AS Afflatus: Issue Thirty

Where you can find all published issues of the Advanced Scribes Afflatus, our very own newsletter!

Moderator: Admin Aide

morningstar
Archivist
House: Vipera

AS Afflatus: Issue Thirty

Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:15 pm

Image x
If you are a new reader of the Afflatus, welcome! This magazine is meant to be interactive with our members, meaning submissions, suggestions, and nominations are encouraged! For each contribution to the Afflatus, points will be awarded to the house! Through this magazine, we aim to provide tips and inspiration as well as updates regarding the site. To make a submission, you can do so by using this form or even posting directly to the thread.

Afflatus Contents: Title Post, Updates, Dear Stag, Writing & Life Tips, Character Interview & Prompt, Member Corner, Featured Writing, Adventure Story, Activity Center and Anonymous Compliments and Critique.

Current Staff/Team Members: Thunderofthedrum, Commander Shepard, Snow, Ichor, important, Cas, Smamm, morningstar, Deer, Kami, Blue, Cerise, sylver, gold. Here is our team page.
morningstar
Archivist

AS Afflatus - Issue 30 - Updates

Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:15 pm

Image x
Discussion Area: Don’t forget, we have the new discussions area that hasn’t seen much action yet. Go check out what others have said via the forum survey and add in your own thoughts in the results thread.

Event Calendar: The December event will be posted very soon! Please stay tuned for this last opportunity to earn points (plus we think it will be fun for all)!

NaNoWriMo: - Have you checked out the Nanowrimo results? (Located in the event thread)

Issue 29 Totals:
Halcyon - 370
Vipera - 100
Sagacitas - 170
Amaranthine - 80
morningstar
Archivist

AS Afflatus - Issue 30 - Dear Stag

Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:16 pm

Image x
Dear Stag,
How do you stick to a goal?
- Anonymous Wyvern
  • Hi! That's a really good question!

For me, reward systems are always the best way to motivate myself to stick to a goal. Most recently, I've been writing a lot of essays, so giving myself small rewards for reaching certain word counts has been fantastic for ensuring I meet deadlines!

Another good system is reminding yourself why you want to reach that goal; what benefits does it bring you? If we continue with my essay example, it ensures I will get good grades - an outcome that I really desire! By continuing to remind yourself why you want to achieve this goal, it's far easier to stick to it.

If it's a large task, breaking it down into smaller tasks makes it far far easier to continue to motivate yourself. Again, with the essay, 6000 words seems really daunting! But, if you can manage 1000 words a day, that's far less difficult to motivate yourself for.

I hope that helps, and good luck with achieving your goal!
Dear Stag,
What are some gift ideas for someone that seems to have everything they could possibly need? What are some gift ideas for someone that you do not know all that well?
- Anonymous Wyvern
  • Hi! I'm going to separate this into two catagories for ease!

Gift ideas for someone who has everything they could possibly need

I have been through this SO many times - I have had many friends who had so many things, and I was always stuck for what to get them for gifts, so I hope these ideas can help!

Usually, I make something! Often a sentimental gift is appreciated WAY more than some knick knack; I always love giving sentimental gifts. You can make it relate to their interests, or a memory that you two have together! I have crafted photobooks, painted postcards, and other such things for friends that I didn't know what else to get for. Often, it has been far better received than other gifts I've given in the past!

Another good idea of a gift for someone who has everything they need is to think out of the box. What are their hobbies and interests; can you find something relating to that? I love to draw, and I've been gifted art markers and other such things before! You can always ask and see if there's anything that they've had their eye on, but haven't gotten for one reason or another.

Also, you can never go wrong with food - everyone always needs food, and a sweet treat is always welcome!

Gift ideas for someone that you do not know all that well

In my school, we always did 'secret santa' type things, so I always ended up with gifts from people I didn't know all to well, and thus, they didn't know me too well either!

One good idea is, if you know who they are, ask the person's friends! They are going to know the recipient better than you, so they might have some good ideas for gifts! I've done this before and it's been really successful!

If this isn't meant to be a sentimental gift, a giftcard is always a good idea; you can get giftcards and gift certificates for pretty much any place ever, so this can be a good option!

