AS Afflatus: Issue Twenty-Nine

Where you can find all published issues of the Advanced Scribes Afflatus, our very own newsletter!

Moderator: Admin Aide

morningstar
Archivist
House: Vipera

AS Afflatus: Issue Twenty-Nine

Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:53 pm

Image x
If you are a new reader of the Afflatus, welcome! This magazine is meant to be interactive with our members, meaning submissions, suggestions, and nominations are encouraged! For each contribution to the Afflatus, points will be awarded to the house! Through this magazine, we aim to provide tips and inspiration as well as updates regarding the site. To make a submission, you can do so by using this form or even posting directly to the thread.

Submissions that are meant to be shown for the next issues are: Dear Stag, Featured Writing, & Anonymous Compliments/Critique.

Afflatus Contents: Title Post, Updates, Dear Stag, Writing & Life Tips, Character Interview & Prompt, Member Corner, Featured Writing, Adventure Story, Activity Center and Anonymous Compliments and Critique.

Current Staff/Team Members: Thunderofthedrum, Commander Shepard, Snow, Ichor, important, Cas, Smamm, morningstar, Deer, Kami, Blue, Cerise, sylver, gold. Here is our team page.
morningstar
Archivist

AS Afflatus - Issue 29 - Updates

Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:54 pm

Image x
Art Event: The Art Event has concluded! Please check out the announcement HERE and enjoy some of the work, featured within this month’s afflatus.

National Novel Writing Month: Our next event is National Novel Writing Month, affectionately known as NaNoWriMo! It begins today, so if you are interested please hop on over to the announcement HERE to get the information you need to join.

Social Media: The social media is on hiatus until 2020! As we have not had much participation, we want to take this time to evaluate and adjust the event to better interest users.

New Theme: We have a new theme! Please check out THIS announcement by our Overseer to learn about it and how to try it out.

Survey Results: Results from the AS Survey at the beginning of the year are fully reviewed and posted! See the thread HERE, and please note that we welcome discussions!

New Sub-Forum: We have a new area for site-related discussions. The survey results thread has been posted there, along with a few other existing threads. Please check them out and see what feedback you’d like to contribute! We encourage the userbase to post on the threads to open discussions!

Issue 28 Totals:
x Halcyon - 295
Vipera - 70
Sagacitas - 275
Amaranthine - 20
morningstar
Archivist

AS Afflatus - Issue 29 - Dear Stag

Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:54 pm

Image x
Dear Stag,
How do you deal with disappointment?
- Anonymous Unicorn
  • One really important thing is to give yourself a break; People are built in such a way that they can be disappointed by everything, be it work, school, grades, love, etc. It's a must to take a step back and look at it from the side-lines, as well as to accept and recognise the problem. If you're upset by a bad grade, work out what went wrong (Didn't understand the work? Didn't study enough? Missed lectures/classes? The topic is too hard?) and do what you can to deal with it and fix it!

Even if the problem can't be fixed, it isn't healthy to blame yourself! Give yourself a break, go get a cookie and some tea, watch a movie or play a game. Be sure to take care of yourself and remember that life won't crumble because of one thing going wrong - you can always move on.

Learning to accept that disappointment is natural and that it happens sometimes is vital; you can't let it control you.

It's also good to listen to yourself; stop for a moment and analyse what you think would help you feel better in the moment. If you think that having a nice dinner with friends or going out is best, do that. If your mind tells you that the best way to cope with the disappointment is to put on a nice face mask, jump into a hot bath, and start reading the book you've wanted to for a while, do that. If the disappointment is so overwhelming that at first, you want to withdraw and cry for a bit, there's no shame in doing that to let it all out either. Though in that last scenario, it's also important to differentiate the temporary sulking that gives you relief and helps you move on and the "constant" sulking that traps you and stops you from moving on. I know that that can be pretty damn difficult, but it's necessary!

I hope that helps; everyone gets disappointed sometimes, and that's ok!!
Dear Stag,
What are your top tips for organising school notes?
- Anonymous Kitsune
  • Ah! I love school themed questions!

For me, the first thing to do is identify what kind of learner you are; there are tests online to do so, but sometimes just going over what helps you the most studying can also give you insight into what helps you! For me, highlighting and colours honestly do nothing, it's more the repetition of re-reading neat notes, or talking through them that help me. So, your first port of call should be to ensure you know what is best!

Having folders divided by subject always helped me; in Secondary School, I had a folder for each subject I was studying, and then within that, I had tabs for each topic within that subject. It made it very easy to look for what I needed, and, when it came to revising for exams, I already knew where everything was.

Another useful thing to do is only write down the necessary things! When you're making notes, don't just write down everything - it makes it super hard, later on, to organise your notes into something digestible. Instead, just write out what you find helpful or what you know will come up later on in exams, therefore already helping to keep your notes concise and organised!

