AS Afflatus: Issue Twenty-Five

Where you can find all published issues of the Advanced Scribes Afflatus, our very own newsletter!

Moderator: Admin Aide

ichor.
Admin Aide
House: Halcyon Keeper

AS Afflatus: Issue Twenty-Five

Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:08 am

Image x
If you are a new reader of the Afflatus, welcome! This magazine is meant to be interactive with our members, meaning submissions, suggestions, and nominations are encouraged! For each contribution to the Afflatus, points will be awarded to the house! Through this magazine, we aim to provide tips and inspiration as well as updates regarding the site. To make a submission, you can do so by using this form or even posting directly to the thread.

Submissions that are meant to be shown for the next issues are: Dear Stag, Featured Writing, & Anonymous Compliments/Critique.

Afflatus Contents: Title Post, Updates, Dear Stag, Member Interview, Character/OTP Interview & Prompt, Member Corner, Featured Works, Activity Center, Anonymous Compliments.

Current Staff/Team Members: Thunderofthedrum, Commander Shepard, Snow, Ichor, Lost, important, Cas, Smamm, morningstar, Kami, Blue, Cerise, Chemically Poisoned, sylver, gold. Here is our team page.
ichor.
Admin Aide

AS Afflatus - Issue 25 - Updates

Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:08 am

Image x
New Staff Members: In case you missed it, the AS team has expanded once again to fill some empty roles! Check out THIS announcement for more info and to welcome the new staff members!

New Admin Aides: On a similar note, ichor. and Snow have taken on exciting new roles as the new Admin Aides!

100 Days of Summer Event: We have now completed the first month of 100 Days of Summer! That means 30 out of the 100 prompts have been posted so far. As a reminder, you are welcome to join in late and still earn full points. The announcement explaining the event can be found HERE.

Issue 24 Totals:
x Halcyon - 300
Vipera - 195
Sagacitas - 130
Amaranthine - 50
ichor.
Admin Aide

AS Afflatus - Issue 25 - Dear Stag

Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:09 am

Image x
Dear Stag,
Everybody goes through this at least once in their life time. What are some common interview questions and the type of answers we should use?
- Anonymous Wyvern
  • This is a great question and you are definitely right - everyone goes through interviews at some point! There are some great online resources on this topic, so I have drawn from a few of those websites and added also from personal experience. Firstly, the overall goal is to sell yourself as a great candidate while still being honest. Don’t make up jobs or experiences you didn’t have, but on the other hand, it’s fine to be careful in your wording and find ways to turn things into positives. For example, if your field of studies have two main applications and you’ve mainly gotten work experience in one over the other, if you apply for a job that may focus on the application you have less experience in, you could try to sell it as being a fresh mind, eager to learn, and coming with a good foundation that’s looking for opportunities to expand more into this other area.

Also keep in mind - some skills can be taught, but others are more intuitive and unlikely to be learned. For example, if you know you don’t have experience in QUITE what the job is that you are applying for, analyze what else you have done and what it’s taught you. Maybe you are very comfortable with computers, but they listed one program you haven’t used before. Maybe it’s switching fields but still would have some customer interactions, and you have great customer service experience. There are definitely ways to tie in other skills to the job you are applying to! In addition to what you know, they want to gauge you as a person: Would you be a pleasant person to work with? Would you actually care about doing things correctly? Have a good attitude about learning? Adding a new personality to a team is a big deal - it’s important to get a good vibe from this person you may be working closely with for a few years or more.

Getting down to the meat of the topic at hand though…

One thing important to have prepared is wanting this particular job and why. Look up a little about the company or organization to show you didn’t just select this job out of a hat. Let them know “I really want this job and I’m excited to be considered; I think I’m a great candidate for X, Y, and Z reasons.”

Strengths and weaknesses. The key, particularly with the ‘greatest weakness’ question is to be HONEST, but also to turn it around a little. Show them how it’s not all bad, or what you are doing to improve. For a personal example, I am a VERY detail oriented person. I have excellent accuracy in my work and I like to get things right the first time. However, as a result of this I’m not the fastest and I tend to ‘miss the forest for the trees’, if you’ve heard that saying. So for me, I’m working to better keep a balance between the bigger picture/timeline and the individual tasks at hand. You can find other examples online, and figure out a way to bring up an honest shortcoming and what you are doing to improve. The interviewer’s goal is generally to see if you are someone who is self aware and reflects, and also to see if you actually try to improve yourself. Here is an example of an online article about this very topic.