I have, on occasion, made tiny gift baskets. You can fill it with tiny sweets, chocolates, toiletries and other small things! They're really thoughtful, and often lovely gifts to give - also, you can make them extremely cheaply, so if budget is a concern, these can be a brilliant option!

Lastly, food is always a good one. Chocolate, sweets, snacks; I've always been more than happy with a food-related gift if the person is unsure. Just make sure you're aware of any allergies!

I hope both of these helped!
morningstar
Archivist

AS Afflatus - Issue 30 - Member Interview

Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:16 pm

Image x

This month, instead of the regular one set of member interviews, I've come up with two sets! One is a set of Christmas themed questions; if you don't celebrate Christmas, I have another set of December themed questions!

Each one is worth the standard amount of points, though, if you answer both of them, you can get points for both! So, 10 points each, for a maximum total of 20 points!!

Christmas questions
Hidden text.
1. Do you, or your family, have any Christmas traditions?
2. What's your favourite Christmas movie?
3. How about your favourite Christmas food?
4. What's your favourite winter hot drink?
5. What's a traditional Christmas Dinner, where you're from?
6. Does your country itself have any Christmas traditions?
7. Have you ever kissed under mistletoe?
8. Do you have a real or fake Christmas tree?
9. How early do you put up your Christmas tree?
10. Are you asking for anything for Christmas this year? If so, what?
11. What's the best Christmas gift you've received?
12. What do you decorate your Christmas tree with?
13. Do you go to Mass on Christmas?
14. Do you prefer to give or receive presents?
15. Do you wake up early on Christmas morning, or quite late?

General questions
Hidden text.
1. What are some goals that you have accomplished in 2019?
2. What is your New Year's resolution?
3. What are some goals that you hope to accomplish in 2020?
4. What advice would you give to your younger self?
5. What are you looking forward to in 2020?
6. If you performed in Eurovision (for the non-European people - any song contest) and could play any song as your own, what would you choose to perform? Why?
7. What is your Hogwarts/Ilvermorny house? Do you think they fit you?
8. If you had to go to jail for one crime, what crime would that be? Why?
9. Quick! Someone walked in on you naked! What do you do?
10. If you could change one thing about AS, what would it be?
11. Does it snow where you're from around December? Do you like snow?
12. Do you have any winter-y or December-y traditions?
13. What is your best memory from 2019?
14. Since this is officially the end of the 2010's, what's been your favourite memory from the decade?
15. Are you going abroad at all in this holiday period?
morningstar
Archivist

AS Afflatus - Issue 30 - Character Interview & Prompt

Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:17 pm

Image x

Instead of the regular 15 questions, this month we have 20! All the odd numbers are Christmas questions, and all of the even numbers are winter themed questions. That way, if you (or your characters) don't celebrate Christmas, you can still find some applicable questions!

For answering all of the questions, instead of the standard 10 points, you can earn 15!

x
1. Who wakes up first on Christmas morning?
2. Who snuggles up to who on cold December nights?
3. Who sings loudly along to Christmas songs, and who quietly mumbles along?
4. Who loves the snow, and who hates it? Or do they both love it?
5. Do they kiss under the mistletoe?
6. Do they curl up with Hot Chocolate on frosty evenings?
7. What presents do they get each other?
8. Who falls flat on their face ice skating, and who is graceful?
9. Do they cook a Christmas dinner, or do they order a takeaway?
10. Do they go sledding? Who is ridiculously fast, and who is sensible?
11. How early do they put up their Christmas tree, and do they have fun doing it?
12. Who goes out into the cold dressed warm, and who goes out dressed for style?
13. Which of them is harder to buy for?
14. Who wins the snowball fights?
15. Do they decorate where they live for Christmas, or is there one measly bit of tinsel taped to the wall?
16. What do they decorate their snowmen with?
17. Which one cuts the Turkey for Christmas Dinner?
18. Do they have a two person jumper, and if so, why? (an example here)
19. Do they host the Christmas Dinner or go to it?
20. Are they together on New Year's Eve?

x Prompt x
Pick one (1) of the two prompts.

bells

or

“Lying is for politicians. You deserve the recognition.”
morningstar
Archivist

AS Afflatus - Issue 30 - Member Corner

Image x
Anonymous Wyvern wrote:
Macy's (a fashion company) has a campaign where if you write one letter to Santa, it equals a dollar (up to a million) for Make A Wish foundation. Christmas is not only about receiving gifts, but also giving to those that are need and are less fortunate this holiday season. It is all about bringing people together.

