AS Afflatus: Issue Twenty-Nine

Where you can find all published issues of the Advanced Scribes Afflatus, our very own newsletter!

Moderator: Admin Aide

newt.
Green Belt
House: Halcyon

afflatus activity // moodboards

Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:30 pm

• these moodboards that have been posted so far are all lovely :'))

moodboard #1: for this character!
  • Hidden text.
  • moodboard #2: for this character!
  • Hidden text.
Kami
Roleplay Moderator
House: Sagacitas Keeper

ᴀғғʟᴀᴛᴜs ᴘʀᴏᴍᴘᴛ

Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:55 pm

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
    mentions;; erik, luisa | tags;; mild violence, mentions of blood | word count;; 1,073

It's not her first time sparring with Erik. And yet, it feels different somehow. Maybe, it is because of the scowl clinging to his face as Luisa's attacks get easily deflected by elegant, calculated movements of his arms, his frown growing deeper and more concerned. It brings nothing apart from frustration as he catches the brunette's fist once more, manhandling her back against his front, hooking an elbow around her throat with a snort of amusement. It is the only sound that leaves his throat as she reaches to claw at his forearm with her blunt nails, mouth half-open with laboured breaths slipping past her lips as she struggles, desperately trying to untangle from his hold. But it proves to be quite fruitless and she stills, glaring at her feet.

"Your moves are predictable," he speaks, the grip on her throat relaxing just enough for the girl to slip away from him, yet she doesn't move. Can't. It's a lesson she needs to learn and even if there's a slight push from his direction, she's frozen. "Our enemies won't stop as I did. Let's go again."

This time, the push is forceful enough for Luisa to stumble forward, turning around to face him. While her own face is flushed, his is completely void of any emotion as he motions for her to begin again. Luisa curls her hands into fists once more, flinching as her claws pierce the soft skin of her palms; it is quite difficult to keep her transformation at bay, especially when she is easily urged to simply let go. As dull crimson seeps from the cracks between her fingers, she charges forward again. He's waiting, an amused glimmer visible in his blue eyes as his muscles tense up, ready to stop her.

Even if she ducks underneath his extended arm, aiming for her fist to connect with his jaw, there is an iron grip catching her wrist before she can react, an elbow hitting her in the stomach just rough enough for the youth to lose her footing, a wretched choke-like sound escaping her lips as Luisa falls on her knees, scrambling to get away from him. It stings as her injured palms land on the warm grass, the wounds itching as she looks back at him, green eyes full of uncertainty and embarrassment as a pale hand stretches out towards her. Hesitantly, she allows him to pull her up with a smirk.

"Don't," Erik speaks before Luisa has the chance to speak up, shaking his head as he grabs her wrists and turns her palms up to the sun, looking at the small scabs. Running his thumbs over the raised skin, he only quirks a brow at the quiet hiss as it slips past her lips. He can feel the shiver in her limbs and the air of unease clinging desperately to her. It's upsetting. "Stop holding back. You won't hurt me; I can take you on. Let go of your fears."

"No," she replies quietly, pulling her hands away and stepping back quietly with a shake of her head. She bites her lips, drawing blood. "You can't."

Luisa remembers the first time a full transformation had occurred. The fear in Alex's eyes as this overgrown, terrifying creature ran towards him, rather prepared to tear him into shreds; the uncertainty and confusion present in Charles' eyes as he looked at her real self, scrambling to block the access to her powers before everything went downhill; the tension clinging to everyone's limbs as she peered at them, using one hand to pin the one responsible for her transformation in place without actually hurting him. It was a sight she fails to forget until this very day, a bitter smile on her pale lips.

"Try me," he laughs, drawing the youth from her mind and running a hand through her hair. "I'm not made of glass; I can handle a few bruises."

As he steps away from her, she looks down at her hands, inspects how elegantly her claws curl inward and sighs quietly. If he keeps demanding her to let go, she can't push away his wishes forever. She trusts him too much; it's been a problem ever since the mutant had 'rescued' her from that campus. And so, the youth nods solemnly at his request, kicking off her shoes and letting go as he had asked. When she opens her eyes after a minute of hush, the colours are muted and she can see everything. Two sharp fangs poke at her bottom lip as she hunches forward, bright green eyes focused on that blond standing in front of her and nothing else. He's her prey and she is the predator. And as she moves, it's different. Looser. She's dancing.