Another common topic revolves around your accomplishments and struggles in the workplace. You may be asked about something you accomplished or achieved, such as making a process more efficient, landing a new client, or helping to improve the training procedures. What positive impact have you had elsewhere? Maybe you taught yourself something new and then taught it to your coworkers which helped you guys to get the job done better. Situations like helping others, increasing productivity or accuracy, customer service, finding and sharing new knowledge/skills, and more are all great things to bring up. Similarly, you might be asked about a time you were faced with a conflict or problem, and what you did about it. Maybe two coworkers had different ideas of how to go about a project. Maybe something you were working on failed. Maybe there was an irate customer and you knew they were wrong and therefore couldn’t give them what they were demanding. They want to see that you can handle some challenges, that you strive to find the best outcome, and are a team player. This is also a good opportunity to review the job posting for ‘soft skills’ (for example being a team player) and think of possible examples of you demonstrating these skills.

In some cases like more professional jobs, the potential employer may want to know why you are leaving your current job. In this case - don’t be super negative. Don’t badmouth your old job because it could make you look whiny, entitled, resentful, etc. It’s okay to be honest, but put a professional, positive spin on it. For example, you could say “I am really excited to work more with customers, and that job was primarily behind the scenes” (this would be appropriate if the job you are applying to deals with customers more - it would not be so appropriate if it does not meet this criteria you say you want). For a recent interview I had, I was asked this question. My response was that I was looking forward to a more regular schedule, that this company seemed to value learning and working together in a way I really liked, and that it would better utilize part of my education that I’m not currently using at all.

And, of course, be familiar with your resume and cover letter in case they bring up anything from it. It also doesn’t hurt to bring copies of each with you! And, if relevant, bring a portfolio.

Lastly, and probably my favorite, is to just share a little about yourself. Again, they want to get a decent vibe of who you are as a person, not just what’s on your resume. Whether you are a born and bred native of the area or just moved there, a couple neat and appropriate hobbies/interests, and how you enjoy spending your free time or what you like learning are great examples. In my case, I shared that I enjoy kayaking and camping, love to travel, am a native to that area, and have a pet rabbit that I love spending time with. Don’t spend too long on any one topic unless you are going to focus on one passion to share - if they are curious to hear a little more, they will ask.

There are many other questions an interviewer may ask, but these are the ones I saw written about the most on various websites. Here are two examples of informative websites to help in your interview prep!
Dear Stag,
Do you know of any advice or suggestions as to give a character a good back story/history but to also avoid cliches?
- Anonymous Wyvern
  • This is honestly a tough question to answer! In my opinion, almost anything can be considered a cliche. Every idea has probably been done at least once, right? I often find myself struggling in creating a unique character, story, idea, background, and so forth. What I personally tend to do is read and watch a lot of things! I especially find news and documentaries - or movies based on real events - particularly inspiring for character backstories and borrow ideas from there. But, of course that doesn't always work for everyone!

We did have a similar question in the twelfth issue of the Afflatus, so I want to link you to it and also reproduce some of the answer here (third question from the top):

It's always important to remember that your readers might feel different about this and some actually prefer reading a story they can relate to from their past experiences. While finding all of the known clichés is fairly difficult on its own, you can go around that, by:

1. Making a list of common clichés.
    2. Examining the outline or draft; does it contain any?
    3. Brainstorming ways to add your own slant to any common genre-specific trope you’ve used.

As for character-related clichés, we are all familiar with the exotic, wise, old 'other', who, as if by magic, has the key for the protagonist to reach their objectives or the Plain Jane who is magically transformed at 'the eleventh hour' to win the hunky hero's heart. Clichés come from stories that are published and they themselves are just too familiar to be seen as completely original stories. If you wish to get as far away from using clichés as possible, it would be best to not lean on any well-known plot while writing your personal piece or a reply for a roleplay, unless it is based on some created universe already. Before writing anything, you should settle down and think if you've seen it anywhere else to avoid clichés.