For an afflatus activity, we should write a letter to santa, but screenshot it before we submit it. (it's free and requires no sign up). if the webpage is unavailable to some members, just a regular letter to santa about the things that they want for this season to bring a sense of nostalgia.

https://www.macys.com/social/believe/
  • That is so cute! We would totally support people doing this and you are not alone in wanting to see ‘letters to Santa’ as an activity. We invite people to participate in this month’s afflatus event and to even send it in to Macy’s afterwards if they so desire!
Anonymous Unicorn wrote:
Is it possible to have the "Edited last by" function only visible to Moderators? I understand the importance of it from a staff perspective, but it's so unappealing to see underneath posts, especially after working so hard to make nice coding. Either that, or potentially make that function a bit smaller? It's just much larger than it used to be. I understand there's a different theme and all, I just hope it's something that staff will look into!
  • Unfortunately, it is not possible for us to remove this entirely. As for resizing it, it would take a fair amount of effort by our Overseer to look into this and as it does not impact the function of the forum or roleplaying, we will not be adding it to the agenda at this time. We understand that it’s not aesthetically pleasing, but it does play a role in being important and helpful to our staff. Perhaps one day there will be better options available but for now it just isn’t going to be a priority.
Anonymous Unicorn wrote:
Can we please do a Christmas themed Member Interview for December? :)
  • Hi!! I've actually done two member interviews this month - one is a Christmas themed one, but the other - since I'm conscious that some people don't celebrate Christmas - so that everyone can participate!! I hope you enjoy!!
Perhaps for a Christmas themed activity, maybe we could do something where your character writes a letter to Santa? Or you can yourself? Just an idea!
  • I love this idea! Check out this month’s activity and hope you enjoy it! Thanks for the great idea!
Do you have ideas as to what you would like to see here? Don't be afraid to share through our google form!
morningstar
Archivist

AS Afflatus - Issue 30 - Featured Works

Image x
♔. kill your darlings // halcyon by important
Hidden text.
Eyes to the sky, little knight. That’s where the unseen hunters of man lurk. There, within the shadowed rooftops, where no sane person would dare think to look. A hand on his shoulder, a pat on his back, and he was sent on his way by those in red. A subtle upwards flick of amber eyes, chin barely tipping back, Petyr took a moment to scan the skies. Just in case. There was no telling if he'd earned a target on his back or not. Figured it best to be on the safe side.
xxxxxThe gods had charged him with the toll of crimson-stained revenge. Uncaring, unforgiving, non-discriminate retribution. An innocent life stolen, a debt repaid. Thus, he donned the snow-coloured cloak of the same organisation that executed the closest friend Petyr had ever had.
xxxxxThe Assassin’s prevalence in London was not one that was well-advertised, but if one knew where to look, they’d find it everywhere. The sheer amount of cases that got brought through to the Guard was enough to turn heads, thus requiring some further action to be taken.
xxxxxPetyr Lécuyer was that further action. The cross patteés hung like stars in a cloudless sky, guiding him through the path of treachery he’d found himself all too comfortable in. The Templar’s turncoat put on a mission of high-strung and lost hope in some desperate attempt to find solace. To find answers.
xxxxxA careful turn around the corner was made, down into a less-used alleyway far from the roaring streets of London. The crowds were not a bother -- it was the dangers that lurked within that set Petyr on edge. Like a tide with no warning, there was no telling what was beneath the waters.
xxxxxHis hand moved back to pull up the hood of his cloak, drawn just over his eyes as he kept moving through the narrow pathway. The only souls here were those condemned to a life on the streets, standing over fires and leant against the walls, their desolation clawing through the very air he breathed. None of which so much as even giving Petyr a second glance, let alone bothering with his presence. Just another body.
xxxxxAnd perhaps it was the bliss of anonymity that he was so wrapped up in that caused him to lower his guard.
xxxxxFor half a second. But, then again, half a second was all it took.
xxxxxPetyr never registered so much as a shadow, but the weight that slammed into him caused his body to drop to the cobblestone immediately -- desperate to soften the blow by rolling to his back before he could be caught off-guard and on his stomach. His hands immediately shot down to his belt, drawing the dagger and finally registering, in the flurry of movement, that it was the figure of another person that was now sitting atop him, pinning him to the stone.
[ ❝ ♔. ʙʀᴏᴛʜᴇʀʜᴏᴏᴅ. ] // ᴀᴍᴀʀᴀɴᴛʜɪɴᴇ. by trophyboys
Hidden text.
❝ ♔. The clicking of heels sounded throughout the very palace Marceau had gotten to call his own. His fingertips brushed against the cold, stone walls as he continued his stride, pout ever present on his face. "Stupid boy," The king muttered under his breath as he rounded a corner, deep set eyes narrowing as he paused to collect himself. He had spent his morning outside in the courtyard, eagerly watching his sons and daughter spar. Yet, his youngest was nowhere to be found. He had hopes in his children, knowing them all to be fair and righteous, though he nearly had to suspend his disbelief for the young boy. His impending laziness made the older man fight back bitterness, for he raised his children to be proud, hard workers, not to be both useless and hopeless oafs. He told himself that, perhaps, the boy would grow out of it, but all his children had much growing up to do. He wasn't the only one.