Even as his arms rise to grasp at her shoulders, it feels as if a feather has touched her. She's strong but it's a power she doesn't want to use too often. The wolf inside of her sings as she grabs onto his shoulders, leaping up just enough to push him to the ground with a growl erupting from her lips. He fights back, trying to push her away but she stays, moving away and towards him with the same amount of elegance and untamed wilderness evident in her movements. Finally, they roll to a stop and she straddles his torso, clawed fingers grasping tightly at the cotton of his sweater. She's won.

"Not bad," he speaks, a pleased half-smile present on his lips as he leans on his elbows. "See? I'm quite fine. You won't hurt those you care for."

And she huffs out a laugh at his words, nodding as the feral features disappear from her face and hands, the youth looking at him with sparks of both determination and uncertainty evident in her gaze. He had called her 'predictable' earlier with a challenge visible in both his eyes and on his lips. But as she laughs at the memory, the uncertainty disappears from her eyes and she tugs on his sweater, pulling him closer as she dips down to press her lips against his in a chaste, fleeting kiss. In a moment, it's over and she's standing up from the ground, extending her hand to also help the other up.

"I'm a wolf," she replies and her eyes glimmer mischievously for a second. It's a joke, but it's serious. "Don't underestimate the king of the woods."
sylver
Attendant

character interview #1 / sevilirion

Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:32 pm

──────────────────────────────
"and if thou gaze long into an abyss the abyss will also gaze into thee."
──────────────────────────────
    • 1.If they could become a flavour of Jam, what would it be?
      every time i think about this, the thing that sticks in my brain is elderberry jam (since pretty much all parts of the plant, as well as the uncooked fruits of most elderberry species are toxic), so i'll have to go with elderberry jam.

2.If they could turn into a snake, would they be venomous or not?
      venomous. definitely venomous. very venomous. do not fuck with, unless you wanna risk death.

3. Is you character an internet user?
      i mean, he is incapable of accessing the internet due to being a TES character, so no. if he could, i imagine he would use it for research purposes and maybe some shopping for books and other work-related stuff only. no entertainment. ain't nobody got time for that.

4. Are they a lover, or a fighter?
      a fighter. his only love is KNOWLEDGE. and maybe tentacles. but he's got no time to love anything else.

5. Does your character believe in a religion? Why/Why not?
      hermaeus mora is his one true saviour TM, so as a filthy daedra worshipper, i guess he does. would be kinda stupid not to believe in a faith where you can literally talk to, see and touch your deity.

6. How comfortable are they with touching strangers, and how comfortable are they with being touched by strangers?
      he's not bothered by touching others if needed whatsoever. however, being touched is an entirely different thing and while he doesn't exactly feel discomfort when a stranger touches him, he still doesn't appreciate it and is quick to voice his displeasure over it.

7. How do they feel about complete silence? Do they find it relaxing, or unnerving?
      he doesn't mind it at all. while he can work in noisy environments as well, sev does prefer quiet environments anyway, because it makes it easier for him to completely focus and immerse himself in whatever he's doing more quickly.

8. What is the first thing they do after waking up and getting out of bed?
      most of the time, he'll get a cup of water to hydrate himself and walks over to his desk to write down whatever his dreams were about. after that, he gets ready to leave his room, grabs the list of his daily tasks that he wrote the night before, and takes a moment to go over it before heading out.

9. If they were a teacher, what subject/s would they teach? i mean... he's already a teacher and teaches alteration magic. but, if we were to put him into a more "traditional school", he'd likely teach history and some sort of science. probably either biology, chemistry, physics, or psychology. i can imagine him most for either psychology, or chemistry though.

10. What do they consider to be their most attractive physical feature?
      as long as they're green and not his natural amber colour, his eyes. otherwise, probably his hands. thankfully, being a mage lends itself well to having nice hands. hard, physical labour? no thanks.

11. What is their favourite dinosaur?
      if he lived in our world... does the titanoboa still count as a dinosaur? if not, the velociraptor mongoliensis

12. What big-bang theory character would they identify themselves with?
      i've literally never cared enough about BBT to watch more than an episode or two whenever nothing better was on TV a while back,,, and i'm sorry, but i can just NOT bring myself to go through lists of all main and side characters to find a fitting one.

13. If they would be a superhero, what superhero would they be?
      comparing him to an actual superhero would be offensive to both of them, because he certainly is super, but not a "hero". more of a super villain. honestly, the closest thing to a hero that he reminds me of is venom? but even at his best, he's an anti-hero if you squint real hard, and otherwise he's definitely classified as a villain character, so... :shrug: can i just throw dr. strange here & call it a day?