Additionally, we've also gathered some links that may provide a better, more in-depth answer and may help you in other areas of writing as well! Here they are:

33 Ways to Write Strong Characters
    1 Tip to Nail Your Character's Backstory
    5 Tips to Writing Character Backstories
    Building Better Backstories
ichor.
Admin Aide

AS Afflatus - Issue 25 - Member Interview

Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:10 am

Image x

1. What is your favorite color?
2. What was your favorite vacation?
3. What is your favorite music?
4. What is your favorite scent?
5. Do you have a favorite dessert?
6. What is your favorite holiday?
7. What’s your favorite line from a fictional character?
8. What’s your favorite writing spot?
9. What’s your favorite reading spot?
10. What’s your favorite genre to write?
11. What’s your least favorite genre to write?
12. What is your favorite memory?
13. What is your favorite animal?
14. What is your least favorite sound?
15. Who is your favorite author?
ichor.
Admin Aide

AS Afflatus - Issue 25 - Character Interview & Prompt

Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:11 am

Image x
1. How would your character feel about babysitting?
2. If your character had the chance to take the place of any character in a book, who would it be?
3. What does your character aspire to be?
4. What are your character’s goals for the future?
5. How does your character handle resolutions?
6. What is your character afraid of?
7. What is your character reluctant to tell people?
8. What is your character’s major flaws?
9. How does your character handle confrontation?
10. What is something your character can’t stand?
11. Who is someone your character can’t stand?
12. Does your character have any allergies? Are they life threatening?
13. Is your character religious? What religion? How strictly do they follow it?
14. If your character could redo a moment, what would that be?
15. How does your character show their significant other affection? Their friends?

x Prompt x
Pick one (1) of the two prompts.

“It’s been too long, my student. I have been waiting for this day ever since I have taken you under my wing. Now, you have finally come to kill me.”

or

paroxysm - (n). sudden outburst of emotion
ichor.
Admin Aide

AS Afflatus - Issue 25 - Member Corner

Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:12 am

Image x
Anonymous Unicorn wrote:
In regards to the issue someone brought up regarding the length of answers for interviews, I had a suggestion. Maybe there could be a break down like there is for the prompts? i.e. 2+ lines for each answer is an extra 5 points? Personally I have no problem with the way things are now, since most answers don't require an entire paragraph of text as a reply or you just end up rambling, but I understand it can be frustrating to some who write out longer answers. Just a suggestion as a happy medium for those upset about it!
We like this idea! We'll look into it and discuss it more before coming to a decision. Ultimately, as of now, it is up to each user how much they want to write and how much work they want to put into their interviews! At this time, we’ve tried to limit how much work and time are needed to tally up points as it is already completely manual, on top of putting together the new afflatus for every month. These are just meant to be fun little exercises to develop characters with questions that may not be thought of typically when creating a character!
Anonymous Wyvern wrote:
I REALLY enjoyed june's edition for the member activity. it was so much fun to do!!!
Glad to hear it and we hope to include it as an activity again sometime soon! If you guys have any scenario ideas, feel free to send them in and specify that it is for that purpose!
Anonymous Unicorn wrote:
On the topic of the darker questions that were included in the character interview in issue 23, I actually quite enjoyed them myself as well. I don't think the darker content was being "taken lightly/normalized" at all. We are a mature roleplaying site and as such we should all be able to recognize that fiction is not reality. Just because I have a character who would kill someone certainly does NOT mean that I think of murder as a perfectly normal and acceptable thing. I personally find it hard to understand why the wording was apparently such a huge problem? In my opinion, if your character wouldn't kill someone, put that down for the question and move on. Rewording the question to "Who is someone they would cut out of their life?" completely changes the meaning and there's plenty of us who joined AS /because/ it isn't like CS/other RP sites where you get crucified for posting anything that isn't strictly PG13. I don't think cutting this kind of content out would be fair to the rest of us, and I'm also 100% sure we all have morals and common sense that won't turn us into murderers (or anything else like that) because we read and answered a question for a fictional character of ours about who they would kill. I hope this didn't sound rude, because putting anyone down and belittling them isn't my intention. I'm simply... worried? I don't want AS to turn into a CS 2.0.
Yep, and you aren’t the only one to feel that way. You have a valid point that AS has prided itself on being as uncensored as possible. It’s always a delicate balance to try to respect everyone’s conscience and preferences. We do want to continue including some darker themes as we know these really do appeal to some and encourage them to dig deep into their characters, but we will also be making more of an effort to be mindful at least - we have no intention of throwing out super dark or violent content for no reason!
Anonymous Phoenix wrote:
Can we get another house keeper? NeverNever was so awesome I miss her...
Yes! We are sad to have lost NeverNever and know that Amaranthine members have had a really rough time of it. We have been getting back to brainstorming how to handle this, and as always, ideas are welcome.
Anonymous Unicorn wrote:
When will the AS survey results be posted? The survey ended a long time ago already and I am curious about the result.
We are actively working on the AS survey results! The main hiccup has been that the website we used, while awesome for making the survey and collecting responses, requires a paid membership in order to export the results as data (and it’s surprisingly expensive). At the moment it looks like we’ll be limited to screenshots of the numbers and graphs the website displays to the account holder. We’ve also been deciding on a system - whether to post all at once, post a portion at a time for discussing, etc. We’ve created a rough draft and with any luck will be able to share it come the next afflatus. Bless you guys for having patience and bearing with us.
Anonymous Unicorn wrote:
Dear staff. I just want to compliment you for how the downtime has been handled. It was nice to be kept in the loop on social media and I know (feel) as if staff has been online as much as possible to cater to PMs etc. I just want to say, good job, all of you. I appreciate it that it got fixed quickly <3
Thank you!! Those words are appreciated. I (Thunder) was also really pleased to see the team work together to communicate amongst themselves and also work to share the news and following updates with everyone as best we could. Luckily Ellimist was able to fix that one, and members did a great job of letting us know when there was one thing still not working so that he could take care of it!

