his mobility. if it wasn't for that, he would have been on the front line, using his trusty, sharp-edged sword to cut down his enemies as effortlessly as he had just a few months ago. he could not admit that he was no longer fit for being a pirate - this was the only life he had known for the past ten years, and he was not about to give it up any time soon. many a time, sebastian had been labelled as a 'stubborn bastard', and he supposed at least he was living up to his alias.

paragraph"when are you going to give it up?"

paragraphof course, at a time like this, his mind would wander to the thought of the merman that had taken up more space in his conscious mind than he was ever willing to admit. that damned fucking merman. how was he to know that, appearing human to every sense of the word (all bar his blindingly white hair that seemed to catch the light in ways that coaxed it to shine beyond any gem sebastian had ever seen, and strikingly blue eyes that could have rivalled the intensity of the deep ocean), he had saved a merman from the brink of death? he despised the creatures more than words could convey, and he could barely fathom that he had been deceived by one to the point where he had genuinely thought he was a human for a whole week - up until his departure. his pleading for the pirate to have mercy, to not tell his crew about him for fear of his murder, and his imploring for him to return - all rang through his mind in a single chorus in a single moment. had he not been a callous and bitter man with a grudge against merfolk, sebastian might have stayed to keep the poor thing company for a short while, to stop his crying, to spare him even the tiniest scrap of reassurance that he would come back.

paragraphinstead, he had turned and walked away and left him in those golden sands to cry desperately to the ocean in his wake.

paragraphthat was not to say that there was no pull towards the merman; of course there was - he was still his soulmate, after all. he had never understood the true nature of a soulmate bond until the moment he realised that he had one. others had always described it as an irresistible urge to be with their other half at all times, overwhelmed with the feeling that they were not complete without them by their side. and until sebastian had met kai, he had never cared to understand; he had been more than content to spend the rest of his life without a soulmate, sailing the ruthless oceans with his faithful crew until the day he died. but that ideal seemed a world away, now; and all that the once ruthless and infamous pirate had to ruminate over in his spare moments was kai. of course, there were other pressing issues, but it pained him to say that he had let his mind stray to thoughts of the merman more than he would have been prepared to had he not met the arrogant ass that was apparently his soulmate. he could hardly ignore him now, when he had pulled his mind to thoughts of friendship and intimacy that seemed so far removed from his previous prejudices against them. it was not to say, however, that his opinions of merfolk had changed in the slightest; they most certainly had not, and he would still be glad to pull his trigger at any other merperson he stumbled upon - any other merperson except kai. he was growing soft, surely? looking back, he had forced the merman to his mercy - he could have shot him, right then, and put the bloody creature out of its misery - so why did the mere thought send shudders of dread down his spine?
letter by important
Hidden text.
Thumbs tracing over long dried ink, letters carefully spelling out her own name. Heavy parchment and an even heavier soul. How such a small envelope found it's place in her hands was beyond her, but she knew that counterpart of stubbornness all too well. Whether it was through connections or just plain magick, she couldn't be sure -- but there was one thing she knew for certain: its sender. Leleea didn't even have to open it to know that. The penmanship on the front was far too familiar for it to be coming from anyone other than her sister. Elegance and destruction. The two never able to co-exist without one holding dominion over the other. Being told from such a young age that she tainted all that she touched had affected her more than she even realised, especially when she got knocked down only for her parents to replace that spot on the pedestal with her own sister.

The day that Leleea had been cast from her home was a day that she wouldn't soon forget. Moreover, how her sister had done nothing but let it happen. All those pathetic tears and begging was for naught in the end. She was still kicked to the kerb like a beaten mutt, scorned from her community. Left to rot. She'd never be able to find work on the entire Isle, so she left. Branded as a monster from the beginning. So she started over, fled East.

She didn't know whether to open the envelope or to rip it in two, anger flashing through her in a wave of heat. In a quick breath she decided to go with the former, carefully sliding her finger under the flap and wiggling it under to open it. Pulling the letter out, her eyes flickered as she began to unfold it.

The three words marked across the top of the page was all she needed before she let her emotions roll over her. She couldn't pinpoint one -- no, it was a flood of anger, sadness, and that strikingly empty feeling in the pit of her heart. She wanted to scream. To lash out, hit something. Shaking from the overflow of too much with nowhere to go.

My dear sister.

Two faced and double-tongued liar. How dare she? Leleea suddenly stood up, seething, a quick motion with her wrist before a dagger found itself buried into the wood of her desk. Letter pinned between maple and steel. She couldn't stomach the rest of whatever the letter consisted of, whether it was asking for favours or begging for forgiveness. Leleea wanted none of that -- she only wanted to see one thing: the world to burn, with her sister being the first to fall.
ichor.
Admin Aide

AS Afflatus - Issue 24 - Activity Center

Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:39 am

Image x
After a nuclear disaster, a society of sorts has been built. The society has split itself up into four main sectors according to responsibilities. There is the agriculture sector, which provides food and the necessities for the society. The military sector that provides the society protection from whatever is outside the society's walls. The industrial sector builds things out of what the scouts and the agriculture sector provides them. In the center of it, the hub, where the medics and others reside.