If you're the sort to colour code, pick a colour for each subject - some people find colour associations make it super easy to remember things for each class! E.g. Maths might be orange, and English is blue - stick to those colours for any accents in your work, the folders you use, the highlighter colours you pick. It might help!

One thing I stand by is filing and sorting your notes the day you make them. I do this, and it makes it super easy to both remain organised but also to remember things. Rehashing notes the day you make them by organising them and filing them not only ensures that everything is neat, but also that your brain is retaining all the information. This is my best tip for organising school notes!

Lastly, a great way to organise your school notes and get key information down is to write them in conjunction with sites such as Quizlet or SparkNotes, or through comparing with the notes of a classmate, or even by using your textbook! Whilst the information there isn't always accurate, looking at the work of another person can often help you see what might be less useful in your work, or give you ideas you hadn't thought of. Looking at the work of someone else is, for me, one of the best ways to ensure my notes are on track.

I hope some of this helped!
Dear Stag,
how do I get back into roleplaying? I have anxiety about asking my old rp partners because of ghosting them because of real-life problems.
- Anonymous Unicorn
  • I've had the same experience before, so I know exactly how you feel! Sometimes it's really hard to approach people after a long time has passed. If you explain the situation and why you ghosted them (real-life commitments), a lot of people are really understanding - some of them might not with to restart RPing with you, but extending an olive branch and messaging them is the best way to see! It's scary, but bullying is not permitted on AS, so the worst answer you can get is 'no'!

It is possible to get a reignited flame with old partners - I have! It does take the bravery of sending the first message explaining! But often, people are simply excited to RP something they enjoyed in the past.

If you want to jump into new RP's, have a poke through the listings thread! Some people have mini advertisements posted in the thread, others have their own threads listed showing their entire search. You can look for someone through these, or make your own with your interests to look for new people to RP with! Here is the link to the sub forum if you want to post a thread, and here is the link if you just want to peruse the advertisements - or make your own! This way, you can explain whether you want people who won't expect weekly posts, or if you want something fast-paced. You should be able to find the ideal partner this way!

I hope that helped!!
Dear Stag,
Sometimes I get caught up in a moment of nostalgia. It makes me long for things that have once been and will most likely never be again. Do you have any tips on how to deal with these moments?
- Anonymous Unicorn
  • Hi! Thank you for your question; that's a really tough thing to be dealing with.

The biggest and most important thing to recognise is if these feelings are helping you or hurting you. In some cases, it can be good to think back on the past; you can relive good moments, and notice that in some ways, your life may have changed for the better. It enables you to see how you've grown as a person, and what you could have done differently.

Sometimes, looking back on such moments brings more harm than good; you need to be able to differentiate between the two to ensure that you aren't doing yourself unnecessary harm, and also in helping you deal with such feelings.

Depending on what kind of person you are, there are many different ways to deal with it. Do you handle things better through confrontation, talking, or distraction?
    For distraction techniques, this allows you to focus your mind on anything and everything that isn't your own thoughts. This can be 'busy work', such as drawing, writing, colouring, playing video games, reading, focusing on work/school, cleaning.
    Another good idea - if you think it would help - is to keep a journal, write down your emotions, what you're thinking about - everything - and at the end of the week, month, year, or however long you see fit, you can look back through the journal and see how much personal growth you've achieved!
    Another good idea is colouring apps - one member of staff suggested 'paint therapy', an app where every picture is free and you can paint!
    Writing is another good idea - if you have an idea, just start. It doesn't matter if it's fantastic, or if you can't focus on details - just putting down words will allow you to get into a different mindset. Same with video games; games that allow you to play as someone else entirely and immerse yourself in their world can be wonderfully distracting. Relaxing games or story-driven - whichever you enjoy the most!
    Cooking and cleaning can also be very good at distracting; turn on some music, get out whatever you need, and do something productive. It helps get your mind off things whilst also giving you something at the end of it - a clean house or a nice meal!

If distraction doesn't work for you, it may help to talk it out with someone you trust. A friend, SO, or family member - sometimes the best medicine is to get it off of your chest. The other person can offer support and advice, allowing you to see the situation through their eyes, and not just your own.

If you are confrontational; if you feel like you're missing something, and it would feel good to reach out, do so! Over time, people and situations change. Someone can treat a situation with more maturity than they once had. This is, of course, only advisable if you know it was not a dangerous situation and would not cause you any harm.

Most importantly, take care of yourself!!