The entire staff just wants to say that we appreciate these nice little messages so much ❤ Thank you!
Do you have ideas as to what you would like to see here? Don't be afraid to share through our google form!
ichor.
Admin Aide

AS Afflatus - Issue 25 - Featured Works

Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:13 am

Image x
Together by LoneShadowCat
Hidden text.
Don't jump to conclusions
Don't slip through the cracks
Spin right 'round and figure this out

You say go and I say stay
How else can we bring the roof down
On this place we never cared to protect

It's all burning now
Burning right down to the ground
Right back where we started
Without a thought of what was lost

Can't you hear it yet?
I only wanted you safe at home
But you cared too much
To let me go it alone

Now we're stuck here together
Between one age and the next
Between one life and another
Do you still want to go?
When there's nowhere left to go

This time things will be different
I'll say follow and you'll take the lead
We'll carry on through the storm
Side by side or hand in hand
Doesn't matter what form we take

No running away now
Someday maybe we'll hide away
From this world we created
But today we'll find a way

Even if tomorrow's our last
I won't regret this moment
You finally caught the real me,
I finally saw the real you,
And beyond that nothing ever mattered
it is never too late to by wise by hyena
Hidden text.
Warren hit the ground with a hard thump, his practice sword clattering against the stony ground besides him. Tears swelled in the young boy’s eyes as he felt the stings of the abrasions on his palms from the graveled earth as he brought a split knuckle to his mouth, nursing away the blood that was there. From the dirt he looked up, shy and nervous, eyes flitting fearfully on Alstair’s clouded expression.

He couldn’t make out the emotions behind his master’s darkened eyes, the older thief’s visage far from blank but even further from decipherable. The boy was certain that it was thinly veiled disappointment, certain to break to the surface any moment now. Alstair still held his own wooden practice sword, having fallen to his side after the parry that had knocked Warren off of his feet. Instead of reaching out a hand to pull his apprentice off of the dusty and greyed earth, he stayed where he was; an even surer sign of the displeasure to Warren. The silence was growing heavy now; the clacking of his sword having now faded, leaving only the distant brushing of fall leaves in the distance.

“What are you doing, Warren?” Though there was no bite audible in Alstair’s voice, Warren knew his master’s tone was far from pleasant. Alstair was skilled at hiding frustration, but not at replacing the emotional void created by that omission. Instead, his timbre was simply flat, emotionless; empty and yet all to telling. Warren couldn’t even get out a squeaky response, blinking quickly to try to staunch the tears that threatened to flow. His master let out a slight huff, clearly not happy with that answer.
Spurious by Deer
Hidden text.
He had never felt so furious, and that said something. It wasn’t unusual for Dan to grow angry, but today he had to do his best to not murder the man in front of him in the most awful way he could imagine. And the worst thing was, that Dan knew that the moment he would cave in to the thought, Faye and Lance would be happy to assist him.