That thought made him anxious. Marceau knew all too well that his days were numbered as their King. He wasn't the young leader he used to be. What was once a pair of steady hands wielding a sword had become that of ones too shaky and wrinkled to do so. He spent much of his time inside now, as per his advisers, even if he disagreed with it greatly. He needed to be with his people. A King was not a King if he hid within the shadows of his own comfort zone. He didn't want to let his people down, and planned on straying far from that - even until his dying breath. He would do everything in his power to ensure that his children were ready to continue to strive for peace in their Kingdom, no matter what the cost. Violence would never bring peace, though a fair ruler knew how to achieve it, how to sustain it, even in times of great panic. They all had to learn that, and Marceau wanted to teach it to them. He had raised them with strict morals, wanting them to grow up to be greater than he ever could be. It felt like all he was doing was telling himself feeble little lies to make himself feel better, though. He needed to know that one of them would step up when the time was right. He couldn't just bank on hope any longer. Because it was clearly getting him nowhere.
temptation by periwinkle
Hidden text.
Her song was sensual, a slow melody accompanied by a thumping, steady bass that was perfect for her dance. Sybil Godfrey was working the pole as if she had been raised with it despite having only been ‘undercover’ at the gentleman’s club for a few weeks. At the age of twenty-one, she had never been included in her father’s business with her family’s gang – she had only been paraded around for good appearances. Her father did not know that she had commenced a mission of her own; the only one who knew was her bodyguard, Ray. He wasn’t exactly comfortable with it, naturally, but it was what had to be done. Her father was in the process of securing an arms deal, and it was impertinent that they find out if their rivals were planning on interrupting that. So, the young woman had disguised herself and gone undercover at the local gentleman’s club that was known to be run by her father’s rivals. Gang members from that group obviously frequented the club, and she was likely to hear something. Today was the day that Ray came in for a report. For now, though, there was only her and the pole. She moved against it like it was her lover, grinding and swaying as the song continued. She dropped low, the black strands of her wig brushing the bared skin of her ass. Sybil’s outfit was completely bright red, cheeky bottoms with a nearly see-through bra and matching red ‘stripper heels’ to boot. On top of her head, ironically enough, was a tiara. After all, around here she was known as Princess. The woman smoothly lowered herself onto her back, giving her spectators ample view of her cleavage. She was close enough to the crowd that the men – and the occasional woman – could touch her, and in a few seconds she felt hands sliding bills into her bra. Once they were done Sybil sat up and grabbed the pole, the song’s intensity rising as it reached the end. To finish her dance, she climbed up the pole higher than usual and inverted, placing the pole between the side of her abdomen and in between her legs. From her, she pushed her legs into the splits and let herself fall gracefully until she was nearly to the floor, catching herself by hooking her leg around the pole just in time. The song ended. Sybil was left upside down and hanging on with just her legs, looking at the crowd as they applauded. From across the room, she could see Ray standing in the back. His eyes never left her and she untangled herself from the pole, offering a short bow to her onlookers before prancing off the stage. After stopping in the dressing room to check her makeup and hair and to empty her bra of cash, she headed out for the lounge floor.