Create a character for the given scenario. They can be from any sector. The form should include:

1. The basics (name, age, gender, etc)
2. Personality traits (can be brief description or list three positive, three negative, three neutral)
3. Character's role and sector
4. Brief history (can be bullet points)

Max of two characters can be created. Each character made will be 15 points for a grand total of 30 points possible. We hope you enjoy this activity!

Post on the thread!

Have suggestions for future activities? Don't be afraid to share through the google form!
ichor.
Admin Aide

AS Afflatus - Issue 24 - Anon Compliments & Critique

Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:40 am

Image x
Anonymous Unicorn wrote:rune. is an absolute treasure, and a very good friend, and they deserve the absolute world. They're writing style and tolerance for having many characters simply amazes me.
Anonymous Unicorn wrote:All I can really say about never is that she's the sweetest and most thoughtful friend anyone could ever ask for! They're very cheerful, and has a contagious positivity. I absolutely appreciate them, and all of the thought they put into what they do.
Anonymous Unicorn wrote:I've never really talked to kael., but they seem like an absolute sweetheart and a great writer/coder.
Anonymous Unicorn wrote:I love talking to Kami., whenever we do manage to talk. And I'm always super impressed by and proud of her writing, as well as the characters she creates.
Anonymous Unicorn wrote:thank you to osirian for being such a lovely person <3 you're always a bright spot in my life, and i'm very grateful we met !!
ichor.
Admin Aide

AS Afflatus - Issue 24 - Reminders & Point System

Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:40 am

Image x
Just a couple of reminders for the Afflatus! x
1. Any entry submitted through the Google form is worth 5 points. Things that will be submitted through the Google form are:

xxxxxxxa. Dear Stag submissions
xxxxxxxb. Prompt Suggestions
xxxxxxxc. Featured Works Nominations
xxxxxxxd. Anonymous Compliments
xxxxxxxe. Member Corner Submissions
xxxxxxxf. Question Submissions
xxxxxxxg. Suggestions/Questions for the Afflatus or site

2. Dear Stag can feature anything you want to ask. This can be writing tips, life tips, advice, and so forth. Keep in mind that the Afflatus is posted once a month, so things that need to be answered urgently are not best to submit. Additionally, we are not professionals, so heavy matters should be discussed with a trusted adult. We will do our best to answer each submission every issue, but may have to save other matters for later issues.

3. Dear Stag submissions should be submitted by the end of the second week of the month, so that there is enough time to provide an adequate response to the submission.

4. The Featured Works segment can feature anything from the site. Roleplays, characters, art, personal writing. When submitting a featured work, please include the member's url, the url to the post and post title, and state what it is that is being featured. I will notify users that their work has been featured.

5. When submitting an anonymous compliment, please include username and link to their profile. I notify these users after each issue is posted so that they know they've received a compliment and it makes it easy to track them down in case usernames are changed!

6. When posting submissions to the thread, please make sure the name of the submission is in the title. So, if it's a character interview, please mention that in the title. If it is an activity, please put that in the title. However, it is not a big deal if it is forgotten, though it can clear up any potential confusion.

7. Please post each submission to the thread in separate posts. This makes tallying points much easier.

8. Remember, you can post up to two (2) character interviews/otp quizzes per issue and only one prompt per issue.

9. You are welcome to submit anything to the Member Corner, within reason. Book reviews, recipes, and anything else you can think of. Not everything will be able to used, but will certainly still count for points and saved for future use! The Member Corner will also be used to address any feedback received through the Google form.

10. At the end of the month I will post the following on the thread: "Any posts made after this will not count towards points." I will be trying to stay consistent with this and plan on doing this on the last day of every month by 11:30 PM CST time. Please note that if this doesn't happen for a day (or more) then you can assume it's fair game to submit more things to the thread, since it is likely taking some time to get the next issue out. The Google form, however, will be closed the night before the next issue.
x Points System x Through Google Form

Dear Stag Submission ……………………....................................... 5 points
Featured Works Nomination ………………................................... 5 points
Future Prompt Suggestion ………………...................................... 5 points
Compliment Submission ………………......................................... 5 points
Member Corner Submission ………………................................... 5 points
Character Interview Question Submission (min 5) ……........... 5 points
Member Interview Question Submission (min 5) ……............. 5 points
Feedback Submission ……………….............................................. 5 points

Through Thread

Character Interview/OTP Quiz Submission ………… 10 points
Member Interview Submission ………...................… 10 points

Prompt Submission
0-500 words ………………………. 10 points
500-1000 words ………………….. 20 points
1000-2000+ words ……………….. 30 points

Activity Participation - will vary depending on level of difficulty