14. What is their favourite board game?
      fun? relaxation?? free time??? what's this, sounds useless. though i can see him as the kind of man who will play monopoly with the goal to absolutely CRUSH everyone's hopes and dreams as he wins. either monopoly, or scrabble.

15. If they were to sign up for volunteering work, what kind of work would they like to do?
      i regret to inform you that sev is a bastard who would never commit to any volunteering work without an ulterior motive. when he was younger, he did volunteer to assist teachers now and again. as for what he would do right now... it's hard to say, because he's just not the kind of person who would volunteer? i suppose he wouldn't mind doing volunteer work at libraries, or perhaps a museum? any place where he could potentially also gain more insight and knowledge for himself, really.
Aporia
Yellow Belt
House: Halcyon Head Girl

afflatus #29 || member interview

Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:21 am

1. Would you rather be stranded on a desert island with someone you love for ten years, or someone you hate for a month? Explain why.
    this might sound wild but tbh someone i hate for a month. trust me, i would be really bad on a desert island for that long, i know how grumpy i can get and i don't want to subject anyone to that for too long. but the thing is, if it was a month then i could just grin and handle it, and i'm pretty good at standing up for myself when i need to. i reckon i could do that and not feel as bad if i do break down, idk, less guilt for me i guess.
    2. Why did you join AS?
    technically i made an account forever ago when i first heard about it on cs, but only grew active this year. that's because i took a long break from writing (over a year) and then last year i tried to get back into it on cs but failed miserably. but then i remembered this site, logged into my old account, and i've been super happy here for the past months. and this is the most active i've been with rps in awhile, i love it.
    3. Have you ever dyed you hair?
    not really, i did once dye a strip of my hair a red purple but eh it faded fast. never fully dyed it though. i'm too much of a coward.
    4. Do you fidget when your nervous?
    yep!!! i also fidget just all the time because i'm bad at sitting still and doing nothing lol.
    5. What do you want to be doing in 5 years?
    oh god don't ask me that i don't know.
    6. If you could be a goat, what breed of goat would you be?
    one of those fainting goat things.
    7. What are your current top five songs?
    almost touch me - maisy kay
    venom - icon for hire
    slow down - the 5:55
    yes & no - XYLØ
    dance in the dark - au/ra
    8. What’s the most recent show you’ve binge watched?
    currently it's busted!, a k-variety show where they are detectives solving mysteries and crimes and such. extremely good and also makes me laugh i love it. recently binged season 1 and season 2 is out now so i'm progressing my way through that too. (because of work my version of binging takes weeks lmao)
    9. Which apocalyptic dystopia do you think is most likely?
    no idea. probably like a nuclear war type thing.
    but really, i want zombies to be a thing.
    10. What product or service is way more expensive than it needs to be?
    spotify premium.
    11. Do you drink alcohol? If yes, what is your favourite drink? If not, what is your reason for not drinking and how do you feel being in the company of your friends when they are drinking/drunk?
    i don't drink, it makes me feel so so sick. most of the things i've tried have made me feel so woozy, and one drink i tried left me clutching my stomach in absolute pain all night. yeah, never again. and i don't really go out much, and my friends don't drink that much with me. but i'm fine with it lol. i'm used to the drinking culture in my country.
    12. Do you have a bedtime routine? What about a morning routine? Describe them.
    idk. wake up, get dressed, eat, go to work. get home from work, get ready for work the next day, shower, cook/eat, watch tv, rp replies, sleep. really simple stuff.
    13. At what age do you think you were the happiest so far?
    really throwing out the hard questions lol. i am honestly happy with where i am right now. it's never gonna be perfect but i have a full time job i'm happy with and i feel at peace and like i'm working through my anxiety well so yeah.
    14. If money was of no importance and it wouldn't negatively affect you in any way, shape, or form, how differently would you dress and present yourself in public?
    not much. i have nice business attire for work, nice formal attire, and shit taste in casual fashion and that will be how it always is. though, i might dye my hair purple in a perfect world with no judgement lol.
    15. If you could transform one single kind of animal to make them the size of horse and make them rideable, what animal would you choose?
    OWL OWL OWL. that is all. imagine flying a giant owl around at night? cool as fuck.
Aporia
Yellow Belt