I hope this helped some!
morningstar
Archivist

AS Afflatus - Issue 29 - Member Interview

Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:55 pm

Image x

1. Would you rather be stranded on a desert island with someone you love for ten years, or someone you hate for a month? Explain why.
2. Why did you join AS?
3. Have you ever dyed you hair?
4. Do you fidget when your nervous?
5. What do you want to be doing in 5 years?
6. If you could be a goat, what breed of goat would you be?
7. What are your current top five songs?
8. What’s the most recent show you’ve binge watched?
9. Which apocalyptic dystopia do you think is most likely?
10. What product or service is way more expensive than it needs to be?
11. Do you drink alcohol? If yes, what is your favourite drink? If not, what is your reason for not drinking and how do you feel being in the company of your friends when they are drinking/drunk?
12. Do you have a bedtime routine? What about a morning routine? Describe them.
13. At what age do you think you were the happiest so far?
14. If money was of no importance and it wouldn't negatively affect you in any way, shape, or form, how differently would you dress and present yourself in public?
15. If you could transform one single kind of animal to make them the size of horse and make them rideable, what animal would you choose?
morningstar
Archivist

AS Afflatus - Issue 29 - Character Interview & Prompt

Image x
1.If they could become a flavour of Jam, what would it be?
2.If they could turn into a snake, would they be venomous or not?
3. Is you character an internet user?
4. Are they a lover, or a fighter?
5. Does your character believe in a religion? Why/Why not?
6. How comfortable are they with touching strangers, and how comfortable are they with being touched by strangers?
7. How do they feel about complete silence? Do they find it relaxing, or unnerving?
8. What is the first thing they do after waking up and getting out of bed?
9. If they were a teacher, what subject/s would they teach?
10. What do they consider to be their most attractive physical feature?
11. What is their favourite dinosaur?
12. What big-bang theory character would they identify themselves with?
13. If they would be a superhero, what superhero would they be?
14. What is their favourite board game?
15. If they were to sign up for volunteering work, what kind of work would they like to do?

x Prompt x
Pick one (1) of the two prompts.

The 13th zodiac sign

or

predictable
morningstar
Archivist

AS Afflatus - Issue 29 - Member Corner

Image x
Anonymous Unicorn wrote:
Just curious on when we will get the AS survey results? While I understand it's a large task, members have been waiting quite some time now with promises of it coming soon.
Those have been posted now - you can view them here! We understand how hard it is to wait for survey results - and we apologise for the wait, but we wanted to make sure everything was laid out and presented as well as it could be, whilst also taking time to as a group look at what we can do to improve before we posted the results. I hope you enjoy reading them!!
Anonymous Kitsune wrote:
i um, keep hearing that there is an as discord? is that true, or, is that just a rumor?
There isn't an official one! We can't exactly monitor that and keep it safe, so we don't have one. There may well be a user-created one out there, but I am not aware of it!
Anonymous Kitsune wrote:
HI! I submitted the recipe for roast potatoes an afflatus or so ago, and now I want to pose the question to everyone from AS, do you like your meat rare, welldone, or something else? its veryn important to know where you stand on meat and potatoes ;)
Recipes are always welcome in the afflatus! And, I imagine if users want to answer your question, they can do so within the Member Interview!
Anonymous Kistune wrote:
what about an activity that is like, collaborative? say everybody who wants to join in collaboratively writes a story, like, make a thread for it, mornigstar canot start it off with a paragraph and users can attach a paragraph on to it and see what wacky story we can come up with! idk if this makes sense but it came into my head and thought i would share!!
I really, really like this idea! I've been thinking about how to make it work - I think point distribution is probably the biggest problem with an idea like that! However, I think that this is a fantastic idea and I really want to try and make it work! Thank you so much for your suggestion!
Anonymous Wyvern wrote:
Would you consider doing the group roleplay as part of the yearly site competition ever again? While there was some hiccups with users not being active or dropping out entirely, I thought it was a fun way to meet new people and work together for a common goal.
I also really enjoyed this idea, and I have again been looking at it trying to see when to implement it, and how to best make it work. Staff are looking into it to see if it can be implemented again! Rest assured that your idea has been taken on board, and I really want to run something like that in the new year!!
Anonymous Wyvern wrote:
For the next afflatus activity, can we make a moodboard/museboard for an rp we are participating in or possibly for inspiration for nanowrimo?
This was another suggestion that I really enjoyed! So much so that I'm using it as the activity for this issue. Thank you so, so much for the suggestion!!

Do you have ideas as to what you would like to see here? Don't be afraid to share through our google form!
morningstar
Archivist

AS Afflatus - Issue 29 - Featured Works

Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:56 pm

Image x
━ pochemuchka ━ by important
Hidden text.
At this point in time, Leleea had spent just enough time around her crew to know exactly what each of them was like. She'd grown close to all of them -- even little Za'ji had grown on her. Despite this, however, there was always a few quirks that he carried that irked her to the bone. A grown khajiit, sure, but he was by far the most childish person she'd ever met. Za'ji's immaturity trumped even that of the Skooma Cat (another interaction that she'd loathed). At half her own height, he had enough stupidity, naive bravado, and foolishness of a creature ten times his size.