The second in command had waited for his sister to be safe and sound within the perimeters of her bedroom. He didn’t need her to get to hear anything of it, as he knew how she adored this man he was about to confront. But the simple truth was that Frank wasn’t good for Serena. He was a spurious person, never able to be completely truthful with Serena. And Dan knew that his sister deserved better than that. She deserved someone who appreciated her and not just took her for granted. Even if the girl was so in love that she didn’t see Frank’s flaws, her family was here to take care of her.

The moment Frank came into sight, Dan didn’t hesitate to step straight in front of him. His hand was already reaching up to grasp the man by his neck, pressing him violently against the wall. “Listen, you dick. I know what you are up to. I see right through you. Right through your disguise. You are nothing but spurious, and my sister doesn’t deserve a dick like you. She deserves much better.” Dan said, only seeing Frank’s wicked grin staring back at him. “She loves me, Daniel. You better get used to that.” he said, causing for Dan to toss the man against the wall on the opposite side of the hallway. His face moved closer to Frank’s, eyes staring straight at his as Dan was everything but calm. “I will tear you down. You are up to no good. And you may think you can fool everyone, but you can’t. We all see right through that disguise of yours.”
anguish by important
Hidden text.
"I'm so sorry," the sorceress whispered, never once looking up from her feet.

"You're not," her sister replied bluntly, slamming the wardrobe shut. Eleea winced at the sudden sound in the quiet space, teeth worrying her lower lip.

"Please," she begged, finally lifting her head up to gaze at her twin. To her surprise, Leleea was already staring at her, a cold look on her face.

"Please what? Forgive you? Tell you that I don't blame you? I can't, because I do blame you, and I will never forgive you. You betrayed me when I trusted you the most, out of anyone. If you can't realise just how much you've hurt me, then you will never be worthy of forgiveness." Her hand dipped into a folded cloth, Leleea dumping the contents onto the desk. "I hope everyone in this town rots," she spat, turning heel and storming out of the room.

Dread and anguish as twins weighed heavily upon her heart, Eleea daring herself to glance at just what her sister had set upon their once shared desk. There, a lone skull sat, orb-less eyes peering up into the heavens, mouth parted yet unspeaking. She knew exactly what it was, and what it meant. She'd be lucky to ever hear her own sister's name ever again, let alone see her.
temeritea! courage in a mug! by python regius
Hidden text.
They had been awake for what felt like ages, but the night was still young. Avery sat at the kitchen counter while Hunter lounged on the living room couch, head resting on one armrest with his feet propped on the other. His black hair was greasy, and he was lazily smoking a cigarette, reminded to extend his arm and tap it against an ashtray only when he felt the brush of hot ash down his hand. Alcohol was Avery's choice of distraction. Half a glass of whiskey sat in front of him, the glass loosely held by his curled hand.

The house was painfully quiet around them and quickly growing dark. Neither rose from their seat to turn on a light or a radio even though the silence was doing nothing to aid their wakefulness. There were two important trades being made that night, and Avery insisted on being ready to go if something went sour. Avery's hand shook as he raised the glass to his lips, and he knew he would momentarily if they didn't do something besides sitting around.

"Let's steal them," Avery suggested abruptly. It took a few moments for Hunter's head to turn so Hunter could look at him, and a few moments more before the man spoke. "I'm going to need a bit more than that," Hunter said flatly. Stealing something wasn't completely out of the question, but he was going to need a better idea of what they were stealing before he could make that decision. "The dogs."
ichor.
Admin Aide

AS Afflatus - Issue 25 - Activity Center

Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:13 am

Image x
This month, we are reflecting on those important in our lives. The family we chose - those special people we call our friends. The activity for July is to write a poem about one of your closest friends. This could be as short as 3 lines (haiku) or as long as you want! There is no requirement for poem type or style, as long as you show a bit of effort.