afflatus #29 || character interview 1

Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:11 am

Imagexxx
NATALIAxxx
based on xxxx
    sour blackberry jam. she can be sweet but she's always sour at first. also i just feel like blackberries fit her.
    much to her annoyance, not venomous. but still dangerous enough without the venom.
    kind of?? nat needs to be off the radar and also doesn't have much time to be on the internet. like for basic stuff, sure, but it's not a habit.
    fighter, always. fight is her first instinct, she's got knives on her person at all times for a reason.
    nope. it's never helped her, she believes no one out there is going to help you except yourself. her life has been pretty shitty, and it certainly won't be less shitty with any faith in the mix.
    6. How comfortable are they with touching strangers, and how comfortable are they with being touched by strangers?
    fine enough with touching strangers, also doesn't really care if she's touched. unless it's without her consent, then she'll kick your ass.
    7. How do they feel about complete silence? Do they find it relaxing, or unnerving?
    both. sometimes she needs silence and sometimes it drives her mad. depends on the context.
    look in the mirror and encourage herself to keep going, it's rough. though lately whilst on the run it's been, eat, and then get the hell out of there.
    9. If they were a teacher, what subject/s would they teach?
    a teacher swearing at the students would be bad lol, but she would be a p.e/gym teacher.
    her scars. she kind of the loves them, gives her more character.
    nat has a habit for making up bullshit words so probs not even a real dinosaur but more like: "that angry spiny-o-saurus thing in one of those jurassic thing movies."
    god idk but i googled it and maybe priya koothrappali??? kinda. it definitely wouldn't be natalia's kind of show though.
    she is far from a superhero, though she has powers, but she'd probably be closer to a vigilante type like batman?? probably.
    monopoly cos she can screw people over in it.
    15. If they were to sign up for volunteering work, what kind of work would they like to do?
    she does like to help people she is just bad at admitting it. she's tough and cool. but probably some kind of homeless shelter.
Aporia
Yellow Belt

afflatus #29 || character interview 2

Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:06 am

Imagexxx
CORDELIAxxx
based on xxxx
    blueberry jam. she loves sweet berries, plus it matches her colour scheme lol.
    nope. not venomous. she'd be one of those curious little snakes that has no sense of danger lol.
    no, only because she lives in a time period where there's no internet.
    cordelia is a lover for sure. she doesn't believe things to be all bad at first, her sense of adventure keeps her sane.
    nope!! she doesn't even really believe the rumors and fairy-tales she hears. she's the 'i have to see it to believe it' type of person.
    oh boy, she hates being touched by strangers. really hates it. mostly because a large chunk of the strangers she meets are lords her family is trying to set her up with and she doesn't like that at all. though touching strangers? depends on the context i guess lol. she does prefer feeling more in control.
    not really a fan of complete silence, cordelia finds it kind of unnerving.
    calling in her maid to help her get dressed, and spend the whole time complaining to her about her family lol.
    myths and legends, social studies, and health.
    she couldn't pick a feature, but probably her hair? it's a gorgeous glossy blonde that rolls down her back in curls, she does take pride in caring for it.
    she doesn't even know what dinosaurs are. but probably one of those featured bird type ones.
    once again i looked it up, but closer to penny? kind of.
    wonder woman or any strong female superhero. she thinks they're amazing (ya know, if she existed in modern times lol)
    chess.
    working alongside animals definitely. something to do with aiding animals and looking after them.
python regius
Green Belt

afflatus activity

Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:53 am

• moodboard #1
  • Hidden text.
  • moodboard #2 coming soon
  • Hidden text.
Aporia
Yellow Belt

afflatus #29 || activity

Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:23 am

• #1; natalia from x
    Hidden text.
    #2; chiffon x amaris from a private hunger games rp
    Hidden text.
sylver
Attendant

character interview #2 / jenella callidia

Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:52 pm

────────────────────────────────────────
"a rose does not lose its beauty because it is covered with thorns."
────────────────────────────────────────
x
      possibly cherry jam. i'm specifically thinking of amaretto sour cherry jam though.

venomous. deadly if left untreated for a few hours, but otherwise just hella uncomfortable if you do get an antidote in time.

once again, she's a TES character, so she can't use the internet. if she could, however, she would definitely use the internet. mostly to stay connected with people, get news on what's going on in the world, and to listen to some music.

she's half/half, really. jenella is very independent and will fight anyone who tries to cage her in, but in her close circle, she is very much a lover (though still a fighter in the sense that she will fight anyone who threatens/hurts her loved ones).

she was raised by her parents to follow the nine eight divines. nowadays, being a black brotherhood assassin means she follows sithis, though other than that, she isn't a particularly faithful, religious and/or spiritual person.

neither bothers her much, though it depends on the situation. generally speaking, she's more uncomfortable with being touched by men than women, but casual, "day-to-day touches" (handshakes, coridal back pats, etc) are fine.