It seemed all Za'ji was interested in was bragging rights. Moon-Singers this, Moon-Singers that. In moderation, it was tolerable. Leleea could smile, turn a cheek, and move on. But that was the thing about Za'ji -- he didn't do anything in moderation.

The Dagi had taken to sitting on the railing of the wooden structure in the Sanctuary, legs swinging idly over the horrendous drop. Caska and Leleea sat together nearby, the Senche-raht stretched over the rug and Leleea perched on the sofa. Ever watchful of the little khajiit -- though it seemed Caska couldn't really care less if Za'ji were at risk of plummeting or not. And on and on and on he went, talking about everything to no one. Caska gave an annoyed flick of her tail, a pointed gaze cast over to the Altmer, head tipping towards where Za'ji was stationed. "Do this one a favour," she began, swiping a large paw over the rug, "and get him to be quiet." Leleea heaved a sigh, rolling herself up into an upright position on the seat, intentionally knocking Caska with the heel of her boot, offering her a sly grin.

"Wish me luck," she mused, heaving herself off of the couch and moving over to where Za'ji was sitting. The necromancer languidly stretched over the railing next to him, arms reaching out, legs pushed back as her weight was supported by the beams.

"Oh, hero!" he called out excitedly, scrambling off from the wood, clutching the railing from his new position on the ground. Legs still stuck out, hanging over the drop, but at least he was no longer at risk of falling. "We are hunting dragons now -- that's our job. Do you remember when Za'ji killed the dragon? Fell right from the sky -- thanks to this one's well-placed shot! Oh, you should have been there to see it, walker!" Leleea smiled, her head shaking.

"I don't suppose you had help?" It was a light jest, but it would help for him to realise every now and again that he could never have done this on his own. Lest the fool run headlong into battle by himself and get killed. No one wanted that, even with all of the teasing that they wouldn't be averse to such a thing. Za'ji tipped his head a bit, sighing almost defiantly.

"Well, yes, Za'ji supposes he had help. But it was he who brought the mighty dragon down!" The necromancer couldn't help but to find how he pronounced the word "dragon" as endearing -- dragon. Over-dramatic and flashy, but very adorable. "Do you think Nahfahlaar is okay? Why do you think he flew away from us? Why would he go alone without help? This one does not doubt the might of a dragon, but surely believes he should have waited for our help. Do you think Big Beard will allow this one to come with you when you go to find him? What is Nahfahlaar's end goal here? Why is here? What does he want?" The onslaught of questions was followed by a flurry of his kicking feet, words spoken so quickly that Leleea was taken aback immediately, unable to pick up any of that nonsense.