The pseudo-stripper took her time getting to the booth where Ray was sitting, stopping to flirt with a few other customers in order not to look suspicious to her watchful boss behind the bar. When she finally sauntered over to his area he was waiting for her. She had felt his burning blue-green gaze on her the entire time she had been in the room. The man looked as incredible as the day she had first laid eyes on him. His shoulder-length black hair was tied up in a bun, and he wore an unbuttoned black suit coat over a white dress shirt as though he was just another harried businessman stopping by a strip club after a long day at work. Most businessmen didn’t have ornate tattoos crawling up the side of their neck, however. “Hello sir,” she purred in her stripper “customer service” voice, “can I interest you in any special services today?” The young woman could have laughed at the expression on her bodyguard’s face at that moment, watching intently with amusement as he tried to formulate an answer. To his credit, he did keep his eyes strictly on her face. He had never seen her in her “work attire” before – this was definitely the most he’d ever seen of her. Ray noticed her amusement and huffed in annoyance, leaning forward to whisper to her. “Sybil, we don’t have time-”

She stopped him with a finger to his lips, effectively cutting him off. She never would have this power over him in any other place, and she was going to enjoy it while she could. “You know my name,” she murmured, her blue eyes daring him to do it. How far would this go, she wondered briefly. Did she even care? Not really. “Princess,” he ground out quietly through gritted teeth once she had removed her finger from his lips, “would you like to speak in a more private place?” Again, Sybil had to bite back her laughter. She had picked her stripper name after the nickname her bodyguard called her all the time in a spur of the moment decision when getting hired on, only for the irony of it all to come back to them in that very moment. “Yes, I would! Private dances are fifty dollars, please,” she chirped, holding out her hand. The look Ray gave her was one that was reserved for those who made threats to her well-being; she would recognize it anywhere. It usually sent a chill down the spine of their enemies, but this look affected her in no way whatsoever. A fifty-dollar bill was slapped into her hand and she beamed, taking his hand in hers and leading him towards the back. “Bobby, we’ll be in Room 3 for a private dance,” she informed the man behind the counter. Bobby was the owner of the club, and he was also a higher-up in the rival gang. Sybil watched herself carefully around him. The scantily clad, raven-haired female then guided Ray down the hall and into Room 3, locking the door behind her. “There’s a camera in the room but no audio,” she stated seriously then, still facing the door. Ray would know to avoid speaking while in the camera’s direct view. If their lips were read, they would be screwed. She turned to him then, putting on a sweet smile while gesturing to the padded armchair in the center of the room, “Go ahead and take a seat, please.” As Ray did so – slowly and warily – Sybil moved about the room, pouring a drink for the man and turning on some quiet, carnal music to play in the background. She started behind him, massaging his shoulders gently. It was clear the man wanted to protest, but they both knew he would do nothing to blow their cover. She bent slightly to whisper in his ear, “Relax.” Her red-stained lips brushed against the man earlobe and he sucked in a quick breath, tensing up more. Sybil smiled languidly and moved to his hair, undoing the bun and letting his hair fall freely. She ran her hands through the inky strands – it was secretly something she’d been wanting to do for some time, and she was not going to pass up the opportunity to do so. “How does that feel?” She murmured, once more getting close to his ears.
morningstar
Archivist

AS Afflatus - Issue 30 - Activity Center

Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:18 pm

Image x
This month's activity was suggested by a member! For this month's activity, in spirit of the holiday season, you can write a letter about a wish you have for the holiday season! This can be a letter to santa, your parents, the universe, anyone you please! You are also more than welcome to write this letter from the perspective of a character, if you'd prefer!