the music of life is silence. she's not unnerved by it. jenella actually enjoys silence quite a bit and finds it relaxing, unless it is completely silent in places where there should not be silence, then it gets a bit eerie and makes her wary.

she does a few light stretches and exercises to wake her up properly and get her body up and running for the day. she also tends to make her bed right away.

hm, possibly physical education, or social studies and/or social economics.

she thinks she has a nice smile, but is also quite fond of her eyes, hair and lips. really, she doesn't have a feature she's particularly ashamed of. jenella's the kind of person who loves her body regardless of the opinions of others.

if she knew what they are, a compsognathus, because they're adorably small.

once again, don't care for the show & can not be bothered to look at all of the characters to find a fit.

she gives me katana vibes sometimes. or maybe marvel's valkyrie.

i feel like she would be a fan of the pandemic board game series, if she had access to them. but you can't go wrong with good old sorry! either.

i can imagine her volunteering to care for animals at a shelter, or to foster them until they get new homes. either that, or reading to and playing with orphaned children.
trophyboys
Green Belt
House: Amaranthine

afflatus activity. | prompt: predictable.

Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:47 pm

xxx
      ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
      based off of: this rpxxword count: 727.xxwarnings: xx.
      characters: camila, luisa, hank, and, finally, raven.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
  • ----"This is so unfair!" Camila yelled, already panting and out of breath. Her back was pressed stark up against a tree, for she was trying to catch her breath. She had been put up against a glorified werewolf, Bigfoot himself, and an insanely fast blue girl. Of course, she deeply enjoyed Luisa, Hank, and Raven's company, respectively, though when she was being chased by the lot, perhaps not so much. They were all insanely fast, even Raven was, though the girl wasn't enhanced in the manner that Hank and Luisa were. A lot faster than her, that was all that mattered.

"Unfair?" She heard Raven snicker, though her voice was growing louder and louder. She was coming. "You're the one that can walk through walls!"

And, as if she had to be told twice, Camila started running again. She took off bolting, going as fast as she could. As Raven had predicted mere moments prior, she started running back to the mansion. Was it the smartest move? No, not necessarily. Did she care? Again, not necessarily. Adrenaline was pumping through her veins, and it wasn't like the girl was thinking all that rationally. Instead, she only peered behind her. Raven was hot on her trail, though she spotted someone to her left, running straight toward her in an attempt to cut her off. Luisa.

Pushing herself to run faster, Camila held her breath, focusing in on the wall a mere twenty feet before her. And like magic, the girl soon passed through the wall. She felt no need to flinch anymore, quite used to her power by now. She trusted herself enough to get through the wall, so she felt no need to be wary and afraid. And, now that she was inside the mansion, she breathed a sigh of relief. She would have at least a few moments to catch her breath before she was outside running again. Luisa hadn't been too far away, so the girl only had a minute or two maximum, though it was better than nothing. So, with that in mind, she briefly leaned against the wall she'd just gone through. She took a series of steady breaths, though her careful hazel eyes were fixated on the door. Someone was bound to come for her, and it didn't exactly matter who.

Like clockwork, she saw the door handle jiggle, and that was her cue. The girl immediately headed right back outside, dashing through the walls as she picked up speed. She hadn't even bothered sticking around to see who it was, anyways. She figured Luisa, since the brunette was closest, but she didn't exactly want to find out, either.

Without warning, she suddenly collided with something, only to hit the grass. She scrambled on the ground briefly, wide eyes immediately looking up to see Luisa. The woman had a cocky grin on her face almost immediately, too. "How?" The brunette choked up. She'd seen Luisa chasing after her the other way. She'd been following her to the mansion, not following her toward one of the sides. The woman didn't say anything for the time being, though, only offering Camila a hand. She took it and pulled herself to the ground, a quizzical look on her face.

"You really are just that predictable," She grinned, clearly teasing. However, the tease was short lived because a second Luisa slowly appeared before the two youths. Camila tilted her head, trying to figure out which one was the real one, but she couldn't. The second was clearly out of breath, though that didn't mean much to her.

"I was right before," The second proudly exclaimed, though Camila only stared on in amazement as the second soon turned into Raven. Both Raven and Luisa shared a glint of amusement and terror in their eyes, and the brunette only huffed in response.

"I told you this was unfair," She pouted and folded her arms against her chest like a child.

"And you're the one that was keen on including powers," Hank pointed out as he soon joined the group, giving them all a hearty laugh as he gave the woman a gentle pat on the back. It was the gentlest of ways to point out her hypocrisy, after all. But it truly was all in good fun. Besides, Charles and Erik weren't here to ruin it just yet.