"Nahfahlaar..." she began, sighing, "What's important is that we have the mask. Ra'khajin is dead, and that is enough. I have faith in Nahfahlaar. If he believes he's made the correct decision, then I have no fear. Though Sai and I do still wish to find him. You ask too many questions, Za'ji. Rest, now, okay? You've had a long day, and have done wonderful deeds. What will happen, will happen, yes?"
ɪ. ᴛᴀᴄᴇɴᴅᴀ by Kami
Hidden text.
paragraphGrey eyes swept over the bleak, desolate fields, earnestly hunting for even the slightest fragment of life. Her gaze flickered over to the pair ahead of her, focusing briefly on their unusually amicable chatter, then drifting again to survey the once-marvellous gardens. Only when someone sat down on the ground did she look at the intruder, indifferent eyes peering into cheerful orbs of turquoise. The pale-haired girl in front of her had seen only a single winter more than her and yet, that peaceful expression was filled to the brim with knowledge and wisdom. Both things she herself was unable to possess.
paragraph"Your brother is a good man," the woman spoke quietly, sparing a quick glance at the older elf. "You are very lucky to have him, Lilith."
paragraphThe thinnest of smiles pulled at the corners of her lips, but she didn't answer. Only nodded in understanding, revealing that she knew well enough about the importance of her sibling's presence. After all, it was Lilith, who had spent most of her days looking up at his golden eyes, frowning, whenever an unfamiliar scar joined the chaotic ensemble of the ones already mapping his face. She alone stopped in her tracks and gazed upon his tired body, praying to their many gods for his safe return. And when he left, disappearing into the horizon, Lilith quietly wept with no tears streaming down her cheeks.
paragraph"But I did not call you out here for a lecture," the youth laughed at her friend's thoughtful gaze, pushing a couple of strands of ashen hair from the other's face. Her smile grew as Lilith's cheeks darkened, grey eyes moving away. "I wanted to talk about something important. A problem, that has been eating me from the inside for months. It comes as a fire which grows into a blazing inferno, destroying everything inside my mind—"
paragraphA tame hand resting on the youth's shoulder interrupted her words, earning a curt breath from the turquoise-eyed woman. Even though she wasn't used to seeing such a genuine expression on her friend's face, it came as a wave of peace, that calmed her racing heart. With a muffled chuckle escaping her lips, she covered Lilith's fingers with her own, giving them a light squeeze; even if the other failed to understand, all would be okay. They sat on the ground for what seemed like hours, holding onto each other somewhat desperately. There was no need for words. And when those elegant fingers slipped off of her shoulder, it didn't feel like a loss. For the warmth of Lilith's unyielding support was present, enveloping the older woman in a thin layer of safety.
paragraph"Speak and I will listen, Lena," the younger girl reassured, glancing down at her lap. "Whatever doubts plague you, I will hear them."
paragraphThere was a pause, after which a smile came. It felt as if Lena would never begin her story, opening her mouth and closing it numerous times, but not a single sound escaped past her lips. But while the older elf fought with her inner uncertainty, not one complaint was heard the other woman.
paragraph"My mother," she eventually began, doing everything in order not to cast her gaze on Lilith. "You do remember meeting her, correct?"
paragraph"I do. Madam Kelquinal is the embodiment of beauty and a powerful matriarch. Only fools would choose to be a nuisance to her."
paragraph"Of course, you would think so," Lena's chuckle was somewhat bitter and forced, almost as if she didn't feel like laughing. "Perhaps, that can explain why I am so like my father; patient, tolerant, meek. Maybe, he is to blame for my inability to get along with my mother. For while all three of my siblings are her beloved prince and princesses, I am the reflection of the one person she has grown to hate. Her own twin sister, Willa."
paragraphLilith didn't answer. Even though she couldn't possibly know the full story of Lena's family and its inner circle, she could guess at what her friend was implying. In a community like theirs, adultery wasn't unheard of and many people would see themselves become its victims. And yet, when Lena made her face this undeniable truth, the younger elf found, that she had no witty reply. The pair remained quiet for what felt like ages, the youth's eyebrows rising up in a poor attempt to ask for clarification, even if she knew there might be none. Lilith wasn't the one to guess blindly about the problems of others.
paragraph"I can see in your eyes; that is no secret anymore," Lena chuckled once more. "Do not overthink, my friend; I will spare you from the glee of delving into my family's past or its troubles. But you are correct; the woman you have described as a matriarch is not my parent. At least, not in the biological sense, for I was born from the secret relationship between my father and my mother's sister. I feel as if that taints me as a person. As if I am a lesser being when compared to my half-siblings. And Earline's rotten attitude towards me does nothing but make the issue better."
paragraph"Do not fret," Lilith's reply was almost instant, even if it sounded rehearsed. "Your heritage or bloodline cannot define you as a person. And, even though your step-mother sees you as an intruder, whenever I cast my gaze upon you, I see a promising lady ready to take on the world."
paragraphThe pair shared a laugh, looking out into the sea in unison; while Lena's eyes settled onto the surface of the ocean surrounding the northern coasts of their lands, the grey-eyed youth found herself gazing at the lone form of her brother. The archer next to her wasn't the only one with ugly secrets.
paragraphThere was a certain glint in her eyes; one, that reminded of the way her mother would still look at her tyrant of a father every now and then. Signs of endless devotion and honesty were present in her gaze, murmuring silently about the feelings slithering under her impassive facade. In Lilith's eyes, only silence was powerful enough to convey where she stood. Gentle, fleeting touches, that would leave the skin burning and yearning for an endless supply of a ceaseless supply of affection would always tell more than a million poems ever could. When Lilith cast her gaze upon her brother, she felt at peace. As if an endless winter had stopped and an uneasy spring settled inside of her heart, warming the youth from within. Daryl, it appeared, was her everything. A pillar which she could always lean on during times of trouble. A guardian that wouldn't let a single hair fall from her head. A man, that she couldn't have.
paragraphLost deep inside her thoughts, Lilith failed to notice how her friend's eyes had drifted away from the ocean, focusing on the youth's expression. It was quite clear to Lena; some secrets weren't made to see the light of day. Ever. And the fondness in Lilith's gaze was more than enough proof of it.
paragraph"Come now; keep your mysteries," the woman huffed out with a smile. "I have no need for something that can one day cost my life."
ɪɪ. ɴɪᴋsᴇɴ by Kami
Hidden text.
paragraphTheir King had fallen. And, together with his passing, came a blissful ending to decades of tyranny and carnage. As the smoke cleared from what had once been a city of riches and luxury, they were left with euphoric silence. It was fragile and dainty, trembling as the people uttered its name; a promise that had washed ashore after years of drifting in the oceans of bloodshed, lies and misery. Now, all of the pledges which spoke about a better life, prosperity and safety, were resting in the jewelled frame of a blood-stained crown. For only the person bearing this sign of authority had enough power to make such a hope extend its invisible hands and mould with their already bleak reality. The time had come for a new King to rise and, with him, a new epoch.