You can write up to 2 letters for a total of 30 points - each individual letter will earn you 15 points!
Have suggestions for future activities? Don't be afraid to share through the google form!
morningstar
Archivist

AS Afflatus - Issue 30 - Anonymous Compliments

Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:18 pm

Image x
Anonymous Unicorn wrote:This is more of a general compliment, I hope that is allowed. But when I am looking at this year's NaNoWriMo board and see everyone writing along... It makes me so happy! I'm happy to see people write stories, do personal projects and hopefully have fun while doing so. I have read a few pieces and they are amazing! So whenever you read this and you participated in nano, please be proud of yourself! It is quite an impressive thing to do, no matter the word count you reached!!
Anonymous Kitsune wrote:I'm sorry, but morningstar is such a precious person!! He's doing such a wonderful job running that Afflatus; it's so smooth and flawless that there was literally no hiccups or issues when the Archivist changed!! Lots of love to both you and the amazing work you do!! <3
Anonymous Kistune wrote: periwinkle is an absolutely wonderful friend to have!! She's creative, kind, understanding and I love everything she writes so damn much!! I'm literally blessed to have her in my life and I just love this bean a lot!! <3
Anonymous Kitsune wrote:morningstar!!! is!!! so good!!! also!!! he!!! is!!! so good!!! at afflatussing!!!!
morningstar
Archivist

AS Afflatus - Issue 30 - Reminders & Point System

Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:19 pm

Image x
Just a couple of reminders for the Afflatus! x
1. Any entry submitted through the Google form is worth 5 points. Things that will be submitted through the Google form are:

xxxxxxxa. Dear Stag submissions
xxxxxxxb. Prompt Suggestions
xxxxxxxc. Featured Works Nominations
xxxxxxxd. Anonymous Compliments
xxxxxxxe. Member Corner Submissions
xxxxxxxf. Question Submissions
xxxxxxxg. Suggestions/Questions for the Afflatus or site

2. Dear Stag can feature anything you want to ask. This can be writing tips, life tips, advice, and so forth. Keep in mind that the Afflatus is posted once a month, so things that need to be answered urgently are not best to submit. Additionally, we are not professionals, so heavy matters should be discussed with a trusted adult. We will do our best to answer each submission every issue, but may have to save other matters for later issues.

3. Dear Stag submissions should be submitted by the end of the second week of the month, so that there is enough time to provide an adequate response to the submission.

4. The Featured Works segment can feature anything from the site. Roleplays, characters, art, personal writing. When submitting a featured work, please include the member's url, the url to the post and post title, and state what it is that is being featured. I will notify users that their work has been featured.

5. When submitting an anonymous compliment, please include username and link to their profile. I notify these users after each issue is posted so that they know they've received a compliment and it makes it easy to track them down in case usernames are changed!

6. When posting submissions to the thread, please make sure the name of the submission is in the title. So, if it's a character interview, please mention that in the title. If it is an activity, please put that in the title. However, it is not a big deal if it is forgotten, though it can clear up any potential confusion.

7. Please post each submission to the thread in separate posts. This makes tallying points much easier.

8. Remember, you can post up to two (2) character interviews/otp quizzes per issue and only one prompt per issue.

9. You are welcome to submit anything to the Member Corner, within reason. Book reviews, recipes, and anything else you can think of. Not everything will be able to used, but will certainly still count for points and saved for future use! The Member Corner will also be used to address any feedback received through the Google form.

10. At the end of the month I will post the following on the thread: "Any posts made after this will not count towards points." I will be trying to stay consistent with this and plan on doing this on the last day of every month by 11:30 PM CST time. Please note that if this doesn't happen for a day (or more) then you can assume it's fair game to submit more things to the thread, since it is likely taking some time to get the next issue out. The Google form, however, will be closed the night before the next issue.
x Points System x Through Google Form

Dear Stag Submission ……………………....................................... 5 points
Featured Works Nomination ………………................................... 5 points
Future Prompt Suggestion ………………...................................... 5 points
Compliment Submission ………………......................................... 5 points
Member Corner Submission ………………................................... 5 points
Character Interview Question Submission (min 5) ……........... 5 points
Member Interview Question Submission (min 5) ……............. 5 points
Feedback Submission ……………….............................................. 5 points

Through Thread

Character Interview/OTP Quiz Submission ………… 10 points
Member Interview Submission ………...................… 10 points

Prompt Submission
0-500 words ………………………. 10 points
500-1000 words ………………….. 20 points
1000-2000+ words ……………….. 30 points

Activity Participation - will vary depending on level of difficulty