You can write up to two (2) poems. Each will be worth 10 points. A total of 20 points total is possible for this activity! Post the poem to the thread!

x
Have suggestions for future activities? Don't be afraid to share through the google form!
ichor.
Admin Aide

AS Afflatus - Issue 25 - Anonymous Compliments

Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:15 am

Image x
Anonymous Unicorn wrote:i love love love you baby kami so much!! you are so sweet to me, and always provide me with support, love, and a shoulder to cry on when i need. i love ranting and venting with you, and every time we talk i always get so happy. you're the bestest friend i could ever ask for ❤
Anonymous Unicorn wrote:I just want to give a shout out to our lovely roleplay moderators, Kami and Blue! The work they are doing is often behind the scenes, and I think they are doing a wonderful job! Please keep up the cool and stay awesome!
Anonymous Unicorn wrote:Yo Kami! I am so glad we got the band back together man. I enjoy talking to you and sprouting my randomness in your face. I'm glad we picked up our roleplay again as I did miss it! Here is to a whole lot of adventures for us to come <3 Stay awesome, my potato. We are jamming this.
ichor.
Admin Aide

AS Afflatus - Issue 25 - Reminders & Point System

Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:15 am

Image x
Just a couple of reminders for the Afflatus! x
1. Any entry submitted through the Google form is worth 5 points. Things that will be submitted through the Google form are:

xxxxxxxa. Dear Stag submissions
xxxxxxxb. Prompt Suggestions
xxxxxxxc. Featured Works Nominations
xxxxxxxd. Anonymous Compliments
xxxxxxxe. Member Corner Submissions
xxxxxxxf. Question Submissions
xxxxxxxg. Suggestions/Questions for the Afflatus or site

2. Dear Stag can feature anything you want to ask. This can be writing tips, life tips, advice, and so forth. Keep in mind that the Afflatus is posted once a month, so things that need to be answered urgently are not best to submit. Additionally, we are not professionals, so heavy matters should be discussed with a trusted adult. We will do our best to answer each submission every issue, but may have to save other matters for later issues.

3. Dear Stag submissions should be submitted by the end of the second week of the month, so that there is enough time to provide an adequate response to the submission.

4. The Featured Works segment can feature anything from the site. Roleplays, characters, art, personal writing. When submitting a featured work, please include the member's url, the url to the post and post title, and state what it is that is being featured. I will notify users that their work has been featured.

5. When submitting an anonymous compliment, please include username and link to their profile. I notify these users after each issue is posted so that they know they've received a compliment and it makes it easy to track them down in case usernames are changed!

6. When posting submissions to the thread, please make sure the name of the submission is in the title. So, if it's a character interview, please mention that in the title. If it is an activity, please put that in the title. However, it is not a big deal if it is forgotten, though it can clear up any potential confusion.

7. Please post each submission to the thread in separate posts. This makes tallying points much easier.

8. Remember, you can post up to two (2) character interviews/otp quizzes per issue and only one prompt per issue.

9. You are welcome to submit anything to the Member Corner, within reason. Book reviews, recipes, and anything else you can think of. Not everything will be able to used, but will certainly still count for points and saved for future use! The Member Corner will also be used to address any feedback received through the Google form.

10. At the end of the month I will post the following on the thread: "Any posts made after this will not count towards points." I will be trying to stay consistent with this and plan on doing this on the last day of every month by 11:30 PM CST time. Please note that if this doesn't happen for a day (or more) then you can assume it's fair game to submit more things to the thread, since it is likely taking some time to get the next issue out. The Google form, however, will be closed the night before the next issue.
x Points System x Through Google Form

Dear Stag Submission ……………………....................................... 5 points
Featured Works Nomination ………………................................... 5 points
Future Prompt Suggestion ………………...................................... 5 points
Compliment Submission ………………......................................... 5 points
Member Corner Submission ………………................................... 5 points
Character Interview Question Submission (min 5) ……........... 5 points
Member Interview Question Submission (min 5) ……............. 5 points
Feedback Submission ……………….............................................. 5 points

Through Thread

Character Interview/OTP Quiz Submission ………… 10 points
Member Interview Submission ………...................… 10 points

Prompt Submission
0-500 words ………………………. 10 points
500-1000 words ………………….. 20 points
1000-2000+ words ……………….. 30 points

Activity Participation - will vary depending on level of difficulty