paragraphSybil Godfrey had no desire to touch what had once been worn by her deceased tyrant of a father. Once the ceremonies were done and the sceptre rested in her gentle, elegant hands, she chose to let the graceful silver of her mother's tiara rest on her head. For there was no blood to be found on what had become a symbol of the royal family's rebirth. It wasn't burdened with the sins of the dead King; unlike the rusted crown, it held no memories of the past. It brought hope and a ray of light to the people and the Queen herself. But without the company of gold, it felt as if the balance was upset for good.
paragraphHis bluish-green eyes hadn't left the crown for what felt like hours, slowly and deliberately evaluating the limber ornaments and bright gemstones which shone from far away. There was nothing in the world that could make him reach out and touch the object, but looking at it was strangely comforting. Almost as if the pure sight of it was enough to solidify some unsaid truth, lingering deep inside his mind. He said nothing, watching the headdress with that familiar spark of unrest and suspicion reflected in his dull gaze. If the man was to close his eyes and tune out the sound coming from the castle around him, he could almost hear the distant laughter of the King, echoing in the same way as it had when his sword pierced the tyrant's chest, bringing justice.
paragraph"You're glaring at it as if the poor thing offended you," her words sounded jaunty and gentle, yet the cheeriness was nothing more than a grim mask for the tiredness lingering beneath her content expression. The man just snorted in response. "Oh, don't be like that. It'd fit you, you know."
paragraph"Of course," his chuckle was bitter as the man shifted his eyes to look at her with a smirk on his lips. "A tyrant's crown for a murderer."
paragraphHer smile had changed into a more thoughtful, less innocent one. Still, it had a bit of naivety left in it; a childlike hope the lot had fought and died to save. It was a relief to see the flames of virtue still burning inside her eyes as the black-haired youth walked past him, stilling near the red-stained crown and gently tracing her fingertips along with the intricate designs. But while her gesture didn't mean a lot to her, he could see the shadow clinging to her skin and travelling up Sybil's arm, sinking into her flesh and disappearing in an instant. Or, perhaps, it was just his imagination and the untamed beast squirming under his own skin. But he didn't say anything, allowing her to caress the crown as if it was her lover, pressing her lips against the crimson jewels.
paragraph"Don't compare yourself to him," it didn't sound like a lecture; only a reminder, which he often forgot about. "My father never cared about a sword's past; if it was sharp enough to kill, it was good enough for him. You're not as vain. I don't think they would see him instead of you."
paragraph"Perhaps," her words had a certain weight to them; not acknowledging them was a choice he didn't have. And even if the male's eyes were soon back to peering at the crown resting in Sybil's fingers, his mind lingered on her words. "But they would see a new beast instead of the old one."
paragraphShe laughed once more, setting that crown down and approaching him with determination in her steps and a gentle, yet somewhat deliberate look present in her gaze. And, when she stopped in front of him, the man couldn't help moving his eyes away from the jewelled headdress and peering down at a girl who had gone through more pain and suffering than anyone could ever imagine. They shared a look before the youth motioned for him to kneel in front of her, watching as the youth lowered himself to the ground, a brief expression of chagrin gliding across his face before that familiar stoic look resumed its place on his pale features once more. There was no reason for him to remain below her, but he didn't move, waiting. For once, the man was curious.
paragraphHer warm, gentle hands settled down on his face, thumbs brushing across his cheekbones as the woman looked at him silently. He could see tears already forming in her blue eyes; he didn't know the reason behind this sudden outburst of emotion, but he couldn't look or shy away from any of it.
paragraph"You suffered a lot for a country, that isn't even yours," her voice was barely higher than a whisper. But, given how Sybil's mouth was resting almost against his forehead, it wasn't difficult to hear her. "You spend days inside of this cold and empty room, peering at what is your rightful legacy. Yet, you never choose to take it. I've made it clear numerous times that I want no other man to stand beside me and watch over France. And, there isn't a day when I don't hear more new reasons why you're not fit for the throne. How could anyone choose to believe you to be a tyrant?"
paragraph"Because they do not trust me," he replied with a chuckle, covering her fingers with his paled palm. "They cannot believe in my loyalty only because they have not experienced it themselves. They do not trust me because they see me as untamed. A wolf in sheep's clothing, really."
paragraphSybil laughed and the man found a tired smile drifting across his lips, too. Once she let him get up from the ground and moved away, shaking her head with a chuckle, he almost instantly followed after her, finding himself inches away from the crown. But it didn't have his attention, not yet. All that he could see was the blue-eyed woman next to him, her fingers hovering above the item, even though her gaze was still focused on his own pale face.
paragraph"Well, they're right about one thing," shaking her head, the Queen raised the crown, holding it above his head. "You are a wolf, Ray."
paragraphBefore he could protest against the gesture, Sybil set the heavy headdress on his ebony locks, taking a step back as he stood there, dumbfounded and lost. The weight was uncomfortable and foreign, that heavy gold sinking into his hair; even now, he could smell the dried blood and the aged metal. All of it surrounded him instantly, giving the man no choice but to bow down and accept the new game she had begun playing with him. After long hours of his meaningless presence in the abandoned throne room, he was finally greeted with the fear of stepping up to the ranks, that Sybil had yearned for him to take. But he was no King and, if he had any choice in the matter, it would remain like that for many years to come. For he simply wasn't meant to rule.
paragraph"But, you're not dressed in sheepskin," that girl began with a smile. "Only the finest furs suit my most loyal guardian. 'You keep what you kill'; weren't you the one who told me that? In one way or another, this crown belongs to you, wolf. Not as a memory, but as your trophy."
paragraphAnd as she turned away, quickly disappearing from the room, he was left standing there in awe, bluish-green eyes wide and somewhat moved. It was unmistakable; that little princess had grown up before anyone could say anything in regards to that. For while he was busy doing nothing and staring at the blood-stained crown, she was busy looking after him. Ray laughed darkly, removing the crown from his head and looking at it for a dull moment before he threw it to the ground, stepping on it and watching as the gold bent and lost its shape. He didn't need any trophies from their past. It was over.
16.09.2019 / 388 words by sylver
Hidden text.
His rifle was trained on the beast he intended to take down. The target was an imposing bison male, large and heavy enough to seriously injure, or even kill him if it were to notice and start galloping towards – and over – him. Thankfully enough, the overgrown prairie grass hid him from the sight of the massive creature and the gentle breeze that brushed past his body and made the grass stalks around him sway stopped his scent from reaching the animal as well.

The hunter’s hands were steady, his breathing slow and controlled. In this moment, all that mattered to him was the grazing bison that would feed his family for quite a while and keep them warm with its thick, heavy pelt. He could find a use for the rest of it as well – sell the horns, let his oldest carve small figurines out of the bones and sell those too, feed the parts of the bison that they couldn’t eat to the pigs.

No matter what, this bison would help tide them over for another while and stock up their food supplies enormously. The harvest had been bad, and his family wasn’t the only one to suffer the consequences. Their livestock, too, was sickly and thin, not at all suited to be dined on, or produce sellable products.

He took aim. Stilled his breathing. His finger slowly tightened on the trigger, preparing to pull it. Just a small readjustment, that’s all he needed to hopefully take this animal down and finally feed his children and wife. If he didn’t take it down, then he at least needed to wound it immensely. There was no telling what would happen if he felt.

The man, occupied with the task at hand, was blissfully unaware of the threat that was slowly encroaching on him. The mountain lion had noticed his scent easily and now carefully stalked closer, a silent predator not unlike the human considered himself to be.

The tall grass softly rustled behind the man. To him, it sounded just like the wind. Like the breeze that had been masking his scent from the bison. In reality, it was the cougar preparing to strike, dark and hungry eyes fixated on the unmoving body of the human.

Just like that, the hunter had become the prey.
morningstar
Archivist

AS Afflatus - Issue 29 - Activity Center

Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:56 pm

Image x
This month's activity was suggested by a member! For this activity, you can create a moodboard for a ship or roleplay of your choosing. You can create up to 2 moodboards for a total of 30 points -- meaning that each individual moodboard will earn 15 points! Post your moodboards on the thread under the spoiler tag. If you do two, keep both in the same post and use two separate spoiler tags!

You can use sites such as Canva to make your moodboard or use apps on your phone such as Pic Collage! There are many different ways you can make moodboards/collages!

x
Have suggestions for future activities? Don't be afraid to share through the google form!
morningstar
Archivist

AS Afflatus - Issue 29 - Anonymous Compliments

Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:57 pm

Image x
Anonymous Kistune wrote:I think that Grengirl is super lovely, she's always very active in the Sag common rooms and it makes me really happy to see someone who responds loads
Anonymous Kitsune wrote:This might be a heart-felt letter out to my bud, Deer. I just want you to know that it's a blessing to have you in my life. I'm so proud of how much you've grown, how much you've matured and what an incredible, capable and good person you've become. I haven't had a friend like you in what seems like years and I'm happy, proud and teary-eyed to realise that our friendship is strong enough to overcome all and every obstacles, issues and problems that might arise. I wish only happiness and beauty for you and I'll always be there for you, no matter what happens. Because you're worth all of it and more. Love you, dork. ♥
Anonymous Kistune wrote:compliment for important, an amazing mod who can do no wrong.
Anonymous Wyvern wrote:I love you ichi you're the lovliest!! and your cat!! Is babey!! you deserve all the love and happiness you're amazing <3
Anonymous Unicorn wrote: cas!!!! you are amazing!!! and i hope you know how much it means to me to have your encouragement -- even for the smallest things!!! it makes me SO happy and you're such a sweet person!!!!
Anonymous Unicorn wrote: kami bug!! baby girl!!! i am always so so so proud of you!! i wish you all the best and i know you'll get through another year of law school -- i believe in you!! you are so smart and wonderful!!! you mean so much to me and i love you so much!!!
Anonymous Unicorn wrote:harvey!!!! you are so fffffucking adorable and i wanna squish you so bad wtf!!! i am so proud of you for all of your hard work on this amazing afflatus work!!! you're the best ever and so so super nice and sweet!!! an amazing person !!!!! :D
Anonymous Unicorn wrote: this one is for my amazing, lovely, beautiful girlfriend who will likely NEVER see this but that's okay!!! but hi emily baby!!! i love you sweet girl!!! you mean so much to me and i can't tell you enough just how lucky of a guy i am to have you in my life!!!! <3
Anonymous Kitsune wrote:This goes out to trophyboys, a.k.a. my priority boarding, chair BFF and lowkey one of the kindest people I've yet to meet. I'm so glad to have you back in my life and I'm so excited/obsessed/crazy when it comes to our RP. You're a magnificent writer and it's a blessing to be able to write together with you; you push me to be my best and it's become a habit to write so much and worry both over quantity and quality of my posts (in a good way, of course). I love you lots and may our writing/evenings of sass and salt/patience for bullshit go on until we both grow old and grey. Love you, Juls! ♥
Anonymous Unicorn wrote:Anika. I just want you to know that you are doing great! You are really helping out as admin aide and also as a house keeper! I appreciate everything you do. Please keep shining like you do!
Anonymous Wyvern wrote:deer! for all the wonderful work you do as overdeer - and the wonderful new theme!!!! you're an asset to the site <3
morningstar
Archivist

AS Afflatus - Issue 29 - Reminders & Point System

Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:57 pm

Image x
Just a couple of reminders for the Afflatus! x
1. Any entry submitted through the Google form is worth 5 points. Things that will be submitted through the Google form are:

xxxxxxxa. Dear Stag submissions
xxxxxxxb. Prompt Suggestions
xxxxxxxc. Featured Works Nominations
xxxxxxxd. Anonymous Compliments
xxxxxxxe. Member Corner Submissions
xxxxxxxf. Question Submissions
xxxxxxxg. Suggestions/Questions for the Afflatus or site

2. Dear Stag can feature anything you want to ask. This can be writing tips, life tips, advice, and so forth. Keep in mind that the Afflatus is posted once a month, so things that need to be answered urgently are not best to submit. Additionally, we are not professionals, so heavy matters should be discussed with a trusted adult. We will do our best to answer each submission every issue, but may have to save other matters for later issues.

3. Dear Stag submissions should be submitted by the end of the second week of the month, so that there is enough time to provide an adequate response to the submission.

4. The Featured Works segment can feature anything from the site. Roleplays, characters, art, personal writing. When submitting a featured work, please include the member's url, the url to the post and post title, and state what it is that is being featured. I will notify users that their work has been featured.

5. When submitting an anonymous compliment, please include username and link to their profile. I notify these users after each issue is posted so that they know they've received a compliment and it makes it easy to track them down in case usernames are changed!

6. When posting submissions to the thread, please make sure the name of the submission is in the title. So, if it's a character interview, please mention that in the title. If it is an activity, please put that in the title. However, it is not a big deal if it is forgotten, though it can clear up any potential confusion.

7. Please post each submission to the thread in separate posts. This makes tallying points much easier.

8. Remember, you can post up to two (2) character interviews/otp quizzes per issue and only one prompt per issue.

9. You are welcome to submit anything to the Member Corner, within reason. Book reviews, recipes, and anything else you can think of. Not everything will be able to used, but will certainly still count for points and saved for future use! The Member Corner will also be used to address any feedback received through the Google form.

10. At the end of the month I will post the following on the thread: "Any posts made after this will not count towards points." I will be trying to stay consistent with this and plan on doing this on the last day of every month by 11:30 PM CST time. Please note that if this doesn't happen for a day (or more) then you can assume it's fair game to submit more things to the thread, since it is likely taking some time to get the next issue out. The Google form, however, will be closed the night before the next issue.
x Points System x Through Google Form

Dear Stag Submission ……………………....................................... 5 points
Featured Works Nomination ………………................................... 5 points
Future Prompt Suggestion ………………...................................... 5 points
Compliment Submission ………………......................................... 5 points
Member Corner Submission ………………................................... 5 points
Character Interview Question Submission (min 5) ……........... 5 points
Member Interview Question Submission (min 5) ……............. 5 points
Feedback Submission ……………….............................................. 5 points

Through Thread

Character Interview/OTP Quiz Submission ………… 10 points
Member Interview Submission ………...................… 10 points

Prompt Submission
0-500 words ………………………. 10 points
500-1000 words ………………….. 20 points
1000-2000+ words ……………….. 30 points

Activity Participation - will vary depending on level of difficulty